PDA

View Full Version : Dee Ford

red
03-09-2019, 03:10 PM
seems like packers are one of 2 teams interested in trading for dee ford

he was tagged by the chiefs last week and may be had for a 2nd round pick

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/3/9/18257404/report-green-bay-packers-san-francisco-49ers-expressing-interest-in-dee-ford

he would take up a lot of money though

red
03-09-2019, 03:24 PM
you could easily offset ford by releasing perry

then you still have around 35 million. thats enough to sign 2 nice safeties and maybe a lineman that can play guard/tackle right away

draft another pass rusher with one of the 2 first round picks, then go best available the rest of the way

that puts us in pretty decent shape

IF, you think dee ford is the answer at OLB

cheesner
03-10-2019, 01:02 PM
13 sacks last season. The previous 4 season he has 17.5 total sacks. This guy is a Nick Perry Part Duex. I say pass on him.

Joemailman
03-10-2019, 03:38 PM
13 sacks last season. The previous 4 season he has 17.5 total sacks. This guy is a Nick Perry Part Duex. I say pass on him.

Perry has had 1 season in which he was healthy. Ford has had 1 season in which he was injury prone. His career got off to a slow start the first 2 years, but not due to injuries. I'd give up a 2nd for him, especially since we have 2 1st round picks. Sure you can draft an EDGE with the #12 pick, but there's no guarantee he'll be as good as Ford is now. He's about to turn just 28, just has his best year, and the Packers have the coach who coached him to his best year last year.

Bretsky
03-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Perry has had 1 season in which he was healthy. Ford has had 1 season in which he was injury prone. His career got off to a slow start the first 2 years, but not due to injuries. I'd give up a 2nd for him, especially since we have 2 1st round picks. Sure you can draft an EDGE with the #12 pick, but there's no guarantee he'll be as good as Ford is now. He's about to turn just 28, just has his best year, and the Packers have the coach who coached him to his best year last year.

Dee Ford is a lot better than Perry IMO

I'd offer a 3rd and a late rounder but a second would be fine.

Then draft one more at least

cheesner
03-10-2019, 04:24 PM
Nm

cheesner
03-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Not sure that perspective helps me. Perry was nearly as productive despite oft injured than Ford despite Ford being mostly healthy. It just looks to me like Ford saw the dollar signs and really put it together this year. If we sign him he will no longer be motivated for money. I know some KC fans are very leary about giving him big bucks as he would dissappear for stretches in prior seasons. I'm not risking it.

pbmax
03-10-2019, 11:55 PM
Haven’t looked at him in depth, but his previous work looks worse than Perry’s.

Patler
03-11-2019, 06:35 AM
He did have 10 sacks in 2016, and was injured most of 2017, so I'm not sure he was really just a one year wonder in 2018.

What I don't understand is a team franchising a pass rusher, but making him available in trade for just a second round pick.

cheesner
03-11-2019, 07:39 AM
He did have 10 sacks in 2016, and was injured most of 2017, so I'm not sure he was really just a one year wonder in 2018.

What I don't understand is a team franchising a pass rusher, but making him available in trade for just a second round pick.

Is he a cap casualty or is he seen as a potential bust by the team and scouting staff who know him best? We now have his position coach on our staff, and we still seem interested. Tells me that we think we trust him. I'm not sure. It's a pretty big investment. I would rather sign Barr to less money and keep the 2nd round pick. I think Barr is more self motivated. Also Zdarius Smith from the Ravens. We have safer/cheaper options.

Joemailman
03-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Is he a cap casualty or is he seen as a potential bust by the team and scouting staff who know him best? We now have his position coach on our staff, and we still seem interested. Tells me that we think we trust him. I'm not sure. It's a pretty big investment. I would rather sign Barr to less money and keep the 2nd round pick. I think Barr is more self motivated. Also Zdarius Smith from the Ravens. We have safer/cheaper options.

I believe they're switching to a 4-3 defense, and feel he wouldn't be a great fit either at DE or LB.

red
03-11-2019, 08:22 AM

You don’t want dee ford because of his low sack number some years, but you want Barr?

Barr has 13.5 sacks for his career, his best year was his rookie year when he had 4

pbmax
03-11-2019, 09:41 AM
You don’t want dee ford because of his low sack number some years, but you want Barr?

Barr has 13.5 sacks for his career, his best year was his rookie year when he had 4

Yeah, but he was in a pretty traditional SAM role there. He played a lot of coverage and wasn't exclusively a pass rusher for them was he?

run pMc
03-11-2019, 10:44 AM
I do NOT understand the calls to sign Barr. Maybe he can be an 3-4 OLB, but he hasn't done it as a pro, and I don't get the impression Zimmer is broken up about losing him.
Beside -- I'm not sure Rodgers would want him in the locker room the collarbone incident. That dude keeps a grudge.

As for Ford, I'm thinking he will cost a lot. I thought if they dump Perry, they're eating something like $7M, and spending twice that for Ford (I assume he will want $15M) might be tough to fit.
I'm starting to wonder if they don't try to renegotiate Perry's contract and keep him while drafting a couple of youngsters. You trot out Perry and Fackrell (yikes) and then send out your youngsters and attack in waves.

Ford - 30.5 sacks in 67 Games
Perry - 32 sacks in 81 Games

Not sure Ford is twice as good.

red
03-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Yeah, but he was in a pretty traditional SAM role there. He played a lot of coverage and wasn't exclusively a pass rusher for them was he?

So we need a pass rusher, and he’s never done that

Do we know if he can do that?

pbmax
03-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Do we know if he can do that?

He's been effective when I have seen him do it. Not sure about full time.

cheesner
03-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Do we know if he can do that?Barr ranked first in total pressures for a LB (see people discussing, but not sure if that is an official stat). He is also one of the better coverage LBs, as well as run stopping. I think he will come cheaper and be more effective than Ford. Again, I dont expect Ford to be as motivated once he becomes very wealthy. Not certain, but his career track looks suspiciously like other FA busts.

Fritz
03-11-2019, 01:29 PM
I don't follow football closely enough any more to know much about Dee Ford. But with edge rushers being such a rare commodity, it's weird that KC would be so willing to trade him. I suppose, though, their got smoked for a bunch of points in their two biggest games (against LA and New England), so maybe they just want to tear the whole thing down.

But if the guy is better than Perry and Matthews and Fackrell, then giving up a second would really free up the Packers with those first two picks. But I hope they feel free anyway. Just get some talented players.

red
03-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Barr ranked first in total pressures for a LB (see people discussing, but not sure if that is an official stat). He is also one of the better coverage LBs, as well as run stopping. I think he will come cheaper and be more effective than Ford. Again, I dont expect Ford to be as motivated once he becomes very wealthy. Not certain, but his career track looks suspiciously like other FA busts.

i dont see how a guy with just 3 sacks can somehow led all LBs in QB pressures

Joemailman
03-11-2019, 04:24 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Qj8kqVY.jpg

Rutnstrut
03-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Perry is a china doll, dump his worthless ass.

pbmax
03-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Datone Jones wants you to return his call.

Fritz
03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
So is trading for Dee Ford out now?

pbmax
03-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Probably. It would seem most EDGE rushers are out of the draft picture too, at least in the first round.

TE here we come.

call_me_ishmael
03-12-2019, 12:38 PM
I really don't think they'll be looking away from Edge. You're picking at 12. You have a chance to pick a player that could be special for the next 8-10 years. What are the odds both Smiths are on the team in three years? I'd say 50% at best for most team, 70% since this is the Packers (though it's too early to tell with Gooter).

If you can get Ed Oliver and you think he's special, you do it. If you think Hoch is Gronk 2.0, you do it. If you think Burns is a special athlete that you won't have a chance to grab again for the next few years if things go as planned, you grab him. I sort of view the FA Edge guys as a stopgap to plug a major hole, not necessarily the long term future there. My gut feeling is the pick will be either be one of those three or maybe an OT if one falls.

pbmax
03-12-2019, 12:41 PM
I agree they shouldn't look away from EDGE, but I bet they do. Unless the next all world EDGE just falls to them.

gbgary
03-12-2019, 01:35 PM

i'd sure think so. no more money left.

Teamcheez1
03-12-2019, 03:57 PM
i'd sure think so. no more money left.

I think it's telling that neither Justin Houston or Dee Ford have been signed quickly.

red
03-12-2019, 05:51 PM
I think it's telling that neither Justin Houston or Dee Ford have been signed quickly.

Well, dee Ford needs to be traded for

And free agency doesn’t actually begin until tomorrow

jklowan
03-12-2019, 08:17 PM
9ers just traded for Ford, 2020 2nd rounder

red
03-12-2019, 11:45 PM
5 years, 87.5 million

whew