PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Gregg Passes

pbmax
04-12-2019, 09:00 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D39Sw_JW4AEqARu.jpg

pbmax
04-12-2019, 09:02 AM
You'll forgive me if my lasting memory of Gregg is getting his cheeks covered in Vaseline to help prevent windburn and frostbite during the Bengals Chargers playoff game. No way was he wearing a scarf of balaclava.

pbmax
04-12-2019, 09:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D39ROiBWwAEpFX8.jpg:large

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Sad to hear. You think of what an offensive linemen should be, you think of those great Packer teams led by Gregg and Kramer. I loved watching them run the sweep. Just quality football in a time when it wasn't necessarily about strategy and chess pieces, but about kicking the shit out of the eleven guys across from you. Running plays regardless if the defense knew what was coming because it wasn't about which coach was smarter, it was about which coach got the most from his players.

ZachMN
04-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Sad to hear. You think of what an offensive linemen should be, you think of those great Packer teams led by Gregg and Kramer. I loved watching them run the sweep. Just quality football in a time when it wasn't necessarily about strategy and chess pieces, but about kicking the shit out of the eleven guys across from you. Running plays regardless if the defense knew what was coming because it wasn't about which coach was smarter, it was about which coach got the most from his players.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

Love your Statement which coincides with this comment from Leonard Williams:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/12/leonard-williams-gregg-williams-energy-brings-out-best-in-players/

F Strategy you all know whats coming kick the shit out of the other guy. Love it. And I will say this GB should have hired Gregg Williams to bring back the 'can of whoopass' attitude.

RIP Forrest Gregg

Freak Out
04-12-2019, 10:32 AM
One of the greats. RIP.

Fritz
04-12-2019, 10:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D39Sw_JW4AEqARu.jpg

PB, I think you ought to change the title of this thread to "Forrest Gregg Runs."

He liked runs a whole lot better than passes, both as a player and a coach.

pbmax
04-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Not everyone is fond of his coaching tenure though.

Steve True
Forrest Gregg never liked me much and don't ask Lynn Dickey about him-NOT his favorite coach but most importantly...Gregg the greatest GB offensive lineman and not even close..But ask Cliff Christl-his opinion counts most.

Joemailman
04-12-2019, 05:41 PM
1st team All-Pro 7 times. 6 at RT, 1 at LG in 1965 when he was moved there due to injuries. How many players have been All-Pro at 2 different positions? Never missed a game from 1958-1970.

Cleft Crusty
04-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Game four of the 1986 season, after a 42-7 drubbing at Minnesota, in a game that wasn't as close as the final score indicated, Forrest Gregg was asked several questions about the game in the post-game press conference. The only thing that escaped from between his tightly clenched teeth was "You Saw It." Experts estimate that his systolic blood pressure peaked at 195 that afternoon. Leaving the Packers to restart the SMU football program probably is the reason he lived to be 85.

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2019, 02:35 AM
The thing I will remember about Forrest Gregg is the twitch. He had the most active, intense eyebrows in NFL history.

woodbuck27
04-13-2019, 06:27 AM
A true GREAT. I was fortunate to be a 1960's Green Bay Packer fan. He was a big part of the Packers ''bread and butter' play, 'the Lombardi Sweep'.

I read of his passing this morning and next stop this thread.

It's sad to where his health deteriorated to. I have and have had friends with the same affliction.

Fritz
04-13-2019, 07:18 AM
Not everyone is fond of his coaching tenure though.

Steve True
Forrest Gregg never liked me much and don't ask Lynn Dickey about him-NOT his favorite coach but most importantly...Gregg the greatest GB offensive lineman and not even close..But ask Cliff Christl-his opinion counts most.

He was probably one of the worst coaches the Packers had during that sorry stretch from the early 70's to the early 90's. How he won in Cinci I do not know.

But what a great, great player.

pbmax
04-13-2019, 02:26 PM
He was probably one of the worst coaches the Packers had during that sorry stretch from the early 70's to the early 90's. How he won in Cinci I do not know.

But what a great, great player.

Cincy had very good talent back then. Was the classic taskmaster effect for a year or two.

mraynrand
04-13-2019, 10:50 PM
The thing I will remember about Forrest Gregg is the twitch. He had the most active, intense eyebrows in NFL history.

Yes, yes. And it was reminiscent of:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SpecificDopeyAcornwoodpecker-small.gif

George Cumby
04-15-2019, 10:09 AM
I have an odd fondness of ol' Forrest and those 80's Packers. I loved the intense futility of it all; the relentless drubbings by the unbeatable Bears and the very good Vikings. Occasionally there would be hope only for it to be crushed by the team's incompetence. Nostalgia or masochism, I guess. Perhaps nostalgic masochism.

But those years made the Favre/Rodgers DECADES so much more enjoyable.

RIP Forrest.

mraynrand
04-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Gregg was 6-2 versus the Vikings. It seems worse because the ‘86 losses were so terrible and ‘87 features one strike win. Not to mention the 9-24 record in ‘86 and ‘87.

MadScientist
04-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Gregg was 6-2 versus the Vikings. It seems worse because the ‘86 losses were so terrible and ‘87 features one strike win. Not to mention the 9-24 record in ‘86 and ‘87.

Those 6 wins also include 2 during the Les Steckel era, which really can't count as an accomplishment.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2019, 12:27 PM
I remember Forrest Gregg declaring he was getting rid of all the "8-8 players" following several mediocre years. Then the team went 4-12. I liked Lynn Dickey, Paul Coffman and other 8-8 players.

I probably am an unfortunate choice to speak here at the Forrest Gregg memorial service.

MadScientist
04-15-2019, 12:51 PM
I remember Forrest Gregg declaring he was getting rid of all the "8-8 players" following several mediocre years. Then the team went 4-12. I liked Lynn Dickey, Paul Coffman and other 8-8 players.

I probably am an unfortunate choice to speak here at the Forrest Gregg memorial service.

He needed to start by getting rid of the 0-8 players while keeping the 8-0 players. In the end, like is predecessor, he was a far better player than coach/GM. He did bring about the end of the reign of Lombardi era people at the helm of the Packers. At least his drafting was a step up from Starr's.

Harlan Huckleby
04-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Speaking of Lombardi era people, where the fuck is Maxie the Taxi? Is another memorial service in order?

QBME
04-15-2019, 04:48 PM
Great Packer.
Great Packer legacy.
Only regret - Friggin' Charles Martin. Took the intensity a step too far.

mraynrand
04-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Those 6 wins also include 2 during the Les Steckel era, which really can't count as an accomplishment.

A win is a win, baby!

mraynrand
04-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Speaking of Lombardi era people, where the fuck is Maxie the Taxi? Is another memorial service in order?

We are all concerned. 31 May have hired a detective. It’s possible Maxie is caring for his wife and can’t come to the blog. Say a prayer for him.

KYPack
04-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Maxie is the man, hope he's well.

As a player, Forrest was a total stud. The great memory of him is the play-offs of '67. I got an early Christmas present, 4 tix to the Rams Packers play-off game. The Rams only lost one game in the regular season. The Packers won the NFL Central, but pretty much limped in ending the season with 2 losses (including a loss to the Rams)

The center piece of the Rams was the Fearsome Foursome. Four snarling Dlineman led by future HOFers Merlin Olsen and David (Deacon) Jones. Jones lead the league in sacks that year. Many writers were forcasting that the Young Rams would run over the aging Packers. One of the key match-ups was Jones vs Forrest Gregg, their LDE vs our All-Pro RT.

The Rams scored early to jump ahead 7-0. The Pack got the ball soon faced a 3rd and long. The Deacon put his best pass rush move on Forrest. Jones was as quick and strong as advertised and went to go by Gregg with his famous Headslap move. He only delivered half a blow though. As Jones was head slapping, the long tall Texan buried a forearm in Jones ribs and drove him to the turf. A huge cheer erupted from all the fans on that sideline, including me. The Pack converted and moved on down field.

At the Ram 44, Bart called a trap play. Jerry Kramer blocked down on Merlin Olsen, Forrest kicked out on Jones, once again burying him. Young guard Gale Gillingham lead the power block thru the 2 hole clearing the highway for rookie speed back Travis Williams. The roadrunner left trail of burning grass down the right sideline. The crowd at the county went absolutely nuts. Part of the cheers were for the touchdown, the other part was for the realization that "Hey, we can beat these sumbitches"!

The game was a blow-out 28-7 and Forrest's performance was a huge part of the victory. Gregg was a Hall of Famer and one of the best ever to play that position.

Old frosty was a great player, so it was so disappointing to me when he totally screwed the job of coaching the Pack.

That shouldn't diminish Packer fans memories of Forrest. Remember as a great player, not the strange man that coached the Pack for a time.

Harlan Huckleby
04-18-2019, 04:15 PM
I completely forgot that Gregg was a head coach for Bengals, went to Superbowl in 1981. HC for Browns before that.

pbmax
04-18-2019, 08:57 PM
I completely forgot that Gregg was a head coach for Bengals, went to Superbowl in 1981. HC for Browns before that.

I forgot he was HC for Cleveland. It was a forgettable tenure. How bad did it get?

He won the AP Coach of the Year for 1976 for going 9-5. He was gone before the end of the next year.

Same kinda track as Dan Devine. AP head coach of the year in 1972. Devine held on for two years after that.

Cleft Crusty
04-18-2019, 09:11 PM
I forgot he was HC for Cleveland. It was a forgettable tenure. How bad did it get?

He won the AP Coach of the Year for 1976 for going 9-5. He was gone before the end of the next year.

Same kinda track as Dan Devine. AP head coach of the year in 1972. Devine held on for two years after that.

The difference is that Devine was a mole, sent to destroy the Packers franchise from within. '72 was just a hold-over error before the deconstruction began.

Cleft Crusty
04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Maxie is the man, hope he's well.

As a player, Forrest was a total stud. The great memory of him is the play-offs of '67. I got an early Christmas present, 4 tix to the Rams Packers play-off game. The Rams only lost one game in the regular season. The Packers won the NFL Central, but pretty much limped in ending the season with 2 losses (including a loss to the Rams)

The center piece of the Rams was the Fearsome Foursome. Four snarling Dlineman led by future HOFers Merlin Olsen and David (Deacon) Jones. Jones lead the league in sacks that year. Many writers were forcasting that the Young Rams would run over the aging Packers. One of the key match-ups was Jones vs Forrest Gregg, their LDE vs our All-Pro RT.

The Rams scored early to jump ahead 7-0. The Pack got the ball soon faced a 3rd and long. The Deacon put his best pass rush move on Forrest. Jones was as quick and strong as advertised and went to go by Gregg with his famous Headslap move. He only delivered half a blow though. As Jones was head slapping, the long tall Texan buried a forearm in Jones ribs and drove him to the turf. A huge cheer erupted from all the fans on that sideline, including me. The Pack converted and moved on down field.

At the Ram 44, Bart called a trap play. Jerry Kramer blocked down on Merlin Olsen, Forrest kicked out on Jones, once again burying him. Young guard Gale Gillingham lead the power block thru the 2 hole clearing the highway for rookie speed back Travis Williams. The roadrunner left trail of burning grass down the right sideline. The crowd at the county went absolutely nuts. Part of the cheers were for the touchdown, the other part was for the realization that "Hey, we can beat these sumbitches"!

The game was a blow-out 28-7 and Forrest's performance was a huge part of the victory. Gregg was a Hall of Famer and one of the best ever to play that position.

Old frosty was a great player, so it was so disappointing to me when he totally screwed the job of coaching the Pack.

That shouldn't diminish Packer fans memories of Forrest. Remember as a great player, not the strange man that coached the Pack for a time.

Fantastic story. Deacon Jones was a terror, but you could get him by avoiding the head slap and getting into his body, just like Gregg did. Gregg was a student of the game and knew how to get Jones

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/deacon-jones-forrest-04282014.jpg

"He was the best drive blocker I've ever seen." —Deacon Jones

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2019, 07:57 AM
The difference is that Devine was a mole, sent to destroy the Packers franchise from within.

He was from Notre Dame - cat-licker. The Vatican was up to its usual dirty tricks

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2019, 10:41 AM
No, Damn Devine went to Notre Dame AFTER messing up the Packers - and as I recall, he messed up the Irish pretty bad too.

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2019, 11:12 AM
This classic is available on ebay for $25

https://i.imgur.com/wJ0YdZd.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Bay-Packers-The-Pack-is-Devine-Old-Bumper-Sticker-T-/362135109142

Patler
04-19-2019, 12:13 PM
No, Damn Devine went to Notre Dame AFTER messing up the Packers - and as I recall, he messed up the Irish pretty bad too.

Uh..53-16-1 and a National Championship in 1977 at Notre Dame.
Of course, he did have Joe Montana.

MadScientist
04-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Uh..53-16-1 and a National Championship in 1977 at Notre Dame.
Of course, he did have Joe Montana.

Those fuckers even have a statue of that asshole. If that Notre Dame burned down, I'd give a cheer.

Patler
04-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Those fuckers even have a statue of that asshole. If that Notre Dame burned down, I'd give a cheer.

You would cheer if Notre Dame burned down? Why such animosity against a great educational institution?