PDA

View Full Version : James Campen Exit Interview

pbmax
01-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Campen speaks on ESPN Radio with Wilde and Tauscher: A not so live blog

How did leaving GB feel? Tough leaving so many relationships in building.

Called Cleveland a great organization, might be suffering emotional distress.

Kind words about welcoming nature of Packers org early in tenure.

What was it like going from Sherman to McCarthy? Similar to situation now. Waiting at desks in building. Recommended for interview (not clear by who but Philbin brought him to Sherman's staff) but nothing guaranteed. Spent hours with McCarthy then waited two days to get offer. Calls McCarthy a wonderful person and offered great opportunities.

Fell in love with Freddie Kitchens, no second thoughts about signing immediately with him.

How did he react to M3 getting let go? Happened quick. But we had a game to coach and had to put emotions aside. Weird having game plan room for first time in 13 years. But players need you to get them a plan and detail.

Very kind words for Wilde for doing research ahead of time and not trying to get garbage quotes.

Would not have stayed (at current position and salary) in GB given the offer he had from Cleveland, but was not asked to stay.

Kinds words about LaFleur's approach and communication with retained staff. Spent four hours with him last Friday. He does say he fought like hell to be here but ultimately was given permission to interview elsewhere.

Joe Thomas said if he could get the Chad Clifton treatment, he might come out of retirement. Apparently only practices on Saturday walkthroughs.

Bryan Bulaga said that Campen promised to reveal his favorite/best unit of his time in GB if he ever left. Campen agrees that this is true, but he didn't say when after his departure he would make his announcement. He says he'll be ready to make the call in 15 years.

Seems a little emotional when asked what he will miss most (answer: people). Seems like a sweet and funny guy. I think everyone on this call is genuinely sad he is leaving. Kinda moving.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25778881

Joemailman
01-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Article by Wilde about how much some of his players here appreciate him. https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/as-james-campen-departs-offensive-linemen-express-appreciation-disappointment/article_c79f5a5c-c9f7-53e8-927d-12de3aa8fad2.html

Always liked watching his PC's, although I always had the impression he'd have rather been sitting in a hunting or fishing lodge with a beer in his hand. That kind of guy.

pbmax
01-16-2019, 05:19 PM
from the madison.com article:

Since 2010, the Packers have had six linemen selected to the Pro Bowl — making Campen the only offensive line coach over that time to send that many linemen to the league’s annual all-star game.

Plus, from guards Josh Sitton (fourth round, 2008) and T.J. Lang (fourth round, 2009) to franchise left tackle David Bakhtiari (fourth round, 2013) and Linsley (fifth round, 2014), the Packers consistently developed mid-round picks into top-flight starters. The Packers also often entrusted Campen to take players who primarily played one position in college and convert them to starters elsewhere in the pros.

Fosco33
01-17-2019, 02:43 AM
I’d take Joe Thomas in a heartbeat!

MadScientist
01-17-2019, 08:55 AM
I think everyone on this call is genuinely sad he is leaving. Kinda moving.

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=25778881

Not everyone here is sad he is going.

It's finally time to change my 'Fire James Campen' signature.

call_me_ishmael
01-17-2019, 09:42 AM
Why would anyone dislike Campen? The Packers line has been tremendous - at or near the top of the league performance wise - for many years despite rarely investing top draft picks. He is obviously a very good coach paired with a unique ability to find the right players later in the draft.

Just think about this for a second:

1. When healthy, Bulaga is generally considered the best or one of the top 5 RTs in the league. When healthy is the key part.

2. 4th rounder Bakhtiari is considered a premier, top 1-3 LT in the league.

3. 4th rounder TJ Lang developed into a top 2-3 RG in the league.

4. 4th rounder Josh Sitton developed into the top LG in the league.

5. 5th rounder Corey Linsley developed into a top 10 center in the league.

That 2014 line was a historically good line. My goodness.

pbmax
01-17-2019, 09:58 AM
^ Prior to Sitton, they had trouble replacing both Guards and the center. Colledge and Spitz were functional but not pro bowlers and it looked like the line was on borrowed time until Sitton came along.

Spitz got hurt on a switch to center and was never the same. Remember when we were all rooting for Grey Rueggamer and EDS to make quality starts?

mraynrand
01-17-2019, 10:40 AM
So we believe that coaching matters, not just the inherent talents of the players? I thought Rodgers became great via strictly autonomous means. Why is that not true for linemen as well?

pbmax
01-17-2019, 11:11 AM
^ Its almost as if a multi variable equation, requires multiple valid inputs to produce the results you want.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2019, 11:43 AM
I’d take Joe Thomas in a heartbeat!

I was thinking the same thing. If he came out of retirement to play for the Packers, would we need to make a deal with the Browns to get his rights, or just sign him?

MadScientist
01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Why would anyone dislike Campen? The Packers line has been tremendous - at or near the top of the league performance wise - for many years despite rarely investing top draft picks. He is obviously a very good coach paired with a unique ability to find the right players later in the draft.
The Packers line has been vastly overrated. For Campen's first 5-6 years they would start the season like complete dog shit - zero holes in the run game and piss poor pass blocking. Only the otherworldly play of first Favre then Rodgers kept the teams afloat until the line could get their collective heads out of their asses. They would finish strong and the Packers would have a good record and people would forget how bad the line was at the start of the year. Whatever metrics show the line has been great just don't measure up with what can actually be seen. So in my book, good riddance. Get ready to run for your life Mayfield.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2019, 02:26 PM
The Packers line has been vastly overrated. For Campen's first 5-6 years they would start the season like complete dog shit - zero holes in the run game and piss poor pass blocking. Only the otherworldly play of first Favre then Rodgers kept the teams afloat until the line could get their collective heads out of their asses. They would finish strong and the Packers would have a good record and people would forget how bad the line was at the start of the year. Whatever metrics show the line has been great just don't measure up with what can actually be seen. So in my book, good riddance. Get ready to run for your life Mayfield.

+ 1 ....... Hell Yeah!

pbmax
01-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Campen has been with the team for 15+ years. HIs first 5-6 years coincided with two good, experienced tackles who started to get hurt and pretty middling players in the center of the line. I would take exception to the idea that the O line was crap in 09 and 10 though. A crap O line did not stop the Steelers in the SB.

As the talent got better, talent that Campen helped develop. the line played better.

So we can say until 2018, the unit he coached for those 9-10 years was a great pass blocking unit and a fair to middling run blocking unit.

mraynrand
01-17-2019, 02:40 PM
I would take exception to the idea that the O line was crap in 09 and 10 though.

Yep, that was a solid O-line. They struggled in Detroit, but so did Vince's squad.

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2019, 09:47 PM
So there you have the two points of view ....... I'll stick with what MadScientist had to say.

Bretsky
01-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Back in the days when angry rats wanted Campen's head on a platter, I had his back.

I'll miss Campen; odds are strong we'll see a downgrade there

mraynrand
01-18-2019, 09:21 AM
Back in the days when angry rats wanted Campen's head on a platter, I had his back.

He appreciates it

pbmax
01-18-2019, 09:57 AM
There is a lot of history behind the Campen story. Before he was a focus, we used to debate Ted ignoring the interior O line position (and the O line in general) in the draft.

The there was the debate about Jagodzinski leaving the team in a ZBS bind.

Then the problem was the type of player drafted (current or former tackles). Then we got to Campen.

Pugger
01-18-2019, 10:08 AM
I listened to the podcast and it appears Campen left because he got a better job that the offer he got from MLF. He is now not just the OL coach but the assistant HC in Cleveland. He was very gracious in what he said about MLF and wished him the Packers well. That IMO says a lot about both men.

Fritz
01-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Sounds like he is a classy guy. Since he's gone now, I think we can give the guy the benefit of the doubt (due to his being so classy) and say he did a great job.

If he'd burned bridges on his way out, I would proclaim him to have been an awful coach.

Even though it doesn't matter either way, since he's gone now.

Rastak
01-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Sounds like he is a classy guy. Since he's gone now, I think we can give the guy the benefit of the doubt (due to his being so classy) and say he did a great job.

If he'd burned bridges on his way out, I would proclaim him to have been an awful coach.

Even though it doesn't matter either way, since he's gone now.

LOL, this rings so true....I guess basic human nature.

run pMc
01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
I was on the Fire Campen bandwagon for his first few years and then climbed off. I admit he was able to develop some of the talent, and got good games/stretches from UDFA's. Best of luck to him, and here's hoping the new OL coach does even better.