PDA

View Full Version : Honoring Bart Starr

Radagast
06-02-2019, 11:24 PM
With the passing of Bart Starr, I began to think about other great Packers and how they have been honored. Don Hudson, Curly Lambeau,and Ray Nitschke all have a building or field named in their honors. Bart Starr certainly deserves as great or higher an honor.

IMO, naming a street or highway for a deserving person is an honor, but it does not seem enough for Bart Starr. I'm not sure just what can equal such a great man. What is the name of Green Bay's Airport?

What say you ? :pack:

Anti-Polar Bear
06-03-2019, 03:16 AM
The airport is named in honor of Austin Straubel. WW2 hero. Some folks (Tex, Rand, O’Day, Roark, Rut, Wist, etc.) believe fighting fascism is more honorable than throwing a rock in an irrelevant game.

GB should rename one of its public high school after Starr. Don’t know a lot about Starr, but from what I’ve read, Starr lived life and played football with “grace in his heart and flowers in his hair.” Kids need to be indoctrinated with humility, not egoism. And Starr, from all accounts, was full of humility.

Radagast
06-03-2019, 03:47 AM
The airport is named in honor of Austin Straubel. WW2 hero. Some folks (Tex, Rand, O’Day, Roark, Rut, Wist, etc.) believe fighting fascism is more honorable than throwing a rock in an irrelevant game.

GB should rename one of its public high school after Starr. Don’t know a lot about Starr, but from what I’ve read, Starr lived life and played football with “grace in his heart and flowers in his hair.” Kids need to be indoctrinated with humility, not egoism. And Starr, from all accounts, was full of humility.

Not being from Green Bay or Wisconsin, I did not know that the airport was named to honor a WWII Hero. A school is a fine idea, but I knew schools that were named after people that I never heard of and never knew their importance. Perhaps a community sports complex would be a better fit.

Actually, I wonder if the Packers might have a building or facility that might bear his name. Are there any nice parks that would fit his statis ?

Patler
06-03-2019, 05:53 AM
It should be something related to team facilities. How about the "Bart Starr Atrium" at Lambeau Field?

texaspackerbacker
06-03-2019, 12:01 PM
I was thinking of the Atrium idea too, but what I like better is to name the actual playing surface for him - you have Mr. abc floor in Mr. xyz basketball arenas; Call it the Bart Starr turf at Lambeau Field.

HowardRoark
06-03-2019, 03:43 PM
How about re-naming Green Bay (the bay, not the town) Bart Starr’s Ice Bowl.

mraynrand
06-03-2019, 03:50 PM
How about naming an annex at police Headquarters the "Starr Chamber"

pbmax
06-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Bart Starr University of St. Norbert College

pbmax
06-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Actually, I'd bet there is an even chance you could get Associated Bank to rename itself Bart Starr Trust for a year, minimum.

I mean, no one in Chicago or Minnesota would object, would they? Or Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, St. Louis.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cms.ipressroom.com/231/files/20150/54c190dcf6091d05f300015a_Assoc._Bank_Sanderson_Pho tography_GB_WI_05/Assoc._Bank_Sanderson_Photography_GB_WI_05_407e703 7-e3c5-422a-8874-4c9e75808ba2-prv.jpg

MadScientist
06-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Bart Starr University of St. Norbert College

I was thinking the dorm where the Packers stay could be Bart Star Hall.

Or perhaps name the QB room "Starr Labs"

Radagast
06-03-2019, 10:06 PM
A few additional suggestions to honor Bart Starr.

Bart Starr Memorial Hospital

The Bart Starr Memorial Bridge

Bart Starr Memorial Park

Bart Starr High School

The Bart Starr Memorial Theater /(Opera House)

The Bart Starr Amphitheater

Radagast
06-08-2019, 05:47 AM
On September 15 in their home opener against the Vikings, the Packers will wear helmet decals to honor Bart Starr. While a single game with the decal does honor him, I believe the entire season should see the Packers honor him with the helmet decal. It would serve to both honor and inspire the team this season.

It is only a first step that should see many more.

Joemailman
06-08-2019, 05:53 AM
On September 15 in their home opener against the Vikings, the Packers will wear helmet decals to honor Bart Starr. While a single game with the decal does honor him, I believe the entire season should see the Packers honor him with the helmet decal. It would serve to both honor and inspire the team this season.

It is only a first step that should see many more.

The decal will be worn all season.

Radagast
06-08-2019, 08:22 AM
The decal will be worn all season.

Right you are Joe, I was in error. Thanks.

mraynrand
06-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Right you are Joe, I was in error.

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/f4/24/troy-aikman-111016-getty-ftrjpg_12cq27ou6zrlm1ueu3x82j60mv.jpg?t=1360841880&w=960&quality=70

Joemailman
06-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Right you are Joe, I was in error.

Thanks, Brian!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fs5IO6VVNnc/maxresdefault.jpg

QBME
06-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Good Golly...what nonsense - streets, schools, parks.....WTF?

A full life size bronze statue in a prominent place, lets say next to Vince at Lambeau...

It would be the highest honor Bart could ever imagine.

mraynrand
06-08-2019, 10:49 PM

A full life size bronze statue in a prominent place, lets say next to Vince at Lambeau...

How about just rename the state Bertsconsin?

Radagast
06-09-2019, 01:47 AM
Some of us were taught to have respect for our elders. They were the ones that made set the mark for others to meet or exceed. The Packers of the Sixties all deserve our respect and earned their HOF Bust. Bart Starr was the General on the field. For the most part he called the plays on the field. Following Lombardi's game plans, Starr lead te Packers to 5 NFL Championships and the first two Super Bowl Wins.

I never saw Don Hudson or Curly Lambeau play, but I still give them the respect they earned as they lead their generations of Packers. There was a time that disrespecting of elders would find one tied to the whipping post for two dozen lashes with a horse whip. So when I read post that disrespect those that earned it, I can only shake my head at the lack of class they are putting on display.

Yes, my post was incorrect, but I was also big enough to step up and say so. Jumping on to be funny is "Harry Highschool" and only shows who/what you are. There are even 35 yr olds that still need to grow up.

mraynrand
06-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Yes, my post was incorrect, but I was also big enough to step up and say so. Jumping on to be funny is "Harry Highschool" and only shows who/what you are. There are even 35 yr olds that still need to grow up.

If we wanted to grow up, we wouldn't come here! :)

pbmax
06-09-2019, 09:52 AM

He already has a statue. 2 of them, basically.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/15/1d/c0/photo3jpg.jpg

pbmax
06-09-2019, 09:54 AM
And no, he is not asking the young lady to hold his fire hydrant.

https://i2.wp.com/www.offourrockerrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2018-06-wk2-5.jpg?fit=791%2C1024&ssl=1

pbmax
06-09-2019, 09:59 AM
There is also Bart Starr Dr.

https://www.packers.com/photos/bart-starr-dr-dedication-ceremony-10156424#a532eb48-b776-4467-a857-6310b967d086

mraynrand
06-09-2019, 11:00 AM

https://i2.wp.com/www.offourrockerrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/2018-06-wk2-5.jpg?fit=791%2C1024&ssl=1

“Fire hydrant”

Egads that’s ugly. That ‘little girl’ looks like the landlord from “kingpin”

Almost as bad as:

https://images.app.goo.gl/cN7uroVQNPDmZVUh6

Radagast
06-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Friends, I greatly respect all of the fine statues and other honors that GB has bestowed upon Bart Starr. My reasoning was aimed at something that would not only last, but be recognised on a national level. The Don Hutson Center is recognised nationally recognised, as is Lambeau Field and Ray Nitschke Field. The Bart Starr Atrium at Lambeau Field sounded real fine.

ThunderDan
06-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Well, you made it about 3 months between your usual being an ass posts. If you hate it so much please leave.

To be honest the last few months you have actually posted some relevant content and I have enjoyed reading some of it.

Cheesehead Craig
06-09-2019, 04:25 PM
I think there's a whole lot of stuff already honoring Starr. He's regarded as a legendary figure in Packers lore, which is no small feat. I don't believe that there needs to be anything else named after him. I like the decals idea.

mraynrand
06-09-2019, 05:45 PM
I think the only thing we can do that will satisfy the die hard Bart Starr fans will be to launch a 40 foot diamond statue on a trajectory towards andromeda. Aliens from that galaxy will discover it in millions of years and be able to bow (or whatever obeisance their appendages allow) before it and offer worship and praise. Anything less is a an affront to Starr's memory and legacy.

Joemailman
06-09-2019, 07:49 PM
One idea I've heard that I like is to paint a star with the number 15 in the middle of it at the very spot on the goal line where Starr scored on the sneak to win the Ice Bowl.

HowardRoark
06-09-2019, 09:57 PM

What about the Resch Center one? Is that 3 then?

pbmax
06-09-2019, 09:58 PM
What about the Resch Center one? Is that 3 then?

I only know of the two. Could be.

Radagast
06-10-2019, 04:22 AM
ThunderDan, as you accept low class behavior as normal, I can only restrain myself from describing just how I picture you to be.

While statues and street names will serve to forever keep Bart Starr a part of the local GB area, even now the younger fans do not know just how important B.Starr was and still is. He set the standard for NFL QB's on and off of the football field. He was the field general that never lost his cool and persevered through the bad plays/games to win in the end. We honor other famous people for their singular accomplishments or life achievements. John Wayne has an airport named for him, George Washington has a national forest named for him, and even John Paul Jones has an arena in Charlottesville named in his honor.

A High School, Hospital, National Medical Research Lab, a regional youth sports training center, petition to have a future Naval ship named for him, the possibilities should be explored. We remember Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and even J.Edgar Hover, let's not drop the ball with Bart Starr.

ThunderDan
06-10-2019, 09:25 AM
ThunderDan, as you accept low class behavior as normal, I can only restrain myself from describing just how I picture you to be.

When you walk into a dive bar and you don't like it, do you yell at the people inside to clean the place up? Do you tell the owner to serve better beer? Do you tell them how they should run their bar?

As you think your standards are the only ones that should be considered, I can only restrain myself from describing just how I picture you to be.

mraynrand
06-10-2019, 10:14 AM
I like that. Packerrats: “The dive bar of the internet.” Should be on the front page.

Cheesehead Craig
06-10-2019, 12:26 PM
I like that. Packerrats: “The dive bar of the internet.” Should be on the front page.

Or we could go with Packerrats: "Bart Starr's favorite dive bar of the internet". Gotta keep the posts on topic.

pbmax
06-10-2019, 03:15 PM
"Bart Starr Would Never Set Foot Here"

mraynrand
06-10-2019, 06:34 PM
"Bart Starr Would Never Set Foot Here"

I would never join a blog forum that would allow me to post.

mraynrand
06-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Or we could go with Packerrats: "Bart Starr's favorite dive bar of the internet". Gotta keep the posts on topic.

Gotta believe that would bring on a libel suit. Madton would have to surrender his sombrero.

pbmax
06-10-2019, 06:58 PM
"Only the angry family members of Packers post here"

Cheesehead Craig
06-11-2019, 08:03 AM
"Starrats: Where people sneak in like Bart"

mraynrand
06-11-2019, 11:28 AM
"Only the angry family members of Packers post here"

- Gregg Jennings' Sister

pbmax
06-11-2019, 12:01 PM
How large is this helmet decal going to be? Will it be sufficiently large?