PDA

View Full Version : Bobbles Offseason Position group breakdown: Running backs

bobblehead
01-19-2019, 12:12 AM
What can go right: Laflavor uses the position the way successful coaches have been using it for the last 5 years. Jones shows he has the ability to run a route and make things happen after the catch. Williams stuns me by being much better in the pass catching role than he is in the running role. Packers take a back in the first round for first time since Brent Fulwood.

If only we had a running back who used to play receiver and was really efficient at running routes...where could we find someone like that? I expect we take a back in the first 2 rounds this year. I don't expect to sink the cash it would take for Leveon Bell, but there are guys who are serviceable...besides, I still think the line makes the back. Don't believe me...ask CJ Anderson.

What could go wrong: Jones is a great runner, but doesn't have the hands it takes for this role. Williams continues to run into his OL instead of the holes. We try to draft a guy in the 6th round thinking he will be the next Terrell Davis.

This is a position group I could see going either way more than any other. We just don't know enough about Jones and Williams as receivers and Gutes might just decide that the young guys will fill the role. And if we don't fix the OL, its unlikely anyone will have great success running the ball.

Bottom line: I think we will be ok. The scheme will provide for some opportunities for whoever we line up to make some catches and move chains. I am such a fan of the ZBS done correctly I wanted Gary Kubiak for a head coach just so I could see it done correctly. Hopefully LaFlavor gets it right and coaches it up. I'll be watching the OL a lot closer than the RB's, but that is discussion for another thread.

texaspackerbacker
01-19-2019, 02:16 AM
Sheeeesh! A running back in the first round? You've got to be kidding. The 6th round if at all is about right. They should all be used as a change of pace anyway. Nothing wrong with throwing to the backs once in a while if the situation calls for it. Williams already has done a good job catching passes, and Jones hasn't shown anything to be negative about. The greater need is for them to be able to pass block when, as is inevitable, the O Line springs a leak.

Joemailman
01-19-2019, 06:14 AM
There don't appear to be any RB's this year who are a candidate to be drafted as high as #12. After that, anything is possible. Jones is dynamic, but has shown a penchant for knee sprains.

Pugger
01-19-2019, 08:20 AM
I'd prefer we use our 2 first round draft picks on another position rather than RB.

pbmax
01-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Too negative about Jones and Williams. They work as a pair with different strengths and weaknesses so should fit same scheme. They do enough well to be very good. Injuries for Jones are a concern.

So need a backup. Which is why the trade of Monty was dumb.

Pugger
01-20-2019, 07:58 AM
Too negative about Jones and Williams. They work as a pair with different strengths and weaknesses so should fit same scheme. They do enough well to be very good. Injuries for Jones are a concern.

So need a backup. Which is why the trade of Monty was dumb.

I have been wondering why we traded Ty. I have a hard time believing it was because of that boneheaded move in LA last season. Was he too a malcontent along with Ha Ha and D. Randall? If so things were a lot worse in that locker room that folks in GB are letting on.

Bretsky
01-20-2019, 10:48 AM
I would agree that he was a malcontent.....

bobblehead
01-20-2019, 12:37 PM
I would agree that he was a malcontent.....

Possibly he was a bit malcontent, hard to say from outside looking in. I think MM was in survival mode and he has scapegoated players before.

I would be malcontent if I came in as a WR, changed positions for the good of the team, but probably detriment to my career and all my coach kept saying was "PASS BLOCK BETTER" and never had me run any routes.

Again, hard to say from outside, no question MM ran a tight ship with attitudes. Shipped out Sitton with a relatively cheap year left on his contract at 11th hour. Cut Bostic after mismanaging game (but Bostic did try to play hero instead of his role).Maybe Monty was a bit chippy, but maybe MM is thin skinned also. In todays game you have to be a leader of young men and get the best out of them while managing egos and attitudes. MM lost his ability to do that in the latter stages.

Fritz
01-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Possibly he was a bit malcontent, hard to say from outside looking in. I think MM was in survival mode and he has scapegoated players before.

I would be malcontent if I came in as a WR, changed positions for the good of the team, but probably detriment to my career and all my coach kept saying was "PASS BLOCK BETTER" and never had me run any routes.

Again, hard to say from outside, no question MM ran a tight ship with attitudes. Shipped out Sitton with a relatively cheap year left on his contract at 11th hour. Cut Bostic after mismanaging game (but Bostic did try to play hero instead of his role).Maybe Monty was a bit chippy, but maybe MM is thin skinned also. In todays game you have to be a leader of young men and get the best out of them while managing egos and attitudes. MM lost his ability to do that in the latter stages.

It always seeems strange that Montgomery suddenly got tagged as a malcontent after one play in one game. Normally, those kinds of players grumble enough publicly that we get a sense of who they are. But not a peep about Monty. Hell, he did Clubhouse live for a while. Seemed articulate and personable.

pbmax
01-20-2019, 03:39 PM
It always seeems strange that Montgomery suddenly got tagged as a malcontent after one play in one game. Normally, those kinds of players grumble enough publicly that we get a sense of who they are. But not a peep about Monty. Hell, he did Clubhouse live for a while. Seemed articulate and personable.

Dix made more sense, not only for what they got for him, but also the reason.

Sitton made slightly more sense (griping in the offseason about the predictable offense) but the timing was very strange.

Monty was a scapegoat job all the way.

I agree, McCarthy was getting distracted by things he shouldn't have been thinking about. He needed a scheme or play calling rethink, not to move up to Junior GM.

run pMc
01-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Ty shouldn't have spoken (or at least said much) to reporters after the Rams game...that would have saved him. Speaking publicly like he did -- and then having the unnamed player(s) talking to Mike Silver -- was a bad look overall. There was no way he could stay on the team -- he'd be a pariah in the locker room.

Pass pro did not come naturally to him, and M3 rarely seemed to use him correctly anyway.

As for Jones/Williams, I think they are capable duo. Williams needs to run with more patience and he'll be fine, Jones needs to stay healthy. I could see them taking a flier on somebody, but I'd be surprised if they spend anything higher than a Day 3 pick on a RB unless it's someone who fell significantly on draft day. I wouldn't be against them bringing in a bunch of guys to fight for the 3rd RB spot and maybe replace one or the other of Williams/Jones when their contracts expire.

Alvin Kamara and James White were major pass catching weapons yesterday, and even Damien Williams was doing damage. Gurley's been a machine all year -- successful offenses are using RBs in the passing game, sometimes (gasp!) even featuring them as 1st reads.
Plenty of teams lack LBs who can cover; M3 didn't exploit that enough, and it seems like it would be easier to do vs., say, finding a TE who can both block, catch, and run.

run pMc
01-22-2019, 03:31 PM
I will say that I wouldn't be upset if Bryce Love is sitting there in R3 or 4 and the Packers take him. Can run the Shanahan outside zone, looks like he can catch, and if he gets a step he's gone. No idea if he can pass pro, but I wouldn't use him for that. You could have him return kicks too.
He's a bigger Tarik Cohen and a matchup problem if used correctly.

mraynrand
01-23-2019, 09:12 AM
successful offenses are using RBs in the passing game, sometimes (gasp!) even featuring them as 1st reads.
Plenty of teams lack LBs who can cover; M3 didn't exploit that enough, and it seems like it would be easier to do vs., say, finding a TE who can block, catch, and run.

Good point

Teamcheez1
01-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Just go ahead and sign Kareem Hunt. He will be rested and ready after serving half the season on suspension and give this team a real boost headed into the home stretch.

beveaux1
01-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Good article that shows Williams blocking acumen.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/1/25/18195019/packers-film-room-is-jamaal-williams-green-bays-best-fullback

Fritz
01-26-2019, 10:57 AM
I say draft a running back if it's your turn and one is sitting atop your draft board. Or if you see a superstar-in-the-making and it won't kill you to move up.

Jones seems not durable. Jamaal Williams is a nice complementary piece.

Joemailman
01-26-2019, 03:18 PM
I say draft a running back if it's your turn and one is sitting atop your draft board. Or if you see a superstar-in-the-making and it won't kill you to move up.

Jones seems not durable. Jamaal Williams is a nice complementary piece.

Plus, they have no real depth behind Jones and Williams. Also, LaFleur showed this year, he's willing to use 2 RB's at the same time.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2019, 03:28 PM
There are a LOT of decent RBs coming out of college every year that will be available in late rounds or free agency. Pick up 2 or 3 of those and keep one. Another question with the new coach is do we keep a fullback? Tennessee did not last year, although they did keep a lot of TEs, several of which were used as fullbacks.

Fritz
01-29-2019, 11:45 AM
Talent, baby, talent. If it's your turn, whatever round it is, and you are convinced that there's a running back that is head and shoulders above everyone else on your board, then draft him. Even at #12. If it's a tossup, then, okay, factor in need and the positional strength of the draft and all that jazz.

C'mon, Tex. Admit it. If a player as obviously talented as Ezekiel Elliot somehow slid to #12 because everybody figured it's not a good position to draft so high, wouldn't you want that guy on your team? Imagine how much better Rodgers would be.

Carolina_Packer
01-29-2019, 12:04 PM
Talent, baby, talent. If it's your turn, whatever round it is, and you are convinced that there's a running back that is head and shoulders above everyone else on your board, then draft him. Even at #12. If it's a tossup, then, okay, factor in need and the positional strength of the draft and all that jazz.

C'mon, Tex. Admit it. If a player as obviously talented as Ezekiel Elliot somehow slid to #12 because everybody figured it's not a good position to draft so high, wouldn't you want that guy on your team? Imagine how much better Rodgers would be.

It certainly worked out well during the first round of the 2005 draft to take the best player available, even at a position that wasn't screaming for need. Can you imagine if TT had chosen that draft to pick for need? Was he lucky? On some level, yes, but he did stick with BAP and it paid off big time.

texaspackerbacker
01-29-2019, 01:15 PM

I still wouldn't draft a RB that high - partly because there have been way more failures than extreme successes, partly because so many good RBs get drafted later, partly because the Packers O Line is substandard and Elliot or somebody similar might not be as successful here, partly because the Packers have other more pressing needs, and MOSTLY because when you have Aaron Rodgers, you just are not gonna be a run first team, or at least it would be stupid to try and become one.

bobblehead
05-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Going to sort of reset my offseason stuff since I started too early. Not much changed at RB except we took a RB in the 6th round as I feared. Would have like to had one much sooner, but when you trade both your 4ths....

Joemailman
05-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Dexter Williams is pretty good. He would have been drafted earlier if not for some off field stuff. Pretty good trio of players here. Lafleur can make this work.

bobblehead
05-27-2019, 11:34 AM
Dexter Williams is pretty good. He would have been drafted earlier if not for some off field stuff. Pretty good trio of players here. Lafleur can make this work.

Agreed. He was a great value pick where we got him. If his offseason stuff becomes an issue jettisoning a 6th round pick isn't a big deal.

pbmax
05-28-2019, 07:44 AM
What could go wrong: Jones is a great runner, but doesn't have the hands it takes for this role. Williams continues to run into his OL instead of the holes. We try to draft a guy in the 6th round thinking he will be the next Terrell Davis

You are halfway to the message board Hall of Fame here.

pbmax
05-28-2019, 07:51 AM
Agreed. He was a great value pick where we got him. If his offseason stuff becomes an issue jettisoning a 6th round pick isn't a big deal.

He also got some rave reviews at the underwear Olympics in the last month.

EDIT: Sorry, that is the Combine.

... rave reviews at the T-shirt and shorts Olympics ...