PDA

View Full Version : Nutz's 2019 Packers' Draft Breakdown.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2019, 06:38 PM
Round 1
12th: Rashan Gary Edge, Michigan
6'5" 274lbs
40: 4.58 , Bench Press: 26, Vertical:38, Broad Jump:120 , 3 Cone:7.26, 20 shuttle:4.29

After Draft Evaluation: Low floor, and exceptionally high ceiling type pick. A lot has been said about his hustle and on field energy. I think the guy flies around the field looking to chase down ball carriers. His speed and athleticism is noticeable on the field, just not exactly in the production category. Gary will be moved to an outside linebacker in Green Bay's defense and I honestly think it will free him up to make plays. I think rushing gaps instead of battling chip blocks and double teams will help him. I like his ball get off, and he rarely gives up ground in the run game. I wouldn't say that he is a reach, but the fact that he will have surgery on his shoulder before the start of the season is a big concern.

21st: Darnell Savage S, Maryland
5'11" 200lbs
40: 4.36, Bench Press: 11, Vertical: 39.5, Broad Jump: 126, 3 Cone: 7.03, 20 shuttle: 4.14

After Draft Evaluation: I really liked Savage leading up to the draft. He played in a very poor defense and it wasn't hard for him to stand out. He has the speed and athleticism to play just about any where in the secondary. He is a stout tackler and is a turnover machine. I don't see a lot of weakness with this kid, but with that being said I think the trading up in the first round was a mistake. Giving up the two 4th round picks limited the Packers ability to secure other players in this draft at need positions that could possibly make an impact in 2019.

2nd Round
44th: Elgton Jenkins IOL, Mississippi St.
6'5" 310
40: , Bench Press: 29, Vertical: 28, Broad Jump: 109, 3 Cone: 7.77, 20 shuttle: 4.62

After Draft Evaluation: Big athletic interior offensive lineman that has really good feet. He excels in pass protection and is mobile in the run game. He will compete right away in Green Bay at one of the two guard positions. He isn't going to be a mauler in the run game. He is going to be a technique guy rather than an ultra physical road grader. He has the frame and length to move out to right tackle at the worst in 2019 he could back up 4 different positions. Great positional pick in the draft for the Packers. It isn't going to set the world on fire but it might be the best pick in the 2019 draft for the Packers.

3rd Round
75th: Jace Sternberger TE, Texas A&M
6'4" 251
40: 4.75, Bench Press: 17, Vertical: 31.5, Broad Jump: 113.5, 3 Cone: 7.19, 20 shuttle: 4.31

After Draft Evaluation: I don't know how big of a play maker this guy is going to be. I don't think his ceiling is all that high, but I think he could be a solid contributor for several years. He isn't a great athlete, I think there were better athletes at the position. I think the third round was about right for him to be drafted. I wouldn't call it a reach on the Packers end.

5th Round
150th: Kingsley Keke DE, Texas A&M
6'3" 288lbs
40: 4.95, Bench Press: , Vertical: 31.5, Broad Jump: 111, 3 Cone: 7.55, 20 shuttle: 4.46

After Draft Evaluation: Keke seems to be a good value for the 5th round. He doesn't have elite athleticism or ball get off, but he has some quickness and his length is a big asset for him. He is going to have to work on his timing and block recognition. Defensive line wasn't a desperation need for the Packers but they need the depth. I don't know if Keke will have the strength needed or technique needed to contribute in 2019.

6th Round
185th: Ka'dar Hollman CB, Toledo
6'0" 196lbs
40: 4.37, Bench Press: , Vertical: 39, Broad Jump: , 3 Cone: , 20 shuttle:

After Draft Evaluation: Hollman is one of those sleeper picks where none of the pundits were talking about him. The main concern with this guy is that he is 25 years old and played his ball against other mid major teams. His speed is a huge asset, and his willingness to support in the run game can't be over looked. I am not sure what his impact is going to be in 2019, but if he is going to make it in the NFL he better get started soon due to his age.

194th: Dexter Williams
5'11" 212lbs
40: 4.57, Bench Press: 17, Vertical: 36, Broad Jump: 130, 3 Cone: 7.0, 20 shuttle: 4.16

After Draft Evaluation: I think this might be the steal of the draft getting Williams in the sixth round. I like his combination of size and athleticism. He didn't an off the chart 40 time, but all his other measurables say that he is an above average athlete. He reads blocks well and attacks the line of scrimmage. He has the game speed to break away in the secondary. I had him rated as a top ten back in 2019 draft.

7th Round
226th: Ty Summers
6'1" 241lbs
40: 4.61, Bench Press: 27, Vertical: 36, Broad Jump: 123, 3 Cone: , 20 shuttle:

After Draft Evaluation: Strong, workout guy that put up some nice numbers in the combine, but his numbers don't translate. He is stiff through the hips and has a hard time diagnosing offenses. He makes plays because he is not afraid to get his nose dirty and attack blockers. His speed does help him in taking angles to the ball carrier. He struggles in space one on one with ball carriers. His coverage skills are below average but most likely because he can't flip his hips. I thought there were better guys in this draft still available.

Overall Assumption: Gutekunst seems enamored with workout numbers more than on the field production. Just about everyone of the players selected has optimal workout numbers.
I don't hate this draft, although it doesn't make any sense to feel one way or another without actually seeing these players play in the NFL, I feel like this draft went ok for the Packers. The two picks I like the most are Jenkins and Williams. I think Savage will have maybe the most productive career but the fact that Gutekunst gave up two 4th round picks makes me think he was overvalued. So far I haven't been impressed with Gutenkunst's first two drafts, but again I am more patient than the rest of you to see these drafts through.

SMBASS
04-27-2019, 07:06 PM
I didn't like giving up the 2 4th Rd. picks at all but they weren't going to get Savage if they stayed put at 30. There were several teams interested in him including Oakland and the Colts. At least they were decisive in determining he was the guy they wanted and didn't settle for whoever was left. I hope like heck it works out and the kid is a stud.

With Savage's speed and ball awareness I think it's going to allow the Angry Bald Guy to use some single high safety looks which will free up a player to be unleashed that the O won't know who or where they are coming from.

mraynrand
04-27-2019, 09:13 PM
Jenkins doesn't look as light on his feet to me as you seem to think. I think he has a better chance of destroying the guy in front of him than moving out to go get someone. He is mobile enough to stretch and get to the second level when required in the ZBS but I cannot see him playing tackle. But hell, I didn't think Taylor could do it either. In any case, teams won't be getting up in Rodgers face with this guy in there.

I think Williams is a totally solid technique runner with good recognition. Nothing special, but he'll get yards with decent blocking. Will the Packers have decent blocking? I think so, especially if Jenkins gets a guard spot.

I'm still concerned that Tackle wasn't addressed at all. Kinda shocked.

I think Savage will end up being spectacular.

RashanGary
04-27-2019, 09:30 PM
Gary - size and play strength make him a good run defender. Let’s see if he can learn some pass rush.

Savage - I’ve been wanting a fs who can handle playing one high for a while. Not many can. If we have one, it changes our whole defense. Perfect fit next to Amos as well.

Jenkins - one of the surest players in the draft. Should be a 10 year rock inside

Sternberger - Packers seem to think he’s a late bloomer and that he’s still growing into his frame. If they’re right, with his savvy and pass catcher ability, he might be a steal

Keke - Area scout loved him. Maybe we get another Dean Lowry rotation player.

Holman - high potential late round flyer

Williams - perfect scheme fit, character concerns, good bet to be solid runner though

Summers - late round. Who knows

RashanGary
04-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Earl Thomas, Nick Collins, Ed Reed.... there have been a few safeties in the last 20 years who really played a lot of one high safety. There are only a few because almost nobody can do it. One every 5 years or so comes along. If we got one, all criticism goes away because we are going to win games on defense. Period.

RashanGary
04-27-2019, 09:51 PM
The eagles had a guy for a while. Ghoston from SF did it for a couple years in his prime. Atlanta has a guy now. There are a few. But only a few. Nobody else can do it. It’s too dangerous.

George Cumby
04-27-2019, 11:40 PM
Nice write up, Nutz. Thanks for putting in the time.

bobblehead
04-28-2019, 12:18 AM
I kinda like Ty Summers as a project. I put more faith in the SS than anything else for a LB and his was elite. He'll clearly need work, but he is a high character guy with the right skillset. You never know.

SMBASS
04-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Earl Thomas, Nick Collins, Ed Reed.... there have been a few safeties in the last 20 years who really played a lot of one high safety. There are only a few because almost nobody can do it. One every 5 years or so comes along. If we got one, all criticism goes away because we are going to win games on defense. Period.

I agree with everything you're saying JH. Very few guys have the ability to play single high safety and if you have one of those guys it completely changes everything you can do on D. I think they believe they can do it with Savage and that's why they gave up so much to move up and get him. They really wanted this kid for a reason.

run pMc
04-28-2019, 01:05 PM
Gary: Don't like the pick. Started to reconsider when I thought maybe they were going to try and develop him into Wilkerson's replacement, but at OLB I'm skeptical. Maybe Pettine's scheme is better suited to him. He feels destined to be a bust to me; I hope I'm wrong. I would have preferred Brian Burns, personally.

Savage: I like the player, seems like he plays at a faster speed than almost anyone else on the field. I'm not thrilled at giving up 2 R4s for him, and wonder if Thornhill or CG-J would have been ok consolation prizes if he was picked before 30. I think the Collins comps are optimistic, but I think he can be a good player, especially paired with Amos.

Jenkins: Seemed like a weird pick to me, but if he can play C, G, and maybe a few emergency snaps at T then it makes more sense. Really valuable to have a guy on the active 46 who can do that. Seems like he stays on his feet and can stone guys, would like to see more nasty and quickness off the snap, but he did pretty well against a lot of tough DL in the SEC.

Sternberger: I actually like this pick, given they passed on Smith, Jr. I think he competes ok as a blocker, and plays faster than his 40 time. Also think he runs good routes and will likely replace Graham next year as his best football is ahead of him.

Keke: I figured they'd pick a DL given the supposed talent, giving up those 2 R4s might have cost them a shot at someone like Renell Wren or even looking at other spots instead. I don't have a feel for this guy, seems kinda JAGish to me, but he has long arms and seemed to line up against a lot of SEC LT's so maybe he can backup Lowry. He's a rotational/ST guy at a mimimum, and even if he makes the roster might not dress most Sundays. There weren't a lot of inspired DL picks after him, so...yeah we got another rotational DE. Yay?

Hollman: They brought him in for a visit, so I'm not surprised they took him. Seems like a depth/ST guy who could stick because of his speed and motor. Watched a little film and didn't see him get thrown at a lot, was able to cover guys in man pretty well. I'm ok with this pick because you can't have enough CBs and he might pan out.

Williams: Agree with others that he feels like a Jones/Jamaal hybrid. Was expecting them to pick more of a burner, although what few highlights I did see he had enough speed to maintain cushion on chasing defenders on his breakaways. They needed to get another back and he's a cut above some of the UDFA's they've brought in.

Summers: Not really a coverage guy, and not sure he compares to Jake Ryan. ST/depth guy to compete for ILB snaps with the likes of Crawford, and to develop on the PS as a backup plan for Martinez getting a crazy offer from Dan Snyder next season in FA. He's a R7 pick and not a long snapper, so I guess there's that.

I'd characterize Day 1 as gambles, Day 2 as need picks, and Day 3 as drafting on potential/future depth. I'll also say overall I'm not in love with Gute's picks, but he's the one with the job and I'm a random idiot on the Internet. I hope he's right.
Favorite pick: Sternberger. Least favorite: Gary.

pbmax
04-28-2019, 01:33 PM

Eagles DBs:

LCB Troy Vincent
RCB Bobby Taylo
SS Mike Zordich
FS Brian Dawkins

You mean Dawkins.

RashanGary
04-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Dawkins did for a couple years if I remember correctly. The big point is not many teams can defend the pass with 8 in the box. The ones who can have an excellent and fast free safety.

mraynrand
04-28-2019, 02:55 PM
Dawkins did for a couple years if I remember correctly. The big point is not many teams can defend the pass with 8 in the box. The ones who can have an excellent and fast free safety.

My recollection of Dawkins was that he was knowledgeable and instinctual, more than blazing fast. Saw him play live twice and he often seemed to know the play before the Packers/opposition ran it.

KYPack
04-28-2019, 10:23 PM
Eagles DBs:

LCB Troy Vincent
RCB Bobby Taylo
SS Mike Zordich
FS Brian Dawkins

You mean Dawkins.

This was one of the NFL's best secondaries. For a time Al Harris played the extra corner in nickel. Great bunch, there.

Thanks for the analysis, Nutz. Now I can start paying attention to the rookies.

I wonder about Gute paying too much homage to 40 times and workout results. That's gym class, we need top football players, not workout warriors.

pbmax
04-28-2019, 11:21 PM

I am not arguing with you. You mentioned the Eagles. Dawkins was the FS.

Fritz
04-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Nutz, thank you for putting this together. You seem to spend a great deal of time on your research, so I value your opinions on these matters.

Outside of Gary, and outside of giving up two fourth rounders to get Savage, this seems to be a solid draft. Looks like Jenkins can play, looks like Stearnberger can develop into something solid. And the others, later, seem to fit. The running back looks serviceable, the Toledo corner has speed. The defensive lineman from the fifth round looks athletic. Maybe he'll develop. I suppose if Savage develops into an All Pro I won't give a crap that they gave up two fourths to get him.

Interesting array of colleges, too. First two picks: Big Ten. The we go south, to Old Miss (or was he Miss State?), then A & M, then more Texas, then ND and Toledo. Ted Thompson seemed to like those west coast boys - Kenny Clark, Kevin King. Not sure if there's a wherefore and why to this part of it all.

If Gary turns out to be this great playmaking OLB, I will eat lots and lots and lots of crow.

Joemailman
04-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Nutz, thank you for putting this together. You seem to spend a great deal of time on your research, so I value your opinions on these matters.

Outside of Gary, and outside of giving up two fourth rounders to get Savage, this seems to be a solid draft. Looks like Jenkins can play, looks like Stearnberger can develop into something solid. And the others, later, seem to fit. The running back looks serviceable, the Toledo corner has speed. The defensive lineman from the fifth round looks athletic. Maybe he'll develop. I suppose if Savage develops into an All Pro I won't give a crap that they gave up two fourths to get him.

Interesting array of colleges, too. First two picks: Big Ten. The we go south, to Old Miss (or was he Miss State?), then A & M, then more Texas, then ND and Toledo. Ted Thompson seemed to like those west coast boys - Kenny Clark, Kevin King. Not sure if there's a wherefore and why to this part of it all.

If Gary turns out to be this great playmaking OLB, I will eat lots and lots and lots of crow.

The absence of WC guys drafted early is a real departure from TT. It wasn't just Clark and King. Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Datone Jones and Damarious Randall were all 1st round picks.

As for Gary, I don't know that he'll ever be a 10-15 sack guy. Pettine likes to bring pressure from all over the place, and I suspect they're hoping he'll help them do that. The guy causing the most havoc to blocking schemes isn't always the guy getting the sack. See Jadeveon Clowney. He's never had more than 9.5 sacks, but is hugely disruptive. If Gary can be kind of a poor-man's version of Clowney. he'll help the defense.