PDA

View Full Version : TT's finest moment as a Packer GM Drafting Aaron Rodgers was a fluke and reluctantly made.

woodbuck27
04-20-2019, 12:57 AM
Here's where to study the sources of this rather amazing account of that 2005 Draft and TT's first pick as the Green Bay Packers GM.

The source is a man on the scene or an eye witness and it's former Packer Management member Andrew Brandt.

I read ** the story posted about 9 PM tonight Good Friday , April 19, 2019

A. See Video of The Gary Vee Show and " Relive Aaron Rodgers' Unlikely Draft Day with Andrew Brandt. "

B. See YouTube and The Little Known Story Behind Aaron Rodgers Draft Day.

C. Read ** the story about what Andrew Brandt reveals to all and the fluke that was the Packer GM Ted Thompson's pick at No. 24 ( in his first Green Bay Packer Draft ). The story was posted tonight (see above) by Sports Writer Liz Gonzales of Barstool sports and entitled: So It Turns Out The Packers Also Didn't Want Rodgers On Draft Night?!?!

I zpologize for not being able to post LINKS.

Please someone else post the Links and Thank You.

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 07:50 AM
Aaron Rodgers was a good draft pick

QBME
04-20-2019, 10:43 AM
Horse.
Dead.
Beat.
Beat.
Beat.

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Horse.
Dead.
Beat.
Beat.
Beat.

Amen brother

Fritz
04-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Woody, you don't know the half of it. I read an "insiders" article (Bleacherreport) featuring two former high-ranking Packer scouts. They both tell the same tale - that Thompson was not going to take Rodgers, but one of the scouts got so angry he pulled his hunting rifle on Ted, who peed his pants and made the pick, literally, at gunpoint. The Packer brass and the Commish managed to hush it up. Thompson was embarrassed, so he then went all-in on Rodgers, and told MM to force Favre out, though Favre begged to stay - even offered to take a pay cut.

In fact, both sources say the only top picks Thompson ever made were AJ Hawk, Justin Harrell, DickRod, Damarious Randall.

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 11:12 AM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/84380649/take-me-to-talos-iv.jpg

woodbuck27
04-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Aaron Rodgers was a good draft pick

Sure he was and why didn't TT and the Packer Scouts eat it all up or jump all over the prize that was Aaron Rodgers? Instead we get the beginning of too much and lame ass managing with

This story actually amazes/ shocks me on a level of procrastination and slowness of mind that cannot exist in a GM and Pro Sports.

Yes amazing and utterly so. WHY?

This whole story reads like Fritz's (SEE THIS THREAD) or an April's Fools Joke.

woodbuck27
04-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Woody, you don't know the half of it. I read an "insiders" article (Bleacherreport) featuring two former high-ranking Packer scouts. They both tell the same tale - that Thompson was not going to take Rodgers, but one of the scouts got so angry he pulled his hunting rifle on Ted, who peed his pants and made the pick, literally, at gunpoint. The Packer brass and the Commish managed to hush it up. Thompson was embarrassed, so he then went all-in on Rodgers, and told MM to force Favre out, though Favre begged to stay - even offered to take a pay cut.

In fact, both sources say the only top picks Thompson ever made were AJ Hawk, Justin Harrell, DickRod, Damarious Randall.

Hahahaaha.
.I nominate you Packerrat Tale Teller All Time. I appreciate the satire us Canadians love that style of humour as it demands intelligence.

woodbuck27
04-20-2019, 12:01 PM
Amen brother

A poor response resembling 'denial'.

ThunderDan
04-20-2019, 12:51 PM
Horse.
Dead.
Beat.
Beat.
Beat.

Holy shit!!!!!!

Just let it die.

God, this is amazing,

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Sure he was and why didn't TT and the Packer Scouts eat it all up or jump all over the prize that was Aaron Rodgers?

They drafted him with their first pick. They sent Favre packing to start him in 2008.

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Wow going back and reviewing that draft a lot of teams messed up. Namely Houston and Washington. Washington selected Jason Campbell the pick after Rodgers was selected.

mraynrand
04-20-2019, 04:29 PM
Wow going back and reviewing that draft a lot of teams messed up. Namely Houston and Washington. Washington selected Jason Campbell the pick after Rodgers was selected.

True of every draft, no?

pbmax
04-20-2019, 05:19 PM
There are two things that people who are not familiar with drafting would find odd about that process that are actually the process working as designed.

1. Every defensive target with a first round grade goes off the board. Teams do not have 32 players with first round grades. This happens a lot. Go look at those accidental photos of the Cowboys board. Not 32 players in any of the first three rounds I believe.*

2. Taking a first round graded player, when all the rest are gone, is how the board is supposed to help you acquire talent.

3. Waiting until the clock expires on the pick is normal if you are waiting for trade offers. You only hurry up to the front when you are jumping in front of a team stalling (Vikings).

4. Andrew Brandt needs a new act.

5. Coaches have a limited football worldview, unless you are Belichick.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicks/so-it-turns-out-the-packers-also-didnt-want-rodgers-on-draft-night

* More surprising, and I think this is more Andrew Brandt than Thompson, is that they had targets and weren't more in BPA mode.

red
04-20-2019, 05:40 PM
its amazing how things have changed since then

so many teams passed on rodgers (the potential #1 overall pick), because they just didn't have a big need for a QB

now teams are taking QB's in the top 5 who have no business being drafted in the first round (see mitch turbo)

i think in this day and age, there is no way teams would let a talent like a-rod drop out of the top 5, even without knowing he would end up being a HOFer

Anti-Polar Bear
04-20-2019, 06:06 PM

so many teams passed on rodgers (the potential #1 overall pick), because they just didn't have a big need for a QB

now teams are taking QB's in the top 5 who have no business being drafted in the first round (see mitch turbo)

i think in this day and age, there is no way teams would let a talent like a-rod drop out of the top 5, even without knowing he would end up being a HOFer

Different eras.

In 2005, there wasn’t a rookie scale. As Bill Polian explained, A-Rod’d free fall had a shitload to do with the capitalist pig owners wanting to earn more profits. Alotta teams picking in the top 10 already had a highly paid QB on their rosters. Drafting the Great Arm of Butte would milk the capitalists even more, as top rookies back then got paid more, if even before they played a meaningful game, than many vets of NFL wars.

With the rookie wage, the owners are now more willing to gamble on hotshot and notsohotshot qbs alike.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Another thing, Todd could’ve avoided the entire Favre drama had the incompetent Polar Bear simply released Favre outright. I mean, Brett Favre single-handily turned around a moribund Packer franchise, for fuck’s sake! Show some fucking respect!

Did Irsay ship Manning off to Siberia?

Deputy Nutz
04-20-2019, 09:16 PM
True of every draft, no?

Agreed, but it was a weak draft in retrospect. Washington needed a QB, and passed with their first pick in the first round. I guess teams don't want to make the same mistake anymore and draft QBs way higher than they should.

Fritz
04-21-2019, 06:53 AM

Good point, Red.

Hopefully that will work in the Packers' favor next week, when Murray, Haskins, Lock and Jones all go before the Packers' pick.

Or all but one goes, and Washington and Miami get into a bidding war over the Packers' #12 pick....my fantasy.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Sure he was and why didn't TT and the Packer Scouts eat it all up or jump all over the prize that was Aaron Rodgers? Instead we get the beginning of too much and lame ass managing with

This story actually amazes/ shocks me on a level of procrastination and slowness of mind that cannot exist in a GM and Pro Sports.

Yes amazing and utterly so. WHY?

This whole story reads like Fritz's (SEE THIS THREAD) or an April's Fools Joke.

2 different teams. 2 Owl championships. Woodbuck conclusion: Procrastinator with a slow mind.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 07:51 AM
Another thing, Todd could’ve avoided the entire Favre drama had the incompetent Polar Bear simply released Favre outright. I mean, Brett Favre single-handily turned around a moribund Packer franchise, for fuck’s sake! Show some fucking respect!

Didn't we use the pick from Favre to trade up for Clay Mathews? Seems like insisting on return worked out.

pbmax
04-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Manning had the courtesy to have his arm die on him.

red
04-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Didn't we use the pick from Favre to trade up for Clay Mathews? Seems like insisting on return worked out.

It was part of the trade. We sent our 2nd and 2 thirds for the clay pick. Bert got us one of those 2 thirds

Fritz
04-21-2019, 10:04 AM
If we keep digging into this trade, eventually we will find that it somehow connects to Kevin Bacon.

red
04-21-2019, 11:31 AM
If we keep digging into this trade, eventually we will find that it somehow connects to Kevin Bacon.

brett favre was traded for a conditional 4th round pick that eventually became a 3rd.

that third was packaged with another 3rd and a second to move up to get clay

brett favre appeared in "there's something about mary" with matt dillon

matt dillon and kevin bacon were both in "wild things"

got anything harder?

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 12:48 PM
brett favre was traded for a conditional 4th round pick that eventually became a 3rd.

got anything harder?

That did seem too easy :)

Willard
04-21-2019, 06:29 PM

got anything harder?
I don’t remember any of the male actors in Wild Things.

red
04-21-2019, 07:16 PM
I don’t remember any of the male actors in Wild Things.

Nor should you

bobblehead
04-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Its nice when a garbage thread takes a turn to a much better topic such as Neve Campbell!

ThunderDan
04-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Could you see buying a new house and then saying we have a new house now we can just give away the last house for nothing?

Fuck, another stupid APB post.

bobblehead
04-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Could you see buying a new house and then saying we have a new house now we can just give away the last house for nothing?

Fuck, another stupid APB post.

Get back on topic. Young Neve Campbell and Denise Richards!!

red
04-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Get back on topic. Young Neve Campbell and Denise Richards!!

i remember going to see that in college with my 3 roomates, on opening night

place was packed, not a single girl in the crowd