07-29-2019, 09:13 PM
https://twitter.com/ScottBarrettDFB/status/1155997293964718080

texaspackerbacker
07-29-2019, 09:33 PM
My kind of guy!

bobblehead
07-29-2019, 11:30 PM
https://twitter.com/ScottBarrettDFB/status/1155997293964718080
Within: Wide receivers matter way more than both, but let’s focus on running backs compared to tight ends.

It’s an easier comparison anyway due to chip blocks obscuring our route run data (for both RBs and TEs but not WRs).

M3 read that and heard "WR and the passing game are all that matter. Fuck the RB's and TE's"

bobblehead
07-29-2019, 11:36 PM
I read nearly the entire thread. I don't disagree, but I don't agree. Running with authority matters. And my main complaint of MM is that the leagues best O's are using RB and TE's more than ever. MM didn't adjust and teams like the Rams and Eagles excelled. I watch Brady audible out of a pass and into a run 10 times a game.

My point now and always has been that you need balance. When you telegraph your move by being one dimensional you will not succeed. You have to be flexible. Fat mike was not. All indicators are that M4 will be. I have always been a ZBS fan. I think the track record of the NFLs best offenses make my point for me. The Rams run often and with authority. As do the saints, Patriots and Chiefs. No one accuses them of being "run first". M3? He ran out of power formations 12 times a game. Not successful in a long time. Last time we were awesome? Ryan Grant was following a ZBS line and Rodgers was ripping teams trying to stop Grant.

BALANCE

bobblehead
07-29-2019, 11:38 PM
You want to actually be smarter....read this:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/7/29/8934824/packers-matt-lafleur-offense-built-around-run-game-aaron-rodgers-training-camp-2019

"While Ryan nabbed MVP that season, the Falcons were 22nd in pass rate (the Packers were 2nd). The incredible production came from efficiency. Only the Saints had a better success rate when throwing ball in ‘16 and Ryan easily led the league in yards per attempt. Ryan completed nearly 70% of his passes for just shy of 5,000 yards, putting him in elite company all time with a historic season."

bobblehead
07-29-2019, 11:41 PM
PS. your guy writes fantasy, my guy writes reality

pbmax
07-30-2019, 07:31 AM
The problem with the Falcons is that they achieved those spectacular results once. Despite wanting to do the same thing, when they lost Shanahan, they lost that offense. Which suggests, though isn't definitive, that the uniqueness of the offense was most of the factor rather than play calling or mix of run or pass. Or personnel.

And McVay has been the only one who has gotten similar results since then, with a modified version of that offense.

However, I agree the article is actually part 2 of: How to build your offense and decide between run and pass. At some point I will dig into his history and see if he has written that piece. But having plays that are alternatives to your passing game are obviously necessary. I don't think Aaron Jones is averaging 5.0 ypc because he is Jim Brown or LaDanian reincarnated. He gets that because the box is (relatively) empty.

You need something to constrain the defense from over committing (like a batter learning to go the other way versus a shift). You want surprise on your side, its always good to be one step ahead. And you want something to take advantage of the defenses adjustments (Jones into a six man box). Pay action engages the first and last option.

I think the personnel question is the big one for the Packers. Are they built to run anywhere close to 55/45? I think a successful mix for this team with Rodgers would be more Patriots or Chiefs model, than 2016 Falcons. But even that mix presupposes that the receiver corp and Rodgers have a much better year this year. And that is where I think LaFleur might find his biggest impact.

Cheesehead Craig
07-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Obligatory "I'm now smarter" post

bobblehead
07-30-2019, 09:45 AM
The problem with the Falcons is that they achieved those spectacular results once. Despite wanting to do the same thing, when they lost Shanahan, they lost that offense. Which suggests, though isn't definitive, that the uniqueness of the offense was most of the factor rather than play calling or mix of run or pass. Or personnel.

And McVay has been the only one who has gotten similar results since then, with a modified version of that offense.

However, I agree the article is actually part 2 of: How to build your offense and decide between run and pass. At some point I will dig into his history and see if he has written that piece. But having plays that are alternatives to your passing game are obviously necessary. I don't think Aaron Jones is averaging 5.0 ypc because he is Jim Brown or LaDanian reincarnated. He gets that because the box is (relatively) empty.

You need something to constrain the defense from over committing (like a batter learning to go the other way versus a shift). You want surprise on your side, its always good to be one step ahead. And you want something to take advantage of the defenses adjustments (Jones into a six man box). Pay action engages the first and last option.

I think the personnel question is the big one for the Packers. Are they built to run anywhere close to 55/45? I think a successful mix for this team with Rodgers would be more Patriots or Chiefs model, than 2016 Falcons. But even that mix presupposes that the receiver corp and Rodgers have a much better year this year. And that is where I think LaFleur might find his biggest impact.

I think we agree mostly, but I harp on the run because MM and even Holmgren before him were too quick to throw it out. I understand the passing game tilts the field. No argument. I also understand that running with authority 1) opens up the field 2) wears out a D and gives your OL a leg up 3) keeps another teams O off the field and out of rhythm.