PDA

View Full Version : The Great Joel Buchsbaum : The Original (and Mysterious) Draft Guru

The Shadow
03-27-2019, 11:20 AM
How many of you guys remember the one-of-a-kind ultimate draftnik?

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-55624.html

pbmax
03-27-2019, 11:55 AM
How many of you guys remember the one-of-a-kind ultimate draftnik?

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/archive/index.php/t-55624.html

He was basically a shut-in. A sort of sad story.

But preferable to hairdos Daniel Jeremiah and Mel.

The Shadow
03-27-2019, 01:14 PM
He wrote the very best & detailed draft reports.

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Doesn't ring a bell, wish I could see or recognize his work, although he sounded like a crazy person, and I just can't respect a guy that doesn't eat.

Fritz
03-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Doesn't ring a bell, wish I could see or recognize his work, although he sounded like a crazy person, and I just can't respect a guy that doesn't eat.

"His analysis was so good that NFL coaches, owners and personnel people sought his advice.

'I tried to hire him as a scout with the [Cleveland] Browns every year,' said New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick. 'But he always said he'd rather work for all 32 teams.' "

You sure this isn't a relative of yours, Nutz? Your draft analysis this year is pretty damn detailed.

pbmax
03-27-2019, 01:29 PM

He worked for PFW when it was still a thriving weekly paper. I suspect somewhere they have a sample of his stuff, but I don't see it with cursory Googling. Their current guy is Nolan Nawrocki, who like McGinn, loves to publish verbatim scout bullshit rather than analyze the player.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Flashback-Meet-Joel-Buchsbaum-the-ultimate-NFL-7378840.php

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/03/22/hub-arkush-remembering-the-original-nfl-draftnik-on-40th-anniversary-of-his-passing/ahxtgns/

If you are familiar with the Arkush family brand, you will not be surprised to know that they founded the draftnik model. :roll:

The Shadow
03-27-2019, 01:33 PM
I remember driving down to the Pro Football Weekly headquarters on Peterson Ave. here in Chicago to pick up the Buchsbaum draft guide on the day it was released. I guess my life was not tremendously exciting.

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 01:39 PM
"His analysis was so good that NFL coaches, owners and personnel people sought his advice.

'I tried to hire him as a scout with the [Cleveland] Browns every year,' said New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick. 'But he always said he'd rather work for all 32 teams.' "

You sure this isn't a relative of yours, Nutz? Your draft analysis this year is pretty damn detailed.

I once did a 7 round mock draft. It was done a week before the draft and then some asshole teams went and traded and screwed everything up

mraynrand
03-27-2019, 01:56 PM
I once did a 7 round mock draft. It was done a week before the draft and then some asshole teams went and traded and screwed everything up

Even if they apologize, where do you go to get your life back?

Deputy Nutz
03-27-2019, 02:01 PM
Even if they apologize, where do you go to get your life back?

You can't, those 4 months are forever gone, and recovery has been difficult

George Cumby
03-27-2019, 04:00 PM
He worked for PFW when it was still a thriving weekly paper. I suspect somewhere they have a sample of his stuff, but I don't see it with cursory Googling. Their current guy is Nolan Nawrocki, who like McGinn, loves to publish verbatim scout bullshit rather than analyze the player.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Flashback-Meet-Joel-Buchsbaum-the-ultimate-NFL-7378840.php

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2019/03/22/hub-arkush-remembering-the-original-nfl-draftnik-on-40th-anniversary-of-his-passing/ahxtgns/

If you are familiar with the Arkush family brand, you will not be surprised to know that they founded the draftnik model. :roll:

I used to get the PFW draft and season previews. Those were good. Sporting News had good ones too.

The stuff these days? Meh.

BTW. Get off my fucking lawn.

Fritz
03-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Sporting News used to be a fine publication. I had a subscription back in the 80's and early 90's.

The Shadow
03-27-2019, 09:58 PM
But Joel was the best.

mraynrand
03-28-2019, 09:23 AM
Sporting News used to be a fine publication. I had a subscription back in the 80's and early 90's.

I used to read that thing cover to cover back in the 80's. Along with Packer Report (lol, talk about distilled, concentrated homerism)

Patler
03-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Along with Packer Report (lol, talk about distilled, concentrated homerism)

What? Nitschke presented a biased view of the Packers??????

Patler
03-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Wow, a name from the past I had sort of forgotten about, until reminded.

Buchsbaum is as much responsible for the NFL's merchandising of the draft as the NFL is itself, because he got fans interested in it. He was the first real source for fans to get into the draft. He evaluated players and tried to tie them to NFL teams' needs/interests. When he got started, the average fan had limited opportunities to see college players outside their own region of the country. Even Bowl games were extremely limited. Buchsbaum provided a source for fans to read about how a player they knew compared to one they had heard of but rarely if ever saw.

Initially, the guy was somewhat ignored/scoffed at; but it didn't take long for even the NFL teams themselves to realize he knew what he was talking about. Articles about players before and after the draft would quote his comments on them. He was the primary source of information about players until the NFL combine started providing stats to compare. He made the draft something that NFL fans could ponder over and look forward to ahead of the event.

Many tried to emulate him, but no one came close to the thoroughness and accuracy that he provided.

The Shadow
03-29-2019, 09:32 AM
I wish someone would make a documentary about him. He'd be a fascinating study.

pbmax
03-29-2019, 10:39 AM
I wish someone would make a documentary about him. He'd be a fascinating study.

Have spent a little time looking for his work online. Can't find any except quotes here or there in articles.

I almost am at the point of buying something on eBay to read it, like a back issue.

Which is crazy. I almost don't want to read more about this draft.

The Shadow
03-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Have spent a little time looking for his work online. Can't find any except quotes here or there in articles.

I almost am at the point of buying something on eBay to read it, like a back issue.

Which is crazy. I almost don't want to read more about this draft.

I have some VERY old issues stuck in a box somewhere in the attic. I might go looking and read the scouting report on James Lofton.

Spaulding
03-30-2019, 02:32 AM
Great read. Thanks for sharing!

theeaterofshades
04-01-2019, 02:10 PM
I am gathering he was somewhere on the Autism spectrum by the description of single-mindedness, anti-social preferences, lack of self care...

The Shadow
04-01-2019, 03:08 PM
I am gathering he was somewhere on the Autism spectrum by the description of single-mindedness, anti-social preferences, lack of self care...

This analysis would apply to most Rats.

George Cumby
04-01-2019, 05:28 PM

*raises hand sheepishly*

Fritz
04-01-2019, 05:33 PM
My parents always looked at my colored drawings from second grade and say, "Fritz, you're very autistic."

I thought they were saying "artistic," but I get it now.

mraynrand
04-02-2019, 10:33 AM
*raises hand sheepsheadly*

FIFY

mraynrand
04-02-2019, 10:34 AM
My parents always looked at my colored drawings from second grade and say, "Fritz, you're very autistic."

I thought they were saying "artistic," but I get it now.

lol

theeaterofshades
04-03-2019, 10:12 AM

some more than others.... APB/Tank we're looking at you

The Shadow
04-09-2019, 11:07 AM
By the way, Joel is generally credited for creating the description "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."