PDA

View Full Version : More Walker to Denver Rumors per the Denver Post

gureski
04-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Happy Easter. I saw this about Walker...

Bill Williamson, Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/williamson/ci_3715898

"Walker Denver-bound?

There is speculation in Green Bay the Packers will grant Javon Walker his wish and deal him. If Walker is traded, is it likely to happen draft week or during the draft.

Denver has talked to Green Bay about the disgruntled receiver. The Broncos, along with the Eagles and the 49ers, are expected to make a strong push for Walker.

Green Bay has maintained it expects Walker to stay. But if a good enough offer comes along, including a draft pick, it might be tempting for the Packers to rid themselves of the distraction Walker is sure to create. If Denver is the trading partner with Green Bay, the deal likely would happen on draft day. "

packrulz
04-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I believe the rumors of a pkg deal with Lelie & a midrounder thrown in. I like the idea. Lelie's pretty good.

No Mo Moss
04-16-2006, 01:30 PM
It needs to be a first day pick.

Tarlam!
04-16-2006, 01:34 PM
It needs to be a 1st rounder, or let him rot on the friggin' pine.

gureski
04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I can't say I'd be upset if it was Lelie and a late first or a 2nd rounder for Walker. With the behavior Walker has displayed and his injury situation, I don't think we're in position to play hardball regarding Walker's value. If we wait on this and play hardball then Walker will just wait til there are 6 games left in the season and then report to get the last year of his contract out of the way. In that scenerio, the Packers would get nothing for Walker and he'd be free to thumb his nose at the team and walk away to any team he wants.

I'm not going to over-inflate the value of Lelie but I will say he's a nice throw in as part of the deal. You could certainly do worse and who knows...maybe the guy will click and turn into a player. You never know. The pick is the main part of any deal between Denver and G.B. though. I'd settle on a 2nd rounder. This is a deep draft. A 2nd rounder this year may be as good as a late first last year.

Rastak
04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
It needs to be a 1st rounder, or let him rot on the friggin' pine.

1st is too high with his injury last year, and you'd only be cutting off your nose to spite your face to let him rot for 10 weeks....then you get nothing....I'd trade him for a Lelie and a 5th....maybe you could pry a 4th.

Patler
04-16-2006, 01:50 PM
If reports are good about his recovery, I wouldn't "give him away this year".

Even if he only comes back for 6 games, that's enough to showcase him. You could franchise tag him in 2007 and then trade him. His six game performance might be enough to get the compensation up in a trade over what it is now if teams are lowballing offers because of his injury..

Rastak
04-16-2006, 02:32 PM
If reports are good about his recovery, I wouldn't "give him away this year".

Even if he only comes back for 6 games, that's enough to showcase him. You could franchise tag him in 2007 and then trade him. His six game performance might be enough to get the compensation up in a trade over what it is now if teams are lowballing offers because of his injury..

You can't showcase him if he "pulls a hammy" and spends his six weeks in the training room.

retailguy
04-16-2006, 02:39 PM
You can't showcase him if he "pulls a hammy" and spends his six weeks in the training room.

True, but he can't showcase himself for that fat contract either....

The odds favor GB here, but we'll see if TT blinks. I don't think he will. If he gets a first round pick, he's gone, otherwise, I think TT will hold firm.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Eagles | Team could be interested in J. Walker
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:23:03 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports there is speculation in Green Bay the Green Bay Packers will grant WR Javon Walker his wish and deal him. If Walker is traded, is it likely to happen draft week or during the NFL Draft. It appears the Denver Broncos, Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers could be the front-runners for Walker. Green Bay has maintained it expects Walker to stay. But if a good enough offer comes along, including a draft pick, it might be tempting for the Packers to rid themselves of the distraction Walker is sure to create.

There are three different teams interested, according to KFFL. Eagles, Broncos and...(can you believe this?) 49ers.

billy_oliver880
04-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Eagles | Team could be interested in J. Walker
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:23:03 -0700

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports there is speculation in Green Bay the Green Bay Packers will grant WR Javon Walker his wish and deal him. If Walker is traded, is it likely to happen draft week or during the NFL Draft. It appears the Denver Broncos, Philadelphia Eagles and San Francisco 49ers could be the front-runners for Walker. Green Bay has maintained it expects Walker to stay. But if a good enough offer comes along, including a draft pick, it might be tempting for the Packers to rid themselves of the distraction Walker is sure to create.

There are three different teams interested, according to KFFL. Eagles, Broncos and...(can you believe this?) 49ers.

9ers deffinatly need a playmaker....but we do too.

MJZiggy
04-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Do they have anyone to trade for him? If anyone would know, it's M3.

Rastak
04-16-2006, 07:35 PM

True, but he can't showcase himself for that fat contract either....

The odds favor GB here, but we'll see if TT blinks. I don't think he will. If he gets a first round pick, he's gone, otherwise, I think TT will hold firm.

I totally agree, I'm not saying Walker holds aLL the cards Retail, he's also screwng himself big time. He's gonna lose alot of money short term (and maybe long term too).

ND72
04-16-2006, 07:39 PM
i really think right now Walker screwed himself. if he would shut his mouth, play, he either gets big $, or since he doesn't like GB he gets out next year...even if the Pack tagged him or franchised him, they could at least make a deal...but all he had to do was shut his mouth and play. The thing is, i don't blame him for wanting some money, but...even though i'm 25 years old, i'm old school...you have a contract, you honor it.

retailguy
04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I totally agree, I'm not saying Walker holds aLL the cards Retail, he's also screwng himself big time. He's gonna lose alot of money short term (and maybe long term too).

Rastak,

I think we agree on this one, just expressed it differently I guess. I think Walker is close to being labeled "T.O. jr."

I think he'll have no choice but to play, and to play well. If he holds out past week 2, I'll be blown away. Every week after that costs him money, a lot of money. GM's are already watching and don't want that kind of problem, except for Jerry Jones, and he just signed Terry Glenn to a long term deal.

Not in the interest of taking a shot here, but in being honest, does anyone besides me think that Favre should be talking at this point? Not saying anything, when last year, he had a bunch to say, is pretty lame if you ask me. He either needs to apologize for his comments, or reinforce that he still believes them. I'll hope for the latter, but if the latter is the case, he needs to throw his hat back in the ring, TODAY.

I don't watch daytime TV, or much nighttime for that matter, and I'm tired of "As the Packers turn"... When is training camp? July? F---.

BooHoo
04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Get at least a 2nd Rounder for him.

b bulldog
04-16-2006, 09:07 PM
If we can get the 31 pick, make the deal asap!

Harlan Huckleby
04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
I think we agree on this one, just expressed it differently I guess. I think Walker is close to being labeled "T.O. jr."

No F-ng way.

Guy didn't even hold-out last training camp, you may recall.

I think people around the league view this situation a bit differently than Packer fans. Brett Favre interjecting himself into that contract dispute was the start of a deep bitterness. Walker has not been disruptive in his years at GB. Walker will get his change of scenery.

Deputy Nutz
04-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Lelie is all right, but he can't run a route to save his life. He can run simple post patterns and flag routes, but who can't? He is a tall target that can get down field. Just expect a lot of Cory Bradford like plays.

I would still take Lelie, and a first day pick, just to be done with Walker. Simply put it is bad for business.

Fosco33
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Lelie is all right, but he can't run a route to save his life. He can run simple post patterns and flag routes, but who can't? He is a tall target that can get down field. Just expect a lot of Cory Bradford like plays.

I would still take Lelie, and a first day pick, just to be done with Walker. Simply put it is bad for business.

It has been rumored that Lelie wants out of Denver and to compete for a #1 position somewhere. With the Walker situation and if the Pack trade for Lelie and a 1st day pick, is Lelie better than Driver?

Lelie matched Rod Smith for TDs in '04 (7) and had a better yrd/catch (20.1 vs 14.5) and gave up only 60 yrs on -15 catches! In '05, Lelie only had 1 TD (vs Smith's 6) and 42 rec for 18.3 avg (vs Smith's 85 and 13.0). He's been up with Rod Smith since '02 - if he comes to GB with Driver - who's better and why?

Lelie's Stats...

+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Rushing | Receiving |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 2002 den | 16 | 4 40 10.0 0 | 35 525 15.0 2 |
| 2003 den | 16 | 8 43 5.4 0 | 37 628 17.0 2 |
| 2004 den | 16 | 3 5 1.7 0 | 54 1084 20.1 7 |
| 2005 den | 16 | 5 84 16.8 0 | 42 770 18.3 1 |
| TOTAL | 64 | 20 172 8.6 0 | 168 3007 17.9 12 |

Driver's stats....

+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Rushing | Receiving |
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 1999 gnb | 5 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 3 31 10.3 1 |
| 2000 gnb | 16 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 21 322 15.3 1 |
| 2001 gnb | 13 | 3 38 12.7 1 | 13 167 12.8 1 |
| 2002 gnb | 16 | 8 70 8.8 0 | 70 1064 15.2 9 |
| 2003 gnb | 15 | 5 51 10.2 0 | 52 621 11.9 2 |
| 2004 gnb | 16 | 3 4 1.3 0 | 84 1208 14.4 9 |
| 2005 gnb | 16 | 2 13 6.5 0 | 86 1221 14.2 5 |
| TOTAL | 97 | 22 180 8.2 1 | 329 4634 14.1 28 |

Driver has had better stats than Rod Smith in TDs and just slightly with Avg and Rec. I think Lelie has more upside given his faster start (vs Driver) playing with a worse QB (Favre makes his recievers better!).