PDA

View Full Version : Cole Madison Update?

theeaterofshades
03-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Any word on if he plans to try playing this year?

Gotarace
03-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Saw this article in February...Don't look like we will be seeing him anytime soon. https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Cole-Madison-Tyler-Hilinski-death--128975995/

MadScientist
03-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Any word on if he plans to try playing this year?

There's no evidence that he will ever play football again.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/02/packers-cole-madison-may-not-return-to-nfl

red
03-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Look at over the cap yesterday, I saw that he was listed as “suspended”

Not sure if he’s actually suspended, or just didn’t have a better name to call whatever he is

And he is still counting some against the cap, which means we have him a bonus that he had no problem taking before he decided he didn’t want to play

Teamcheez1
03-19-2019, 02:55 PM

Not sure if he’s actually suspended, or just didn’t have a better name to call whatever he is

And he is still counting some against the cap, which means we have him a bonus that he had no problem taking before he decided he didn’t want to play

You piqued my curiosity about his signing bonus. He received a $324,332 signing bonus as part of his 4 year $2.78M contract.
I'm not sure if he receives all or just part of this if he doesn't play.
He's not the only person in the world who has dealt with difficult circumstances and tragedy in their lives.

Fine if you don't want to play football, but my patience has run out. Be a man and be accountable.

Fritz
03-19-2019, 03:02 PM
You piqued my curiosity about his signing bonus. He received a $324,332 signing bonus as part of his 4 year $2.78M contract.
He's not the only person in the world who has dealt with difficult circumstances and tragedy in their lives.

Fine if you don't want to play football, but my patience has run out. Be a man and be accountable.

What exactly has he not been accountable for?

Teamcheez1
03-19-2019, 03:04 PM
What exactly has he not been accountable for?

He signed a contract to play football. If you're not going to honor that commitment, let me know.
I'm sure the Packers have privately moved on even if they don't publicly say so.

Zool
03-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Fuck your humanity. Football is all.

MadScientist
03-19-2019, 04:54 PM

Probably the only options they have are suspended, retired (which he hasn't done officially), and non-football injury (not sure that covers psychological cases), and since he didn't show for camp, suspended makes the most sense.

They could demand repayment of the bonus, but they might be holding out hope that he will play again and are retaining his rights.

red
03-19-2019, 04:59 PM

Sure makes it easy to sit around and mope all day when you got 325k in your pocket and you don’t ever have to work

pbmax
03-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Why do you assume he hasnt been?

Packers are just holding onto his rights and hoping for the best.

pbmax
03-19-2019, 06:32 PM
Sure makes it easy to sit around and mope all day when you got 325k in your pocket and you don’t ever have to work

If the Packers are sitting on his rights, that signing bonus might not be his free and clear.

I’d be careful about assuming it’s his to spend and not payback. Depends on CBA and contract language.

Deputy Nutz
03-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Saw this article in February...Don't look like we will be seeing him anytime soon. https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Cole-Madison-Tyler-Hilinski-death--128975995/

What a loser.

SudsMcBucky
03-20-2019, 07:47 AM

$325k is FAR from "don't ever have to work" money.

Deputy Nutz
03-20-2019, 08:27 AM

We talking straight cash? I would figure out a way.

theeaterofshades
03-20-2019, 08:37 AM

It is buy a modest house and work a non stressful job money though

bobblehead
03-20-2019, 03:41 PM
We talking straight cash? I would figure out a way.

If it was on the spot, uncle sam will nab over 25% of it, so he gets 244k at best. Nice and all, but Won't get you retired unless you live in a hut.

red
03-20-2019, 03:49 PM
If it was on the spot, uncle sam will nab over 25% of it, so he gets 244k at best. Nice and all, but Won't get you retired unless you live in a hut.

it would allow you to sit around and do nothing for quite a few years

Fritz
03-20-2019, 04:42 PM

I haven't read anywhere that Madison violated the contract. It's possible that the signing bonus is understood as just that - a bonus you get for signing the contract. In which case, unless there's some clause somewhere that PB is referring to, that money is money the Packers agreed to pay Madison without requiring him to step onto a football field or attend a meeting. So what are you all bitching about?

Both sides agreed to the contract. Nowhere does it say Madison violated the contract. So until I hear further, I can only conclude that everything the guy has been within his rights.

red
03-20-2019, 06:19 PM
I haven't read anywhere that Madison violated the contract. It's possible that the signing bonus is understood as just that - a bonus you get for signing the contract. In which case, unless there's some clause somewhere that PB is referring to, that money is money the Packers agreed to pay Madison without requiring him to step onto a football field or attend a meeting. So what are you all bitching about?

Both sides agreed to the contract. Nowhere does it say Madison violated the contract. So until I hear further, I can only conclude that everything the guy has been within his rights.

its nice that he waited until he got the money to announce that he needed to step away from the game because it was found that his buddy had CTE. he signed his contract 4 months after his good buddy died

unless youre living under a rock, or in a red state where you believe that science is witchcraft concocted by the devil, then you've known for years the CTE is a problem and that football is bad for your health

at no point in high school or college, or even after he was drafted, did he think football was bad you you. only after he got 325k, then he started to question things. then, he just couldn't put himself at risk because his buddy had CTE

like i said. you can sit around and mope and do a lot of useless things when someone hands you a giant wad of cash to do nothing

Fritz
03-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Red, it's one thing to know something in your head. We all know, intellectually, that smoking can cause cancer. But when your best friend gets diagnosed and has about six months to live, then you really get it.

I thought I was cynical, but I'm not as cynical as you are, at least not in this case.

And Red, nobody thinks for a minute you'd sit around and mope if someone handed you a giant wad of cash. You'd be stocking up for an earth-shaking alcoholic binge. You're not one to laze around.

pbmax
03-20-2019, 08:08 PM
Its also possible he initially thought it wouldn't change a thing. But found out during the summer that it did.

Madison was reportedly in good spirits during the draft and all the way through minicamp, but something changed during the interlude between minicamp and training camp. Cohen suggests that Madison’s mindset may have changed when he learned that Hilinski had been suffering from CTE, which was reported in late June.

George Cumby
03-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Lol.

There are some bitter mother fuckers on this board.

Patler
03-21-2019, 01:35 PM
I suspect the Packers will be entitled to recover the bonus if he never reports.
Until proven otherwise, I will also believe that Madison will give it back willingly, just as Borland returned a portion of his when he retired for similar reasons after just one season.

MadScientist
03-21-2019, 02:25 PM
I suspect the Packers will be entitled to recover the bonus if he never reports.
Until proven otherwise, I will also believe that Madison will give it back willingly, just as Borland returned a portion of his when he retired for similar reasons after just one season.

I seem to recall that Borland actually owed more to SF than he actually took home from the bonus due to taxes and fees.

Patler
03-21-2019, 03:11 PM
I seem to recall that Borland actually owed more to SF than he actually took home from the bonus due to taxes and fees.

Could be, because the teams withhold taxes, and I believe also the agents fees. It would be up to the player to get refunds of over-payments after the "income" is returned to the employer..

bobblehead
03-22-2019, 10:43 AM

But isn't the contract to play football? I mean if you want to parse words he got a signing bonus to sign to play ball. If he never plays would a judge allow him to keep it? If you signed a contract to build a house that required 30% up front is that different than a signing bonus?

bobblehead
03-22-2019, 10:45 AM
its nice that he waited until he got the money to announce that he needed to step away from the game because it was found that his buddy had CTE. he signed his contract 4 months after his good buddy died

unless youre living under a rock, or in a red state where you believe that science is witchcraft concocted by the devil, then you've known for years the CTE is a problem and that football is bad for your health

at no point in high school or college, or even after he was drafted, did he think football was bad you you. only after he got 325k, then he started to question things. then, he just couldn't put himself at risk because his buddy had CTE

like i said. you can sit around and mope and do a lot of useless things when someone hands you a giant wad of cash to do nothing

Since you brought up politics should I go into the 10 ways that Democrats think the world is flat? If you want to bitch and cry like a schoolgirl everytime I make a political reference you should shut your pie hole about politics.

pbmax
03-24-2019, 08:58 AM
But isn't the contract to play football? I mean if you want to parse words he got a signing bonus to sign to play ball. If he never plays would a judge allow him to keep it? If you signed a contract to build a house that required 30% up front is that different than a signing bonus?

Player contracts envision all sorts of scenarios where a player is not playing football. That includes having commisioner's lists for players not currently playing football, where Madison is listed now.

Signing bonus, or guaranteed money, is also subjected to those designations. We can't assume that because we don't know what the contract does and does not provide for that either side is in violation. Or plans to violate it.

CaptainKickass
04-08-2019, 06:27 PM
The kid returns:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/g-cole-madison-reinstated-to-packers-roster/

QBME
04-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Nice.
Hope he's worked his way through the mess.

RashanGary
04-09-2019, 02:00 AM
Nigga’s back!!! Fuck yeah. Domination!

Fritz
04-09-2019, 05:28 AM
Nice.

From a strictly football perspective, this is a great boon to the Packers. Kid's young, so it's not like a year off is insurmountable. This might free up Gutekunst a bit more on draft day 3 and 4.

Apparently Madison is suited to a zone scheme, too.

mraynrand
04-09-2019, 07:32 AM
bud ain't cheap, even in the Pacific northwest

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 09:03 AM
bud ain't cheap, even in the Pacific northwest

From what I am told, they tax the shit out of it.

run pMc
04-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Nice.

This. x100.

As a fan, I'm also hoping he can develop into quality depth if not eventual starter. They've done more with less, although that was with a different OL coach.

The Shadow
04-09-2019, 11:27 AM
Surely, this will inspire BJ Raji to return.

Fritz
04-09-2019, 11:41 AM

I've heard their roads are great, too.

But as for Madison, it'll be interesting to see how long he takes to come back from being away, and what kinds of skills he has. He's only a 5th round pick, but we've gotten used to offensive linemen who are taken later in the draft turning into solid starters.

theeaterofshades
04-09-2019, 02:20 PM
Awesome. this frees us up for the following draft scenario:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019aprilfools.php

gbgary
04-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Surely, this will inspire BJ Raji to return.

and leroy butler too. amos can play free safety. he's versatile.

Freak Out
04-09-2019, 06:39 PM

Weed is cheap. I live in Bend OR and Anchorage AK and both places have cheap weed. OR overproduced big time.

pbmax
04-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Awesome. this frees us up for the following draft scenario:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019aprilfools.php

Thimble cannot use his hands.

Joemailman
04-22-2019, 01:11 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/22/packers-excited-about-return-of-cole-madison-really-really-pleasant-surprise/

Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst sounded genuinely surprised about the return of offensive lineman Cole Madison, who missed the entirety of his first professional season while dealing with a personal issue away from football.

“It was great to see Cole back in the building just doing some football things again. That was a really, really pleasant surprise,” Gutekunst said Monday.

“We’re excited to see what he can do for us because he had a really good offseason last year before everything transpired. Very optimistic,” Gutekunst said.

Gutekunst said Madison reported to the Packers’ offseason workout program in “great shape” and said he’ll have “no limitations” as he prepares for the 2019 season.

“He looks like the 6-5, 300-pounder that we drafted,” Gutekunst said. “Very optimistic, to see him progress this year.”

A year away from football may require a transition period early on, but Gutekunst likes the way Madison fits into Matt LaFleur’s new offensive scheme.

In fact, he might be a better fit in the zone-blocking scheme being installed by LaFleur and new offensive line coach Adam Stenavich, who both liked Madison coming out of Washington State in 2018.

“He actually fits this scheme as much if not more than last year,” Gutekunst said. “I know Matt in Tennessee, he was very much a fit for them. Those guys in San Francisco with Adam Stenavich, he was very much a fit for them. He’s absolutely a fit for what we’re trying to do.”

I wonder if Gutey would have spent the big money on Billy Turner if he had known Madison was coming back.

Fritz
04-22-2019, 01:15 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/22/packers-excited-about-return-of-cole-madison-really-really-pleasant-surprise/

I wonder if Gutey would have spent the big money on Billy Turner if he had known Madison was coming back.

I don't know, but he might be glad he did once Bulaga sustains his annual one-big-injury/series-of-debilitating-small-injuries, and Spriggs implodes on the seventh play of his first game as Bulaga's replacement...

pbmax
04-22-2019, 04:14 PM
I don't know, but he might be glad he did once Bulaga sustains his annual one-big-injury/series-of-debilitating-small-injuries, and Spriggs implodes on the seventh play of his first game as Bulaga's replacement...

You have this backwards again. As a fan, you should be expecting great things of all people, regardless of past performance (the tex methodology).

Then when catastrophe strikes, you knew it all along (everyone else on the board methodology).

red
04-22-2019, 04:39 PM

i don't know if a 5th round pick who skipped a year is a guy who is automatically a starter type player

he's a backup guy, and if we are lucky, he might be something more

plus, we can get out of the turner deal after one year and actually save money against the cap, if we want to

Joemailman
04-23-2019, 06:56 PM
Interesting stuff from Cole Madison:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/04/23/cole-madison-absence-packers-my-life-line/3550555002/

Madison, a fifth-round pick last spring, said his absence was necessary so he could focus on “mental health” without the distraction of his rookie season in the NFL.

“I love football,” he said, “but at that point it was my health, and my life was on the line. I had to go help myself before my football career. If I didn’t get my chickens in order back then, I don’t think I’d be here right now.”

He was initially reluctant to seek help, but now knows it was the only way he could heal.

“That decision to really go out and seek help,” Madison said, “especially for men our age, going out and starting that process is real tough. Real tough. If I had to make it again, I’d do it again. Because it was the greatest decision I think I ever made.”

Madison said his mental health concerns predated former Washington State quarterback and teammate Tyler Hilinski’s suicide in January 2018. Hilinski’s death did not trigger his absence from the game, Madison said. If anything, he said, it was a reminder he wasn’t the only one struggling with mental health.

Madison will have to shake the rust that accumulated from his year away, but he could have an opportunity if he returns to play at a high level. At the very least, his return gives the Packers a versatile and athletic lineman. Madison said he took reps at center and left guard in his first practice Tuesday since last year’s minicamp.

“However they want me to play,” Madison said, “I’ll play for them. They had my back, I’ll have their back now.”

Hope everything works out for him.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Sure it sounds good, but Rat posters know he is just scheming to keep his signing bonus.

Fritz
04-24-2019, 10:58 AM
Interesting stuff from Cole Madison:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/04/23/cole-madison-absence-packers-my-life-line/3550555002/

Hope everything works out for the Packers and this guy becomes a tremendous starter, because that's what really matters.

FIFY

Joemailman
04-24-2019, 11:57 AM
I could see him giving Lane Taylor a real run for the starting LG spot.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 02:28 PM
Everyone is sleeping on Lucas Patrick.