PDA

View Full Version : Quote the Raven ...

Radagast
08-14-2019, 11:22 AM
Nevermore?

In this case I think not. GB's starting Offense is scheduled to start/play in the 1st qtr of this 2nd preseason game. Rodgers too is expected to take the field. IMO, is done with care it can be a good way to get the #1s some game time with the new LaFleur Offense. At the same time, getting in some quality field time helps to shake off some of the offseason "rust".

Also, I'll be watching play by the ILBs/OLBs closely. The Safety position also draws my interest.On offense, OT Alex Light will get my attention as well. In addition, from the start to the end I'll be looking at the full Offensive Line play and (if I can ) try to keep up with who is on the field playing and who is just Packer ready.

The Ravens, at home, in Baltimore, at this time of the year means humidity (even at night). Fluids will need to be a prime concern and muscle cramping could occur for both teams.

I expect to see the Packers work very hard on establishing to running attack in this preseason scrimmage workout. Rodgers safety will be a concern, but I expect to see him in 2 series and put up 7 passes for 6 completions and 1 TD throw. Between Kizer and Boyle, I expect the competition to heat up, with Boyle emerging on top with the better stats.

I've never seen a Raven with any feathers, but we may just see one following this "game".

:pack:

mraynrand
08-14-2019, 05:37 PM
I'm interested in seeing Raven Greene vs. The Guided Missile™ and who gets more snaps. Also Crawford vs. 'Michael' Bolton ought to be good.

Radagast
08-15-2019, 10:33 AM
I'm interested in seeing Raven Greene vs. The Guided Missileā„¢ and who gets more snaps. Also Crawford vs. 'Michael' Bolton ought to be good.

To begin with, Strong Safety (SS) Raven Greene (#36) will likely see some playing time vs the Ravens in the Packers 2nd preseason game in Baltimore. That said. (SS) Darnell Savage JR. (#26) should also see a fair amount of action as well. This type of competition, IMO (in my opinion) is a good thing provided neither sustains any injuries. [Knock on Wood.]

As for the competition at the Left Inside Linebacker (LILB) position, #54 Crawford and # 40 Bolton will also compete with #44 Summers for the Coaches attention. I see Summers starting the game and playing into the 2nd qtr. before either Crawford or Bolton get their chance impress.

Yes players will be playing for their jobs, so even though it's a schrimage contest, they will ge going 100% at all times.

Along with focusing on Offensive Tackle (OT) Alex Light, my strongest interest will focused on the Packer running game and especially the blocking of the Offensive Linemen and the Tight Ends (TE).

:pack:

mraynrand
08-15-2019, 10:53 AM
To begin with, Strong Safety (SS) Raven Greene (#36) will likely see some playing time vs the Ravens in the Packers 2nd preseason game in Baltimore. That said. (SS) Darnell Savage JR. (#26) should also see a fair amount of action as well. This type of competition, IMO (in my opinion) is a good thing provided neither sustains any injuries.

I doubt this will be competitive. Unless he falls on his face, The Missile will be the starter.

As for the competition at the Left Inside Linebacker (LILB) position, #54 Crawford and # 40 Bolton will also compete with #44 Summers for the Coaches attention. I see Summers starting the game and playing into the 2nd qtr. before either Crawford or Bolton get their chance impress.

Summers is in the depth chart behind Martinez. He'll have to show a lot to take the other spot, as Crawford and Bolton are smaller and presumably faster, though I guess there is no 40 time on Crawford from his pro day due to 'injury' Bolton is in the 220-230 range and they say his 40 time would have been sixth and shuttle 3rd at the combine. Probably should be for a smaller guy. With Burks out hurt(pectoral)/useless(wist), he might be your guy, except that he's a rook. We'll see. Should be just one inside LB in there most of the time (nickel is base) - prob Marinez on early downs and ??? on third down.

Radagast
08-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Darnell "The guided missile" Savage Jr., as some have tried to label him, is still a rookie at this level. Even a College program like Maryland, as fine as they are, is not at the pro level of play. Savage may have shined above his counterparts on the college level, but now his competition will be as good or better than he has ever seen. Raw skill alone will not give him an edge at the pro level. That said, if he is coachable and applies that coaching, he may succeed in spite of his size. At 5'11' and only 198 lbs., larger and heavier players could out strength him or simply out reach him. I realise that other small players have succeeded at the position due to great jumping skill or some other asset (like extra long arms or huge hands). I totally wish him all the best and would be very pleased if he succeeds, yet I fear that he will get crunched at some point and loose his greatest asset, his speed.

Raven Greene is also on the small side IMO. I know that a Safety is often called upon to have the speed to catch up to or run down a play. Raw speed is indeed a most valuable and necessary primary skill to have. Yet just speed does not a great Strong Safety make. here must be an ability quickly understand the plays being run and his responsibilities as a key defensive player. Lets all hope that Savage and Amos and Greene and Jones will make a strong force at Safety for the Packers.

Again as game time draws near, it should be remembered that Baltimore at this time of the year can be a very humid place and fluids may well play a greater role in this game than some know. Cramping and other fluid issues could become a factor in this preseason scrimmage..

:cow:

mraynrand
08-15-2019, 12:36 PM
Darnell "The guided missile" Savage Jr., as some have tried to label him, is still a rookie at this level.

The Guided Missile™

Don't forget the trademark. I get a quarter every time someone uses it.

texaspackerbacker
08-15-2019, 12:40 PM
I think we will see Savage and Amos start and play most or all of the first quarter. Greene was damn good last week and probably will get more total snaps than the first stringers. It's a big question mark who will play in the base with Martinez for the first quarter. I'll go with Bolton - mainly due to the differentiation of the two ILB spots Rand mentioned. Then Summers and Bolton for most of the game with Crawford only getting in late.

On offense, I'd be very surprised if we see the first stringers for more than one series. The idea of getting used to the "new" system is overrated - partly because the "newness" is overrated and partly because they aren't gonna put much on film for other teams to look at anyway, not to mention the injury possibility against a tough defensive team. In the O Line, we either have 5 decent starters with 6 or 7 decent quality fairly equal guys vying for 3 or 4 back up spots, or we have mediocre starters with 6 or 7 stumblebums vying for those back up spots - depending on your point of view. I tend to lean toward the latter.

What I'm looking forward to the most is seeing more snaps for the higher level WRs with Kizer and Boyle throwing to them.

Radagast
08-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Tex ?
All this time and you have still not done your homework. This as yet "unnamed" new offensive system runs both pass and multiple run plays from the same offensive set. It is part of the reason for it's growing popularity. Also, with good hand signaling/voice signals/ winks/head bobs/ etc a play can instantly go from a run to a pass or vice versa.
In addition, in case you failed to notice, the Packers have been visibly increasing the number of RBs and FBs on the roster. It dovetails with the expected increase in running plays that we can expect to see this season. It does not mean that they will be taking away your "big pass plays". Actually, increasing production on ground may also translate into more passing yards as well. Moreover, if the Packer Defense is as good as I believe it will be this season, them 3 and outs as turnovers could put the ball in possession of GB like we have not seen for many years.
So Tex when the running attack bandwagon circles back around to you again, you will still be welcome to climb aboard. Bring your own Crow to eat though as the rest of us will be full of delicious Bratwurst ,Sauerkraut and Cold Beer. :-)

texaspackerbacker
08-15-2019, 10:47 PM
3 RBs and 1 fullback is "visibly increasing"?

I don't doubt there will be a few subtle changes. Most teams including Packers in previous years have used nonverbal communications. A little bit more motion and some creative pass routes also may be coming - not much yet, as I said, they aren't putting too much on display for other teams. None of that will be all that big a deal, though, and any of ya'all holding your breath waiting are gonna get pretty blue in the face hahahahaha.

I say again, a run-first offense would be horribly stupid for the Packers, and I'm pretty sure LaFleur is very well aware of that. The other issue some are making a big deal of in here - stupidly IMO - is Aaron Rodgers taking his time and not putting it up for grabs with quick passes. Two games now, and even without Rodgers' accuracy and with mediocre O Line blocking against a couple of really good defenses, the Packers have had no interceptions. I've actually read some bonehead stupid comments that not throwing pics shouldn't be all that high a priority - go figure where that idiocy comes from.

What I've seen is Kizer and Boyle doing pretty good Aaron Rodgers imitations in terms of mobility and carefulness. We should actually see more "big plays", not less, as last year had a shortage of them, and our receiving corps should be better suited to deep passes this season.

About the only thing you got right, Radagast, is that the Packers D should be a whole lot better.

The main thing more balance between run and pass would indicate is the Packers getting a big lead. Even there, though, hopefully LaFleur will differ from McCarthy's tendency to go to a playing not to lose i.e. run the ball too much too early in the game.