PDA

View Full Version : This Year's Draft

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2019, 06:08 PM
As expected, a bunch of know-nothings in here and worse, a bunch of paid know-nothings in the media are doing a lot of whining. Until proven otherwise on the field, I prefer to go with the idea that the Packer decision makers know what they're doing, and this draft will turn out all right.

Perhaps best of all, the powers that be had the good sense NOT to draft a wide receiver and not to draft a tight end or D Lineman too early. Position-wise, they did good. I didn't get the kicker I was hoping for, but the top two rated kickers and 4 of the top 5 didn't get drafted at all. Maybe we pick up Crosby's successor as a street FA. We also didn't do much to help at ILB, but I trust that the coaching staff doesn't see the need there that I thought I saw.

As for Gary, it's a well known fact that the Packers haven't hit it big on a draft pick for a long long time. I see Gary as feast or famine - the potential to be something like Khalil Mack or the potential to be a Jamal Reynolds type bust. The fact that we loaded up with edge rushers in free agency and the fact that we didn't have a whole lot of obvious weaknesses elsewhere allowed the Packers to gamble a little bit with that kind of guy.

As for Savage, to a lesser extent, he's kinda a feast or famine guy too. They learned their lesson with Clinton-Dix, going away from big time college performance and for athleticism and potential - kinda like with Alexander last season. And it was a need fulfilled.

We got a guy with nice potential who maybe can step in right away with Jenkins. I would think he stands a good chance to be an upgrade from all but a couple of O Linemen we now have. Another need based pick.

All in all, I'm more pleased than displeased with this draft.

gbgary
04-27-2019, 06:35 PM
one of the talking heads on nfl network named the Packers as one of the teams that "won the draft."

they filled a lot of needs. added depth on both sides of the ball. the D will look entirely different next season with the guys they got in the draft and free agency.

i'm really looking forward to the season.

Rastak
04-27-2019, 07:06 PM
As expected, a bunch of know-nothings in here and worse, a bunch of paid know-nothings in the media are doing a lot of whining.

That's a little rich given you are the MAIN know nothing here....lol....

texaspackerbacker
04-27-2019, 07:39 PM
says a scumbag troll from another team - NOBODY BUT NOBODY is lower than YOU in this forum. I would say eat shit and die, but I don't want to get banned (for the record, I'm not saying that hahahaha). I will say, get the fuck out of here and go back to the viqueen world of shitheads.

Freak Out
04-27-2019, 07:46 PM
For the record I like Rastak more than Tex. LOL

Rastak
04-27-2019, 08:06 PM
says a scumbag troll from another team - NOBODY BUT NOBODY is lower than YOU in this forum. I would say eat shit and die, but I don't want to get banned (for the record, I'm not saying that hahahaha). I will say, get the fuck out of here and go back to the viqueen world of shitheads.

Says the guy actually had the audacity to say he was happy Packer Jonathon Franklin could never play again so he might not someday come back to haunt Green Bay....that was the single shittiest thing I ever heard someone here say so I don't really care what you think about me. I KNOW you are a turd of the highest order....

Rastak
04-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Sorry Mad, not trying to drive people away or be a troll but this dude.....well, I leave his record to speak for itself.

Zool
04-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Sorry Mad, not trying to drive people away or be a troll but this dude.....well, I leave his record to speak for itself.

It’s all good Ras, everyone here knows what’s up. Tex’s bafoonery is well documented.

red
04-27-2019, 08:30 PM
i also would rather keep rastak over tex

Iron Mike
04-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Take it to the ring, you two!!!!!

https://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/c_limit,w_680/fl_lossy,pg_1,q_auto/o6n4cfq89g7dvyuhkdom.jpg

red
04-27-2019, 08:33 PM
can we do a poll?

who would you rather keep?

loser gets banned for life

don't worry ras, should be a landslide win, i don't know anyone on here that doesn't wish a slow death on him

Rastak
04-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Sorry guys, too much beer today, and Tex, try and get classey if you can.

Rastak
04-27-2019, 08:36 PM
LOL Red, gotta keep Tex if not for the comedy. You guys are funny...

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Stay classy, San Diego!

Upnorth
04-27-2019, 09:26 PM
You guys should take it to the meadow

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 09:29 PM
You guys should take it to the meadow

lol

yetisnowman
04-27-2019, 10:38 PM
I'm dumbfounded that we didn't use some capital on a dynamic athlete at WR. Other than Gary, it's not like I didn't like any of the picks specifically. I still feel like we should have targeted at least one guy we really wanted. This will haunt the Packers, mark my words. I'm so tired of standing pat at skill positions in early rounds and then just throwing shit at the wall in late rounds and seeing what sticks. And if you notice 1 or 2 of our starting receivers miss significant time every year, people never seem to factor that in. Imagine a scenario where Davante gets hurt, it would be a disaster. Or let's say MVS and Allison go down at the same time, you comfortable counting on J'mon Moore or Jake Kumerow playing 70 snaps a game? Would be great to have skill guys you are legitimate confident and excited about as opposed a handful of "Not sure what we have in him, but hoping for the best" guys. I'd love to be wrong and see a polished, efficient offense with a consistent group of solid receivers. We'll see. I will say I like the defensive depth added and that unit should be solid and rapidly improving. If that turns out not to be the case, the neglecting the acquisition of weapons on offense was an even more egregious error.

Vincenzo
04-27-2019, 11:08 PM
LMAO, well said mate.

The Shadow
04-27-2019, 11:10 PM
I was skeptical at first, but now I am coming around. I think we all need to give the Packers brass the benefit of the doubt.

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 11:23 PM
I'm dumbfounded that we didn't use some capital on a dynamic athlete at WR.

It's obvious that a lot of people agree with this view

Imagine a scenario where Davante gets hurt, it would be a disaster. Or let's say MVS and Allison go down at the same time, you comfortable counting on J'mon Moore or Jake Kumerow playing 70 snaps a game?

Nobody is comfortable losing 1-3 skill players. This isn't the reason to draft new dynamic skill players. You do that when you're not satisfied with what you have.

BUT, consider this: Almost all of the skill players the Packers have - whether you consider them skillful or not - were brought in by this leadership in the past two years: Moore, ESB, MVS, Jones, 2XWilliams, and all four TEs including Sternberger. Fans may not feel these players are up to snuff, but maybe the front office does. Maybe they hired a coach too who thinks he can get a lot out of them with an uninjured Rodgers running the show. And maybe they felt they spent a lot of picks - albeit many lower round picks - to fill these spots and now it's time to make it happen. Risky? Looks like it to many fans, but maybe not to them. We'll see.

ND72
04-28-2019, 12:08 AM
nothing brings out the hatred for each other more than draft season. For all you who remember years ago on the old JSO board, SO many people hated me because I stuck to my guns from day 1 in saying we should and would draft AJ Hawk. In fact I predicted pick for pick the top 8 in that draft. I took a beating for weeks until it happened.

This draft was interesting. Being honest, I love what we did. The thing to remember, this roster is not complete. I think Gutey showed last year he wasn't done at draft time and I would expect him to find a few more veterans before it's all over as well. I'm not that surprised we didn't draft a WR. I never thought this draft was very thick with receiving talent. I think we got some real solid players in every round, and it'll be interesting how they compete.

I think Gary is the kind of guy Pettine & company wanted on this team, he measures almost the same as the Smith boys we signed as well. Savage steps in day 1 as a starter, imo. The lineman and TE will compete to play right away, or at least be in rotations. The more I read on Keke the more I like him, and I've loved Dexter Williams for a while (yes, I'm a Notre Dame guy). I read one "expert" shocked Green Bay didn't draft a QB. Sorry but Kizer is still young, AND, most people either don't realize or don't care to know that LaFluer was his QB coach at Notre Dame his freshman year. The one thing I've noticed the past 2 drafts is it seems Gutey is really going after guys who can play multiple places, and are athletes. Some of Thompson's draft picks seemed really stiff and not as athletic (again, my opinion) than some of the guys Gutey has already brought in.

Keep it classy. It's football.

RashanGary
04-28-2019, 12:17 AM
Glad to hear the optimistic take, ND. I’m excited to see the defense this year.

Zool
04-28-2019, 08:22 AM
I hear what you’re saying ND, but comparing yourself to Tex does you a huge disservice. He’s an actual bad person, not just a controversial poster.

smuggler
04-28-2019, 08:53 AM
tex is just old and crotchety. Let him be. Rastak, please stick around. You give us good perspective.

red
04-28-2019, 09:04 AM
tex is just old and crotchety. Let him be. Rastak, please stick around. You give us good perspective.

Tex is the ultimate troll that doesn’t deal with reality

texaspackerbacker
04-28-2019, 09:18 AM
Zool, you're a damn moderator, aren't you? which makes you untouchable in terms of being criticized. The fact that you talk about buffoonery when you can't even spell the word pretty much says it all about you.

I started this thread with a "classy" post ....... oh ok, I took a jab at the negativists who keep croaking crap and don't have the courage to say anything positive. Maybe I shouldn't have reacted to the insult from this piece of scum Vikings fan, but it has just made my blood boil for a long time to have this enemy within posting in OUR Packer forum. We have Packer fans from all over the country, all over the world even, and agree or disagree, it's interesting to hear what they have to say. Why a God damned fan of our most hated enemy is accepted and tolerated in here, I don't know.

Anyway, regarding the Draft, my point was and his that the Packer decision makers know a helluva lot more than any of us or the damned media. Myself, I'm gratified that they did NOT see fit to go after a Wide Receiver - which I consistently said would have been all out stupid. I thought we needed an ILB early, but I'll yield to the Packer staff who didn't seem to think so. I thought we were already covered enough at Edge Rusher, but I can see how they decided to take a flyer on a guy who could be a bust or could end up a star player. Some in here were all panicky about how the team had "so many needs" - nope; I disagreed, and the way the Draft went, it appears the staff of the team didn't think that way either.

Glad to see some of the positive thinking people posting, not just the typical negativists.

Packers4Glory
04-28-2019, 09:20 AM
nothing brings out the hatred for each other more than draft season. For all you who remember years ago on the old JSO board, SO many people hated me because I stuck to my guns from day 1 in saying we should and would draft AJ Hawk. In fact I predicted pick for pick the top 8 in that draft. I took a beating for weeks until it happened.

This draft was interesting. Being honest, I love what we did. The thing to remember, this roster is not complete. I think Gutey showed last year he wasn't done at draft time and I would expect him to find a few more veterans before it's all over as well. I'm not that surprised we didn't draft a WR. I never thought this draft was very thick with receiving talent. I think we got some real solid players in every round, and it'll be interesting how they compete.

I think Gary is the kind of guy Pettine & company wanted on this team, he measures almost the same as the Smith boys we signed as well. Savage steps in day 1 as a starter, imo. The lineman and TE will compete to play right away, or at least be in rotations. The more I read on Keke the more I like him, and I've loved Dexter Williams for a while (yes, I'm a Notre Dame guy). I read one "expert" shocked Green Bay didn't draft a QB. Sorry but Kizer is still young, AND, most people either don't realize or don't care to know that LaFluer was his QB coach at Notre Dame his freshman year. The one thing I've noticed the past 2 drafts is it seems Gutey is really going after guys who can play multiple places, and are athletes. Some of Thompson's draft picks seemed really stiff and not as athletic (again, my opinion) than some of the guys Gutey has already brought in.

Keep it classy. It's football.
If you read the athletic you would see a story about Pettines defenses & he wants exactly as you stated

Zool
04-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Zool, you're a damn moderator, aren't you? which makes you untouchable in terms of being criticized. The fact that you talk about buffoonery when you can't even spell the word pretty much says it all about you.

I started this thread with a "classy" post ....... oh ok, I took a jab at the negativists who keep croaking crap and don't have the courage to say anything positive. Maybe I shouldn't have reacted to the insult from this piece of scum Vikings fan, but it has just made my blood boil for a long time to have this enemy within posting in OUR Packer forum. We have Packer fans from all over the country, all over the world even, and agree or disagree, it's interesting to hear what they have to say. Why a God damned fan of our most hated enemy is accepted and tolerated in here, I don't know.

Anyway, regarding the Draft, my point was and his that the Packer decision makers know a helluva lot more than any of us or the damned media. Myself, I'm gratified that they did NOT see fit to go after a Wide Receiver - which I consistently said would have been all out stupid. I thought we needed an ILB early, but I'll yield to the Packer staff who didn't seem to think so. I thought we were already covered enough at Edge Rusher, but I can see how they decided to take a flyer on a guy who could be a bust or could end up a star player. Some in here were all panicky about how the team had "so many needs" - nope; I disagreed, and the way the Draft went, it appears the staff of the team didn't think that way either.

Glad to see some of the positive thinking people posting, not just the typical negativists.

Alert the presses! I had a typo! I will hang my head in shame.

You’re still an idiot no matter how it’s spellt.

George Cumby
04-28-2019, 02:40 PM
Alert the presses! I had a typo! I will hang my head in shame.

You’re still an idiot no matter how it’s spellt.

Zool, you are a complete stupid asshole for that typo. Go fuck yourself with your sloppy posting.

There, tex, Zool's been criticized. Feel better now?

RashanGary
04-28-2019, 02:44 PM
I hear what you’re saying ND, but comparing yourself to Tex does you a huge disservice. He’s an actual bad person, not just a controversial poster.

:lol:

Joemailman
04-28-2019, 04:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028874/article/2019-nfl-draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

NFC North

Chicago Bears
Draft pick: Iowa State RB David Montgomery; Georgia WR Riley Ridley (No. 126); Kansas State CB Duke Shelley (No. 205); Florida Atlantic RB Kerrith White (No. 222); Valdosta State CB Stephen Denmark (No. 238)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
Draft analysis: Khalil Mack was 100 percent worthy of the Bears' interest. He played lights-out in 2018 and I suspect will be a force over the next few seasons, barring injury (which was a bit of a concern last year). There's no question he was worth giving up their 2019 first- and sixth-round picks, as well as the 2020 third-round pick as a sweetener. And parting with a 2020 first-round pick and swapping second-round picks with the Raiders next year may only be a minimal loss for the Bears if they are a playoff team and Oakland does not greatly exceed its win total from last season.

When they were finally on the clock Friday night (they dealt away their second-rounder this year in a draft day trade last year to land WR Anthony Miller), the Bears found their new running back in Montgomery, who can carry a heavy workload. They had to give up a 2020 fourth-round pick as part of the deal, though.

Getting Ridley in the fourth round was an absolute steal. I thought he was a second-round value. Shelley could be a nice slot corner. He hid behind Devin Singletary at FAU, but the Bears thought enough of White to pair him with Montgomery at RB in their draft class.

Detroit Lions
Draft picks: Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson (No. 8 overall); Hawaii LB Jahlani Tavai (No. 43); Boston College DB Will Harris (No. 81); Clemson DE Austin Bryant (No. 117); Penn State CB Amani Oruwariye (No. 146); Old Dominion WR Travis Fulgham (No. 184); Maryland RB Ty Johnson (No. 186); Georgia TE Isaac Nauta (No. 224); Arizona DT P.J. Johnson (No. 229)
Day 1 grade: B+
Day 2 grade: B-
Overall grade: B
Draft analysis: I love Hockenson as a two-way tight end prospect. He will be a strong target for Matthew Stafford and a nice blocker in the run game. But he wasn't the top player available: it was defensive tackle Ed Oliver. Time will tell which way they should have gone with that pick.

Tavai was picked earlier than expected, much like Kyle Van Noy was a few years ago, though NFL scouts believe Tavai can become a starter. The Van Noy pick didn't work out for the Lions, but hopefully this one will. Trading up for Harris helped the Lions meet a need at safety and he was an appropriate value.

Even with Trey Flowers in the fold, adding another pass rusher in Bryant made a lot of sense. Getting a big corner was a must, so I'm on board with the Oruwariye pick. The Lions needed the depth they added at running back and receiver, too -- and I can't fault them for taking Nauta in the seventh to join Hockenson. Johnson could eventually replace Damon Harrison, who's signed through 2020.

Green Bay Packers
Draft picks: Michigan OLB Rashan Gary (No. 12 overall); Maryland S Darnell Savage (No. 21 overall); Texas A&M OG Elgton Jenkins (No. 44); Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger (No. 75); Texas A&M DE Kingsley Keke (No. 150); Toledo CB Ka'dar Hollman (No. 185); Notre Dame RB Dexter Williams (No. 194); TCU LB Ty Summers (No. 226)
Day 2 grade: A
Draft analysis: Gary's production wasn't what you would have liked at Michigan and his off-field business interest turned off some teams. However, he has great athletic upside as a defender in the Packers' scheme. Announced as a linebacker at the draft on Thursday, Gary can play outside or inside and gives consistent full effort. Green Bay had an extra first-round pick from a 2018 draft-day trade with New Orleans (No. 30 overall). The Packers traded up, though, and selected Savage, who fills an immediate need at safety. He will be an effective nickel defender and will pop ball-carriers whenever possible.

Green Bay finally used an early pick on the offensive line, picking up Jenkins, a strong and long player who played every O-line position for the Bulldogs. Head coach Matt LaFleur needed another tight end, and Sternberger turned out to be a nice value as a receiving threat in the mid-third round.

The Packers got a steal in Keke, who could become a starter. Hollman was a former walk-on who starred for Toledo. Depth at running back was a big need for Green Bay, so Williams will get a shot to play early.

Minnesota Vikings
Draft picks: N.C. State C Garrett Bradbury (No. 18 overall); Alabama TE Irv Smith (No. 50); Boise State RB Alexander Mattison (No. 102); Oklahoma OG Dru Samia (No. 114); USC LB Cameron Smith (No. 162); Arkansas DT Armon Watts (No. 190); Wyoming S Marcus Epps (No, 191); Elon OT Oli Udoh (No. 193); Texas CB Kris Boyd (No. 217); Oregon WR Dillon Mitchell (No. 239); Colorado State WR Olabisi Johnson (No, 247); Air Force LS Austin Cutting (No. 250)
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: B+
Draft analysis: Bradbury is athletic and tough, considered one of the best center prospects to be picked in some time. Minnesota's offensive line was in dire need of improvement so this selection will make quarterback Kirk Cousins and running back Dalvin Cook extremely happy.

Smith is a move tight end who was a nice value. He could replace Kyle Rudolph as a receiver and throw his body around as a blocker. Minnesota needs to have a solid backup at running back due to durability concerns with Dalvin Cook, and Mattison is a durable power back who can handle those duties.

Epps is an athletic safety who likes to hit, something the Vikings needed to add in this draft. Watts is a disruptive guy inside who is just scratching the surface of his potential. They hit the OL again with Udoh, a good value in the sixth round. The Spielman residence should be harmonious with a cornerback not being picked until Round 6 (Boyd was also a good value). Johnson was overshadowed by Preston Williams at Colorado State, but he has a chance to make the Vikings' roster.

Gutey gets Straight A's!!!:pack::glug::pack:

pbmax
04-28-2019, 04:27 PM
^ Grade inflation

Zool
04-28-2019, 04:28 PM
None of them are lower than a B-. This guy must grade on a curve.

Joemailman
04-28-2019, 04:41 PM
Packers with the 3rd most athletic draft class according to RAS. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/28/packers-produce-third-most-athletic-class-in-2019-draft/

Only Sternberger rated low. He ran rather poorly at the Combine. (4.75)

Brandon494
04-28-2019, 04:56 PM
Just stopping by to say I love this draft, I could see every player making the 53 man roster. I wasn't thrilled with the trade to move up but picking great value in day 3 made up for it.

Gary has potential to be one of the best in the league if everything starts to click and he plays with a high motor so I like his chances. Clay Matthews also didn't have the greatest sack numbers in college but turned out to be alright.

Savage pick I didn't love at first but it grew on me. I thought we could have grabbed him at 30 but I'm hearing Raiders and Colts were very high on him so props for the staff for not taking a chance and going after their guy. Haven't had a 4.3 speed guy at safety since Collins.

I was so happy we went OL over WR in the 2nd round. Jenkins should be an automatic starter for us. Think he has a chance to play LG which will move Taylor to RG where I believe he's better suited. Protecting Rodgers is key and also improves our run blocking.

While we didn't draft a WR I think we found our slot guy in Sternberger. Excellent hands and route runner and still has room to grow. I think his ceiling can be Kelce level, he was rated the best pass catching TE in college last season.

Keke was a steal in the 5th round, this guy will be a starter for us in a few years. Think this might be Mike Daniels last season in GB.

Hollman is another guy who I think can be a steal, reminds me a lot like Tramon Williams. Former walk on in college who plays with a chip on his shoulder, 4.3 speed doesn't hurt either.

Dexter Williams is already a better runner than Jamaal, saw this guy run all over my Hokies this season including a 97 yard TD run. He has some work to do with pass blocking but another great value pick late in the draft.

Summers is an athletic LB but struggles in coverage, don't see him ever being a starter but will provide good depth and could be a special teams ace for us.

Hope you guys are doing well, see you next year! :P

GO PACK GO!

Joemailman
04-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Kool-Aid Drinker! :D Pretty much agree with everything you said. My only wish for something different would have been that Gutey find a way to trade down 5-6 spots in the 1st round. Picking up a 3rd round pick would have made giving up the 2 4th round picks less painful.

Bretsky
04-28-2019, 07:32 PM
Packers with the 3rd most athletic draft class according to RAS. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/28/packers-produce-third-most-athletic-class-in-2019-draft/

Only Sternberger rated low. He ran rather poorly at the Combine. (4.75)

Not a surprise; Gootie seems to value the athlete often more than the production. And maybe that is right. Often we've taken ssmash mouth football players w/o upside that turn to JAGs

Maybe if our coaching staff is phenominal we can turn underachievers who are great athletes into Pro Bowlers

Bretsky
04-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Just stopping by to say I love this draft, I could see every player making the 53 man roster. I wasn't thrilled with the trade to move up but picking great value in day 3 made up for it.

Gary has potential to be one of the best in the league if everything starts to click and he plays with a high motor so I like his chances. Clay Matthews also didn't have the greatest sack numbers in college but turned out to be alright.

Savage pick I didn't love at first but it grew on me. I thought we could have grabbed him at 30 but I'm hearing Raiders and Colts were very high on him so props for the staff for not taking a chance and going after their guy. Haven't had a 4.3 speed guy at safety since Collins.

I was so happy we went OL over WR in the 2nd round. Jenkins should be an automatic starter for us. Think he has a chance to play LG which will move Taylor to RG where I believe he's better suited. Protecting Rodgers is key and also improves our run blocking.

While we didn't draft a WR I think we found our slot guy in Sternberger. Excellent hands and route runner and still has room to grow. I think his ceiling can be Kelce level, he was rated the best pass catching TE in college last season.

Keke was a steal in the 5th round, this guy will be a starter for us in a few years. Think this might be Mike Daniels last season in GB.

Hollman is another guy who I think can be a steal, reminds me a lot like Tramon Williams. Former walk on in college who plays with a chip on his shoulder, 4.3 speed doesn't hurt either.

Dexter Williams is already a better runner than Jamaal, saw this guy run all over my Hokies this season including a 97 yard TD run. He has some work to do with pass blocking but another great value pick late in the draft.

Summers is an athletic LB but struggles in coverage, don't see him ever being a starter but will provide good depth and could be a special teams ace for us.

Hope you guys are doing well, see you next year! :P

GO PACK GO!

Good or bad I tend to stick to my guns. I'd probably give the draft a grade of B- or C+. I didn't want Gary before the draft and I'm not going to change my view from Gootie's sugarcoating or trying to talk myself into liking him but GB got him. I'll be happy if Gary turns into a multi Pro Bowler and would love to be wrong.

When 7-10 came off the board their were two clear calls IMO. Cincy really wanted Devin White or Devin Bush. One other obvious move I would have really tried was to trade from 12 to 10. Maybe you give up a 4th and 6th or a 3rd to do that. Or trade down and get an extra 3rd. The giving up the two fourths wouldn't be so painful.

ESPN reported Pittsburg really wanted Bush but Denver really didn't want to move down that far so it was hard for Pitt to seal the deal. Their defense hasn't been the same since Ryan Shazier had the unfortunate thing occur. With Bush they have found there guy IMO

I do love Savage, and I don't think he was falling to 30. Completely believe Goot there. But giving up two fourths to get the top safety instead of the #3 safety when they have so many holes was too much IMO. But I hope I'm wrong and while I don't agree with the deal I have Gute credit for having the balls to make the deal and move up and get him.

I'm fine with the second round pick and like he 3rd round pick. Getting a young TE with some upside was a necessity.

Losing both 4th rounders sucked

I'm fine with Keke in round five but I'd have preferred an ILB.

The rest are athletic guys we need to coach up.

Time will tell.

smuggler
04-28-2019, 09:03 PM
I wasn't happy with the trade up in round 1, until I heard it cost us the two 4s. Made it easier to swallow. Savage may end up as the best of the bunch. I feel that's actually the most likely outcome.

pbmax
04-28-2019, 11:16 PM
Not a surprise; Gootie seems to value the athlete often more than the production. And maybe that is right. Often we've taken ssmash mouth football players w/o upside that turn to JAGs

Do you seriously believe that the guy who admitted people have to remind him to take football players and not athletes was drafting smash mouth players?

Deputy Nutz
04-29-2019, 09:39 AM
If you are attaching a letter grade to this draft I hope it's just for fun, because otherwise it is meaningless. We will know more when the season start and these guys actually play real snaps. We can bitch and moan about this guy or that guy, but there have been draft picks that I have loved that didn't turn out. Aaron Rouse S out of Virginia Tech, I thought was the steal of the draft a decade ago, and the guy simply couldn't play football in the NFL.

Tex, I am not sure about your first line in the starting paragraph in this thread. I don't get paid to review these players and I don't have the time to sit and watch film on everyone of them. I do it for fun and to divert my attention. It's about the only time of the year that I can get on here and contribute. I am too busy actually coaching football in the fall to even watch entire football games much less post about them on here. Your negative swipes at people that try their best to contribute to this place are unneeded and disrespectful.

I don't see a lot to be pessimistic about in regards to this draft for the Packers, but at the same time I am not overly optimistic either. The have to play in order to figure out how good this draft was. So drink your kool aide and spit your venom about this draft in reality it doesn't matter until September.

Joemailman
04-29-2019, 09:58 AM
Do you seriously believe that the guy who admitted people have to remind him to take football players and not athletes was drafting smash mouth players?

There were guys like Ricky Elmore, Jerron McMillian, Carl Bradford and arguably Matt Ryan and Vince Biegel who would fit that description. I recall Bretsky was always opposed to the Carl Bradford selection.

Fritz
04-29-2019, 10:08 AM
On the other side, you could argue that those were later-round picks. But then again, isn't the later round where you take a flyer on athleticism?

Hell, I don't know. I'm just surprised Ted crapped on his own thread. But Ras is a big boy; he won't be scared off by some crabby old bastard carping at him.

pbmax
04-29-2019, 11:47 AM
There were guys like Ricky Elmore, Jerron McMillian, Carl Bradford and arguably Matt Ryan and Vince Biegel who would fit that description. I recall Bretsky was always opposed to the Carl Bradford selection.

McMillan and Bradford had numbers, didn't they. Pretty sure about McMillan, he ran some absurd number in his pro day if I recall correctly.

Biegel was just a shade below Watt and wasn't a stretch in the 4th. Bradford almost the size but not the experience to be outside.

I would estimate only Jake Ryan would fit the banger type description.

Joemailman
04-29-2019, 12:04 PM
McMillan and Bradford had numbers, didn't they. Pretty sure about McMillan, he ran some absurd number in his pro day if I recall correctly.

Biegel was just a shade below Watt and wasn't a stretch in the 4th. Bradford almost the size but not the experience to be outside.

I would estimate only Jake Ryan would fit the banger type description.

Bradford may have had certain numbers, but there was concern about whether his lack of length would hurt him at OLB. It did, as OT's simply engulfed him.

pbmax
04-29-2019, 12:36 PM
Bradford may have had certain numbers, but there was concern about whether his lack of length would hurt him at OLB. It did, as OT's simply engulfed him.

OK. But mostly, he was bad at football. He seemed to me to be a protection of physical traits, even if he was length deficient.

bobblehead
04-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Was looking at the last TT drafts and lamenting the 2015 stinker. I was thinking, man, its not just the draft, but the depth on the roster of usable pieces that really hurt us. So I took a glance at the 2016 draft. Gimme a what if that isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Clark was/is a stud, great pick. Now what if.....Fackrell wasn't a fluke last year. I mean, you can't completely luck into 10 sacks. What if....Spriggs adds enough muscle to carry 315 and suddenly looks like he can play RT in this league. Certainly a possiblity. What if in a contract year an already good Martinez steps it up to great...he added 15 pounds of muscle this offseason without gaining weight. What if Lowrey continues to be a solid rotational guy.

Suddenly that draft doesn't look so bad.

2017? More what ifs than 2016, but a year behind. King stays healthy. Jones gets to focus on being an ILB. Adams elevates to a solid rotational guy. Williams and Jones...well, keep being Williams and Jones. Again, not all bad.

I think TT digressed and was clearly slipping. I think he likely leaned more on his scouts in 16/17 which made them better than 15. I am more convinced than ever that MM misusing guys had a lot to do with the teams decline.

RashanGary
04-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Some people have a feel for blocking and others don’t. Spriggs don’t.

texaspackerbacker
04-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Tex, I am not sure about your first line in the starting paragraph in this thread. I don't get paid to review these players and I don't have the time to sit and watch film on everyone of them. I do it for fun and to divert my attention. It's about the only time of the year that I can get on here and contribute. I am too busy actually coaching football in the fall to even watch entire football games much less post about them on here. Your negative swipes at people that try their best to contribute to this place are unneeded and disrespectful.

Nutz, I DEFINITELY did not mean you. I appreciate your detailed analysis both before and after the draft as much as anybody in here.

My comments were aimed at two groups: 1. the assholic media - which is just about as bad in sports as anything else, and which was particularly stupid leading up to the draft regarding Packer needs, and 2. a few whiny posters who are afraid to ever see anything optimistically and who perpetually leap to negative conclusions. It seems like gradually after the draft, that bunch has been drowned out by the more rational types in here.

I agreed with just about everything you had to say in your post-draft thread. If it had come out a few hours earlier, I probably wouldn't have started this one - just commented in yours.

One true bit of negativity is that ever since Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews, our drafts have been blah/unlucky in terms of players developing into legitimate stars - Davante Adams being the lone exception I can think of. Going after Gary in the first and Savage in the second seems like an attempt to gamble on players who could easily flop, but who also could turn into the all pros we have been lacking. And we couldn't take those gambles if we hadn't already filled most of the holes in free agency.

Hell yeah, September, maybe even January is the time to judge this draft.

MadScientist
04-29-2019, 03:56 PM
Nutz, I DEFINITELY did not mean you. I appreciate your detailed analysis both before and after the draft as much as anybody in here.

My comments were aimed at two groups: 1. the assholic media - which is just about as bad in sports as anything else, and which was particularly stupid leading up to the draft regarding Packer needs, and 2. a few whiny posters who are afraid to ever see anything optimistically and who perpetually leap to negative conclusions. It seems like gradually after the draft, that bunch has been drowned out by the more rational types in here.

Not sure the media was all that far off as far as the positions that were taken. Most of them mentioned edge, S, TE, OL as needs and the Packers picked those in their first 4 picks. Now giving the loud, continuous, whining from a certain poster about a supposed need at WR, I could understand if you might have thought an actual credible source said that somewhere.

It's easy to pick apart a pick if it isn't the guy/position you wanted. In this case it it's fair to be concerned about his shoulder, given the tendency of shoulders to not heal well. It's also reasonable to be concerned with his lack of production. Some of it was scheming, but some just looked like he was controlled without too much difficulty. I think even the most vocal critic of Gary will happily eat crow if he turns out to be a beast.

One true bit of negativity is that ever since Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews, our drafts have been blah/unlucky in terms of players developing into legitimate stars - Davante Adams being the lone exception I can think of. Going after Gary in the first and Savage in the second seems like an attempt to gamble on players who could easily flop, but who also could turn into the all pros we have been lacking. And we couldn't take those gambles if we hadn't already filled most of the holes in free agency.

I would add Bakh as a damn fine player. (Only all pro selection since Clay).

Realistically September on January will give hints but full judgement comes in 3 years. Adams is considered a great player now, but for two years he was the Fresno Fraud.

red
04-29-2019, 04:09 PM
..Fackrell wasn't a fluke last year. I mean, you can't completely luck into 10 sacks.

i agree that you don't just luck into 10 sacks

i honestly have no clue what to think about him, do we have a stud in the making, or was it really just a huge fluke year?

the sacks did come in clumps, but so did most of clays over his career.

he did have more sacks then both our 2 new highly paid free agents had. its nice that he had the big year with one year left on his contract, so we had one more year to make up our minds

he is going to be one of the more intriguing stories for this upcoming season

pbmax
04-29-2019, 05:04 PM

i honestly have no clue what to think about him, do we have a stud in the making, or was it really just a huge fluke year?

he did have more sacks then both our 2 new highly paid free agents had. its nice that he had the big year with one year left on his contract, so we had one more year to make up our minds

Well being lucky and poor opponents will get you 5 or 6 of those sacks. But that is true of a lot of on year double digit guys.

He still needs a better move and a plan.

wist43
04-29-2019, 06:14 PM
For the record I like Rastak more than Tex. LOL

Yeah, but Tex's wife is hot :flm:

So he's got that goin for him :D

Joemailman
04-29-2019, 08:14 PM
https://theathletic.com/949929/2019/04/29/2019-nfl-draft-wrapup/

Green Bay Packers
2019 Draft Class: DE Rashan Gary (Michigan), S Darnell Savage Jr. (Maryland), C Elgton Jenkins (Mississippi State), TE Jace Sternberger (Texas A&M), DT Kingsley Keke (Texas A&M), CB Ka’dar Hollman (Toledo), RB Dexter Williams (Notre Dame), ILB Ty Summers (TCU)

Best Pick: S Darnell Savage Jr., Maryland

This is not an endorsement of the trade GM Brian Gutekunst made to get Savage, but in terms of the player himself, there’s no question Savage should be a significant contributor on defense. He’s the closest thing the Packers have had to Nick Collins in terms of athletic ability and range. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine finally found his free safety.

Most Questionable: EDGE Rashan Gary, Michigan

If the Packers can unlock Gary’s athletic gifts on a regular basis, this pick will make Gutekunst look like a genius. If Gary performs the way he did in college, with a limited pass-rush plan and intermittent production, Gutekunst will need to explain why he made such a risky choice with the team’s highest pick since 2009.

Sleeper Pick: RB Dexter Williams, Notre Dame

There’s no question Williams has talent. He averaged better than 6 yards per carry during his career at Notre Dame and held scholarship offers from some of the best programs in the country. But there were off-field incidents (an arrest) and a four-game suspension during his senior season that raised concerns about his maturity and professionalism. If he stays on the straight and narrow, Williams is a perfect fit in Matt LaFleur’s offense.

—Michael Cohen

Packers’ Draft in a GIF: Needy, not greedy

https://media.giphy.com/media/CjNifqd0JIgV6biOjK/giphy.gif

mraynrand
04-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Yeah, but Tex's wife is hot :flm:

So he's got that goin for him :D

Hey, I hear there's a party Friday at Pete's house - his parents are in Europe. I hear Pete's brother is buying some beer. You gonna play quarters?

Deputy Nutz
04-30-2019, 12:56 PM

I agreed with just about everything you had to say in your post-draft thread. If it had come out a few hours earlier, I probably wouldn't have started this one - just commented in yours.

Well Thanks Tex. Cobb was a pretty darn good player there for a while, I am not sure exactly what happened with his career. I am guessing his body is just beat to shit. I like the young, tall, and fast receivers that were drafted last year. I am excited to see if they can start breaking out. Alexander seems to have that swagger at corner, and not overly cocky either. To be a great organization you can't miss on your first and second round picks, and you have to hit on one or two late round guys a draft. I simply don't know how New England continues to do it. I suppose it is easier when you have the same system in place year in and year out and you can draft for specific types. They also know when to trade a guy and when to make moves.

HarveyWallbangers
04-30-2019, 10:02 PM
This guy loved the Packers draft. I didn't realize that, despite his "poor production," Gary was a two-time first team All-Big 10. That says a lot about the respect he had. Packers start at about 40:50. This guy was big on Gary and mocked Gary to the Packers. He thinks even more highly of Savage. He was big on Eddie Jackson of the Bears coming out, and he fills Savage will be similar (future Pro Bowl safety). Thinks both guys are phenomenal scheme fit. He also liked Jenkins, Sternberger, Keke, and Williams. A lot of draftniks really like this guy, Kollman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v3jh4c0oVE

bobblehead
05-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Some people have a feel for blocking and others don’t. Spriggs don’t.

Go watch the way he walled off defenders in college and come back and tell me you still feel that way.

Fritz
05-01-2019, 08:40 AM
This year's draft seemed okay to me, outside of Gary.

As always, though, none of us know until a few years have passed. Hell, I'm still hoping for a miracle from Jason Spriggs, though that's becoming about as realistic as a date with Drew Barrymore.

pbmax
05-01-2019, 10:02 AM
So its OK to acknowledge that drafting has been sub par since Matthews (2009) and its OK to judge draft picks early.

But its not OK to reach a conclusion that they stink?

Fritz
05-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Finally, you understand.

run pMc
05-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Might be worthwhile to pull this thread up in 3 years to see how Gute did.
I suppose one could do that with the previous drafts now, I think we know how 2015 and 2016 drafts turned out.

I admit it's foolish to flatly state a draft was horrible, player X stinks, or player Y was a good/bad pick. It's all just amateur speculation. I think at this point it's about perceived value...but yeah, I think the notion that you have to wait a few years before grading a draft holds water.

pbmax
05-02-2019, 10:45 AM
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2019/2019-draft-report-card-report

Packers ranked 22nd among draft report card graders. Range from A (Reuter) to C- (Maske).

Cheesehead Craig
05-02-2019, 03:29 PM

Packers ranked 22nd among draft report card graders. Range from A (Reuter) to C- (Maske).

What is funny about those draft grades from different places is that they get stuck in their head that a certain position was absolutely necessary to get in the first 2 rounds. If that position was not taken, that automatically means the draft sucked. There was a site I read that said their grade for the Pack was a C because they didn't take an OL in the first. Who they took, or whatever else was done didn't matter. Yep, professional sports writers are just as biased and stupid (at times) as internet forum posters.

mraynrand
05-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Yep, professional sports writers are just as biased and stupid (at times) as internet forum posters.

Stupiderer

Bretsky
05-02-2019, 07:24 PM
So its OK to acknowledge that drafting has been sub par since Matthews (2009) and its OK to judge draft picks early.

But its not OK to reach a conclusion that they stink?

Is SUCK better ? :)

Bretsky
05-02-2019, 07:24 PM

Obviously that didn't take the time to listen to Gooter and drink the magical Kool Aide

wist43
05-02-2019, 07:53 PM

No, Fackrell can't play... he fell into sacks b/c of Pettines scheme.

Front seven was our biggest need, even after signing the Smiths - it's been our biggest need for years. The infusion of Gary and the Smith's definitely made us a much tougher team.

Very good offseason by Gute.