PDA

View Full Version : Will Wide Receivers Hold Back This Offense?

Pages : 1 [2]

texaspackerbacker
11-30-2019, 01:36 AM
GB will certainly be a playoff team this season. Most likely they will win the NFC North and finish as the 3rd or 4th seed. They stand strong to win their Wildcard game, but a win in the Divisional round would go against the odds. Still further, should a mericle occur and they make it to the NFC Championship game, IMO they would face either the Saints or the 49ers. Both of these teams are just better than GB.

On the bright side, GB will have turned around a decline from over the past few seasons and (with a good draft) be in a better position to raise the bar next year. HC LaFleur deserves lots of credit for a 1st time/1st year HC in the NFL. The experience gained this season by the entire team should serve to make them an even better team next season.

As much as I too want to see GB win it all this season, I believe that they still have a few more steps to climb first.

:pack:

hahahahaha Explain please how we would be the 4th seed. 3rd could happen, but if as you predict, we win the North, it's likely we would finish ahead of the Saints - who have a helluva tough schedule going forward. If they only lose to the Niners and we win out, we would have the better conference record and be the 2nd seed.

The Saints and Niners are better than the Packers huh? I guess we'll see about that. I'm not gonna argue that we're better than the Niners after they kicked our ass so bad, but I also wouldn't bet against beating them in the NFC finals.

I have to agree with you that there are a lot of things the Packers need to improve, but that doesn't mean they can't beat pretty much anybody in any given game so long as Aaron Rodgers is healthy and the rest of the team doesn't flop completely.

bobblehead
11-30-2019, 08:03 AM
I used to believe in GMo, but I just can't anymore.

I never did and pulled my remaining hair out when the same writer told me Kumerow had no shot cuz he is slow and undrafted, but allison is a budding star.

ThunderDan
11-30-2019, 09:20 AM
E
You get a lot better view on TV than at the stadium - especially in the nosebleed seats those guys apparently were.

I like quoting your ridiculously dumb posts. This one is probably up on your top 10 list.

One of the reasons I love going to Packer games live is you can watch the WRs releases off of the line. You don’t see that at all on TV. The camera follows the QB back in to the pocket and you can see only a couple of players if they are running routes with in 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Your favorite play only shows ARod scrambling and heaving the ball. You don’t even see the WR who makes the catch 30 yards down the field on TV until the ball is half way there.

The TV follows the ball not the other players.

red
11-30-2019, 10:12 AM
E

I like quoting your ridiculously dumb posts. This one is probably up on your top 10 list.

One of the reasons I love going to Packer games live is you can watch the WRs releases off of the line. You don’t see that at all on TV. The camera follows the QB back in to the pocket and you can see only a couple of players if they are running routes with in 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Your favorite play only shows ARod scrambling and heaving the ball. You don’t even see the WR who makes the catch 30 yards down the field on TV until the ball is half way there.

The TV follows the ball not the other players.

don't bother. your facts and insight are wasted on him

run pMc
12-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Will Wide Receivers Hold Back This Offense?

Yes, and they have.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Was at the 49ers game and repeatedly saw the receivers get open, and Rodgers refusing to pull the trigger.

Something has happened to him, and better receivers isn't going to fix it.You the jinx!!! Actually it might be me. 3X I have seen Rodgers play and 3X have seen a loss.

You had pretty much the same angle as I did. I also saw what appeared to be him constantly looking for the big play instead of taking what the D gave him. Lamar Jackson did take what they gave him yesterday against the same defense, but in the rain, which helped SF defense from getting beat down by Jackson. Steady drives that took up time and kept the game close.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Uh oh. An eyewitness account. If Mad concurs, what will Tex do?I already had said it foo!! You all were just too sad after watching Rodgers choke like he was eating a Castro district sausage Saturday night before the game.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2019, 11:49 AM
You get a lot better view on TV than at the stadium - especially in the nosebleed seats those guys apparently were.

Whiners and ingrates can whine all they want. The fact remains we are 8-3 - primarily because the GOATness of Aaron Rodgers outweighs the mediocrity of most of the rest of the team. We would be strong favorites to win 3 of the next 5, moderate favorites at home against the Bears, and hardly an underdog even against the Vikings at their place. I wonder what ya'all will piss and moan about when we win out and go at least a couple of rounds in the playoffs.MFer I was 35 rows from the field!! Corner endzone which gave me a perfect view of most of the field. I could make out the players faces all the way to the other 35 or 40 yard line. As others have mentioned you get to see a lot more extra than tv. I saw your GOAT being more of a lamb as he got eaten up holding the damn ball way too long. A few times WRs waving hand up calling for it!!

pbmax
12-02-2019, 12:22 PM
A few times WRs waving hand up calling for it!!

To be fair, if this was all it took, Billy Schroeder would be in the Hall of Fame.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2019, 01:08 PM
To be fair, if this was all it took, Billy Schroeder would be in the Hall of Fame.My point being that there was options and Rodgers ignored them. My bias for Adams is well documented here so with great regret I agree with many saying he needs to see less targets on O. At least against fast ferocious defenses like SF.

texaspackerbacker
12-02-2019, 02:59 PM
MFer I was 35 rows from the field!! Corner endzone which gave me a perfect view of most of the field. I could make out the players faces all the way to the other 35 or 40 yard line. As others have mentioned you get to see a lot more extra than tv. I saw your GOAT being more of a lamb as he got eaten up holding the damn ball way too long. A few times WRs waving hand up calling for it!!

I was going by that picture somebody posted of the view from where you were sitting. I've been to 3 Packer games the past 4 years as well as 4 Badger games in the same time frame, and I stand by what I said, you can't see as much there as on TV.

And I damn well want my QB to take his time and not put it up for grabs. Give me Rodgers or Wilson or Watson any day over Daniel Jones last week or just about any other QB in pro or college football who does things the way some in here crave, and loses games with interceptions because of it.

run pMc
12-02-2019, 03:12 PM
My point being that there was options and Rodgers ignored them.

This happens every game... off the top of my head I can think of at least two instances on the GB-NYG broadcast where I could see someone wide open while Rodgers scanned the field and went for a deeper throw instead of a safer/easier completion. It's great when it works, but IMO it's more of a gamble than taking the easy completion. Watching it reminds me of last year's offense.

FWIW, depending on what you're looking for, you can get a better view from either the TV or the stadium. The stadium is more of an All-22 thing where you can see the WR releases/patterns and the coverages better. TV tends to focus on the LOS and whomever has the ball. Most of the time you can't see where the safeties are lined up from TV.

pbmax
12-02-2019, 04:07 PM
I give Rodgers this: GMo and MVS aren't catching short passes and making hay. Same problem with Graham and Luxury Automobile. Jones and Adams can do this.

You can completely shut your own offense down by just throwing short stuff. Its easier to defend. Even Brady takes his shots (see the Houston game for what that offense looks like without being able to get deep).

So I understand Rodgers is trying to break out of that pattern (see Packers, end of 2014, 2015 and 10 games of 2016). Remember the 2 yard Dick Rod flat route.

Its an issue because he isn't connecting deep like he has previously. Some of that is on the receiver, but some of it is on Rodgers and his attempts to perfect the long bomb mid throw (extra hop step, little more air, little more time).

However, just as big an issue are the problems on first down. Running is wonderful (Packers are 4th in DVOA for running) but running on first down hasn't worked for several weeks.

You take bad 1st down running game, pre-snap penalties and a few extra 2nd and 3rd down misfired bombs, and what is an overall effective offense (8th in DVOA) just looks dreadful for quarters at a time. Its a pity Lazard looks to be better at deeper mid range routes. What they really need is someone Rodgers likes on a slant or crosser.

Packers need some plays other teams cannot stop. Right now that list is either plays to Adams or Jones, one of which the defense will choose to shut down.

yetisnowman
12-02-2019, 04:19 PM
It was crazy watching the replay of Geronimo's final catch. The defender wasn't pressing and the angle for the 5 yard out was there for the taking. Dude runs this rounded, herky-jerky looking pattern with zero burst out of his break. He's still open by a foot and Aaron puts it perfectly in his hands. Even a decent, angular route would have created easy, ample space. And decent defense would have nullified his route entirely. It was such a poor fundamental play, you can easily see why the guy goes long stretches without getting targeted. Most teams 3rd or 4th corner can render him useless with proper technique.

pbmax
12-02-2019, 05:02 PM
It was crazy watching the replay of Geronimo's final catch. The defender wasn't pressing and the angle for the 5 yard out was there for the taking. Dude runs this rounded, herky-jerky looking pattern with zero burst out of his break. He's still open by a foot and Aaron puts it perfectly in his hands. Even a decent, angular route would have created easy, ample space. And decent defense would have nullified his route entirely. It was such a poor fundamental play, you can easily see why the guy goes long stretches without getting targeted. Most teams 3rd or 4th corner can render him useless with proper technique.

Do you remember video of practice during Adams rookie year? Before the NFL forbid it?

You could see a simple drill running an in and out cutting route by all the WR and it was clear which guy could break the route off quickly.

yetisnowman
01-21-2020, 06:20 AM
It's still nauseating to think we could have traded out of the Gary pick, still got Savage, and added 2 of Hollywood/Metcalf/Samuel/AJ Brown/Hardman.
How different would this team look?
My fear is we are now going to add talented pieces the next couple of years, but Aaron isn't good enough anymore for it to matter.
Hopefully we can agree that the answer to this thread is a resounding yes. And that standing pat with these scrubs was a big mistake.

mraynrand
01-21-2020, 07:21 AM
It's still nauseating to think we could have traded out of the Gary pick, still got Savage, and added 2 of Hollywood/Metcalf/Samuel/AJ Brown/Hardman.
My fear is we are now going to add talented pieces the next couple of years, but Aaron isn't good enough anymore for it to matter.
Hopefully we can agree that the answer to this thread is a resounding yes. And that standing pat with these scrubs was a big mistake.

If Rodger's skills drop off to the level of say, a Garoppolo, there's no way this team can ever win. No path to victory ever again.

Cheesehead Craig
01-21-2020, 08:04 AM
If Rodger's skills drop off to the level of say, a Garoppolo, there's no way this team can ever win. No path to victory ever again.

I believe you

pbmax
01-21-2020, 08:07 AM
Its Gute's one big personnel miscalculation.

Other than questions about Pettine, its the only mark on year 2.

Zool
01-21-2020, 12:10 PM
I believe you

You don’t say

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Yeah, about 2030 when Rodgers is 46 years old, that just might happen.

yetisnowman
01-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Yeah, about when Rodgers is 46 years old, that just might happen.

How poorly does Aaron have to play for you to stop fellating him? He was a hair away from 5 TOs in a playoff game. When does he deserve heat, if not Sunday? It must be weird for you watching Aaron choke away another opportunity at a title with a garbage performance. Yet you still come around acting like he's infallible.

red
01-21-2020, 06:04 PM

We also could have made a trade on deadline day. I think 3 decent, vet WRs were traded. And one more in A.J. green that was available

Bengals shut down green, but there was talk that he could have played near the end of the season

I’d go after green hard in free agency

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2020, 06:53 PM
How poorly does Aaron have to play for you to stop fellating him? He was a hair away from 5 TOs in a playoff game. When does he deserve heat, if not Sunday? It must be weird for you watching Aaron choke away another opportunity at a title with a garbage performance. Yet you still come around acting like he's infallible.

I normally don't even respond to your posts because you're such an ignorant piece of shit, but I'll make an exception in this case.

Of the two fumbles, the first arguably was Rodgers' fault - he should have expected the pass rush to get there that quick and had a better grip on the ball. The second one, Linsley snapped the ball off his own ass before it ever got to Rodgers. The first interception was a bad pass, no question. If I was gonna say anything mitigating about it, it was a case of ya'all whiners getting your way - he unloaded the ball quick into a crowd in the middle of the field, all of which he usually doesn't do - thankfully from the point of view of anybody with good sense. The second interception was a desperation heave with the game all but lost - a slim slim chance Adams could catch it in a crowd for a quick TD which might have extended the slim chance to win the game. If not, the game is over anyway. I'm not sure what you're whining about with the hair away from a 5th. Rodgers was something like 31 for 38 for over 300 yards despite constant pressure and receivers that ya'all can't stop talking shit about. He dispelled any of the silly shit that he can't throw it down field any more. Even an all world idiot like you ought to be able to see that as being a damn good performance - unlike your own consistently garbage performance as a poster.

yetisnowman
01-22-2020, 12:10 AM
If you think Rodgers had a damn good performance on Sunday you are a delusional homer. But we knew that already. All the fumbles were his fault. 3 of them. 1 lost. 2 int. 5 total
O pts in the first half. I like how you use his final stats as proof he had a good game, but whenever people point out his statistical mediocrity you discredit them. Great example of stats lying. Aaron made ZERO throws that mattered. The game was over. Garbage time stats. When it mattered he wet the bed. I don't care what numbers he racked up while the Packers were down 4 scores. So to be clear his last pick doesn't count cause the game was decided, but all his 2nd half yards mean he had a great game. You're a homer clown.

yetisnowman
01-22-2020, 12:11 AM
5th. I Meant 4th.

Radagast
01-22-2020, 01:10 AM
Wide Receivers, IMO, did hold back the 2019/20 Packers. Adams is a first quality WR, but the others were hit or miss bodies in play. Hindsight is said to be 20/20, yet I believe that past history can help to set the new course for the future.

Moving forward, I'd like to see GB use players like Allison, Valdez-Scantling, Grant, Lazard, and Kumerow as trade bait to either move up in the next draft or in a trade deal for a proven deep threat WR.

Next, try to salvage something from the bust, player project, 1st round draft pick Rashan Gary. Perhaps include him in a trade deal or just cut him as necessary. Deadwood like Gary has no place on the next roster.

GB's job now is to start preparation for the next season now. A real starter replacement for Bulaga is needed at RT. Also Martinez needs help at ILB.

th87
01-22-2020, 01:15 AM
Rodgers was hot trash early, making poor decisions with the ball. Something is wrong with his vision that he'd throw it in the flat with defenders a yard away, while others are open past the first down marker. And he doesn't recognize blitzes anymore.

This stalled drives and was also a factor in the 49ers jumping out to a huge lead.

The team needs to switch to power running soon. Rodgers will not win a championship as the first option ever again.

pbmax
01-22-2020, 07:31 AM
Rodgers was hot trash early, making poor decisions with the ball. Something is wrong with his vision that he'd throw it in the flat with defenders a yard away, while others are open past the first down marker. And he doesn't recognize blitzes anymore.

Graham was supposed to pick the defender on the flat throw. But he was late and just released into his route.

If you don't run the play as designed, you get bad results.

yetisnowman
01-22-2020, 08:32 AM
In hindsight I don't judge aaron for the 1st drive. The Williams throw wasn't bad. And punting there was monumentally dumb. The next 4-5 possessions he was garbage. Bad. A decent first half we still likely lose. A good first half from Rodgers, who knows. His play took us out of the game.

run pMc
01-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Wide Receivers, IMO, did hold back the 2019/20 Packers. Adams is a first quality WR, but the others were hit or miss bodies in play. Hindsight is said to be 20/20, yet I believe that past history can help to set the new course for the future.

Moving forward, I'd like to see GB use players like Allison, Valdez-Scantling, Grant, Lazard, and Kumerow as trade bait to either move up in the next draft or in a trade deal for a proven deep threat WR.

Next, try to salvage something from the bust, player project, 1st round draft pick Rashan Gary. Perhaps include him in a trade deal or just cut him as necessary. Deadwood like Gary has no place on the next roster.

GB's job now is to start preparation for the next season now. A real starter replacement for Bulaga is needed at RT. Also Martinez needs help at ILB.

Agree the WRs (and TEs) held the team back. It was just Adams and Aaron Jones. Having a 2nd WR to threaten a defense would make a big difference IMO. Look at what Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, or Tank's crush Metcalf have done to help those offenses. Nobody except Adams cracked 500 yards receiving. In a passing league that won't get it done.

As for "Allison, Valdez-Scantling, Grant, Lazard, and Kumerow as trade bait" -- Allison and Grant are UDFA, and Lazard & Kumerow ERFAs, so basically they don't have a contract and can't be traded. Also, if you're a GM, what would you trade for any/all of them? A bag of footballs? Lazard is the only one worth keeping IMO, and he'd get maybe a 6th round pick if you're lucky.

Too early to give up on Gary. He's a project and the team knew that, he's not better than the Smiths right now, and he *should* get better, so why dump him? Few rookies light the league on fire anyway. He does need to make a Year 2 Leap, especially if they let Fackrell go.

Martinez and Bulaga might not be back. If they are, I agree Blake needs a speedy counterpart, he isn't fast enough to reliably cover, and the SF games exposed a general lack of speed at LB. Actually, GB hasn't protected the middle of the field well for years...scheme or players? Speed would help nonetheless. Bulaga, if retained, needs a solid backup for when he misses snaps...he's only 30 and has stayed pretty healthy the last 2 seasons, but doubts remain.