PDA

View Full Version : Montravious Adams - did the light come on without us noticing?

Patler
02-25-2019, 08:38 AM
I found this interesting:

"A no-show much of the first 25 or so games of his career, Adams started to come around when injuries to Kenny Clark and Daniels forced him to play. In Games 9-16, he played 173 snaps and had three sacks, two tackles for loss and drew a holding penalty."

From Silverstein article:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/02/25/silverstein-who-should-stay-who-should-go-packers-roster/2956335002/

Deputy Nutz
02-25-2019, 09:09 AM
The guy had injury issues when he was drafted, missed most of his 2017 rookie year. The talent and skill level has been their but his transition into the NFL has been sidetracked by injuries. So if he can stay healthy I think the guy has some skills to help this defense

Joemailman
02-25-2019, 09:17 AM
He did play well. But when a team is having a disappointing season, a backup DT making some plays goes under the radar. He'll be a player to watch his year with Mike Daniels entering the last year of his contract.

KYPack
02-25-2019, 11:12 AM
The guy had injury issues when he was drafted, missed most of his 2017 rookie year. The talent and skill level has been their but his transition into the NFL has been sidetracked by injuries. So if he can stay healthy I think the guy has some skills to help this defense

He's maturing. He's real violent with his hands. Last season was such a blur, I don't remember any sacks from the Mount, let alone 3.

Joemailman
02-25-2019, 11:29 AM
For the record, Adams had 1.5 sacks last year. The overall point though, that he showed some real potential is valid.

Packers had a combined 12.5 sacks from Clark, Lowry, Daniels and Adams. That's not bad, and I think they have the potential to do better with a little more help from the outside.

pbmax
02-25-2019, 11:53 AM
The Packers had a problem not with the total number of sacks (weren't they eighth in the League?) but the old bugaboo: lack of consistent pressure. One of the two good things Pettine got done (overall pass D upgrade before injuries was the other) was create pressure through stunts as much as blitzes. He did not blitz as much as Capers had to get the pressure numbers. Packers had 44 sacks, 4 above the mean.

Even more interesting are the run D numbers. Packers didn't measure well under the normal rankings. Even Football Outsiders had then 27th in adjusted line yards given up. But they were OK in several specific areas (10th in stuffing short yardage, 7th in second level yards and 9th in open field yardage). Which means they generally gave up yardage in early downs and with longer yards to go situation. But in certain run situations and in the second level, they were pretty solid.

Which is a long way round to my point about Adams. The only thing I don't like about him is that on a double team he gets moved or washed out. He will need help inside until he figures that out.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Fritz
02-27-2019, 01:45 PM
I did see him get pushed around a lot by double teams. I'm not sure if he really improved, and I'm not really sure if Spriggs was worse than we thought, or if the JSO just needs content.

I hope Adams really is improving, and maybe can learn to anchor a bit so he can then be on the field and help get some pass rush. He's supposedly very talented, according to what his teammates were saying about him as a rookie in training camp, though the team said the same things in training camp about Datone Jones his first year.

Then they both got hurt.

gbgary
02-28-2019, 05:09 PM
he's a backup. he performed like a decent backup. he'll remain a backup as long as daniels/clark are there. daniels comes up for free agency after next season...clark and adams after the 2020 season. i don't see him going anywhere as long as he keeps improving. might end up a starter.

Joemailman
07-29-2019, 05:43 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/29/most-improved-packers-defender-mike-pettine-picks-dl-montravius-adams/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine highlighted Adams as the team’s most improved defensive player to start 2019.

“If I had to vote somebody for most improved from a year ago, it’d be Montravius. It’s been pretty obvious with him,” Pettine said Monday.

The Packers defensive coordinator was honest about his first impression of Adams and how far he’s come since then.

“When I first got here (last year), my opinion wasn’t real high. And he knows that,” Pettine said. “We challenged him, and (defensive line coach) Jerry Montgomery has done an outstanding job with Mon. And Mon has taken the challenge. He came back from the offseason, he lost a bunch of weight. By the end of last year, he was playing some quality minutes for us and made some plays. I wouldn’t have predicted that. He’s a guy we’re going to depend on.”

Pettine said Adams used flashes of playmaking ability late in the 2018 season to fuel his confidence and create the groundwork for a productive offseason. Adams played 10 or more defensive snaps in nine straight games to end last season and was on the field for 76 snaps over the final two games.

Those snaps helped convince Adams he could play at a high level in the NFL.

“He’s already shown flashes of (starting ability),” Pettine said. “With his weight down, he just made a play in practice where he penetrated, put his foot in the ground and went and chased the ball carrier down. You wouldn’t have seen that a year ago. I think the confidence at the end of last season that he got from going out there and playing, I think that really propelled him into the offseason to show up in April and be ready to go. He’s been impressive since the day he came back.”

Adams, a third-round pick of the Packers in 2017, is now comfortable in Pettine’s system, improved from a technical standpoint and in the best shape of his professional career.

“All of it. He’s much more comfortable in the system, he knows it now,” Pettine said. “The technique part, I think Jerry is one of the best technique teachers in the league, that I’ve been around. Just a tribute to him, when he hasn’t been here in the offseason, sometimes you worry about that with the big guys, but he came back in shape. It’s a tribute to him, how he’s changed his body.”

Adams’ all-around improvement coincides perfectly with an opportunity to play a much bigger role on the Packers defense. Gone is Mike Daniels, who was released by the Packers before the start of camp. Through the first four practices, Adams has been the defensive lineman taking a majority of first-team reps in place of Daniels.

More than anyone, Mount Adams will determine whether cutting Daniels was a good move or a mistake.

SMBASS
07-29-2019, 06:46 PM

RashanGary
07-29-2019, 07:13 PM
Lowry should have slight improvement
Clark should still improve. He’s only 23
Lancaster should improve
Sounds like Montravius improved a lot
Z and Gary should help the interior pass rush

I like our chances of replacing Daniels with the group.

gbgary
07-29-2019, 08:17 PM

George Cumby
07-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Man, Pettine wasn’t pulling punches there. Lol.

RashanGary
07-30-2019, 05:46 PM
Montravius down to 299, did a bunch of sprints. I’m excited to see dude play this year! I don’t buy all the coach speak that comes out in a TC, but if you listen to the Adams stuff, and look at his body and add it to last years competitive showing, I am buying the Mont Adams hype.

I’m not buying Josh Jones or Oren Burks. That sounds like, saying something nice cuz you have to coach speak. I don’t buy it at all.

texaspackerbacker
07-30-2019, 09:53 PM
The praise for Burks that I read was spoken by "Coach" Blake Martinez.

bobblehead
07-31-2019, 12:56 AM
Montravius down to 299, did a bunch of sprints. I’m excited to see dude play this year! I don’t buy all the coach speak that comes out in a TC, but if you listen to the Adams stuff, and look at his body and add it to last years competitive showing, I am buying the Mont Adams hype.

I’m not buying Josh Jones or Oren Burks. That sounds like, saying something nice cuz you have to coach speak. I don’t buy it at all.

Burks is working on the right things, but not having football instincts is almost uncoachable. Jones will simply come down to if he is dedicated to playing the position that matches his skill set.

RashanGary
07-31-2019, 07:43 AM
I think jones lacks football instincts as well

RashanGary
07-31-2019, 07:46 AM
Montravius ran a 4.86 at 306 pounds. He’s in the best shape of his life and still young. He might be 4.76 at this point in his life. That’s kind of freaky deaky and it makes total sense why they like having that kind of speed on the end of the DL. He should be able to chase down plays and chase down QBs. Lowry ran a fast 40 too. So both ends of their 3 man line can run. That’s a luxury. When the OLB drops into coverage, it’s nice to have your end DL have speed like a linebacker to really defend that much space. Both sides of our line have that quality.

The makeup of our defense, not just the individula players, but how it comes together is getting me fired up

pbmax
07-31-2019, 07:55 AM
I think jones lacks football instincts as well

Both Jones and Burks are basically effecting position changes. And they don't react with honed instincts. Jones is closer, he loves to go forward. But he also held out which indicates he is not happy about this.

Patler
07-31-2019, 08:43 AM
I believe the Montravious Adam's hype because veteran players spoke highly of him as a rookie:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/07/31/foot-injury-sideline-packers-dl-montravius-adams-weeks/524761001/

“His pass-rush moves are ridiculous,” veteran defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois said. “I thought it would take him a while to adjust to the NFL and have to change from college moves to NFL moves, but I think he already adjusted.
“It’s just sad that he got hurt and he’s got to sit out a lot.”

“There’s no question in my mind he’s going to be a great player in this league,” said nose tackle Kenny Clark, a first-round pick in 2016. “The main thing I can say about ‘Mon’ is that he’s explosive. When he gets off the ball and does it right, there’s nobody who can stop him off the ball.

“Just the first two days of practice, his explosiveness, how he gets upfield, he looked real good.”

Jean Francois went even further in his evaluation of Adams. He said before the injury, he was convinced the rookie was going to be on the field rushing the passer in the Sept. 10 season opener against Seattle.
“He’s a pretty special kid,” Jean Francois said. “When third down comes up, I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s on that field. If he’s on that field, I’m betting money on him getting to that quarterback first.
“He has pass-rush moves. I just wish he could have developed his game a lot more.”

He had foot surgery as a rookie and didn't play much that season. Apparently started finding his way when given opportunities the second half of his second season. Sounds like a typical development slowed and delayed by the foot surgery as a rookie.

run pMc
07-31-2019, 09:27 AM
I think the hype means more coming from the DC vs. another player...but I'll wait until the games start. It would be nice to see him pan out. He's supposedly freaky athletic for his size; he just needs to put it all together. Plus, learning DL isn't always easy.

Patler
08-01-2019, 09:24 AM
I think the hype means more coming from the DC vs. another player...but I'll wait until the games start. It would be nice to see him pan out. He's supposedly freaky athletic for his size; he just needs to put it all together. Plus, learning DL isn't always easy.

Hype coming from veterans in the same position group about a rookie the first week of camp is a bit unusual, I think. Those comments from two years ago, coupled with the coaches comments this year make me think there might be something there.

ThunderDan
08-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Hype coming from veterans in the same position group about a rookie the first week of camp is a bit unusual, I think. Those comments from two years ago, coupled with the coaches comments this year make me think there might be something there.

Montravious was one of the top recruits out of HS if I remember correctly. 5 star recruit.

He was a guy who never lived up to the hype in college. If the coaches at GB can finally get the switch to flip he certainly has the physical tools to excel in the NFL.

I hope this reporting is true and not just another coached saying something nice about a player piece.

texaspackerbacker
08-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Him and now Gary ....... Going after top H.S. recruits seems to be turning into a drafting strategy.

mraynrand
08-01-2019, 04:32 PM
You just can’t teach size/speed/strength like Mt. Adams. Saw him pregame at Cleveland in 2017. He is just enormous. Actually the last guys who impressed me as much physically were Harrell on Defense and Giacomini on offense.

Fritz
08-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Him and now Gary ....... Going after top H.S. recruits seems to be turning into a drafting strategy.

Maybe Gute can spend some 6th and 7th round picks on high school kids, and see if he can work around NFL rules and lure the kids into the NFL.

Cheesehead Craig
08-02-2019, 12:26 PM
Maybe Gute can spend some 6th and 7th round picks on high school kids, and see if he can work around NFL rules and lure the kids into the NFL.

Luring high school kids? Man, that sounds like a guy who wants to show you a puppy in his van that has no windows.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-02-2019, 01:18 PM
You just can’t teach size/speed/strength like Mt. Adams. Saw him pregame at Cleveland in 2017. He is just enormous. Actually the last guys who impressed me as much physically were Harrell on Defense and Giacomini on offense.

Adams looks a lot like Cletidus Hunt to me.

Quick, post that Hunt cartoon pic of yours again, but switch the number to 90. You will notice the similarities.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Adams likely was out of shape, ala Cletidus Hunt after his contract extension.

Hunt was a baller prior to the extension. I don’t blame Sherman for locking up the guy.

Fritz
08-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Luring high school kids? Man, that sounds like a guy who wants to show you a puppy in his van that has no windows.

More and more, the NFL seems exactly like a guy who wants to show you a puppy in his rusty, white, windowless van.

Patler
08-03-2019, 01:45 AM
Adams likely was out of shape, ala Cletidus Hunt after his contract extension.

He broke his foot and had surgery during his first training camp. Not sure how long that affected him. Could have been the better part of a year, thus coming on the latter part of his second season.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-03-2019, 02:58 AM
He broke his foot and had surgery during his first training camp. Not sure how long that affected him. Could have been the better part of a year, thus coming on the latter part of his second season.

Reading between the lines regarding Pettine’s quote on Adams (Packersnews), Pettine sounded like someone who was annoyed by Adams’ lack of professionalism, not his injury history. Pettine was like, I was not impressed by Adams’ conditioning at all; dude was too fat.

Joemailman
08-03-2019, 08:06 AM
Both Jones and Burks are basically effecting position changes. And they don't react with honed instincts. Jones is closer, he loves to go forward. But he also held out which indicates he is not happy about this.

I don't get Jones' opposition to playing S/LB. The NFL on defense is trending toward hybrid positions, and at 220 lbs, Jones is perfectly suited for that position. Top ILB's make better money than top SS's, and comparable money to top FS's.

RashanGary
08-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Reading between the lines regarding Pettine’s quote on Adams (Packersnews), Pettine sounded like someone who was annoyed by Adams’ lack of professionalism, not his injury history. Pettine was like, I was not impressed by Adams’ conditioning at all; dude was too fat.

Agree. It sounded like Adams wasn’t being a dedicated pro to me as well. But it sounds like the light went on. The shape he came back in is impressive. You can’t do that without commitment.

I definitely do think the foot affected his ability to really fully showcase his natural physical talent slowed him a little too.

But now everything seems to be lined up where this year we see the best of Mont Adams.

RashanGary
08-03-2019, 08:22 AM
One cool thing about Adams is he ran a 4.87 coming out of college at 306 pounds. Now, in the best shape of his career and 299 pounds maybe he’s 4.80. Lowry was a 4.87 guy too. So we have two well conditioned end pieces that maybe don’t chase down plays quite like an inside linebacker but it’s a hell of a lot better than having a slow guy like Daniels later in his career. I think we’ll see some better movement this year from mont than we did Daniels.

pbmax
08-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Coaches love to flatten out narrative history to omit key facts in order to reinforce a lesson.

Adams: I broke my foot.

Coach P: Don't get fat and sloppy.

Adams: Foot is all better now.

Coach P: You got fat and sloppy.