PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NFL Draft, Positional Top Ten

Deputy Nutz
04-15-2019, 12:45 PM
I am going to list my top ten per position in this thread. I will probably edit each top ten list up until draft day. I am also going to tier the group as well. Feel free to add your top ten lists.

Inside Linebacker: Linebackers that I feel could play inside in an odd front, or in the middle in a even front. This a tough group, The top end has some huge potential, not Roquan Smith potential but pretty intriguing. The rest of the group is a mix between situational run and pass guys.
Tier One
1. Devin White LSU - Excellent athlete, but he has a better highlight film then game film. He takes to long to recognize what is happening in front of him and struggles to get off blocks.

2. Devin Bush Michigan - Another excellent athlete, likes to run side line to side line, has decent to above average cover skills, does a nice job of diagnosing an offense.

Tier Two
3. Mack Wilson, Alabama - Not physical enough taking on blocks, He can run and cover ground but he isn't going to stone an offensive blocker at the point of attack.

Tier Three
4. Te'von Coney Notre Dame - Plays like a middle linebacker should, aggressively takes on blocks and clogs the middle. Does a nice job filtering off blocks to make plays. Steady but certainly not fast. Not going to be on the field for passing downs and asked to cover

5. Germaine Pratt NC. St. - undersized and inexperienced at the position. He can run a good forty time but can he attack the line of scrimmage in the run game?

6. Dru Tranquill Notre Dame - He could be a safety in some schemes, most likely he will be an off the ball linebacker in the pros covering TEs. Tranquill is a very aggressive tackler. He had a great combine.

7. Terrell Hanks New Mexico - Teams like his film, but his combine is very sketchy. NFL linebackers don't run 5.0 forties.

Tier 4
8. TJ Edwards Wisconsin - A lot like Coney, but maybe a little less athletic, needs to play better in space.

9. Blake Cashman Minnesota - A former walk on with one year of starting experience. Tackling machine with a good combine, but with two surgically repaired shoulders.

10. Bobby Okereke Stanford - Good but not a great athlete that can run a little bit. Good instincts but gets absorbed by offensive linemen at times.

Others: Vosean Joseph Florida, Ben Burr-Kiven Washington, Cameron Smith USC, David Long JR. West Virginia, Tre Lamar Clemson, Jahlani Tavai Hawaii

Bretsky
04-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Great Stuff Nutz; I thought you'd have TJ Edwards a bit higher.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2019, 08:18 AM
I like Edwards, but he really struggles in open space. I love his instincts and he is always putting himself in position to make plays. He just struggles to make them when he is one on one with a ball carrier in space. I might move him up him and Coney are pretty similar. The guy I like is Dru Tranquill. I think he could be a mid round steal.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Wide Receiver- Very deep class of receiver where there will more guys in the top tier than the 3rd tier. The weird thing is, there is a heck of a lot of talent in this group but no player with a clean resume. Their is potential of a bust with every one of these guys.

Tier 1
1. DK Metcalf Ole Miss- I really struggle to put his name on the top of this list, but if I was a GM that needed a receiver I would put his name down to be drafted first. His boom/bust potential is the biggest I have seen at this position in a long time.

2.Parris Campbell Ohio St - Perfect slot receiver, he has the right size and his combine numbers were phenomenal. He played in weird offense at OSU that doesn't usually translate to the pros, he only ran a handful of routes.

3. AJ Brown Ole Miss - A heavily built slot receiver with good feet. His combine numbers were slightly above average, but his on field production is tops for this class. Brown has NFL ready hands and will have the bulk to attack the ball on contested throws.

4. N'Keal Harry Arizona St.- Reminds me a little bit of Davante Adams. He isn't going to run away from defensive backs but that's ok because he will make his mark in the NFL catching contested passes. Good open field vision and the best blocker in this group. His lack of explosive athletic traits will be a huge question mark as he transitions to the Pros.

Tier 2
5. Marquise Brown Oklahoma - I wouldn't draft him in the first two rounds. He is an explosive fast twitch athlete that gets to top speed quickly and can run his routes at top speed, but he is just too small and I can't see him surviving big open field hits after he catches the ball. It's the new NFL where guys are protected, but once he becomes a runner all bets are off. If he was 20 pounds heavier I would say he is a no question 1st rounder. Still might be.

6. Emanuel Hall Missouri - Hall is a smooth strider that makes the deep ball look easy. He had a very good combine, long arms and big hands and a phenomenal verticle at 43". Halls film is good, although he needs to polish up his route tree and not just rely on running routes fast.

7. Deebo Samuel South Carolina - Very similar to AJ Brown in terms of size and speed. Samuel has good hands and catches the ball well in traffic. With his size he doesn't shy away from contact which makes him a good open field runner after the catch. He lacks the top end speed and quickness to separate from college defensive backs, but does a nice job of settling in the open zone.

8. Hakeem Butler Iowa St. Rare combination of size, speed and athleticism. He also has huge hands. Big play receiver that relies on his physical attributes to make spectacular plays. Not a polished route runner and is very slow on his cuts and breaks. His hands are also a relative question mark.

Tier 3
9. Riley Ridley Georgia - Similar build and athleticism as his brother who led all rookies in TD grabs, and yards in 2018. His below average combine will make teams shy away, but he runs polished routes and has very good hands. Speed isn't everything but his lack of initial quickness may be another red flag.

10. Jalen Hurd Baylor - former running back at Tennessee that was used all over the field for the Bears last season. He is a tremendous athlete that realized his potential at the next level was at receiver. He presents some unique options for NFL offensive coordinators, you can use him in the slot, on the boundry, or in the backfield. For only playing receiver one year in college he runs good routes and has above average hands. He will be a sleeper on draft day.

Others: JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Mecole Hardman, Miles Boykin, Andy Isabella, Terry, McClaurin

Sparkey
04-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Wide Receiver- Very deep class of receiver where there will more guys in the top tier than the 3rd tier. The weird thing is, there is a heck of a lot of talent in this group but no player with a clean resume. Their is potential of a bust with every one of these guys.

Tier 1
1. DK Metcalf Ole Miss- I really struggle to put his name on the top of this list, but if I was a GM that needed a receiver I would put his name down to be drafted first. His boom/bust potential is the biggest I have seen at this position in a long time.

2.Parris Campbell Ohio St - Perfect slot receiver, he has the right size and his combine numbers were phenomenal. He played in weird offense at OSU that doesn't usually translate to the pros, he only ran a handful of routes.

3. AJ Brown Ole Miss - A heavily built slot receiver with good feet. His combine numbers were slightly above average, but his on field production is tops for this class. Brown has NFL ready hands and will have the bulk to attack the ball on contested throws.

4. N'Keal Harry Arizona St.- Reminds me a little bit of Davante Adams. He isn't going to run away from defensive backs but that's ok because he will make his mark in the NFL catching contested passes. Good open field vision and the best blocker in this group. His lack of explosive athletic traits will be a huge question mark as he transitions to the Pros.

Tier 2
5. Marquise Brown Oklahoma - I wouldn't draft him in the first two rounds. He is an explosive fast twitch athlete that gets to top speed quickly and can run his routes at top speed, but he is just too small and I can't see him surviving big open field hits after he catches the ball. It's the new NFL where guys are protected, but once he becomes a runner all bets are off. If he was 20 pounds heavier I would say he is a no question 1st rounder. Still might be.

6. Emanuel Hall Missouri - Hall is a smooth strider that makes the deep ball look easy. He had a very good combine, long arms and big hands and a phenomenal verticle at 43". Halls film is good, although he needs to polish up his route tree and not just rely on running routes fast.

7. Deebo Samuel South Carolina - Very similar to AJ Brown in terms of size and speed. Samuel has good hands and catches the ball well in traffic. With his size he doesn't shy away from contact which makes him a good open field runner after the catch. He lacks the top end speed and quickness to separate from college defensive backs, but does a nice job of settling in the open zone.

8. Hakeem Butler Iowa St. Rare combination of size, speed and athleticism. He also has huge hands. Big play receiver that relies on his physical attributes to make spectacular plays. Not a polished route runner and is very slow on his cuts and breaks. His hands are also a relative question mark.

Tier 3
9. Riley Ridley Georgia - Similar build and athleticism as his brother who led all rookies in TD grabs, and yards in 2018. His below average combine will make teams shy away, but he runs polished routes and has very good hands. Speed isn't everything but his lack of initial quickness may be another red flag.

10. Jalen Hurd Baylor - former running back at Tennessee that was used all over the field for the Bears last season. He is a tremendous athlete that realized his potential at the next level was at receiver. He presents some unique options for NFL offensive coordinators, you can use him in the slot, on the boundry, or in the backfield. For only playing receiver one year in college he runs good routes and has above average hands. He will be a sleeper on draft day.

Others: JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Mecole Hardman, Miles Boykin, Andy Isabella, Terry, McClaurin

Really like your player breakdowns. I have watched "highlights" of some of these guys and a guy you do not have listed that intrigues me is Demarkus Lodge. He seems to have the ability to contort his body to adjust to a pass without losing his balance or stride.

run pMc
04-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Really like your player breakdowns. I have watched "highlights" of some of these guys and a guy you do not have listed that intrigues me is Demarkus Lodge. He seems to have the ability to contort his body to adjust to a pass without losing his balance or stride.

Have also seen a lot of mention of Kelvin Harmon, WR for NC State.

theeaterofshades
04-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

I really am digging David Sills (West Virginia) WR in the later rounds

Upnorth
04-17-2019, 03:38 PM
I think I would like to see us get JJ Arcega-Whiteside. He has great hands and a good catch radius. Rodgers likes a dependable receiver. To me that is a good pairing. Is there any chance he could be available in the third?

Fritz
04-18-2019, 11:29 AM
As for the thread, I appreciate Nutz's close analysis, which I will rely upon so if the Packers draft one of those guys, I will at least recognize the name.

As for Bush, he's a good sideline-to-sideline, aggressive linebacker, but he has a hard time getting off of blocks.

I don't know that I see him as the 12th best player in the draft. I mean, I think he can be a very good NFL player, but he does need guys to keep him clean. He's willing to stick his nose in there, too, although he can be overly aggressive and commit stupid penalties.

jklowan
04-18-2019, 11:32 AM
sometimes you have to reach, the drop off after him is steep and GB needs to upgrade that position in this draft as there are no other options with FA/cap space. i think he will be worth the reach. We need a LB that drop into coverage imho

Fritz
04-18-2019, 12:06 PM
sometimes you have to reach, the drop off after him is steep and GB needs to upgrade that position in this draft as there are no other options with FA/cap space. i think he will be worth the reach. We need a LB that drop into coverage imho

I disagree on this point. Reaching is always (I know, that's a strong word) a bad idea, because you can't predict how a season will go. For example, you think you're just one ILB away from the playoffs or Super Bowl, so you reach. The safety/tight end/whatever position you passed on goes to another team after you picked, but you got your "reach." Then, part way through training camp, your starting safety/tight end/whatever goes down, and you sure could use that other guy who's actually better than the one you drafted - and is now a position of "need."

Happens all the time in the NFL. Don't reach. You really want a different guy so bad, then try to trade up.

jklowan
04-18-2019, 12:20 PM
agreed but this draft is unique in the fact that there is depth at every position we need except ILB. There are maybe 3 NFL caliber ILB

safety/tight end/OT/Guard/RB/DL & Espicially WR have decent depth this, I am on the reach for this ILB as I do not think 12 is much of a reach for BUSH, he will not make it past 20 and he may infact go before 12

Deputy Nutz
04-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Tight Ends: This a is a pretty deep group with a solid top three guys.

Tier 1
1. TJ Hockenson Iowa- Top TE prospect for his ability to block and also stretch the field. He is athletic and long and can make plays after the catch. Outside of his 4.7 forty he had a very good combine with numbers that compare to the top WRs in this class.

2. Noah Fant Iowa - Probably the best slot type TE in the draft. He put up numbers at the combine that are terrific which should have moved him up draft boards. Fants struggles come as an inline blocker. He is willing but doesn't have the aggressive nature or the lower body strength needed to block a defensive end.

3. Irv Smith Alabama- Sort of the forgotten man, but before the combine he was considered more like the #1 tight end in this group. He could flourish in an H-back role. He is a decent to good lead and kick out blocker and can turn a dump off pass into a solid gain. Smith is simply not as long or as athletic as the two Hawkeyes in front of him.

Tier 2
4. Dawson Knox Ole' Miss - A good combination of pass catcher and inline blocker. He is another long option at TE. He played with explosive players around him at Ole' Miss and was still one of the top options as a receiver.

5. Kahale Warring San Diego St - He was a sleeper in many draft conversations until just recently. He played at a mid-major college and lacked experience at the prep level as he played multiple sports. He has a large frame, he is working on his inline blocking, and he looks like a young Gronk catching the ball in traffic.

Tier 3
6. Drew Sample, Washington - More of a blocking type TE that teams will draft for his inline blocking skills and then let him develop as a pass catcher. Solid athlete that could easily become a weapon in the passing game.

7. Josh Oliver San Jose St. - Athletic big man that can create a mismatch in the seam. He can get up and high point the football. He shows decently as a run blocker.

8. Jace Sternberger Texas A&M - He is a solid athlete, but there are better athletes on this list that can catch the ball as well as him. He gives effort as a blocker but he needs to get much stronger in the lower half.

9. Foster Moreau LSU - Doesn't do anything particularly outstanding, but he doesn't everything well. He does catch the ball very well in traffic and will make tough catches going to the ground. Not much of a passing catching threat at LSU.

10. Kaden Smith Stanford - ran a poor forty time at the combine, but he has the size to make up for it. Decent blocker, and can be a target over the middle, but he isn't going to run away from anyone.

Fritz
04-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Nutz, thanks for all your work here.

To me, I'd go along with the conventional thinking - you can teach a guy to block, but you can't teach him speed. So do your homework and figure out who's got the best athleticism combined with a willing attitude as a blocker. If you're lucky, the first year the kid watches and learns behind Graham and Lewis and maybe even Tonyan.

Would I pick Hockenson at #12? I'm not sure he's the twelfth-best player in the land, so probably not. I also like Fant's speed better, but I don't know if Fant is willing to block or if he'll pussyfoot his way around. Again, I don't pay attention like I used to, so I trust Nutz's judgement on these players. I'd be happy with one of those tier two guys if they're best on the board in the third round.

pbmax
04-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Nutz, thanks for all your work here.

To me, I'd go along with the conventional thinking - you can teach a guy to block, but you can't teach him speed. So do your homework and figure out who's got the best athleticism combined with a willing attitude as a blocker. If you're lucky, the first year the kid watches and learns behind Graham and Lewis and maybe even Tonyan.

Would I pick Hockenson at #12? I'm not sure he's the twelfth-best player in the land, so probably not. I also like Fant's speed better, but I don't know if Fant is willing to block or if he'll pussyfoot his way around. Again, I don't pay attention like I used to, so I trust Nutz's judgement on these players. I'd be happy with one of those tier two guys if they're best on the board in the third round.

Its an open question whether LaFleur really wants an end line blocker or a slot/Hback type. A do everything type helps disguise your intent. But you have to make the base offense work first I would think.

texaspackerbacker
04-19-2019, 10:49 AM
I'm not real thrilled about either of the two Iowa boys - or Irv Smith either. I can't help thinking, there is some "project" type out there that we could pick up in the 3rd to 5th round that could learn behind Graham and Lewis for a year or two and then end up better than any of those three supposed top tier TEs.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2019, 12:18 PM
It is a pretty solid group of TEs. The Packers don't have to be desperate and pick one of the top tier guys. They committed to two veterans again this season with a hefty overall price tag. They could roll the dice. draft one of the top guys and see if they are ready to start and then cut Graham or Lewis as the season grows near. That would be a bold move, and not one that I would gamble on.

Deputy Nutz
04-19-2019, 03:37 PM
Quarterbacks: Overall I am not real impressed with the 2019 group of Qbs. There are so many question marks with these guys. It seems like the first tier guys would have all been late first round picks or second round picks last year.

Tier 1
1.Kyle Murray - I am not quite sure, how he would be considered the number one selection to a team that just spent a first round pick on the position the year before. He is stellar athlete, but his arm strength is just good, and his size and build will always be a question mark for me. Russell Wilson was a very well built guy even though he was 5'11", and I think Wilson has a stronger arm.

2. Dwayne Haskins - Protypical size and more athletic than what scouts are giving him credit for. His forty time was below standard, but he is strongly built QB that can stay in the pocket and make plays with his arm.

Tier 2
3. Daniel Jones Duke - Jones relies on his mechanics and would fit well with a controlled passing game attack. He has a good football IQ and has better athleticism than you would imagine a QB from Duke would have. His best quality is his accuracy.

4. Drew Lock Missouri - Overall he might have the most pro potential out of all these guys but his lack of accuracy is an issue and at times can be turnover prone. He is also susceptible to pressure and he might not have the nerve to stand in the pocket to make the correct throw.

5. Clayton Thorson Northwestern - He had or has a ton of potential that never materialized in college. The potential is still there and he is one of the better pure passers in this class. I think he struggled with the lack of talent around him at Northwestern, but never managed to elevate the talent.

6. Ryan Finley NC St - He might just be a game manager at the next level. He doesn't make a lot of forced mistakes against lower competition but against the tougher teams in the ACC he struggled to move the football through the air. He needs to improve strength.

Tier 3
7. Jarrett Stidham Auburn - Had a much more productive and confident year in 2017 than 2018. His arm strength his quality and he can scramble with the best of them. He will fight for the extra yards. He has all the physical qualities you need in a QB, his mental make up is what is questionable.

8. Tyree Jackson Buffalo - Boom or bust type pick. Huge upside for this 6'7" quarterback with a strong arm. He will survive in the NFL if he can pick up the offense and can refine some of his accuracy issues and improve his decision making presnap and post snap.

9. Will Grier West Virginia - played in a wide open system at UWV. Showed that he can complete passes at a 65% clip in college, but his lack of big time arm talent might regulate him to a clip board holder for most of his career. Good on the field leader, but has made some questionable choices off the field.

10. Jake Dolegala Central Connecticut St. - Interesting prospect that has elite size and NFL arm strength but played against watered down competition and his surrounding talent was subpar. Time and development will be the key.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Offensive tackles: I think this is a really solid group of guys without any clear cut standout or number one guy. I like the depth of these guys.

Tier 1
1. Jonah Williams Alabama - There is some back and forth with where he would be best suited to play in the NFL. I think he has solid feet and quality technique, best run blocker at tackle. He could be a solid left tackle and a stand out right tackle.

2. Andre Dillard Washington St. - Best overall pass blockers in this class. Large athletic kid that moves extremely well. Questions arise in how dominant he could be in the run game.

3. Jawan Taylor Florida - Large athletic kid, and relies heavily on his athleticism and feet. He is not a technician by any means, and is a back bender, not a knee bender. Pad level could be an issue with him.

4. Dalton Risner Kansas St - Might be the most flexible player in this draft at the oline position. He can play right tackle, guard, or center. he is sort of a mauler, but does a nice job squaring up his shoulders and walling off the rusher. Active in the run game as well. He is just not the athlete the other guys a head of him are.

Tier 2
5. Cody Ford Oklahoma - Right tackle at the college level, but he might be better at guard in the NFL, but his positional flexibility might be his quickest way in the starting lineup.

6. Greg Little Mississippi - Has all the fluidity and bend to be an outstanding player at the next level, but seems to be a little weak in the lower body and struggles to recover when rushers get into his chest. Zone blocking is in his wheel house, more than aggressive power run scheme.

7. Tytus Howard Alabama St - Developmental prospect but with loads of athletic ability and size. He needs to refine his technique and improve skill level under the tutelage of NFL caliber coaches, but the guy has the most upside in the draft. He also needs to work on lower body strength.

8. Kaleb McQary Washington - He needs to improve his lower body leg strength and his footwork has serious issues. His upper body strength is damn good, he can unsettle a pass rush with one of the better hand punches in the draft. Aggressive ball player that finishes in the run game.

Tier 3
9. Max Sharping Northern Illinois - 52 game starter in college. He started all games at right tackle and left tackle in college. He might not have the best footwork and balance for left tackle when handling straight speed rushes. He is a more of a mauler, he wants to get his hands on rushers and and drive them out of the picture. Pretty good reaching the second level in the run game.

10. Bobby Evans Oklahoma - He is an aggressive attacking style offensive lineman, but struggles with pad level and dropping his height by bending his knees. He can move a little bit and can reach the second level, but he needs to break down and wall off his block.

Fritz
04-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Nutz, of the guys on your list, which would you be happy to take at #12?

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Dillard and Jonah Williams at 12,

Taylor, Ford, and Risner at 30. All three would be a steal at 30.

Deputy Nutz
04-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Safeties: I didn't differentiate on free or strong. This is a very strong group of safeties. I don't see a lot of them going early in the first round, maybe a couple late first round picks. My feeling is once one goes off the board you will see a string of them go off the board.

Tier 1
1. Chauncy Gardner-Johnson Florida - One of the only guys that can have multiple purposes. He can cover the slot while playing the run, or he could be a single high safety in a cover 3 set. He has a lot of flexibility is what I am saying. Concerns, needs to commit to watching more film and not rely on his athletic ability.

2. Darnell Savage Maryland - When he plays under control he might be the best safety in this class. He was a standout on a less than stellar Maryland squad. He can cover the slot, and play over the top. He had an unbelievable combine and could be the most athletic safety in this draft.

3. Johnathan Abrams Mississippi St. - Top of the line in the box safety that could be a nickel back that adds size to the front seven but also adds coverage abilities. He won't be the first guy you pick to cover the deep middle.

4. Nasir Adderley Delaware - I am just not sure where he will fit in as a first year player due to his level of competition in college. Played inconsistent as a safety and his size and speed might just be better suited to playing corner or nickel back in the NFL. Explosive athlete on the field that can go and high point the ball as a defender. Needs put in time off the field to be a better player.

5. Juan Thornhill Virginia - Super athletic safety that crushed the combine, and put him on the map. Has better cover skills than the majority of safeties in this draft. Flexibility will be the key for this guy. He needs to be more consistent with his tackling.

Tier 2
6. Deionte Thompson Alabama - Seems raw on film and needs to attack the football better. He has good workout numbers but they don't always translate on the field and needs to improve his instincts to get remarkable faster on the field. He is a boom bust pick for any team that drafts him and has patients for him to develop.

7. Taylor Rapp Washington - He would be higher on this list but he had a poor pro day and now teams have to go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate him. He has some of the best film out there and doesn't seem to play with a 4.77 forty time, but it is what it is. Teams that take the risk on drafting him will get a heck of a football player. Hard hitter, that also understands team defense in the run game and heady in coverage.

8. Amani Hooker Iowa - Typical Iowa defensive back. Good size, good coachability, sturdy, he is a better athlete than Joshua Jackson. Even though he had quality combine numbers he doesn't always look fluid in coverage and might have to play over the slot and support the run game as the 7th player in the box.

Tier 3
9. Jaquan Johnson Miami - Great leader and tackler. He lacks size and top end speed but still manages to tackle very well in the open field. He will struggle against tight ends and over the top coverage. He needs to improve his ball skills as well. High quality character guy.

10. Marquise Blair Utah - He can cover ground in the deep secondary with an easy fluidity, and can be trusted in two high, single high, and in the box. He is as aggressive you get even to a fault. He plays with a high motor and good ball tracking skills. Fights off blocks better than any in the box safety. Where Blair struggles is staying under control in support of the run game, he gets unneeded penalties for targeting. The truth is, he loves the violence of the game.

Others: Mike Edwards Kentucky, Evan Worthington Colorado, Marvell Tell USC, Sheldrick Redwine Miami OH,

HarveyWallbangers
04-23-2019, 11:11 AM
I haven't watched much "film" this year, but guys I like are Finley and Stidham at QB, Campbell at WR, Knox and Warring at TE, Wilkins at DT, Jackson at OLB, Savage and Adderley at S. Dillard is my top OL.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Edge Rushers: Whether this is a defensive end or a a rush OLB I will rank them here. Top heavy group, where talent goes down hill quickly after the top few guys.

Tier 1
1. Nick Bosa DE Ohio St - Bosa is a down rusher and I wouldn't want to see a team use him any other way. He has a great explosion off the snap and wins most of the battles he has because of how fast he gets out of his stance. He has several different rush moves that he combine to also rush the passer and give offensive tackles fits. Quick change of direction helps him play the run just as well.

2. Clelin Ferrell DE/OLB Clemson - Young player coming into this draft and physically hasn't fully developed, but he is a student of the game and uses great and violent hands. Ran a below average 40 at his Pro Day (4.8) which I think has him falling in the first round by the draft experts. I think he has good change of direction, decent feet and a good motor. He needs to add strength to his lower body.

3. Brian Burns OLB Florida St - He has to play OLB at the next level, he doesn't have the frame to play DE in the NFL as an every down player. At this point I would characterize him as a speed rusher with the potential to develop other aspects of his game. He has a tremendous motor and is a high energy kid.

4. Josh Allen OLB Kentucky - Only true outside linebacker in this group. Has a chiseled physique and with a great combine he is now rated as a top 5 player. He can rush the passer, play the run, and drop in to coverage. My biggest question with him are his instincts and whether or not he plays just on his athleticism or does he watch film to help his recognition skills? To me he is still sort of a project with a really high ceiling and no basement.

Tier 2
5. Montez Sweat DE Mississippi St - Tall defensive end that absolutely crushed the combine with a very rare combination of size and speed. I didn't see the athleticism translate on film all the time. He is what I call a peeker. He needs to see whats going on in the backfield to gain knowledge instead of reading the tackles block. That recognition takes time, and by the time he realizes what is happening the offensive tackle has engulfed him. He doesn't have much for secondary pass rush moves. He runs very stiff and looks awkward on film when he is in chase mode.

6. Rashan Gary DE Michigan - Gary has all the physical traits you look for in a defensive end and then more. His biggest question mark during the draft process is his lack of production on film. He might have been playing out of position as a DT, but for the number 1 rated high school player you wouldn't think it would slow his production that much. His motor has serious question marks, but his ability and potential are sky high.

7. Chase Winovich DE/OLB Michigan - Tweener. Teams will have to find out if he can play in space or if he will best be suited as an undersized defensive end. High motor kid that works extremely hard at playing the game of football. Great combine shot him up the draft boards, which in a way confirmed that he just doesn't get by on his motor that there is a good athlete under all that hair.

Tier 3
8. Jaylon Ferguson DE/OLB Louisiana Tech - He is the all time leader in sacks at the NCAA level. He had 26 tackles for a loss last season, but when he went against offensive tackles at the senior bowl his pass rush was nullified. He has the size to play as a down end in the NFL. Needs to play with better pad level and improve his counter attack.

9.Oshane Ximines OLB/DE Old Dominion - Small school kid which brings forth a lot of questions about how he can match up against NFL caliber talent. He has the size you are looking for but he had a less than ideal combine that raised question about his athleticism. So the small school competition and the athleticism are issues that teams are going to struggle with. On film he does a decent job of rushing the passer with several pass rushing moves. He doesn't rely on just one or two moves. He has quality hands and is agile enough with his feet. The negative on film is that he needs to anchor better against the run and not get engulfed by offensive linemen.

10. LJ Collier DE Texas Christian - Great anchor and has some of the best violent hands in the draft. He has exceptionally long arms and hand size considering his height. Has great recognition skills pre snap and can gain an edge rushing the passer. I would like to see him get off the snap quicker and play with better bend in the lower body.

Others: Austin Bryant Clemson, Charles Omenthihu Texas, D'Andre Walker Georgia, Christian Miller Alabama.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2019, 11:21 AM
dp

bobblehead
04-23-2019, 11:25 AM
I'm not real thrilled about either of the two Iowa boys - or Irv Smith either. I can't help thinking, there is some "project" type out there that we could pick up in the 3rd to 5th round that could learn behind Graham and Lewis for a year or two and then end up better than any of those three supposed top tier TEs.

Best I can surmise from all your posts combined is that we should trade down to own the 3rd round and draft 30 projects cuz you don't like anyone in the top 50.

Fritz
04-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Funny, Bobble, I was just thinking this morning about the efficacy of doing more-or-less the opposite: Packaging picks to move up and get as many top-round players as possible. I started wondering about whether anyone's looked at probowlers recently and in what round they were drafted. What percentage of a given set of pro bowl players in, say, 2018, were first rounders? Second rounders? And so on. If it turns out, as you'd imagine it would, that the vast majority of pro bowlers are first and second round picks, the would it behoove you as a GM to try to trade up into those rounds as much as possible, looking for surer quality rather than quantity? Could you have a draft of, say, four or maybe five players, and fill in the rest with UDFA's? Could you build a team using the theory that, like NBA basketball, you need a few top-notch players, and the rest can be fill-ins?

Of course it would carry risk - you bust on a few top picks, you're screwed - but you could argue that loading up with multiple picks may mean you're only getting more chum. For every Donald Driver there are twenty Ronnie McAdas.

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Running Back - For mostly Packer fans your interest would be in the lower half of these guys if any interest at all. Not a very deep class with only one back considered in the first round.

Tier 1
1. Josh Jacobs RB, Alabama - Split time in the backfield with two other NFL caliber running backs at Alabama. Runs behind his pads with good change of direction. He doesn't have the top end speed of some of the elite backs in previous drafts. He does everything well but nothing spectacular.

2. Miles Sanders RB, Penn St - He had to sit behind Barkley until 2018. He had one year to shine and he was a bright spot for the Lions. Works better in a power scheme that lets him see the development of his blockers. He has the speed to slash through holes and get to the second level. With most of the college backs he needs to work on his pass pro.

Tier 2
3. Damien Harris RB Alabama - One of the very few walk-ons at Alabama that has been successful seeing the field and competing at a high level taking snaps away from 5 star recruits. He doesn't have that juice to break away from pursuit, but he does offer the ability to be a three down back in the NFL. He isn't a big risk taker and will happily take what the defense will give him

4. Darrell Henderson RB Memphis - He wants the home run. He wants to break spectacular runs and it might be his downfall at the next level as he doesn't have the best vision and defenses play much faster in the NFL. He has good change of direction and cutting ability. Slightly undersized.

5. David Montgomery RB Iowa St. - Big and impatient runner at times that needs to improve his vision. Tends to run up the back of his blockers. He is a grinder that has good feet, but isn't a threat to turn the corner.

Tier 3
6. Rodney Anderson RB Oklahoma - He is coming off a knee injury but has the size you want for an NFL back. He has good hips and decent one cut ability to be a grinder in the NFL. He has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield but his upside might be limited to a situational or one to two series per game back in the NFL

7. Dexter Williams RB Notre Dame - Talented back with some poor choices off the field nothing major but enough to question his commitment. He has decent size and likes to get behind his blockers and then make his cut at the second level. Smooth and bit slippery, but like almost every back in this draft he doesn't have the break away speed that you are looking for when comparing him to an elite back.

8. Justice Hill RB Oklahoma St. Undersized back that can run a 4.4 forty so he has the ability to cut the corner. He has great vision but it can get him in trouble with too much dancing in the backfield at times. He could excel at the next level as a change of pace back and improving his hands will make him valuable on third down, but not as a blocker.

9. Devin Singletary RB FAU - His film and combine numbers don't seem to match up. He was an explosive back on the college scene, one of the more difficult runners for defenses to bring down especially in the open field. He has great vision and can see defenders coming at him. His feet are really good on film. Likes to pass block and will deliver a blow.

10. Elijah Holyfield RB Georgia - Son of Evander Holyfield. His draft stock was high before the combine but then he ran a miserable 4.9 forty and teams had to take step back. He clocked a 4.78 forty at his pro day with a lifeless 29" vertical. That puts him in the 4% of back in the NFL, not great company. His film on the other hand shows a durable back with really good vision and the ability to press the second level. He has good feet and hips, but his lack of athleticism will scare off teams.

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Interior defensive linemen: Whether they are nose tackles, 3 techs, or even a 5 tech it is how I differentiate them from being an edge rusher from an interior defensive lineman.

Tier 1
1. Ed Oliver DT Houston -Oliver has elite level ball get off and pad level. He is considered undersized by some but the fact that he is drawing comparisons to Aaron Donald speaks volumes about his potential at the next level.

2. Quinnen Williams DT Alabama - Easily can be considered the number 1 defensive tackle in this draft if not the best overall prospect. Rare combination of size, strength, and quickness. I would like to see him develop a counter move to his swim technique, but if ain't broke don't fix it.

Tier 2
3. Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi St. - He might over the best value in this draft after tearing his ACL in preparation for the draft. Some team will decide to draft him and wait for him to heal up and they will have a top five player in the 2019 draft. Off field issues are a distraction for scouts and franchises, and he has a lower basement than both Williams and Oliver.

4. Dexter Lawerence DT Clemson - Massive human that takes up space and can be unmovable at times. He did receive a suspension for PEDs, but who cares this is the NFL. He is more athletic than what people will give him credit for and he can move his 340 pounds better than most 300 pound defensive tackles. He has the ability to pressure from the middle. Perfect 3-4 nose tackle.

5. Christian Wilkins DT Clemson - More of prototypical 3 technique tackle. He doesn't quite have the jump off the ball as Williams or Oliver but he is relatively close to those guys. He could be a guy that could play all three downs on the inside, he has the ability and agility to put pressure on the QB and has good read and reaction skills.

6. Jerry Tillery DT Notre Dame - Tallest frame of the bunch and could be a prototypical 4 or 5 technique in a 3-4 front. Like most tall defensive tackles he loses when his pad level gets high and linemen get into his chest, but when his pad level is good and he gets hands on he can be devastating at the point of attack. His movement off the snap can be too slow at times and this will effect his ability to battle interior linemen.

Tier 3
7. Dre'Mont Jones DT Ohio St. - Quick one gap tackle that needs to physically mature. He needs to add strength to his frame especially in his lower half. He will offer the ability to make dynamic plays but also he can get overwhelmed very quickly as well. Probably should have stayed in school one more year and matured.

8. Renell Wynn DT Arizona St. - His 6'5" 320 pound frame along with an exceptional combine will have him go earlier than his on field production demonstrates. He can fit any scheme, and the key for him to excel in the NFL will be his ability to learn and execute technique that will improve his feet and hands. He also needs to improve his pad level and play below the offensive line.

9. Armon Watts DT Arkansas - Another 6'5" 300 pound player that finally saw starter snaps as a senior and had a very productive year. Scouts are warming up to him as the day of the draft closes in. His biggest issues are his instincts and reading the run. These possibly could be correctable skills and if he can combo those skills with his quality hand punch and his ability to quickly disrupt and discard offensive linemen.

10. Khalen Sanders DT Western Illinois - Very agile and disruptive player in small school competition but he was able to impress those skills at the Senior Bowl. He would benefit from getting his body into better shape so he could have an impact all game long and strength so he doesn't get railroaded on double teams and down blocks. His height (6'0") could also hinder him.

texaspackerbacker
04-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Best I can surmise from all your posts combined is that we should trade down to own the 3rd round and draft 30 projects cuz you don't like anyone in the top 50.

What makes you think that? I said I don't particularly want either of the Iowa TEs or the Alabama kid - just the position of TE that I'd rather get a "project" type. No way I want to have the Packers trade down in the first round. I want an ILB at #12 and probably an O Lineman at #30 - drafting according to need.

Fritz
04-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Interior defensive linemen: Whether they are nose tackles, 3 techs, or even a 5 tech it is how I differentiate them from being an edge rusher from an interior defensive lineman.

Tier 1
1. Ed Oliver DT Houston -Oliver has elite level ball get off and pad level. He is considered undersized by some but the fact that he is drawing comparisons to Aaron Donald speaks volumes about his potential at the next level.

2. Quinnen Williams DT Alabama - Easily can be considered the number 1 defensive tackle in this draft if not the best overall prospect. Rare combination of size, strength, and quickness. I would like to see him develop a counter move to his swim technique, but if ain't broke don't fix it.

Tier 2
3. Jeffery Simmons DT Mississippi St. - He might over the best value in this draft after tearing his ACL in preparation for the draft. Some team will decide to draft him and wait for him to heal up and they will have a top five player in the 2019 draft. Off field issues are a distraction for scouts and franchises, and he has a lower basement than both Williams and Oliver.

4. Dexter Lawerence DT Clemson - Massive human that takes up space and can be unmovable at times. He did receive a suspension for PEDs, but who cares this is the NFL. He is more athletic than what people will give him credit for and he can move his 340 pounds better than most 300 pound defensive tackles. He has the ability to pressure from the middle. Perfect 3-4 nose tackle.

5. Christian Wilkins DT Clemson - More of prototypical 3 technique tackle. He doesn't quite have the jump off the ball as Williams or Oliver but he is relatively close to those guys. He could be a guy that could play all three downs on the inside, he has the ability and agility to put pressure on the QB and has good read and reaction skills.

6. Jerry Tillery DT Notre Dame - Tallest frame of the bunch and could be a prototypical 4 or 5 technique in a 3-4 front. Like most tall defensive tackles he loses when his pad level gets high and linemen get into his chest, but when his pad level is good and he gets hands on he can be devastating at the point of attack. His movement off the snap can be too slow at times and this will effect his ability to battle interior linemen.

Tier 3
7. Dre'Mont Jones DT Ohio St. - Quick one gap tackle that needs to physically mature. He needs to add strength to his frame especially in his lower half. He will offer the ability to make dynamic plays but also he can get overwhelmed very quickly as well. Probably should have stayed in school one more year and matured.

8. Renell Wynn DT Arizona St. - His 6'5" 320 pound frame along with an exceptional combine will have him go earlier than his on field production demonstrates. He can fit any scheme, and the key for him to excel in the NFL will be his ability to learn and execute technique that will improve his feet and hands. He also needs to improve his pad level and play below the offensive line.

9. Armon Watts DT Arkansas - Another 6'5" 300 pound player that finally saw starter snaps as a senior and had a very productive year. Scouts are warming up to him as the day of the draft closes in. His biggest issues are his instincts and reading the run. These possibly could be correctable skills and if he can combo those skills with his quality hand punch and his ability to quickly disrupt and discard offensive linemen.

10. Khalen Sanders DT Western Illinois - Very agile and disruptive player in small school competition but he was able to impress those skills at the Senior Bowl. He would benefit from getting his body into better shape so he could have an impact all game long and strength so he doesn't get railroaded on double teams and down blocks. His height (6'0") could also hinder him.

Nutz, after the draft is over, would you consider listing the Packers' picks, followed by these brief write-ups you've done? I'd be really curious to see those in conjunction with the guys the Packers actually end up drafting.

Carolina_Packer
04-24-2019, 11:16 AM

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

I like Arcega-Whiteside and would rate him higher than you have him listed. His 50/50 ball, contested catch, and route running skill set is intriguing. I could see him forming back shoulder throw chemistry with Rodgers, and also being able to make plays to move the chains with his large frame. I also think he could last until the 3rd or 4th round, and I'd sign up for him in a heart beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw2Q77GeVkg

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2019, 11:32 AM
I think he is a pretty good player, nothing to argue with you about. All of these guys will be gone by the start of round 4, so I think we will be splitting hairs anyways.

texaspackerbacker
04-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Are you gonna put one of these together for Kickers?

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2019, 07:59 AM
Are you gonna put one of these together for Kickers?
Absolutely not.

Joemailman
04-25-2019, 08:05 AM
Absolutely not.

Come on Nutz. We need to know who the 10th best kicker in the draft is. Those kickers could go pretty early.

bobblehead
04-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Funny, Bobble, I was just thinking this morning about the efficacy of doing more-or-less the opposite: Packaging picks to move up and get as many top-round players as possible. I started wondering about whether anyone's looked at probowlers recently and in what round they were drafted. What percentage of a given set of pro bowl players in, say, 2018, were first rounders? Second rounders? And so on. If it turns out, as you'd imagine it would, that the vast majority of pro bowlers are first and second round picks, the would it behoove you as a GM to try to trade up into those rounds as much as possible, looking for surer quality rather than quantity? Could you have a draft of, say, four or maybe five players, and fill in the rest with UDFA's? Could you build a team using the theory that, like NBA basketball, you need a few top-notch players, and the rest can be fill-ins?

Of course it would carry risk - you bust on a few top picks, you're screwed - but you could argue that loading up with multiple picks may mean you're only getting more chum. For every Donald Driver there are twenty Ronnie McAdas.

You can find talent all over the draft, but undoubtedly your chances are best in top 3 rounds. The reason TT took so many OL in the 4/5th is because those guys are still developing and you can get some steals that aren't as apparent at age 22. If possible I wouldn't mind packaging a few picks to get back into the middle of the 2nd for 4 picks in the top 50. If moving from 12 to 15 with the first pick helps that then so be it. A lot of good WR and S help available early in the second and I think that would be worthwhile in this draft. So get an 2 quality players in 1st, maybe OL/Edge. Get WR/S in 2nd. If a TE falls it could alter that a bit, but where the value lines up I think those are viable scenarios. Every draft is different though. I do agree that I don't value 6th and 7th rounds much. I think the odds of landing quality goes way down from 2nd to 3rd and from 5th to 6th in general.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Interior offensive line - Packer fans should pay close attention to the interior line on this draft. It is a decent group with some guys that played tackle in college that will probably progress better in the NFL at guard.

Tier 1
1. Chris Linstrom G Boston College: Boston College is a run heavy offense and Linstrom did a phenomenal job staying low and keeping his head up which leads to him winning the leverage battle with defensive linemen. He can get out to the second level and get hands on linebackers and wall them off. He has a good hand punch and keeps his ass underneath him in pass blocking sets. He doesn't get bull rushed.

2. Cody Ford G Oklahoma - I have him also listed at tackle, but he could flourish as a mauling type guard at the next level.

3. Garrett Bradbury C/G NC St. - He can play any of the interior positions, and can bump out to right tackle. He has some of the most athletic talent along the interior in this draft. He can get out and move due to having quick feet and taking the right steps to get up field blocks in the run game. He isn't a mauler but plays with leverage. Perfect player for zone heavy team.

4. Erik McCoy C/G Texas A&M - Another interior guy that has great athleticism and could excel in a zone run scheme but absolutely has the power and technique to flourish in a gap system as well. He has a quick first step and excellent hand placement. He could manage all types of rushers in the pass set in college.

5. Elgton Jenkins C/G Mississippi - carbon copy of the other two guys listed above him. Talented kid with a little more size than McCoy and Bradbury. Has a great mind and understanding of blocking assignments, but the only knock on him is that he isn't as physical as he could be with his size.

Tier 2
6. Micheal Deiter G/C/T Wisconsin - He has position flexibility but he will be best suited playing guard in the NFL. Tall, but lacks length in the arms and that will hold him back a bit if a team would try him at tackle. Very good puller and can dominate once he reaches the second level. Strength is a concern as his technique and fluidity are good but he might struggle against quicker and stronger defensive linemen at the next level.

7. Nate Davis G/T NC Charlotte - Powerful blocker that has a strong upper body. He can move. Played a lot at tackle, but height and length deficancies will be major factor of him playing the inside in the NFL. He needs to work on his core and keeping his stance wide. He ends up on the ground too much and folds at the waist.

8. Dru Samia G Oklahoma - Tall and lean player. Weighs less than 300 pounds so he is not much of a mauler, but he gets by on good technique and getting his hands in the right place. Good functional strength but he does not possess that brute strength, needs to strengthen his lower half. Big defensive linemen will give him fits at the next level.

Tier 3
9. Conner McGovern G/C - Has good functional strength and athleticism, but gets sloppy with his technique at times. I would like to see him anchor a little harder in his pass set. He has a nasty demeanor, but needs better timing with his hands. He also needs to work on seeing defensive stunts develop in front of him.

10. Beau Benzschawel G/T - Tall at 6'6". He is more of a pass protection specialist with a really good anchor. In the run game he is at times limited by his size and needs to work on his flexibility and core. He ends up on the ground too often and has to give himself up by lunging and not getting great hand placement. He will need to prove that he can handle powerful defensive linemen in the run game.

Deputy Nutz
04-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Cornerbacks - this is probably the worst group of corners in quite some time. All of them have major flaws, most don't have that top end quick twitch speed that you are looking for in the position.

Tier 1
1. Greedy Williams CB LSU - The best cover corner in the draft with the ability to play solid man to man defense in the NFL. The knock this guy is that he doesn't want to tackle anyone. Defensive coordinators hate that.

2. Byron Murphy CB Washington - Strong run defender that teams might use to cover the slot to use him as the seventh man in the box to support the run. He doesn't have that deep speed that you are looking for in a corner back on the outside.

3. Amani Oruwariye CB Penn St - Long and solid at 6'2" and over 200 pounds and has a sub 4.5 forty which normally wouldn't be that big of deal but this group is slow. Uses his height well in jump ball situations and can physically take receivers out at the line. The 5 yard contact rule might have negative impact on his game.

4. Deandre Baker CB Georgia - Not overly fast but has honed his skills well. He does a nice job staying balanced and recognizing route patterns. He could excel in a zone scheme with cover 2 principles that would allow him to be physical with receivers on the line.

5. Julian Love CB Notre Dame - He does his best work when he can dictate at the line of scrimmage. He has good size but his track speed is limited and the deep ball or deep cross could be a problem in man coverage situations.

Tier 2
6. Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan - Needs to improve his instincts but the size and traits are optimal for an NFL corner.

7. Justin Layne CB Michigan St. - Extremely long corner that can use the sideline to his advantage. He has decent route recognition, but sometimes allows too much separation in routes. He will do well in 50/50 contest due to his length and jumping ability. Lacks the long the long speed.

8. Rock Ya-Sin CB Temple - His forty time was average for this group, his vertical was good, and his three cone was below average. His technique is lacking but has the right intangibles that teams can work with.

Tier 3
9. Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson - Needs to build up his technique base and skills. His physicality and size makes up for most of his deficiencies in the college game, but NFL coaches are going to need to really work with him on spacing and route recognition.

10. Isaiah Johnson CB Houston - Tall corner that looks to disrupt receivers right away. Has the right combination of size and athleticism that makes scouts and coaches drool. He has to get a better understanding of route recognition and playing zone coverage. His footwork needs a lot of work.