PDA

View Full Version : Read This, Be Smarter: You Are Drinking Too Much

pbmax
02-06-2019, 08:30 AM
when exercising. Its also not really helping with your calf pulls.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-dont-need-sports-drinks-to-stay-hydrated/

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2019, 09:03 AM
The stuff tastes like watered down piss - and no, I didn't ever taste that. The best auto mechanic I ever knew said water is a lot better in a radiator than anti-freeze. I can't help thinking the same is true hydrating the body - Gatorade, etc. being the equivalent of the anti-freeze.

If you go far enough back in the day, they used to tell us don't drink during strenuous exercise - it will give you cramps. I drank a lot of water back then anyway, and I still drink a lot when I play tennis - and of course, nobody is as healthy as I am at age 71. I get my "electrolytes" by loading my food with delicious salt.

denverYooper
02-06-2019, 02:25 PM
But it's got electrolytes, it's what plants crave.

ZachMN
02-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Water is more efficient at dissipating heat than antifreeze......I try to hydrate before I skate and during...you have to get a feel for what your body needs when exercising.....I agree just drink water and eat salty and sugary snacks.....

hoosier
02-06-2019, 03:37 PM
I don't have time to read the whole thing, but if hyponatremia is the problem then Gatorade aint what's causing it. There's nothing wrong with a little gatorade, but in my experience this is a much better post-run recovery aid:

https://cdn.beeradvocate.com/im/beers/57471.jpg

run pMc
02-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Two women for post-recovery. I like it.

pbmax
02-06-2019, 06:01 PM
The stuff tastes like watered down piss - and no, I didn't ever taste that. The best auto mechanic I ever knew said water is a lot better in a radiator than anti-freeze. I can't help thinking the same is true hydrating the body - Gatorade, etc. being the equivalent of the anti-freeze.

If you go far enough back in the day, they used to tell us don't drink during strenuous exercise - it will give you cramps. I drank a lot of water back then anyway, and I still drink a lot when I play tennis - and of course, nobody is as healthy as I am at age 71. I get my "electrolytes" by loading my food with delicious salt.

Talk to me about water only in your radiator under 0 degrees overnight with the car parked at a hotel. Wait, this reminds me of the DieHard battery ads at Three Rivers Stadium.

I think antifreeze also gives you about 10 degrees higher boiling point.

Any radiator in the last 30 years (or more) is built to take advantage of the additives so the tank doesn't corrode as fast as it normally would.

#FORWARD!

texaspackerbacker
02-07-2019, 11:49 AM
hahahahaha I expected that, and of course, you're right about no anti-freeze in cold Wisconsin weather. The mechanic I'm talking about has lived all his life in Texas, and I've lived here nearly 50 years. Down here, the "coolant" aspect of anti-freeze is the main thing, and the guy told me water works best for that. I suppose you're right about the less corrosion in more recent radiators too.

George Cumby
02-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Pickle brine. Clausen's. Ice cold. Pure Liquid Rejuvenation.

Don't think it works in radiators, though.

Guiness
02-12-2019, 09:09 AM
I fully expected to open this thread and the top post was going to be 'nt'

KYPack
02-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Pickle brine. Clausen's. Ice cold. Pure Liquid Rejuvenation.

Don't think it works in radiators, though.

Best thing in the world for muscle cramps.

Fritz
02-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Dammit, KY, I wish you hadn't turned down the ST gig in Green Bay.

Carolina_Packer
02-12-2019, 11:21 AM

I also heard of a baseball player with cramping issues and the doctors prescribed...potato chips. Remember taking salt pills after workouts?

pbmax
02-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Isn't the thinking now that many muscle cramps are mostly fatigue or fatigue/injury and that pickle brine and potato chips will not help?

George Cumby
02-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Isn't the thinking now that many muscle cramps are mostly fatigue or fatigue/injury and that pickle brine and potato chips will not help?

I’m super prone to cramping in my quads. Epic level. Plagued me for years. Pickle brine knocks that shit right out either prophlactically or after the cramps have set in.

hoosier
02-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Pickle juice helps relieve the symptoms of post-exercise cramping but there's no evidence it helps ward them off. The beneficial effects don't seem to have anything to do with body chemistry, it's probably neurological. Potato chips do nothing for cramps but they do taste mighty good, especially after gatorade.

Speaking of chemistry, what happened to Tex? Did he get sent away?

George Cumby
02-15-2019, 09:44 PM
Pickle juice helps relieve the symptoms of post-exercise cramping but there's no evidence it helps ward them off. The beneficial effects don't seem to have anything to do with body chemistry, it's probably neurological. Potato chips do nothing for cramps but they do taste mighty good, especially after gatorade.

Speaking of chemistry, what happened to Tex? Did he get sent away?

IME, if I've had a hard day working in hot weather, I drink pickle brine, no cramps. I do the same and not drink the brine, cramps. n=1.

hoosier
02-16-2019, 08:58 PM
We would have to clone you and give your clone brine placebo to really know.