PDA

View Full Version : Preseason: Week 1 - Houston vs GB

Radagast
07-08-2019, 10:12 PM
On August 8th GB will host Houston for their 1st preseason game. We all know that if Rodgers and the 1st squad play one series that will be all we will see of them. Much the same too for both teams defenses as well.

Even with the 1st team offenses/defenses resting, we will see GB's new offense and loads of replacements on both sides.

What do you look forward to seeing in this game? I'll be especially watchful of the WRs and CBs for GB. Additionally, I'll be focused on GB's running attack as LaFleur's new offense makes it's debut.

For me who wins is not as import as evaluating players and getting the new offense off to a good start. I invite members to share their views on GB's 1st preseason contest.

:pack:

mraynrand
07-09-2019, 07:30 AM
Will I be scolded if I post about something other than this game?

ThunderDan
07-09-2019, 08:38 AM
I'll be there. See this post was about the game.

Upnorth
07-09-2019, 03:46 PM
I won't, but perhaps teh Raiders game in winnipeg

Radagast
07-12-2019, 11:24 PM
The Texans are coming ! The Texans are coming !

The practices with the Texans and the preseason game will be a great evaluation of talent as well as a first chance to see GB's new offense in action. I don't expect earthshaking results the first time out, but I do feel that a dramatic improvement will be seen on the Special Teams play.

Any reports on national broadcasting of the game/s will be welcome.

Your thoughts on the Texans visit will be gladly read and should generate good replys.

:glug:

Fritz
07-17-2019, 09:32 AM
On August 8th GB will host Houston for their 1st preseason game. We all know that if Rodgers and the 1st squad play one series that will be all we will see of them. Much the same too for both teams defenses as well.

Even with the 1st team offenses/defenses resting, we will see GB's new offense and loads of replacements on both sides.

What do you look forward to seeing in this game? I'll be especially watchful of the WRs and CBs for GB. Additionally, I'll be focused on GB's running attack as LaFleur's new offense makes it's debut.

For me who wins is not as import as evaluating players and getting the new offense off to a good start. I invite members to share their views on GB's 1st preseason contest.

:pack:

You know, for a team with a new head coach and a new offensive system, I can't believe they only had Rodgers play one series. How is he supposed to get on the same page with the new coach if he doesn't even run the new offense?

And wasn't Kizer awful? I know the offensive line was lousy, but Kizer can't even look good in a pre-season game, when it's all vanilla? Even Hundley could do that. Boyle looked much better.

Conversely, what the hell was LeFleur thinking, playing Aaron Jones for three quarters of the game? Is the new offense so different that a running back who's injury-prone needs that much work?

And of course it was no surprise that Bulaga got hurt in that first series. Say goodbye to him as a Packer. And Spriggs, too. Geez, he whiffed twice in a row on a backup left end. Cut him.

And why did Gutekunst pay Billy Turner so much money? After Bulaga went down and they moved Turner over, he looked like a turnstile at right tackle.

Defensively, Rashan Gary looked completely lost. He got pushed around, and was always showing up right after the tackle was made, when he did get to the action. And of course it was no surprise to me he came up limping after the second series. He'll be "day to day," and at the end of training camp he'll be put on injured reserve.

That UDFA kid at the cornerback spot looked good, though, when he played in the fourth quarter. I think that Gute found a gem there. For sure he should make the team.

pbmax
07-17-2019, 09:56 AM
^ The draft has really impacted Fritz.

Cleft Crusty
07-17-2019, 10:45 AM
I invite members to share their views on GB's 1st preseason contest.

I'm supposed to watch the whole thing and report on it for the Milwaukee Urinal Scented, but I fell asleep halfway through the first quarter. I was however impressed with overall team speed.

Fritz
07-17-2019, 08:12 PM
^ The draft has really impacted Fritz.

Just getting ready for the preseason. Frankly I'm disappointed in how many Packerrats are skipping these voluntary offseason threads (VOT's). How will they know whether the offense sucks because LeFleur's a terrible coach or because Rodgers is undermining the whole thing? How will they know whether they should be hammering for Mason Crosby or Jason Spriggs to be cut immediately? How will they know whether the kid from Toledo who had to write (like a kindergartener at the kitchen table) letters to get to a Division I school has more promise than the 27-year-old rookie from Australian Rules Football?

When that first preseason game rolls around, I won't be the one rubbing his wrists in pain from carpel tunnel, and I'll know just exactly which players and/or coaches to bitch about. As one of the vets here, I know I have to work harder than the young bucks and the wood bucks to make the grade.

But you already know that. It's these youngsters I'm worried about. Come August they'll be flailing around, not even sure whether Montravius Adams made the team or not.

Radagast
07-17-2019, 09:31 PM
Just getting ready for the preseason. Frankly I'm disappointed in how many Packerrats are skipping these voluntary offseason threads (VOT's). How will they know whether the offense sucks because LeFleur's a terrible coach or because Rodgers is undermining the whole thing? How will they know whether they should be hammering for Mason Crosby or Jason Spriggs to be cut immediately? How will they know whether the kid from Toledo who had to write (like a kindergartener at the kitchen table) letters to get to a Division I school has more promise than the 27-year-old rookie from Australian Rules Football?

When that first preseason game rolls around, I won't be the one rubbing his wrists in pain from carpel tunnel, and I'll know just exactly which players and/or coaches to bitch about. As one of the vets here, I know I have to work harder than the young bucks and the wood bucks to make the grade.

But you already know that. It's these youngsters I'm worried about. Come August they'll be flailing around, not even sure whether Montravius Adams made the team or not.

Although more than a few do use pre preseason threads to dump on their favorite targets, others do post their optimism too. In addition, there are the ones that think their High School humor is actually funny. The best well presented post are few, but worth wading through the swamp to get to.

As for GB's hosting the Texans at TC and for their first preseason game, I am most pleased that such a high quality team will be coming to GB. Afterall competing against a good team should make the Packers a stronger team moving forward.

George Cumby
07-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Are they serving hotdogs?

Radagast
07-22-2019, 12:54 AM
Are they serving hotdogs?

As a curiosity, how much does a Hot Dog or a Beer or a cup of Coffee cost at Lambeau Field during a game / event ? :-)

RashanGary
07-22-2019, 01:10 AM
Everything is gonna be vanilla, toned back and toned down. I hope to see everyone healthy. I hope to see a good tempo on offense and good blocking. I hope guys look fast and catch the ball. I hope to see the defense play sound and hold their ground against blockers. I hope to see tight coverage and sound zone defense.

I doubt we’ll see any pass rush from either first team but I hope the later guys step up and show a little something special.

Radagast
07-22-2019, 05:38 AM
I fully expect to see most of both Offensive and Defensive 1st team starters in their first series. Also I expect to see the Packers run the most fundamental running and pass plays of LaFleur's new offensive system. The idea is to get video to study strong/weak areas of execution. Different prescripted plays will be run such as a screenplay, a few different running plays on different sides of the O-line, some different pass plays and such. Following the first D and O series, I also expect to see more players being inserted and removed more to evaluate players than to score or put up a defensive highlight.

That said, just having a game to follow will great. A win would be great, but building a team is the #1 priority. Anyone know when the first mandatory cut is scheduled for?

Joemailman
07-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Anyone know when the first mandatory cut is scheduled for?

There is only 1 cut date. August 31.

bobblehead
07-24-2019, 12:41 PM
You know, for a team with a new head coach and a new offensive system, I can't believe they only had Rodgers play one series. How is he supposed to get on the same page with the new coach if he doesn't even run the new offense?

And wasn't Kizer awful? I know the offensive line was lousy, but Kizer can't even look good in a pre-season game, when it's all vanilla? Even Hundley could do that. Boyle looked much better.

Conversely, what the hell was LeFleur thinking, playing Aaron Jones for three quarters of the game? Is the new offense so different that a running back who's injury-prone needs that much work?

And of course it was no surprise that Bulaga got hurt in that first series. Say goodbye to him as a Packer. And Spriggs, too. Geez, he whiffed twice in a row on a backup left end. Cut him.

And why did Gutekunst pay Billy Turner so much money? After Bulaga went down and they moved Turner over, he looked like a turnstile at right tackle.

Defensively, Rashan Gary looked completely lost. He got pushed around, and was always showing up right after the tackle was made, when he did get to the action. And of course it was no surprise to me he came up limping after the second series. He'll be "day to day," and at the end of training camp he'll be put on injured reserve.

That UDFA kid at the cornerback spot looked good, though, when he played in the fourth quarter. I think that Gute found a gem there. For sure he should make the team.

But be honest Fritz. You had to be encouraged by the performance of the 5th RB on the roster...old whats his name. I think we got a player in him. Really impressed!

pbmax
07-24-2019, 05:53 PM
Where is this streaming? I'm not getting it on cable.

Radagast
07-25-2019, 12:26 AM
Where is this streaming? I'm not getting it on cable.

In order to get a stream of this and other Packer games it may be necessary to purchase an access package. I'm not a big fan of having to pay and still suffer the damn commercials, but the NFL has been closing access to unpaid sources for watching games for years and now they have too many of us by our bank accounts. NFL.com seems to be the best overall choice.

Radagast
08-04-2019, 10:43 AM
It might take a local to know this, but will the Texans accommodations be at St Norbert College or at a local Motel? Where will the staying while in GB? If a Hotel. do all NFL teams stay at this same Hotel?

mraynrand
08-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Texans will stay at the notell motel.

Radagast
08-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Texans will stay at the notell motel.

Good, they will not be at the roach motel with you then.

Hilton seems to be a prominent sponsor on many team sites. Does GB have a Hilton?

I've tried to find out, without success, who the Bears, Lions, and Vikings will be practicing with in TC If you know please post here for all to comment on.

Thanks

texaspackerbacker
08-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the rundown, Fritz. Incredibly, this is about the first I've found to read about the scrimmage.

Bulaga hurt? How and how bad? What's the name of that UDFA Corner? You're not talking about Tony Brown, are you?

I agree, maybe they should have been more careful with Aaron Jones. We apparently have as much quality depth there and question mark about who makes the team as any position on the team. I, for one, want to know what Dexter Williams and those two supposedly hot shot recent UDFA signings can do.

Not playing Rodgers much is an obvious thing. He can and probably has learned as much about the LaFleur system as necessary in practice. I'm glad to hear that Boyle looked a lot better than Kizer - I think he's a better choice for back up in general. Boyle may have been playing against lower level defenders too, though. Also, Kizer might yield a low round draft pick in trade; I doubt Boyle would.

The news about Gary is disappointing, but hopefully it's just an early aberration.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Lol, Tex. Check the post date of Fritz’s post. Post was funny, but your idol, lets just call him the Orange Fishmonger, would refer to said post as “fake news.”

texaspackerbacker
08-04-2019, 01:30 PM
oops. Oh well, it still was a good read - not Fake, just a bit old hahahahaha.

Glad to hear that the negative stuff about Gary was a couple weeks before the recent good things.

mraynrand
08-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Hilton seems to be a prominent sponsor on many team sites. Does GB have a Hilton?

I've tried to find out, without success, who the Bears, Lions, and Vikings will be practicing with in TC If you know please post here for all to comment on.

Thanks

You won’t be laughing when I and the other roaches survive the coming nuclear Armageddon. As far as practices for the Lions Tigers and Bears: Oh my! Try searching google.

pbmax
08-04-2019, 09:05 PM

Thanks

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/wisconsin/hampton-inn-green-bay-downtown-GRBHXHX/index.html

Radagast
08-05-2019, 10:03 AM
https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/wisconsin/hampton-inn-green-bay-downtown-GRBHXHX/index.html

Thanks, appears to be a fine accommodation for visiting teams to GB. Looking at the Hotel's location on Google Maps, I was struck that it is located on the Fox River. Not being from the area or ever having visited, I rarely think at all about a river running through GB. The James River runs through Richmond, Va where I live. Gaining an understanding of where visiting teams stay when in GB gives a greater overall picture of Green Bay.

Also, the location of Lambeau Field on the map shows it to be nearly surrounded by residential neighborhoods with parking at a premium. Do people park miles away and ride a cab to the stadium? Do people rent parking space in their yards? Also do venders set up outside of Lambeau the day of the game? Not a lot of restaurants to service that many people.

:huh:

MadScientist
08-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Texans have something against Sternberger, as they've flattened him twice in practice. Sounds like he may have a concussion.

That's the unfortunate down side of joint practices.

MadScientist
08-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Apparently Sternberger is ok. But it still sounds like the Texans are being cheap, especially for practice (Trever Davis flattened, Gary pulled down from behind, etc).

mraynrand
08-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Gaining an understanding of where visiting teams stay when in GB gives a greater overall picture of Green Bay.

Also, the location of Lambeau Field on the map shows it to be nearly surrounded by residential neighborhoods with parking at a premium.

Try Google maps and images

pbmax
08-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Try Google maps and images

I believe there are several online communities that specialize in determining team travel schedules and hotel accommodations. Many of these young people are looking to make acquaintances with the young players. Perhaps those communities could be of some help.

Radagast
08-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Anyone, including mraynrand, can go to Google/maps as I did and look at Green Bay, but only a first hand observer can deliver describe what people were doing, or how people dealt with problems, etc. Only a person can say what foods or drinks that they prefer or describe how they dress to stay warm outdoors for hours.

Anyone can poke and jab at others if they have nothing intelligent to say. I hope to read some good reports concerning the Packers/Texans from folks that may have attended or got a report from someone that did.

mraynrand
08-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Anyone, including mraynrand, can go to Google/maps as I did and look at Green Bay, but only a first hand observer can deliver describe what people were doing, or how people dealt with problems, etc. Only a person can say what foods or drinks that they prefer or describe how they dress to stay warm outdoors for hours.

Anyone can poke and jab at others if they have nothing intelligent to say. I hope to read some good reports concerning the Packers/Texans from folks that may have attended or got a report from someone that did.

You post strange arrays of questions from the banal to the tedious to the easily discoverable to the in depth personal kind that people may or may not be interested in answering. I’m just responding in my own annoying manner. Take it or leave it.

Cheesehead Craig
08-05-2019, 03:44 PM
You post strange arrays of questions from the banal to the tedious to the easily discoverable to the in depth personal kind that people may or may not be interested in answering. I’m just responding in my own annoying manner. Take it or leave it.

Do you enjoy answering questions? Do you practice at home with your family? Have you taken some communication classes to help with your answering of questions? Do you have a preference as to the type of clothing you like to wear when answering questions? Is there a special beverage or meal that gets you in a better question answering mood? I look forward to your answers.

Radagast
08-05-2019, 04:34 PM
It's not difficult at all to spot a slug, they leave a trail of slime behind them. Some members believe that everyone else must lower themselves to their slimey level or they will spew out their intolerant, low class, vomit in their direction.

Knowing that one accomplishes nothing by besting a fool, swinging at pitches in the dirt is not my style. So if you want to post your opinions on food or sports or beer or your favorite brand of tire, then don't allow a few to intimidate you from posting.

:duel:

RashanGary
08-05-2019, 05:22 PM
It's not difficult at all to spot a slug, they leave a trail of slime behind them. Some members believe that everyone else must lower themselves to their slimey level or they will spew out their intolerant, low class, vomit in their direction.

Knowing that one accomplishes nothing by besting a fool, swinging at pitches in the dirt is not my style. So if you want to post your opinions on food or sports or beer or your favorite brand of tire, then don't allow a few to intimidate you from posting.

:duel:

Way to take the high road :lol:

QBME
08-05-2019, 06:18 PM
I believe there are several online communities that specialize in determining team travel schedules and hotel accommodations. Many of these young people are looking to make acquaintances with the young players. Perhaps those communities could be of some help.

No fair. Youse guys crack me up.

mraynrand
08-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Do you enjoy answering questions? Do you practice at home with your family? Have you taken some communication classes to help with your answering of questions? Do you have a preference as to the type of clothing you like to wear when answering questions? Is there a special beverage or meal that gets you in a better question answering mood? I look forward to your answers.

No. No. No. None. Federalist Dueling Pistols Red Dry Creek and Beef tenderloin.

See I can be reasonable. But you cant find these answers on Google.

mraynrand
08-05-2019, 09:47 PM
So if you want to post your opinions on food or sports or beer or your favorite brand of tire....

Michelin LTX A/T2s are pretty damn fine.

swede
08-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Points of personal preferences:

Aggressive punctuation in this thread shows a lack of consideration for others. Jazz hand emojis are preferred.

Acknowledging scoring plays may create an unreasonable impression that tonight’s contest is a real game.

Do not talk to site moderators.

Vitale scores a touchdown. Hollman and Savage each have a pick.

mraynrand
08-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Acknowledging scoring plays may create an unreasonable impression that tonight’s contest is a real game.

lol

Radagast
08-08-2019, 06:48 PM
:huh: