PDA

View Full Version : Here is the blockbuster 'Can Of Worms ' Story on Green Bay Packer dysfunction.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 10:12 AM
What happened in Green Bay by: Tyler Dunne B/R

Please copy and paste the following LINK IN Google to read this amazing story. It will possibly alarm you packerrats.

https://bleacherreport.com/article/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Note: the complete URL AFTER THE 2 ADD:

828649-what-happene

Ok red to the rescue....thanks.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2019, 10:27 AM
More stupid shit from the God damned media.

red
04-05-2019, 10:27 AM
heres a link that works

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Woodbuck in midseason form

red
04-05-2019, 10:36 AM
oouch

"Mike has a low football IQ, and that used to always bother Aaron," this source says. "He'd say Mike has one of the lowest IQs, if not the lowest IQ, of any coach he's ever had."

a-rod does come off as a bit of a dick, but that quote is something i have been saying for a long time

i've always thought we won not because of mccarthy, but in spite of him

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 10:37 AM
heres a link that works

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay
Thanks red...I am working with an Android Samsung I Pad and manually wrote the URL for this article. The Packerrats software removes part of that URL.

red
04-05-2019, 10:38 AM
wtf?

Some cite former general manager Ted Thompson literally falling asleep in meetings by the end of his tenure.

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 10:40 AM
I am working with an Android Samsung I Pad and manually wrote the URL for this article.

God love ya, Woodbuck.

red
04-05-2019, 10:41 AM
More stupid shit from the God damned media.

awwww

is someones diaper full? needs us to call a nurse?

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Fuck the media idiots that spew all this shit as well as it shitheads that post it.

red
04-05-2019, 10:46 AM

The personnel man says the Packers' passing offense was essentially "Get open" and that they basically ran the same routes for seven years straight, to the point where division rivals "constantly" called out plays pre-snap and jumped routes.

No wonder the slant route, once so lethal, went extinct.

Where were the route combinations? The motion? The misdirection? "It's like, 'Dude, you have to adjust! The league changes!'" the personnel man says. "You've got to be humble enough to follow it. If you can't adapt, you die. He definitely didn't adapt. You can't run 90 back-shoulders into coverage. I don't care who you are. Things got so stale."

That disconnect led to tension. A system that once seemed so unstoppable was rendered bland, archaic. Games devolved into weird contests of who could call the better play, and the grudge-fueled Rodgers felt more and more empowered to excel in spite of McCarthy, the man who dared to think Alex Smith was better than him.

red
04-05-2019, 10:48 AM
jesus

wtf things were way worse then we thought

McCarthy, on the other hand, seemed to be more and more checked out, leading many to sympathize with Rodgers.

The sight was strange at first.

About once a week, a meeting would start up and McCarthy was MIA. Players weren't quite sure where he was while, for example, an assistant coach would run the team's final prep on the Saturday before a game. Eventually, word leaked that McCarthy, the one calling plays on game day, was up in his office getting a massage during those meetings.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2019, 10:50 AM
Media assholes spew the shit and imbeciles in here lap it up - sheeeeesh.

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 10:53 AM
awwww

is someones diaper full? needs us to call a nurse?

Get Jennings' sister!

red
04-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Get Jennings' sister!

speaking of jennings and why his attitude changed

It was 2012, and the Packers were hosting the 49ers when, mid-timeout, cornerback Carlos Rogers playfully asked Jennings why he was running so many short routes.

"You know how it is," Jennings told him. "Contract year."

That's when Rodgers stepped in to say, per Jennings, "You guys should get him at the end of the year."

Come again?

Jennings walked back to the huddle speechless.

The next day, Jennings told his position coach, Edgar Bennett, he knew this was his last year in Green Bay. "That was my headspace," he admits

they played the 49ers week 1

red
04-05-2019, 10:58 AM

THEN GO THE FUCK SOMEWHERE ELSE

not a single person here will miss your bullshit

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 10:59 AM
You should believe everything Jennings says.

Actually, only believe the stuff that confirms your bias.

Carry on.

red
04-05-2019, 11:02 AM
You should believe everything Jennings says.

Actually, only believe the stuff that confirms your bias.

Carry on.

or completely ignore things that don't hold up your bias

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 11:09 AM

Some of us have seen this crap for at least the post Super Bowl win mini era. Others here have been in denial...it's OK if you choose the denial side. This is a Forum and thus we debate stuff.

There is no need though to insult one another. We are all Packer fans right?!

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 11:22 AM
or completely ignore things that don't hold up your bias

You're barking up the wrong tree. I advise caution regarding how much of this you take at face value. Some rings true, some seems like BS. And the sources are older, limited, have axes to grind, and/or are anonymous, which is a recipe for bias and slander.

run pMc
04-05-2019, 11:26 AM
Well the Internet makes it easier than ever to air dirty laundry, and that seems to be the zeitgeist. Blame the media, blame the sources, blame the network routers, blame the readers...whatever. It's out there, and there are Vikings/Bears fans dancing with schadenfreude.
It's an interesting read from the standpoint that it confirms a lot of the things seen from the outside by us 'Rats. It's alarming in how bad some things actually were...TT is such bad health and falling asleep is beyond disturbing. He shouldn't be working, let alone being a GM. the whole M3-Rodgers dynamic had gone well beyond the point of being toxic and dysfunctional, so I'm glad a change was made. I wasn't overly optimistic about LaFluer before and that hasn't changed after this piece.

As for Finley, Jennings, Grant and those who went on record...meh. It's good to get perspectives I guess. I'm guessing Jennings was seen as one of Favre's guys first so Rodgers probably didn't warm to him, and Finley is Finley. He's outspoken and opinionated, and he's not always right. We knew that already.

The story doesn't cast anyone in a good light really, and feels a little sensational for my tastes. Hotstove league, and all that.

Isn't Dumbface Murphy supposed to keep people in line?

red
04-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Well the Internet makes it easier than ever to air dirty laundry, and that seems to be the zeitgeist. Blame the media, blame the sources, blame the network routers, blame the readers...whatever. It's out there, and there are Vikings/Bears fans dancing with schadenfreude.
It's an interesting read from the standpoint that it confirms a lot of the things seen from the outside by us 'Rats. It's alarming in how bad some things actually were...TT is such bad health and falling asleep is beyond disturbing. He shouldn't be working, let alone being a GM. the whole M3-Rodgers dynamic had gone well beyond the point of being toxic and dysfunctional, so I'm glad a change was made. I wasn't overly optimistic about LaFluer before and that hasn't changed after this piece.

As for Finley, Jennings, Grant and those who went on record...meh. It's good to get perspectives I guess. I'm guessing Jennings was seen as one of Favre's guys first so Rodgers probably didn't warm to him, and Finley is Finley. He's outspoken and opinionated, and he's not always right. We knew that already.

The story doesn't cast anyone in a good light really, and feels a little sensational for my tastes. Hotstove league, and all that.

Isn't Dumbface Murphy supposed to keep people in line?

the article, if true, really makes murphy look bad. all that shit was happening under his watch

gotta imagine his seat just got very warm

red
04-05-2019, 12:34 PM
You're barking up the wrong tree. I advise caution regarding how much of this you take at face value. Some rings true, some seems like BS. And the sources are older, limited, have axes to grind, and/or are anonymous, which is a recipe for bias and slander.

and because these are players who no longer play for the packers, you automatically think they have some vendetta, and are the bad guys

mraynrand
04-05-2019, 12:52 PM
and because these are players who no longer play for the packers, you automatically think they have some vendetta, and are the bad guys

Maybe. Not necessarily. But I'd advise caution. Jennings has a history

My point is that what would be far more convincing is if a guy like Bacteria sat down and gave a measured view of the problems on the team, without being nasty. "Sure, Rodgers audibled off some Stubby calls. I guess that's what happens when a QB spends this many years in a system. You see things on the field that you think the Coach doesn't" or "Stubby was getting more distant in the past two years. He seemed more likely to be in the office than on the field tweaking plays. He seemed more defensive about his game plan, etc. etc. And he knows like everyone in football that if it comes to a power struggle between a HOF QB with the biggest contract in football and a coach, the QB is usually going to come out on top). Rodgers knows this too, so he has more freedom. That affects team dynamics."

Anyway, there's some stuff in there that rings true. I just don't buy all of it. But I want to know more about the masseuses.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 01:27 PM
wtf?

I do not know if I'm correct but it sure appears to me that Ted Thompson has been suffering and suffers Dementia.

I hope I'm wrong.

He had a ten year playing career as a LBer and on ST'S with the Houston Oilers.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2019, 01:45 PM
The enemy here - as in everything else - is the God damned media trying to stir up trouble. As Woodbuck said, we are all Packer fans in here. The same cannot be said for the media assholes writing a bunch of worthless crap.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 01:48 PM
the article, if true, really makes murphy look bad. all that shit was happening under his watch

gotta imagine his seat just got very warm

Having MM reporting directly to him last season or out of the loop was in my n observation Nd analysis a near indictment of Mike McCarthy. MM was done in Green Bay.

Mark Murphy should have simply sent him packing after the 2017 Season. The way Mike McCarthy was acting after the 2017 season it sure looked obvious he was in panic mode. Why hang onto that for another year?

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 01:55 PM
The enemy here - as in everything else - is the God damned media trying to stir up trouble. As Woodbuck said, we are all Packer fans in here. The same cannot be said for the media assholes writing a bunch of worthless crap.

If the author isn't creditable and this article not accurate then there will be Law Suits, or I would imagine so.

texaspackerbacker
04-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Who gives a shit about credible. It's irrelevant crap - or should be - for Packer fans.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-05-2019, 02:03 PM
God love ya, Woodbuck.

Take it to FYI.

If Woody's funny comment about his "android Samsung iPad" was posted in FYI, it would go something like this:

Tex: Fuck Samsung. Anything that comes out of China is shit.

Partial: Yo Tex, want something awesome and totally American? Get an Apple.

31: Yo Partial, you realize that 99.9% of the shit Apple makes come out of China, right?

Wist: Apple and Samsung are colluding, and therefore conspiring, to monopolize the smart phone/tablet market.

Rand: If Ayn Rand were alive today, she'd get a sex change.

Tank Elf Duke: Wanna know what's an abomination? Cap---

Madtown: Shut the fuck up, Tank.

Fosco33
04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
It is relevant. Perception is reality. NFL is entertainment business and perceptions drive literally everything.

Murphy is still there. Aaron is still the QB. Young WRs are still there.

Hope LaFleur knows how to build and adapt a TEAM. That includes motivation, dealing with drama and issues, etc.
I sincerely hope but don’t expect Arod to be a ‘great’ leader. It’s readily apparent he’s a great QB but not interested in more than that.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-05-2019, 02:27 PM
As for the Dunne story, the fact that Rodgers doesn't trust MVS, St. Paul (not a typo) and the 4th rounder (forgot name) makes the pessimist in me optimistic about DK Metcalf and Ridley Riley donning the Green and Gold next season.

Btw, Remember when I said that orangutans were smarter than Mike McCarthy (and Tony O'Day)? Or that McCarthy's resume without Favre and Rodgers includes killing Alex Smith's confidence, turning Aaron Brooks into a turnover machine and making Hundley a carbon copy of Kizer? Or that, while mental illness ain't a joke, Todd was the mother of incompetence?

Uncool Pack fans made fun of me. Called me a burger-flipping loser. This story ameliorates moi arguments.

bobblehead
04-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Take it to FYI.

If Woody's funny comment about his "android Samsung iPad" was posted in FYI, it would go something like this:

31: Yo Partial, you realize that 99.9% of the shit Apple makes come out of China, right?

Wist: Apple and Samsung are colluding, and therefore conspiring, to monopolize the smart phone/tablet market.

You forgot, Bobblehead; You know Apple has been stealing tech that they are contractually obligated to pay for from Qualcomm and its jeopardizing the future of US dominance.

Partial: Thats not true Bobble: link confirming everything he said Partial: Thats not true.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-05-2019, 03:02 PM
You forgot, Bobblehead; You know Apple has been stealing tech that they are contractually obligated to pay for from Qualcomm and its jeopardizing the future of US dominance.

Partial: Thats not true Bobble: link confirming everything he said Partial: Thats not true.

Word. I'll read the 100 pages or so stuff about Apple in FYI when time permits.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 03:19 PM

I support the Montreal Canadiens of the NHL and pay a lot of attention to TSN (The Sports Network) AM Radio 690. Monday through Friday the HABs are sliced and diced dissected. Fans observe every measure of analysis in ever
Sense.

We know the players, coachs and managemt and RULES and the officieating etc.

We certainly see it when something is wrong,

Joemailman
04-05-2019, 05:38 PM
It was 2012, and the Packers were hosting the 49ers when, mid-timeout, cornerback Carlos Rogers playfully asked Jennings why he was running so many short routes.

"You know how it is," Jennings told him. "Contract year."

That's when Rodgers stepped in to say, per Jennings, "You guys should get him at the end of the year."

Come again?

Jennings walked back to the huddle speechless.

The next day, Jennings told his position coach, Edgar Bennett, he knew this was his last year in Green Bay. "That was my headspace," he admits

This sounds to me like Rodgers joking around. He used to do that in the good ol' days.

pbmax
04-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Fuck the media idiots that spew all this shit as well as it shitheads that post it.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/35/82/bd35823f0603dcbfa202852e47de431f.jpg

pbmax
04-05-2019, 06:36 PM
speaking of jennings and why his attitude changed

they played the 49ers week 1

This quote is telling about Jennings as well.

Less than 3 quarters into the season and he is convinced the coaches are sending him on short routes to keep his contract numbers down. Its no wonder it got into his head.

pbmax
04-05-2019, 06:48 PM

My point is that what would be far more convincing is if a guy like Bacteria sat down and gave a measured view of the problems on the team, without being nasty. "Sure, Rodgers audibled off some Stubby calls. I guess that's what happens when a QB spends this many years in a system. You see things on the field that you think the Coach doesn't" or "Stubby was getting more distant in the past two years. He seemed more likely to be in the office than on the field tweaking plays. He seemed more defensive about his game plan, etc. etc. And he knows like everyone in football that if it comes to a power struggle between a HOF QB with the biggest contract in football and a coach, the QB is usually going to come out on top). Rodgers knows this too, so he has more freedom. That affects team dynamics."

Anyway, there's some stuff in there that rings true. I just don't buy all of it. But I want to know more about the masseuses.

The most recent folks to speak up were Jones who was disbelieving and Kuhn who was incredulous about the report.

NFL Total Access @NFLTotalAccess
"When I read this article it makes me sick..."
Former #Packers WR @89JonesNTAF responds to the news coming out of Green Bay
Video: https://twitter.com/NFLTotalAccess/status/1113945614616674304

John Kuhn @kuhnj30
Never knew my coach to get a massage instead of attending meetings and my QB never threw me under the bus. #justsaying

pbmax
04-05-2019, 06:50 PM
This sounds to me like Rodgers joking around. He used to do that in the good ol' days.

I agree.

pbmax
04-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Take it to FYI.

In this scenario, to whom do I direct my comment that Samsung is a South Korean company?

Harlan Huckleby
04-05-2019, 07:45 PM
too much roughhousing in this thread

pbmax
04-05-2019, 08:15 PM
too much roughhousing in this thread

Why don't you kids go outside and play for awhile?

Bretsky
04-05-2019, 08:17 PM
I think my rant belongs here

Let's call a spade a spade. Sometimes the truth is painful to acknowledge. I am a huge fan of AROD as a player.

But read in between the lines and listen tot e Packer Beat guys who cover the team on and off the record. Here are some captain obvious viewpoints

Rodgers is smug. He's very intelligent but perhaps to a fault. And he's kind of an asshole as teammate to many. He's roll his eyes, call out players, and dress them down occasionally in practices. He's a know it all who a few teammates embrace but many do not. Brett Favre was embraced by all his teammates untl he really got old and was a generation ahead of the entire team. Rodgers is not there. Watch the mannerisms after each of them throw TD's. Rodgers is far better than Favre, but he's no Favre as a leader. It got to some point where Rodgers no longer respected McCarthy as a coach, changed plays at will, and avoided throwing many many slants when they were wide open. I hope Rodgers embraces Matty; but I want to see how this turns out several months, or a couple years in....I want to know if Rodgers thinks he's too dam smart to respect a coach....he was a real shithead to Mike McCarthy.

And on to Mike McCarthy. I don't know when it was; but he lost the players and the longer it went on the more bad conduct was overlooked....neglected....and not handled remotely appropriate. As a disciplinarian MM said the right things to the press, but was a fruitcake the past couple years of his rein. I also think Mike McCarthy is a high class person. Unlike AROD, he's a good human being. He discussed how he was let go, and pondered how painful it was for him to deal with player shortcomings. He was no longer successful as a head coach. But how he was let go seemed pretty heartless

On to my frickin Fave....MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA....you deserve the blame for a lot of recent failings on the Green Bay Packers. You were overseeing this ship as the talent dried up badly.
And you let it keep happening. if TT was occasionally dozing off, mentally becoming unhealthy, shame on you for not reacting right away. You take much blame for this all from talent. And when you fire a coach who won a Super Bowl for the Green Bay Packers, have at least a bit of a heart. Pulling him out right after the presser, showing no emotion or thankfulness for MM leading us to a SB. Cold and Nasty Marcia. I lack faith in you ability as a leader.

We're lookin like a Fart in the Wind and all three of these guys, along with TT, have plenty of blame

Bretsky
04-05-2019, 08:18 PM
I hope Matty and AROD can connect; Down with Marcia !!

wist43
04-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Predictable...

PackerRats gossiping about feelings and emotions, while wearing pink panties, of course.

No hint of testosterone or football talk in sight :bang:

Carry on girls... I'm going over to a football chat site. Will check back tomorrow to see if any men have returned.

George Cumby
04-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Predictable...

PackerRats gossiping about feelings and emotions, while wearing pink panties, of course.

No hint of testosterone or football talk in sight :bang:

Carry on girls... I'm going over to a football chat site. Will check back tomorrow to see if any men have returned.

Lol.

Ok Alpha Male.

Fuck off you fucking hypocrite. You have more sand in your vag then any one else on this board you whining pussy.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 10:15 PM

Let's call a spade a spade. Sometimes the truth is painful to acknowledge. I am a huge fan of AROD as a player.

But read in between the lines and listen tot e Packer Beat guys who cover the team on and off the record. Here are some captain obvious viewpoints

Rodgers is smug. He's very intelligent but perhaps to a fault. And he's kind of an asshole as teammate to many. He's roll his eyes, call out players, and dress them down occasionally in practices. He's a know it all who a few teammates embrace but many do not. Brett Favre was embraced by all his teammates untl he really got old and was a generation ahead of the entire team. Rodgers is not there. Watch the mannerisms after each of them throw TD's. Rodgers is far better than Favre, but he's no Favre as a leader. It got to some point where Rodgers no longer respected McCarthy as a coach, changed plays at will, and avoided throwing many many slants when they were wide open. I hope Rodgers embraces Matty; but I want to see how this turns out several months, or a couple years in....I want to know if Rodgers thinks he's too dam smart to respect a coach....he was a real shithead to Mike McCarthy.

And on to Mike McCarthy. I don't know when it was; but he lost the players and the longer it went on the more bad conduct was overlooked....neglected....and not handled remotely appropriate. As a disciplinarian MM said the right things to the press, but was a fruitcake the past couple years of his rein. I also think Mike McCarthy is a high class person. Unlike AROD, he's a good human being. He discussed how he was let go, and pondered how painful it was for him to deal with player shortcomings. He was no longer successful as a head coach. But how he was let go seemed pretty heartless

On to my frickin Fave....MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA....you deserve the blame for a lot of recent failings on the Green Bay Packers. You were overseeing this ship as the talent dried up badly.
And you let it keep happening. if TT was occasionally dozing off, mentally becoming unhealthy, shame on you for not reacting right away. You take much blame for this all from talent. And when you fire a coach who won a Super Bowl for the Green Bay Packers, have at least a bit of a heart. Pulling him out right after the presser, showing no emotion or thankfulness for MM leading us to a SB. Cold and Nasty Marcia. I lack faith in you ability as a leader.

We're lookin like a Fart in the Wind and all three of these guys, along with TT, have plenty of blame
You as usual have it close to perfect. If you go to ** the other thread you see me post a member tonight as to exactly what I feel now and this pissing contest between a Teams Head Coach and it's QB.

** The official nice things to say about Mike McCarthy thread. Post NO.134

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 10:18 PM
I hope Matty and AROD can connect; Down with Marcia !!

Yup.

THE EXALTED Packers Board Head should be axed soon. I predict he will be.

woodbuck27
04-05-2019, 10:30 PM
Lol.

Ok Alpha Male.

Fuck off you fucking hypocrite. You have more sand in your vag then any one else on this board you whining pussy.

Yup

I do not get his reaction at all.

Today we learned details on why we as Packer fans have been frustrated and as Packer fans this should be an issue of some serious thought and how as a Packer fan you really feel.

Deputy Nutz
04-06-2019, 09:49 AM

A few valuable squeezes of shit I got out of the article is how the young receivers are going to struggle when their is a power vacuum between QB and offensive play caller. It's hard to rely on young guys when their heads are swimming to begin with, then are asked to remember what to do when the play is called and then changed in the huddle by the QB or at the line of scrimmage. Then factor in to the accountability to both the QB and the head coach. That is a tough spot to be put in. I am not even going into the changes in the blocking assignments for the line and the backs.

mraynrand
04-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Yeah, the part about WR confusion came across as totally believable.

As far as Wistian significance of this article, that's at the center of it - how will Rodgers be going forward? Will he take new instruction like Favre did from Stubbers or will he continue in his old patterns knowing he is the smartest guy in the room?

You can only serve one master, at least that's what my wife tells me.

I feel so ungrateful posting this. Tex, absolve me of my sin.

pbmax
04-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Yeah, the part about WR confusion came across as totally believable.

As far as Wistian significance of this article, that's at the center of it - how will Rodgers be going forward? Will he take new instruction like Favre did from Stubbers or will he continue in his old patterns knowing he is the smartest guy in the room?

You can only serve one master, at least that's what my wife tells me.

I feel so ungrateful posting this. Tex, absolve me of my sin.

I wonder if this will be Favre to Stubby or Favre to Sherman.

Sherman came in and changed the offensive identity because he had a monster line, a good running back and no receivers left. La Fleur has a more mixed bag. Better receiver but worse O line however his bread and butter offense is based on a running identity.

bobblehead
04-06-2019, 11:01 AM
In this scenario, to whom do I direct my comment that Samsung is a South Korean company?

It won't matter. 3 pages later the same misinformation will be repeated as if you never corrected it.

mraynrand
04-06-2019, 11:04 AM
^^^ It really depends on the talent they bring in. I don't know what offensive identity they have until you see what they get for RG and RT. If, as I suspect, they care about the run game and protecting Rodgers, you likely see them blow two of their first four picks on O-linemen. If the best tackle they have rated is there, there's a good chance they take him at 12. And the howling will commence!

bobblehead
04-06-2019, 11:10 AM

1) What you describe in Rodgers is called "leadership" when Brady and Aikman do/did it.

2) MM is the worst kind of idiot. The kind that thinks he is smarter than everyone else, but often is the dumbest guy in the room. He was supplied with an HOF QB and a top 5 talented roster. He won ONE Owl. He believed he was responsible for winning with superior talent. He was not a high class person. He got a fricking groundkeeper fired for asking if they would win the Owl this year. He isn't allowed at high school basketball games anymore. He is a tool.

3) Marcia couldn't walk into the role and fire TT and MM. Not even TT had those kinda balls. He didn't owe MM the end of the year. He didn't owe MM a thing. MM lost his team and got fired. I would have let him lose a couple more for a better pick, but thats just me. I have a strong inkling MM strong arming during the new GM search and being a demanding prick had a lot to do with how he was fired. Doing an interview a year later whining about it instead of moving on simply backs up what I think. Would you hire a guy who was trashing his former employer or would you prefer a guy who went with "it didn't work out. I could have done better. I wish they had treated me better, but it was time". Marcia will be judged on the next 5 years. If LaFlavor is the real deal and Gutes restocks the roster he gets a good grade. If not, time to move on...midseason or not.

gbgary
04-06-2019, 11:14 AM
here's an interview from yesterday that confirms what i heard, and mentioned here, about russ ball running stuff, and other interesting stuff. take a listen...

https://billmichaelssports.radio.com/articles/green-and-gold-insider-mike-clemens-shares-his-depth-perspective-both-packers-qb-aaron

Anti-Polar Bear
04-06-2019, 02:11 PM

As Bruno - and maybe even Tex - likes to say, the Koreans, both Northerners and Southerners alike, are basically Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVYOfgHoCc

pbmax
04-06-2019, 04:13 PM
here's an interview from yesterday that confirms what i heard, and mentioned here, about russ ball running stuff, and other interesting stuff. take a listen...

https://billmichaelssports.radio.com/articles/green-and-gold-insider-mike-clemens-shares-his-depth-perspective-both-packers-qb-aaron

Don't know Mike Clemens from Adam, but if he did warn Michaels about McCarthy on thin ice (privately) because of a chance encountered with Gute and Murph having a talk in a public corridor, good on him. But that sounds more revealing in retrospect.

The Ted sleeping in meetings and Russ doing some of his job story seems to have been around for a while.

They might have needed Murphy to step in, but I wonder why it was late? And does he know more than crisis management?

gbgary
04-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Don't know Mike Clemens from Adam, but if he did warn Michaels about McCarthy on thin ice (privately) because of a chance encountered with Gute and Murph having a talk in a public corridor, good on him. But that sounds more revealing in retrospect.

The Ted sleeping in meetings and Russ doing some of his job story seems to have been around for a while.

They might have needed Murphy to step in, but I wonder why it was late? And does he know more than crisis management?

i think Ball liked playing gm and kept it quiet for a little while. heard the 17 draft was him, murphy, and the personnel dept in scramble mode.

pbmax
04-06-2019, 05:37 PM
i think Ball liked playing gm and kept it quiet for a little while. heard the 17 draft was him, murphy, and the personnel dept in scramble mode.

If it was that bad, why sit on it for the summer and roster cutdown? Gute was hired in Jan 2018.

gbgary
04-06-2019, 09:33 PM
If it was that bad, why sit on it for the summer and roster cutdown? Gute was hired in Jan 2018.

right. after the 17 season was done. after the 17 draft it's up to mccarthy, ball, and whoever, to do the roster. i think that whole process is what led to mccarthy's ultimatum about quitting if ball was named gm. ball didn't/doesn't know personnel (hyde/hayward decisions). murphy clearly decided thompson had to go early 17.

pbmax
04-06-2019, 09:55 PM
right. after the 17 season was done. after the 17 draft it's up to mccarthy, ball, and whoever, to do the roster. i think that whole process is what led to mccarthy's ultimatum about quitting if ball was named gm. ball didn't/doesn't know personnel (hyde/hayward decisions). murphy clearly decided thompson had to go early 17.

OK. But why not act on it? Why use hanger wire and electrical tape for another 3/4 of a year.

red
04-06-2019, 10:17 PM
OK. But why not act on it? Why use hanger wire and electrical tape for another 3/4 of a year.

i don't think murphy had the stones to completely clean house like he should have

last year was a complete waste of a season by leaving fat fuck linger

thats why i say murphy is responsible for this mess as much as anyone

woodbuck27
04-07-2019, 03:30 AM
Lol.

Ok Alpha Male.

George your signature is too hahahaha.

woodbuck27
04-07-2019, 04:49 AM

Every packerrat should take the time to listen to the Bill Michael's Sports Show Pod Cast on this matter/ issue and know as much as possible on this entire matter. It is no longer acceptable as Packer fans, that any of us choose a stance of denial. That any of us exhibit false pride and dumbass ego.

Frankly it has all been right there in front of us, the mess the Packets became and why....and 'the why' is covered by this Pod Cast.

Nice find and post gbgary,

Thanks.

woodbuck27
04-07-2019, 05:07 AM

Why!? Becase Packer President and Chair of the Packer Board wasn't up to speed; not clued in to the real goings on at1265 Lombardi Ave.

Mark Murphy was otherwise occupied with what? The Atrium Project. He trusted TT AND MM were doing their jobs competently.

He has a very huge embarrassing situation to deal with and he decides to solve it in a two part process of shedding BOTH TT AND THEN
...... M

It should have be, en.obvious that after the Seattle loss that MM was out to lunch,ff frozen on the field and not capable of running the team on the sidelines and winning the huge games. He didn't even know which key players were on and off the field..
Ie Linebacker Clsy Matthew's Iii

woodbuck27
04-07-2019, 05:20 AM
i don't think murphy had the stones to completely clean house like he should have

Yes your correct.

The key now is a great off season and the Mark Murphy gets everyone on the same page

The key is that the pieces are put into place to make that huge contract to Aaron Rodgers look justified but it was obviously now an error to rush to get it done.

Aaron Rodgers isn't likely to become all warm and fuzzy with many. He simply wants to win so get him the pieces to do so.I believe that starts by upgrading the RHS of the Offensive Line...getting a NO. 2 WR. Improving the Pass Rush as highest priorijties.

Fritz
04-07-2019, 08:12 AM
All this gnashing of teeth is probably because no one has any idea how things will go, looking ahead. People are trying to create a narrative that makes sense in order to try to project the future, at least a little. Me, too. Having grown up watching Dan Devine tear the team into shreds, with consequences that had a ripple effect for a decade or so, I am concerned that this is the end of that glorious run we fans had from Wolf through the beginning of that last NFC Championship game against Atlanta. Those were some dark days, back in the 70's, and though there was a very entertaining blip in the 80's with Lynn Dickey and Lofton and company, it was just a blip.

So we're all just trying to get a handle as to whether this is going to be some long-running bungle, or whether LeFleur can learn quickly enough to right the ship. And whether Murphy/Gute have the acumen and nuts to find the next great QB.

Joemailman
04-07-2019, 08:45 AM
All this gnashing of teeth is probably because no one has any idea how things will go, looking ahead. People are trying to create a narrative that makes sense in order to try to project the future, at least a little. Me, too. Having grown up watching Dan Devine tear the team into shreds, with consequences that had a ripple effect for a decade or so, I am concerned that this is the end of that glorious run we fans had from Wolf through the beginning of that last NFC Championship game against Atlanta. Those were some dark days, back in the 70's, and though there was a very entertaining blip in the 80's with Lynn Dickey and Lofton and company, it was just a blip.

So we're all just trying to get a handle as to whether this is going to be some long-running bungle, or whether LeFleur can learn quickly enough to right the ship. And whether Murphy/Gute have the acumen and nuts to find the next great QB.

We're probably not going to see another 10 year stretch like we saw from 2007 to 2016 where this team played in 4 NFC Title Games and made the playoffs 9 times. Outside of New England, that's about as good as it gets in today's NFL. But I think we're just as unlikely to see a return to the 1970's-80's. Why? Because this organization is making the tough decisions it takes to move ahead, rather than try to recreate the past. Just in the past year, we've seen the Packers move out Ted Thompson, fire Mike McCarthy, and release Jordy Nelson, and let go Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb. Contrast this to the bad old days when the Packers twice brought in Former Great Lombardi Players to try to bring back the glory days. Perhaps Murphy and Gute are consciously avoiding the mistakes the organization made in the past, or perhaps they're just smarter than the people running the organization back then.

pbmax
04-07-2019, 09:06 AM
Fritz is correct to a point, I want to know if Murphy and Gute have their s*** together over the future.

But I also want to measure what is being reported against what we know. And if as Gary suggests he has heard elsewhere that Ted wasn't available for the 2017 draft, then I want to know why the decision was made to not hire a GM on the spot. Or how did they miss that for so long?

Draft prep in GB lasts for most of March and ALL the scouts and personnel people are in meetings at Lambeau. You telling me if Ted wasn't there or was beeping yes or no answers from his chair that no one talked about this?

When McCarthy allegedly weighs in against Ball, was he weighing in against a Ted protege or a guy with a year's track record?

If he was the de facto GM, how does Murphy not know? Seems more likely he does know and is considering Ball for the permanent gig in part based on how that went.

Joemailman
04-07-2019, 09:32 AM
Fritz is correct to a point, I want to know if Murphy and Gute have their s*** together over the future.

But I also want to measure what is being reported against what we know. And if as Gary suggests he has heard elsewhere that Ted wasn't available for the 2017 draft, then I want to know why the decision was made to not hire a GM on the spot. Or how did they miss that for so long?

Draft prep in GB lasts for most of March and ALL the scouts and personnel people are in meetings at Lambeau. You telling me if Ted wasn't there or was beeping yes or no answers from his chair that no one talked about this?

When McCarthy allegedly weighs in against Ball, was he weighing in against a Ted protege or a guy with a year's track record?

If he was the de facto GM, how does Murphy not know? Seems more likely he does know and is considering Ball for the permanent gig in part based on how that went.

Thompson was lucid enough to talk about the decision to trade the 29th pick in 2017 for the 33rd pick, the pick that would eventually be Kevin King:

https://fox6now.com/2017/04/27/green-bay-packers-make-the-29th-pick-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/

GREEN BAY — Ted Thompson wanted to make one thing clear to the NFL’s other 31 general managers Thursday night: Having already traded the Green Bay Packers’ first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns to move back, he’s willing to do so again on Day 2 of the draft.

“Oh yeah,” Thompson said with a smile. “We’re taking calls.”

The Packers sent the 29th overall pick to the Browns to move back four spots to the first pick of Friday’s second round (No. 33). They also got a fourth-round pick (No. 108).

It marked the second time in Thompson’s 13 drafts as the Packers’ general manager that the team did not make a first-round selection. In 2008, Thompson traded back from No. 30 in a deal with the New York Jets and selected Kansas State wide receiver Jordy Nelson with the 36th overall pick.

By adding the first pick of the fourth round, the Packers now have nine picks on the draft’s final two days: Two picks in the second, fourth and fifth rounds, and single picks in the third, sixth and seventh rounds.

“We felt like today went pretty good,” Thompson said. “Things fell like we felt was advantageous to us – especially for the next couple days. We feel good where we are, (even though) we didn’t draft anybody.”

The Browns used the 29th pick on Miami tight end David Njoku. One pick later, the Pittsburgh Steelers took Wisconsin outside linebacker T.J. Watt, a player many thought would interest the Packers given their dire need for pass-rushing help. The Packers also have pressing needs at cornerback, running back and inside linebacker.

Thompson said he made the deal because he felt he had a number of players he liked still available on his draft board. Among the most highly regarded players who fell out of the first round are Washington cornerbacks Kevin King and Sidney Jones, Kansas State pass rusher Jordan Willis, Houston pass rusher Tyus Bowser, Florida cornerback Quincy Wilson, Florida State running back Dalvin Cook and Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon.

The video of his comments might raise come concerns though about whether his struggles were beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akrxj9d-VKo

red
04-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Thompson was lucid enough to talk about the decision to trade the 29th pick in 2017 for the 33rd pick, the pick that would eventually be Kevin King:

https://fox6now.com/2017/04/27/green-bay-packers-make-the-29th-pick-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/

I believe that’s when some of us actually noticed something was wrong

When you saw him actually do an interview, he looked at the time like he was drunk, some of us even commented at the time about it

I don’t know if it was that exact interview, or another one from that draft, but he was talking slowly and sluring his words

Joemailman
04-07-2019, 09:40 AM

When you saw him actually do an interview, he looked at the time like he was drunk, some of us even commented at the time about it

I don’t know if it was that exact interview, or another one from that draft, but he was talking slowly and sluring his words

I found the video and edited my post.

bobblehead
04-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Interesting note. We owed it to MM to give him the rest of the season, but the minute TT showed a bit of mental decline we should have fired him immediately!!!

Being that I credit TT with a lot more of the success than I do MM I think we handled things ok. Again, TT was all class during his tenure (unless you thought we owed Brett 2 more years at the loss of ARod to Free agency). MM was/is an insufferable prick. I think that NAMING a new GM leading to the 2017 draft was pointless. We had a personnel team in place and I imagine letting TT run point didn't affect much. After that they convinced TT to step down of his own accord. Firing him early wouldn't have affected much (unless you wanted to give Dorsey the job). I think the massive rift between ARod and MM caused them to move on midseason as they did from MM. MM was as good as gone and they didn't want to piss ARod off anymore.

mraynrand
04-07-2019, 10:27 AM
How much is ‘a bit?’

Harlan Huckleby
04-07-2019, 11:07 AM

takes one to know one

Harlan Huckleby
04-07-2019, 11:14 AM
All this gnashing of teeth is probably because no one has any idea how things will go, looking ahead.

I'm not sure that Packers don't have the worst personnel in the NFC-North. Can I get a witness? So it does feel like we could be set for some Bears/Lions years. It will be fun to look for signs of "green shoots" from the new french regime the next two years. More fun than griping about Stubby.

gbgary
04-07-2019, 11:57 AM

no need to hurry at that point. had to come up with a plan. professional courtesy toward thompson etc.

gbgary
04-07-2019, 12:03 PM

waste of a season...i agree, but finding a gm AND a head coach was too much to do at once. the season would've been a mess then too. at least with mccarthy one more year it had a slight chance to not be so bad. hell, if crosby hadn't basically lost four games for them it would have looked ok. in hind sight it's good that he didn't. lol

red
04-07-2019, 12:16 PM
waste of a season...i agree, but finding a gm AND a head coach was too much to do at once. the season would've been a mess then too. at least with mccarthy one more year it had a slight chance to not be so bad. hell, if crosby hadn't basically lost four games for them it would have looked ok. in hind sight it's good that he didn't. lol

almost every other team hires a new GM and then lets them find their head coach

when they don't, the coaches are considered lame ducks

Joemailman
04-07-2019, 01:07 PM

Perhaps, but it doesn't usually happen right away. When A GM is hired at the end of a season, he has a ton of work to do evaluating the player roster so he can prepare for free agency and the draft. To cite a recent example, John Dorsey did not fire Hue Jackson upon getting the job even though Jackson was 1-31 as a head coach with the Browns. He waited until midway through the 2018 season.

mraynrand
04-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Perhaps, but it doesn't usually happen right away. When A GM is hired at the end of a season, he has a ton of work to do evaluating the player roster so he can prepare for free agency and the draft. To cite a recent example, John Dorsey did not fire Hue Jackson upon getting the job even though Jackson was 1-31 as a head coach with the Browns. He waited until midway through the 2018 season.

Hue Jackson was a special case in that he had been given direct assurance by the owner that he would have three years. The GM knew he couldn't fire him before the next season. But, much like the GM changes the Packers made in Stubby's final year, they were baking the cake to make sure they could torpedo both. For the Browns it was insisting on hiring an offensive coordinator, but they got a guy who thought he should be a HC and running the show, so conflict was inevitable. For the Packers it was the relentless torpedoing of players to position themselves for a monster 2019 draft. Both teams knew they were getting rid of the coaches; both coaches knew it, but probably thought they might make it through the season.

George Cumby
04-07-2019, 08:09 PM
All of the fog of war aside, there is enough smoke to suggest there is fire, there's a lot of mud in the waters, I could go on, and trust Rand could do better, but I think this outfit is up a creek without a saddle.

pbmax
04-07-2019, 08:14 PM

The worst interview was his first after he came back from the extended medical leave.

pbmax
04-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Interesting note. We owed it to MM to give him the rest of the season, but the minute TT showed a bit of mental decline we should have fired him immediately!!!

Being that I credit TT with a lot more of the success than I do MM I think we handled things ok. Again, TT was all class during his tenure (unless you thought we owed Brett 2 more years at the loss of ARod to Free agency). MM was/is an insufferable prick. I think that NAMING a new GM leading to the 2017 draft was pointless. We had a personnel team in place and I imagine letting TT run point didn't affect much. After that they convinced TT to step down of his own accord. Firing him early wouldn't have affected much (unless you wanted to give Dorsey the job). I think the massive rift between ARod and MM caused them to move on midseason as they did from MM. MM was as good as gone and they didn't want to piss ARod off anymore.

Well, if Thompson was incapable, naming one would make more sense than not. And I believe that finding a GM early and then a coach the following year is a pretty typical timeline, so there isn't any more hurry in this alternate scenario than what actually transpired.

But if Ted was still doing press, I suspect the amount of his decline is exaggerated by the report that "Ball was running things". Its was reported long before his retirement that Thompson did not travel as much as he used to and had handed over some duties to Ball.

I do not mind treating people as professionally as possible in terms of fulfilling their contract or ending their employment. McCarthy probably was not well served by that contract extension. Since it was done while Thompson was on board getting his own extension, he may have been trying to protect McCarthy. If Thompson was incapacitated in some way, letting him stick it out wasn't kind. The last year of M3's deal wasn't kind either.

I think it was done to provide the Packers to the easiest path to re-signing Rodgers. It's be interesting to know what they (Gute, Ball and Rodgers) talked about. Because if any of Dunne's additional reporting is true, they knew it wasn't likely to last. Especially if they were rebuilding on the fly.

At its best, it was a gamble that blew up.

mraynrand
04-07-2019, 10:54 PM
All of the fog of war aside, there is enough smoke to suggest there is fire, there's a lot of mud in the waters, I could go on, and trust Rand could do better, but I think this outfit is up a creek without a saddle.

I'm not really worried, but I'm sort of agnostic about it, because I really don't know whether any of these guys are all that talented. Gute, LaFlournoy, all the assistants - no idea, except I think Poutine is probably a quality DC. I think Murphy's ability to hurt the franchise is over-estimated, so for me it's all up in the air. This team could be very good, or it could suck. Just have to wait and see. Rodgers will either get on board or diva the team to death for a couple of years. I hope the former. I hope in three years we're not talking about Gute sending him his old locker.

pbmax
04-08-2019, 08:04 AM
I think a QB has at least one offensive change in them. Favre made it work for Sherman. He was very Favrian for McCarthy. I very much expect Rodgers to buy into La Fleur's Badger offense.

If Darrell Bevell is here in four years with the Sherman/Childress/Seattle offense, the Packers will need a new QB.

mraynrand
04-08-2019, 08:50 AM
I think a QB has at least one offensive change in them. Favre made it work for Sherman. He was very Favrian for McCarthy. I very much expect Rodgers to buy into La Fleur's Badger offense.

What does that mean? Favre had two years with Stubby and 2007 was outstanding except at Chicago and the final game/pass. But it wasn't Favre's fault they couldn't run the ball against the Giants.

SudsMcBucky
04-08-2019, 09:49 AM

My mom had been insisting to me for some time that she could swear TT had a stroke.

pbmax
04-08-2019, 11:37 AM
What does that mean? Favre had two years with Stubby and 2007 was outstanding except at Chicago and the final game/pass. But it wasn't Favre's fault they couldn't run the ball against the Giants.

Well, 2006 wasn't any great shakes and featured a lot of INTs, which is what we'd come to expect.

But mostly I mean that he was at the one read and throw it stage of his career. He was not interested in hanging out in the pocket for >3 seconds. It was the time of his career where he would explain a play or throw by flashback, as he did about that last throw to Driver versus the Giants in '07. My feeling about that year is that McCarthy had to adjust to Favre more to make it work.

Well, we have seen them run that defense against that play before and Donald had adjusted by running his route a little tighter to the inside but this time he adjusted differently

It wasn't bad, it was just his way of running that offense. From the memory of what went before. And that italicized part is very paraphrased.

call_me_ishmael
04-08-2019, 12:35 PM
I found the video and edited my post.

Wow, really concerning in hindsight.

gbgary
04-08-2019, 04:38 PM

with an experienced gm i could see both happening but gute was a noob and after murphy was burned by the whole thompson situation he wanted to be hands-on in the coaching hire too. he'll never turn his back on the football side, by trusting it fully to a gm, again.

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 07:46 PM

TT didn't dump HC Mike Sherman until year two as the Packers GM.

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 08:26 PM
I just read an account of what really happened on the night the Packers 'reluctantly' picked Aaron Rodgers as the 24th pick of his Draft Class and more on the Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers smozzle from a totally first hand legitiment source or Andrew Brandt, that is just mind blowing and a real piss off.

Damn the Green Bay Packers jerked Packer Nation around on that f..king mess. The Packers at the very top and TT AND MM JUST HANDLED IT REALLY POORLY.

I simply watched very interested and closely just how MM handled himself in that whole Favre " should I retire or not affair "; and yes my stance was strongly opposed here by too many that are now history.

I could not in my assessment of it all not feel that MM was a total asshole in that matter.

My position today: Noone should ever trust the likes of a Mike McCarthy;
or anyone who is so damnable self serving.

'Integrity' is a hard earned and extremely positive personality trait and frankly MM FAILS THE TEST.

Sadly, I finally have the answer to Ted Thompson's ways and manners. TT simply has a serious state of mental incapascity to deal with; very likely related to all the times he was probably concussed playing LBer in Houston.

Please someone post ** this info. Where you judge it needs to be posted. As simple Packer fans and members of a much larger group we know popularly as 'Packer Nation' we are of late receiving a barrage of some dramatic or sensational news. We are I feel finally getting where any relationship must be and real healing to move forward or sifting through a shitstorm of info.; to hopefully in our collective good sence here at Packerrats arriving finally in ' the former and post Favre Era '...THE TRUTH.

Google these keywords for a LINK to post the specific info. here on Packerrats.com:

So it turns out the Packers also didn't want Rodgers on Draft Night ?!?!...please use those words for a good LINK.

This article or story poped up on the Internet on a Google Link tonight from barstoolsports.com..and the Author is Liz Gonzales who posted it on 4/19/2019 @ 9:09 PM EST......we need to verify the source, but it looks good.

There is full video of then Green Bay Packer VP Andrew Brandt on the Gary Vee Show informing us of the story of that 2005 Draft Night and the Green Bay Packers reluctantly selecting Aaron Rodgers. Doing so nearly at the end of the 15 minute time limit or about 13 minutes into that; for the pick because the Packers were waiting on an offer from another organization for Aaron Rodgers.

Isn't that vintage Ted Thompson thinking more is better over quality. Your going to learn how the best move the Packers ever made in the TT Era was reluctantly made. If this isn't a final analysis of Ted Thompson then what is?

Even when TT got it right.and we got to see a great QB again in Green Bay...Mr. 'scratch his head' Ted Thompson in Truth...fluked it. Ted Thomson was unprepared to consider Aaron Rodgers as his first Draft pick. How many more times was it just that way? Why did TT REMAIN OUR Team's GM for over the top too long? You know why?

In two words....Management incompetence.

TT and MM fooled way too many Packer fans; how did they fool upper Management?

Now, how do you feel about the strength of resolve to remain quiet on all this crap by ' a real Man ' Brett Favre?!

HAPPY EASTER WEEKEND Packerrats.

Woody

woodbuck27
04-20-2019, 12:18 AM
Bump