PDA

View Full Version : Bobbles Offseason Position group breakdown: Tight Ends

bobblehead
05-27-2019, 11:12 AM
What can go right: Again, Laflavor might actually use the position and players correctly. No more screen passes to slow as dirt Marty Bennet. No more telegraphing your play to the D by the personnel. Graham re emerges as a seam busting threat over the middle simply bullying LBs and Safeties for first downs. We might actually leak out a Mercedes on 3rd and 1 for a crippling 14 yard gain against a D loaded up to stuff the run. Hell, I even have high hopes for youngsters Tonyan and Sternberger. Its a tough league for young TEs to come in and play well, but the system and QB is ripe for opportunity.

What could go wrong: Graham and Mercedes are simply way past their best days and the youngsters aren't quite ready yet. Without anything resembling a threat at TE the premise of the entire Laflavor offense falls apart and we are stuck relying on Rodgers to do it all on his own again. I don't even want to think how that could end.

Bottom line: This position group will likely be below average overall this year. I fear the worst more than I am optimistic for the best. Would have liked to have signed a younger TE than Mercedes. We kept Graham because we couldn't get anyone better more than that he was worth what we payed him.

We still have a lot of problems on offense that can't be solved singlehandedly by Rodgers greatness and Laflavor's scheme. Expecting so much more from the same 3 guys and a rookie is a big ask. TE makes me nervous. I am more optimistic in a future Tonyan and Sternberger than the present 4.

Joemailman
05-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Lewis had a decent year in 2017 playing for Jax with Hackett as his OC. He was effective particularly off play action and had 5 TD's. I'll be surprised if Graham can get through the season without the knee being an issue, but he'll be in the 600 yard range. The young guys will have moments, but probably won't be a big part of the offense. I expect some improvement, but the position overall won't be a strength.

mraynrand
05-27-2019, 12:12 PM
The good news is that Sternberger is smart and is an athletic route runner. He should be able to come right in and catch passes. Bad news is that his smarts won't get him NFL bulk this year. Blocking will have to wait.

texaspackerbacker
05-27-2019, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis doesn't make the team. Tonyan and Sternberger are gonna need to show they can block at least a little bit, but if they do, I think Lewis is gone. If not, maybe Tonyan is the odd man out.

run pMc
05-28-2019, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis doesn't make the team. Tonyan and Sternberger are gonna need to show they can block at least a little bit, but if they do, I think Lewis is gone. If not, maybe Tonyan is the odd man out.

They gave him a pretty good signing bonus IIRC, so they probably want to keep him thru TC at least. I agree it will come down to Lewis or Tonyan -- Graham is the presumptive starter and Sternberger (unless he's a total flop) is the future. Sternberger needs work but he's at least a willing blocker and decent route runner so he should get some snaps.

It's also possible they keep 4 and let the FB (Vitale) go. If they don't have a traditional FB they will want someone to play the H-back role that Kendricks had last year.