PDA

View Full Version : Official 2019 Workout/OTA/Minicamp Thread

Joemailman
04-02-2019, 08:29 PM
First day: April 8
Voluntary minicamp: April 23-25
OTAs: May 20-21, May 23, May 28-29, May 31, June 3-6
Mandatory minicamp: June 11-13

No word yet on which sessions will be open to the public.

Joemailman
04-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Cole Madison reports! Reinstated to roster.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/g-cole-madison-reinstated-to-packers-roster/

The Green Bay Packers are getting a big boost along the offensive line to start their offseason workout program.

Guard Cole Madison, who sat out his entire rookie season in 2018 while dealing with a personal issue, reported to Lambeau Field and was reinstated to the roster Monday, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

The Packers’ official roster now includes Madison, who spent all of last year on the “did not report” list.

The Packers made Madison a fifth-round pick last year. He participated during the team’s offseason workout program but did not report for training camp.

GM Brian Gutekunst and the Packers remained supportive of Madison’s decision to step away throughout the process.

A right tackle at Washington State, Madison is expected to compete for playing time at guard in Green Bay. He could provide quality depth as the Packers attempt to put the pieces in place along the offensive line for new coach Matt LaFleur.

gbgary
04-08-2019, 04:43 PM

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/g-cole-madison-reinstated-to-packers-roster/

woah! that's great.

pbmax
04-08-2019, 04:46 PM
So do the Packers have to return the bonus that they should have demanded returned from Madison because he formerly was a fuckup but is now OK?

gbgary
04-08-2019, 04:48 PM
So do the Packers have to return the bonus that they should have demanded returned from Madison because he formerly was a fuckup but is now OK?

lol...doubt they even asked for it. he's a member of sensitive generation so, keeping that in mind, the Packers acted accordingly and let it slide.

pbmax
04-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Have to go back to the normal avatar now the the 2019-20 season is upon us.

gbgary
04-08-2019, 04:53 PM

watch your head.

Joemailman
04-08-2019, 05:19 PM

Is this a prediction that the Packers will be in the playoffs?

pbmax
04-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Is this a prediction that the Packers will be in the playoffs?

Always. Unless 12-3-1 doesn't qualify you for a WC.

red
04-08-2019, 05:28 PM

good news

lets hope he has his head right

pbmax
04-08-2019, 06:03 PM
good news

lets hope he has his head right

Figuratively or literally?

Because if literally, we're gonna need a tissue sample.

Fritz
04-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Which head?

Deputy Nutz
04-09-2019, 09:05 AM

I thought you were a totally new poster. man, you got me!

bobblehead
04-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Thing I am most interested in, but have no way to get answer:

Spriggs has carried 300+ for over a year now. Has he become comfortable enough at that size to move like he did in college? If so, he will be a good starter in this league yet. If not his career is likely done.

gbgary
04-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Spriggs has carried 300+ for over a year now. Has he become comfortable enough at that size to move like he did in college? If so, he will be a good starter in this league yet. If not his career is likely done.

he doesn't look like 300 lb'ers used to look.

Fritz
04-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Hell, I was wondering, after telling him he needed to bulk up for the past two years, if now they're gonna tell him that the zone-blocking offensive tackle needs to be nimble, so he needs to drop fifteen pounds.

Some things about playing in the NFL would just suck, man.

I know a lot of us think they're overpaid babies now, but basically you're in a profession where you can make a lot of money, but for a very brief period of time, mostly, and in return you risk your brain, your body, your privacy.

Of course I used to wish I could've been an NFL player, but these days, it doesn't sound so hot. And it was probably worse back in the day - less protection for players, and a lot smaller paycheck.

pbmax
04-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Shanny/McVay offense stacked receivers versus man coverage. Featuring bonus footage of Washington scoring a TD versus the Packers.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6264/how-los-angeles-rams-coach-sean-mcvay-uses-the-trips-2-man-stack-formation

bobblehead
04-11-2019, 09:10 AM
he doesn't look like 300 lb'ers used to look.

Go watch some film of Dillard. That his how Spriggs moved in college...problem is that Dillard is 315, spriggs was 275. If Spriggs is up to 315 and regained most of his movement.....Awesome. If not, take Dillard at 12.

pbmax
04-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Maybe they go CB in the first round. He is the only guy not practicing.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13
King is here but not practicing. Just doing some light jogging.

Joemailman
04-24-2019, 02:59 PM
Maybe they go CB in the first round. He is the only guy not practicing.

King is here but not practicing. Just doing some light jogging.

I wonder if they have a plan to limit him to how much he does this early:

“I feel good,” King said. “I’m just trying to build up my body and get everything right and try to get ready for this season. I’m still working on (the shoulder) and rehabbing it, but it’s just something we stay on top of, so I don’t have that problem again.

“It’s just trying to be able to play all 19, 20 games.”

This is the first offseason King has not had considerable restrictions on what he could do in the weight room.

RashanGary
04-24-2019, 08:26 PM

There is way more to LT than size and ability to move. There is way more to wr than ability to run and agility and size. So much goes into it.

There is just a feel and an art to blocking. There are plenty of 6’5 250lb tes. Very few block like Hockenson. Has as much to do with instincts and feel and a certain mindset as it does with physical ability. In the nfl it takes both. But it’s far more than just size and athletic ability.

Fritz
04-25-2019, 11:49 AM
I wonder if Spriggs will end up being more suited to this zone stuff, or if his feet won't be quick enough. Guess we'll find out soon.

bobblehead
04-25-2019, 11:58 AM
There is way more to LT than size and ability to move. There is way more to wr than ability to run and agility and size. So much goes into it.

There is just a feel and an art to blocking. There are plenty of 6’5 250lb tes. Very few block like Hockenson. Has as much to do with instincts and feel and a certain mindset as it does with physical ability. In the nfl it takes both. But it’s far more than just size and athletic ability.

Never said there wasn't, but Spriggs biggest problem was size. He now has the size, but first year carrying it he lost his slide and recover ability. Not sure about his punch because he was always too off balance to use it after gaining the weight.

I played OL at a shitty small college, and I am way undersized. I understand what goes into the position. Dillard anchors incredibly well, moves like a smaller man. He can protect a QB. He also plays with good...wait for it...pad level which leads me to believe he will become a very good run blocker if he chooses to.

My point being, Dillard has everything you want a top 15 OT to have. Spriggs had the toolbox, but was slight. Thus he went in the 2nd, not the first. Spriggs now has the weight, but its questionable if he can carry it well enough to be a good NFL player. I suspect that even if he flames out this year he will stick around a couple years in the league as a backup as he gains more strength and ability to carry that weight.

bobblehead
04-25-2019, 12:00 PM
I wonder if Spriggs will end up being more suited to this zone stuff, or if his feet won't be quick enough. Guess we'll find out soon.

One big trait for a classic ZBS guy is the ability to lock onto a guy in the open field. Lindstrom has that. Turner has it which is why we gave him this huge contract.

pbmax
05-03-2019, 11:11 AM
The signings continue apace.

#Packers announce the signings of 11 UDFAs:

LB Curtis Bolton
WR Matthew Eaton
CB Kabion Ento
CB Javien Hamilton
TE Davis Koppenhaver
OT Yosh Nijman
LB Randy Ramsey
LB Greg Roberts
CB Nydair Rouse
QB Manny Wilkins
OL Larry Williams

pbmax
05-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Dave Gaylinn @DGaylinn
@Michael_Cohen13 Do you know what happened with the CB from North Texas? I think his name is Nate Brooks. Sounded like he was on his way and now he's off to Arizona.

Unclear right now. Sometimes it means a player failed the physical upon arrival. I don’t know for sure what happened with Brooks.

pbmax
05-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Chicken Soup for the Cheatriots Hating Soul

Around The NFL @AroundTheNFL
Patriots QB Tom Brady explains his relatively low salary: 'My wife makes a lot of money'

https://t.co/ZzZPYs3ti2

Jimmy Kempski @JimmyKempski
He left out, "The Patriots are a client of my private business, & I've been profiting from that partnership for years, enabling the team to skirt the salary cap while other teams with franchise quarterbacks are saddled by albatross contracts and struggle to add talent elsewhere."

pbmax
05-03-2019, 11:16 AM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
The Packers now have both of their first-round picks under contract. Rashan Gary (No. 12) signed today after Darnell Savage Jr. (No. 21) signed yesterday. Only two picks still to be signed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5p7C67XoAAcfdv.jpg:large

ESPN: https://t.co/KtAMnrqOlK

Cheesehead Craig
05-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Packers aren't wasting time in getting the guys taken care of. Only the Packers have signed their first round picks.

red
05-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Packers aren't wasting time in getting the guys taken care of. Only the Packers have signed their first round picks.

I don’t know why it takes so long for teams to sign first rounders

It’s all slotted, there’s really nothing to negotiate

run pMc
05-03-2019, 05:30 PM
I don’t know why it takes so long for teams to sign first rounders

It’s all slotted, there’s really nothing to negotiate

I believe there's basically a range that can be offered, and some back and forth over guaranteed money. Last year CHI was trying to nickle and dime Roquan Smith and he held out for a while.
Generally you're correct, and frankly I kind of like that they basically have salaries slotted. Avoids lengthy holdouts, as well as prevents teams from signing players like JaMarcus Russell to stupid money before they ever take a pro snap.

red
05-03-2019, 06:03 PM
I believe there's basically a range that can be offered, and some back and forth over guaranteed money. Last year CHI was trying to nickle and dime Roquan Smith and he held out for a while.
Generally you're correct, and frankly I kind of like that they basically have salaries slotted. Avoids lengthy holdouts, as well as prevents teams from signing players like JaMarcus Russell to stupid money before they ever take a pro snap.

Bears really did dick over Roquan. He basically got pennies more then the guy drafted right after him, and that was with a holdout

The gap a guy fits into is like 1-2 million over 4 years

Just offer him money on the high side of the slot and get the deal done, like the packers did

Joemailman
05-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Something to cheer everybody up: Rashan Gary practiced with a shoulder brace.

https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0504%2Fr538041_600x400_3-2.jpg&w=570&format=jpg

mraynrand
05-03-2019, 10:49 PM
Something to cheer everybody up: Rashan Gary practiced with a shoulder brace.

https://a1.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0504%2Fr538041_600x400_3-2.jpg&w=570&format=jpg

Anyone wearing #52 should be more worried about their hammys (hammies?).

Zool
05-04-2019, 07:31 AM
He’s going to really be....hamstrung by that jersey

red
05-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Who the hell is the midget behind him?

Looks like #47

pbmax
05-04-2019, 08:43 AM
Honestly, if you had asked, I would have expected it. The worse news will be when he is withheld from practice for precautionary reasons.

pbmax
05-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Who the hell is the midget behind him?

Looks like #47

Javien Hamilton from Ole Miss at 5' 10" if they aren't doubling up numbers at this point with UDFA and tryout guys.

texaspackerbacker
05-04-2019, 11:39 AM
We got a Javien and a Kabion ....... no Le'veon?

pbmax
05-04-2019, 12:29 PM
This article from Cheesehead TV (https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/an-early-handicap-on-potential-packers-cap-casualties-548) is proof that cap casualties is now a staple of SEO and you will ALWYS get an article about it every offseason, no matter whether is has any chance of happening or not.

The giveaway is that after naming 4 potential cap casualties (including ever present cap casualty victim Brian Bulaga) concludes that all four will be kept.

mraynrand
05-04-2019, 01:38 PM
We got a Javien and a Kabion ....... no Le'veon?

Set’ldown

Anti-Polar Bear
05-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Who is rooting for CJ Collins, QB, Southwest Assemblies of God?

smuggler
05-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Why would they need to? Still has four years remaining on his contract. If he competes and eventually plays all four, the full bonus is deserved.

Joemailman
05-04-2019, 05:44 PM

I'm praying for him.

pbmax
05-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Why would they need to? Still has four years remaining on his contract. If he competes and eventually plays all four, the full bonus is deserved.

It was a joke meant to make fun of the contract truthers who had declared Madison persona non grata after leaving the team.

pbmax
05-05-2019, 09:18 AM

I've got my SAG card.

texaspackerbacker
05-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Ol' CJ may need to apply for some sort of exemption. I'm pretty sure Assembly of God people aren't allowed to do stuff like play pro football on Sunday.

mraynrand
05-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Ol' CJ may need to apply for some sort of exemption. I'm pretty sure Assembly of God people aren't allowed to do stuff like play pro football on Sunday.

The Seventh Day Adventist players are more problematic - they think existence will be gone so they don't properly prepare for the game.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2019, 06:20 PM

AoG aren't that rigid.

Fritz
05-06-2019, 08:38 AM
Honestly, if you had asked, I would have expected it. The worse news will be when he is withheld from practice for precautionary reasons.

Get ready for a lot of that.

pbmax
05-06-2019, 10:35 AM
The Seventh Day Adventist players are more problematic - they think existence will be gone so they don't properly prepare for the game.

Helps explain the continued high popularity of college football.

pbmax
05-06-2019, 04:06 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Two roster moves: #Giants WR Jawill Davis was claimed by the #Packers and #Bears OL Willie Beavers was claimed by the #49ers.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Cornerback Chandon Sullivan, who was recently released by the #Eagles, is signing with the #Packers today, per agents the Katz bros. He started one game for Philly last year and was a special teams contributor.

wthigoot
05-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Two roster moves: #Giants WR Jawill Davis was claimed by the #Packers and #Bears OL Willie Beavers was claimed by the #49ers.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Cornerback Chandon Sullivan, who was recently released by the #Eagles, is signing with the #Packers today, per agents the Katz bros. He started one game for Philly last year and was a special teams contributor.

Need a CB named Moet to go with this guy.:smile:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/5/6/18531210/packers-sign-former-eagles-cb-chandon-sullivan

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chandon-sullivan?id=32462018-0002-5598-05c5-379ac7578b42

"Sullivan's success in four years on the field and in the classroom at Georgia State earned him one of the prestigious finalist spots for the William V. Campbell Trophy, otherwise known as the academic Heisman Trophy."
If he has some insticts to go with the smarts, maybe he's got a chance.

pbmax
05-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Depth Chart at OTA

Safety: Savage and Amos (Jones holding out)
CB: Tramontana, Alexander, Jackson (nickel), King not participating in team drills
ILB: Martinez and Burks (same for nickel but unclear if that is 3-3 or 2-4 nickel)
OLB: Smith and Smith
DL: Lowry, Clark, Adams
OL: Bach, Taylor, Linsley, Turner, Bulaga
WR: Allison, MVS
RB: Jones, Vitale
QB: Rodgers

Packer Report @PackerReport
Not here on the field: D. Adams, Josh Jones, Greg Roberts and Marcedes Lewis.

Adams out for precautionary reasons. Daniels, like King, is present but not doing team drills.

Source: Larry McCarren and @PackerReport

pbmax
05-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Field Yates @FieldYates
Source: the Buccaneers, Bills, Packers, Steelers and Titans all placed a claim on former Jets TE Jordan Leggett. Tampa Bay landed Leggett because it had highest waiver wire order priority.

pbmax
05-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Tramontana on Darnell Savage via Michael Cohen of the Athletic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7HjKe4WwAAhnjI.jpg:large

mraynrand
05-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Guided Missiles have the most sophisticated software of all defensive weaponry.

Cheesehead Craig
05-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Guided Missiles have the most sophisticated software of all defensive weaponry.

I believe you

pbmax
05-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Smith said the relationship between he and Jerry Montgomery is key because of the interchangeability between OLB and D-line. Says they meet every morning. Called Montgomery "a damn good coach." Za'Darius Smith and Rashan Gary are working with D-line at times for drills. #Packers

Iron Mike
05-23-2019, 07:29 AM
Surprise music at Tuesday's OTA: Black Betty by Ram Jam....

pbmax
05-29-2019, 08:35 AM
OTA review so far with Silverstein: https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/05/29/packers-providing-hints-what-look-under-matt-lafleur/1247116001/

1. Josh Jackson at safety: Asked a direct question, DB coach Jason Simmons said essentially that we call everyone a DB in the room and given that we align in multiple ways under Pettine, anyone could be deep at the back of the defense. Either Spoon knows something we don't, or this is a weak case. Who know, maybe Jackson has spent a lot of time at safety.

2. Gute likes Jamal Crawford at ILB this year. So please put aside your worries. He will no longer be learning OLB.

3. La Fleur wants his QBs to have good footwork, be on time and accurate under duress. This would be a laughable list if not for the injuries and performance of the last 2 years. I hope his offensive design is imaginative or his O line might make his three goals for the QB impossible.

4. Slot receiver. Except for Jake Kumerow, everyone seems to be playing slot receiver. Which I suppose can make sense if the idea is to exploit matchups versus run quick breaking routes that open early. I still don't see Geronimo Allison have the short area quickness for the slot, but I guess we will see.

mraynrand
05-29-2019, 08:41 AM
3. La Fleur wants his QBs to have good footwork, be on time and accurate under duress. This would be a laughable list if not for the injuries and performance of the last 2 years. I hope his offensive design is imaginative or his O line might make his three goals for the QB impossible.

I see Flower power as being the Bear's offense with more deep shots. There's no reason the Packer O line can't block that up.

mraynrand
05-29-2019, 08:43 AM
Surprise music at Tuesday's OTA: Black Betty by Ram Jam....

racist

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fa7%2F7 e%2F7d%2Fa77e7d805350453712031fb8e4030e32.png&f=1

pbmax
05-29-2019, 02:55 PM
I'm in Dutch with the Greeks.

QBME
05-29-2019, 04:50 PM
racist

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fa7%2F7 e%2F7d%2Fa77e7d805350453712031fb8e4030e32.png&f=1

That McLean Stevenson was quite the thespian.

mraynrand
05-29-2019, 04:59 PM
“I’ve got command on my tail, and a hospital full of Greeks waiting for a lamb who’s sitting on a plane on his way to Iowa to become Radar’s little brother!”

mraynrand
05-29-2019, 05:08 PM
When starting right tackle Bryan Bulaga went out of team work Wednesday, Turner slid over and Jenkins entered at right guard. Meanwhile, Lucas Patrick took most of the snaps at center without Linsley.

pbmax
05-29-2019, 07:20 PM
“I’ve got command on my tail, and a hospital full of Greeks waiting for a lamb who’s sitting on a plane on his way to Iowa to become Radar’s little brother!”

What the hell is that?

Its Spam lamb!

Freak Out
05-29-2019, 11:49 PM
Only here would a football thread veer into a greek MASH bit. Bravo.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-30-2019, 03:13 AM
Gary looks awfully a lot like Nick Perry. Check out pics at Packersnews. I was like, didn’t they terminate Perry?

And no, playing Black Betty ain’t racist anymore, as 9 out of 10 black players nowadays, much to the disgust of Tony O’Day, Rut, Shadow, Skinbasket and Rand, among others, prefer “White” Betty. By 2024, the league will be full of entitled, arrogant half-breeds who think they’re so much better than everyone else, just cos they carry both the Negroid-Caucasoid genes.

Half-breeds are awesome. Just ask Aquaman. :)

pbmax
06-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Just saw photo of today’s OTA. Here to report Bryan Bulaga is still standing on his own two legs.

mraynrand
06-04-2019, 03:30 PM
Just saw photo of today’s OTA. Here to report Bryan Bulaga is still standing on his own two legs.

Yeah, but could he move? I'm betting they keep him out of Family Night for safety reasons.

mraynrand
06-04-2019, 03:34 PM

Those DonJoy Defiance III Custom Knee Braces can keep a paraplegic standing.

Radagast
06-05-2019, 04:59 AM
Shanny/McVay offense stacked receivers versus man coverage. Featuring bonus footage of Washington scoring a TD versus the Packers.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6264/how-los-angeles-rams-coach-sean-mcvay-uses-the-trips-2-man-stack-formation

Thank you for the great and most informative link. I will be on the lookout for these passing formations. I'm glad that I decided to review this thread. Love the drawn play/video, and hope to see more in the future.

Great post and Thanks.

pbmax
06-05-2019, 09:30 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/06/05/packers-morning-buzz-rookie-rashan-gary-get-redshirt-season/1330120001/

A draft writer pegs Rashan Gary as a poor first round pick, not due to talent or bust potential, but because of numbers. Accounting for the snaps available from Matthews and Perry with The Smiths acquisitions, leaves less playing time among Fackrell, Gilbert and Gary.

Except Fackrell was essentially a starter for long stretches last year and barring that noted fourth year jump, I am not certain he approaches those snap numbers this year.

And except for the likelihood that Dr. Zaius and Gary taking some inside pass rush snaps from Lowry and Clark this year. Dr. Zaius has rushed inside on obvious passing downs in this defense before. And Gary has already been practicing at that inside spot.

I would not be surprised on long 3rd downs to see Preston-Dr. Zaius-Gary-Fackrell/Gilbert out there on the LOS.

I think it only gets interesting if Mt. Adams or the Northwestern kid suddenly play well enough in pass rush situations to force their hand.

mraynrand
06-05-2019, 09:58 AM
Gary’s a young guy with a shoulder. The FA selections were an admission that the pass rush sucked and needed fixing. Gary is a pick for the future. It would be total gravy (not Jackson) if he forced their hand to increase his expected snaps this year.

Iron Mike
06-05-2019, 10:08 AM
If you look over Coach LaFleur's right shoulder, at the traffic going by on Oneida Street.....at about 2:30 a yellow school bus goes by. At about 2:34 a Packer player gives Iron Mike a fist bump. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAKzEB5jWQ0&t=180s

Iron Mike
06-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Surprise music at Tuesday's OTA: Kiss--Rock and Roll All Night. Only about 15 seconds worth, though. Practice was over. :(

pbmax
06-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Surprise music at Tuesday's OTA: Kiss--Rock and Roll All Night. Only about 15 seconds worth, though. Practice was over. :(

Should have played Beth at the end of practice.

pbmax
06-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Aaron Rodgers seam ball to Jimmy Graham for a huge gain. Preston Smith couldn’t stay with Graham down the middle. #Packers

Coaches mentioned Trevor Davis making some plays last week. Sure enough, he’s getting some reps with the 1s today and just made a great sideline grab on a pass from Rodgers. #Packers

mraynrand
06-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Aaron Rodgers seam ball to Jimmy Graham for a huge gain. Preston Smith couldn’t stay with Graham down the middle. #Packers

Coaches mentioned Trevor Davis making some plays last week. Sure enough, he’s getting some reps with the 1s today and just made a great sideline grab on a pass from Rodgers. #Packers

What are the odds these are season highlights?

run pMc
06-05-2019, 10:46 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/06/05/packers-morning-buzz-rookie-rashan-gary-get-redshirt-season/1330120001/

A draft writer pegs Rashan Gary as a poor first round pick, not due to talent or bust potential, but because of numbers. Accounting for the snaps available from Matthews and Perry with The Smiths acquisitions, leaves less playing time among Fackrell, Gilbert and Gary.

Except Fackrell was essentially a starter for long stretches last year and barring that noted fourth year jump, I am not certain he approaches those snap numbers this year.

And except for the likelihood that Dr. Zaius and Gary taking some inside pass rush snaps from Lowry and Clark this year. Dr. Zaius has rushed inside on obvious passing downs in this defense before. And Gary has already been practicing at that inside spot.

I would not be surprised on long 3rd downs to see Preston-Dr. Zaius-Gary-Fackrell/Gilbert out there on the LOS.

I think it only gets interesting if Mt. Adams or the Northwestern kid suddenly play well enough in pass rush situations to force their hand.

Agree. My uninformed guess is Fackrell is their #3, with Gary overtaking him by week 4. Also, the way they will use them (and are using in OTA's) indicates they all might be on the field at once. I don't know that any of them will top Clay's 71% last year; rotating them will keep them fresher, and possibly healthier.

It's a make or break year for Montravenous Adams; I think they like Lancaster as a run stopper, and Fadol or Keke will push them.

Re: the link, the writer lost me here:

Although Mike Pettine's 3-4 base system is constructed to deploy large, long defensive ends and smaller, quicker, more versatile rush linebackers on the edge
Is it Pettine's base? If it is, why are they swapping 6-3 OLBs Clay and Perry for 6-5 Fackrell & Gary and 6-6 P.Smith? (Z.Smith is 6-4)

I'm not worried about Gary from a playing-time concern. If he's healthy enough and good enough Pettine will put him on the field. (And if he's not, well lots of players play hurt or get snaps they shouldn't because of draft status.)

run pMc
06-05-2019, 10:47 AM

LOL I have little faith in Davis; he's in year 4 now? Not sure if I should be encouraged by Graham or worried about Smith... nice to hear Rodgers is throwing the seam.

Radagast
06-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Does LaFleur and his Staff pay for all of that Packer gear that they wear or is it furnished for free? Per their contracts are they required to wear Packer gear for all practices /games?
I like the yellow Polo shirts best of all.

MadScientist
06-05-2019, 04:52 PM
Does LaFleur and his Staff pay for all of that Packer gear that they wear or is it furnished for free? Per their contracts are they required to wear Packer gear for all practices /games?
I like the yellow Polo shirts best of all.

I think per NFL licensing they are required to wear Nike (or whoever owns the NFL clothing contract) gear, so they have to wear it. It's probably provided for them.

MadScientist
06-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Rodgers sounds like he is having fun again:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/05/aaron-rodgers-teases-matt-lafleur-fires-back-at-beer-chugging-nfl-qbs/

Rodgers then mocked the situation by reading off a pre-written script: “I want to say Matt LaFleur is a highly athletic former athlete who had an unfortunate accident in the gym but because of his exceptional diet and work ethic he’ll be back sooner rather than later.”

That's got to be the best news from training camp.

Joemailman
06-05-2019, 05:28 PM
LOL I have little faith in Davis; he's in year 4 now? Not sure if I should be encouraged by Graham or worried about Smith... nice to hear Rodgers is throwing the seam.

Davis is one of my darkhorses this year as a guy who might surprise. Easy to forget he was one of the top kickoff and punt returners in 2017. He never got much playing time on offense, but a new offensive system might give him a new lease on life. He might be that quick slot receiver Packers haven't had since Randall Cobb slowed down.

Joemailman
06-05-2019, 06:04 PM

I would hope that the NFL's top paid TE can beat a 270 lb. OLB down the seam.

Radagast
06-05-2019, 08:30 PM
At this point in time, fundamentals should be the order of the day. Learning the playbook, especially for the offense, is the primary off field concern. However, until they are ready to practice those plays, the fundamentals of blocking, tackling, and running simple pass routes seems the natural course of action.

Weight training, wind sprints, and good footwork/handwork help to build the foundations of a team. You can't say they don't earn their pay.

run pMc
06-06-2019, 07:15 AM
Davis is one of my darkhorses this year as a guy who might surprise. Easy to forget he was one of the top kickoff and punt returners in 2017. He never got much playing time on offense, but a new offensive system might give him a new lease on life. He might be that quick slot receiver Packers haven't had since Randall Cobb slowed down.

I wonder if this is just pumping up Davis to trade him...they tried that last year. If he's actually made some strides in his play, that would be very good news. He's a good athlete and should push J'Mon and Kumerow for a roster spot.

red
06-06-2019, 07:54 AM
I wonder if this is just pumping up Davis to trade him...they tried that last year. If he's actually made some strides in his play, that would be very good news. He's a good athlete and should push J'Mon and Kumerow for a roster spot.

a 5th round pick that has done next to nothing in 3 years has no trade value

ThunderDan
06-06-2019, 08:14 AM

A bag of footballs is a bag of footballs.

mraynrand
06-06-2019, 08:22 AM

7th round conditional at best. roll 'o tape may be more likely.

SudsMcBucky
06-06-2019, 09:08 AM
A bag of footballs is a bag of footballs.

This post is why a "like" button is a necessity.

pbmax
06-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Knees and hamstrings work better in shorts, as we all know by now.

APRISIAM (assuming players remain in shorts is a mistake)

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2019, 10:50 AM
I would think Davis would need to beat out Moore both as a returner - very possible - and as a receiver - not likely, as well as outperforming Kumerow to make the team. It's a good problem to have, and explains why the Packers didn't do what media, etc. expected - go for even more WRs.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-06-2019, 11:17 AM
I would think Davis would need to beat out Moore both as a returner - very possible - and as a receiver - not likely, as well as outperforming Kumerow to make the team. It's a good problem to have, and explains why the Packers didn't do what media, etc. expected - go for even more WRs.

Davis? Kum? Moore? Give me
3 weeks to get in shape, I’ll be able to shut down those wankers without breaking a sweat. Hell, throw in that sloth Allison and St. Paul as well.

The Packers have the worst receiving crop in the NFL. Even the Tennessee Titans have a better group (try to name a Titan WR of the top of your head). The receiving end of A-Rod’s wrath will be the reason the Packers won’t win the Super Bowl 54 - as I wrote previously, I refuse to use Roman numerals b/c of the Roman’s persecution of Spartacus and his ilk.

Shoulda drafted Metcalf. And Isabella.

red
06-06-2019, 04:54 PM
7th round conditional at best. roll 'o tape may be more likely.

thats what i'm thinking

a throw away pick

red
06-06-2019, 04:55 PM

has anyone heard anything about moore?

he was the highet drafted of the WRs last year, and by far the least exciting

mraynrand
06-06-2019, 06:20 PM
I would think Davis would need to beat out Moore both as a returner - very possible - and as a receiver - not likely.

What do you base the 'not likely' on? Moore was befuddled by the playbook last year. You have new info?

texaspackerbacker
06-06-2019, 07:50 PM
What do you base the 'not likely' on? Moore was befuddled by the playbook last year. You have new info?

You know this how? Because some damn media pukes say so? Even if true, that is a problem that good coaching should be able to overcome. He was not drafted where he was for no reason. That plus the fact that Davis has never set the world on fire as a receiver makes me say, "not likely".

run pMc
06-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Well I do think it's a 3 person race for what's likely to be the last WR spot. The off season fluff pieces were about how Moore rededicated himself blah blah blah. When Kumerow doesn't hurt himself diving into the endzone in preseason I'll take him more seriously. LOL
Davis needs to impress to stick -- he's had the most chances IMO. Zook liked him as a returner, but I think they have others who can return a punt. They tried to trade him last year, I don't know what would change unless MLF and Co. think they can get more out of him...but I have visions of him shortarming a deep throw from Rodgers and he's been hurt a lot.

Honestly the last WR is gonna need to play a lot of ST, and it's way too early to call. Nobody will know until TC. I do think Allison, MVS and St. Brown will show improvement APRH. If Adams is hurt it's a very unproven group, and that's a risk.
FWIW I'm skeptical a rookie like Metcalf (built like a tank and about as agile) would change that.

ThunderDan
06-07-2019, 06:54 AM
This post is why a "like" button is a necessity.

There is. There should be a star in the bottom left hand corner of every post. You can like or dislike there.

mraynrand
06-07-2019, 08:20 AM
You know this how? Because some damn media pukes say so? Even if true, that is a problem that good coaching should be able to overcome. He was not drafted where he was for no reason. That plus the fact that Davis has never set the world on fire as a receiver makes me say, "not likely".

So you based your views again on what comes out your anus. Got it.

P.S. Moore said it himself.

“I’ve always been honest with myself. I’m never the type to point fingers,” Moore said. “Me knowing what I can do and what type of player I’ve always been, if I’m not playing, it’s always my fault. It ain’t nobody else’s fault but mine. I don’t blame them for it.

“I wouldn’t put me out there if I’m messing up things, not really knowing my assignments, not doing the small things right. Because that’s the difference on this level. Small things. If you’re not doing the small things right, it doesn’t come together how it needs.”

It didn’t come together for Moore because, in a nutshell, he never caught up mentally to the pro game and how Aaron Rodgers quarterbacks an offense. As a result, he couldn’t be counted on to make the proper adjustments on the fly and be in the right spot at the right time.

In discussing the speed of the game as the biggest difference between the college and NFL level, the 6-foot-3, 205-pound Moore clarified it wasn’t about the physical speed but the mental speed. Everything from checks at the line to reading coverages and adjusting routes requires immediate processing, but Moore confessed he didn’t do that quickly and consistently enough to be reliable.

Maybe he'll improve. Adams seems to suggest he's growing this offseason. Keep hope alive!

pbmax
06-09-2019, 10:41 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2019/06/09/dougherty-packers-should-expect-more-after-defensive-overhaul/1369204001/

1. Makes a good point about #8 in sacks didn't mean the pass rush was anything to write home about
2. Doesn't make that case with anything other than, "ask anyone", so have hired out to Joe for pressure numbers
3. Pettine made a comment that suggested this defense needed large, explosive athletes but he did not need to tell Gutekunst that; he was there before the meeting
4. Suggests lack of Ints and higher opponent passer rating reflect mostly on lack of QB pressure, but in doing so ignores some problems on the backend
5. Does vaguely suggest that Amos and Savage should help
6. Lets an anonymous scout get away with inisisting that if the Packers defense isn't best in the Division, they they expect open internal revolt about why they didn't spend money on a playmaker for Rodgers
7. Makes a good summary that Dr. Zaius and Gary will see time pass rushing from the tackle spots in nickel and dime
8. Makes Joe's point that this defense has not relied on double digit sack production for QB pressures. Only Kruger and Mario Williams got past that number in this defense

Joemailman
06-10-2019, 12:18 AM
https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2019/06/09/dougherty-packers-should-expect-more-after-defensive-overhaul/1369204001/

1. Makes a good point about #8 in sacks didn't mean the pass rush was anything to write home about
2. Doesn't make that case with anything other than, "ask anyone", so have hired out to Joe for pressure numbers
3. Pettine made a comment that suggested this defense needed large, explosive athletes but he did not need to tell Gutekunst that; he was there before the meeting
4. Suggests lack of Ints and higher opponent passer rating reflect mostly on lack of QB pressure, but in doing so ignores some problems on the backend
5. Does vaguely suggest that Amos and Savage should help
6. Lets an anonymous scout get away with inisisting that if the Packers defense isn't best in the Division, they they expect open internal revolt about why they didn't spend money on a playmaker for Rodgers
7. Makes a good summary that Dr. Zaius and Gary will see time pass rushing from the tackle spots in nickel and dime
8. Makes Joe's point that this defense has not relied on double digit sack production for QB pressures. Only Kruger and Mario Williams got past that number in this defense

Hard to find pressure numbers. However, according to PFR, Packers were 10th in sacks in 2018, and 30th in QB hits. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/opp.htm#all_passing That would seem to agree with what most felt about their pass rush: If they weren't sacking the QB, they usually weren't affecting him.

pbmax
06-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Most beat guys have access to the NFL stats arm (GSIS I think) and I bet they have pressures. Or, as you did, they could list pressure numbers from a 3rd party. PFF probably has it too.

MadScientist
06-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Bears players get tested for substances of abuse, but clearly their front office doesn't:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/10/bears-believe-ha-ha-clinton-dix-was-a-better-player-than-adrian-amos/

pbmax
06-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Bears players get tested for substances of abuse, but clearly their front office doesn't:
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/10/bears-believe-ha-ha-clinton-dix-was-a-better-player-than-adrian-amos/

It could theoretically be true that Dix will be better. He was pretty good in his first two years and had a Pro Bowl year. But then doubt set in about his contract status.

So you never know where his head will be.

Frankly, its the more sane position, to me anyway. But its not the best place to be for your best football to be in front of you.

run pMc
06-10-2019, 06:32 PM
I think it's fair to say HHCD was the better prospect coming out of college. I don't think he's a bad player, but he's not played at an All Pro level.

If the Bears think HaHa is the better player, why did they only give him a 1 year deal?

pbmax
06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Mandatory Minicamp, sneaker edition.

Josh Jones is in attendance for mandatory minicamp but he’s not practicing. Standing on the sideline in sneakers. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod
Justin McCray and Lucas Patrick rotating at center with Linsley not taking part in team

MY PREDICTION OF PATRICK WINNING RG ISN'T OFF TO A HOT START

mraynrand
06-11-2019, 11:59 AM
^^^ Determining the backup center is probably taking precedent over picking the starting RG at this point.

Joemailman
06-11-2019, 12:17 PM
It would seem they feel Jenkins has a very legit chance of winning the LG starting spot if they're trying to figure out who the backup C will be.

LaFleur and Gutey have 12:35 PC. Wonder why Gutey.

Joemailman
06-11-2019, 12:48 PM
MLF said Josh Jones not practicing because he has a hamstring issue. Gotta love the way Jones has approached the off-season. :roll: He said Jones is definitely in their plans for this season. Likes the competition between the WR's and DB's. Linsley out today as a precaution due to some stiffness.

pbmax
06-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
Red-zone period features two Aaron Rodgers' touchdown passes to Jake Kumerow and one to Jimmy Graham. https://t.co/Lgnb9uw5rH

Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Even more buzz on MVS: Packers coach Matt LaFleur said "Marquez has really shown out" during the offseason program.

Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
#Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett echoes the praises of the head coach regarding Trevor Davis.

pbmax
06-11-2019, 02:08 PM
It would seem they feel Jenkins has a very legit chance of winning the LG starting spot if they're trying to figure out who the backup C will be.

LaFleur and Gutey have 12:35 PC. Wonder why Gutey.

Might not apply to OTAs, but Linsley was out today with "stiffness".

Cheesehead Craig
06-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Might not apply to OTAs, but Linsley was out today with "stiffness".

Sometimes that blue pill goes longer than 4 hours.

mraynrand
06-11-2019, 07:04 PM
Sometimes that blue pill goes longer than 4 hours.

I believe you

pbmax
06-12-2019, 07:59 AM
We are nearly there to the complete Favre turn. He's not throwing it early to a route combo he remembers from 1998, but he doesn't seem to agree that standing in the pocket to deliver the rock and get plastered is going to be a net positive over the course of a season. This is slightly contradictory to his coaches assertion that a throw he made while getting crushed in the pocket is the kind of toughness they need.

“In order to do that, you really have to give it a chance to develop. But, that being said, once you get into a live environment, I’m not just going to stand there in the face of a bearing-down defensive lineman and get rocked — especially in the preseason.

But old me appreciates finally understanding why QBs and teams always seem to have a falling out. Didn't understand it in Pittsburgh with Bradshaw, didn't understand it with the Dolphins and Marino. Now after Favre and Rodgers, I finally get it.

Rodgers might disagree here, but he is giving the offense and its progressions a chance in camp. Extended offense is not making an appearance yet.

Rodgers has gone out of his way during offseason practices to stay in the pocket and throw the ball within the rhythm and timing of the way the play is designed.

“I think it comes down to instincts. I think that’s the more important thing when you get out there and play,” Rodgers explained. “But I think you can retrain some of those instincts as well. And with a new offense, I’m really trying to trust the progressions and my eyes and learn timing on different things.

snip

“I think the most important thing for me is to train my eyes so I know exactly where guys are going to be and when the progressions open up. And once I have that down — I feel like I’ve got it down pretty well — then I can just go out and play.”

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/aaron-rodgers-approach-within-packers-new-offense-over-over-over/article_570b7482-be70-5f9c-96dc-11902c148fb3.html

pbmax
06-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Drew Rosenhaus is Josh Jones agent. I wonder if that changed the moment someone planted the idea of changing teams in his head.

EDIT: Same order of events, but swap out position problem for team problem.

he bristled at the suggestion he would become even more of a linebacker this season.

“I’m not a linebacker,” he said. “Y’all can get that out of your head. You can stop writing about that. That’s not going to happen.”

So what is he?

“I’m a fantastic player that can do a lot of things that can help a defense,” Jones said. “But, obviously, that comes down to a number of things. But I’m confident in my abilities and what I can do despite what any of you guys may say or what anybody may say. I stand 10 toes on what the good Lord blessed me with.”

Apparently, that doesn’t include a steady diet of linebacker.

“Listen, I’m here,” Jones said. “However the coaches perceive you, however the personnel (department) perceive(s) you, they drafted you so that’s what you’ve got to live with for the time being.”

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/tom-oates-safety-josh-jones-reports-to-minicamp-but-didn/article_b3e2c472-8111-5bb0-a4bc-b8da52405ef5.html

Patler
06-12-2019, 09:36 AM
I've read several articles with some of the same but each with different additional quotes from Josh Jones. He comes across to me as a guy who really wants to blast the team and demand a trade, but either knows better himself or is following advice to tone it down.

texaspackerbacker
06-12-2019, 10:18 AM
It seems like a lot of people think and are telling him he's better suited to be a linebacker, but he just hates the idea. I suspect he gets a lot of playing time at Safety in the preseason - with one of three results: either he proves to the coaches he can be a decent Safety or it becomes obvious even to Jones himself that he can't be a Safety, and hence, puts his heart in playing like a LB or he gets showcased enough that he can be traded for more than some crap low round pick. Or #4, he just makes it obvious that he should get cut.

pbmax
06-12-2019, 10:36 AM
It seems like a lot of people think and are telling him he's better suited to be a linebacker, but he just hates the idea. I suspect he gets a lot of playing time at Safety in the preseason - with one of three results: either he proves to the coaches he can be a decent Safety or it becomes obvious even to Jones himself that he can't be a Safety, and hence, puts his heart in playing like a LB or he gets showcased enough that he can be traded for more than some crap low round pick. Or #4, he just makes it obvious that he should get cut.

Things could change, but I think part of the problem here is that the coaches already know the answer and its "more linebacker". Hence, the standoff.

pbmax
06-12-2019, 10:37 AM
https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1138813802261164035

Good old fashioned 4-3 run D. With AJ Hawk at Will, scraping with Kampman to fill gaps and extend the play outside for Al Harris to clean up.

pbmax
06-12-2019, 10:39 AM
#Packers swing tackle Jason Spriggs is not at practice today. Hurt his left elbow in 11s yesterday but returned to finish the session.

Some things are just not meant to be.

gbgary
06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

i bet he's gone by then. he won't be happy unless he's starting.

pbmax
06-12-2019, 12:46 PM
An early trend for the Matt LaFleur offense is how involved RBs seem to be in the passing game. #Packers using tailbacks all over the formation and dedicating drills to fundamentals of receiving. Could be a way to get more touches for Aaron Jones.

After I say that, #Packers run a beautiful play that splits Aaron Jones out wide to draw the safety and sends Davante Adams into the space behind him for a deep touchdown. Excellent throw from Rodgers.

Best news I have seen about the offense so far.

MadScientist
06-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Not sure if it was the plan or just the way it’s worked out, but Rodgers has targeted Burks again and again.

That 1) doesn't sound good for Burks and 2) is concerning because it sounds like Rodgers is going against an easy target which won't be their against other teams.

pbmax
06-12-2019, 05:20 PM
This guy doesn't seem long for the roster:

With no refs to signal, we think both kickers were 4-5 on FGs. Couple iffy snaps from Bradley, too.

J Jones, T Carson, J Hamilton, G Roberts, M Daniels, J Springs and M Lewis not practicing. Spriggs in a collision late yesterday.

mraynrand
06-12-2019, 05:23 PM
#Packers swing tackle Jason Spriggs is not at practice today. Hurt his left elbow in 11s yesterday but returned to finish the session.

Some things are just not meant to be.

TRADE HIM TO HOUSTON

pbmax
06-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Might have posted this one a day or two ago:

#Packers make a couple changes to their personnel department: Richmond Williams is promoted from pro scout to director of pro personnel, and Brett Thiesen was elevated to full-time college scout after coming through the internship program.

Joemailman
06-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Not sure if it was the plan or just the way it’s worked out, but Rodgers has targeted Burks again and again.

That 1) doesn't sound good for Burks and 2) is concerning because it sounds like Rodgers is going against an easy target which won't be their against other teams.

The good news is that it sounds like Rodgers is executing the offense as he should rather than holding onto the ball for 8 seconds. As for Burks, I suppose it depends on who he's getting beat by. Adams, not so bad. Pharoah, not so good

Anti-Polar Bear
06-13-2019, 10:35 AM
How ‘bout moving Josh Jones to RB and King to WR?

Both ran 4.4 40s. Both aren’t anything special on D. Exploit their speed on O!

pbmax
06-14-2019, 07:30 AM
How ‘bout moving Josh Jones to RB and King to WR?

Both ran 4.4 40s. Both aren’t anything special on D. Exploit their speed on O!

Jones I understand. King has been very good as a CB. When he has been out there.

run pMc
06-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Agree -- King will be a keeper at CB if he can find a way to stay healthy.
Jones I think is best as a 3rd/box safety or moneybacker type. I'm skeptical he has the instincts to play RB, and that's a heck of a transition to make on the pro level. Could you see Jones being able to pick up pass pro correctly?

I thnk Jones gets dealt just before training camp opens for a low round pick, and the JSO beat writers have a field day with how it was a wasted pick just like _____.

Radagast
06-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Should a Safety position become a real issue, who would you like GB to go and get?

mraynrand
06-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Should a Safety position become a real issue, who would you like GB to go and get?

I like that Amos guy from Chicago in free agency. And Savage from the college ranks looks good. Internally, the Packers look to be high on Greene.

Joemailman
06-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Packers have released RB Kapri Bibbs.

pbmax
06-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Packers have released RB Kapri Bibbs.

I wore a pair of Kapri Bibbs way back in the day.

red
06-15-2019, 05:42 PM
I wore a pair of Kapri Bibbs way back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwge9wc-eI&app=desktop

Teamcheez1
06-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote" Martinez says Burks has been one of the most improved players on the entire defense during OTAs and minicamp, which should carry on through training camp."

MadScientist
06-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Quote" Martinez says Burks has been one of the most improved players on the entire defense during OTAs and minicamp, which should carry on through training camp."

I can only hope it's similar to spring training in baseball where a player is working on certain things and the results are not always indicative as to what is going on. Either that, or some things just can't show without pads on.

Joemailman
06-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Packers claim TE Michael Roberts off waivers from Lions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26995813/packers-claim-te-roberts-waivers-lions

Roberts was waived last week after a trade that would have sent him to the New England Patriots was rescinded because conditions weren't met.

Roberts didn't pass his physical with the Patriots, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Roberts has played in 23 regular-season games over the past two years, totaling 13 catches for 146 yards and three touchdowns.

Freak Out
06-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Nice grab on the TE.

Joemailman
06-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Roberts will be real competition for Marcedes Lewis. This offense needs a run-blocking TE, and I suspect that 1 of Lewis and Roberts will make the roster. But not both.

Radagast
06-18-2019, 07:43 AM
I applaud bringing in players that will push the others to work harder. Perhaps a few Safeties will become available for the same purpose.

pbmax
06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
With two blocking TEs, Packers have a real chance to score some Ed West/Bubba Franks TDs. Some TE on the Packers will be in great fantasy demand.

run pMc
06-18-2019, 03:51 PM
With two blocking TEs, Packers have a real chance to score some Ed West/Bubba Franks TDs. Some TE on the Packers will be in great fantasy demand.

LOL yeah I could see Lewis getting 2 goal line TDs in a game, getting picked up off the fantasy waiver wire in every league, and dropped 3 weeks later when he doesn't get another catch.

Radagast
06-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Beyond the full medical examinations that take place, and the weight room workouts, and the team/position meetings, and the team calisthenics, what goes on at OTAs.

2019 team playbooks (1st edition) are distributed.

Basic QB/Receiver drills take place.

Offensive and Defensive Linemen work with blocking sleds and tackling dummies.

Kickers practice punts/kicks as return specialist practice catching kicked balls.

The point is that OTAs work on fundamental football skills and begin the teams process toward learning the Offensive and Defensive plays that will be applied in the upcoming season. Between now and TC, players/coaches will be expected to learn their playbooks. Some veterans will fair better than others, especially on the offense, while some veterans/rookies will struggle learning the new offensive system.

In addition, players are added/dropped as well. So OTAs, IMO, serve to get the team primed for the upcoming Training Camp.

While some of the players don't attend this team activity, I must assume that they have their new playbooks and are studying them. The real test will begin when TC begins.

Joemailman
06-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Packers claim TE Michael Roberts off waivers from Lions.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26995813/packers-claim-te-roberts-waivers-lions

Roberts waived after failing his physical with Packers. He had shoulder surgery last year, and apparently it's still an issue. Or perhaps I should just say "He has a shoulder".

Fritz
06-20-2019, 08:55 AM

At which point, we will all be frothing at the mouth about what a great linebacking crew the Packers will have this year. Then, in the second game, Kirk Cousins will go after him, hard, and we'll see if the kid can play.

pbmax
06-23-2019, 08:25 AM
On Michael Cohen's podcast about mini-camp, Kirk Olivadotti gave the dreaded "knows how to get us lined up" praise to Blake Martinez. I nearly drove off the road.

I think it was just boilerplate as KO was facing the media and getting questions about his players for the first time I believe, but those words are not comforting. They should be stricken from the coach-speak bible unless you are announcing a trade, waiver or demotion.

For those of you missing the wack-doodle, over enthusiastic musings of Kevin Green, you will be very happy to hear Michael Smith interviewed.

https://soundcloud.com/user-120486194/meet-the-assistant-coaches

Joemailman
06-23-2019, 09:53 AM
On Michael Cohen's podcast about mini-camp, Kirk Olivadotti gave the dreaded "knows how to get us lined up" praise to Blake Martinez. I nearly drove off the road.

I think it was just boilerplate as KO was facing the media and getting questions about his players for the first time I believe, but those words are not comforting. They should be stricken from the coach-speak bible unless you are announcing a trade, waiver or demotion.

For those of you missing the wack-doodle, over enthusiastic musings of Kevin Green, you will be very happy to hear Michael Smith interviewed.

https://soundcloud.com/user-120486194/meet-the-assistant-coaches

One thing Cohen mentioned is that Marcedes Lewis looks a little heavy to him. Since that observation the Packers have brought in big TE's Pharoah McKever and Michael Roberts (since waived). I wonder if the Packers are having doubts about Lewis.