PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Basement Shopping

Fritz
03-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Okay, Rats, it's been an orgy of free agents for the Green Bay Packers this year. We've seen nothing quite like this in some time.

But now that Gutekunst has belched and used his napkin to wipe away the food dribbling down his chin, and is sitting back with a hefty stomach and a heavy sigh, it's time to wonder about dessert.

Does he have enough room left for just one or two more free agents? Something cheap, of course, but something that would really satiate him?

If so, in your opinion, who is that one more guy you'd like to see him sign?

Breeland? Wilkerson? Or someone else who's still out there? Is Suh still available, and do you want that in your lockerroom if he is?

There are still some players out there who might be useful. Who would you like to see Gutekunst sign before the draft?

red
03-16-2019, 10:06 AM
I think you can still get both Wilkerson and Breeland both under the cap, if the team wants them both

Fuck sue

pbmax
03-16-2019, 12:07 PM
SBNation: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/13/18262627/nfl-free-agents-2019-best-available-new-league-year

QB: Blake Bortles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colin Kaepernick, AJ McCarron
RB: Jay Ajayi, C.J. Anderson, Marshawn Lynch, Isaiah Crowell, T.J. Yeldon
WR: Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree, Jordy Nelson
TE: Jared Cook, Tyler Eifert, Austin Seferian-Jenkins
OL: Matt Kalil, Josh Kline, Jeremy Parnell, Ryan Schraeder

EDGE: Ezekiel Ansah, Adrian Clayborn, Justin Houston, Clay Matthews, Shane Ray
DT: Timmy Jernigan, Corey Liuget, Darius Philon, Ndamukong Suh, Muhammad Wilkerson
LB: Mark Barron, Jamie Collins, Gerald Hodges, Brandon Marshall
CB: Darqueze Dennard
S: Eric Berry, Tre Boston, Johnathan Cyprien, Glover Quin

The list of others receiving votes is almost more interesting: Montgomery, Zombo, Perry, Bruce Irvin

pbmax
03-16-2019, 12:08 PM
I think I'd like Wilkerson back, but they may have decided that Lowry and Northwestern dude will get it done.

HarveyWallbangers
03-16-2019, 01:13 PM
SBNation: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/13/18262627/nfl-free-agents-2019-best-available-new-league-year

DT: Timmy Jernigan, Corey Liuget, Darius Philon, Ndamukong Suh, Muhammad Wilkerson

The list of others receiving votes is almost more interesting: Montgomery, Zombo, Perry, Bruce Irvin

For the Packers these are the guys that are intuiting to me (not knowing what it would cost to get them):

QB RGIII
RB C.J. Anderson, Bilal Powell, Spencer Ware
WR None really
TE None really
OG Quinton Spain
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
ILB Clay Matthews, Kyle Emanuel (NDSU homer)
CB Baushad Breeland, Darqueze Dennard
S Tre Boston

red
03-16-2019, 01:28 PM
For the Packers these are the guys that are intuiting to me (not knowing what it would cost to get them):

QB RGIII
RB C.J. Anderson, Bilal Powell, Spencer Ware
WR None really
TE None really
OG Quinton Spain
DL Muhammad Wilkerson
ILB Clay Matthews, Kyle Emanuel (NDSU homer)
CB Baushad Breeland, Darqueze Dennard
S Tre Boston

It may just be because I am white, and all black people look the same to me, but

Tre Boston

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/512x512/BOS695248.png

al harris

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2010/11/08/dd606f13-a642-11e2-a3f0-029118418759/image7034823x.jpg

Fritz
03-16-2019, 03:58 PM
It's the pose and the hair. I look like a lot of skinny bald guys slouching on a couch.

Joemailman
03-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Right now Packers have 13.8 million in cap space, and need 10.2 million for draft picks. So don't expect much before the draft unless they cut somebody.

red
03-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Right now Packers have 13.8 million in cap space, and need 10.2 million for draft picks. So don't expect much before the draft unless they cut somebody.

NO THEY DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every fucking year

the rookies will eat up about 4 million or so of the cap, maybe 5 at the very high end

take your 10.2 number, 10 picks. those 10 picks don't just get added to what we have now. they replace 10 other guys. those 10 guys make between 570,000 and 600000. so lets say 580,000 on average.

times 10

5.8 million worth of cap is just replaced. at least. meaning the rookies will take up 4.4 million of that 13.8 million, leaving us with still 9.4 million to spend

Joemailman
03-16-2019, 10:27 PM
NO THEY DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

every fucking year

the rookies will eat up about 4 million or so of the cap, maybe 5 at the very high end

take your 10.2 number, 10 picks. those 10 picks don't just get added to what we have now. they replace 10 other guys. those 10 guys make between 570,000 and 600000. so lets say 580,000 on average.

times 10

5.8 million worth of cap is just replaced. at least. meaning the rookies will take up 4.4 million of that 13.8 million, leaving us with still 9.4 million to spend

You're right that eventually draft picks replace veterans. But I thought on draft day you have to have enough cap room to sign your draft picks based on the projected draft pool cap. (Maybe I'm wrong about that.) Also, keep in mind that with 3 picks in the top 44, it will cost more to sign their picks than it usually does.

wist43
03-16-2019, 11:58 PM
You're right that eventually draft picks replace veterans. But I thought on draft day you have to have enough cap room to sign your draft picks based on the projected draft pool cap. (Maybe I'm wrong about that.) Also, keep in mind that with 3 picks in the top 44, it will cost more to sign their picks than it usually does.

You only count the top 51 contracts... that's why the higher rookie contracts will outright replace the corresponding number of existing contracts; so, the cap hit is the rookies number minus the contract that got bumped.

red
03-17-2019, 02:29 AM

Yeah, I did the math with the higher picks

Patler
03-17-2019, 02:50 AM
You only count the top 51 contracts... that's why the higher rookie contracts will outright replace the corresponding number of existing contracts; so, the cap hit is the rookies number minus the contract that got bumped.

Sure, for the few months of the summer, but who really cares about that? The important calculation is at the start of the season, when all 53 active contracts count, plus the contracts of players on I.R., plus remaining cap hits from additional players released between now and then, plus the contracts of players signed to the practice squad. Subtracting the league-assigned rookie pool from the available cap space right now is not a bad approximation of where they will be when the season starts.

Packers4Glory
03-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Bring back Clay inside. Him & the Washington Smith can switch up on 3rd downs.

Breeland. Bring him back & now lets focus the draft on weapons & protection for Rodgers

Fritz
03-17-2019, 08:30 AM
I think at this point I'd rather have Breeland than Matthews. And I wonder if a sticking point is that the Packers might see Breeland's future at safety, which makes you less money than a corner position. So Breeland might want assurances he'll be a corner if they sign him to another one-year deal.

I'm guessing, of course.

Rumor has it that Matthews will end up back in California.

And what does it say about the Packers' talent, or lack thereof, that two of their highest profile players of the past five years - Cobb and Matthews - are out on the street, and nobody seems to want them? Or at least doesn't want them for much more than the vet minimum.

Ouch. Maybe this team's talent level was way worse than people thought. Myself included.

pbmax
03-17-2019, 08:38 AM
I think at this point I'd rather have Breeland than Matthews. And I wonder if a sticking point is that the Packers might see Breeland's future at safety, which makes you less money than a corner position. So Breeland might want assurances he'll be a corner if they sign him to another one-year deal.

I'm guessing, of course.

And what does it say about the Packers' talent, or lack thereof, that two of their highest profile players of the past five years - Cobb and Matthews - are out on the street, and nobody seems to want them? Or at least doesn't want them for much more than the vet minimum.

Ouch. Maybe this team's talent level was way worse than people thought. Myself included.

Or they are still asking for a lof of dough. Cobb is arguing that he will be healthy. Matthews is arguing he is still an OLB who can rush the passer.

I too would prefer Breeland, and I don't want him at safety. Guy can make plays at corner.

red
03-17-2019, 08:39 AM

I'm guessing, of course.

It means I was right the last few years by saying those guys were worthless

And I’m never gonna let you fuckers forget it

No one wants nick perry either right now btw

Joemailman
03-17-2019, 08:53 AM
Okay, I did a little research. If the Packers rookie draft cap is 10.2 million it appears the they do not have to be 10.2 million under the cap on draft day. However, signing draft picks cannot put them over the salary cap (with top 51). So, if they do more spending in FA before the draft, it's possible they would have to cut someone before they can SIGN all their draft picks.

red
03-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Okay, I did a little research. If the Packers rookie draft cap is 10.2 million it appears the they do not have to be 10.2 million under the cap on draft day. However, signing draft picks cannot put them over the salary cap (with top 51). So, if they do more spending in FA before the draft, it's possible they would have to cut someone before they can SIGN all their draft picks.

I’m not sure about that, because you’re still only counting the top 53 hits, not everybody

So let’s say you sign your 4th round with a cap hit of 870,000 this season, he takes his spot in the top 53, and bumps out a guy that was counting 570,000 against the cap

So you end up with an extra cap hit of 300,000 not 870,000

So you do need to keep 4-5 million open for the picks

Zool
03-17-2019, 09:48 AM
Do they even have 53 guys under contract right now? After all the cuts and not signing any of their own FA’s?

Joemailman
03-17-2019, 09:51 AM
I’m not sure about that, because you’re still only counting the top 53 hits, not everybody

So let’s say you sign your 4th round with a cap hit of 870,000 this season, he takes his spot in the top 53, and bumps out a guy that was counting 570,000 against the cap

I think we agree here. Whether they would need to cut somebody would depend on how much they spend in free agency. If they plan to sign guys like Breeland and Wilkerson, they could be getting close to where they would have to cut somebody.

red
03-17-2019, 09:53 AM
I think we agree here. Whether they would need to cut somebody would depend on how much they spend in free agency. If they plan to sign guys like Breeland and Wilkerson, they could be getting close to where they would have to cut somebody.

agreed there

Bretsky
03-17-2019, 10:06 AM
I propose to use the extra cap money for a Bargain Basement deal to keep Fritz under contract here for life

Joemailman
03-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Do they even have 53 guys under contract right now? After all the cuts and not signing any of their own FA’s?

60+. All the guys who finished the year on IR plus practice squad guys they kept are on the roster.

Bretsky
03-17-2019, 10:16 AM
How about a young special teams Ace who plays some safety ? Any cost effective guys out here.

Where is Jarred Bush ???????//// lolol

Fritz
03-17-2019, 10:30 AM
I propose to use the extra cap money for a Bargain Basement deal to keep Fritz under contract here for life

Now there's a tepid endorsement.

I feel like Clay Matthews. Though I look like Eddie Matthews.

pbmax
03-17-2019, 11:54 AM

That is true but also doesn't account for other expenditures as Patler suggested. Not to mention whatever Gute is going to leave in the bank in case of emergency.

So the question really is, what other hits are coming to the cap? Allison just signed a deal that is richer than his tender, so his number is going up.

pbmax
03-17-2019, 11:54 AM
How about a young special teams Ace who plays some safety ? Any cost effective guys out here.

Janis is available.

pbmax
03-17-2019, 11:56 AM
60+. All the guys who finished the year on IR plus practice squad guys they kept are on the roster.

Sixty nine. And somewhere Gronk says nice!

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

bobblehead
03-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Assuming bargain prices I would take:

Bortles, Yeldon or Monty (back), Cook or Eifert, Quinten Spain (G Tenn), Breeland, Boston

Any of those guys help this roster. Monty should be a fit and used right with M4 (unless he has actually burned the GB bridge and it wasn't M3 that wanted him gone).

bobblehead
03-17-2019, 12:09 PM
It means I was right the last few years by saying those guys were worthless

And I’m never gonna let you fuckers forget it

No one wants nick perry either right now btw

Trade Graham to the saints for a 5th. That frees up cap and removes one more worthless piece from the roster.

PS-- I said Clay was WAYYY over rated in 2010 so I beat you to it by a lot.

Joemailman
03-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Chris Banjo has signed an extension with the Saints. By the way, did we know his actual name is Ayokunmi Christopher Oluwaseun Banjo?

QBME
03-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Now there's a tepid endorsement.

I feel like Clay Matthews. Though I look like Eddie Matthews.

Holy mackerel Fritz, you look like you've been dead for 18 years? No wonder Drew hasn't been returning your calls.

run pMc
03-18-2019, 07:48 AM
I think it will be pretty quiet until after the draft when they see what they have left to shore up depth-wise. If they can get some of these guys cheap and they fit the system I'm sure they'll try.
I'm thinking they will draft a DL somewhere in R1-3 to replace Wilkerson. It's supposed to be a very good year for DL and Daniels' contract is up soon (and he's almost 30) so I could see another draft pick being the option there. Wilkerson was so-so when he played and Brice might have ended his career.

Fritz
03-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Holy mackerel Fritz, you look like you've been dead for 18 years? No wonder Drew hasn't been returning your calls.

Are you kidding? It's one of the things she likes best about me. I don't say much and I'm (a) stiff.