PDA

View Full Version : Real Football returns North of the Border

Upnorth
06-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Its about that time of year again, one week away from the start of the CFL football season.

So we have our last preseason games starting in a few hours and then it really starts to matter.
As a passionate Rider fan I know the rest of this season is looking up to me, and we will see a massive improvement. Losing 37-1 against Calgary means we can only get better... right?

Give it a look guys,
https://www.cfl.ca/

P.S. The new Montreal Logo is a disgrace IMO

mraynrand
06-06-2019, 11:58 AM
I need my Mike Sherman and Johhny Manzier 'reinstatement' updates.

Upnorth
06-06-2019, 04:33 PM
I need my Mike Sherman and Johhny Manzier 'reinstatement' updates.

Hot off the February press
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-directs-alouettes-to-terminate-johnny-manziel-s-contract-1.5035959

Even less current
https://www.cfl.ca/tag/mike-sherman/
I believe he is still with the Al's and that would explain the horrible new logo.

KYPack
06-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Mike Sherman was fired by the Als today, a few days short of their CFL opening game.

4th down Johnny Manziel was released in the off-season for some mystery violation.

The Montreal team is now owned by the league and may fold or move this year.

Anti-Polar Bear
06-08-2019, 12:26 PM
Mike Sherman was fired by the Als today, a few days short of their CFL opening game.

4th down Johnny Manziel was released in the off-season for some mystery violation.

Soon to be breaking news: Ocho Cinco Bengals hire Sherman as offensive consultant, assistant hc and assistant GM. The kid coaching the Bengals is Sherm's son via unionship with his daughter.

Btw Johnny Football will rock the XFL, and then return gloriously to NFL.

Upnorth
06-08-2019, 12:49 PM
https://www.cfl.ca/2019/06/08/als-mike-sherman-party-ways/

Khari Jones new head coach.. Lol

mraynrand
06-08-2019, 12:55 PM

Poor shermy.

Upnorth
06-13-2019, 04:23 PM
Riders take on the Hamilton ticats tonight as your Saskatchewan roughriders start their quest for the grey cup!

Upnorth
06-14-2019, 10:40 AM
Riders lost @ hamilton, 17-23 last night, almost getting a come back with our third string QB. On the first drive Zach Collaros (starter) was knocked out with a concussion, and he was shutdown in the last game of the regular season by a concussion last year. He is not a great qb, but good and this is ungood...
Then our second stringer was lost in the third quarter... sigh.

Still held last years best offence to only 23 when we did not have a dependable O ourselves. Thank goodness we had the second best running game last year.

Upnorth
06-27-2019, 11:12 AM
So Week 3 starts tonight and we have the Hamilton TiCats looking like the team to beat. A solid D with a high powered O, and in the east division only Ottawa looks like it can field much of a team to compete.
IN the west Edmonton has the lead at 2-0 but Winnipeg does look like a decent threat.

Your Saskatchewan Roughriders lost to the Ottawa Red Blacks by a field goal last week in a high scoring 44-41 game in Ottawa. Despite losing their starting QB in the first quarter of the first game the O has stayed competitive in both games and made solid improvements. Unfortunately last years d has regressed somewhat. Having lost both games so far one would expect doom and gloom here in riderville, but we are mostly hopeful. Both were away games that had rookie qbs in a position to win on the last drive, and facing the Toronto Agros at our home opener on monday is just the prescription these Riders need for the first W this year, and what a great way to celebrate Canada Day eh!

So on July 1st grab a Molson Canadian and cheer on the RoughRiders! (5PM CST)

Fritz
06-27-2019, 12:40 PM
The last time I saw a reference to a "Roughrider" I was in a men's room in 1989 looking over the condom selection in the dispensing machine. I couldn't decide between that one and the one that was "ribbed, for her pleasure."

Upnorth
06-27-2019, 03:04 PM
There is a reason why Saskatchewan women tend to be bow legged :-)

Zool
06-27-2019, 03:24 PM

Fat men?

Upnorth
07-01-2019, 09:13 PM
At family camp, just checking the score, 25-0 riders, currently on weather delay.

Go riders go!!!

Happy Canada day eh

mraynrand
07-02-2019, 08:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl03NlOZYnQ

Upnorth
07-09-2019, 03:49 PM
So Calgary destroyed us 37-10. First game I could attend this year. Best part was the pregame when a friend who brews game me an awesome IPA and a devastating (12%) dark. I was feeling way to good on the walk there.
We had a chance at the start as it was tied 0-0 during the coin flip.

Radagast
07-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Upnorth,

Do the Roughriders play in Regina or Saskatoon or both?

How important is speed in the CFL?

Can you contrast / compare the CFL with the NFL?

Upnorth
07-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Upnorth,

Regina only.

More important as the field is wider and longer. Players are a touch smaller and most exnflers are amazed at the skill up here.

Extra d player to make up for the larger field. Qbs have to be mobile. 3 downs make it more downfield and because of the pass emphasis runners tend to have better averages but less production. Mare safeties, and you get a single if you miss a field goal unless it is run out.

Our balls are bigger. Our footballs also.

George Cumby
07-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Upnorth,

Nice try.

Radagast
07-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Nice try.

Nice try at what? The gentleman gave a better response than you have.

George Cumby
07-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Nice try at what? The gentleman gave a better response than you have.

Well that's not saying much.

Upnorth
07-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Well that's not saying much.

Awww, you don't think I'm much of a gentleman.:cry:

Upnorth
07-10-2019, 03:24 PM
In the West division Winnipeg looks like the team to beat. Solid in all three phases and with Calgary loosing the best qb in the league they don't appear to have a challenger right now, and just when I thought teh riders were gaining momentum, well lets not talk about that right now.

IN the East Hamilton is the odds on favorite and have been since the start of the season.

One interesting stat is Toronto Argos. 0-3 and -96 points. In three games they have been outscored by 96 points. That is an average of 32 points a game. I don't know if I have seen anything like this before.

mraynrand
07-10-2019, 03:28 PM

at least you're not fluffy whipped nougat.

George Cumby
07-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Naw. You're a real gem. My point was my posts aren't much to write home about.

Don't be so sensitive, you big Canuck baby.

Upnorth
07-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Having finally recovered from Cumby's last rude statement here is a quick CFL update.

GO RIDERS GO,
We got back on the winning side of the ledger with a win against the BC Lions, which is kind of like beating the Vikings with Christian Ponder, if you don't wtf are you even doing.

Winnipeg is the clear leader in the CFL, playing solid O and D, but it is a long season and they have been lucky on the injury front.
Calgary is suddenly struggling so second place in the west is up for grabs and with the riders O stabilizing we could make a push.

In the East it is Hamilton then a suprising Al's team that have won almost as many games as I would have given them for the season. I had them beating Toronto 3 times and bc twice for 5 on the season. They are at 3 already with 3 wins in a row against Ottawa Hamilton and Edmonton. This might be the best football the east division has had on a few years.

Winnipeg at hamilton will tell a large tale of the state of the league, and with The riders @ the lions we should be back to .500 ball thank god.

Radagast
07-23-2019, 11:15 PM
Canadian Football, while deserving of support, holds a place for many in the US as a version of minor league sports. Few follow it like the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

I enjoy reading Upnorth's CFL reports, but the players, rules, and most CFL teams are unfamiliar to me. That said, I still support post on the CFL and will moving forward.

Crud and disrespectful posters simply show all that their post merit no respect.

:wave:

Upnorth
07-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Canadian Football, while deserving of support, holds a place for many in the US as a version of minor league sports. Few follow it like the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

I enjoy reading Upnorth's CFL reports, but the players, rules, and most CFL teams are unfamiliar to me. That said, I still support post on the CFL and will moving forward.

Crud and disrespectful posters simply show all that their post merit no respect.

:wave:

For the record, I appreciated Mr Cumby's post and was not offended. I like that kind of give and take humor.
As to the rules of the cfl just think 1 less down and basically everything but the players are bigger.

Upnorth
07-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Riders Destroy Lions 45-18, Winnipeg loses to Hamilton, good weekend for the CFL.

Our 3rd string QB is turning into something we can appreciate. He is averaging 9.5 yrds per pass, completing 73.3% and has a 2.7% int rate. We are a running team, but I am impressed by this. He has only started 5 games so far and played the 4th quarter of another. Can't complain (yet)

Upnorth
08-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Riders take on Hamilton at 8:30 EST. O recommend you try to watch it if you can, should be a good game and is important

Upnorth
08-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Holy crap, what a great night in the CFL. The riders come from behind to beat Hamilton and move to 4-3 on the season in a good game and great 4th quarter by our team. But just before that the sad sack Toronto Argonauts beat the great Winnipeg bluebombers!!!!! Could not have been better for the rides last night

Upnorth
08-06-2019, 01:37 PM
So going into week 9 we have the riders in 3rd place in the west due to a better division record over the eskimos, both at 4-3. Calgary and Winnipeg are tied at 5-2 with Calragry having the intra division advantage.
The east has Hamilton at 5-2 followed by Montreal at 3-3.

The Riders play at Montreal in what has become a suprisingly important mid season game for two teams in separate divisions. Another important game is Calgary @ Winnipeg for 1st in the west.

Go Riders GO!

Upnorth
08-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Riders continue their win streak after a weather shortened game. Ww got two defensive touchdowns and our o basically forgot to show last night, but a win is a win.

Winnipeg leads the West at 6-2 with Saskatchewan Calgary and Edmonton all fighting for second at 5-3.

esoxx
08-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Really hate weather shortened football games, save that crap for baseball.

Football is a game that needs to be played to the end given inherent strategies and physicality involved. You run certain plays to get looks which you exploit later in the game based on adjustments made. You also wear down a team, some strategies purposely knowing you're likely to only get a small gain but it's part of the wear factor for later. It's schematic.

They either need to cancel game in advance due to weather forecast and reschedule, or replay the game from the start, or cancel it altogether. All three of those options based on weather are better than allowing the partial game results to stand.

Same applies to the NFL. If they start accepting partial game results based on OH NO THE WEATHER then the game of professional football will drift further to WWE territory with joke results. Much like we got with the absurd QB sack rules last season. Ridiculous.

Upnorth
08-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Huge games this weekend with the labour day classic schedule. The games this weekend are looked forward to by fans all year but for the riders there is an extra incentive to win. 8-2 first place in the West Winnipeg comes to 6-3 second place in the West Saskatchewan. If the riders can win we turn around and go to Winnipeg next weekend for what is known as the banjo bowl.
This may not mean a lot for most of yo, but think of it like back to back home and away bears weeks.

Go Rider's Go!!!

Vincenzo
08-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Huge games this weekend with the labour day classic schedule. The games this weekend are looked forward to by fans all year but for the riders there is an extra incentive to win. 8-2 first place in the West Winnipeg comes to 6-3 second place in the West Saskatchewan. If the riders can win we turn around and go to Winnipeg next weekend for what is known as the banjo bowl.
This may not mean a lot for most of yo, but think of it like back to back home and away bears weeks.

Go Rider's Go!!!
Yes, the Argos play Hamilton on Monday. Argos are having a great year, if they win the Labor day classic they’ll chalk up their 2nd win of the season. Arrrrrrrrgoooooos.

Upnorth
08-28-2019, 01:18 PM
They beat winnipeg and I am sooooo grateful for that.

Upnorth
09-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Riders win the labor day classic 19-17 on a last play of the game field goal. Drive started on our 5 with less than 3 minutes. Thing of beauty. Going to Winnipeg next week playing for first in the West!

Upnorth
09-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Well, yesterday didn't go to well for the riders. They had a chance to get first place in the West by beating Winnipeg but they chose not to show up. The 31-10 loss was our first loss in the last 7 games and it came against a team with their back up QB starting. The first drive of the game had we had Winnipeg backed up to their 5 yard line but they scored after a big pass interference call in our end zone. It seemed like the team just didn't want to play after that.
We are at home against Montreal next week so we should bounce back with a win.

Also of note, the best QB in the league (imo) bo Mitchell Levi came back to Calgary this week and they destroyed Edmonton so they have become more dangerous again as well.

Upnorth
09-14-2019, 11:00 PM
Riders beat Montreal in a close game. Go riders go!

Upnorth
11-02-2019, 11:40 PM
So the riders have won the West division crown this year! Means we get a bye week, home field playoff game and the inside track to the grey cup.

Go Riders go!

Radagast
11-03-2019, 02:41 AM
So the riders have won the West division crown this year! Means we get a bye week, home field playoff game and the inside track to the grey cup.

Go Riders go!

Don't follow the Grey Cup. What record did your team finish with?

Upnorth
11-03-2019, 08:52 AM
13-5 in the highly competitive West. Hamilton won the east with a 15-3 record. Edmonton came in 4[th in the West but had a good enough record to beat the third place team in the east so they get to cross over into the playoffs in that division.
Round one has Montreal hosting Edmonton and Calgary hosting Winnipeg

Upnorth
11-20-2019, 12:25 PM
So the riders lost to Winnipeg in the western division final on Sunday.

We had the best short yardage running team in the league. We had 5 tries at the 1 yard line on our last two driver.... Nothing.... They put our running QB in on one play. All he has done is run 1 yard sneaks from under center all season. They come out in shotgun.... Wtf

pbmax
11-20-2019, 06:03 PM
So the riders lost to Winnipeg in the western division final on Sunday.

We had the best short yardage running team in the league. We had 5 tries at the 1 yard line on our last two driver.... Nothing.... They put our running QB in on one play. All he has done is run 1 yard sneaks from under center all season. They come out in shotgun.... Wtf

Tendency breaker. The tendency of succeeding.

Upnorth
11-20-2019, 07:59 PM
I will never understand coaches who out think themselves and make dum decisions

KYPack
11-20-2019, 11:12 PM
Who's gonna win the Grey Cup?

Upnorth
11-20-2019, 11:32 PM
I'm cheering for Hamilton Tiger cats.