PDA

View Full Version : KEEPING GRAHAM OVER PERRY WOULD B A MISTAKE

Bretsky
03-10-2019, 04:12 PM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/08/green-bay-packers-packers-should-keep-nick-perry-over-jimmy-graham-opinion/3085637002/

RashanGary
03-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Ugh, seems like a horrible idea. I think graham has one more good year in him.

Joemailman
03-10-2019, 04:49 PM
I'd keep Graham over Perry. There's a better chance of getting immediate help in FA and Draft at EDGE than at TE.

red
03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Can we keep neither?

Bretsky
03-10-2019, 06:29 PM
I'd keep Graham over Perry. There's a better chance of getting immediate help in FA and Draft at EDGE than at TE.

Did Graham ever look close to a 10mIL/Year guy ?

Would you take Cook, who is a UFA, over Graham ?

If they actually play 16 games, who has more value to GB ?

I was fine with the Graham signing when it occurred; but he didn't ever look special to me

Joemailman
03-10-2019, 06:49 PM
Did Graham ever look close to a 10mIL/Year guy ?

Would you take Cook, who is a UFA, over Graham ?

If they actually play 16 games, who has more value to GB ?

I was fine with the Graham signing when it occurred; but he didn't ever look special to me

I don't think either one is worth their current salary. I think Cook is better than Graham. However, even if you cut Graham, he's going to cost 7.3 million against the cap. So, that plus whatever it costs to sign Cook would be an awfully lot of money tied up in a starting TE.

Graham, even with a bad knee, is still a Top-10 TE. Not sure I would rank Perry that high. And I think Graham's chances of playing 16 games are better than Perry's. Graham has played 16 games 5 out of the last 6 years. Perry has never played in 16 games.

Bretsky
03-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Graham really disappointed me last year. Even with a bad knee, he consistently did NOT come down with the fifty fifty balls he used to be good at. Hopefully that changes

Bretsky
03-10-2019, 07:34 PM
I don't think either one is worth their current salary. I think Cook is better than Graham. However, even if you cut Graham, he's going to cost 7.3 million against the cap. So, that plus whatever it costs to sign Cook would be an awfully lot of money tied up in a starting TE.

Graham, even with a bad knee, is still a Top-10 TE. Not sure I would rank Perry that high. And I think Graham's chances of playing 16 games are better than Perry's. Graham has played 16 games 5 out of the last 6 years. Perry has never played in 16 games.

I didn't realize the cap hit was 7.3

That is a horrible contract; they have to keep him

red
03-10-2019, 08:53 PM

Graham, even with a bad knee, is still a Top-10 TE. .

no, and that was the big problem, with a "bad knee, he was nowhere near close to a top 10 TE

he was 9th in both catches and yards

46th in average per catch
16th in yards per game
tied for 31st in TDs (he was suppose to be the answer to our red zone woes)

so i guess top 10 in a couple categories, barely, but thats it

what he is #1 at is money. he makes more per year then any TE in the league

red
03-10-2019, 08:55 PM
I didn't realize the cap hit was 7.3

That is a horrible contract; they have to keep him

but his cap number is 12.7million. so even with a cap hit of 7.3 million, they still would save almost 5.4 million IF they cut him

Deputy Nutz
03-11-2019, 08:20 AM
I would like to cut both of them. I don't know why I would choose to keep Graham over Perry, but I just would, damn it.

pbmax
03-11-2019, 09:39 AM
He is a cap hit either way. Take the savings.

I don't buy for a minute he works in this offense or will be healthier.

The only reason to keep him is to have one less hole to fill. But I am not sure that makes any sense. The one factor arguing in favor of keeping him is that the FA TE class is dreck. You'd have all rookies.

Joemailman
03-11-2019, 09:44 AM
He is a cap hit either way. Take the savings.

I don't buy for a minute he works in this offense or will be healthier.

The only reason to keep him is to have one less hole to fill. But I am not sure that makes any sense. The one factor arguing in favor of keeping him is that the FA TE class is dreck. You'd have all rookies.

That and the fact that rookie TE's are rarely ready to make big contributions. It's a bad situation, but I think overpaying Graham this year might be better than not having him.

call_me_ishmael
03-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Would much rather take my shot with a 22 year old undrafted free agent for a fraction of the money and equivalent productivity. The name of the game here is clearing the books for next year.

pbmax
03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Would much rather take my shot with a 22 year old undrafted free agent for a fraction of the money and equivalent productivity. The name of the game here is clearing the books for next year.

Name the last three TEs who matched Graham's productivity last year. Any of them not in first round?

call_me_ishmael
03-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Name the last three TEs who matched Graham's productivity last year. Any of them not in first round?

If a player isn't a difference maker anymore and there's no "home town" reasons to keep 'em around, what's the point in paying somebody that sort of money. Productivity is a matter of opportunity. It's like basketball - SOMEBODY is going to score. Even an average/bad player will put up 20 if there isn't a star filling up the bucket. Graham is hosed up in my opinion. Video evidence shows poor effort. I think you'd get nearly equivalent outcome for a fraction of the money from undrafted player.

red
03-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Jared cook is a free agent, costs half of what graham does

And had a better year

Why did we get rid of him?

Fritz
03-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Ugh, seems like a horrible idea. I think graham has one more good year in him.

I feel exactly the opposite. When you look at the free agent edge rushers whose names are being tossed around, and you look at the price you'd pay, you realize cutting Perry to sign one of them would not mean much difference in production or health. So don't change just to change.

Graham is, to me, toast. Burnt out toast.

pbmax
03-11-2019, 12:05 PM

And had a better year

You sure about the cost? He's been pretty good in Oakland. He was better than Amari.

Joemailman
03-11-2019, 12:17 PM
I don't see Cook getting less than 8M. And with the lack of other good alternatives at TE, maybe more.

I think the best move is to keep Graham and hope he doesn't digress further, and draft his replacement. It's not a great situation no matter what they do. Signing a guy to a 30M contract who it turns out has a bad knee is going to cause problems. Welcome to the dark side of free agency.

Fritz
03-11-2019, 01:31 PM
I think one of TT's biggest gaffes was not re-signing Cook. His agent seemed to have played some hardball, but in retrospect (where it's always easier!) it would have paid to have just given Cook the contract he wanted.

pbmax
03-11-2019, 03:33 PM
We speculated that Graham was a gift to newly empowered McCarthy last year by the new GM who shared the same boss.

It seems like more than that now.

red
03-11-2019, 03:43 PM
I don't see Cook getting less than 8M. And with the lack of other good alternatives at TE, maybe more.

I think the best move is to keep Graham and hope he doesn't digress further, and draft his replacement. It's not a great situation no matter what they do. Signing a guy to a 30M contract who it turns out has a bad knee is going to cause problems. Welcome to the dark side of free agency.

Cook got 2 years 10.6 million from oakland

He was also coming off a decent stretch with GB after getting healthy when he signed for them, and he’s about to be 32

I doubt he signs for more then he got with the last one

Joemailman
03-11-2019, 04:36 PM
Cook got 2 years 10.6 million from oakland

He was also coming off a decent stretch with GB after getting healthy when he signed for them, and he’s about to be 32

I doubt he signs for more then he got with the last one

He was coming off a year with the Packers where he missed 6 games. He's played every game the last 2 years. I'll say he gets 2/15 with not much guaranteed.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2019, 05:08 PM

And had a better year

Thanks Ted.