PDA

View Full Version : First Round Pick 2019, Rashan Gary

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Anti-Polar Bear
09-30-2019, 11:37 AM
Top 10 QB? I am thinking top 2-4. Wentz is unbelievable. He's so good that Philly gave up the world to get him and they're still elite.

1. Mulatto

2. GOAT

3. Butte

4. Brees

Wentz is good, but the Iggles won a Bowl without him.

bobblehead
10-01-2019, 08:37 AM
1) I would put Wentz at the end of top 10. He isn't much better than that, but Philly is able to run a very difficult to defend offense because they have what I have been begging for....not one, but TWO TE's that can run block or line up wide. Throw in a top 3-4 OL in the league and they are going to be tough to defend.

2) Yes, a stud ILB is still keeping us from becoming a top 5 D. We are indeed somewhere around 6/7/8.

3) We bleed run yards partly by design. Like Pb, Pettine prioritizes the stopping the pass game. He counts on an individual effort blowing up an early down run play at some point in a drive to force teams to pass which he then counts on stopping because its one dimensional at that point. Its a valid strategy when teams are forced to go 80 yards on you and you get 5 chances at that individual effort. Its less successful when the eagles start at midfield a lot.

Zool
10-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Leave the Last Jedi out of this.

Can't decide if I'd rather watch that POS movie, or the Packers run D.

George Cumby
10-01-2019, 08:50 PM
^lol

RashanGary
10-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Shaq Thompson is a UFA next year. He’s the ideal fit next to Martinez.

RashanGary
10-01-2019, 11:53 PM
Cut Graham and Lane Taylor. Sign Shaq Thompson and Martinez. Championship

texaspackerbacker
10-02-2019, 11:54 AM
For better or worse, the Packers make very little use of two ILBs on the field together - not enough for a big money signing.

I understand Burks is back practicing. Give him a good try before looking elsewhere.

RashanGary
10-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Was happy to see Gary take good lines to the QB and not get affected by TE chip blocks. He had one for sure that he handled perfectly.

Bretsky
10-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Wists guy (until he turned flipper) Brian Burns is still killing it

At least Gary hit the QB last week....albeit...on a penalty

Fritz
10-14-2019, 11:17 AM
I was pimping Chase Winovich as the far better player than Rashan Gary. Winovich, if you don't rememeber, was drafted in the third round by the Patriots. The score so far:

Winovich: 4 sacks
Gary: 1 sack.

Bretsky
10-14-2019, 07:22 PM
I was pimping Chase Winovich as the far better player than Rashan Gary. Winovich, if you don't rememeber, was drafted in the third round by the Patriots. The score so far:

Winovich: 4 sacks
Gary: 1 sack.

We both agreed Gary was the 3rd best LB on the Wolverines last year.

Did you watch Pittsurg last night ?????

Devin Bush; Playmaker

Bretsky
10-14-2019, 07:23 PM
I hated that HIPPY for Michigan

I didn't hate Rashan Gary; you don't hate the guys who don't make plays

call_me_ishmael
10-21-2019, 10:40 PM
Did the Baconator do anything this week? It's getting to be the time of year where I'd like to see him contribute _something_.

Fritz
10-22-2019, 05:49 AM
Did the Baconator do anything this week? It's getting to be the time of year where I'd like to see him contribute _something_.

Crickets.

pbmax
10-22-2019, 07:46 AM
Crickets.

Goodson 40 snaps
Fackrell 28
Gary 18
Burks 14

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 08:48 AM

Most of the defense played like Gary on Sunday. They did give up 500 yards after all. If it weren’t for penalties and bad turnovers the game would have been a tight shoot-out.

Joemailman
10-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Gary had the same number of tackles (2) on 18 snaps that Preston and Z Smith had on 40+ snaps. The defense had no sacks or QB hits so not a very noticeable day for any of these guys.

Fritz
10-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Most of the defense played like Gary on Sunday. They did give up 500 yards after all. If it weren’t for penalties and bad turnovers the game would have been a tight shoot-out.

Oh, sorry. I guess it's okay that Gary sucked b/c everyone else did, too.

Chase Winovich, third round pick: 4 sacks, 3 TFL, 5 QB hits.

Rashan Gary, #12 overall pick: 1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit.

Oh, Brian Burns, drafted four picks after Gary: 4.5 sacks, 3 TFL, 11 QB hits.

mraynrand
10-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Oh, sorry. I guess it's okay that Gary sucked b/c everyone else did, too.

Yeah, I didn't say that champ. I said everyone had a Gary-like, ineffective day on defense.

Fritz
10-22-2019, 01:17 PM
No, you didn't. I simply twisted your meaning to suit my own evil purposes.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

run pMc
10-22-2019, 06:44 PM
I was on the Brian Burns bandwagon (and definitely NOT on Gary's) pre-draft, and I think he'd looked good in G&G. Burns is definitely a more Year 1 pro-ready player IMO. I think if Gary takes to coaching he may end up being a ZaDarius Jr., but I think it could take him until Year 3 for that to happen.

Against OAK Gary got some pressure and made a couple of tackles, so at least his name was called. Carr gets the ball out very fast so I'm not overly surprised there was no Halloween sack dance... they'll have a chance against Matt Moore.

I'm mostly over whether it was a good pick or not, I'm more interested in seeing how he'll pan out. He wouldn't have been my choice. Even if you have Uncle Rico's time machine I'm not sure you'd be able to go back and convince Gute not to pick Gary by pointing at 7 games of stats.

RashanGary
10-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Zadarius had 1 sack in 13 games in 2016 so not all is lost just yet. But it’s looking like baconators last resort might be DE. He doesn’t look like a guy with much of a pass rush plan.

Bretsky
10-22-2019, 10:24 PM
Crickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KVj2vVxUs

Bretsky
10-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Against OAK Gary got some pressure and made a couple of tackles, so at least his name was called. Carr gets the ball out very fast so I'm not overly surprised there was no Halloween sack dance... they'll have a chance against Matt Moore.

I'm mostly over whether it was a good pick or not, I'm more interested in seeing how he'll pan out. He wouldn't have been my choice. Even if you have Uncle Rico's time machine I'm not sure you'd be able to go back and convince Gute not to pick Gary by pointing at 7 games of stats.

I think even the most convinced supporters are currently on the belief at best this was the wrong pick and at worst it was a bad or worse pick

Lot of good OL there, and Burns would have looked GREAT.

Bretsky
10-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Zadarius had 1 sack in 13 games in 2016 so not all is lost just yet. But it’s looking like baconators last resort might be DE. He doesn’t look like a guy with much of a pass rush plan.

You waited a long time to change your name to Justin Harrell. He was an absoulte bust....aka....pure crap when you made the change. I took that as you giving up.

You changed your name to Rashan Gary prettty quickly after seeing Tarzan playing like Jane.

That worried me

Bretsky
10-22-2019, 10:30 PM

We had such a great opportunity with two first round picks on a team that really has pretty good talent in key positions. Sucks that we most likely missed at a pick that high when we never really get an opportunity that high

Bretsky
10-22-2019, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I didn't say that champ. I said everyone had a Gary-like, ineffective day on defense.

WAIT

I thought you made "GARY" an adjective........equating to they sucked and didn't showed up. I read your post wrong too

For instance, Green Bay's Defense played like a Gary ?

Sparkey
12-10-2019, 03:56 PM
https://www.packers.com/news/what-you-might-ve-missed-part-time-presence-full-time-support

Gary looked good in his limited snaps...

run pMc
12-11-2019, 10:33 AM
https://www.packers.com/news/what-you-might-ve-missed-part-time-presence-full-time-support

Gary looked good in his limited snaps...

Agree. He had 3Tkl for the game and provided some pressure on Haskins. Baby steps...at least it's not nothing.

Fritz
12-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Agree. He had 3Tkl for the game and provided some pressure on Haskins. Baby steps...at least it's not nothing.

Okay, I will concede that he at least got to a stalemate on some of those plays. Of course, I want him to turn out great and I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm still not optimistic. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it goes next season before we can really say much.

This, however, will not stop me from bagging on the guy!

run pMc
12-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Okay, I will concede that he at least got to a stalemate on some of those plays. Of course, I want him to turn out great and I'd be happy to be wrong, but I'm still not optimistic. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it goes next season before we can really say much.

This, however, will not stop me from bagging on the guy!

Still not a fan of the pick. As time goes by and we see other R1 picks perform I may really not like the pick, but I'm going to root for him while he's a Packer and -- for the moment -- am cautiously optimistic that he'll improve and be better next year if he stays healthy. (Can't recall if he will need shoulder surgery though.) I think with his body type they're banking on turning him into another Za'Darius which would be pretty great.

Sparkey
12-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Still not a fan of the pick. As time goes by and we see other R1 picks perform I may really not like the pick, but I'm going to root for him while he's a Packer and -- for the moment -- am cautiously optimistic that he'll improve and be better next year if he stays healthy. (Can't recall if he will need shoulder surgery though.) I think with his body type they're banking on turning him into another Za'Darius which would be pretty great.

And who better to learn from than the two Smiths!

Patler
12-13-2019, 06:27 PM
I think it is significant that they are looking for ways to get him on the field with Smiths I & Ii, instead of just using him to give them breathers now and then.

call_me_ishmael
12-13-2019, 09:53 PM
I think it is significant that they are looking for ways to get him on the field with Smiths I & Ii, instead of just using him to give them breathers now and then.

I had the same thought as well. If the Hamburgler wasn't doing something to give them an advantage, he wouldn't be getting into the fray in new and interesting ways.

Patler
12-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Gary finished with three total tackles to go with his sack, including a tackle for loss and another hit on the quarterback.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/12/15/tramon-williams-alert-play-helps-packers-survive-final-play-laterals/2656721001/

Not a bad day for a guy who played only 18 of 84 plays on defense,

Sparkey
12-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Not a bad day for a guy who played only 18 of 84 plays on defense,

I liked what I saw of Gary yesterday. He looked explosive on his first step when he was standing up. Considering that he played with his hand in the dirt in college, it is a significant sign of improvement. I also like his effort. The more exposure he has to seeing things as a stand up lb, the more comfortable he will be and the faster he will play.

I think the guy is going to be a difference maker sooner rather than later.

pbmax
12-16-2019, 10:05 AM
I liked what I saw of Gary yesterday. He looked explosive on his first step when he was standing up. Considering that he played with his hand in the dirt in college, it is a significant sign of improvement. I also like his effort. The more exposure he has to seeing things as a stand up lb, the more comfortable he will be and the faster he will play.

I think the guy is going to be a difference maker sooner rather than later.

My problem with Gary is that he does not seem functionally strong.

If you watch Preston Smith, he will just batter a tackle. Dr. Zaius relies more on quickness, but he was also neutralize them to get around them on a corner or hold them off and beat them inside. He can hold them off in other words, or flip a guard to the ground on a spin move.

Gary is just speed around a corner. His next move will be the counter inside. But if the tackle gets a hand on him, it seems he offers less resistance than the others.

He is just a rookie though.

run pMc
12-16-2019, 10:35 AM
He doesn't really have much for pass rush moves, which is common for rookies. It usually takes them a year or two to come up with more than a speed or bull rush. Gary is raw, but occasionally he shows something, and he can play run D at least. Also, he's been showing up in the stat sheet more recently, despite getting around 15 snaps a game. As for being functionally strong, do you think that will always be the case, or something he can improve with a NFL S&C training?

Zool
12-16-2019, 10:37 AM

If you watch Preston Smith, he will just batter a tackle. Dr. Zaius relies more on quickness, but he was also neutralize them to get around them on a corner or hold them off and beat them inside. He can hold them off in other words, or flip a guard to the ground on a spin move.

Gary is just speed around a corner. His next move will be the counter inside. But if the tackle gets a hand on him, it seems he offers less resistance than the others.

He was moving that RT for the Bears yesterday. I don't know if that's some great accomplishment, but it was noticable. He was pushing the guy into Tubrisket quite a bit.

pbmax
12-16-2019, 12:19 PM
He was moving that RT for the Bears yesterday. I don't know if that's some great accomplishment, but it was noticable. He was pushing the guy into Tubrisket quite a bit.

Now he just needs some leverage around the edge. He’s clearly strong enough versus the run that it should be possible.

texaspackerbacker
12-16-2019, 03:09 PM
What we were running with Gary in there was basically a good ol' 4-3 defense with Gary at one DE. He seems well suited for that - more so than being a true linebacker.

I noticed also that it looked like they were using Fackrell as the 2nd ILB the few times we used two ILBs. I like that idea too.

pbmax
12-16-2019, 03:28 PM
What we were running with Gary in there was basically a good ol' 4-3 defense with Gary at one DE. He seems well suited for that - more so than being a true linebacker.

I noticed also that it looked like they were using Fackrell as the 2nd ILB the few times we used two ILBs. I like that idea too.

Kyler Fackrell = Swiss Army Knife

call_me_ishmael
12-16-2019, 04:44 PM
I still believe in the hamburgler or whatever nickname we came up for him. Too many athletic traits to be a complete bust when healthy.

Bretsky
12-16-2019, 10:33 PM
I still believe in the hamburgler or whatever nickname we came up for him. Too many athletic traits to be a complete bust when healthy.

I think it was the Baconator or something like that

call_me_ishmael
12-17-2019, 01:39 PM
I think it was the Baconator or something like that

That's right, lol, how could I forget the Baconator. I freaking love that nickname lol.

It sounds like he had a nice, promising game on Sunday. I didn't see it so I have no idea but the general vibe on Twitter is optimism.

My thought process is generally athletic freaks that bust out due to injury or lack of work ethic. So far we have no reason to believe either is an issue with Gary so I remain optimistic that he'll be a good player down the road.

smuggler
12-17-2019, 08:32 PM

He might not be a stud, but he can play different spots on the field and was collapsing the pocket on a few plays.

RashanGary
12-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Gary looking better as time goes on. Still a ways to go.

RashanGary
12-20-2019, 09:42 AM
That's right, lol, how could I forget the Baconator. I freaking love that nickname lol.

It sounds like he had a nice, promising game on Sunday. I didn't see it so I have no idea but the general vibe on Twitter is optimism.

My thought process is generally athletic freaks that bust out due to injury or lack of work ethic. So far we have no reason to believe either is an issue with Gary so I remain optimistic that he'll be a good player down the road.

Decent reasoning

Radagast
12-21-2019, 03:24 AM
GB's most recent 1st round draft pick Rashan Gary has proven himself to be everything that the Packers could have dreamed for. A dominating, overpowering pass rusher/sacker as well as a stone cold run stopper, Gary has impressed the entire league with his defensive skills. In addition, Gary's pass coverage and ball swatting talents have elevated him to one of the NFL's best defensive players.
We should all be proud of GB's GM for using a valuable #1 draft pick to take Gary. He has turned out to be a player that other teams envy.

NOT

pbmax
12-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Fritz! He's flashing again!

Packers rookie Rashan Gary 'getting better at the right time' (https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/20/packers-rookie-rashan-gary-getting-better-at-the-right-time/)

George Cumby
12-21-2019, 08:42 AM
GB's most recent 1st round draft pick Rashan Gary has proven himself to be everything that the Packers could have dreamed for. A dominating, overpowering pass rusher/sacker as well as a stone cold run stopper, Gary has impressed the entire league with his defensive skills. In addition, Gary's pass coverage and ball swatting talents have elevated him to one of the NFL's best defensive players.
We should all be proud of GB's GM for using a valuable #1 draft pick to take Gary. He has turned out to be a player that other teams envy.

NOT

So you like him?

bobblehead
12-26-2019, 08:07 AM

He will look much stronger if he gets a good array of moves to get a 325 pound T off balance. When he gets them reaching he will look like the hulk. When/If that will be? No Clue?

bobblehead
12-26-2019, 08:10 AM

I hope they manage to resign Fackrell, but I'm doubting it. If he leaves for a Hyde/Tretter/Hayward kinda deal I won't be happy. I know you have to make choices, but he has been valuable, and you just can't have enough of those guys around.

pbmax
12-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Gary Status: glass half full

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/bringing-rashan-gary-along-slowly-is-a-luxury-that-is-paying-off-347

pbmax
12-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Gary Status: Slightly more than half full

Ross Uglem @RossUglem
The #Packers made two excellent signings this offseason by scouting PRESSURES instead of SACKS.
Here's a little perspective on Rashan Gary:
'18:
Matthews 30 pressures on 376 rushes
Fackrell 23 on 243
Gilbert 21 on 241
Perry 13 on 168
'19:
Gary 15 pressures on 136 rushes

Ross Uglem @RossUglem
reorganized by rushes per pressure:

Matthews '18: 12.53
Fackrell '18: 10.57
Gilbert '18: 11.48
Perry '18: 12.92
Gary '19: 9.07
Gary is affecting the QB at a higher rate per rush than any Packers rusher from a season ago in his rookie year learning a new position.

Ross Uglem @RossUglem
also, pass-rushing is wild, man. People talk about hitting a baseball being hard. Za'Darius Smith is "failing" five out of every six rushes and he's an All-Pro. Smith's pressure-per-rush number is 5.91 and I'd be willing to bet it's in the top 5 league-wide.

RashanGary
12-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Gary Status: Slightly more than half full

Ross Uglem @RossUglem
The #Packers made two excellent signings this offseason by scouting PRESSURES instead of SACKS.
Here's a little perspective on Rashan Gary:
'18:
Matthews 30 pressures on 376 rushes
Fackrell 23 on 243
Gilbert 21 on 241
Perry 13 on 168
'19:
Gary 15 pressures on 136 rushes

Ross Uglem @RossUglem

Gary is affecting the QB at a higher rate per rush than any Packers rusher from a season ago in his rookie year learning a new position.

Ross Uglem @RossUglem
also, pass-rushing is wild, man. People talk about hitting a baseball being hard. Za'Darius Smith is "failing" five out of every six rushes and he's an All-Pro. Smith's pressure-per-rush number is 5.91 and I'd be willing to bet it's in the top 5 league-wide.

i notice him making more and more plays. young guy. wont bust. still could really pan out

run pMc
12-26-2019, 03:38 PM
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/bringi...paying-off-347
According to PFF, from week 6 to week 10, Gary was the Packers' most improved defensive player as his overall grade jumped 27.3 points during that span.

Promising news, but he has a long way to go.

Patler
12-26-2019, 04:09 PM
Ross Uglem @RossUglem

That's not an insignificant analysis. I'm sure Gary benefits from the fact that teams focus their attention on Smiths I & II, while Matthews and Perry attracted teams attention last year, but the raw numbers are still interesting. Fackrell had a big year last year for sacks in 2018, and Gary is exceeding his rate of pressures. Interesting.

Zool
12-26-2019, 07:13 PM
I wonder if Gary’s numbers would remain high at a higher usage rate. Hopefully he progresses enough next year to force playing time.

run pMc
12-27-2019, 04:40 PM
That's not an insignificant analysis. I'm sure Gary benefits from the fact that teams focus their attention on Smiths I & II, while Matthews and Perry attracted teams attention last year, but the raw numbers are still interesting. Fackrell had a big year last year for sacks in 2018, and Gary is exceeding his rate of pressures. Interesting.

One thing I noticed rewatching the MIN game was that there were a few times Gary was the first defensive player off the snap. When he's locked in he is explosive and fast. On a 3rd and long play MIN used that to ride him out of a gap for a draw play that came short of the 1st. Teams are giving him at least some respect - he got a few double teams and held up ok.

I think the Baconator nickname fits for now -- he's like the king of almost making a play, and has helped to pressure the QB or force him into another pass rusher.

I don't think his numbers would hold up at that rate if his snaps went up. If in years 1 & 2 he basically beats/matches Perry's last 2 years of production I would say that's a decent pick...they paid Perry big money. I'd like to see him make a year 2 jump; that's on Gary and the coaches. Kid's got lots of potential.

Upnorth
12-28-2019, 10:55 AM
Ross Uglem @RossUglem

Ross Uglem @RossUglem

Not exactly comparing him to world beaters, however this shows potential to me.

Bretsky
12-28-2019, 04:52 PM
We're seeing some light at the end of a disappointing season for the 12th pick in the NFL draft.
Hopefully he continues to improve and shows production and dis places Holy Fackrell at least

TG Savage has been the real deal from the start; he's really helped our defense and allows Petting a lot of flexibility to do different things

Fritz
12-31-2019, 02:33 PM
I saw Gary flailing on a couple of plays in the Detroit game. On one play, a guard just pushed him toward a tackle, and Gary ran into the tackle, looking like a skinny twelve year old running up against his 275 pound Uncle Buck.

Joemailman
01-03-2020, 06:53 PM
It appears Gary will not need surgery to repair the torn labrum he suffered last year and will be able to get rid of the harness he's worn all year.

George Cumby
01-03-2020, 08:19 PM
That would limit one's effectiveness.

RashanGary
01-03-2020, 08:49 PM
It appears Gary will not need surgery to repair the torn labrum he suffered last year and will be able to get rid of the harness he's worn all year.

When is he getting rid of it? Now? I don't have access to that story

Joemailman
01-03-2020, 10:30 PM
When is he getting rid of it? Now? I don't have access to that story

After the Super Bowl.

Bretsky
01-04-2020, 01:34 AM
That would limit one's effectiveness.

Was he wearing it in college too ?

Bretsky
01-04-2020, 01:35 AM
I miss Bob McGinn, the GOAT as a Packer sportswriter

Joemailman
01-04-2020, 06:42 AM
Was he wearing it in college too ?

Yes. He missed 4 games his last year at Michigan, and wore it after that.

RashanGary
01-04-2020, 08:21 AM
After the Super Bowl.

Thanks Joe!

He'll be better than 3.5 sacks next year! Still hope we keep fackrell.