PDA

View Full Version : Giants Trading Odell Beckham To Browns

Joemailman
03-12-2019, 07:14 PM
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

No word on compensation yet. Will Browns be favored to win AFCN?

pbmax
03-12-2019, 07:39 PM
Schefter
Here are the trade terms: Giants recieve a first-round pick in 2019 (No. 17 overall), the Browns' second third-round pick this year and S Jabril Peppers, source tells ESPN. Browns get Odell Beckham Jr.

Deputy Nutz
03-13-2019, 07:58 AM
Pretty hefty trade on the Browns part to secure OBJ. Peppers was a solid second year players that was a first round selection. Players in the NFL are like cars, once they are driven off the lot their draft value decreases by half.

run pMc
03-13-2019, 02:35 PM
On the surface, this is a steal by the Browns. Giants paid OBJ a $20M bonus last season; the remainder of that is dead money on their cap now. They gave up a Pro Bowl WR talent in his prime for a R1, R3, and a safety who has been so-so, and he'll be cheaper for the Browns than Jarvis Landry.
Assuming they don't have a sophomore slump with Mayfield or the new HC doesn't shit the bed, this team has some players now and should win more than 7 games.

pbmax
03-13-2019, 04:15 PM
On the surface, this is a steal by the Browns. Giants paid OBJ a $20M bonus last season; the remainder of that is dead money on their cap now. They gave up a Pro Bowl WR talent in his prime for a R1, R3, and a safety who has been so-so, and he'll be cheaper for the Browns than Jarvis Landry.
Assuming they don't have a sophomore slump with Mayfield or the new HC doesn't shit the bed, this team has some players now and should win more than 7 games.

It's a steal in talent, but the NFL is very weird about its draft picks. Nutz is right, they regard vet players less than those picks. You have to be a start of they highest order as a vet to merit a first round pick in a trade. Owners trade those for players and coaches than GMs do.

In terms of that standard, Giants got a boatload of assets compared to other wide receiver trades. But its a severe downgrade of the team today.

Cheesehead Craig
03-13-2019, 10:12 PM
This was stupid by the Giants. They didn't need to trade him. OBJ wasn't demanding it, like AB. so they wasted a bunch of real money and now have a huge dead cap space. They are not going to win more than 3 games again next year. What the hell is going on over there?

call_me_ishmael
03-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Apparently Odell is a giant diva. I wouldn't want to deal with that either.

MadScientist
03-13-2019, 10:37 PM
This was stupid by the Giants. They didn't need to trade him. OBJ wasn't demanding it, like AB. so they wasted a bunch of real money and now have a huge dead cap space. They are not going to win more than 3 games again next year. What the hell is going on over there?

Moneyball. They weren't going to compete this year with OBJ, and his value will probably never be higher. So trade him for good picks, stockpile young controlable talent and get in position to compete in 2021. Of course they have to hit on the picks and have a QB they can win with, but this may well be the quickest path to a real SB shot.

pbmax
03-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Apparently Odell is a giant diva. I wouldn't want to deal with that either.

You know who else were divas?

Sharpe.
Favre.
White.
Rice.
Deion.
Irvin.
Jennings.
Driver.
Harris.
Woodson.

You need 'em and you need to keep them happy. Sure, you might need to yell at them from time to time or ship one out, but you need to keep more than you throw away.

Getting rid of Beckham and keeping Manning is a gentleman's way of getting kudos for being worse.

Its not high society. its football. Winning and losing.

Though I expect in this particular case, the Maras wanted to make one more run with Eli and then it blew up when they went 1-6 to start the season. So now they are rebuilding after blowing the Barkley pick. Could have had a very good QB.

red
03-14-2019, 08:29 AM
When exactly were white, Jennings (until he left), driver, Harris and Woodson ever divas?

And I don’t remember rice trying to make everything about him either

pbmax
03-14-2019, 09:56 AM
When exactly were white, Jennings (until he left), driver, Harris and Woodson ever divas?

And I don’t remember rice trying to make everything about him either

White was a complete diva. The whole hamstring story of healing before the Cowboys game? The retirement? The un-retirement? Did you believe any of it? Did the team Doctor's that let him play? No, they just let it all pass and allowed Reggie to be Reggie and count on him during the game. No one told Reggie to tamp down the miracle chatter.

Jennings diva'd it up during that contract year when he was mad about the previous offer in the offseason, then mad about not getting the ball, then mad about getting hurt. It was just expressed by his sister in public.

Driver and Harris staged mini-holdouts (that almost this entire board refused to believe were actually hold outs) to get contracts redone and upfront/guaranteed money.

Woodson had to be talked into attending offseason by the head coach after signing for huge money. They swayed him by offering him a leadership position that he learned he enjoyed.

Its all about accommodating players and their fervent belief in their own importance. You could go the NE or San Antonio route and try to avoid that at all costs, but you still (Tom Brady) have to deal with it at some point. Success is the ultimate survivor bias.

Fritz
03-14-2019, 12:14 PM
White was a complete diva. The whole hamstring story of healing before the Cowboys game? The retirement? The un-retirement? Did you believe any of it? Did the team Doctor's that let him play? No, they just let it all pass and allowed Reggie to be Reggie and count on him during the game. No one told Reggie to tamp down the miracle chatter.

Jennings diva'd it up during that contract year when he was mad about the previous offer in the offseason, then mad about not getting the ball, then mad about getting hurt. It was just expressed by his sister in public.

Driver and Harris staged mini-holdouts (that almost this entire board refused to believe were actually hold outs) to get contracts redone and upfront/guaranteed money.

Woodson had to be talked into attending offseason by the head coach after signing for huge money. They swayed him by offering him a leadership position that he learned he enjoyed.

Its all about accommodating players and their fervent belief in their own importance. You could go the NE or San Antonio route and try to avoid that at all costs, but you still (Tom Brady) have to deal with it at some point. Success is the ultimate survivor bias.

Speaking of that...

I am feeling very underappreciated at this stage of my Packerrats career. I have to work harder than ever before to create the witty, pithy observations, the in-depth, insightful analysis, the thoughtful probing into personnel moves and coaching decisions. I even try to be careful about my spelling and grammar.

And what do I get? Few people even understand the level of artistry at which I am working. I've tried the eye-rolling, the disgusted looks, the shrugging, but you still don't seem to catch what I'm doing.

I might have to skip next year's offseason discussions so you will see how crucial I am to this organization.

wist43
03-14-2019, 12:45 PM
Speaking of that...

I am feeling very underappreciated at this stage of my Packerrats career. I have to work harder than ever before to create the witty, pithy observations, the in-depth, insightful analysis, the thoughtful probing into personnel moves and coaching decisions. I even try to be careful about my spelling and grammar.

And what do I get? Few people even understand the level of artistry at which I am working. I've tried the eye-rolling, the disgusted looks, the shrugging, but you still don't seem to catch what I'm doing.

I might have to skip next year's offseason discussions so you will see how crucial I am to this organization.

Genius is never recognized in real time... in the end, there will be books and songs written about you ;)

gbgary
03-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Speaking of that...

as a rat minion i sit in awe of your, and many other's, efforts herein. *i just used the word "herein".*

Bretsky
03-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Speaking of that...

Post some hot pictures and bretsky will be infinitely appreciative

sharpe1027
03-16-2019, 08:04 AM
Speaking of that...

I sense a franchise tag in your future.

ThunderDan
03-16-2019, 09:47 AM
I sense a franchise tag in your future.

Let him walk. He's not worth the average contract of the Top 5 players at his position.