PDA

View Full Version : Getting ahead of the 2020 salary cap

RashanGary
07-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Clark is a 23 year old, dominant and still ascending player. I would lock him up to a big deal now, before that big deal turns into something we can hardly afford.

Lowry is a solid, ascending player. I’d lock him up to a moderate deal now before he gets the ridiculous UFA offers.

Martinez is a solid, Hawk type player with potential to look better than he really is in 2019 because of the guys who play in front of him. He’s also our only decent ILB. I’d lock him up to a solid deal now before UFA makes it a joke.

Geronimo Allison - Id lock him up to a solid deal too. He’s got chemistry with Rodgers and is a natural fit inside at slot receiver. The benefit of drafting guys is you get a slight discount if you get them just before UFA.

Graham, Tramon, Bulaga and Daniels can all be let go next year. I’d strongly consider Daniels though if the price was right. Justin Houston just got 2 years 24 million. So maybe Daniels could be had for like 2/20 or something. Or maybe none of our OT prospects show any promise. Maybe we’d be pressured to resign Bulaga. But the older guys, I’d risk UFA on.

We also have to start thinking about Hollywood Rodgers next blockbuster deal. He should get paid like a player and play caller and coach because he runs the show.

mraynrand
07-04-2019, 08:12 AM
I predict Bulaga will not make it through the season. I predict he'll miss at least 8 full games this year. Will not be re-signed.

pbmax
07-04-2019, 10:25 AM
I predict Bulaga will not make it through the season. I predict he'll miss at least 8 full games this year. Will not be re-signed.

He took a bad step on the stairs just while reading this.

mraynrand
07-04-2019, 11:50 AM
^^^ I have a relative who claimed he saw Bulaga injure himself getting ice cream in Crystal Lake.

wthigoot
07-06-2019, 02:53 AM
Clark is a 23 year old, dominant and still ascending player. I would lock him up to a big deal now, before that big deal turns into something we can hardly afford.

Lowry is a solid, ascending player. I’d lock him up to a moderate deal now before he gets the ridiculous UFA offers.

Martinez is a solid, Hawk type player with potential to look better than he really is in 2019 because of the guys who play in front of him. He’s also our only decent ILB. I’d lock him up to a solid deal now before UFA makes it a joke.

Geronimo Allison - Id lock him up to a solid deal too. He’s got chemistry with Rodgers and is a natural fit inside at slot receiver. The benefit of drafting guys is you get a slight discount if you get them just before UFA.

Graham, Tramon, Bulaga and Daniels can all be let go next year. I’d strongly consider Daniels though if the price was right. Justin Houston just got 2 years 24 million. So maybe Daniels could be had for like 2/20 or something. Or maybe none of our OT prospects show any promise. Maybe we’d be pressured to resign Bulaga. But the older guys, I’d risk UFA on.

We also have to start thinking about Hollywood Rodgers next blockbuster deal. He should get paid like a player and play caller and coach because he runs the show.

Interesting thread. Haven't gone and looked at the 2020 free agents yet, here is the Spotrac list:

Mike Daniels DE 31 UFA
Bryan Bulaga RT 31 UFA
Tramon Williams CB 37 UFA
Mason Crosby K 35 UFA
Geronimo Allison WR 26 UFA
Marcedes Lewis TE 36 UFA
Jason Spriggs T 26 UFA
Kyler Fackrell OLB 28 UFA
Dean Lowry DE 26 UFA
Blake Martinez ILB 26 UFA
Trevor Davis WR 27 UFA

Lucas Patrick G 27 RFA
Justin McCray G 28 RFA
Adam Pankey T 26 RFA
Michael Tyson CB 27 RFA

Jake Kumerow WR 28 ERFA
Reggie Gilbert DE 27 ERFA
Fadol Brown DE 27 ERFA
Robert Tonyan Jr. TE 26 ERFA
Tyler Lancaster DT 25 ERFA
Tra Carson RB 27 ERFA
Tony Brown CB 24 ERFA
James Looney DT 25 ERFA
Jawill Davis WR 25 ERFA
Kendall Donnerson OLB 24 ERFA
Will Redmond CB 26 ERFA
Allen Lazard WR 24 ERFA
Evan Baylis TE 26 ERFA
Anthony Coyle G 23 ERFA
Gerhard de Beer T 26 ERFA
Tray Matthews S 25 ERFA
Teo Redding WR 25 ERFA
Brady Sheldon OLB 27 ERFA
Sam Ficken K 27 ERFA

Pretty much agree with what you proposed. Clark does not show here but I think it is because of the fifth year option. Yes to Lowry and Martinez. Fackrell, Allison and Spriggs depends on this year's contribution. I like Crosby but I think he can be replaced for a cost savings if needed.

RFAs will have to make a jump or they are out.

This is an impressively long list of ERFAs. Jake Kumerow is going to retire at 45 and still be an ERFA :-). Like Tony Brown as a breakout candidate, he has all the talent but needs an attitude adjustment, no bad penalties!! Lancaster, Tonyan, Donnerson, Brown, Gilbert, and maybe others could be kept.

And of course rooting for the Alien Lizard (Allen Lazard); but he need to impress in preseason or he won't be around.

theeaterofshades
07-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Interesting thread. Haven't gone and looked at the 2020 free agents yet, here is the Spotrac list:

Mike Daniels DE 31 UFA
Bryan Bulaga RT 31 UFA
Mason Crosby K 35 UFA
Marcedes Lewis TE 36 UFA
Jason Spriggs T 26 UFA
Dean Lowry DE 26 UFA
Trevor Davis WR 27 UFA

How the hell is Crosby only 35? Dude looks like he is 45-50. Maybe they mean he has been in the league for 35 years :-)

Joemailman
07-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Mike Daniels DE 31 UFA
Bryan Bulaga RT 31 UFA
Mason Crosby K 35 UFA
Marcedes Lewis TE 36 UFA
Jason Spriggs T 26 UFA
Dean Lowry DE 26 UFA
Trevor Davis WR 27 UFA

Hope everybody enjoyed Gutey going outside for UFA'a this year, because 2020 will be about re-signing some of our own guys.

Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, Geronimo Allison and either Bulaga or Spriggs should be the primary targets. Trevor Davis and Kyler Fackrell the secondary targets.

MadScientist
07-11-2019, 01:42 PM
Hope everybody enjoyed Gutey going outside for UFA'a this year, because 2020 will be about re-signing some of our own guys.

Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, Geronimo Allison and either Bulaga or Spriggs should be the primary targets. Trevor Davis and Kyler Fackrell the secondary targets.

Martinez, Lowry and Allison, yes. Maybe on Crosby. Fackrell is probably the only other one worth considering. Bulaga can't stay on the field enough. Spriggs hasn't shown anything, Davis my not even be on the team.

Unless Martinez has a tremendous year, I don't see any of them being much of a budget buster. If they spend their money on their own players, it will likely be for extending those on their last year.

texaspackerbacker
07-11-2019, 02:03 PM
Somebody must be doing something right in the Packers front office for them to have this good a situation - virtually no really high priority players coming up for re-signing, only Martinez that I can see on that list, and he isn't even all that special.

MadScientist
07-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Somebody must be doing something right in the Packers front office for them to have this good a situation - virtually no really high priority players coming up for re-signing, only Martinez that I can see on that list, and he isn't even all that special.

Mostly it means that the 2016 draft was serviceable at best, but the remaining players from rounds 2-7 are not worth throwing big bucks at. Not as bad as this off season where there was nobody left from the 2015 draft to even consider offering any contract to.

pbmax
07-11-2019, 07:41 PM
If Bulaga re-signs, has to be a short term deal.

run pMc
07-14-2019, 04:01 PM
I have a tough time seeing Bulaga back, unless he gets injured and they sign him on a prove it deal, or sign him with the understanding that he's a backup. I think the plan is for Turner to eventually get the first shot there, and draft someone next year. I know it's tough to find good OT's, but GB's depth is not great IMO.

Hard to imagine the Bulaga signs as a backup given he's making $8M or whatever now and he won't sniff that here. I could see some other team overpaying for 1-2 years of him before he's done, a la Lang, Rivera, etc.

I get that people are down on Crosby because he blew it vs. Detroit last year, but finding a competent kicker who can survive outside at Lambeau is not simple. Ask the Vikings and Bears how their K search has gone. That said, they need to bring in competition, and keep looking for a replacement.

Radagast
07-14-2019, 06:35 PM
Bryan Bulaga will enter his 10th NFL season this year. He has delivered exceptional service at Right Tackle in spite of the injuries that he has suffered and overcome. His strength and experience make him my #1 choice to start at RT again this season. Also, I believe that the same can be said for David Bakhtiari at Left Tackle.

Having a player ready to step in at LT or RT at a moments notice is only standard operating procedure. Is Jason Spriggs that player or is Justin McCray that player. I believe that Billy Turner was hired to play the Guard position, but would he move to play at the Tackle position if called upon? Who is the #1 backup Tackle for the 2019 GB Packers?

As for salaries, that is a management problem and they seem to be handling it just fine.

:glug:

Rutnstrut
07-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Bryan Bulaga will enter his 10th NFL season this year. He has delivered exceptional service at Right Tackle in spite of the injuries that he has suffered and overcome. His strength and experience make him my #1 choice to start at RT again this season. Also, I believe that the same can be said for David Bakhtiari at Left Tackle.

Having a player ready to step in at LT or RT at a moments notice is only standard operating procedure. Is Jason Spriggs that player or is Justin McCray that player. I believe that Billy Turner was hired to play the Guard position, but would he move to play at the Tackle position if called upon? Who is the #1 backup Tackle for the 2019 GB Packers?

As for salaries, that is a management problem and they seem to be handling it just fine.

:glug:

You don't set the exceptional service bar very high, do you?

Radagast
07-14-2019, 10:45 PM
You don't set the exceptional service bar very high, do you?

Hold on there partner, you use a left handed remark to put down Bulaga without backing it up ! If you don't like him say so, but you should also say why. Additionally, you could also say what you would like to see change at RT and who/how it would be accomplished.

GB knows that players get hurt or get traded or leave as a FA or retire. For that reason they always are grooming players to step up to the starting slot. GB currently has players that can fill in if Bulaga goes down again. I believe that the position was not a high priority in the last draft, but it may well be in the next one. If only to give the Tackle that they look to draft at least a season to get ready to take over at RT. After that. Bulaga may stay on as a backup or finish his career with another team as Jeff Saturday, Frank Winters and others have in the past.

As i said before, salary matters are the responsibility of management and they are doing ok as far as I'm concerned.

:soap:

pbmax
07-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Bulaga misses a lot of games, signing him at anything other than near the minimums will eat cap space and guarantee his backups will be forced to start.

Not counting his rookie season when I am not sure he was the immediate starter out of camp, he has played seven seasons. If he started that Super Bowl year as the #1, he missed four starts.

That is 112 games (7x16). He has made 95 starts. He missed 11 games in 2017. He missed 2 games last year and was gimpy in several others.

He no longer seems to operate at 100% and is limited in his movement.

Cheesehead Craig
07-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Bulaga misses a lot of games, signing him at anything other than near the minimums will eat cap space and guarantee his backups will be forced to start.

Not counting his rookie season when I am not sure he was the immediate starter out of camp, he has played seven seasons. If he started that Super Bowl year as the #1, he missed four starts.

That is 112 games. He has made 95 starts. He missed 11 games in 2017. He missed 2 games last year and was gimpy in several others.

Bulaga is right at that time when after age 30, the data shows that Tackles skills, on average, start to decline. The trenches are a tough place to make a living and with multiple knee injuries, Father Time making them slower, and the fact they tend to face younger, faster pass rushers, their time is coming to an end as a reliable, productive starter. Certainly a large, multi-year paycheck is not in order. He's entering that time where 1 or 2 year deals are all he's going to get and they won't be for that much money, unless a team is really desperate. That's life in the NFL though, it's a young man's game.

call_me_ishmael
07-15-2019, 09:42 AM
I think Bulaga will get a two year deal were more than his current deal. No way he signs for vet minimum. He's a top notch RT when healthy.

pbmax
07-15-2019, 10:02 AM
I think Bulaga will get a two year deal were more than his current deal. No way he signs for vet minimum. He's a top notch RT when healthy.

Worth more overall or worth more than his current $6.75 mil per year?

Patler
07-15-2019, 08:24 PM

That is 112 games (7x16). He has made 95 starts. He missed 11 games in 2017. He missed 2 games last year and was gimpy in several others.

I think it is 8 seasons, 128 games , not including 2010. He missed all of 2013 when he wrecked his knee in training camp. That was the year they moved him to LT. 2013 doesn't even appear on his stats pages, so it looks like 7 years after his rookie season.

He was hurt in 2010, too. MM had basically said Bulaga had won the job at LG, supplanting Colledge. Then he got hurt and missed a preseason game, and MM gave ones of his "availability matters" speeches and reinserted Colledge. A few weeks later, Bulaga was needed at RT.

pbmax
07-16-2019, 06:48 AM
I think it is 8 seasons, 128 games , not including 2010. He missed all of 2013 when he wrecked his knee in training camp. That was the year they moved him to LT. 2013 doesn't even appear on his stats pages, so it looks like 7 years after his rookie season.

He was hurt in 2010, too. MM had basically said Bulaga had won the job at LG, supplanting Colledge. Then he got hurt and missed a preseason game, and MM gave ones of his "availability matters" speeches and reinserted Colledge. A few weeks later, Bulaga was needed at RT.

You are correct. 2013 is unlisted in his PFR stats and I just skipped over it.

Thought his numbers seemed high :lol:

run pMc
07-16-2019, 10:22 PM
Correct - Tauscher went down and Bulaga was put in at RT. He's the presumptive starter there for 2019, but having a quality backup tackle is uncommon, and with his age and injury history it becomes more important. I've always gotten the impression that the plan was for Turner to play RG this year and probably slide out to RT in a pinch, with Elgton Jenkins (or possibly another player like McCray or Madison if they beat him out) moving into the RG spot. I think they'll give Spriggs a shot at backup tackle, but I'm guessing he's squarely on the bubble and unlikely to be on the team in 2020. Of course, if Turner bombs then Gute has just dropped a lot of money for a player at a spot where they have several options waiting in the wings...and they'll need a RT.

Circling back to the salary cap discussion, It's hard for me to see Bulaga re-signing with the team. I realize it's different position, but I see it playing out the same as it did this season with Clay Matthews...it's best for both parties to save face and let the player walk.
With Bulaga and Spriggs likely gone, I fully expect Gute to continue to overhaul the OL next year.

Iron Mike
07-16-2019, 10:44 PM
Check out Chicago's 2021 Free Agent list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2021/all/chicago-bears/

With Mack's contract, some of those 8-9 starters are gonna have to be let go...

Radagast
07-17-2019, 02:06 AM
Correct - Tauscher went down and Bulaga was put in at RT. He's the presumptive starter there for 2019, but having a quality backup tackle is uncommon, and with his age and injury history it becomes more important. I've always gotten the impression that the plan was for Turner to play RG this year and probably slide out to RT in a pinch, with Elgton Jenkins (or possibly another player like McCray or Madison if they beat him out) moving into the RG spot. I think they'll give Spriggs a shot at backup tackle, but I'm guessing he's squarely on the bubble and unlikely to be on the team in 2020. Of course, if Turner bombs then Gute has just dropped a lot of money for a player at a spot where they have several options waiting in the wings...and they'll need a RT.

Circling back to the salary cap discussion, It's hard for me to see Bulaga re-signing with the team. I realize it's different position, but I see it playing out the same as it did this season with Clay Matthews...it's best for both parties to save face and let the player walk.
With Bulaga and Spriggs likely gone, I fully expect Gute to continue to overhaul the OL next year.

You may be right about Spriggs, but Madison may not even make it on this years roster.

Looking forward a year, IMO GB will be looking to draft a Tackle that can either start right off at RT or can start at RT as a sophomore. That said, I believe that the GB College Scouts #1 task this season will be focusing on draftable Tackles. The FA market will also be carefully watched for available Tackles. In addition I also see GB looking hard at ILBs and OLBs. While I love Blake Martinez, Oren Burks may not have the size to survive a full year if he makes it as a starter.

As for salaries, management does it's job with that and nothing said outside of their offices is of any influence.

Patler
07-17-2019, 05:33 AM
You may be right about Spriggs, but Madison may not even make it on this years roster.

Looking forward a year, IMO GB will be looking to draft a Tackle that can either start right off at RT or can start at RT as a sophomore. That said, I believe that the GB College Scouts #1 task this season will be focusing on draftable Tackles. The FA market will also be carefully watched for available Tackles. In addition I also see GB looking hard at ILBs and OLBs. While I love Blake Martinez, Oren Burks may not have the size to survive a full year if he makes it as a starter.

As for salaries, management does it's job with that and nothing said outside of their offices is of any influence.

Well,.... management also does it's job with college scouting, free agency, player cuts, play calling and just about anything and everything we ever discuss on here; and nothing said outside of their offices is of any influence on those either! :-):-)

Patler
07-17-2019, 06:56 AM
You are correct. 2013 is unlisted in his PFR stats and I just skipped over it.

Thought his numbers seemed high :lol:

It is really a shame, because he was a very good player. I think the injuries and age have taken their toll on him, but when healthy he will still be the guy at RT this year.

As for another contract for Bulaga? I think it is highly unlikely. He will be squarely in the Sitton/Lang phase of his Packer career, but is much less reliable than they ever were. The Sitton and Lang decisions were Thompson's, but Gutekunst seems just as willing to move on from older and/or injury prone players as evidenced by the Burnett, Nelson, Matthews and Perry decisions he made. If they enter the next off season without a clear replacement, AND Bulaga is willing to play another year or two on a cheap deal, it could happen. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bulaga just retired.

run pMc
07-17-2019, 07:45 AM

And it's compounded by trading the picks for Mack...they are really going to have to hit on remaining draft picks or the FA bargain bin. I think they like Trubisky and will try to keep him, and that won't be cheap either.

pbmax
07-17-2019, 09:37 AM

I assume you are calling in to Chicago radio reminding them of this and predicting another decade in the wilderness?

pbmax
07-17-2019, 09:46 AM
It is really a shame, because he was a very good player. I think the injuries and age have taken their toll on him, but when healthy he will still be the guy at RT this year.

Yep. He and Perry had similar trajectories. Bulaga met with more success overall and had more of an effect, but both could have been special with better health.