PDA

View Full Version : Packers waive Jason Spriggs

RashanGary
08-06-2019, 04:22 PM
About time!

QBME
08-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Oh my, lots of comments heading this way...
Too bad, maybe the last of TT's latter day mistakes to be flushed.

pbmax
08-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Packers will rue the day.

Guiness
08-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Packers will rue the day.

Not seeing where that will happen from this seat.

He's injured, I imagine he'll end up on the Packers IR after he passes through waivers. Although someone might take a flyer and put in a waiver claim. He's due to make just over $1m this year.

mraynrand
08-06-2019, 05:27 PM
He floats through the waiver wire with the greatest of ease,
It’s Jason Spriggs with his broken Trapez.

ius.

run pMc
08-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Looking back through that 2016 draft, not many good OL were taken after round 1 that year. Trading up for the pick makes it costly (trading a R2, R3 and R7 for the R2).

I think most expected the light to have gone on for him by now, so I'm not surprised except by the timing. It makes me think he was not high on the depth chart and got the first crack at backing up Bulaga as a courtesy for being a vet and R2 pick. Their OT depth doesn't look great right now. So Alex Light is the backup OT?

Spriggs getting hurt didn't help his cause. They could bring him back if he clears waivers but I doubt it. The additions of Turner, Jenkins, and return of Madison and their performance so far likely squeezed him out, and if they have someone who can play in a pinch they might be ok.

They have 3-4 hurt RBs so I guess they had to make a move to sign someone off the street.

Gute is making some interesting moves...different from Thompson.

esoxx
08-06-2019, 07:55 PM
One less turd in the punch bowl.

mraynrand
08-06-2019, 08:14 PM
One less turd in the punch bowl.

Remind me to avoid your New Year’s Eve party.

red
08-06-2019, 09:14 PM
thank god. new coach saw right away that you couldn't let that train wreck on the field

Bretsky
08-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Spriggs was garbage from day one; ThanksTed for that one. Move forward.

Glad Guter didn't keep the junk even thought it was expensive.

pbmax
08-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Buncha ingrates. Even red turned up to toss dirt on him.

Jokes on you when he is re-signed after Linsley’s injury lasts too long, they have to keep an extra interior OL at cut down and have one fewer backup OT. Then Bulaga steps on a mutant fescue and they need an OT.

mraynrand
08-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Then Bulaga steps on a mutant fescue and they need an OT.

lol. If he could get injured getting ice cream in Crystal Lake, anything is possible.

Fritz
08-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Buncha ingrates. Even red turned up to toss dirt on him.

Jokes on you when he is re-signed after Linsley’s injury lasts too long, they have to keep an extra interior OL at cut down and have one fewer backup OT. Then Bulaga steps on a mutant fescue and they need an OT.

Bretsky will be singing a different tune when Belichik signs Spriggs.

mraynrand
08-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Bretsky will be singing a different tune when Belichik signs Spriggs.

will that be worse than JH's reaction when he signs Kumerow?

Radagast
08-07-2019, 10:01 AM
The Packers starting OL is being viewed currently as one of the NFL's best. Should one or more need to be relieved, who now is the best option/s to step in/up? Depth on the OL is now a more visible issue. Spriggs injury and past performances all combined to find him waived in favor of gaining another player that may make the team better. I don't wish Spriggs any ill will and hope that he recovers from his injury and finds a home with another team.

HC LaFleur and the Packers do seem to be cleaning house. I expect to see more of this drop/add as the reg season draws closer. As other teams release players or fail to sign FA's in their camps, GB will I believe have a sharp eye upon the available players. With the departure of Spriggs, don't be surprised if GB does not drop more players that are on the bubble in favor of trying out additional OTs and OGs. McCray and Madison are listed by some as the backups at Center, does GB regularly keep 3 Centers? Hunter Bradley is listed as the Long Snapper, could he be the #3 Center as one of the others is marketed to get a veteran OT?

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 10:33 AM
It is kinda funny that me, Bretsky and Red had to get in on this one :lol:

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 10:35 AM
He’s just a below average to bad OT. It’s not like he’s the worst that’s ever played. But I feel like I have to hate him to offset the way people excuse all of his bad play. Like somehow my hate will offset it back to where he’s just kinda bad.

Cheesehead Craig
08-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the memories Springs

Zool
08-07-2019, 10:46 AM
I can't wait to see his name on the "Pursuing the dream" thread.

Upnorth
08-07-2019, 10:51 AM
He’s just a below average to bad OT. It’s not like he’s the worst that’s ever played. But I feel like I have to hate him to offset the way people excuse all of his bad play. Like somehow my hate will offset it back to where he’s just kinda bad.

Hate leads to the darkside, if you go down that path you will become a wist disciple. He followed his hate of hairspray hair and is now the evil emperor of bad d. Don't give in to the temptation

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Heil our fuhrer Gute. Exterminate the dead weight.

Bretsky
08-07-2019, 07:29 PM
It is kinda funny that me, Bretsky and Red had to get in on this one :lol:

DAM

Spriggs is gone; I don't know who to hate anymore.

mraynrand
08-07-2019, 07:32 PM
DAM

just wait a few minutes

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 07:44 PM
DAM

I really hate j’mon Moore. There is room on this hate train if you want to jump aboard.

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 07:50 PM
It’s fun to hate j’mon moore because his problem is mental and there are is a plethora of humorous/satisfying ways to vent dissatisfaction with that sort of thing.

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Josh Jones, Josh Jackson, Justin McCray, J’mon Moore, Oren Burks, Deshawn Kizer. Lots of great, hate options to choose from! If you want to get a few shots in on Kizer, start now though. Once the seasons starts you’re gonna look like a psychopath with a weird grudge if you keep bringing his name up and he’s not playing or even needed to play.

wthigoot
08-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Looking back through that 2016 draft, not many good OL were taken after round 1 that year. Trading up for the pick makes it costly (trading a R2, R3 and R7 for the R2).

I think most expected the light to have gone on for him by now, so I'm not surprised except by the timing. It makes me think he was not high on the depth chart and got the first crack at backing up Bulaga as a courtesy for being a vet and R2 pick. Their OT depth doesn't look great right now. So Alex Light is the backup OT?

Spriggs getting hurt didn't help his cause. They could bring him back if he clears waivers but I doubt it. The additions of Turner, Jenkins, and return of Madison and their performance so far likely squeezed him out, and if they have someone who can play in a pinch they might be ok.

They have 3-4 hurt RBs so I guess they had to make a move to sign someone off the street.

Gute is making some interesting moves...different from Thompson.

Wonder if Turner is the BURT and Taylor is the BULT.

pbmax
08-07-2019, 07:56 PM
The Packers starting OL is being viewed currently as one of the NFL's best.

Beside yourself, have you read anyone else with this opinion?

pbmax
08-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Heil our fuhrer Gute. Exterminate the dead weight.

Justin, this isn't funny. At all.

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 08:01 PM
J’mon more is my precious whipping post for all of my life’s frustrations and hate, but I can also let off some steam in Oren Burks direction. Wist has made it cool to hate Oren Burks.

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Justin, this isn't funny. At all.

How’d you find it? They said they deleted any of my posts pertaining to fuhrer Gute.

Joemailman
08-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Beside yourself, have you read anyone else with this opinion?

PFF had Packers at #8. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/10/pff-ranks-packers-ol-as-top-10-group-in-nfl-entering-2019/https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/10/pff-ranks-packers-ol-as-top-10-group-in-nfl-entering-2019/

Joemailman
08-07-2019, 08:14 PM

Right now Light might be the top backup at both.

pbmax
08-07-2019, 08:19 PM
PFF had Packers at #8. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/10/pff-ranks-packers-ol-as-top-10-group-in-nfl-entering-2019/https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/10/pff-ranks-packers-ol-as-top-10-group-in-nfl-entering-2019/

I know they love Bach and Linsley. Maybe they love Turner too. But man that seems high after last year's performance.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2019, 08:22 PM
They must have done some awesome blocking sled work in minicamps.

RashanGary
08-07-2019, 08:29 PM
I know they love Bach and Linsley. Maybe they love Turner too. But man that seems high after last year's performance.

Turner was a late bloomer who was solid last year and should be better this year, getting a chance to build chemistry as a starter.

Bakh - Probowl level
Taylor - Average starter
Lindsley - borderline Probowl level
Turner - Average starter (at least)
Bulaga - very good starter

Jenkins - high pick, with plug and play, ready to go now qualities
Light - coaching staffs favorite backup tackle

Not very many teams can say all 5 of their guys are starting caliber players. We have six, maybe 7 of them. I think we’ll be fine on the OL.

Joemailman
08-07-2019, 08:35 PM

They like Bulaga more than Turner. Their rating is based on a healthy Bulaga.

esoxx
08-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Right now Light might be the top backup at both.

I just hope the Light goes on for Alex.

There, it had to be said.

pbmax
08-08-2019, 08:11 AM
I guess we will see. Bulaga does not seem the same player to me even when healthy.

mraynrand
08-08-2019, 09:08 AM
I guess we will see. Bulaga does not seem the same player to me even when healthy.

Wait, are you saying Bulaga has been healthy?

pbmax
08-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Wait, are you saying Bulaga has been healthy?

Twitter reported he folded some laundry without incident last week.

run pMc
08-08-2019, 10:42 AM

I could see Turner as the RT; Taylor has played at LT but I don't know you want him out there except in an emergency.
The preseason games will tell much about who is viewed as the backups.

They have good depth at C & G, but T is a concern to me at the moment. If Bahk goes down they're in big trouble...and I know nobody who trusts Bulaga to stay healthy for 16 games (or more, potentially).
Honestly, Spriggs wasn't great even as a backup, and now he's hurt...so I understand moving on from him. 3+ years in, I think Gute et al., know what they have. Cutting him frees up more snaps/opportunities for others to develop and be the backup.

RashanGary
08-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Well, Light and De Beer pretty much sealed Spriggs fate. He’ll never wear a packer uniform again.

mraynrand
08-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Well, Light and De Beer pretty much sealed Spriggs fate. He’ll never wear a packer uniform again.

There’s always Halloween.