PDA

View Full Version : Third Round Pick 2019, Jace Sternberger, TE

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Round 3, No. 75 overall: Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Demovsky: http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/47081/green-bay-packers-2019-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

My take: Finally, someone who actually touches the football. After two defensive players on Day 1 and an offensive lineman in the second round, GM Brian Gutekunst took an offensive skill position player. And it was at their greatest position of need in that regard. They couldn’t get the top tight end, T.J. Hockenson (who went eighth to the Lions), and passed on his Iowa teammate Noah Fant. They also passed on Alabama’s Irv Smith Jr. in the second round and saw two more tight ends, Washington’s Drew Sample and San Jose State’s Josh Oliver, go before the Packers came around again in the third round. “Yeah, it was important to us, if we could do it, no doubt,” co-director of player personnel Jon-Eric Sullivan said about finding a tight end early in the draft. “Brian has addressed this with you guys, we always try to take the best player available. That's just philosophically what we believe in, and he was the best player available for us at this time. It worked out, and it was a position we valued. We needed to get a young guy in the mix, and we did.” Sullivan said Sternberger won’t need to be an immediate starter; that job still belongs to veteran Jimmy Graham. But there will be opportunities for the 6-foot-4, 251-pounder to help stretch the field. “There’s a reason I left early -- because I felt like I was the best tight end in this draft class,” Sternberger said. “So I have a lot of work to prove out for me, but I’ve always been in a situation where I want to take challenges head-on and that’s what I plan to do here, and just prove to Green Bay they made the right pick.” Despite a relatively pedestrian 40 time of 4.75 at the combine, Sternberger averaged 17.3 yards per catch in his only season at Texas A&M, which followed two years at Kansas and a junior college season. “I don’t think there’s pressure for him to come in here and be Superman,” Sullivan said. “We can throw him in that room and let him go. But we definitely think he has that skill set if needed.”

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:21 PM
CBS https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2179567/jace-sternberger
Sternberger, Jace, TE, Texas A&M

Ran a 4.75 40 at the combine but looks fast on tape. Is an effortless, crisp route runner, who snatches ball out of air in tight areas and excels at yards after the catch. Needs to get stronger as a blocker -- he's willing but needs work. Only has one year of production but is a reliable middle-of-the-field security blanket who regularly wins one-on-one matchups. . -- RW

ESPN http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds
TE, Jace Sternberger

6'4", 251 lbs
Texas A&M

4 POS RK
71 OVR RK
77 GRADE

Pre-Draft Analysis
Sternberger looks like a bulked-up receiver, and though he has experience playing in-line, he's at his best in the slot. He shows some craftiness as a route runner. He's a reliable pass-catcher and makes plays in traffic. He's a below-average blocker, but he's tough, and he competes.

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:23 PM
NFL https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jace-sternberger?id=32195354-4556-8639-5a78-bfa1754fcc8f

HIs comparison on this site was Jacob Tamme. Woof.

Overview
Despite his experience in-line and willingness to block in Jimbo Fisher's offense, he has neither the size nor strength to handle those duties as a pro. Sternberger is athletic with above-average ball skills, catch radius and route breaks that help him undercover on the second and third level. His paychecks will be tied to his pass-catching so he'll need to play stronger through route contact and with better focus when contested. He has eventual starter potential as a move tight-end who can function as a big WR3/4 from the slot.

Strengths
Talented route-runner with no wasted steps
Maintains pressure with good route speed
Sets off-man coverage up before accelerating past
Excellent hand-eye for smooth grabs on the run without breaking stride
Runs his routes like a big receiver
Keeps the same energy in and out of breaks
Slick outside-in breaks to cross-face coverage
Above-average hands
Plus in-air adjustments and grab radius
Athleticism and route savvy could create matchup issues
Runs with vision after the catch
Able to be shuffled around the field with various groupings

Weaknesses
Slightly undersized
Run blocking isn't where it needs to be
Gets caved into the run lane by edge strength
Initial block engagement lacks necessary leverage
Allows backside leakage due poor angles
Needs longer sustain as blocker in space
Route bullies throw his timing and focus off
Inconsistent finishing catches through contact
Can improve body positioning to protect catch space

Sources Tell Us
"You wish he was a little bit faster but he makes up for it with his routes. You feed him, get him stronger and you'll have an NFL starter who gets you 50 to 60 catches a year." -- AFC tight ends coach

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Looks like Andy Dalton's kid brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PL101R-I2o

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5odJgY3fw

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF0JYdMNxK0

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9121trOwzU

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QsB6H5Cj_8

pbmax
04-26-2019, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgEmBHCDik

HarveyWallbangers
04-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Not that it matters, but I was talking to a random A&M fan as GB was drafting him. The dude thinks we got a steal. :)

mraynrand
04-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Good routes, good hands.

Joemailman
04-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Jace Sternberger
Tight end
SCHOOL: TEXAS A&M | CONFERENCE: SEC
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-4.0 / 251 | 40: 4.75 | DRAFT YR:2019
Rankings
GRADE
PROJECTED ROUND
3rd
Pos:
Well-traveled tight end who watched his game take off last season. Smooth, quickly releases off the line of scrimmage into pass routes and immediately gets to top speed. Gets vertical, contorts in midair and comes away with the difficult reception. Nicely makes the catch with his hands away from his frame and consistently comes away with the difficult grab. Runs solid routes for a big tight end, quickly gets into breaks and stays low on exit. Fires off the snap into blocks, stays square and turns defenders from the action. Displays outstanding awareness.
Neg:
Does not display great playing speed and won’t consistently stretch the seam down the field. Must improve his overall strength as a blocker. Has a thin body of work at the college level.
Analysis:
Sternberger looks the part and really played to it in 2018, when he came out of nowhere to become one of the better tight-end prospects in this year’s draft. He needs to complete his game but is a terrific pass catcher who could eventually develop into a starter at the next level.

George Cumby
04-26-2019, 11:33 PM
Good routes, good hands.

Good pick, then?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-27-2019, 12:13 AM
Good routes, good hands.

White Dick Rod.

RashanGary
04-27-2019, 01:55 AM
Jon-Eric Sullivan had this guy. He’s gutes right hand man. Jon-Eric and Gute both hinted that they had him in the top tier of TEs. Jon-Eric said Jaces body developed late. Said he gained weight even during the season last year and kept it going into the combine. So they believe they’re getting a guy who will still get bigger faster stronger.

He has just enough speed to be fast enough but because of his feel and route savvy he plays faster than he times. Still times good enough to be good. He has excellent hands and feel for the passing game. He’s getting better and better as a blocker.

Sounds like a pick who has higher upside than the combine line will show. Both because he’s skilled beyond athletic testing and because his body is still developing.

Kenny Clark was another one who ended up being more physical than his combine line read. Sometimes these scouts are projecting beyond that, into what a guys full potential is.

Listening to gute and his guys, they think this guy is just scratching the surface.

Bretsky
04-27-2019, 05:39 AM
Not that it matters, but I was talking to a random A&M fan as GB was drafting him. The dude thinks we got a steal. :)

Great news; I value guys that closely follow our picks. Seems like a sound pick

Fritz
04-27-2019, 07:25 AM
I think I would have liked Irv Smith better. But maybe they just liked that Jenkins as a top-notch G/C better.

Sorry, guys. The Gary pick has just taken the wind out of my sails.

Bretsky
04-27-2019, 08:09 AM
I think he's a comparable player to Irv; like he pick

Like you Gary was a disappointment at 12 and I Love Savage but hate giving up two fourths. Too much when our cup needs a lot of filling

Fritz
04-27-2019, 08:13 AM
You want to get more depressed? Consider this: if it was Gutekunst's reluctance to give up two first round picks plus this year's second to get Khalil Mack, then it turns out that the treasured first rounder this year is Rashan Gary...

So, would you trade Rashan Gary, Elgton Jenkins, plus next year's first for Khalil Mack?

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2019, 08:44 AM
You want to get more depressed? Consider this: if it was Gutekunst's reluctance to give up two first round picks plus this year's second to get Khalil Mack, then it turns out that the treasured first rounder this year is Rashan Gary...

So, would you trade Rashan Gary, Elgton Jenkins, plus next year's first for Khalil Mack?

I'm confused. Wouldn't it have been last year's first round pick, so Jaire Alexander?

Fritz
04-27-2019, 08:47 AM
I didn't think they traded Mack until after that draft. I could well be wrong.

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Good pick, then?

He looks totally solid; fundamentally sound. APB thinks he's Dick Rod - not even close. This guy has flexibility and route skills. He has good hands and can make people miss. Maybe his ceiling is Gary Barnidge in his best years.

pbmax
04-27-2019, 09:13 AM
He looks totally solid; fundamentally sound. APB thinks he's Dick Rod - not even close. This guy has flexibility and route skills. He has good hands and can make people miss. Maybe his ceiling is Gary Barnidge in his best years.

:lol:

I wonder if we could conduct an experiment and compare all Packer players and picks to former Browns and slowly drive the board insane?

Fritz
04-27-2019, 09:15 AM

I went with Jackie Harris. I think he was underrated, myself.

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 09:17 AM
I went with Jackie Harris. I think he was underrated, myself.

Look in the rules section of this forum. You are not allowed comparisons across race.

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 09:17 AM

I wonder if we could conduct an experiment and compare all Packer players and picks to former Browns and slowly drive the board insane?

that was partly my intent.

Fritz
04-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Oh, the Tank rule. I forgot.

Okay. Even though in terms of skillsets it's not the same, I'll go with Paul Coffman.

George Cumby
04-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Meh, most of us are at least half way there already.

George Cumby
04-27-2019, 09:22 AM

Okay. Even though in terms of skillsets it's not the same, I'll go with Paul Coffman.

If A&M compares favorably to Harris or Coffman, I'd be happy.

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 09:30 AM

I met Paul a few years ago. When I first saw him, I though he was Mark Murphy, the d-back from the same era. He's totally bald. But he looked like a little guy! In fairness, I'm 6'3", but I felt like I was towering over the guy. Stern-burger (mmm...burger https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fassets3.thrillist.com%2Fv1%2Fimag e%2F1350379%2Fsize%2Ftmg-inline_related_item.jpg&f=1) is at least 6'4" Times have changed of course, but man, Coffman was not a big dude.

bobblehead
04-27-2019, 10:13 AM
I think I would have liked Irv Smith better. But maybe they just liked that Jenkins as a top-notch G/C better.

Sorry, guys. The Gary pick has just taken the wind out of my sails.

I finally found one reason to have optimism for Gary. He is about 1/2 inch shorter than Jedeveon Clowney. He was 11 lbs heavier. His numbers across the board were almost identical.

Gary is a Freak and by all accounts does whatever is asked of him. We will see if our new OLB coach (who developed Ford and Houston in KC) is worth his salt.

bobblehead
04-27-2019, 10:16 AM

Actually Gary, Savage and Elgton for Khalil and both those 4ths back. Plus paying that monster contract to Mack so you don't sign Preston Smith and Turner. It will be very long difficult road to see if it was right or not, but if ONLY Gary turns into a very good OLB Gutes was right.

Fritz
04-27-2019, 10:20 AM
I am trying to get on board with Nutz's idea that a change to OLB will make all the difference for this guy.

I've said I think Winovich will be a better pro than Gary. I stand by that.

Both are going to be converted from defensive line to OLB. Winovich ran a 4.59 40; Gary was a 4.58. The big advantage for Gary would seem to be that he weighs about 25 lbs more than Winovich. Yet look at Gary on film - he's not that physical. And Gary had 3.5 sacks last year, while Winovich had 5.5.

But okay, I'm trying. Maybe the OLB coach in Green Bay will be able to get Gary to play OLB and realize his physical gifts. It would surely be awesome if this happened.

pbmax
04-27-2019, 11:56 AM
I finally found one reason to have optimism for Gary. He is about 1/2 inch shorter than Jedeveon Clowney. He was 11 lbs heavier. His numbers across the board were almost identical.

Gary is a Freak and by all accounts does whatever is asked of him. We will see if our new OLB coach (who developed Ford and Houston in KC) is worth his salt.

He needs a move in the worst way. If he is rushing from OLB this year (as in that is the current plan) he should spend all his free time learning how to take off, get the corner, then bend into or leverage the Tackle to do a LT gravity swing toward the QB.

In between morning and PM workouts, he can eat a cow quarter and plan his business.

pbmax
04-27-2019, 11:58 AM
Wonder if ol' Brett has flashbacks to Jenn Sterger when he hears this news update?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/da/d4/28/dad428c51eee41445f68e5312ae1d3f9.jpg

Fritz
04-27-2019, 02:14 PM
I do believe ol' Brent wanted a Stergerburger.

I still kinda laugh about all that.

Brent: "But Deanna, baby, it's not really cheating - she looks just like you!"

Joemailman
05-02-2019, 06:29 PM
He's always been a Packer fan.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5LH-OZWwAE8L7T.jpg:large

RashanGary
05-03-2019, 03:12 AM
I do believe ol' Brent wanted a Stergerburger.

I still kinda laugh about all that.

Brent: "But Deanna, baby, it's not really cheating - she looks just like you!"

It’s not cheating. It’s a tribute.

run pMc
06-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Signed. I read somewhere R3 picks have considerable grey area in contracts per the CBA, so they often take longest to sign.

Also, they picked up some dude named Pharoh McKever who goes 6-6 260 off waivers. That's a big dude.

mraynrand
06-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Also, they picked up some dude named Pharoh McKever who goes 6-6 260 off waivers. That's a big dude.

Let my Packers go! Go Pack go!

gbgary
06-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Wonder if ol' Brett has flashbacks to Jenn Sterger when he hears this news update?

he had his flaws but taste in women wasn't one of them.

pbmax
06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
he had his flaws but taste in women wasn't one of them.

I guess it depends on what you like.

But he had a horrible sense of self preservation when it came time to choosing who to chase.

Or, glass half full, maybe he had an exquisite sense of preservation given he only had the one blow up in his face.