PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs

Upnorth
04-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, If this thread should be in the romper room feel free to move it.

I just had to post how stunned I am that the lightning were swept by the blue jackets :whaa:

I'm a habs fan, so I am not invested in any remaining team in the east, outside of hoping the Bruins and leafs both lose in the first round (I know they are playing each other but I can hope right???). I have adopted the Winnipeg Jets for the last 3 years as my son is a fan of them and we occasionally go to there games. (2 in 3 years) Glad they tied the series up last night, and I have every expectation of them goin deep.

Still, the collapse of the lightning is basically unprecedented in my memory, can any one think of other epic nhl playoff collapses? I remember The capitols, who won the presidents trophy, losing in the first round to the habs about 10 years ago, but they at least won a couple games.

Joemailman
04-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Sure thought this would be the Lightning's year. I'm a Blackhawks fan, and I was so impressed with their young talent when they took the Blackhawks to 6 games in the Stanley Cup finals in 2016. Thought they's have a cup by now.

Tony Oday
04-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Wild fan here but now a Knights fan during the race to the cup!

jklowan
04-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Bruins fan here, things are lined up perfectly is they can just get through Toronto, last nites game was way closer than it needed to be.

gbgary
04-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Bruins fan here, things are lined up perfectly is they can just get through Toronto, last nites game was way closer than it needed to be.

me too. tor is very tough. they have more talent but the B's have...something lol. as long as bergy, pasta, and marchy can't really be stopped, and rask can hang, they might survive this series. tor really knows how to put on a blitz. #LetsGoBruins

jklowan
04-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Gonna come down to Fridays game, must win inho. If they loose friday the series is ohvah in my best boston accent

Fritz
04-18-2019, 11:26 AM
I've been waiting since 1967 to see the Leafs win a cup.

Waiting.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Hockey, eh? Sorry, I refuse to watch a sport that lacks colors.

I'd rather watch figure skating than hockey. The former, at least there's yellow. Hockey is whiter than the ice poles of Mars.

Guiness
04-18-2019, 08:21 PM

I just had to post how stunned I am that the lightning were swept by the blue jackets :whaa:

I'm a habs fan, so I am not invested in any remaining team in the east, outside of hoping the Bruins and leafs both lose in the first round (I know they are playing each other but I can hope right???). I have adopted the Winnipeg Jets for the last 3 years as my son is a fan of them and we occasionally go to there games. (2 in 3 years) Glad they tied the series up last night, and I have every expectation of them goin deep.

Still, the collapse of the lightning is basically unprecedented in my memory, can any one think of other epic nhl playoff collapses? I remember The capitols, who won the presidents trophy, losing in the first round to the habs about 10 years ago, but they at least won a couple games.

As a life long Edmonton fan, I don't want to hear any winging about missing the playoffs. How does a team with an Ross/Hart/Lindsay award winner miss the playoff time after time?

The collapse I best remember is the '81 Oilers team featuring the best player the game has ever seen Gretzky along with future hall of famers Messier, Fuhr, Coffey, Anderson and Kurri, not to mention Dr. Charlie Huddy lost to a bunch of scrappy nobodies from from California!

Upnorth
04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Start of a dynasty there guiness. I think they made up for it over the next few years.

Fritz, I hope you have to wait a lot longer for that leafs win.

I'm surprised that Calgary is struggling as much as they have been. A strong team that appeared to be well coached is making way to many errors at crunch time. Have to be stronger in front of their goalie

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 08:54 PM

This early exit for the Lightening and not winning any games is original after winning the NHL Regular Schedule Championship. That they lost to Columbus didn't shock me as I follow the Montreal Canadians and now a five decade fan. I'm wired into the Home of the HABS Radio TSN 690 AM.

Basically The Columbus Blue Jackets were in Playoff mode since their fine moves at the trading deadline.

This is a big man hard checking along the boards yet strong skating and skilled Roster that should be taken seriously. Their Fans are fantastic..that is very important. They waited 19 long years to finally be cheering for a team with some real stuff and a Playoff Series win.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have my attention.

woodbuck27
04-19-2019, 09:02 PM

The Maple Leafs just went ahead in their series with the Boston Bruins and sit 3 and 2 with an opportunity to wrap it come Easter Sunday.

Patler
04-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Did anyone else see the goal Pavelski scored off his face last week? Perfect deflection off his mouth. Report a couple days later was that he lost three teeth, might lose a fourth, and has four that are broken/cracked but likely can be saved in some form.

In true playoff fashion, he returned to the game in the next period, with a few stitches, badly swollen jaw and lip and full face shield on his helmet. He even gave an interview after the game; ugly, bloody, deformed mouth and all.

gbgary
04-20-2019, 12:50 PM
looking bleak for the B's.

Upnorth
04-21-2019, 04:35 PM
Caught the highlight of the face goal, hockey players are unbelievably tough.

My son is a bit upset about the jets loss last night. Two years in a row they have disappointed.

gbgary
04-21-2019, 09:15 PM
the B's survive another day.

gbgary
04-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Let's Go Bruins! https://ssl.gstatic.com/onebox/media/sports/logos/_KkOxoGjAn3S7_9-Z1d0OA_96x96.png

pbmax
04-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Bruins Blue Jackets game was out of control. Very fun to watch.

gbgary
05-13-2019, 11:41 AM
B's up 2-0 in the eastern final. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

pbmax
05-13-2019, 11:42 AM
B's up 2-0 in the eastern final. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Refs seem to have money on Boston.

gbgary
05-13-2019, 12:07 PM
i keep seeing/hearing that. game 2- bos had 4 penalties and car had 2. game 1- bos had 3 and car had 5. that's 7 a piece. some questionable on both sides. i think it's patriots/red-sox hate boiling over.

Joemailman
06-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Bruins up 3-0 after 1. Bad night for Binnington so far.

gbgary
06-06-2019, 06:51 PM
B's can go up 3-2 in the series with a W tonight. lots of red sox/patriots hate bleeding over to the B's on twitter.

Let's Go Bruins!

Cheesehead Craig
06-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Go Blues Go!

Radagast
06-07-2019, 03:03 AM
Go Blues Go!

GO BLUES GO !

:-)

gbgary
06-12-2019, 11:38 AM
game 7...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/willy_nilly.gif

Let's Go Bruins!

https://media.giphy.com/media/dGxTaeWePo9Qk/giphy.gif

Tony Oday
06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Hate both teams.

Radagast
06-12-2019, 12:39 PM
Hate both teams.

As you please, but a game 7, winner take all shootout is always fun to watch. Muck Boston, they have won enough lately in sports to suit me .

pbmax
06-12-2019, 12:45 PM
i keep seeing/hearing that. game 2- bos had 4 penalties and car had 2. game 1- bos had 3 and car had 5. that's 7 a piece. some questionable on both sides. i think it's patriots/red-sox hate boiling over.

The complaints I saw, and the one I witnessed, were a non call on mid ice contact. Similar hits had been called.

Upnorth
06-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Go Blues Go, mostly because Boston sucks, but I'm not highly invested im this series.

The series I am invested in is the 4 on 4 championship game this Saturday. My boy (11) is playing in it. Every game has been 1 goal, and Saturday is the final. So can I hear a
Go Predators Go? He plays D, but 4 on 4 is a faster game with lots of cycling of the players, so he does drive to the net a few times a game. Second smallest kid on the team, best at digging it out from the boards which is hilarious to watch. Because he is little he doesn't get penalized, A solid average player who needs a growth spurt but I am a vocally proud papa.

His winter league team lost in the last game for the championship, hope he can close this one out.

gbgary
06-12-2019, 05:05 PM
The complaints I saw, and the one I witnessed, were a non call on mid ice contact. Similar hits had been called.

the blues series has been bad penalty wise. the blues have had two players suspended a game each for cheap shots, they've fooled the refs several times with guys faking being tripped or being hit with sticks to draw penalties. thankfully their power play has sucked big-time and the B's has clicked or it would have been over by now. hopefully the refs aren't a factor tonight, with bad calls/non-calls, but it would be breaking a trend for that to happen.

Radagast
06-13-2019, 03:17 AM
It's called the
Stanley Cup Blues !

:glug:

Upnorth
06-15-2019, 10:57 PM
So my boys team are the Atom level champions!!!!!

gbgary
06-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Blues deserved it. gratz to them and their fans.