PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary workouts

Guiness
04-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Coughlin certainly stuck his foot in his mouth with the barely veiled thread that all players should be at voluntary workout. He's part of the old guard, and having coached the team closest to the NFL head offices I'm sure he has plenty of friend there, so I'm sure he'll get a stern talking to if anything, despite whatever fuss the NFLPA kicks up.

On a similar note, am I the only one that feels bonuses tied to attendance to optional offseason workouts should also not be allowed withing the scope of the current rules? Not saying the rules are right or wrong, just that as they are written, teams should not be allowed to work around them by tying money to the optional practices.

Fritz
04-19-2019, 08:55 AM
I like the idea of the Packers having some bag man handing out Ben Franklins in wads when the players show up for their voluntary workouts.

SudsMcBucky
04-19-2019, 08:58 AM
I like the idea of the Packers having some bag man handing out Ben Franklins in wads when the players show up for their voluntary workouts.

Only if the Packers switch from the NFL to the SEC.

Joemailman
04-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Tom Coughliin might want to shut up.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4dY_3MWsAEKdJx.jpg

Fritz
04-19-2019, 09:03 AM
Only if the Packers switch from the NFL to the SEC.

Suds, I always love your posts, even when I don't love what you write. That picture gets me every time.

MadScientist
04-19-2019, 09:14 AM

That's what workout bonuses are.

SudsMcBucky
04-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Suds, I always love your posts, even when I don't love what you write. That picture gets me every time.

Glad I can oblige. :)

Joemailman
04-19-2019, 11:39 AM
nm

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Is it wrong to say that if you skip them that others will gain valuable time and experience on you and you might be at a disadvantage to make the roster because of that?

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Is it wrong to say that if you miss ANY chance to elevate yourself or your team the coaching staff will frown on that? Is it ok to expect maximum effort to improve self and team from a guy you are paying a ton of money?

pbmax
04-21-2019, 09:30 AM
That is why voluntary workouts are poorly constructed.

Let's face it, they exist so the team can keep tabs on players who tend to get into trouble (eating or, let's say, adventurous hobbies). Gives them structure, and lets them workout with supervision. Coaches can't coach during this time. Its adult daycare. Its why vets hate them.

Professionals take care of themselves but the team has doubts about a certain number of players. If it was overall important, teams would pay. So the people that need to be convinced are owners, not players.

pbmax
04-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Do workout bonuses cover the voluntary portion?

Fritz
04-21-2019, 10:04 AM
That's what workout bonuses are.

I know, but it would be a lot more fun if they got handed out that way.

I think PB's right about what the purpose of these really is.