PDA

View Full Version : Mike Daniels

Tony Oday
07-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Is getting released?! WTF?

pbmax
07-24-2019, 09:21 AM
@MikeGarafolo
#Packers are releasing DL Mike Daniels, source says. Wowza.
9:05 AM · Jul 24, 2019

Seems a little weird.

Tony Oday
07-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Saves a lot of money but man seems like a dumb move.

Cheesehead Craig
07-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this. $8.1M saved, which I could see it being used to give some guys new contracts, but the timing is way weird.

mraynrand
07-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Stubby probably can't get along with him, just like Josh Sitton, Randall and others.

mraynrand
07-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this. $8.1M saved, which I could see it being used to give some guys new contracts, but the timing is way weird.

maybe tried to trade and could not?

pbmax
07-24-2019, 09:31 AM
Why now? Why not trade him?

I could see deciding size is a bad fit in this D, but seems a waste of a resource.

pbmax
07-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Someone points out that its an odd money move (unless something unexpected happened) in that they already paid his workout bonus.

Tony Oday
07-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Sounds like they tried to trade him in the offseason but wtf? This seems like a REALLY dumb move.

pbmax
07-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Money move says Jason LC. Still seems poor timing. Keep him in camp until people get injured. The injury has to be at play here you would think.

@JasonLaCanfora
After spending massive amounts of money in free agency - time will tell if over-spending applies - Packers release of Mike Daniels was for cash/cap I'm told. He is ready to go. Should have plenty of suitors

pbmax
07-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
The #Packers shopped DT MIke Daniels around the NFL before releasing him, an NFL source said. His $10M cap number was a hindrance. He’s considered a third-down inside rusher now by #Packers and others.

Guessing what happens next will put this assessment to the test. If he's picked up on waivers (and the contract stays intact), then Packers were premature about abandoning trade efforts.

RashanGary
07-24-2019, 09:41 AM
Foot injury
Maybe the light finally turned on for Adams
Maybe Lancaster looks quicker and more explosive
Zadarius might be in line for a DL pass rush role
Maybe they like what they have in keke too
Maybe working on an extension for Martinez, Allison, and/or Clark

RashanGary
07-24-2019, 09:42 AM
When they let Sitton go, we didn’t really miss him because they knew what they had behind him. Maybe this is similar.

RashanGary
07-24-2019, 09:44 AM
I liked Daniels a lot though. I’m disappointed. His lower body looked underdeveloped in the camp pics. Maybe that injury slowed him way down.

Tony Oday
07-24-2019, 09:50 AM
I bought his jersey last year...FYI Savage is going to suck I bought his this year...

Zool
07-24-2019, 09:53 AM
I'm not surprised. I really think Daniels has been living off perception and history for the last 2 years. He talks a big game, but hasn't backed it up for a while. In another thread, I figured he would start hitting the wall soon. Maybe I'm Gutes?

Patler
07-24-2019, 10:08 AM
Not surprising at all. They played without him for the last six games last season, so they know what it means not having him. We had discussed earlier this off season that there seemed to be a vet or two too many on the DL for the final roster.

If they had decided he was the odd man out but haven't been able to trade him, with as much as he was counting against the salary cap, they couldn't run the risk of sending him out on the practice field for even one day. Reinjuring his foot, a misstep resulting in a knee injury, etc. could have stuck them with a big bill for a player on IR that they didn't want in the first place.

Harlan Huckleby
07-24-2019, 10:10 AM
I am flabbergasted. Daniels gone, Mean Dean $20M contract.
up is down.

mraynrand
07-24-2019, 10:12 AM
I'm not surprised. I really think Daniels has been living off perception and history for the last 2 years. He talks a big game, but hasn't backed it up for a while. In another thread, I figured he would start hitting the wall soon. Maybe I'm Gutes?

good points.

If you want us to believe you are Gute, take a selfie with today's newspaper in front of a chick-fil-a.

Patler
07-24-2019, 10:13 AM

Yup, and for a vocal, veteran leader he had a penchant for dumb penalties. Not a lot of them, but often at the worst times.

mraynrand
07-24-2019, 10:13 AM
I am flabbergasted. Daniels gone, Mean Dean $20M contract.
up is down.

play-to-pay

Radagast
07-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Mike Daniels released. Dean Lowery gets a 3 yr. extension.

It seems obvious that Lowery may move into slot being vacated by Daniels. If not, then could we see Rashan Gary or Tyler Lancaster fill that starting position? Will GB be shopping for a DE?

Upnorth
07-24-2019, 10:39 AM
I doubt we will be looking for another DE as we have what looks like good depth right now, but if train camp goes the way we have seen in the past we might need a couple more....

The Shadow
07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Daniels' play never matched his talk.

Patler
07-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Certainly not on a consistent basis.

texaspackerbacker
07-24-2019, 11:03 AM
I suspected this was coming when they invested so much in Lowery. I'm not happy about it, but they had too many inside D Lineman - most of them not as good as Daniels IMO, but whatever. The Packers will be fine without him, and he'll land on his feet and make at least as much money somewhere else. The only negative is if he strengthens some team that we don't want strengthened.

Fritz
07-24-2019, 12:31 PM
I agree with something Tex wrote!

Armegeddon is nigh.

esoxx
07-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Cue the Vikings signing him in 3.....2.....1

Joemailman
07-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Kinda figured Keke was drafted to replace Daniels, but thought he'd serve an apprenticeship this year. He'll play now.

run pMc
07-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Kingsley Keke and M.Adams to take over at the 3T? Maybe they think they can put Lancaster at Nose and Kenny Clark ? This is a surprise; I figured he'd play here this season and somewhere else next season. Guess I was a year off.

As a cap move I guess I could see it on a production/$ basis. He wasn't making a lot of splash plays but he could still play...maybe the wheels were falling off as a "smaller" DL.

Joemailman
07-24-2019, 04:30 PM
I didn't see it coming, but 10M is a lot of money to pay a 30 year old DT with a bad foot.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer
Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said there were trade talks involving Mike Daniels, "but those came apart the last couple of weeks," which led to the decision to cut the veteran defensive tackle now. Gutekunst also mentioned Daniels' foot injury as a factor in the timing of the move.

gbgary
07-24-2019, 05:12 PM
surprised to say the least...but after the lowery extension yesterday it's clear he was nothing more than a cap casualty. they got a little too close (to zero cap room) for comfort. i figured they'd go into this best-last-shot of a season with all their best players. guess not.

pbmax
07-24-2019, 05:49 PM
@JoeBanner13
Let’s be perfectly clear. The releasing of veteran players on the eve of training camp is wrong and indefensible, unless there are circumstances we are unaware of, and have been clearly explained to the player and agent. It’s just wrong.

@jayfeely
Yes it is, but I’d rather be released before training camp starts than 3 weeks into it without getting any game film

@JoeBanner13
But things change during camp, so a team can have a legitimate reason, nothing has changed since previous camps. Pure abuse of the situation

I don't know about abuse, but it does seem late. Someone reported that this might be in lieu of other player moves, as in, need some cap space. Lowry or other pending extensions perhaps

pbmax
07-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Agree with this.

Fosco33
07-24-2019, 05:55 PM
I liked Daniels. Old adage - rather a year early than late??

MadScientist
07-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Besides the injury situation, the cap number, etc. I wonder if Daniels was unhappy that he was in the last year of a contract and unlikely to be re-signed.

pbmax
07-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Oates says its a new day on defense for the Packers were availability for DL is important.

WiSJ: https://t.co/zYYwy9QKK8?amp=1

I'm just kidding. Tom said youth, length, availability and versatility are being emphasized.

pbmax
07-24-2019, 10:13 PM
Defensive Coordinator: I want 'em short, fat, not able to get their hangers on a clothes rack and only able to play one position.

GM: We'll try.

~~~~~

Michigan D Coordinator: I want 15 sacks a game, 4 fumbles, more interceptions than touchdowns allowed, QB on his ass 7 times a game, no more than 17 points

Press: Wow, he's a leader. https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1154175970355531776

Assistant AD: Right. We'll put Central Michigan back on the schedule.

George Cumby
07-24-2019, 10:28 PM
Bring back Lawrence Guy!

mraynrand
07-24-2019, 10:44 PM
Michigan D Coordinator: I want 15 sacks a game, 4 fumbles, more interceptions than touchdowns allowed, QB on his ass 7 times a game, no more than 17 points

Press: Wow, he's a leader. https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1154175970355531776

Assistant AD: Right. We'll put Central Michigan back on the schedule.

He wants:

No rushing TD’s in the redzone
No run over 20 yards

So no rushing TDs at all.

Sure coach. Get right on it. You know Ohio State scores 12 TDs against us every year, right?

pbmax
07-25-2019, 06:46 AM
He wants:

No run over 20 yards

Sure coach. Get right on it. You know Ohio State scores 12 TDs against us every year, right?

Yeah. And he's a pretty good D coordinator. Gives Chryst and Wisconsin fits. But the press likes to treat his every utterance as hard boiled coaching truth.

Last year I posted here his thoughts on combatting a spread attack. He said he thought defenses were changing too much. Not enough base concepts, not forcing opponent to adapt to you. He then got regularly burned versus spread attacks. The part of the press who wants to treat him like a messenger of God was in regular battle with X and O Twitter for the rest of the year.

EDIT: This got the gist of his comments wrong, see video below. He thought hurry up or spread was forcing defenses to be in simper and fewer defensive fronts.

pbmax
07-25-2019, 06:53 AM
He wants:

No run over 20 yards

Another reply:

@CoachBoGonzalez
Replying to @FB_FilmAnalysis @CoachPLFootball
That’s great!! We hang out hat on turnovers, tackles for losses, crunch time stops, being in the picture at the end of the play amd most important THE W!

And people wonder how Belichick keeps winning :D

But I am probably being too harsh. Coaches want to create a sense of camaraderie and actually encourage all those on field and on court mini celebrations. They also encourage thinking of being dominant and having ridiculous goals so self satisfaction doesn't set it. I get it, but it would also be good to teach players how to succeed versus a scheme.

pbmax
07-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Here is part of the earlier rant: it was about simplifying versus the spread or option teams.

https://twitter.com/jamesalight/status/1065019881521889281?

Harlan Huckleby
07-25-2019, 08:02 AM
The Packers will be fine without him, and he'll land on his feet and make at least as much money somewhere else. The only negative is if he strengthens some team that we don't want strengthened.

I think odds are that Daniels is washed up. It is the only explanation that really makes complete sense.

Fritz
07-25-2019, 08:38 AM
He seemed less effective the last year or so. He could still be effective as a part-time rusher, but then you'd have him carping about it. He claimed to be a leader, but other than talking big, he didn't seem to be a real leader.

run pMc
07-25-2019, 01:34 PM
The online writers think it's a matter of having bigger, younger, cheaper replacements in house. The $8M cap relief to let go a 30 year old who missed 6 games last year and likely play 3rd down only might be better spent on Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry.

Leaves them thinner depth-wise, and if others don't produce could backfire. He's probably headed to the Browns.

mraynrand
07-25-2019, 01:51 PM
He's probably headed to the Browns.

The Packers has a garage sale and Cleveland bought everything. Except Stubby. He was in the “free” box and still they didn’t take him.

Fritz
07-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Let's see what happens when the Packers cut Spriggs.

QBME
07-25-2019, 08:16 PM
I liked Daniels. Old adage - rather a year early than late??

Yessir.

QBME
07-25-2019, 08:19 PM
The Packers has a garage sale and Cleveland bought everything. Except Stubby. He was in the “free” box and still they didn’t take him.

:)

Bretsky
07-25-2019, 10:18 PM
Let's see what happens when the Packers cut Spriggs.

DRINKS ON BRETSKY AT THE OVAL OFFICE

pbmax
07-26-2019, 06:49 AM

I'll have you and Fritz know that Spriggs is the backup LT right now.

RashanGary
07-26-2019, 06:54 AM

As long as I can lick my shot off a strippers crack!

mraynrand
07-26-2019, 07:47 AM
As long as I can lick my shot off a strippers crack!

What kind of experience do you have with strippers? Are they nice? What kind of clothing do they wear? What are their favorite drinks? How do they clean 5 dollar bills?

pbmax
07-26-2019, 08:03 AM
The case for Daniels. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/7/25/8930151/the-case-against-releasing-mike-daniels

I have come down on the side of this that he was gone the minute they got their FA done, specifically Dr. Zaius. They like the yutes Lowry, Lancaster and Adams. And they wanted bigger bodies at the 3 tech. But mainly, Za'Darius is earning Daniels money. If you trust this scheme and the new guys will produce, then you are OK with this. There is a default assumption here, that even with Daniels it wasn't enough. So perhaps others can do better, but they didn't last year.

Daniels is not going to play a dominant pass rush role with the new guy here and that puts his contract in the spotlight. He has a $9.8 mil cap number and his cap percentage is lower this year than last (both an increase in cap a a reduction in his bonuses). His cash cost this year is about $7.1 mil (he already earned whatever portion of $400,000 he is entitled to for the offseason workouts).

And they probably would have traded him by now but he was recovering from his foot injury.

I haven't seen the full cap hit discussion so I don't know where they stood at the start of camp. Maybe they had to have the money or will need it for extensions. In addition to the FA this year, Bach and Clark are up the year after and perhaps $8 million of space helps sign them early.

But Daniels had skills and did not seem injury prone, so even at 30 he probably is productive.

Mike Daniels is still very good.
While Daniels was injured last season, and his conventional stats were not up to his usual standard, he was still a disruptive force on the line. And as Doug Farrar points out in his column at Touchdown Wire, Daniels still brings rare versatility:

“In just 233 passing snaps, he amassed two sacks, three quarterback hits, and 27 quarterback hurries—once again doing so from all over the defensive line. He also posted 18 total stops, pointing to his ability as a run defender.”

The Packers’ scheme under Mike Pettine doesn’t use that many defensive linemen and relies heavily on rotational players. Again, this is fine and makes some degree of sense, but Daniels’ versatility should be extra valuable in the modern NFL. For instance, Matt LaFleur loves to pass out of run-heavy sets to create mismatches for his receivers. Daniels ability as a pass-rusher and run-stopper is the exact antidote to this, as he can keep you out of bad rotations.

They saved $7.1 mil in cash, saved $8 mi is cap space and lost an effective piece in the middle. Maybe those yutes in a rotation fill in adequately and you save the money. But I am nor sure they are Daniels equal. Z. Smith will be inside for pass rush, not on run downs.

But Daniels lost his starting spot ot Wilkerson, so its clear Pettine wants something different here. I hope he is right. We'll know if its working by October.

mraynrand
07-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Daniels is disruptive but he has no anchor. He would get wiped out all the time, especially on early downs. I think the want Gary to be Daniels with an anchor so he can play any down and any position

pbmax
07-26-2019, 08:21 AM
Daniels is disruptive but he has no anchor. He would get wiped out all the time, especially on early downs. I think the want Gary to be Daniels with an anchor so he can play any down and any position

I haven't seen it from practice yet. but I expect Lowry out there on base downs in his place. Za'Darius on passing downs.

texaspackerbacker
07-26-2019, 12:17 PM
I see the Packers signed former Badger, Olive Sagapolu.

Teamcheez1
07-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Rumor is Daniels will be signing with the Lions.

Fritz
07-26-2019, 04:29 PM
I see the Packers signed former Badger, Olive Sagapolu.

Just read a Detroit Free Press article . . . Lions signing Mike Daniels to a one-year deal.

Patler
07-26-2019, 06:02 PM
What kind of experience do you have with strippers? What kind of clothing do they wear?

Quick release.

Teamcheez1
07-26-2019, 06:20 PM
One year contract: $9.1M deal with $7.8M guaranteed.

We'll see how this turns out.

Bretsky
07-26-2019, 06:39 PM
I'll have you and Fritz know that Spriggs is the backup LT right now.

Pathetic

RashanGary
07-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Pathetic

Spriggs is shit. But Gary is having a good start!

Bretsky
07-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Spriggs is shit. But Gary is having a good start!

That would be great news ! With Daniels gone the opportunities will be there for him.

pbmax
07-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Quick release.

We shouldn't be making fun of Mike Daniels that way Patler.

Wait, he signed with the Lions. Carry on.

pbmax
07-27-2019, 07:41 AM
One year contract: $9.1M deal with $7.8M guaranteed.

We'll see how this turns out.

Somone mocked him for the one year deal, but he was out of camp for 2/3 days and got his exact previous (overpaid) deal replicated with guaranteed money.

Not too shabby at this point of the game. No one is handing out big FA deals out now.

Patler
07-27-2019, 09:48 AM
It's an odd contract, for Daniels. I don't recall seeing many one year deals for such a large amount, with most of it guaranteed. On one hand, Detroit seems to be saying they expect him to be a major contributor this year (big salary, most guaranteed). On the other hand, they don't have long-term confidence in him (one year deal.)

pbmax
07-27-2019, 10:48 AM
It's an odd contract, for Daniels. I don't recall seeing many one year deals for such a large amount, with most of it guaranteed. On one hand, Detroit seems to be saying they expect him to be a major contributor this year (big salary, most guaranteed). On the other hand, they don't have long-term confidence in him (one year deal.)

If normal parameters applied (and they may not here) he would have had to trade affordable years for more up front money.

They may not have wanted to commit to more years and some of that "guaranteed money" might not be full guaranteed.

Patler
07-27-2019, 11:28 AM
If normal parameters applied (and they may not here) he would have had to trade affordable years for more up front money.

They may not have wanted to commit to more years and some of that "guaranteed money" might not be full guaranteed.

That is the interesting question for me, is the guaranteed money really guaranteed?

I expected a team only willing to commit one year to him would be concerned about the age/size/foot injury factors. If they were willing to pay a lot if he is OK they would also want to tie a significant portion to incentives, roster bonuses, etc. if he isn't OK If they are not worried about those things, and willing to pay a lot, they would want to have options with him for a couple more years.

Maybe it isn't what it seems.

pbmax
07-27-2019, 12:33 PM
Schefter and PFT believe the money is full guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1154869913116401664

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/26/mike-daniels-gets-7-8-million-guaranteed-from-lions/

pbmax
07-27-2019, 08:43 PM
Overrated and overpaid.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Lions gave DL Mike Daniels a 1-year deal worth $9.1M with $7.8M guaranteed... and of the 13 teams who called, four other teams were willing to do that deal or better. But the former #Packers star wanted to play for coach Matt Patricia... and stay in the division.

esoxx
07-27-2019, 09:26 PM
I don't get the Daniels hate. One of TT's better defensive line picks.

gbgary
07-27-2019, 09:39 PM

yup. me either. suh is 32 and signed for 9.25 guaranteed. daniels has been a very good player for us. it was bad luck getting hurt last year. he's healthy. he just turned 30. the team is worse without him. i've a feeling this will backfire. a self inflicted wound.

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 05:31 AM
Overrated and overpaid.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
The #Lions gave DL Mike Daniels a 1-year deal worth $9.1M with $7.8M guaranteed... and of the 13 teams who called, four other teams were willing to do that deal or better. But the former #Packers star wanted to play for coach Matt Patricia... and stay in the division.

Well if he’s healthy Detroit will at least get max effort for two games. Shoulda traded him to the Jets and shipped him his locker.

pbmax
07-28-2019, 07:32 AM

yup. me either. suh is 32 and signed for 9.25 guaranteed. daniels has been a very good player for us. it was bad luck getting hurt last year. he's healthy. he just turned 30. the team is worse without him. i've a feeling this will backfire. a self inflicted wound.

I agree. I think its scheme fit and cost. Pettine wants certain traits, Daniels was effective but not dominant and did not play with those traits. Once they signed Dr. Zaius and trusted Lowry with a new deal, there wasn't room left for him on the books or depth chart.

He did not start last season and had been replaced in certain sub defenses by Wilkerson. I think that was the first sign of the disillusionment.

I take his quick re-signing that other teams (at least 4, possibly as many as 13) also think he is still effective at his earlier price. Its not often a vet gets cut this late into the offseason and replicates their previous deal.

I wonder if the Packers asked him to take a pay cut?

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 07:41 AM
I don’t think the comparison to Suh is a good one. Suh is enormous, can play nose and penetrate, never misses a game, and can occupy a double team. As he gets older, he gets moved out more by those doubles, but he’s normally a pretty solid anchor. Daniels was never that guy. Good penetration and strength and above average motor, but he was getting blown off the ball far too easily and that’s why he disappeared on early downs.

Patler
07-28-2019, 11:13 AM
I agree. I think its scheme fit and cost. Pettine wants certain traits, Daniels was effective but not dominant and did not play with those traits. Once they signed Dr. Zaius and trusted Lowry with a new deal, there wasn't room left for him on the books or depth chart.

He did not start last season and had been replaced in certain sub defenses by Wilkerson. I think that was the first sign of the disillusionment.

I take his quick re-signing that other teams (at least 4, possibly as many as 13) also think he is still effective at his earlier price. Its not often a vet gets cut this late into the offseason and replicates their previous deal.

I wonder if the Packers asked him to take a pay cut?

I agree, they basically no longer need him at the cost. For what he has done well, they have now brought in younger, taller guys to do the same. They will honor their commitments to those players to see if they will be the team's future. For what Daniel's didn't do as well, they have younger, bigger guys who maybe just as effective. Since they were unlikely to resign Daniels next year anyway, the cost/value calculation was not in his favor in GB, particularly in view of the team's modest cap surplus and the list of players they want to sign.

I haven't seen much real Daniel's hate posted here, just recognition that he is more limited than the very best, and his bark was often worse than his bite. Doesn't mean he wasn't a good player.

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Daniel’s appeal was becoming more selective.

call_me_ishmael
07-30-2019, 12:41 AM
I don’t think the comparison to Suh is a good one. Suh is enormous, can play nose and penetrate, never misses a game, and can occupy a double team. As he gets older, he gets moved out more by those doubles, but he’s normally a pretty solid anchor. Daniels was never that guy. Good penetration and strength and above average motor, but he was getting blown off the ball far too easily and that’s why he disappeared on early downs.

Suh is legit 6'4", Daniels might be 6'. HUGE difference in my opinion.

pbmax
07-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Mt. Adams also seems to have figured into this calculation, perhaps as Lane Taylor did with Sitton.

@zachkruse2
Pettine on Montravius Adams: Most improved? "It would be Montravius." Pettine challenged him right away. "Mon has taken the challenge."

@PackerReport
Pettine calls Montravius Adams the team's most improved player over the last year. Pettine says his opinion of Adams "wasn't very high" to start with but was "playing some quality minutes" by the end of the season. Will depend on him this year.

@RobDemovsky
Packers D-coordinator Mike Pettine called @Montravius1TGE the most improved player on his side of the ball over the last year and admitted "when I first got here, my opinion of (Adams) wasn't real high." Credited @GB_CoachMont for developing him.

gbgary
07-30-2019, 03:39 PM

i was just comparing age and contract. suh's always been an attitude guy though...taking plays off, dirty. a journeyman the last several years. he's stolen more money than he's earned. daniels has always been a good player for the Packers and everyone loved him until the cap situation was inflamed by rodgers contract then last year's injury.

Rutnstrut
07-30-2019, 06:11 PM
i was just comparing age and contract. suh's always been an attitude guy though...taking plays off, dirty. a journeyman the last several years. he's stolen more money than he's earned. daniels has always been a good player for the Packers and everyone loved him until the cap situation was inflamed by rodgers contract then last year's injury.

Suh is most of the things you stated. BUT, he performs. Daniels, not so much.

pbmax
07-31-2019, 07:46 AM
Suh is most of the things you stated. BUT, he performs. Daniels, not so much.

Yeah, sort of. Suh, like Raji, could dominate the guy in front of them. Raji with a quick burst, Suh by just knocking them out of the way. But they each played too much hero ball. Penetrate too much, don't hold a gap, get gashed.

Daniels had a little of that in him and I suspect that is why he was not starting at the beginning of last year (its that or Pettine REALLY loves height). I never thought Wilkerson in his 3 games looked far superior, but I might have been proven wrong.

Suh has oodles of physical talent, Raji had some remarkable physical characteristics, but I think the thing that drive DCs mad was not playing into the scheme. I don't think Daniels took plays off, I think he played a bit of a one man game and just wasn't as talented.

pbmax
07-31-2019, 08:15 AM
The other thing his release tells us is that he was ticketed for 3 tech pass rusher at most.

run pMc
07-31-2019, 09:47 AM
The other thing his release tells us is that he was ticketed for 3 tech pass rusher at most.

Yeah. I think for as little as they play with 3 DL, with Clark, Lowry, plus Z.Smith and one of the others (M.Adams, Lancaster, Gary, P.Smith) they have options, and a $10M cap hold for a player with limited versatility I think it's a matter of scheme fit which impact the production/pay. Maybe they go back to more 3-3 vs. 2-4, or disguise it with the bigger bodies...but they couldn't do that with Daniels. He was a 3T pass rusher.

Inside pass rushers have value, and he was generally a pretty good player and guy in the community so good for him.
I hope he does well except against the Packers.

QBME
07-31-2019, 05:49 PM
I love this board. Some serious stuff that I cannot follow on a day - day basis., but good stuff from followers in the know, most better than the talking heads.

BUT, the fixation on players long gone..I present you...

Teamcheez1
07-31-2019, 08:16 PM
I love this board. Some serious stuff that I cannot follow on a day - day basis., but good stuff from followers in the know, most better than the talking heads.

Why are you bringing Cletidus Hunt into the conversation again?

pbmax
07-31-2019, 08:55 PM
I have a Mike Daniels sized hole in my heart.

Fritz
08-02-2019, 11:17 PM

. . . Taysom Hill.

Vincenzo
08-03-2019, 12:49 AM
I have a Mike Daniels sized hole in my heart.

Lol, now there’s a good one! 👍

Teamcheez1
08-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Does anyone find it odd that 10 practices into the preseason, Mike Daniels has still not practiced?

pbmax
08-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Does anyone find it odd that 10 practices into the preseason, Mike Daniels has still not practiced?

Can they be fairly called practices if, indeed, one does not practice?

run pMc
08-06-2019, 07:36 AM

That is odd. Gotta think the foot injury is holding him back...that or Matt Patricia is making him pass some conditioning test before getting on the field.

pbmax
08-07-2019, 08:15 PM
My last two Daniels posts until they lose a regular season game via defense.

Nice breakdown of the reasons SmithxSmith, Fackrell and Gary are here rather than Daniels. Basically, versatility. I think the author overestimates Clark's pass rush and I think the basic sub package squeeze is that Daniels isn't needed for run support any more means Pettine is free to align rushers anywhere he wants and doesn't need to keep Daniels at the 3 tech.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/7/24/20708619/mike-daniels-cut-packers-brian-gutekunst-offseason-vision-training-camp-defense

pbmax
08-07-2019, 08:18 PM
I don't think he is done.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBNlhEBWwAEEGMj?format=jpg&name=small

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Daniels must be in Stubby's doghouse.

mraynrand
08-07-2019, 09:57 PM
I don't think he is done.

APRH

Zool
08-08-2019, 08:02 AM
I'm surprised he made the minimum snaps requirement.

pbmax
08-08-2019, 08:24 AM
I'm surprised he made the minimum snaps requirement.

Still the biggest shock of last year was Wilkerson starting over him in 2 DL sub packages. I think Pettine expects a lot of 2 gapping from his DL when they are out there.

Teamcheez1
08-15-2019, 10:30 AM
From Lions practicing with Texans:

"Mike Daniels was nowhere to be found. That doesn’t necessarily mean he wasn’t here somewhere -- with three sprawling fields and no elevated place from which to watch practice, it made tracking players difficult -- but I never found him. And he certainly wasn’t on the field. Which is odd, because he said just last week he’d be practicing in Houston. “I’ll be able to do some striking with the guys down there when we get to Houston,” Daniels said on NFL Network. "It’s a process. Honestly, I could play (in the preseason opener) tomorrow, but it’s just a matter of being smart. Just continuing to strengthen everything, continue to get in shape and everything. So it’s just being smart. But I’ll be out there soon.”

Daniels signed with the Lions on July 26, and was expected to need some time to be ready to go. But three weeks? And he’s still missing practice? When he said he’d be back? Expect Patricia to be asked about this on Thursday, because this is weird."

run pMc
08-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Foot injury lingering? Just being careful? IIRC the Lions didn't play many starters vs. the Patriots, but I'm thinking they are being typically vague "it's a process"...yeah, like cement drying.
After calling Patricia a genius, how much stock should we put into what Daniels says?

Teamcheez1
08-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Lions DT Mike Daniels still ailing from last season’s foot injury

By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com

HOUSTON -- Mike Daniels didn’t make the trip to Texas this week, a surprise development after the Lions’ newest defensive tackle said he expected to practice with the Texans.

Coach Matt Patricia has confirmed Daniels’ prolonged absence is due to the foot injury he sustained in Green Bay last season. He underwent surgery and missed six games, then didn’t do much in the Packers’ offseason program this year. But he did tell reporters he expected to be a full participant in training camp.

Then he was let go on the eve of camp, which sparked some questions about whether the foot remained a concern. Thirteen teams called Daniels within an hour of his release, though, and there seemed to be a competitive market for his services.

He chose the Lions over a dozen other teams because he wanted to play for Matt Patricia, whom he called a defensive genius. Of course, the Lions also gave him a one-year contract worth $8.1 million that was almost fully guaranteed.

Now 20 days later, he’s still not practicing............................

pbmax
08-16-2019, 11:35 AM
Next news item might be Daniel's finding a way to beat a physical to sign a contract.

Teamcheez1
08-28-2019, 06:53 PM
You come into the NFL, you work so hard,” Daniels said, via MLive.com. “You just give everything you’ve got every single day. You walk into that building and say, ‘They’re not going to cut me. I’m not going to get cut. I’m not going to get released. I’m going to make it hard for them.’ So when it happened, and then I saw I had an opportunity to play for the Lions, I said, ‘Man, I’m glad I got cut.’ I’m really excited to be here. Really excited to be here.”

bobblehead
08-28-2019, 08:35 PM
You come into the NFL, you work so hard,” Daniels said, via MLive.com. “You just give everything you’ve got every single day. You walk into that building and say, ‘They’re not going to cut me. I’m not going to get cut. I’m not going to get released. I’m going to make it hard for them.’ So when it happened, and then I saw I had an opportunity to play for the Lions, I said, ‘Man, I’m glad I got cut.’ I’m really excited to be here. Really excited to be here.”

What else can he say:
"Man this is gonna suck. We will be lucky to win 6 games this year, but fuck it, I got paid!"

Fritz
08-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Well, the NBA is trending in that direction, and it's wildly popular with the young people, so maybe he could do that.

pbmax
08-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Complain all you want about the NBA, but its a prime example of hard salary ceilings making for tremendously inefficient resource allocation.

Which then becomes funny in a secondary way because many of the commentators and fans (who want players paid less :roll:) moan about players taking things other than salary into consideration.

Fans are terrible and they should not be listened too. Same with Cowherd.

MadScientist
08-29-2019, 12:46 PM
So it looks like the Packers may have been dubious of his foot holding up and cut bait, otherwise he'd have been put on PUP/IR and taken his full salary. Don't know how he passed Detroit's physical, but that's their problem. Perhaps their doc was in season mode - 'Yeah he can play through that' (limb hanging on by a thread) vs signing mode 'He is too much of a risk' (hangnail).

call_me_ishmael
08-29-2019, 01:10 PM
Well, the NBA is trending in that direction, and it's wildly popular with the young people, so maybe he could do that.

What did you mean by this? I don't really understand.

gbgary
08-29-2019, 05:32 PM
So it looks like the Packers may have been dubious of his foot holding up and cut bait, otherwise he'd have been put on PUP/IR and taken his full salary. Don't know how he passed Detroit's physical, but that's their problem. Perhaps their doc was in season mode - 'Yeah he can play through that' (limb hanging on by a thread) vs signing mode 'He is too much of a risk' (hangnail).

not at all. daniel was strictly a cap move. nothing football about it. in fact they're weaker for it. he passed their physical because he's ok. they wouldn't have made that offer otherwise. they're det, they're unlucky, but they're not stupid.

MadScientist
08-29-2019, 06:16 PM
not at all. daniel was strictly a cap move. nothing football about it. in fact they're weaker for it. he passed their physical because he's ok. they wouldn't have made that offer otherwise.

Coach Matt Patricia has confirmed Daniels’ prolonged absence is due to the foot injury he sustained in Green Bay last season. He underwent surgery and missed six games, then didn’t do much in the Packers’ offseason program this year. But he did tell reporters he expected to be a full participant in training camp.

To me that would indicate he wasn't really ok, but he managed to somehow pass the physical. The Packers move could have strictly been about the cap, but they would also be in a position to know about his foot and wanted to make sure they could cut bait without being forced to put him on IR and paying him.

they're det ... they're not stupid.

You are the first person here to ever express that thought.

Teamcheez1
09-09-2019, 10:33 AM
Daniels had 1 assisted tackle this past weekend.

mraynrand
09-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Daniels had 1 assisted tackle this past weekend.

6 snaps?

(It was 31)

pbmax
09-09-2019, 10:47 AM
6 snaps?

Lack of preseason snaps snares another performer.

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Heil Guteler - 1
Victim Daniels - 0

Fritz
09-09-2019, 10:50 AM
He did not make his presence felt, as far as I could tell.

And the Lions are still the Same Ol' Lions, or SOL, as they say in Detroit.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 10:52 AM
It’s like the holocaust at 1265. Anyone with Thompson seed is being executed.

pbmax
09-09-2019, 10:57 AM

What is with you and Hitler references today? Knock that shit off.

George Cumby
09-09-2019, 10:59 AM
ikr. gross

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 11:40 AM
I apologize for the unsettling comments. I believe the people of the World are lied to through education, religion, entertainment industry and news media. Any time we completely wipe out a country like we did to Germany, they feed us lies for why we had to do it so we stay on board with their master plan to use us up like cattle.

So my humor is not meant to make light of anyone dying, I laugh more at humanity for believing what they’re told in school.

I realize that is an inside joke and just unsettles people so I’ll put the big bad hitler jokes on the back burner.

George Cumby
09-09-2019, 11:42 AM
Marshall Plan. And I don't mean Newhouse.

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2019, 01:27 PM
I apologize for the unsettling comments. I believe the people of the World are lied to through education, religion, entertainment industry and news media. Any time we completely wipe out a country like we did to Germany, they feed us lies for why we had to do it so we stay on board with their master plan to use us up like cattle.

So my humor is not meant to make light of anyone dying, I laugh more at humanity for believing what they’re told in school.

I realize that is an inside joke and just unsettles people so I’ll put the big bad hitler jokes on the back burner.

We could use a guy like you in FYI, RG. You and Wist would probably be real cozy.

hoosier
09-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Remember that stats are not always a good measure of DL performance. We would have to watch the film to know what kind of presence big Mike had yesterday. Who's up for that daunting task?!?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Karma is a bitch.

Thompson was merciless at exterminating Sherman seeds. Kampman woulda gained weight to play DE. Consequently, ole AK retired to dull Iowa ringless.

Polar Bear cut the great Al Harris midway through the SB season. Bush, not Harris, played D in the SB - another proof of Todd’s incompetence. Nice of Todd for shipping ole Al a ring, though. But Harris never got the chance dance gloriously in the rye.

George Cumby
09-09-2019, 07:30 PM
^ Boring.

pbmax
09-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Thompson was merciless at exterminating Sherman seeds. Kampman woulda gained weight to play DE. Consequently, ole AK retired to dull Iowa ringless.

Tank, get some sleep.

hoosier
09-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Karma is a bitch.

Polar Bear cut the great Al Harris midway through the SB season. Bush, not Harris, played D in the SB - another proof of Todd’s incompetence. Nice of Todd for shipping ole Al a ring, though. But Harris never got the chance dance gloriously in the rye.

You neglect to note that Harris was unable to stay on the field for more than about six games for the teams he played with after GB. He was done. Sending him a ring was sufficient recognition.

And how is Bush playing in the SB an indication of TT's incompetence?

mraynrand
09-09-2019, 10:41 PM
Thompson was merciless

He had a good game tonight.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2019, 12:45 AM
You neglect to note that Harris was unable to stay on the field for more than about six games for the teams he played with after GB. He was done. Sending him a ring was sufficient recognition.

And how is Bush playing in the SB an indication of TT's incompetence?

Harris was healthy enough to pass the Fins’ physical and suit up for them. Unfortunately, he suffered another injury in the rye soon thereafter. Doesn’t mean he woulda gone through the same fate had he remained in the Gold and Gold. Peprah started at safety, so they shoulda moved ole Al there, or kept him for depth at corner.

Bush was a good ST player, but he almost cost the Pack the SB. Game was close only b/c Rapistberger was able to exploit Bush after C-Wood got KIA. Even Bush fucked up on his pick. Abandoned assignment and left his man wide open.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2019, 01:06 AM
He had a good game tonight.

Flip burgers for the minimum wage, thanks to capitalism, so I cut the cords. Don’t have ESPN. Don’t know what you’re talking about.

mraynrand
09-10-2019, 06:24 AM
Flip burgers for the minimum wage, thanks to capitalism, so I cut the cords. Don’t have ESPN. Don’t know what you’re talking about.

You have the internet.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2019, 07:26 AM
You have the internet.

I dunno what Chris Thompson had to do with anything last night.

mraynrand
09-10-2019, 07:29 AM
I dunno what Chris Thompson had to do with anything last night.

Mercilus

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Mercilus

Oic, you and your puns.

A guy named Whitney must be lacking balls, or something, eh? I can’t stop watching vids of Whitney Westgate.

hoosier
09-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Harris was healthy enough to pass the Fins’ physical and suit up for them. Unfortunately, he suffered another injury in the rye soon thereafter. Doesn’t mean he woulda gone through the same fate had he remained in the Gold and Gold. Peprah started at safety, so they shoulda moved ole Al there, or kept him for depth at corner.

Bush was a good ST player, but he almost cost the Pack the SB. Game was close only b/c Rapistberger was able to exploit Bush after C-Wood got KIA. Even Bush fucked up on his pick. Abandoned assignment and left his man wide open.

Bush played just fine. Packers only gave up 120 yards passing in second half after Woodson went down. Steelers second half production came on the ground not through the air. On the interception, Bush diagnosed the play and jumped the route. Not a fuck up if he makes the play.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Bush played just fine. Packers only gave up 120 yards passing in second half after Woodson went down. Steelers second half production came on the ground not through the air. On the interception, Bush diagnosed the play and jumped the route. Not a fuck up if he makes the play.

rewatch the SB and then tell me how many tds bush allowed.

The pick, the TE Bush was supposed to cover was wide open on a streak route. Everybody was playing man instead for Bush. Big Ben fucked up.

mraynrand
09-10-2019, 08:14 AM

The pick, the TE Bush was supposed to cover was wide open on a streak route. Everybody was playing man instead for Bush. Big Ben fucked up.

https://media.giphy.com/media/C8XTd52ROu4Te/giphy-downsized-large.gif

mraynrand
09-10-2019, 08:20 AM

I think Bush had more kung fu than Janis

Teamcheez1
11-12-2019, 01:52 PM
From the Lions last game vs Bears:

During the game, defensive lineman Mike Daniels, who was making his first start off injury since September, hobbled off the field favoring his leg. A foot injury claimed his season last year in Green Bay, and another one cost him most of the first part of the 2019 season with Detroit, so fans were likely holding their breath when they saw the play happen in real time.

After the game, Daniels tweeted initially that he was alright. That tweet was quickly deleted, perhaps a nod to the secretive nature of the Lions in terms of injuries and what they choose to report in controlling the message. Regardless, it would be a major blessing if Daniels was correct in his assessment and he ended up coming out of the game unscathed after appearing to sustain another potential injury.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 02:05 PM

He's just making shit up. He's off "Pistol Force 69" and now onto "he was playing zone while everyone else was in man to man". He used that in the Game Day thread and it seemed possible enough that I went back and looked. 35 minute of game broadcast if you want to see Kevin King pick up a slot receiver on a seam route.

If we were smart, we would make an app game of what color commentary Tank and wist will hand out on weekly basis, Jeopardy style.

Blake Martinez has this kind of upside.

Packer's Mike Pettine use this defense that no one on planet Earth has ever heard of.

Predicted this loss because the Packers don't know how to draft this side of the ball.

Should have drafted Metcalf because Allison is such a sloth he could have played this position.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Its a good question. Janis had some skills and reeled in two out of this world catches versus Carolina. He might have been the greatest guy to have on one man routes if the Packers ever did that as part of a game plan.

But Bush was serviceable if vulnerable as a CB. In the slot, he was as close to Woodson as they had when Wood was hurt.

Both were great gunners.

pbmax
11-12-2019, 02:53 PM
He's just making shit up. He's off "Pistol Force 69" and now onto "he was playing zone while everyone else was in man to man". He used that in the Game Day thread and it seemed possible enough that I went back and looked. 35 minute of game broadcast if you want to see Kevin King pick up a slot receiver on a seam route.

If we were smart, we would make an app game of what color commentary Tank and wist will hand out on weekly basis, Jeopardy style.

Packer's Mike Pettine use this defense that no one on planet Earth has ever heard of.

Predicted this loss because the Packers don't know how to draft this side of the ball.

Should have drafted Metcalf because Allison is such a sloth he could have played this position.

This rule based method of sports salary accounting can always be 'cooked'.

Gotarace
11-12-2019, 06:55 PM

You forgot to include what nationality or skin color of each player mentioned in his reply's...that is all important in grading a Football Players Skills...

Fritz
11-13-2019, 05:42 AM
Throw in a reference to the "Wu Tang Clan" and you've got every Tank post from the last two years.

run pMc
11-13-2019, 10:41 AM
Throw in a reference to the "Wu Tang Clan" and you've got every Tank post from the last two years.

Nothing about Coldplay or Snow Patrol?

Zool
11-13-2019, 02:06 PM
Nothing about Coldplay or Snow Patrol?

Oh man, totally forgot about Snow Patrol.

Tank, do you eat a lot of soy?

George Cumby
11-13-2019, 03:14 PM
I made it to 1:14. Can you do better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D52qnC7dJcQ

Zool
11-13-2019, 03:50 PM
My estrogen levels are far too low for that link.

pbmax
11-13-2019, 05:24 PM
This rule based method of sports salary accounting can always be 'cooked'.

Some believe this band to be underrated and kick-ass, even if 40 Year Old Virgin made crude jokes about fans sexuality.

This hip hop group from Staten Island (no we did not make that up) is for some the pinnacle of artistic and athletics prowess.

Ol' Dirty Bastard from this group is a top notch evaluator of draft able NFL talent.

NFL positional oddities DeShaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson are proving a lot of old people (Bill Polian) wrong.

I got nothing for Snow Patrol (could do Arctic Monkey, Killers, Strokes, Modest Mouse though).

run pMc
11-14-2019, 09:15 AM
So... we sure miss Mike Daniels and his $8M salary huh?

Fritz
11-14-2019, 11:15 AM
He did play on Sunday, and I think he had a sack.

But no, we're not missing that dude.

RashanGary
11-14-2019, 12:55 PM
He did play on Sunday, and I think he had a sack.

But no, we're not missing that dude.

But he got injured again sometime shortly after The sack. Looked good on the sack though. If he was healthy he’s easily worth 8M. But he’s not healthy

RashanGary
11-14-2019, 12:58 PM
I made it to 1:14. Can you do better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D52qnC7dJcQ

I love music and I made it to 45 seconds or so. BORING!!!!

RashanGary
11-14-2019, 01:04 PM
https://youtu.be/7cUELYuzRGc

RashanGary
11-14-2019, 01:12 PM
The game of thrones theme, especially when done so powerfully like they did there, makes me want to kill someone with my bare hands and then cry with those of us who are left alive. Hopefully me and my gf, who has a perfect vagina, survive so it can be her that I’m holding.

George Cumby
11-14-2019, 02:50 PM
The game of thrones theme, especially when done so powerfully like they did there, makes me want to kill someone with my bare hands and then cry with those of us who are left alive. Hopefully me and my gf, who has a perfect vagina, survive so it can be her that I’m holding.

Is your girlfriend the solo Cellist? Because she looked like she was gonna' cry after watching season 8.

wist43
11-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Is your girlfriend the solo Cellist? Because she looked like she was gonna' cry after watching season 8.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/db/84/1d/db841d6fe2d9e3a837874641cd67e0d6.jpg

I like my cellist better :)

Tina Guo :glug:

pbmax
11-14-2019, 05:04 PM

I’ve never seen writers give up faster than those two after they landed the mega deals.

One of which is now at the bottom of the Narrow Sea.

pbmax
11-14-2019, 05:05 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/db/84/1d/db841d6fe2d9e3a837874641cd67e0d6.jpg

I like my cellist better :)

Tina Guo :glug:

Wist, you got the bookmark for Asian Singles confused with PackerRats again.

wist43
11-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Wist, you got the bookmark for Asian Singles confused with PackerRats again.

Discovered Tina Guo when she toured with Joe Bonamassa a few years ago... hard to watch any of the other performers when she's on stage :)

George Cumby
11-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Oh, what the hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVsR9B5HbCc

RashanGary
11-14-2019, 05:58 PM
https://youtu.be/aHjpOzsQ9YI

RashanGary
11-14-2019, 06:10 PM
https://youtu.be/Hg8Fa_EUQqY

George Cumby
11-14-2019, 07:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjJnWuA7-ps

wist43
11-14-2019, 09:53 PM
https://youtu.be/Hg8Fa_EUQqY

Never heard of her... had to look her up. She has an interesting back story... was on the Thai Olympic Ski team, even though she is British. Her father is Thai.

41 yrs old, good lookin girl. Crazy talented.