PDA

View Full Version : Za'Darius Smith

Joemailman
03-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Didn't realize how big this guy is. Listed at 6-4, 272. Looks like a versatile guy who can play inside in passing situations, enabling Packers to get extra pass rusher in there. That fits perfectly into Mike Pettine's scheme, who likes to bring inside pressure.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/12/5-things-to-know-about-new-packers-olb-zadarius-smith/

– Smith figures to be a go-to interior rusher for Mike Pettine in obvious passing situations, and especially on third down. No player in football had more sacks and quarterbacks hits on third down than Smith last season, and he produced almost all the disruption from the interior. Expect Pettine to use Smith on the edge on early downs and inside on third down. Smith’s versatility should make the Packers immediately better in obvious pass-rushing situations.

wist43
03-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Both of these edge guys can play... very happy with all the signings on the defensive side.

I was trying to bang the drum for Amos, but all you guys wanted to talk about was Collins and Thomas. Amos is a good player.

Dont know much about Turner.

pbmax
03-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Best part of Amos is that he was reasonably priced.

Dr. Zaius is basically taking Nick Perry’s role from last year.

wist43
03-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Best part of Amos is that he was reasonably priced.

Dr. Zaius is basically taking Nick Perry’s role from last year.

Agreed, except that I think the best thing about Amos is that he is a good player.

I think our secondary will be much more effective and cohesive this year. Amos was a good signing.

RashanGary
03-13-2019, 12:04 AM
Agreed, except that I think the best thing about Amos is that he is a good player.

I think our secondary will be much more effective and cohesive this year. Amos was a good signing.

Last year, cuz my job, I only watched a couple nfl games. Shit though, if wist is feeling good about the signings, so am I!

Fritz
03-13-2019, 07:17 AM
I am hoping that Gute will re-sign Clay Matthews now. The fexibility of having the two new guys would alliw Pettine to use Matthews situationally

Deputy Nutz
03-13-2019, 07:22 AM
Clay Matthews cannot play anymore!

red
03-13-2019, 08:15 AM

period

mission
03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Smith and Smith had more pressures last year than all four Packers edge rushers combined. Z'Smith also tied for the league lead in third down pressures.

I really like these signings. If Pettine got 10.5 sacks out of Fackrell, these guys will produce. Plus, early reports are that they're solid against the run also.

theeaterofshades
03-13-2019, 11:22 AM
period

Are you saying he can't play because he is on his period?

run pMc
03-13-2019, 02:30 PM
Hard to see them bringing back Clay now.

I hope this guy pans out, but I'd still be ok with them drafting an Edge/pass-rusher type (or two); a DL to take over for Daniels wouldn't surprise me either.
It certainly gives them a lot of flexibility with their draft picks.

red
03-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Are you saying he can't play because he is on his period?

wouldnt shock me

Iron Mike
03-13-2019, 03:25 PM

He can't even do Jack Link Sasquatch commercials anymore. :(

Iron Mike
03-13-2019, 03:35 PM
I wonder how much input LaFleur had in this signing. I'd be willing to bet he distinctly remembered Z. Smith ripping his team a new asshole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtgGsUZ-UZQ

pbmax
03-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Dr. Zaius

or Dr. Zachariah Smith?

Can't decide.

Screw it, calling him the Doctor.

pbmax
03-13-2019, 04:43 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/12/packers-sign-edge-rusher-zadarius-smith-safety-adrian-amos/3138201002/

So JSO thinks the plum in this group is Preston Smith who was much more impressive than ZSmith in his early years before a down year last year in sacks cost him some money. More of a true edge.

ZSmith, former college DE, did most of his damage on the interior rather than the edge. But his better numbers last year got him the better deal. He also did it in his contract year.

And is Amos the box safety? The anonymous scout in the article thinks so, so another starter might be needed unless Tramon goes back there.

Joemailman
03-13-2019, 05:31 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/12/packers-sign-edge-rusher-zadarius-smith-safety-adrian-amos/3138201002/

So JSO thinks the plum in this group is Preston Smith who was much more impressive than ZSmith in his early years before a down year last year in sacks cost him some money. More of a true edge.

ZSmith, former college DE, did most of his damage on the interior rather than the edge. But his better numbers last year got him the better deal. He also did it in his contract year.

And is Amos the box safety? The anonymous scout in the article thinks so, so another starter might be needed unless Tramon goes back there.

I read that Amos played FS on 60% of his snaps last year.

pbmax
03-13-2019, 05:39 PM
I read that Amos played FS on 60% of his snaps last year.

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if the anonymous Scout was someone's dogcatcher.

Joemailman
03-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Well, it wouldn't surprise me if the anonymous Scout was someone's dogcatcher.

Zach Kruse

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/13/5-things-to-know-about-new-packers-s-adrian-amos/

Amos is versatile. Vic Fangio and the Bears lined him up at free safety roughly 60 percent of the time last season, which aligns nicely with his career percentages. He’s capable of both manning the deep half of the field and playing down near the box, where he’s an asset against the run and covering the intermediate parts of the field. He’s interchangeable at safety, and his recognition and awareness from both spots help him disrupt plays. Some of his best moments from the last four years came as a result of Amos immediately diagnosing a play in front of him and disrupting the ball at the catch point.

Iron Mike
03-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Dr. Zaius

or Dr. Zachariah Smith?

Can't decide.

Call them what you want, as long as they make Trubisky cough it up in week 1...

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tSteAT7P15Y/VGLCEa4WGsI/AAAAAAAADDA/5KzES4dz0D8/s1600/SB1.jpg

red
03-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Dr. Zaius

or Dr. Zachariah Smith?

Can't decide.

https://youtu.be/M2E1m90YSpA

pbmax
03-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Age of Za'Darius
Just landed in Appleton!#packernation#gopackgo#cheesehead

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1ll2jcWwAEwsgx.jpg

I did not coin that.

run pMc
03-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Heard the acmepackingCo call it the Dawning of the Age of Z'Darius.

I'm a little more skeptical. Seems like he gets a lot of pressure from rushing inside with his hand down, so I could see him playing a lot of passing downs. I think between him and Preston one of them should pan out.

Teamcheez1
03-14-2019, 09:46 AM
Barnwell at ESPN gave the Z SMith signing a D+ and the P Smith signing a C-

Fritz
03-14-2019, 09:49 AM
Dr. Zaius

or Dr. Zachariah Smith?

Can't decide.

Hmmm.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrXmxIsj755E-Uz6SkLzxVirLRO-JZhZx628PXD7nS-ygHtKk3

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Barnwell at ESPN gave the Z SMith signing a D+ and the P Smith signing a C-

That dude is a harsh grader. He rarely likes a signing.

Fritz
03-14-2019, 12:20 PM
Is Ted Thompson moonlighting?

Actually, Ted used the lower-end FA rack.

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2019, 01:28 PM
I don't think there is anyone else in Brown County with the first name Za'Darius

gbgary
03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
lol at this thread. "Age of Za'Darius" omg https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/smilielol5.gif
#thedawning

run pMc
03-14-2019, 04:31 PM
I don't think there is anyone else in Brown County with the first name Za'Darius

LOL pretty safe bet.

woodbuck27
03-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Last year, cuz my job, I only watched a couple nfl games. Shit though, if wist is feeling good about the signings, so am I!

I've been following 'all about the GB Packers' and suggested signings and it's like our Teams GM is on the same Social Media site and buying into it. I believe it 's Fansided.

Gutekunst is doing a good job and trying in FAcy and signing the former Chicago Bear ' Secondary Player '- Amos was solid.

I liked the Za'Darius Smith signing as well.

Our Teams GM is demonstrating he's both organized and serious about the now and trying to bring the Packers back into the conversation and legitimacy and Super Bowl contender.

woodbuck27
03-15-2019, 02:48 AM
Age of Za'Darius
Just landed in Appleton!#packernation#gopackgo#cheesehead

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1ll2jcWwAEwsgx.jpg

I did not coin that.

I want that Favre Jersey.

Seriously just look at those happy faces. Wonderful.

woodbuck27
03-15-2019, 02:50 AM
Bring in a legitimate TE ASAP.

I just saw that TE Mercedes Lewis is returning on a one year deal.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-15-2019, 02:54 AM
I've been following 'all about the GB Packers' and suggested signings and it's like our Teams GM is on the same Social Media site and buying into it. I believe it 's Fansided.

Gutekunst is doing a good job and trying in FAcy and signing the former Chicago Bear ' Secondary Player '- Amos was solid.

I liked the Za'Darius Smith signing as well.

Our Teams GM is demonstrating he's both organized and serious about the now and trying to bring the Packers back into the conversation and legitimacy and Super Bowl contender.

Well said. Welcome back, WB. :)

woodbuck27
03-15-2019, 03:00 AM
Well said. Welcome back, WB. :)
Hi :pack:

I'm never far away.

run pMc
03-15-2019, 06:59 AM
Seriously just look at those happy faces. Wonderful.

Totally agree. Seems excited to get to work. Gotta love that.

pbmax
03-15-2019, 08:47 AM
So does Smith being here and playing on the interior on passing downs mean Wilkerson isn't coming back?

Or is only coming back for a discount deal?

bobblehead
03-15-2019, 10:31 AM

Interior pass rusher trumps edge rusher. Much more rare of a commodity.

pbmax
03-15-2019, 10:46 AM

OK. But that is many third downs and then obvious passing situations. For him to be of peak value, he needs the lead. Which is OK if the team is good.

Though I do remember he is solid against the run, so perhaps this works out when he is at the Edge as well.

Deputy Nutz
03-15-2019, 11:03 AM

I don't think one trumps the other, Z. Smith provides flexibility that he can be a threat from the interior or the edge. When an offensive coach is counting defensive personnel, it will make it difficult because whether he is on the field or comes in on a sub package no one knows exactly where he is going to line up, and how it will change the defensive tendency

pbmax
03-15-2019, 11:05 AM
I don't think one trumps the other, Z. Smith provides flexibility that he can be a threat from the interior or the edge. When an offensive coach is counting defensive personnel, it will make it difficult because whether he is on the field or comes in on a sub package no one knows exactly where he is going to line up, and how it will change the defensive tendency

Maybe. Most of his coverage says in obvious passing situations he was inside. But Ravens had Suggs outside, so maybe that changes here.

Joemailman
03-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Maybe. Most of his coverage says in obvious passing situations he was inside. But Ravens had Suggs outside, so maybe that changes here.

I doubt it changes. Z. Smith moves inside to make room for Holy Fackrell.

wist43
03-15-2019, 07:15 PM
I doubt it changes. Z. Smith moves inside to make room for Holy Fackrell.

Fackrell needs to be a backup.

Bretsky
03-16-2019, 06:40 AM

What is greater? Your hatred for fackrell or your man love for devin Smith?

RashanGary
03-16-2019, 07:51 AM

I think it’s Devin White. And I think he hates fackrell more!

pbmax
03-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Fackrell makes some sense in Pettine's stunting scheme. He is big and ungainly enough to cause major disruption when crashing into offensive lineman.

You want someone to quickly get an edge or deke an OL to immediately penetrate into the backfield? Kyler is not your guy.

You want a guy to knock over 2 OL on a DE twist? Fackrell is your guy. He got one of his sacks that way, knocking about five people down on a stunt move that looked like nothing else I have seen.

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2019, 01:00 PM
Who the fuck is Devin White?

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Ok, after reading a USA Today article about Justin Bieber and his “struggles” (spoilers alert: ole Bie is depressed; it causes him to live in a promiscuous bubble; he takes dopes), i googled Devin White. 4.42 was all I needed to read.

Was starting to fall in love with White. Then I remembered that DK Metcalf ran a 4.33. Dude could be the next Randy Moss. Draft Metcalf at 12.

red
03-16-2019, 01:37 PM
Who the fuck is Devin White?

white might be the best overall player in the draft

Anti-Polar Bear
03-16-2019, 01:46 PM
white might be the best overall player in the draft

If that’s true, I’m guessing he won’t last til 12.

red
03-16-2019, 01:53 PM
If that’s true, I’m guessing he won’t last til 12.

he plays at a position that isn't a premium spot. he's not a QB or a pass rusher or a LT or a DT

he's an ILB

roquan smith did go #8 last year, so maybe teams value the position more then mock drafts do

Joemailman
03-16-2019, 07:44 PM
he plays at a position that isn't a premium spot. he's not a QB or a pass rusher or a LT or a DT

he's an ILB

roquan smith did go #8 last year, so maybe teams value the position more then mock drafts do

I thought Tampa Bay would take Smith last year. They have the #5 pick this year. A lot of people think White will be their pick, but that is really high to take an ILB.

wist43
03-16-2019, 08:23 PM

Yes ;)

Bretsky
03-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Truth be told, now that we have our Edge rushers if I"m the GM I'm sitting back and when we get to about pick 8 I'm trading up for Devin Smith. I would have been happy with some of the edge rushers just as much as him, and I like Oliver or Ferell as well at 12.

But Smith is NOT getting by Cindy at 11 IMO.

But after adding our two rushes and AMOS Smith is a no brainer here.

SORRY....but with Red and I both wanting him....probably means it won't happen :)))))

I know I'm late to the party but I didn't want to join the manlove festival so early

FWIW, remember I was the one pounding the table for Roquan last year. I'm not convinced Devin Smith is better, but I'll take nearly as good too :))))

red
03-17-2019, 10:24 AM
Truth be told, now that we have our Edge rushers if I"m the GM I'm sitting back and when we get to about pick 8 I'm trading up for Devin Smith. I would have been happy with some of the edge rushers just as much as him, and I like Oliver or Ferell as well at 12.

SORRY....but with Red and I both wanting him....probably means it won't happen :)))))

I know I'm late to the party but I didn't want to join the manlove festival so early

FWIW, remember I was the one pounding the table for Roquan last year. I'm not convinced Devin Smith is better, but I'll take nearly as good too :))))

i was thinking about a trade up yesterday too. we need an impact player, not just another starter jag

our 3rd round pick should move us up to #8

our #30 pick would move us up to #4

and our 2rd round pick would move us up to #6

4th rounder and down won't do shit

red
03-17-2019, 10:25 AM

devin white

we have enough smith

we both wanted roquan last year too

Fritz
03-17-2019, 10:29 AM
i was thinking about a trade up yesterday too. we need an impact player, not just another starter jag

our 3rd round pick should move us up to #8

our #30 pick would move us up to #4

and our 2rd round pick would move us up to #6

4th rounder and down won't do shit

If you really think your #30 would get you to the #4 spot (I don't), then wouldn't you do such a thing to grab Nick Bosa instead, if he's sitting there?

Personally, I hear Oliver is Aaron Donald 2.0. Why not him at #12 if White is gone?

red
03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
If you really think your #30 would get you to the #4 spot (I don't), then wouldn't you do such a thing to grab Nick Bosa instead, if he's sitting there?

Personally, I hear Oliver is Aaron Donald 2.0. Why not him at #12 if White is gone?

That’s what the trade chart shows, so it’s possible, but not set in stone

Bosa won’t slip past #2, I still think he goes #1. There’s no QB worth taking at #1, despite the hype

Haven’t watched enough of Oliver to know if he’s all hype or the real deal

Bretsky
03-17-2019, 10:50 AM
devin white

we have enough smith

CRAP

we're screwed

And I can't even remember a "HAPPY WIST".

What's going on in here ???

Bretsky
03-17-2019, 10:52 AM

I might give up both 1sts to get Bosa but I think he's long gone by 4......most likely 1 or 2

Plus he's from Ohio State. Scratch my thought...........F'ck Bosa !!!

I don't think I"d sacrifice by 2nd.

But I might pass the 3rd to get White

And I really like Oliver and would be fine with him at 12

RashanGary
03-17-2019, 03:04 PM

If Oliver drops to 12, I bet we take him. I’d keep Daniels too. Fuck it, just have the best interior DL in football. It will make everyone else better.

wist43
03-17-2019, 04:35 PM
If Oliver drops to 12, I bet we take him. I’d keep Daniels too. Fuck it, just have the best interior DL in football. It will make everyone else better.

I'd be okay with Oliver, but still hoping for White.

I want that guy on the 2nd level that you know can clean up a mess - and in a hurry.

White, Burns, Oliver on the yes list at 12.

Sweat, Gary, and Metcald on the no list at 12.

So far.

gbgary
03-17-2019, 08:45 PM
white would be a supreme pick.

call_me_ishmael
03-17-2019, 10:34 PM
I think Oliver could be the steal of the draft. He's awkwardly sized so that plays to our benefit where a good player could drop just like Aaron Donald did. He plays really hard apparently, and is freaky deaky quick and flexible.

RashanGary
03-17-2019, 11:16 PM
I think Oliver could be the steal of the draft. He's awkwardly sized so that plays to our benefit where a good player could drop just like Aaron Donald did. He plays really hard apparently, and is freaky deaky quick and flexible.

Extremely powerful too. Exceptional 36” vert on a 290lb man. That’s a measure of that explosion out of a stance. It translates to power often times. And dude is tenacious and crafty. I’m with him too. Him and Devin white are my two favs

SudsMcBucky
03-18-2019, 11:23 AM
devin white

we have enough smith

There were quite a few others, me included, pining for Roquan.

Fritz
03-18-2019, 01:11 PM

So if Fackrell is a backup does that make him a Fack-up?

Deputy Nutz
03-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Extremely powerful too. Exceptional 36” vert on a 290lb man. That’s a measure of that explosion out of a stance. It translates to power often times. And dude is tenacious and crafty. I’m with him too. Him and Devin white are my two favs

I think the height and weight measurements at the combine were as important to Oliver as they were to Kyle Murray. Most scouts thought that he was playing around 270 this past season

Patler
03-25-2019, 04:58 PM
So, did Ted Thompson try to get Z. Smith a couple years ago?

The Packers, who had tried to acquire him via trade over the last few seasons, finally got their man and feel the 26-year-old is ready to have his on-field production match the checks of the elite class of pass rushers he has joined.

Above is from this JSOnline article:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/25/zadarius-smith-theres-more-than-one-route-quarterback/3249244002/

which, I think strikes a very cautionary stance, suggesting that GB has overpaid, hoping he will become something he hasn't yet been.

Don't we usually agree that by the end of their fourth years, players are what they will be? Did GB give a premium value contract to a good, but not great player?

red
03-25-2019, 05:19 PM

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/03/25/zadarius-smith-theres-more-than-one-route-quarterback/3249244002/

which, I think strikes a very cautionary stance, suggesting that GB has overpaid, hoping he will become something he hasn't yet been.

Don't we usually agree that by the end of their fourth years, players are what they will be? Did GB give a premium value contract to a good, but not great player?

yeah, i've read that the packers had tried to trade for him in the past

pbmax
03-25-2019, 05:59 PM

I would agree that four years is enough time, but Smith was reportedly in a rotation for 3 of his four years (or 4 of 5) until breaking through last year. On the whole, I'd rather have the rotational Ravens guy than a rotational Packers guy just because of their production. However ...

The Packers paid the early signing premium, which is that based on your best performance year, you will be near the long term numbers of the signed vets.

For it to payoff, he has to consistently hit those numbers again. Which is why one scout thought the other Smith, at a smaller number, was more likely to be a value on the new deals. Because despite a down year in 2018, he was a more consistent rusher earlier in his career.

Barnwell laid it out pretty plainly that Dr Smith could go one of two ways, Paul Gruber (bad production on his new deal) or Pernell McPhee (good numbers on new deal).
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26152205/barnwell-2019-nfl-free-agency-trade-grades-tracking-every-big-signing-move