PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone 'splain This One?

The Shadow
08-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Could the Packers just list one or two of their offensive linemen as Tight Ends? You know, when that Tackle comes in for certain short yardage situations & has to report to the ref as a "designated eligible"? I have seen times when the offense draws a flag for failing to report. By doing this, the guy would never have to report, thus eliminating the mistake.

bobblehead
08-12-2019, 12:29 PM
They would also need to give him an eligible number...which in turn would require him to report eligible to play the OL any time he lined up as an OL.

edit: Truth be told, I'm not even sure you are allowed to lineup ineligible with an eligible number. But the gist is the same. It has to do with the number worn and one way or the other if you line up as both OL and/or TE at times you have reporting issues.

pbmax
08-12-2019, 12:43 PM
I want this to happen, but let's be honest. It would be a 35 minute booth review.

mraynrand
08-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Why have any reporting at all?* If the defense and the refs can't figure it out, too bad for them.

*Also, famous last words from the Urinal Scented.

pbmax
08-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Why have any reporting at all?* If the defense and the refs can't figure it out, too bad for them.

Who did the Patriots do this to? Was it the Ravens? Man was Harbaugh made about that one. Think they went to the League about reporting requirements.

mraynrand
08-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Who did the Patriots do this to? Was it the Ravens? Man was Harbaugh made about that one. Think they went to the League about reporting requirements.

I remember it was the Ravens. But didn't the Ravens do a bunch of sketchy stuff too last year with three TEs?

pbmax
08-12-2019, 05:11 PM
I remember it was the Ravens. But didn't the Ravens do a bunch of sketchy stuff too last year with three TEs?

Yeah, something. I thought it was the clock and late substitutions though. Little scamps.

mraynrand
08-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Yeah, something. I thought it was the clock and late substitutions though. Little scamps.

Here's what I was thinking about. Did not read it*:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/10/1/17922248/ravens-tricked-steelers-maxx-williams-formation-illegal

*yep, I remember seeing this live

For entertainment, here's Belichick getting out-witted as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3nohBw_CE

George Cumby
08-12-2019, 06:15 PM
^ omg.

The nostalgia. From what dark recess of your mind did you dredge that?

MadScientist
08-12-2019, 06:16 PM

The Pats split an ineligible receiver wide. Both the refs and the defense had trouble figuring things out due to late reporting. The numbers are supposed to tell the teams who can catch the ball, and doing so saves arguments with the refs and makes the game run better. The NFL banned splitting an ineligible receiver wide after that year.

MadScientist
08-12-2019, 06:16 PM
^ omg.

The nostalgia. From what dark recess of your mind did you dredge that?

You seriously want to know that?

George Cumby
08-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Yeah. No.