PDA

View Full Version : RANDOM MUSINGS FROM TRANING CAMP...WHAT HAVE YOU HEARD...THE GOOD AND THE BAD

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Let's spice things up and note any TC musings. I'll start.

Defense looking WAY better than the offense.

Black Martinex had the first INT of training camp

Wist's Hero, Holy Fackrell, had the seccond INT of training camp

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 02:21 PM
DEFENSE has looked WAY better than the offense.

Per GB reporters, so far the best part of the D has been the secondary; they are blanketing the WR's

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 02:24 PM
MATTY FLOOR..............kinda looks like a weenie out there, but chicks dig him cause they say he's good looking.

ESPN was breaking down his interview on the offense. He's really DAM careful with his words.

When Matt was asked about Daniels, listen to his response. He starts by saying Daniels is a grr.....then hesitates....really good football player before he begins circle talking.

Also keeps noting they are trying to establish a Green Bay Offense. My pondering thoughts are when will we really see the first sign of frustration with Rodgers and Matty. Because the offense is going to be very different and stresses some things that Rodgers may not have bought into in the past.

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 02:26 PM
ABOUT THE DANIELS CUT

Reportedly GB wanted to wait til they did to make sure Daniels passed his physical first.

BUT WHAT SORT OF DIPSHIT would announce the cut right before Matty Floor's presser. Wait til after you bunch of Marcia led DumbAsses

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 02:28 PM
CRAP; I just realized there is already an official training camp thread................SORRY......maybe i"ll just post in here by myself.

mraynrand
07-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Keep posting. This is a good thread.

pbmax
07-27-2019, 04:43 PM
ABOUT THE DANIELS CUT
snip

BUT WHAT SORT OF DIPSHIT would announce the cut right before Matty Floor's presser. Wait til after you bunch of Marcia led DumbAsses

You should call Murphy on his public line and ask. Very good question. Gutey has been good about taking pressure off his coach, in a reversal of Ted Era norms.

mraynrand
07-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
23h23 hours ago
More
Just overheard a Lambeau Field tour guide: "That young man is awfully lucky he did not put his fist into a part of the wall that had a stud behind it."

Ah, Odell Beckham Jr.'s wall punch after the 2016 wild-card game lives well in the memories around these parts.

BROWNS REFITTED LOCKER ROOMS WITH 1/4 INCH INSTEAD OF 1/2 INCH DRYWALL

mraynrand
07-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
5h5 hours ago
More
#Packers offense as a whole, and backup QB DeShone Kizer especially, is having its best day of camp. Kizer hit Jake Kumerow in the numbers on a slant pass for another TD in red zone.

HOPE THAT WASN'T VERSUS KA'DAR

mraynrand
07-27-2019, 05:18 PM
Ryan Wood

Verified account

@ByRyanWood
Jul 26
More
New #Packers RB Corey Grant running the cones. Covered him at Auburn. Super, duper speed. He’s also from Opelika. (cc: ⁦@Szvetitz⁩)

DUPER = 0.2 REDUCTION IN THE 40 (4.25 and 4.3 at his pro day). Woodbuck certified draft value = 6.8659

Nickname "Taillights"

RashanGary
07-27-2019, 05:20 PM
Kizer is the only dud I know of so far. And Gary destroyed Spriggs. So it’s same old spriggs. Nothing new there.

Gary has been good. MVS making a name too. Jimmy Graham looking fast now healthy.

RashanGary
07-27-2019, 05:21 PM
Jimmy Graham should be fine. A well conditioned athlete should be fine at 31. I’m 38 and I didn’t lose speed till about 36ish.

mraynrand
07-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Kizer is the only dud I know of so far. And Gary destroyed Spriggs. So it’s same old spriggs. Nothing new there.

Gary has been good. MVS making a name too. Jimmy Graham looking fast now healthy.

Kizer had a better second practice apparently

mraynrand
07-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Jimmy Graham should be fine. A well conditioned athlete should be fine at 31. I’m 38 and I didn’t lose speed till about 36ish.

It just depends on that knee.

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 05:46 PM
MVP is the best hope I have of developing a #2. I just can't believe it's Allison

Great to hear about Jimmy; keep me up to date. For my NY auction he'll go cheap so if his legs are back that is great news !!

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 05:49 PM
I'm Bullish on the Browns

I lack the confidence that GB is making the playoffs

Joemailman
07-27-2019, 06:10 PM
ABOUT THE DANIELS CUT

Reportedly GB wanted to wait til they did to make sure Daniels passed his physical first.

What difference does it make when they made the announcement? If they waited until after LaFleur's PC, he would have faced the same questions the next day.

You wouldn't still be whining because Boy Wonder didn't get the Packers GM job, would you?;)

Joemailman
07-27-2019, 06:58 PM
MATTY FLOOR..............kinda looks like a weenie out there, but chicks dig him cause they say he's good looking.

ESPN was breaking down his interview on the offense. He's really DAM careful with his words.

When Matt was asked about Daniels, listen to his response. He starts by saying Daniels is a grr.....then hesitates....really good football player before he begins circle talking.

Also keeps noting they are trying to establish a Green Bay Offense. My pondering thoughts are when will we really see the first sign of frustration with Rodgers and Matty. Because the offense is going to be very different and stresses some things that Rodgers may not have bought into in the past.

So Far so good. :D

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/tom-oates-compromise-has-been-good-so-far-for-packers/article_98bd3846-ac50-55ce-ad82-bc6deeec8930.html

Some have speculated Rodgers will try to bully LaFleur on the use of audibles, largely because he’s headstrong and believes it gives the Packers a late-in-the-snap weapon that few NFL teams possess. But if the first week of training camp is any indication, such speculation is off base. Instead, LaFleur and Rodgers are trying hard to find a middle ground that will maintain the integrity of the offense while at the same time giving Rodgers some of the latitude he likes at the line of scrimmage.

Others have noticed. General manager Brian Gutekunst is encouraged by what he sees as a “very, very collaborative” effort on offense among LaFleur, Rodgers, offensive coordinator Nate Hackett and quarterback coach Luke Getsy.

The biggest reason for optimism is that LaFleur and Rodgers seem to be communicating very well, which opens the door for a healthy, productive compromise and, more important, a healthy, productive relationship between the two most important figures on the team.

RashanGary
07-27-2019, 08:02 PM
MVS, King, Alexander, Gary looking good. Would be nice to have these young guys become playmakers.

pbmax
07-27-2019, 08:13 PM

Gonna need a link for this.

texaspackerbacker
07-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Generally good news so far on all fronts.

The thing Rodgers does so great and some fools dislike is basically improvisation. You aren't gonna see any of that in training camp against our own D, especially early.

I really like the idea of Valdez-Scantling playing on the outside and Allison in the slot. That seems like the best use of what each one can do. I said last year I wish they'd use St. Brown in the slot too. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some reps there also. There's no reason why you need some little 5'10 guy there.

The Packers D is gonna be special this season across the board. I'm not nearly as optimistic about the O Line, but hopefully they will be a little bit improved too. The more the O Line improves - if any, the less those Aaron Rodgers detractors will need to endure seeing him do what he is so great at.

Either way, this should be a Super season.

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 08:46 PM
What difference does it make when they made the announcement? If they waited until after LaFleur's PC, he would have faced the same questions the next day.

You wouldn't still be whining because Boy Wonder didn't get the Packers GM job, would you?;)

Serious ? You let the GM address this whole thing later that day. No Brainer.

Wonder boy I'm sure will do a hell of a job with the Browns

Bretsky
07-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Gonna need a link for this.

I don't need a link that Spriggs is being made a bitch. Nearly all of the info I get is from Sports Radio, most frequently the guys who cover the Packers. So fair warning.....believe what you want from me but I'm not looking up articles to read. My sources will always be guys like Silverstein being interviewed on ESPN local radio

gbgary
07-27-2019, 10:02 PM
I'm Bullish on the Browns

I lack the confidence that GB is making the playoffs

yup.

from what i've heard from nagler and other reporters so far is the passing game is really struggling. guys can't get open, several int's. hopefully it's just the learning curve. it's very early but they need to get it sorted in the preseason because an 0-5 start would effectively kill the season.

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 05:16 AM
yup.

from what i've heard from nagler and other reporters so far is the passing game is really struggling. guys can't get open, several int's. hopefully it's just the learning curve. it's very early but they need to get it sorted in the preseason because an 0-5 start would effectively kill the season.

A 1-4 start would also be very bad.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-28-2019, 06:27 AM
Meanwhile in the Great Northwest, DK Metcalf is looking pretty good. And I ain’t taking about Metcalf’s hulked-up frame. Lil Russ and DK are developing some sweet chemistry up there, ala Heisenberg and Pinkman.

All b/c the German Shepherd would rather draft a fucking center.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-28-2019, 06:33 AM
yup.

The receiving crop is composed of Adams and a bunch of wankers. I hope the universe shows pity on the Packers, but no amount of time is gonna fix the lack of talent at WR this season.

Shoulda drafted Metcalf and Isebella and Ridley. A fucking center!!!!

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 07:25 AM
Meanwhile in the Great Northwest, DK Metcalf is looking pretty good. And I ain’t taking about Metcalf’s hulked-up frame. Lil Russ and DK are developing some sweet chemistry up there, ala Heisenberg and Pinkman..

In principle I still have uncertainty about that Seattle offense. It might be a weak bond between Metcalf and Wilson.

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 07:29 AM
The receiving crop is composed of Adams and a bunch of wankers!

Geronimo Allison will make people forget about Jeff Query.

pbmax
07-28-2019, 07:39 AM
yup.

Are we talking Rodgers interceptions or adding in the backups? Because adding Kizer to the total is gonna tip the scales to defense in a big way.

Rodgers has had two that I know of, one to Blake and one to King. But much of the coverage, especially the first two days, did say the defense is ahead especially on the run game.

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 07:43 AM
The offense is an all new install. Defense has had a year so knows what to do mostly. I’ll start worrying if the offense cant move the ball in the third preseason game

Radagast
07-28-2019, 08:13 AM
https://i2.wp.com/www.stridentconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Albert-Einstein-Insanity.jpg?resize=320%2C191&ssl=1

The player/coaching/management changes that have taken place over the last few seasons are a good sign that Mark Murphy and his staff "Get it". Instead of standing still and hoping that all will get better, they have made some serious changes and sent out a serious message to GB's Coaches and Players. That message, few if anyone's job is totally safe and being exceptional is now the new standard and being average will see you hitting the road.

pbmax
07-28-2019, 08:40 AM
https://i2.wp.com/www.stridentconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Albert-Einstein-Insanity.jpg?resize=320%2C191&ssl=1

The player/coaching/management changes that have taken place over the last few seasons are a good sign that Mark Murphy and his staff "Get it". Instead of standing still and hoping that all will get better, they have made some serious changes and sent out a serious message to GB's Coaches and Players. That message, few if anyone's job is totally safe and being exceptional is now the new standard and being average will see you hitting the road.

In what way do you expect coaches, with guaranteed contracts to to feel unsafe in Year 1 of their deals?

Players I get because Monty, HaHa and Daniels have all been jettisoned.

mraynrand
07-28-2019, 10:20 AM

If you take a glance around the NFL, you’ll probably notice that no jobs are safe. Even Marv Lewis eventually got fired. Win or you are out.

Anti-Polar Bear
07-28-2019, 12:35 PM

Pretty sure Query can still outrun Allison, and Query is white. You know your receiving crop sucks when a 6th string, at best, guy like Allison is starting.

Cheesehead Craig
07-28-2019, 12:44 PM

LOL

run pMc
07-28-2019, 12:51 PM
In principle I still have uncertainty about that Seattle offense. It might be a weak bond between Metcalf and Wilson.

LOL

call_me_ishmael
07-29-2019, 12:07 AM

lol wtf haha

call_me_ishmael
07-29-2019, 12:11 AM
I just don't see Allison as a slot guy. What's quick or shakey about a long legged deer lookin' man? I know he's always hurt and that contract was an albatross but I like Randall Corn on the Cobb in the slot 1000x better than Say Geronimo Allison. Allison is JADG. Deer guy.

run pMc
07-29-2019, 07:14 AM
I think based on the WR's Gute has signed that he's going after big WR's. I generally think of slot WR's as being in the quick/shifty YAC mold, but the big slot WR seems to be the Packers' vision. Allison is not a speedster, but he has a knack for getting open, and Rodgers likes him. Personally, I think EQ could do very well there, but mostly I think they'll move the WRs around and put Graham in the slot.

Packers4Glory
07-29-2019, 02:21 PM
secondary blanketing our WR? color me shocked. like I didn't see it for 16 games last year. I guess it's a nice confidence booster until they play a real receiver corp.

mraynrand
07-29-2019, 02:55 PM
secondary blanketing our WR? color me shocked. like I didn't see it for 16 games last year. I guess it's a nice confidence booster until they play a real receiver corp.

APRH, I wouldn't bet against the secondary. Very likely will be a huge team strength, regardless of what you think about the receiving corps.

Upnorth
07-30-2019, 10:31 AM
My Green and Gold goggles tell me we have a very strong secondary if we they can blanket cover our WR corp. My memory of the 2018 season says we have at least 1 good CB to cover Adams and then a bunch of slightly better than meh secondary to cover our meh wr's.

pbmax
07-30-2019, 11:29 AM
If it makes you fell any better, Twitter beat writer consensus was that the offense and its WR won Sunday's padded practice.

Fritz
07-30-2019, 12:44 PM
Some of these training camp reports on LeFleur and Rodgers read more like a psychologist's notes than a football analysis. If we're going to keep going down that road, then I say we bring in some Freudian perspectives, dammit.

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Some of these training camp reports on LeFleur and Rodgers read more like a psychologist's notes than a football analysis. If we're going to keep going down that road, then I say we bring in some Freudian perspectives, dammit.

We could all tell each other about your mother.

pbmax
07-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Sometimes a JUGS machine is just a JUGS machine.

CaptainKickass
07-31-2019, 06:17 PM
We could all tell each other about your mother.

It just so happens I made a song about "Your Mother" who was among other things, a big fan of football.

https://thekickassparodyproject.bandcamp.com/track/your-mother

Bretsky
07-31-2019, 10:51 PM
RANDOM MUSINGS

Yesterday after an Adams Fumble MattyFloor sent the whole offense to the sidelines

Today after Josh Jones laid a hard tackle on somebody when he was not supposed to he got sent away

Bretsky
07-31-2019, 10:53 PM
Anybody still ponder how we were quick to hire a guy who nobody else wanted to interview ? And he led the Titans offense to the craphole last year. Was listening to National Talk Radio and they felt he was a terrible hire. Time will tell

Joemailman
07-31-2019, 11:22 PM
RANDOM MUSINGS

Yesterday after an Adams Fumble MattyFloor sent the whole offense to the sidelines

Today after Josh Jones laid a hard tackle on somebody when he was not supposed to he got sent away

He sent a message that being careless with the ball won't be tolerated and breaking team rules won't be tolerated. A new coach needs to establish himself. I wholeheartedly agree with both decisions.

Joemailman
07-31-2019, 11:25 PM
Anybody still ponder how we were quick to hire a guy who nobody else wanted to interview ? And he led the Titans offense to the craphole last year. Was listening to National Talk Radio and they felt he was a terrible hire. Time will tell

Who the fuck cares what some anonymous person on something called National Talk Radio thinks about Lafleur? Well, I guess you do.

Radagast
08-01-2019, 02:24 AM
How well Tennessee's offense performed under OC La Fleur was directly related to the personnel he had to work with and to who they played from week to week

In GB, HC LaFleur is still limited by the same factors, however IMO he has better personal to work with. As for TC not being as it was under McCarthy, well Duh ! With a new HC installing a new offensive system it is not like the train is resting on all of those tracks laid over the previous seasons. LaFleur's new "train" has to lay all new track and can't rest upon the former system as a cushion. So if uses a dramatic move like removing the entire offense from the field to drive home his point, then I support it.

Also, from what I read/hear HC LaFleur and Rodgers are hitting it off and the mutual respect is fast becoming a new team asset. Additionally, I've heard some chatter regarding Rodgers throwing the "long ball". Past injuries or just rust may be a current problem, but forcing the issue may be worse than slowly working/treating any physical problems. It could be as simple as installing a different stretching and massage program for Rodgers. He may also be limited to throws per practice as a safety measure. It should not affect his play on running play drills where throwing the ball is not required.

I'm not reading/hearing much concerning GB's receiving core. Who is shining and who is struggling among the WRs and TEs and RBs? How are the backup QBs performing?

Bretsky
08-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Who the fuck cares what some anonymous person on something called National Talk Radio thinks about Lafleur? Well, I guess you do.

well one might argue a guy running a sports radio show knows as heck of a lot more about sports than the average homer in a message board

Radagast
08-01-2019, 07:39 AM
well one might argue a guy running a sports radio show knows as heck of a lot more about sports than the average homer in a message board

True enough, but it's still only one opinion. He may be more informed, but I've heard talking heads spew out their praise/negativity on Thursday and/or Friday, only to ask for more catsup to choke down their "Crow" on Monday. These guys belch from the same hole that they cram pie into.

pbmax
08-01-2019, 08:06 AM

A lot depends on the commentator, who was it?

I think La Fleur has a lot to prove. But the basics are there. He has seen success, worked with some talented people.The systems he has been in have worked before. He has steadily risen the ladder and been given more responsibility. But he's never been a head coach and his record of converting offenses is mixed. Falcons (QB coach right) were fantastic. Good first year with Rams (non play calling OC). Very mixed results with injured Titans Offense.

I like the hard stance on fighting. Personally, I think its fighting in pads is dumb, but you don't win football game by cloning me. You might need some hotheads. Sometimes its a knife fight, though I suspect in the long term you are better off avoiding those. But M3 was OK with fights. Sherman? Holmgren? Don't remember.

♫Where have you gone Wayne Simmons
A defense turns its lonely eyes to you♫

Zool
08-01-2019, 08:23 AM

One would be wrong in that assessment.

SudsMcBucky
08-01-2019, 09:23 AM

One also might argue that a guy running a sports radio show makes statements to draw intended debate/feedback, whether they actually believe the statements to be true or not.

ThunderDan
08-01-2019, 09:44 AM

Remember McCarthy's stint at SF as OC before we hired him?

Patler
08-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Remember McCarthy's stint at SF as OC before we hired him?

I was just thinking the same thing. He wasn't all that hot of a head coach prospect at the time either, as I recall.

Zool
08-01-2019, 11:22 AM
I was just thinking the same thing. He wasn't all that hot of a head coach prospect at the time either, as I recall.

This is fun

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2288985

McCarthy, 42, served as the Packers' quarterbacks coach in 1999, working with Favre. Last week, Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, suggested his client might more likely to return to the team in 2006 if Green Bay hired Steve Mariucci, a former Packers assistant who was later the head coach in San Francisco (1997-2002) and Detroit (2003-2005).

Cheesehead Craig
08-01-2019, 12:47 PM
Too bad we had to go with MM instead of Brad Childress at the time. Brad had a "kick ass" offense (that was sarcasm).

Bretsky
08-01-2019, 10:56 PM
One also might argue that a guy running a sports radio show makes statements to draw intended debate/feedback, whether they actually believe the statements to be true or not.

I'm Might Ague I'm kind of bored with the factual inventory so I OFTEN do this too

pbmax
08-02-2019, 08:42 AM
I am surprised Brett isn't a GM yet. Oh wait, no I am not.

run pMc
08-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Fighting in pads does seem kind of silly...I mean, the pads are designed to soften body blows, right? Seems like a good way to pull a Nick Perry and end up wearing a club.

MadScientist
08-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Fighting in pads does seem kind of silly...I mean, the pads are designed to soften body blows, right? Seems like a good way to pull a Nick Perry and end up wearing a club.

They also disrupt the flow and tempo of practice. The goal of TC is to get ready for the season, and this doesn't help. I like that MLF does not put up with any BS.

Fritz
08-02-2019, 03:12 PM
DeShone Kizer must be having a schizophrenic camp. One day I read he's airmailing the ball all over, then I read he's right on target. Anybody have any real idea how he's doing so far? Or is he that up-and-down?

And is Josh Jones really coming along, as Gute has said, or are they blowing smoke up everyone's rear end so they can try to get something, anything for him? Is the guy playing exclusively that hybrid linebacker/safety spot now?

And did Spriggs come back from his trapezius injury, or is he still out?

Bretsky
08-02-2019, 04:32 PM
I am surprised Brett isn't a GM yet. Oh wait, no I am not.

Cleveland's already called :)))

Bretsky
08-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Chris Mortenson reported GB would be a nice fit for da Badger RB MELVIN

But Chris Mortenson is full of shit; I don't think they'd have any interest at all to pay Gordon in the 12MIL/Year range

run pMc
08-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Chris Mortenson reported GB would be a nice fit for da Badger RB MELVIN

But Chris Mortenson is full of shit; I don't think they'd have any interest at all to pay Gordon in the 12MIL/Year range

Very true. I think Mortenson is being lazy...Gordon's a fit because he's a Badger? Really? Has Mortenson looked at the RB camp roster? They have about 6-7RBs and Jones is their RB1. It's not like the cupboard is bare.
He could throw out the names of half the teams in the league as a fit.

Fritz
08-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Very true. I think Mortenson is being lazy...Gordon's a fit because he's a Badger? Really? Has Mortenson looked at the RB camp roster? They have about 6-7RBs and Jones is their RB1. It's not like the cupboard is bare.
He could throw out the names of half the teams in the league as a fit.

Melvin would be a good fit in Detroit, as Coach Matt Patricia wants a stronger run game to go with his revamped defense.

Hey, that sounds reasonable! I could do what Chris Mortenson does! How much does that job pay?

Cheesehead Craig
08-02-2019, 10:15 PM
They only bring it up so Rodgers has a big name RB so then he has a running game to compliment him. Then everything will be roses and dancing unicorns.

mraynrand
08-03-2019, 09:04 PM
The excitement level over family night cannot be measured at Packerrats.

Consensus reports (read: lazy) are that Kum and Davis did well. Didn’t hear
Much else. Oh. Saw that Bacteria got beat by Dr. Zaius twice.

Patler
08-03-2019, 09:35 PM
The excitement level over family night cannot be measured at Packerrats.

Difficult to keep up with all the threads and posts, isn't it?

esoxx
08-03-2019, 10:03 PM
I'm trying to keep my powder dry until the Texans game Thursday night.

Should be a barn burner.

mraynrand
08-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Difficult to keep up with all the threads and posts, isn't it?

I think a lot of discussion has moved to the social medias. I’m not on Facebook or Twitter (though I do look at a few twitter feeds). I’m in flux as to where to get reliable info without having to pay for multiple subscriptions.

texaspackerbacker
08-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Anybody know some details about the Family Night scrimmage?

gbgary
08-04-2019, 01:54 PM
king has a hammy. ugh!

RashanGary
08-04-2019, 08:04 PM
I’ve watched MVS a lot at the practices I’ve gone to. He’s quick, fast, under control, smooth, confident. He practices hard. 6’4 4.37! Plus he catches the ball and has good agility. And he has gansta swag! I’m buying an MVS jersey! First since Finley!

MVS and Gary are my dudes right now. Clark of course too and I have a feeling savage is gonna be in the list too!

pbmax
08-04-2019, 09:19 PM
From the coverage at USA Today, I take it Aaron Rouse is back on the Packers. Amazing.

pbmax
08-04-2019, 09:23 PM
Demovsky

Packers practice attendance report: Still out: Mason Crosby (calf), RB Jamaal Williams (hamstring), RB Aaron Jones (hamstring), CB Josh Jackson (foot), OLB Kendall Donnerson (hamstring), OLB Greg Roberts (abdomen), T Jason Spriggs (trapezius) and DE Fadol Brown (calf). Returned: S Mike Tyson (personal matter), LB Curtis Bolton (illness). http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41071814-4

Jim Owczarski

@JimOwczarski
Jake Kumerow catches, you guessed it, a touchdown on an excellent route on Ka'Dar Hollman in one-on-ones.#TouchdownJesus

Tom Silverstein

@TomSilverstein
Kumerow gets the best of Jaire Alexander on first and 10 deep route. Kumerow did a great job disguising when the ball was going to get there.

Jason Wilde

@jasonjwilde
Jake Kumerow with a terrific 37-yard contested catch up the right sideline from Aaron Rodgers against tight coverage by Jaire Alexander with #Packers No. 1 offense going against No. 1 defense in 11-on-11. #WhitewaterJesus

Bill Huber
@PackerReport
Great catch by Kumerow. Low and outside and makes a tumbling grab.

Two-minute results

Zach Kruse

@zachkruse2
#Packers two minute drill (1s vs 1s): Rodgers to Graham, Rodgers to Allison (beat Tramon in the slot), draw to Vitale (big gain), Rodgers to Kumerow (beat Hollman), MVS drop on third down ends the drive. Ficken makes a 35-yard FG.

pbmax
08-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Davante beats Jaire

Matt Schneidman

@mattschneidman
Davante Adams was matched up against Nydair Rouse, but Jaire Alexander told Rouse to let him guard Adams for this 1-on-1. Advantage Adams. (Please excuse the press box view)

Name to remember on the OL

Tom Silverstein

@TomSilverstein
Alex Light getting some reps with the 1s at RT in place of Bryan Bulaga in the first team drill.

Trevor Davis TD

Jason Wilde

@jasonjwilde
#Packers No. 4 QB Manny Wilkins with a downfield laser to streaking Trevor Davis for a 70-yard touchdown. Hit Davis in stride behind CB Nydair Rouse. Really nice throw and catch. Wilkins has had some really strong moments in camp.

Tom Silverstein

@TomSilverstein
Great catch by Trevor Davis over Rouse on the sideline. Jumped and two-handed the ball over Rouse's helmet along the sideline.

Wes Hodkiewicz

@WesHod
Tony Brown jumps a route along side vs. No. 2 offense for a "Pick-six." The entire defense runs to end zone to celebrate #Packers

Ryan Wood

@ByRyanWood
Really late throw from from DeShone Kizer to Equanimous St. Brown on an out route to left sideline, and #Packers CB Tony Brown steps underneath it for an easy interception. Just jogged into end zone for pick-6.

pbmax
08-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Ficken update

Rob Demovsky

@RobDemovsky
Ficken finishes the night by drilling a 63-yard field goal. He goes 9-of-12.

Bill Huber
@PackerReport
Ficken makes a 63-yarder to end the night. Leg isn't the problem. He hit 9-of-12 for the night. All three misses tonight, and every miss in camp, went wide right. Practice ends 1 hour,43 minutes. "Go Pack Go" chant to end the night.

Punting update

Tom Silverstein

@TomSilverstein
A couple of decent hang times from P JK Scott, but nothing extraordinary. High was 4.7 seconds and low was 4.16. Only had one touchback kicking from his own 31 through opponent 45.

Tom Silverstein

@TomSilverstein
Kizer's throw to J'Mon Moore is tipped by Ka'Dar Hollman and intercepted by Chandon Sullivan. Hollman beat Moore to the spot on a slant. Maybe P.I., but looked like a good aggressive play.

Matt Schneidman

@mattschneidman
Sam Ficken mobbed at midfield after hitting a 63-yarder to end practice. You can’t see the ball, but trust me that it went in. Ficken finishes 9-of-12 tonight, hitting from 51, 54 and 63 to finish.

Joemailman
08-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Ficken incredible.

call_me_ishmael
08-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Mason Crosby at any risk of getting cut? Honestly, I'd like to save that 3M or whatever on the cap.

Radagast
08-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Sam Ficken may beat out Mason Crosby and save the team 3 million, but Crosby has high pressure experience and as long as he can do his job well he deserves to collect on his years of good service. In addition, he can stand as an example to the team of what hard work and loyalty can earn. If Ficken is as good as advertised, then he should have no problem getting on with a team that needs a good kicker.

pbmax
08-05-2019, 07:28 AM
I think Crosby was back at practice yesterday. Shawn Mennenga might think its a competition, but I doubt Gute thinks it is.

pbmax
08-05-2019, 08:58 AM
The NFL has perfected mind control.

Bill Huber
@PackerReport
Technology is wonderful, NFL ref Brad Rogers says of PI change.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBNgkbNXsAIoTbi?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Patler
08-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Fricken put on a "show" during the FG period of family night, nailing some long range kicks; but, he missed a couple FGs during the offense vs defense and two minute drills. Making kicks when it is just kicker, holder and long snapper on the field doesn't mean much if he misses the same kicks when the entire offense and defense are on the field. Unless Crosby performs very poorly, I don't see Fricken beating him out.

SudsMcBucky
08-05-2019, 09:46 AM
There are a LOT worse things the Pack could do than paying $3 million to a kicker who's made some pretty pretty pressure packed kicks during his tenure. A lot of NFL games are determined by 3 points or less and spending $3 mil is not a big investment to have a good one on the roster. Ask the Bears.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-05-2019, 10:29 AM
Sam Ficken may beat out Mason Crosby and save the team 3 million, but Crosby has high pressure experience and as long as he can do his job well he deserves to collect on his years of good service. In addition, he can stand as an example to the team of what hard work and loyalty can earn. If Ficken is as good as advertised, then he should have no problem getting on with a team that needs a good kicker.

The Dallas playoff game was 4 scores and 7 years ago. Crosby hasn’t been clutch since. Cost Pack plenty of games in the clutch the last couple of seasons. Plus, Crosby can no longer kick the rock into the deep end zone.

Time to move on from Crosby.

Loyalty means fuck in the NFL. Just ask Favre, Nelson, Sitton and Daniels.

Radagast
08-05-2019, 10:40 AM
The Dallas playoff game was 4 scores and 7 years ago. Crosby hasn’t been clutch since. Cost Pack plenty of games in the clutch the last couple of seasons. Plus, Crosby can no longer kick the rock into the deep end zone.

Your opinion is as valid as any. As for me I discount a post that comes from a poster that uses a magazine cover from the same magazine that once had Adolph Hitler on their cover as their avatar.

texaspackerbacker
08-05-2019, 11:17 AM
APB, CMI, and me all in agreement hahahahahaha?

I also would like to see Crosby replaced. I'm not sure Ficken is good enough, though.

Patler
08-05-2019, 01:10 PM

My opinion regarding Crosby has nothing to do with loyalty, it's performance. The thing Crosby has going for him is his head. He seems to not not let things get to him. After his "0-for" against Detroit, he was perfect the next week, including a 51 yarder, a game-tieing extra point with under 2 minutes remaining, and the game winner as the clock expired. He didn't let the worst game of his career stop him from being perfect the next week and making a game winning kick to boot.

Fricken made practice kicks and missed two game situation kicks. That's not going to get the job away from Crosby without Crosby showing significant decline.

pbmax
08-05-2019, 02:18 PM
My opinion regarding Crosby has nothing to do with loyalty, it's performance. The thing Crosby has going for him is his head. He seems to not not let things get to him. After his "0-for" against Detroit, he was perfect the next week, including a 51 yarder, a game-tieing extra point with under 2 minutes remaining, and the game winner as the clock expired. He didn't let the worst game of his career stop him from being perfect the next week and making a game winning kick to boot.

Fricken made practice kicks and missed two game situation kicks. That's not going to get the job away from Crosby without Crosby showing significant decline.

No, Patler, I am sure you are mistaken :lol:

Tank would never make an assertion ("Cost Pack plenty of games in the clutch the last couple of seasons") without actual data to back it up.

Would you APB?

Share that data with us.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-05-2019, 06:45 PM
No, Patler, I am sure you are mistaken :lol:

Tank would never make an assertion ("Cost Pack plenty of games in the clutch the last couple of seasons") without actual data to back it up.

Would you APB?

Share that data with us.

What am I, a masochist? I’ve been trying to erase the past 2 seasons from my head, and therefore do not wish to review the seasons.

I’ll say this, though: Crosby made 79% of his kicks in 17 and 81% in 18. Subpar. And the last time McCarthy coached the Packers, Crosby’s miss as time ran out was the blade that decapitated McCarthy.

Plenty of kickers on the streets of Baltimore, including Younghoe Koo (I support NFL oddity), are more than capable of hitting 81% of their kicks...for way less frogskins than what the Packers are paying Crosby.

call_me_ishmael
08-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Hasn't Crosby regressed to basically a below average kicker, though? The numbers support that (http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct), but I didn't dive into them in great detail to figure out success on shorter kicks vs longer kicks, etc. I am going purely off a (potentially misleading) aggregated average.

Joemailman
08-05-2019, 10:23 PM
He had 1 horrible game against Detroit last year. Other than that game, he was 29-32 on Fg's. He was 5-7 from 50+, so he still has leg strength. Had a rookie snapper and holder. I'd give him another chance.

call_me_ishmael
08-05-2019, 10:31 PM
He had 1 horrible game against Detroit last year. Other than that game, he was 29-32 on Fg's. He was 5-7 from 50+, so he still has leg strength. Had a rookie snapper and holder. I'd give him another chance.

That seems reasonable. Good post.

pbmax
08-06-2019, 08:20 AM
Hasn't Crosby regressed to basically a below average kicker, though? The numbers support that (http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct), but I didn't dive into them in great detail to figure out success on shorter kicks vs longer kicks, etc. I am going purely off a (potentially misleading) aggregated average.

I think he has become closer to average than top echelon overall, yes. But Joe is right he was handicapped last year, especially with the long snapper being very inconsistent.

However, even if another year doesn't get the operation past above average, there is no reason to be upset about average in this area with someone who cannot be iced or pressured. That plus his ability to deal with an ever changing Lambeau tundra is a pretty nice feature.

pbmax
08-06-2019, 09:32 AM
You see, if you move on from average, you get things like this:

@ProFootballTalk
Bears refuse to name a starting kicker on official depth chart

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1158740920361201665

Meanwhile Robbie Gould just signed a multi-year deal elsewhere.

Patler
08-06-2019, 10:06 AM
I think he has become closer to average than top echelon overall, yes. But Joe is right he was handicapped last year, especially with the long snapper being very inconsistent.

However, even if another year doesn't get the operation past above average, there is no reason to be upset about average in this area with someone who cannot be iced or pressured. That plus his ability to deal with an ever changing Lambeau tundra is a pretty nice feature.

I don't understand why no one was brought in to challenge Hunter Bradley. I gave particularly close attention to watching his snaps after the FG fiasco against Detroit. Bradley was very erratic. Didn't have a horrible snap, but Scott was continually have to adjust for inaccurate snaps on punts and placekicks. Media types thought Triner was the better snapper in camp last year, but Gute kept his draft pick instead. I hope Bradley justifies that decision this year.

RashanGary
08-06-2019, 06:48 PM
Danny Vitale showing WR type athleticism, route running and catching skills. Rodgers says, “he’s gonna make the team”
Tra Carson showing up as an all around back
Rashan Gary destroying OTs and OGs in one on ones
Z destroying OL
OL playing really well according to Lafleur. 1st 2nd and 3rd team
Rodgers loving the scheme and looking forward to pushing it
Lafleur pushing pace, something I’ve been complaining about since Favre left
Tonyan playing well
Hollman playing well
Crazy Tony Brown might make the team

RashanGary
08-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Nothing drives me nuts quite like endless tinkering at the line and slow pace offense. Yuck!!! Shove it so far down their throat, they choke on it. Line up and let your OL tee the fuck off. Play football, not chess. Mix in a little bit of tinkering here and there when it’s ideal or absolutely needed, but a strong pace makes up for and surpasses a slightly less than ideal play call because it keeps the big guys tuned into aggression and violence.

esoxx
08-06-2019, 08:51 PM
Nothing drives me nuts quite like endless tinkering at the line and slow pace offense. Yuck!!! Shove it so far down their throat, they choke on it. Line up and let your OL tee the fuck off. Play football, not chess. Mix in a little bit of tinkering here and there when it’s ideal or absolutely needed, but a strong pace makes up for and surpasses a slightly less than ideal play call because it keeps the big guys tuned into aggression and violence.

Completely agree with this. Watching Forehead Manning work his Tourette Syndrome routine at the line prior to the snap was nails on the chalkboard to me. Could barely watch a Colts or Broncos game with the constant histrionics. Great QB yes, fun to watch no.

RashanGary
08-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Completely agree with this. Watching Forehead Manning work his Tourette Syndrome routine at the line prior to the snap was nails on the chalkboard to me. Could barely watch a Colts or Broncos game with the constant histrionics. Great QB yes, fun to watch no.

Manning was the worst. But I got to see one of the most inspiring field generals (Favre) for 15 years so I know what beat the shit out of the opponent pace looks like and Rodgers has never done it. He tinkers and thinks so much it slows the run game and takes away from aggression. Manning was way worse, but Rodgers is bad enough. Favre/McCarthy were better. It’s a Rodgers thing, so I’m glad to see mlf pushing pace so hard. Rodgers needs it.

texaspackerbacker
08-06-2019, 09:50 PM
You don't recall the success of the no huddle offense? You don't recall getting plays off so quick that you get a free play as the opponent can't get off the field in time?

That's pace. It has its place, and playing some chess with the D has its place too.

If you're the Wisconsin Badgers in college football - dominant line, running back U., etc., and somebody like Hornibrook at QB, then you line up and ram it down their throat. But if you have the Packers O Line and the super mobile GOAT QB, then you tinker around and see if the D will tip off its coverage or if you can end up with a good match up - sometimes anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a little bit less of that because our WRs are so good this year ....... on the other hand, doesn't LaFleur's offense have a lot of motion - which takes time and might slow pace a little bit.

Bretsky
08-06-2019, 10:19 PM
From ESPN

Gary has really stood out; they'd be surprised if he wasn't a Pro Bowler within a couple years

Defense really looking good...reallly good...............offense......not so much.

Pondering if that is due to our defense......or......the offense is just not that good

Joemailman
08-06-2019, 10:38 PM
From ESPN

Gary has really stood out; they'd be surprised if he wasn't a Pro Bowler within a couple years

Defense really looking good...reallly good...............offense......not so much.

Pondering if that is due to our defense......or......the offense is just not that good

Well, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that everyone on offense is learning a new system that is very different from the old one. The defense is expanding on what they learned last year. Early in the year especially this team will need to rely on the defense as the offense faces several of the NFL's top defenses.

Plus, let's face it. The defense should be more talented right now. Over the last 4 years the Packers have had 13 draft picks in the first 3 rounds. 10 have been defensive players. 3 of the Packers 4 big FA signings last year were on defense.

call_me_ishmael
08-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Well, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that everyone on offense is learning a new system that is very different from the old one. The defense is expanding on what they learned last year. Early in the year especially this team will need to rely on the defense as the offense faces several of the NFL's top defenses.

Plus, let's face it. The defense should be more talented right now. Over the last 4 years the Packers have had 13 draft picks in the first 3 rounds. 10 have been defensive players. 3 of the Packers 4 big FA signings last year were on defense.

Another thoughtful and great post. I appreciate it. I suspect you're right and we're going to see that talent start to shine this year on D. For those players that are three years in, this is their first year with some continuity.

<homer>Personally, I am more excited about this Packers team than last years and maybe even the year before. Maybe it's my homerism or blind optimism, but I am convinced (privately) that this team could be a super bowl contender. I am also sort of convinced Rashan Gary is going to be the steal of the draft.</homer>

Sort of like Philly, the Packers may not be great in any specific area, but they really don't have any holes as far as units go.

As an aside, for all year took of Gary and Z Smith this summer, I have heard very little mention of Preston Smith from the beat writers on Twitter. Am I wrong about that?

pbmax
08-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Manning was the worst. But I got to see one of the most inspiring field generals (Favre) for 15 years so I know what beat the shit out of the opponent pace looks like and Rodgers has never done it. He tinkers and thinks so much it slows the run game and takes away from aggression. Manning was way worse, but Rodgers is bad enough. Favre/McCarthy were better. It’s a Rodgers thing, so I’m glad to see mlf pushing pace so hard. Rodgers needs it.

Your memory is faulty. Favre did not play with pace like you describe.

Rodgers and McCarthy have played it both faster and slower. Epically slower if you consider the extended offense, though that was called on the LOS so it keep the defense from substituting.

Better than pace is execution and success. Pace is a second order effect at best (like TOP) and should be a primary concern in designing an offense.

Bretsky
08-07-2019, 08:22 PM
SCORING

Wonder if the Packers offense or defense will be rated higher ??

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 08:47 PM
SCORING

Wonder if the Packers offense or defense will be rated higher ??

I’m thinking defense. We have so many pass rushers and MLF runs the ball, and that eats clock, so I don’t think we’re gonna see shoot outs.