PDA

View Full Version : Cleft Crusty: Post Bears Game Mock Chat

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Packer Fans! Clefty will answer your many questions after the Bears 26-0 (that's not a typo) victory over the hapless Packers.

CyclonePackFan
09-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Clefty, why do we suck?

Partial
09-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Why are players such as Samkon Gado and Noah Herron on our active roster?

Partial
09-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Why has TT failed to provide an even adequate offensive line. We have the worst starting line in the league.

MasonCrosby
09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Why is Woodson inept downfield?

Fosco33
CC -

Is it time to put Woodson on ST and nickle and bring back Carrol to start? :crazy:

Can we really play 10-11 with our weak interior line (and keeping Bubba back nearly every passing play)? :crazy:

Why the heck did M3 keep Brett in an unwinable position when ARod needs reps? :crazy:

Any chance you can rewind the last 4 hours and start this thing over for me :lol:

mraynrand
Clefty, why do we suck?

A lot of rookies, including the coach. And remember that the GM is only in his second year. He's been adamant about building through the draft, so you can't grant first and second year players experience - it has to be earned. The lack of experience will kill the Packers perhaps for two or three years at least. It may be too much for them to overcome.

Partial
09-10-2006, 06:15 PM
What is TTs rational behind going with 28 first or second year players, with the vast majority of the rest being 3rd or 4th year players? How does he plan to counter this problem if they become so bad that all the player lose confidence?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Why are players such as Samkon Gado and Noah Herron on our active roster?

Thompson can't replace the entire roster in a single year, though I'm convinced he would have, if it had been possible.

retailguy
09-10-2006, 06:16 PM
if someone shot TT on the way home tomorrow, would they be charged or given the keys to the city?

Partial
09-10-2006, 06:17 PM
How do you feel about coach McCarthy and his Mike Sherman sideline impersonation?

retailguy
09-10-2006, 06:17 PM
How do you feel about coach McCarthy and his Mike Sherman sideline impersonation?

He's NO Mike Sherman. He can only hope to be Mike sherman

MasonCrosby
09-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Should TT draft Brady Quinn so he and AJ Hawk can have family squabbles during the game?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Why has TT failed to provide an even adequate offensive line. We have the worst starting line in the league.

Again, TT is going with youth and frankly, Clifton was awful. He may be finished. Guys who have been beat up like Clifton can lose it overnight. remember How quickly Reuttgers droped off. And standing behind Clifton is Colledge. You could have three rookies starting any time now. You're not going to win any games that way.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Why is Woodson inept downfield?

I didn't think Woodson was all that bad. He had poor coverage on one pass play and on several others, Grossman and Muhammed just made terriffic plays. That Chicago team really looks like a well coached, aggressive, disciplined bunch.

Fosco33
09-10-2006, 06:20 PM
if someone shot TT on the way home tomorrow, would they be charged or given the keys to the city?

I'll take this one CC.

Why not just put him in the center of Madison :lol:

Seriously, I don't blame TT yet. He took a shot on Woodson but his draft has obvious potential. We're young - give them time. It's only 0-1 - half the teams in the league are in our same position.

Partial
09-10-2006, 06:21 PM
How do you feel about Brady Poppinga and his performance? What can we expect to see from him in the future?

Partial
09-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Nick Barnett looked lost out there a lot today. We didn't see much of Abdul Hodge today. Can you give us a narrative about what you make of this situation?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:24 PM
CC -

Is it time to put Woodson on ST and nickle and bring back Carrol to start?

Again, the Packers didn't lose this game entirely on defense. Carrol might play a little better, but will he play offense and get the Packers across midfield. I doubt it

Why the heck did M3 keep Brett in an unwinable position when ARod needs reps? :

Shouldn't A-rod earn the right to get on the field. Favre made some terriffic throws into triple coverage today, because that's all there was and there was zero time to throw. What evidence do you have that A-rod could do any better? Why should Favre have to sit for an inferior player?

Any chance you can rewind the last 4 hours and start this thing over for me :lol:

Why would you want to watch this game all over again. I would think that once would be more than enough. And remember, you have another chance to be humiliated in December. Perhaps you'll have leaves to rake and snow to shovel by then

red
09-10-2006, 06:24 PM

i'd be willing to give the shooter any spare change i have on me

if this team doesn't show a vast improvement from now to the end of the year, then TT needs to go.

he fixed our cap problem, great. now we need to find someone that knows how to use it and build a real team

GBRulz
09-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Should I give it a shot? um, no pun intended :lol:

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:26 PM
How do you feel about Brady Poppinga and his performance? What can we expect to see from him in the future?

The Bears did a masterful job of game planning, exposing all the Packer weaknesses. Plus their skill players made all the plays. Poppinga was a natural target to exploit: Inexperienced and terribly slow to react in coverage. The Bears might consider cutting him a check for his efforts in their favor today.

CyclonePackFan
09-10-2006, 06:26 PM
CC-

What position do the Packers bolster with their first pick in next year's draft?

MasonCrosby
09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Will the fact that the special teams was not really adressed in the offseason haunt us for the rest of the season or will the special teamers shape up?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Nick Barnett looked lost out there a lot today. We didn't see much of Abdul Hodge today. Can you give us a narrative about what you make of this situation?

Did Barnett look lost on the interception, or on the play where he forced an early throw by Grossman? Barnett didn't stand out, but he didn't play terribly. What makes you think Hodge could have made a difference, considering that he is slower than Poppinga. Chicago would have just gone after him and with very poor pass rush by the Packers, he would have been even more exposed than Poppinga. It would have been even more ugly, if that's possible.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Will the fact that the special teams was not really adressed in the offseason haunt us for the rest of the season or will the special teamers shape up?

Can you think of anyone on the squad who can help the ST 'shape up.' I can't. Certainly not a castoff from Northwestern. What was incredible is that the coaching staff thought Herron was more capable than Ferguson. Of course, after the fact they're re-thinking that choice.

Fosco33
09-10-2006, 06:32 PM
CC -

Again, the Packers didn't lose this game entirely on defense. Carrol might play a little better, but will he play offense and get the Packers across midfield. I doubt it

Shouldn't A-rod earn the right to get on the field. Favre made some terriffic throws into triple coverage today, because that's all there was and there was zero time to throw. What evidence do you have that A-rod could do any better? Why should Favre have to sit for an inferior player?

Why would you want to watch this game all over again. I would think that once would be more than enough. And remember, you have another chance to be humiliated in December. Perhaps you'll have leaves to rake and snow to shovel by then

I'd say that ARod should've played the last two series minimum - why risk the rest of the season on a game we weren't going to win.

My second question was more on the quantum level - i.e., let's play that one again and hope for a different result (yes, that's the definition of insanity).

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:33 PM
CC-

What position do the Packers bolster with their first pick in next year's draft?

Just about any position. This team is weak and pathetic across the board. There are probably about two or three guys on the squad who could start on Bears. The Bears at this point probably would even stick with Grossman over Favre. The Packers have nothing at any skill position.

VegasPackFan
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Looks like M3 has brought his hapless offensive strategy staright over from the 49'ers to the Packers. The 49'ers at least scored some points this week. We look like a very bland and unimaginative offense. Is this what we will see all season?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd say that ARod should've played the last two series minimum - why risk the rest of the season on a game we weren't going to win.

I'm not certain what you think is at risk. 3 wins versus 2? You may have a point in the reverse - leaving Favre in might get him injured and that would insure that the Packers would win no more games, securing the top pick in the draft. Taking him out might risk him being available to win a winnable game later in the season, although right now I can't think of a team this squad is capable of defeating.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Looks like M3 has brought his hapless offensive strategy staright over from the 49'ers to the Packers. The 49'ers at least scored some points this week. We look like a very bland and unimaginative offense. Is this what we will see all season?

Pretty much. I watched tape of the 49ers from last year. THey played multiple formations, but pretty much kept the ball in front of them and played it close to the vest and close to the line of scrimmage. I wonder how many people are happy yo see Sherman gone at this point. It's clear to see that Sherman got more out of less last year.

MasonCrosby
09-10-2006, 06:40 PM
is rayner a bust?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Should TT draft Brady Quinn so he and AJ Hawk can have family squabbles during the game?

The Packers will likely have their choice in next year's draft. They'll have to consider whether they think A-rod is the guy. If they think that Quinn is the guy to get them a championship, they should take him, regardless of what they think of A-rod. Franchise players only come along so often.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
is rayner a bust?

A bust is a player who has high expectations due to draft position or previous performance. That is why Conway and Sander were busts. Rayner is simply a poor punter on a lousy team. Why rip into the punter when there is a whole squad of drafted incompetents to critique?

MasonCrosby
09-10-2006, 06:46 PM
is rayner a bust?

A bust is a player who has high expectations due to draft position or previous performance. That is why Conway and Sander were busts. Rayner is simply a poor punter on a lousy team. Why rip into the punter when there is a whole squad of drafted incompetents to critique?

rayner is the kicker, ryan is the punter... rayner missed the big field goal

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Why did the refs not call the hold on the double team against Caroll on that runback for a td or the pass interference on Ferguson at the goal line. Get those two calls right and the final becomes 19-7. At worst. Not that it matters because they still sucked, but at least we'd have that scoring streak still.

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
One more. Could anything else have gone wrong out there today?

swede
09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Dear Cleft,

Men in Black was on at the same time as the game on another channel.
I can watch Men in Black over and over. I never seem to get tired of it. Watching that game just one more time would be third ring of Dante's hell.

My question is:

Did you know that the redneck that became a human suit for the bug was the same actor as the cerebral psychoanalystic cop from one of the law and order series?

GBRulz
09-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Who is Cleft Crusty?

swede
09-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Dear Cleft. After we played San Diego I said, "That team looks poised to go to the Super Bowl!"

After we played Cincinatti I said, "That team looks ready to go to the Super Bowl!"

After we played the Bears I am saying, "The Bears look like they are a Super Bowl team for sure!"

My question is:

Is every team we play going to look like a team ready to go to the Super Bowl this year?

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Who is Cleft Crusty?

WHERE is Cleft Crusty?

swede
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Who is Cleft Crusty?

Cleft Crusty is the cantankerous online doppelganger of JSO's Cliff Christl.

He will tell you like it is whether you like it or not and whether he's got a clue or not.

GrnBay007
09-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Crusty, what an odd name. Why not change your name for online appearances? Crusty is not very appealing.

My question: Do you think Mike Sherman was laughing his ass off today watching the game? :twisted:

swede
09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Crusty, what an odd name. Why not change your name for online appearances? Crusty is not very appealing.

My question: Do you think Mike Sherman was laughing his ass off today watching the game? :twisted:

If that ass hits the ground anywhere near the west coast it may cause a problem with the San Andreas fault.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
is rayner a bust?

rayner is the kicker, ryan is the punter... rayner missed the big field goal

Sorry, Clefty was having a little trouble with the pain meds when I took my notes on that. But still, was there a big kick missed by the Packers today? Last time I checked, FGs were worth 3 points, not 27.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:29 PM

My wife says the same thing. Mike Sherman would have to laugh a long time to laugh that rear end of his off. And I think he was too busy losing to Philadelphia to laugh about anything anyway.

VegasPackFan
09-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Clefty,

What does it say about our offense when we cant get 1 yard on 3rd and 1, and then we cant get a few inches on 4th and inches (on consecutive plays)?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Why did the refs not call the hold on the double team against Caroll on that runback for a td or the pass interference on Ferguson at the goal line. Get those two calls right and the final becomes 19-7. At worst. Not that it matters because they still sucked, but at least we'd have that scoring streak still.

Both those calls could have gone the other way. But ask yourself this - do you think anyone in a GB uniform really cared? They are in a similar situation as an addict - you have to hit bottom before you start crawling out of your hole. The one silver lining to todays game for Packer fans is that they may have hit bottom.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Clefty,

What does it say about our offense when we cant get 1 yard on 3rd and 1, and then we cant get a few inches on 4th and inches (on consecutive plays)?

I found both play calls curious. Your weakest part of your team is your offensive line, particularly in the middle, yet both plays went right up the gut. What happened to the flanker screen, that could have made use of your finest offensive players, Favre and Driver? A good reporter would ask McCarthy that question. I'll keep silent.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Dear Cleft. After we played San Diego I said, "That team looks poised to go to the Super Bowl!"

After we played Cincinatti I said, "That team looks ready to go to the Super Bowl!"

After we played the Bears I am saying, "The Bears look like they are a Super Bowl team for sure!"

My question is:

Is every team we play going to look like a team ready to go to the Super Bowl this year?

This is a good series of questions. When you're one of the lousiest teams in the NFL, you will have the tendency to make even marginal teams look like world beaters. There are a bunch of teams that will look forward to playing the Packers this year.

BallHawk
09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Is Noah Herron related to the snail family?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
One more. Could anything else have gone wrong out there today?

Of course. As bad as it was for Green Bay, they could have suffered a lot of injuries. As far as I could tell, the only thing injured (assuming they had any), was their pride. Chicago played as though they were playing against their practice squad.

VegasPackFan
09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Cleft,

WHY?!?!?!?

WHY!?!?!?

WHY OH WHY!?!?!?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Is Noah Herron related to the snail family?

Herron made mistakes, but really could anyone have been slower than Samkon Gado? He looked like he was running in quicksand. One wonders what the thought process was regarding tossing Gado and Herron in to field kicks.

BallHawk
09-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Do you think we should give Fergie a shot at starting next week?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Cleft,

WHY?!?!?!?

WHY!?!?!?

WHY OH WHY!?!?!?

I think I answered this question. TT, in his efforts to turn over the roster, cleared it of significant experience - experience that takes 2-3 years to aquire. The problem with that approach is that you can clear out the ability of a team to win for several years, which can leave you with a roster that doesn't know how to win. Sometimes losing begets losing. TT may have turned the roster over too quickly.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Do you think we should give Fergie a shot at starting next week?

Starting what? If you mean to handle kickoffs, certainly. Carroll and Ferguson should handle that. As far as starting WR, I don't see what difference it would make. When Favre has less than 1 second to go through his progression, one receiver is all he can look for. Perhaps they might want to go with one wideout, and extra lineman and three tight ends. They might want to don the old unis with handles on the legs and grab a hold and plow forward into the defense. That might get them across midfield without resorting to a fake punt.

FavreChild
09-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Dear Cleft Crusty,

Does M3 get down on his knees and thank Vince that Dan Devine (barely) had a worse debut as Packer coach than he?

When will the finger-pointing between M3 and TT commence?

Why are there so many fans awho not only believe that WE (not solely Dave Rayner) were capable of a 53-yard FG, but are delusional enough to think that had any bearing on this game?

Feel free to answer in any order of your choosing,

FC

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Dear Cleft Crusty,

Does M3 get down on his knees and thank Vince that Dan Devine (barely) had a worse debut as Packer coach than he?

When will the finger-pointing between M3 and TT commence?

Why are there so many fans awho not only believe that WE (not solely Dave Rayner) were capable of a 53-yard FG, but are delusional enough to think that had any bearing on this game?

Feel free to answer in any order of your choosing,

FC
I think that McCarthy and TT have the long view on success for this team - two to three years down the road. They'll be upset, but won't point fingers - at least not at each other.

I recall thinking during that FG attempt that it might be the only chance for GB to score. I also wrote in my notes that they may have had a better chance with a "Hail Mary" pass.

VegasPackFan
09-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Cleft,

Will you ever publish a collection of "your notes"?

BEARMAN
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Why ask Why ? Some things just are. Just sufer the indigenty of a 26 to 0 loss. Shake it off and get ready for next week. Sheesh, it's just one loss, even if it was 26 to 0. :mrgreen:

GO BEARS !

Partial
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Cleft,

WHY?!?!?!?

WHY!?!?!?

WHY OH WHY!?!?!?

I think I answered this question. TT, in his efforts to turn over the roster, cleared it of significant experience - experience that takes 2-3 years to aquire. The problem with that approach is that you can clear out the ability of a team to win for several years, which can leave you with a roster that doesn't know how to win. Sometimes losing begets losing. TT may have turned the roster over too quickly.

Yes!!! someone else gets it!!! DING DING DING YOU WIN CRUSTY

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 08:36 PM
But if he hadn't turned it over this quickly you all would have been calling for his head for not doing anything to fix the roster. That man truly cannot win with you (unless, of course, he starts to win).

Partial
09-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Crusty, First time chatter here. It's such an honor for you to take my question. I've heard a rumor that the Packers are in negoiation with a superstar who was recently cut by the vikings. Any truth to these rumors?

Justin Time, NY, NY

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 08:45 PM
Cleft,

Will you ever publish a collection of "your notes"?

I'm working on a book deal. We're talking 2-3 hundred bucks, easy. Never mind they're illegible and unintelligible. I just checked "Mudbaths and Bloodbaths" and it's ranked #1,288,404 in Amazon Books. That's success.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Crusty, First time chatter here. It's such an honor for you to take my question. I've heard a rumor that the Packers are in negoiation with a superstar who was recently cut by the vikings. Any truth to these rumors?

Justin Time, NY, NY

I'm assuming you mean Koren Robinson, right? I think if he can make bail, the Packers might sign him. Still, how are they going to get the ball to him with 1-2 seconds of pass protection?

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I had a crack about it but I just can't do it.

VegasPackFan
09-10-2006, 09:35 PM

Justin Time, NY, NY

I'm assuming you mean Koren Robinson, right? I think if he can make bail, the Packers might sign him. Still, how are they going to get the ball to him with 1-2 seconds of pass protection?

Throw the ball up as high as possible and then tell him it's a bottle of vodka?

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 09:38 PM

Yes!!! someone else gets it!!! DING DING DING YOU WIN CRUSTY

Partial,

I'm not here to agree with you. In fact I hate my job when people agree with me, except when I'm writing about Matt Millen.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM

Justin Time, NY, NY

Throw the ball up as high as possible and then tell him it's a bottle of vodka?

That reminds me of my Batchelor Party. I tried to get my son in law drunk before his wedding but the big wuss said he wanted to be alert for the wedding. Plus he doesn't eat spicey food. What's wrong with today's kids?

Fosco33
10-03-2006, 12:42 AM
CC -

For Crusty to prove a point.

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Fosco,

You raised an interesting question, so I'll try to give you an honest answer. Favre was in the games against Chicago and Philadelphia late, after the game had pretty much been decided. Your point about the Chicago game was that A-rod should come in because he needed the reps, and I countered that he hadn't earned it. I also made the point last night that it may have been more important to McCarthy to place gaining offensive team experience and cohesiveness against Chicago above protecting Favre. My point about getting him out of the Philly game was that Philly was blitzing and you could needlessly get him hurt. I think several of the points are valid. A-rod shouldn't replace Favre under normal circumstances unless he's better. McCarthy should protect Favre from injury late in a game that's over. McCarthy should do what it takes to make the team better. Given that Favre was knocked out of the game last night, it appears that McCarthy was going to play him until the end. In both games - Chicago and Philly, that may have been the risky thing to do. So I have to concede that point. But I will also stick to my point that A-rod shouldn't get in the game just because he 'needs reps.' What he needs to do to get in the game is play better than Favre. He has yet to show he can do that.