PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Jones

Tony Oday
05-30-2019, 08:23 AM
He will have a BEAST of a season, prove me wrong.

Joemailman
05-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Like Kevin King, he's a very good player who needs to show he can stay healthy. If he can't Dexter Williams might take his job.

mraynrand
05-30-2019, 09:49 AM

I'll get back to you in December

Tony Oday
05-30-2019, 11:45 AM
I'll get back to you in December

Cheater ;)

call_me_ishmael
05-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Like Kevin King, he's a very good player who needs to show he can stay healthy. If he can't Dexter Williams might take his job.

Agree with Jones, WRT to King, let's just say he's a player who needs to show he can stay healthy. i haven't seen anything to suggest he's a very good player beyond his measurables.

run pMc
05-30-2019, 01:41 PM
King is talented and when healthy a good player IMO. The pros everyone is bigger and faster, and the collisions more brutal. I think King is going to have to adjust his game to preserve his health. He's a pretty lean guy, a physical press corner, and a willing tackler -- usually a combination that makes it tough to survive the weekly bumps and bruises.

Jones goes about 5'9" 205, so he should be able to hold up for 15 carries a game at most; he's not a bell cow back like Lacy. You have to play Jones as part of a committee, and you don't want to send him only on dives up the middle. The party line is he was lacking in the lower body strength, and that made him susceptible to knee injuries. Presumably he's had 2 off seasons to get stronger and prevent those now. If he's traded out fat for muscle and gotten faster than I'd think high expectations (especially if MLF is going to run more) are reasonable. I don't know if he'll crack 1000 yards rushing, but I'd think ~1200 total yds from scrimmage is realistic.

Zool
05-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Agree with Jones, WRT to King, let's just say he's a player who needs to show he can stay healthy. i haven't seen anything to suggest he's a very good player beyond his measurables.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneAa00.htm

call_me_ishmael
05-30-2019, 04:34 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneAa00.htm

? I'm not understanding what you're referring to here.

RashanGary
05-30-2019, 06:13 PM

Honestly, I had a feeling Williams and Williams would benefit more being taller, more one cut sort of guys. But Jones is such an athlete and competitor. He’s dialed in and in the best shape of his life. Jones is making me a believer too. This is his year and cutting junk food should keep him healthier.

gbgary
05-30-2019, 07:09 PM
he's already a beast. just needs some better luck on the injury front. hopefully he and the williams' will prove a potent trio.

texaspackerbacker
05-30-2019, 11:38 PM
Jones is exactly what you need as a change of pace RB in a pass first attack: a breakaway threat who can pass block and catch a few passes. Lewis, ideally, will be about the same. Jamal Williams, I still think, will get almost as many snaps as Jones and more than Lewis. He's not spectacular, but he's decent in all aspects.

Radagast
05-31-2019, 06:41 AM
The 2019 Packers will be different from what we have seen over the last few seasons. The new offensive system will look similar to the Rams and the 2018 Titans. What one must do is plug in GB's offensive players into their positions, but mentally with the Ram's Offense.

As an example: Imagine Jamaal Williams playing in place of Todd Gurley (healthy) or Devante Adams in place of Robert Woods. Yes Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Jared Goff, but the offensive system is the prime concern here. IMO, most will not have a problem with the transition.

I'm not as concerned with the offense as I am with the 2019 Packer Defense. The player additions/subtractions to the starting players have yet to play a down yet, but I don't foresee any real problems yet. Let's all hope that they are a top 5 D and will surpass all offseason expectations.

Winning the NFC North will require that they finish ahead of the Bears. I think that their chances are good to do just that, though it may be very close.

pbmax
05-31-2019, 08:13 AM
he's already a beast. just needs some better luck on the injury front. hopefully he and the williams' will prove a potent trio.

He needs to learn discretion is the better part of valor. Go down a few times on early downs instead of trying to run people over. Let Williams knock heads.

pbmax
05-31-2019, 08:14 AM
? I'm not understanding what you're referring to here.

I think Zool was posting about Jones but you were referring to production from Kevin King. Crossed wires.

pbmax
05-31-2019, 08:18 AM
Jones is exactly what you need as a change of pace RB in a pass first attack: a breakaway threat who can pass block and catch a few passes. Lewis, ideally, will be about the same. Jamal Williams, I still think, will get almost as many snaps as Jones and more than Lewis. He's not spectacular, but he's decent in all aspects.

When you say Lewis, you really mean Dexter Williams the draft pick, right?

texaspackerbacker
05-31-2019, 08:59 AM
When you say Lewis, you really mean Dexter Williams the draft pick, right?

Yes. Sorry about changing his name hahahaha.

Radagast: from your post above: "As an example: Imagine Jamaal Williams playing in place of Todd Gurley (healthy) or Devante Adams in place of Robert Woods. Yes Aaron Rodgers is a better QB than Jared Goff, but the offensive system is the prime concern here. IMO, most will not have a problem with the transition." This is exactly why I expect a smart coach - LaFleur - to modify away from the run-first they do in St. Louis. J. Williams, A. Jones, and D. Williams should be very decent, but they aren't Todd Gurley (healthy). Also, the Packers O Line isn't quite as good. Aaron Rodgers, however, is better than Goff by a wider margin than the RBs and the O Line deficit put together. And Davante Adams is at least as good as Woods. Also, I expect with more creative offensive coaching, the younger Packer receivers to flourish, not to mention Graham playing a lot more like he did a few years ago.

mraynrand
05-31-2019, 09:26 AM
The Packer O-line will be exceptional this year APRH. It all depends on what happens at that RT spot I think.

Rutnstrut
05-31-2019, 03:53 PM

You are not wrong, so nothing to prove.

Patler
06-01-2019, 12:31 PM
Re Jones realizing the run first mentality of the new offense, and his need to be ready for it:

Jones realized that not only from his first look at LaFleur’s playbook but also based on what he knows about McVay and Shanahan as playcallers.

So he set out to be ready for it. That meant remaking a body that, as Aaron Rodgers joked, had “a little bit of a belly.” And one that suffered three knee injuries -- all MCL sprains -- in his first two pro seasons.

“I like to tease Aaron Jones from time to time,” Rodgers said earlier this offseason. “He’s the most athletic, fast guy with a little bit of a belly. He’s pretty lean this year.”

According to Jones, he cut his body fat in half. He said he’s down to 5.3 percent from more than 11 last season all while maintaining his playing weight of 205 pounds. To do it, he cut out potato chips, cookies and candy.

He believes he's stronger and faster already and hopes it improves his durability after failing to finish either of his first two seasons.

“In OTAs somebody puts their arm out there and running through it, it won’t turn my body or torque my body like it used to,” Jones said. “I just feel stronger in the legs.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/297609/from-candy-to-quinoa-to-carries-aaron-jones-ready-for-new-offense

Joemailman
06-01-2019, 12:48 PM
That's pretty good, halving your body fat while maintaining your weight. If he can stay healthy, he could be one of the top RB's in the NFL as far as rushing/receiving combined yards. Had nearly 1000 yards last year, but he can do much better.

For fantasy players, he's a tough call. Tons of potential, but how often will he get the ball?

mraynrand
06-01-2019, 01:28 PM
I know this works because I doubled my body fat while keeping the same weight from only eating potato chips, cookies and candy.

pbmax
06-01-2019, 01:46 PM
I know this works because I doubled my body fat while keeping the same weight from only eating potato chips, cookies and candy.

You can do this just by sitting for 9 hours of football on Sundays.

mraynrand
06-01-2019, 03:06 PM
That’s a different exercise regimen

Upnorth
06-05-2019, 11:57 AM

he made NO reference to alcohol.

run pMc
06-06-2019, 07:07 AM
he made NO reference to alcohol.

or weed

mraynrand
06-06-2019, 07:11 AM
Alcohol and weed are PEDs for couch potato sports fans.