PDA

View Full Version : 2019 NFL Draft Predictions

Smidgeon
04-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Two questions for posterity and future research:

Who would you not hesitate to draft if they are available at 12?

Who do you think the Packers will select?

RashanGary
04-21-2019, 01:53 AM
I like Oliver, Hockenson and Dillard

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Dillard is the top Tackle in this draft hands down. Just cuz no one asked him to run block doesn't mean he can't. If he is there at 12, my only regret in drafting him would be that you are taking a top LT prospect and playing him at RT.

Bush is under rated and probably better than White. I have watched RBs and TEs kill us in short passes for like a decade without fat mike adjusting to the modern NFL. I would not cry with this pick.

Hockenson is the "dual threat" that I also lamented fat mike had no clue how to utilize. He had ONE drop last year. Not my ideal pick at 12, but I wouldn't cry.

Sweat is a beast with production. No one even talks about how good he was against the run. Please, please let teams pass on him.

Oliver won't get to us. No way no how. Mock drafts are mockable.

Finally Burns. He is kinda explosive and a bit twitchy. I think he becomes a really good edge. I don't care if he is "undersized". So was Von Miller.

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Predictions? Or What/Who we would want at #12?

I'm a firm believer in drafting for need - unless the BPA is just overwhelmingly good. I think we go with an ILB at #12. If both Devin White and Devin Bush are there, I'd go with White - higher ceiling. If neither is there at #12, that makes it tough. Then I suppose go with an O Lineman. I tend to agree with Nutz's rankings - Williams being the best, but likely to be gone by #12. The thing that worries me about Dillard is supposedly he isn't as strong a run blocker. I'm thinking that means he isn't as strong in general. Technique and pass blocking can be coached. Raw strength and athleticism, not so much. I'm leery of taking any O Lineman that high, though, because so many times, being great in college does not translate to being great as a pro.

I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Hockenson as some in here do, and I definitely don't want a TE at the #12 pick - probably not at #30 either.

Prediction: We draft a Devin at #12 and Nutz's 4th rated OT, Risner, at #30.

And I say again, I want and predict a Kicker somewhere around the 5th or 6th round.

jklowan
04-21-2019, 09:11 AM
Guys I'd love in the 1st rd in order of pref for both picks...

Quinnen Williams
Ed Oliver
Nick Bosa
Devin White
Devin Bush
Jonah Williams
Andre Dillard
Jawan Taylor
Dalton Risner
Dexter Lawrence
Jerry Tillery

jklowan
04-21-2019, 09:29 AM
with that they probably draft a TE & WR, and I'll throw up in my mouth

gbgary
04-21-2019, 10:51 AM
i'm guessing they don't go big-splash and draft DL/OL/RB with their first 3 picks. hope i'm wrong though.

bobblehead
04-21-2019, 12:44 PM

I'm a firm believer in drafting for need - unless the BPA is just overwhelmingly good. I think we go with an ILB at #12. If both Devin White and Devin Bush are there, I'd go with White - higher ceiling. If neither is there at #12, that makes it tough. Then I suppose go with an O Lineman. I tend to agree with Nutz's rankings - Williams being the best, but likely to be gone by #12. The thing that worries me about Dillard is supposedly he isn't as strong a run blocker. I'm thinking that means he isn't as strong in general. Technique and pass blocking can be coached. Raw strength and athleticism, not so much. I'm leery of taking any O Lineman that high, though, because so many times, being great in college does not translate to being great as a pro.

I don't have nearly as high an opinion of Hockenson as some in here do, and I definitely don't want a TE at the #12 pick - probably not at #30 either.

And I say again, I want and predict a Kicker somewhere around the 5th or 6th round.

You have managed to get everything wrong that is possible about OL in general and in specific. Dillard is the most athletic OL in this draft easy. He "can't" run block because they never did in his system. Technique can be taught in both pass and run. Footwork and agility (and size) is necessary for pass and can't be taught (much).

texaspackerbacker
04-21-2019, 12:56 PM
I prefer big "road grader" type O Linemen, but apparently LaFleur favors smaller more mobile types. All I know about Dillard is what I read from Nutz. More athletic and a probable good pass blocker reminds me of what I read long ago about a guy named John Michaels - who ranks pretty high on the O Line bust list. Anyway, Dillard will probably be gone by #30. The guy I predicted at #30 was Risner - who was described as a "mauler", which to me, kinda means a high effort tougher type O Lineman, and it seems like that type, although less likely to be superstars, tend to be steady starters for a long career.

red
04-21-2019, 01:06 PM
what are the odds that we double down on o-line in the first?

let the better of the two in camp and pre season be the RT and the other can be the right guard

IF they both can play

wthigoot
04-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Guys I'd love in the 1st rd in order of pref for both picks...

Quinnen Williams
Ed Oliver
Nick Bosa
Devin White
Devin Bush
Jonah Williams
Andre Dillard
Jawan Taylor
Dalton Risner
Dexter Lawrence
Jerry Tillery

This is a good list, would say Allen and Sweat also.

For the later pick, would like to get Greedy Williams. CB is not that deep right now.

If Tennesse or Pittsburgh offered their #1 and #2 for the Packers #1, that would be worth doing.

wthigoot
04-21-2019, 02:37 PM

I always thought they would use the Hundley pick for a kicker but they just recently singed Ficken off the street, so they are probably set there.

RashanGary
04-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Speaking of possible 2 OL sinerios,

I could see Dillard and Chris Lindstrom. Dillard is a LT but he could play RT until Bahk is 30 and then switch. Lindstrom could play LG or RT. Both would fit well in a zone offensive.

You could keep Taylor and Bulaga for one more year. Let the rookies come into their own for a year and then feel really good about Bahk, Lindstrom, Lindsey, Turner, Dillard for a few years.

Fritz
04-22-2019, 10:38 AM

So if Thompson had adhered to your strategy early on, he wouldn't have drafted Aaron Rodgers? Or do you think Thompson had Rodgers ranked as "overwhelmingly good"?

smuggler
04-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Juwaan Taylor and Noah Fant in the 1st Round, by my guess.

red
04-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Juwaan Taylor and Noah Fant in the 1st Round, by my guess.

nfln mock draft last night had us taking taylor at #12 and AJ brown at #30

thay had both iowa TE's going in the top 10

smuggler
04-22-2019, 11:33 AM
I don't see both TEs going top 10. We could take a RT or G if Fant isn't available at 30.

bobblehead
04-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Speaking of possible 2 OL sinerios,

I could see Dillard and Chris Lindstrom. Dillard is a LT but he could play RT until Bahk is 30 and then switch. Lindstrom could play LG or RT. Both would fit well in a zone offensive.

You could keep Taylor and Bulaga for one more year. Let the rookies come into their own for a year and then feel really good about Bahk, Lindstrom, Lindsey, Turner, Dillard for a few years.

Since I believe in dominating the line of scrimmage I would be OK with such a draft. I want to run with authority, then allow ARod to run play action to destroy defenses. Meanwhile grab a safety at 44 and play good defense.

call_me_ishmael
04-22-2019, 12:23 PM
If Bulaga has a good year and stays healthy, I have little doubt they'll try to resign him for a year or two on a short-but-expensive contract because he's a premier player when he's healthy.

RashanGary
04-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Dillard is the top Tackle in this draft hands down. Just cuz no one asked him to run block doesn't mean he can't. If he is there at 12, my only regret in drafting him would be that you are taking a top LT prospect and playing him at RT.

Bush is under rated and probably better than White. I have watched RBs and TEs kill us in short passes for like a decade without fat mike adjusting to the modern NFL. I would not cry with this pick.

Hockenson is the "dual threat" that I also lamented fat mike had no clue how to utilize. He had ONE drop last year. Not my ideal pick at 12, but I wouldn't cry.

Sweat is a beast with production. No one even talks about how good he was against the run. Please, please let teams pass on him.

Oliver won't get to us. No way no how. Mock drafts are mockable.

Finally Burns. He is kinda explosive and a bit twitchy. I think he becomes a really good edge. I don't care if he is "undersized". So was Von Miller.

I like your list and see things similarly. Dillard could play RT in the early part of his career and then extend Bahks career by playing LT once Bahk hits 30. In the long run of dillards career, that’s ideal. Also, would be nice to be able to move Dillard over in case of injury. Even in those first years at RT, it still improves backup LT as well and RT is easier to fill. So an injury to Bahk would be something we could overcome.

RashanGary
04-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Bush is so interesting. We haven’t had a great ILB in my packer fan life. Bush looks like he could be great. .

Fritz
04-22-2019, 01:16 PM
My mind is changing. I'd be fine if they drafted a tackle at #12, or even if they think Hockenson's the next big thing, and they took him.

But I'd be fine with Fant at #30 instead.

pbmax
04-22-2019, 04:25 PM
I think its big guys with the first pick, defense with second.

I suspect they try to move down in the first for Oliver or a dropping EDGE. If it doesn't work (and it won't) its an OT.

Then they try to trade down for an Iowa TE in the teens. That doesn't work. So safety with pick #30.

texaspackerbacker
04-22-2019, 11:48 PM
So if Thompson had adhered to your strategy early on, he wouldn't have drafted Aaron Rodgers? Or do you think Thompson had Rodgers ranked as "overwhelmingly good"?

He was a toss up with Alex Smith to be the number one overall, so that's pretty overwhelming. Also, Favre was how old? It was not a sure thing he would go on as long as he did, so it's not too big a stretch to say it was at least slightly a need pick.

mraynrand
04-23-2019, 07:57 AM
If Bulaga has a good year and stays healthy

I loled.

Fritz
04-23-2019, 09:39 AM
He was a toss up with Alex Smith to be the number one overall, so that's pretty overwhelming. Also, Favre was how old? It was not a sure thing he would go on as long as he did, so it's not too big a stretch to say it was at least slightly a need pick.

So by this line of reasoning, if the Packers are on the clock with the 12th pick of the first round and there is a QB sitting there that they strongly believe is the next Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes, and because Rodgers is aging and played hurt the last two years, you'd be okay with that pick of a QB?

texaspackerbacker
04-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Maybe ....... but do you see anything resembling Aaron Rodgers out there? I sure don't. I wonder if they'd give a thought to Kyler Murray if he's still there.

Joemailman
04-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Former NFL wide receiver Antonio Bryant (Dallas, Cleveland etc). is saying he has source inside Cardinals organization that Cardinals will keep Josh Rosen and draft Bosa #1.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Former NFL receiver Antonio Bryant has been banging the drum over the past day regarding the first overall pick in the draft. Specifically, Bryant insists that the Cardinals won’t take quarterback Kyler Murray, but that they’ll instead select defensive end Nick Bosa.

On Monday, Bryant said that he’s “hearing from people in the Cardinals organization” that Bosa sits at No. 1 on the Arizona board, and that the team will stick with Rosen at quarterback. Tuesday morning, Bryant doubled down.

“I’m telling you I trust my source,” Bryant said. “This ain’t no smokescreen. . . . The Cardinals are going to draft Nick Bosa 1st overall. . . . Just wait on it.”

Bryant may have made a potentially telling slip in his second tweet, narrowing his sourcing from “people in the Cardinals organization” to one specific person: “I trust my source.”

So who’s his source? There’s speculation that Bryant is getting his info from fellow former Pitt receiver (and Cardinals cornerstone) Larry Fitzgerald, even though their playing careers at Pittsburgh didn’t overlap. Whoever it is, Bryant presumably is pushing this information with the approval of his source, even though the Cardinals may not want this information to be disclosed — if it’s even accurate.

If it is accurate, look for more reports (from, you know, reporters) to soon emerge confirming what Bryant is claiming, unless reporters from ESPN and/or NFL Network truly are on lock down when it comes to tipping Arizona’s plans before Thursday night, when ABC, ESPN, and NFL Network will be televising the draft.

run pMc
04-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Well, Rosen beat the Packers.
I don't know that he's a bust, not with the OL they had blocking for him. I think they need to get him a better OL and tweak the scheme to what he's better at. I have zero confidence in their new HC though.

Wouldn't surprise me if they went D. Bosa was the consensus #1 pick by many a few months ago.

bobblehead
04-23-2019, 11:18 AM
So hard to predict. I think trade down and then up, but what if someone they had as the last prime name....a top 5 guy on their big board drops to them. No way they trade out of that. Problem is that we don't have a clue what that big board looks like. I have that hunch Dillard is definitely Gutes top T, but that is based more on combine #'s and look than anything. I know that I think Sweat and Oliver are top 5 guys, but I don't know that the heart thing is an issue or not. I also don't know if Gutes has an issue with Oliver's size. Hell, for all I know Gutes has watched tap of Farrell and has him right there with Allen and Bosa.

I am confident of the strategy, but not knowing how Gutes has them ranked and without seeing how 1-11 go, we can only wildly speculate....ah how I love the internet.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2019, 11:31 AM
If all the QBs drop that would put some pressure on teams needing defense and offensive line. I cant imagine the Giants passing on QB in the first but they may think they can wait for the second first round pick to grab a top three.

pbmax
04-23-2019, 11:38 AM
So by this line of reasoning, if the Packers are on the clock with the 12th pick of the first round and there is a QB sitting there that they strongly believe is the next Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes, and because Rodgers is aging and played hurt the last two years, you'd be okay with that pick of a QB?

Yes.

pbmax
04-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Cardinals have been leaking to more than Bryant to get word out that they may not take Murray #1. So ether they want out of the 1st pick or they want more value for suddenly unavailable Rosen (more likely).

Fritz
04-23-2019, 12:05 PM
So hard to predict. I think trade down and then up, but what if someone they had as the last prime name....a top 5 guy on their big board drops to them. No way they trade out of that. Problem is that we don't have a clue what that big board looks like. I have that hunch Dillard is definitely Gutes top T, but that is based more on combine #'s and look than anything. I know that I think Sweat and Oliver are top 5 guys, but I don't know that the heart thing is an issue or not. I also don't know if Gutes has an issue with Oliver's size. Hell, for all I know Gutes has watched tap of Farrell and has him right there with Allen and Bosa.

I am confident of the strategy, but not knowing how Gutes has them ranked and without seeing how 1-11 go, we can only wildly speculate....ah how I love the internet.

Well, there it is in a nutshell: Since we don't know Gute's board, we can't really know his strategy, at least not yet. This is a good post, Bobble. Without knowing what Gute's board looks like, we're all just guessing - which, admittedly, is fun.

I wonder if we can glean anything from last year and from his work with Thompson.

wist43
04-23-2019, 12:08 PM

I would say no to that b/c I'm holding out hope we can make one more run with Rodgers.

Gute will have to push every right button for us to get there, but there's a chance.

Fritz
04-23-2019, 12:17 PM
I hope Gute knows what those buttons are, and gets lucky with this draft, whether that's a ridiculous trade offer because Washington or somebody wants a QB and is willing to give up a lot to move up the three spots, or whether a superstar or two falls into his lap in the first round's picks that he has.

Joemailman
04-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider's professed love for defensive end Frank Clark apparently wasn't deep enough to prevent him from sending Clark elsewhere.

The Seahawks agreed to trade Clark to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for a first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, a 2020 second-round pick and a swap of third-round picks in 2019, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, via sources informed of the transaction..

Fritz
04-23-2019, 05:23 PM
So that's a late first-round pick, and a second next year?

Pretty good haul.

RashanGary
04-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Damn, chiefs gonna be a force next year