PDA

View Full Version : The sacks - a little help please!.

Patler
09-10-2006, 06:52 PM
OK, I managed to miss every one of the sacks against Favre, even though I saw 90% of the game.
Can someone describe the plays, what happened on the sacks, who seemed to get beat?

From what I did see, the line played better than Favre did. His missed badly even when receivers were open the second half, even when he had time to throw.

Green got 110 for a 5.5 average without breaking a long one . That's what they want from the running game.

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Best I can tell, Tauscher and Clifton simply did not have good games.

Brohm
09-10-2006, 06:54 PM
One of them was when Clifton helped double team the tackle with Spitz, leaving the DE an open lane to the QB.

retailguy
09-10-2006, 06:54 PM
OK, I managed to miss every one of the sacks against Favre, even though I saw 90% of the game.
Can someone describe the plays, what happened on the sacks, who seemed to get beat?

From what I did see, the line played better than Favre did. His missed badly even when receivers were open the second half, even when he had time to throw.

Green got 110 for a 5.5 average without breaking a long one . That's what they want from the running game.

cliffy was at fault on two, I don't remember the other

red
09-10-2006, 06:55 PM
the first sack wasn't really a sack. it was 4th and inches and brett went for a sneak and fell face first short of where he was

i have a mental block of the other two. i think one came from the left middle where all the linemen ran to their ZBS spots and no one blocked the big lineman that was standing there

Brohm
09-10-2006, 06:55 PM

Indeed, Taucher even had a holding penalty. If I recall right wouldn't that be the first "real" holding call he has ever had? Or am I way off base there?

red
09-10-2006, 06:56 PM

i think the other one was the 4th and inches that came up short. thats the only thing i can remember that would be a 3rd sack

Patler
One of them was when Clifton helped double team the tackle with Spitz, leaving the DE an open lane to the QB.

If that's the case, it sounds liek someone missed a stunt. Was he outside or inside?

Brohm
Ahh also another was when Spitz stepped on Farves foot...so really one true sack today.

retailguy

Indeed, Taucher even had a holding penalty. If I recall right wouldn't that be the first "real" holding call he has ever had? Or am I way off base there?

he had two. had two last season too but they were bullshit

MJZiggy
09-10-2006, 06:57 PM

No, he had one last year.

Joemailman
09-10-2006, 06:57 PM

I believe the back was supposed to pick up the DE, but didn't get there.

Brohm
09-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Looked like a non-block. Clifton went right to help Spitz and then had an "Oh Shit" moment and tried to come back to at least chip the DE.

MJZiggy

i think the other one was the 4th and inches that came up short. thats the only thing i can remember that would be a 3rd sack

That play and the 3rd down one had bad spots. If you watched the replay, he had it.

Patler
the first sack wasn't really a sack. it was 4th and inches and brett went for a sneak and fell face first short of where he was

i have a mental block of the other two. i think one came from the left middle where all the linemen ran to their ZBS spots and no one blocked the big lineman that was standing there

A QB sneak wouldn't go down in the stats as a passing play with a sack. It would be a rushing play.

red
09-10-2006, 07:00 PM

That play and the 3rd down one had bad spots. If you watched the replay, he had it.

agreed, those were both bad spots, and both should have been 1st downs

motife
The first sack at 3:21 in the 1st quarter, Urlacher and both safeties were threatening blitz and Favre just fell down back pedalling. Favre was just spooked.

Urlacher and one of the safeties actually blitzed. But you can't blame that on any of the linemen.

That was 3rd and 3 at the GB44.

Brohm

Yah, I remembr the phantom one last year and they were saying that he had yet to have a holding call on him till that point. Was a bit surprised they didnt mention that when he got the flag.

red
09-10-2006, 07:01 PM

A QB sneak wouldn't go down in the stats as a passing play with a sack. It would be a rushing play.

ok, then would it be a sack when spitz stepped on bretts foot?

Patler
09-10-2006, 07:02 PM

I think he had two last year. The first was a real bad call, the ref simply called the wrong player number on an obvious "takedown" by someone else. The second as I recall was a week or two later, and was a legit call on Tauscher. I remember feeling at the time that at least his streak would have ended legitimately on that one.

Bossman641
09-10-2006, 07:02 PM
On one Spitz stepped on Favre's foot as he was pulling away from center

On the other Mark Andersen beat Clifton

On the other Clifton blocked down on the DT and nobody picked up the end. He had a free run at Favre

motife
09-10-2006, 07:09 PM
The second sack at 3;51 in the 2nd quarter was on 1st and 10 at the GB39. Favre tripped on Jason Spitz's foot who had driven his man out of the play. It was just a mixup.

red
09-10-2006, 07:14 PM
The second sack at 3;51 in the 2nd quarter was on 1st and 10 at the GB39. Favre tripped on Jason Spitz's foot who had driven his man out of the play. It was just a mixup.

spitz didn't drive anyone out on that play, he didn't have time to.

the ball was snapped, and while he was trying to take his first step back is when either spitz stepped on his foot, and favre tripped over it. either way, i'd say the guards foot isn't suppose to be in the qb's way when he starts to drop back. but it did seem to just be one of those freak plays

motife
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
The 3rd sack was after the successful fake punt pass by Ryan to Herron.

1st and 10 at the Chicago 39. 1:57 in the 2nd quarter.

This was just a missed blocking assignment. No one lined up on a DE who was spread wide outside of the man Chad Clifton had. Chad Clifton blocked his man, but no one was lined up on #95. Greg Jennings was the only one close to the guy, but Jennings just took off downfield and 95 came in untouched on Favre. Lost 11 yards.

Clifton tried to get him after he saw the blown assignment.

Not sure who's fault it was no one picked him up. Clifton should be held responsible although he couldn't block 2 men at once.

vince
09-10-2006, 07:16 PM

If that's the case, it sounds liek someone missed a stunt. Was he outside or inside?It looked to me like Lee, who motioned into a full-back-area position to provide blocking support, went immediately to the middle to help and the untouched guy came from the outside and Lee was late and whiffed...

Patler
09-10-2006, 07:19 PM

That's a good question. I did see that play. I'm not sure how it would be ruled.

motife
09-10-2006, 07:21 PM
spitz didn't drive anyone out on that play, he didn't have time to.

the ball was snapped, and while he was trying to take his first step back is when either spitz stepped on his foot, and favre tripped over it. either way, i'd say the guards foot isn't suppose to be in the qb's way when he starts to drop back. but it did seem to just be one of those freak plays

You're correct, Spitz was bull/speed rushed, but his man was not going to get to Favre. The trip occured about 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I just reviewed the play on TiVo.

motife
09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
by the way, Favre tripped on Spitz's foot. Spitz did not step on Favre at all.

Patler
09-10-2006, 07:29 PM
[quote=red]
The trip occured about 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I just reviewed the play on TiVo.

7 yards? I thought it happened as Favre pulled out from under center, his foot hooked on SpitZ' right foot?

red
09-10-2006, 07:30 PM

That's a good question. I did see that play. I'm not sure how it would be ruled.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! !!!

i stumped the master

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

motife
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM
to summarize, after reviewing on TiVo, there were 3 sacks for a loss of 22 yards.

sack#1 :

1stQ, 3:21, 3rd and 3 at the GB 44.

Threatened blitz by Urlacher and both safeties who were stunting right at the line. When the ball was snapped, only Urlacher and one of the safeties blitzed. Favre fell down on his back while backpedaling. Must have just got spooked. Lost 5 yards.

sack#2 :

2ndQ, 3:51, 1st and 10 at GB 39.

Jason Spitz was speed/bull rushed by his man, driven back about 10 yards on the play almost immediately after the snap. Favre was setting up in a very tight pocket and tripped on Spitz's foot, who was directly behind Favre at the time, and fell down for a 7 yard loss.

sack#3 :

The 3rd sack was after the successful fake punt pass by Ryan to Herron.

1st and 10 at the Chicago 39. 1:57 in the 2nd quarter.

This was just a missed blocking assignment. No one lined up on a DE who was spread wide outside of the man Chad Clifton had. Chad Clifton blocked his man, but no one was lined up on #95. Greg Jennings was the only one close to the guy, but Jennings just took off downfield and 95 came in untouched on Favre. Lost 11 yards.

Clifton tried to get him after he saw the blown assignment.

Not sure who's fault it was no one picked him up. Clifton should be held responsible although he couldn't block 2 men at once.

BobDobbs
09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
On the First fall down sack. Urlacher approached the line showing blitz. The center got spooked IMO, then dropped his right leg back much farther than he would have to get a better angle on the block. Favre went down to the ground but the play was still live, which is why he pump faked. Then when touched by a Bear player he was ruled down by contact hence the sack.
As far as the sack on the outside. Clifton and Lee were talking to each other after the sack, so maybe it wasn't Clifton's fault. But, what pass blocking scheme calls for the Tackle to block down to his inside shoulder and then a backfield player to come all the way over to block the outside rusher? I think that was probably a mental error on Clifton's fault.
There were numerous other breakdowns in pass pro that didn't result in sacks. We have a long way to go.

mraynrand
09-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I thought it was Martin who was suposed to block that one - he was lined up in the backfield asa RB. I think they were trying to cover for Henderson - that's where the miscommunication occurred probably.

red
09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
I thought it was Martin who was suposed to block that one - he was lined up in the backfield asa RB. I think they were trying to cover for Henderson - that's where the miscommunication occurred probably.

yeah, i thought it was martin too. cause i was screaming at the tv, WHY THE F^%K IS HE STILL HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motife
09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
On the First fall down sack. Urlacher approached the line showing blitz. The center got spooked IMO, then dropped his right leg back much farther than he would have to get a better angle on the block. .

You could be right. There was a huge panic before the ball was even snapped for sure. The offense looked very unsettled at the snap.

Patler
09-10-2006, 08:14 PM
On the First fall down sack. Urlacher approached the line showing blitz. The center got spooked IMO, then dropped his right leg back much farther than he would have to get a better angle on the block. Favre went down to the ground but the play was still live, which is why he pump faked. Then when touched by a Bear player he was ruled down by contact hence the sack.

You are absolutely right. The pump fake made it a passing play, hence a sack when he was touched without an intervening running play action (like a handoff). I wonder how it would have been ruled if he just sat there and was touched, without the pump fake? My suspicion is it would have been ruled as a running play.