PDA

View Full Version : Brady Poppinga

packers11
09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Can you talk about most overrated packer ??? JESUS.. what do you see in this guy, he blew every pass he was covering, and was awful in my opinion.... The packers should just stay in nicketl 24/7 or put in taylor for KNOWN running plays....

Thoughts?

b bulldog
09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Awful in coverage but he is basicly a R.

red
09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
i wish they would have put taylor in for a little bit.

we might see a change for next week

b bulldog
09-10-2006, 06:41 PM
I agree, he couldn't have done any worse.

Partial
09-10-2006, 08:45 PM
There is no way Taylor doesn't start unless McCarthy is an idiot, but then again who knows.

ND72
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
hate to say i told you so, but.....I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! POOPinga is horrible. just horrible. The Bears staff is seriously the smartest coaching staff in the world...they ran almost all of their plays AT POOPinga, and for the most part, he got rocked. Then they ran play actions back towards him, and he was stuck following the running back...and then the "speedster" got BURNED by Desmond "i am slow" Clark. He's horrible. Put him on the special teams and hope he doesn't something there, cause he whiffed on about 5 special team tackles as well, including the TD return by Hester. POOPinga sure is a stud though...

potsdam_11
09-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Brady looked like an average player on a bad defense...

On the brighter side, Sherman's late round drafting prowess is further bolstered, as Hunter Hillenmeyer continues to play well... :smile:

KYPack
09-10-2006, 09:40 PM
I knew we were in trouble when they said they were starting Pop. He's a good, hustling troop & all, but no way he's an NFL starting linebacker. He can't coever at all and he's not very fast.

He's a good situation substitution guy, a 2 pt stance DE, but he's a couple years from playing LB regularly.

Taylor is a "C"student, but he's not gonna get you the cover problems Pop will. We are hurting at SAM once again.

VegasPackFan
09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I made the observation during the game that the only time I saw Poppinga on the screen was after a Bear player made a catch.

Bretsky
09-11-2006, 12:32 AM
I've called Pop the forums most overrated Packer often and don't understand why he's starting.

He lacks instincts and is not near starting caliber at this point.

mraynrand
09-11-2006, 12:34 AM
There is no way Taylor doesn't start unless McCarthy is an idiot, but then again who knows.

Reminds one of the calls to put Joey Thomas in after the 'poor showing' by Carroll in last year's opener

mraynrand
09-11-2006, 12:39 AM
On the brighter side, Sherman's late round drafting prowess is further bolstered, as Hunter Hillenmeyer continues to play well... :smile:

TT's mid-late round picks from last year sure shined, didn't they? In addition to Pops, White, Coston, Montgomery and Hawkins were spectacular.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I was not one of those on the Poppinga bandwagon, but he's played about two quarters since his remarkable recovery from a torn ACL at the end of last year. He covered like Abdul Hodge in this game, but I'll give him a few games before saying he sucks. Like all of the young guys, I want to see improvement throughout the year.

Scott Campbell
09-11-2006, 11:32 AM
We are hurting at SAM once again.

Hmmmm. What to do? What to do?

Oooooooooo. Here's an original idea. Let's move Barnett to Sam and try Hodge at Mike.

Feel free to discuss.

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 11:38 AM
We are hurting at SAM once again.

Hmmmm. What to do? What to do?

Oooooooooo. Here's an original idea. Let's move Barnett to Sam and try Hodge at Mike.

Feel free to discuss.

I agree, but is this a 'drastic times deserve drastic measures' situation.

Barnett played 'ok' yesterday and who knows if he'll try to play well at SAM (feeling slighted) - my gut feeling is yes - because he wants another solid season before he jettisons away from his nightclub and GB next year. He's got good coverage and can play any LB position.

A better discussion, IMO, is when do you realize, as a coach, when to use Woodson as a WR/PR/KR/Nickle and bring Carrol back as a starter... not to hijack the thread but just something to consider.

I.E., the main problem yesterday wasn't Poppinga but the secondary as a whole.

ND72
09-11-2006, 11:53 AM
if they were to move Barnett to SAM, they should have done it during hte Pre-Season. I wish they would have. BUT....he might actually be too small...so i donno. I'm not a POOPinga fan, I want to be...BUT...i see him as a lot of energy...but that might just mean he's our special teams stud. the bigger question than what to do at LB, cause i think we could be ok, just need more work, is what to do on KICKOFFS?

Tarlam!
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
My first post of the day.

I was and still am on the Poppinga Bandwagon. I know he got torched. I know they went after him big time.

Stop to think about his the guts he must have to even take the field after that injury - how much pain he must have swallowed to rehab in that amount of time. Bretsky, you, above any here, know what that must have taken.

Yes, I acknowledge he was outmatched, but I for one am glad M3 stuck to him and I 4 one hope he gets a few chances.

If he can get his body to do what his brain wants it to, his heart has shown it can drive, we have a great Sam LB here.

I will not stop loving Popp after an inaugural shitty game. He has shown too much devotion to football, the Ball Club and the Fans to be disregarded in such a manner.

Fosco33
09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
My first post of the day.

I was and still am on the Poppinga Bandwagon. I know he got torched. I know they went after him big time.

Stop to think about his the guts he must have to even take the field after that injury - how much pain he must have swallowed to rehab in that amount of time. Bretsky, you, above any here, know what that must have taken.

Yes, I acknowledge he was outmatched, but I for one am glad M3 stuck to him and I 4 one hope he gets a few chances.

If he can get his body to do what his brain wants it to, his heart has shown it can drive, we have a great Sam LB here.

I will not stop loving Popp after an inaugural shitty game. He has shown too much devotion to football, the Ball Club and the Fans to be disregarded in such a manner.

Good point. I counted AG out after his injury but many other noted that his heart (and body) was really into getting back. My question though.... AG wants to return to greatness; does Poppinga have the stuff to be good in the NFL?

Deputy Nutz
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Brady looked like an average player on a bad defense...

To bad Sherman couldn't trust his own judgement and keep Hillenmeyer on the team. Why he was cut, I will never know.

Tarlam!
09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your reply Fosco!

Yeah, I think he does. I think he knows his situation is a dream come true. I think he attributes his fortune to a higher being and he feels responsible for working within that framework - Brady poppinga believes in what he is doing.

packiowa
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
As an Iowa fan, I must temper any pull for Hodge. Think back to all those plays you've seen over the years where Barnett covers the rb on a late break out of the backfield. Barnett always seems to be behind the play. Hodge would be ever worse. I'm sorry but Hodge only needs to play if teams are running all over us. The Bears didn't do that. Pop actually plays the run well too. He slices through space and sticks his nose in the play better than ANY lb we currently have. I could see teams wearing Hodge out.

wist43
09-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Poppinga looked lost in coverage, but I don't think it was b/c of a lack of speed or athletic ability. He looked like a young guy who is lacking experience and wasn't really sure of his techniques. He took a couple of bad angles and it cost him and the team.

He needs to be more physical in holding up and disrupting the TE's route in the chuck zone. Beyond that, as he becomes more familiar with his resposibilities in coverage, he should cut down on his mistakes in coverage and take better angles.

Going back and looking at the game, Poppinga was a liability in coverage, but he was just as much of an asset against the run. He and Chicago FB Jason McKie #37 had several epic collisions in hole - most of which Poppinga won. He penetrated effectively, blew up blockers, disengaged well and found the ball. His physical presence up front is absolutely necessary if this defense is going to improve. I have to admit that I was fairly impressed with how physical the Packers front seven was - and Brady Poppinga was a big part of that.

He'll never be an asset in coverage, but I think he can, with more experience and good coaching, at least be adequate. He brings a lot of toughness and physicality to the Packers defense, and they desperately need that.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2006, 07:45 PM
What a joke, wist! All this time you've ripped Barnett when he has good or bad games--rarely giving him any credit. When it's a guy you like (and I don't understand the fascination), you don't judge him honestly. Poppinga played as poorly in coverage as Barnett ever has. It was horrible. Desmond Clark tore him up.

Packnut
09-11-2006, 07:56 PM
The fact that any of you would defend this guy after yesterday is mind-boggling to say the least. It's one thing to get beat by Heap or Shockey but when you get beat by the worst TE in the game, you have more problems than just technique. :crazy:

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2006, 08:03 PM
If Poppinga is really hopeless in coverage, he'll be replaced in 3 or 4 weeks.

Right now, he's a guy who is bound to be rusty. Didn't play much in preseason, and was on an accelerated rehab schedule prior to that.

Ben Taylor (from what I heard from Jason Wilde on radio) had a lot of trouble against the run in preseason. And Hodge really looked lost in coverage, a big disadvantage even if you could get Barnet to perform at SAM.

The best option right now seems to be to have a little patience with Poppinga. If he shakes off the rust, and rises to a competent level in coverage, he's the best option. I don't trust any of you cock-sure experts who say he can't play the linebacker position - wait and see.

ND72
09-11-2006, 08:07 PM
I will give POOPinga some credit....Lovie smith said 95% of their run plays were designed to run right at "the packers weaker Linebacker" (aka, POOPinga)....not that he made all the plays, but they did only average 3.0 a carry on 36 carries. But, those 36 carries made their play actions killer though against Brady, cause they just threw over top of him.

KYPack
09-11-2006, 08:24 PM
SNIP
Ben Taylor (from what I heard from Jason Wilde on radio) had a lot of trouble against the run in preseason. And Hodge really looked lost in coverage, a big disadvantage even if you could get Barnet to perform at SAM.

The best option right now seems to be to have a little patience with Poppinga. If he shakes off the rust, and rises to a competent level in coverage, he's the best option. I don't trust any of you cock-sure experts who say he can't play the linebacker position - wait and see.

OK Blue Hound,,,

Ben Taylor plays the run like he plays the pass, average in all respects. He's usually in good position to make a play, but he's not gonna do anything spectacular.

Your adopted son Poppinga actually plays the run better than Taylor. But...... he's lost in coverage. He needs a year of seasoning, film work, and drilling on his cover technique. Right now, he's clueless. I'd say they need to put Taylor in and work Brady into the mix as he gains experience.

Brady will be on the roster next year, Taylor probably won't (a'la Robt Thomas)

Right now, he can't do the job.

I'm cock sure about the whole thing, ya know.

Bossman641
09-11-2006, 08:26 PM
What a joke, wist! All this time you've ripped Barnett when he has good or bad games--rarely giving him any credit. When it's a guy you like (and I don't understand the fascination), you don't judge him honestly. Poppinga played as poorly in coverage as Barnett ever has. It was horrible. Desmond Clark tore him up.

If Barnett had taken those same bad angles Wist would have been all over him. I'll admit that Poppinga is decent in run support but he was bad in coverage and absolutely terrible at recognizing play action.

Merlin
09-11-2006, 08:26 PM

Popinga is TT's pick. Taylor is a stop gap to TT. Popinga starts, period.

wist43
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Where in that post did I say Poppinga played well in coverage??? I'm looking at Poppinga's potential... he's got upside, but as I said, coverage will never be a strength. I'm convinced Poppinga's instincts are light years better than Barnett's... Poppinga will improve, and it's not like they're ever going to ask him to play in the nickel or dime. He is what he is.

As for your Barnett reference - my initial impressions were that he played a little above averae (didn't study him much though) - which for Barnett, was a very good game.

RashanGary
09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Barnett and Hawk both had really good games. I hope Poppinga gets alot better next weak or we're in trouble.

ND72
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Lets just say this....it's the first game, I think all of our guys can get better...and if POOP, Barnett, and Hawk all improve every game, we shoudl all be very happy by the end of the year.

RashanGary
09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Barnett and Hawk both look very good right now. Poppinga had some moments where he looked tough as nails but moments where he cost us stops and cost our offense from getting on the field. He needs to get that fixed and he needs to do it soon.

He's a dangerous blitzer from the LB position. We should give him a chance to go at the QB. That will get him out of coverage and into a position where he can excell for at least 2 or 3 plays per game. He can get taken out in nickle/dime of course.....Other than that, he needs to play the pass much better or he won't last as a starter.

ND72
09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
I did like seeing Poppinga step up and take on the lead blocker, haven't had that in YEARS...which instantly makes Barnett better. I did like our blitz looks for the most part yesterday, Hawk had a couple nice blitz's as well, not just coming off the corner. Poppinga had 1 that i saw where he got close, but the 2 big "pressure" blitz's were Hawks.

packiowa
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I did like seeing Poppinga step up and take on the lead blocker, haven't had that in YEARS...which instantly makes Barnett better. I did like our blitz looks for the most part yesterday, Hawk had a couple nice blitz's as well, not just coming off the corner. Poppinga had 1 that i saw where he got close, but the 2 big "pressure" blitz's were Hawks.

Barnett brought pressure right before his int.

Poppinga is a GREAT first year guy against the run. He is better than Hawk at this aspect of the game. He is way better than Barnett too. Unfortunately, he can't cover an average TE (better than Bubba, he's just never had a qb) yet.

It does tend to open up the middle area of the field and short passes when a team gets burnt deep early. Notice that every deep ball after Berrian's was at least a solid double.

How come the Bears threw to the TE, yet we only batted down 1 pass from the midget? That and we didn't seem to get a single hard shot on Grossman.

Partial
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM

Poppinga is a GREAT first year guy against the run. He is better than Hawk at this aspect of the game. He is way better than Barnett too. Unfortunately, he can't cover an average TE (better than Bubba, he's just never had a qb) yet.

It does tend to open up the middle area of the field and short passes when a team gets burnt deep early. Notice that every deep ball after Berrian's was at least a solid double.

How come the Bears threw to the TE, yet we only batted down 1 pass from the midget? That and we didn't seem to get a single hard shot on Grossman.

Better than HAWK against the run? Poppycock :crazy:

packiowa
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM

Better than HAWK against the run? Poppycock :crazy:

Yeah, Hawk has a little more Barnett in him than Popinga. Pop and Hodge (both huge coverage liabilities) attack the ball carrier better than the others.

Guess what else, KGB has looked pretty darn good against the run this year.

pittstang5
09-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey all. I haven't posted in a couple days (not that I post that much to begin with) because I'm still upset over the loss. I'm not upset that they lost...I just wanted to see a game, not a mockery.

So what's the consensus people. Should the Pack pull Poppinga and start Taylor against the Saints or let it ride?

I'm no football expert....yet, and can't stomach watching this game again, but what I do remember is that Clark was open......open alot. I found this the most disturbing out of everything that happened....YES, even more disturbing then Herron's fumble. I couldn't tell who was at fault, because most times I was watching the pass rush and not paying attention to who was covering who. From common knowledge of Football, I figured it had to be a Linebacker and the player (TE) would mean that either Hawk or Poppinga was at fault. If everyone in here says that Poppinga was the culpret...then by God, let's do something about it. Look what happened to Colledge on his poor showing in preseason - INSTANT DEMOTION!

The Saints are worse off at TE than Chicago, even though I can't believe Clark came out of this game looking like Tony "Freakin" Gonzalez. If the Saints TEs start getting hot, you gotta pull Poppinga.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Tough call. Poppinga seems to have a brighter future than Taylor, but if he remains a liability, that can't start him while they still are in contention. I can see them giving him another game. If he struggles, I could then see Taylor starting--until the Packers are eliminated from the playoff race.

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Can't they rotate them in and out? Put Popp in and if he struggles, sub him out for a series or two and put him back in later to see what he does. Isn't this why we have 53 guys on the team (I know only 45 suit up) rather than 22?

FritzDontBlitz
09-12-2006, 05:06 PM
floppinga's aggressive nature suits him well for the run game but he is a liability to play action passes. so, since he's too busy looking into the back field to cover anyway, why not just make him a blitzer?

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2006, 07:49 PM
since he's too busy looking into the back field to cover anyway, why not just make him a blitzer?

I'm sure you didn't quite mean it this way, but I picture the Packers having a designated blitzer on the roster, who runs out on the field whenever a blitz is called. Perhaps a red "B" on the player's helmet.

I also had a chuckle at Harvey's suggestion that the Packers bench Poppinga until they are eliminated from the playoffs. It makes sense, but a lot of people aren't seeing a 10-6 team here. Well, I guess there is Ziggy.

Here's the deal. The big deal. The real deal: we're only arguing over whether to make a decision on Poppinga now or waiting 3 weeks to decide. I say you give the guy a chance to adjust, particularly in light of the fact that he's just back from a year of injury, and is likely to improve week-to-week. On a team this crappy, with a backup in Ben Taylor who is suspect against the run, this 3 week wait is hardly worth debating.

MJZiggy
09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Kiss my optimism.