PDA

View Full Version : Josh Jones Released

pbmax
08-25-2019, 07:46 AM
@AdamSchefter
Packers are releasing former 2nd-round pick safety Josh Jones today, per source.

No joy here. High draft pick, great physical skills. Lowers the team's overall ceiling on D. Drafting Savage AND signing Amos might have made this contretemps inevitable.

Boo. Addition by subtraction is real, but it doesn't build a winning team.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 07:55 AM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI

When I talked to Jones in June, he said: "Listen, I’m here. However the coaches perceive you, however the personnel (department) perceive(s) you, they drafted you so that’s what you’ve got to live with for the time being.” For the time being ended today.

mraynrand
08-25-2019, 08:13 AM
The inevitable finally happened. Shame they couldn’t get anything for him. Next/eventual stop, NE?

Fritz
08-25-2019, 08:31 AM
@AdamSchefter
Packers are releasing former 2nd-round pick safety Josh Jones today, per source.

No joy here. High draft pick, great physical skills. Lowers the team's overall ceiling on D. Drafting Savage AND signing Amos might have made this contretemps inevitable.

I certainly hoped he would work out, just as I did with Spriggs. I am sad that Thompson's last three or so years seemed to demonstrate that he'd lost his edge, and I'd hoped his reputation could be somewhat redeemed with Josh Jones and Jason Spriggs.

But alas, no. It did seem to me that Jones had a poor attitude - for a guy who had proved nothing, he seemed awfully demanding. So I am glad they've finally dumped him. He did not seem to take to instruction.

I'm guessing the Lions, who still have defensive backfield concerns, will follow up the Mike Daniels signing with this one.

Iron Mike
08-25-2019, 08:58 AM
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/25/dolphins-should-inspect-recently-cut-green-bay-defender-josh-jones/

Joemailman
08-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Million dollar body. Ten cent mind. Physically, was perfectly suited for the hybrid S/ILB role so prevalent in the NFL. Yet he made it clear earlier this year that he didn't want to play LB. Might not have mattered though as I'm not sure he had the mental capacity to master any role in an NFL defense.

Did I mention that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent?

texaspackerbacker
08-25-2019, 09:04 AM
It was inevitable. His value with the Packers dropped to near nothing, and there aren't enough roster spots to keep somebody like that.

I don't wish him well - I almost never wish players well departing the Packers. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Jones does do well somewhere else.

RashanGary
08-25-2019, 09:14 AM
I’m glad he’s gone. I think he’ll be bad wherever he goes.

Zool
08-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Remember his rookie training camp when he was all over the field making plays? Good bye Jacob, we hardly knew ya.

RashanGary
08-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Remember his rookie training camp when he was all over the field making plays? Good bye Jacob, we hardly knew ya.

Josh Janis was 220 pounds and ran 4.39! A legend in shorts!!

Bretsky
08-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Josh Janis was 220 pounds and ran 4.39! A legend in shorts!!

Dude just made everybody around him better :)))

Joemailman
08-25-2019, 09:38 AM

Everybody on the other team.

Fritz
08-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI

When I talked to Jones in June, he said: "Listen, I’m here. However the coaches perceive you, however the personnel (department) perceive(s) you, they drafted you so that’s what you’ve got to live with for the time being.” For the time being ended today.

Well, now we know what that "mystery illness" was that kept him out of practice.

He was sick of being a Green Bay Packer.

bobblehead
08-25-2019, 10:25 AM
https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/25/dolphins-should-inspect-recently-cut-green-bay-defender-josh-jones/

I love reporting that doesn't do any research. They think they should explore him because he is ideal for the Hybrid LB/S role. HE DOESN'T WANT TO DO IT!!!

The tragedy here is the guy is not honest with himself. He will never be a safety and I blame MM for this one as well. Bouncing him back and forth between true safety and hybrid and not holding him accountable for being a shitty safety. Early on he excelled as a hybrid. Its his natural position and what we drafted him for. If he is too dumb to realize he will never be a safety in the NFL its on him.

esoxx
08-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Color me shocked.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 12:51 PM

I think he got Damrious Randall fired, basically.

In a way Josh Jones is responsible for DeShone Kizer.

Patler
08-25-2019, 01:06 PM
I think he got Damrious Randall fired, basically.

In a way Josh Jones is responsible for DeShone Kizer.

In a way, yes. Interesting bit of reasoning.
In retrospect, maybe Jones should have been dumped first, and Randall kept.

Rutnstrut
08-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Now to get rid of Kizer and most of the trash will be taken out.

red
08-25-2019, 01:41 PM
You knew the guy was done when he couldn’t get on the field last year with all the problems we had at safety

I’m guessing the new coach wanted to make sure he was completely worthless before releasing him

Patler
08-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Remember his rookie training camp when he was all over the field making plays?

You knew the guy was done when he couldn’t get on the field last year with all the problems we had at safety

There was some excitement about him in his rookie camp, and early first training camp. He "flashed". Then, the word got out that he didn't know his assignments and couldn't be trusted, so he played little. Yet, the comments from him often referred to not being given opportunities a second round pick should be given. In one form or another, his comments continued. He sounded entitled.

Came across to me like one of those athletes who had such exceptional physical skills that he got by on that alone, without putting in the work on the mental aspects. That works for very few at the professional level

Fritz
08-25-2019, 03:16 PM
He sounds like a Raider to me.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 04:05 PM
He sounds like a Raider to me.

Probably.

But you know it’s gotten bad on the player acquisition side when Randall has a better handle on your roster than the GM.

Accountability problem might have been the front office.

mraynrand
08-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I think he got Damrious Randall fired, basically..

Can you walk me through this one?

Patler
08-25-2019, 04:40 PM
Probably.

But you know it’s gotten bad on the player acquisition side when Randall has a better handle on your roster than the GM.

Accountability problem might have been the front office.

"might have been" or "is"?

Gutekunst shoulders much of the blame. Yes, Thompson is responsible for the draft pick, but after Randall complained at the end of Jones rookie season, Gutekunst made the decision to get rid of Randall and keep Jones.

gbgary
08-25-2019, 04:48 PM
mehst have given up trying to trade him. oh well.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 05:05 PM
Can you walk me through this one?

One of Randall’s issues was accountability, or the lack thereof, on defense.

I can’t directly tie the two together but reporting at the time suggested that Randall felt that blame was being assigned to all defenders before Jones was called to account.

We know one play he notoriously jumped a short route pump fake in the red zone and allowed a seam TD. And another TD that looked like Randall’s fault until you broke down the coverage and saw Jones pass on covering the player deep.

Randall also had the sideline blowup and then made the charge at the end of the season about accountability with Martinez chiming in to agree. It was obvious to the beat guys that one target of the rant was Jones.

Martinez wisely backed off but Randall didn’t and he was shipped off in the offseason for Kizer as you know.

Matthews and Clark later confirmed that lack of accountability was an issue and they were glad Petrine was there to set it right. And he never played Jones. The front office has now conceded that Jones refused to do the job asked of him.

Which puts them in the awkward position of hampering a former DC in staffing his Defense properly (Capers).

Also possibly that Petrine refuses to soft pedal the position change with carrots about also playing a traditional spot.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 05:06 PM
mehst have given up ...

Get out of the Packer forum Jar Jar.

Iron Mike
08-25-2019, 05:19 PM
Too bad we couldn't have traded him for Kiko Alonso....

Strange Brew
08-25-2019, 05:20 PM
We really know how to pick them.

gbgary
08-25-2019, 05:57 PM
Get out of the Packer forum Jar Jar.

as in binks? never saw it. no idea how he/she/it spoke. meh is the root-word my post.

mraynrand
08-25-2019, 06:12 PM
as in binks? never saw it. no idea how he/she/it spoke. meh is the root-word my post.

yousah lucky. meesah wish remove from memory.

mraynrand
08-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Randall also had the sideline blowup and then made the charge at the end of the season about accountability with Martinez chiming in to agree. It was obvious to the beat guys that one target of the rant was Jones.

I either didn't know this or forgot. FWIW, Randall now has blue hair, the color of raspberry Slush Puppie™

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-LUEVKlPcHGk%2FThGlE-GM3NI%2FAAAAAAAABTk%2F-Gtqg_kWlLU%2Fs1600%2FSlush%252BPuppie%252BBlue%252 BSmurf%252BPromo%252B2011%252BCup%252BFINAL%252Bwe b.jpg&f=1

pbmax
08-25-2019, 06:35 PM
^ At this point I full expect him to land in a Pro Bowl.

Zool
08-25-2019, 06:42 PM

Imagine a man sized frog with dog ears spoke with a stilted Jamaican-ish accent. Now imagine that’s supposed to be comic relief.

MadScientist
08-25-2019, 06:53 PM
@AdamSchefter

Removing Jones doesn't make the Packers better. Having better players so they can remove Jones does make them better.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Imagine a man sized frog with dog ears spoke with a stilted Jamaican-ish accent. Now imagine that’s supposed to be comic relief.

For the kids.

pbmax
08-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Removing Jones doesn't make the Packers better. Having better players so they can remove Jones does make them better.

If you view him as a pure safety, then Savage probably makes you better long term. Amos does now but won't last as long.

However, Jones was meant to be new Burnett, a tweener playing all over. Especially with Burks hurt, they don't have that on the roster.

Zool
08-25-2019, 07:08 PM
I guess it helps some other player get a check?

gbgary
08-25-2019, 07:31 PM

*facepalm*

gbgary
08-25-2019, 07:41 PM
If you view him as a pure safety, then Savage probably makes you better long term. Amos does now but won't last as long.

However, Jones was meant to be new Burnett, a tweener playing all over. Especially with Burks hurt, they don't have that on the roster.

burks is a tweener alright. somewhere tween kinda sucks and just shoot me.

pbmax
08-26-2019, 07:06 AM
*facepalm*

In some ways, almost more than Brett Favre, the Internet made its bones by making fun of Jar Jar.

pbmax
08-26-2019, 07:07 AM
burks is a tweener alright. somewhere tween kinda sucks and just shoot me.

I'd argue this but I have only seen him play three plays this year.

Fritz
08-26-2019, 11:27 AM
Think of the butterfly effect here . . . the Packers realize Jones just cannot or does not get his assignments. So they hold him accountable, cut his playing time, he complains, he's gone much sooner.

Damarious Randall is converted to safety. He's still a Packer.

Packers therefore either do not need to sign Amos or to draft Savage, thus gaining capital.

Kizer is not the backup.;

Cheesehead Craig
08-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Think of the butterfly effect here . . . the Packers realize Jones just cannot or does not get his assignments. So they hold him accountable, cut his playing time, he complains, he's gone much sooner.

Damarious Randall is converted to safety. He's still a Packer.

Packers therefore either do not need to sign Amos or to draft Savage, thus gaining capital.

Kizer is not the backup.;

I see where you're going here. Then we have more capital to trade up for Devin White and never have to take Gary.

Teamcheez1
08-27-2019, 07:58 AM
Jones cleared waivers as no team was willing to pick up his burdensome salary of $850k. The league minimum is only around $650k.
No wonder the Packers couldn't find a trade partner. No one wants this guy.

gbgary
08-27-2019, 10:04 AM
Jones cleared waivers as no team was willing to pick up his burdensome salary of $850k. The league minimum is only around $650k.
No wonder the Packers couldn't find a trade partner. No one wants this guy.

lol

pbmax
08-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Gutekunst on Josh Jones: "He might not have been the best fit. He's a talented player. It just came to a point where it was time."

@BillHuberSI Gutekunst says Josh Jones might not have been the best fit. And that includes fitting "the organization as a whole." Sees him having "bright" career.

Fritz
08-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Tom Silverstein
@TomSilverstein

Gutekunst on Josh Jones: "He might not have been the best fit. He's a talented player. It just came to a point where it was time."

@BillHuberSI Gutekunst says Josh Jones might not have been the best fit. And that includes fitting "the organization as a whole." Sees him having "bright" career.

Is this a passive/aggressive stab at Jones's seeming inability to understand what his defensive assignments were??

pbmax
08-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Man, Jones doesn't even have veteran vesting to worry about I wouldn't think. Brutal, but I expect him to get picked up soon.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-27-2019, 11:13 AM
In an alternate universe, Todd took TJ Watt in rd 1 and JuJu Smith-Schuster in rd 2.

Thanks Todd.

bobblehead
08-28-2019, 01:19 AM
I see where you're going here. Then we have more capital to trade up for Devin White and never have to take Gary.

If we don't take Gary I never spit my beer on my good friend. My friend in turn doesn't have to drive home with his wet shirt in the back seat thus getting pulled over by a cop wondering wtf! My friend gets heated over cops attitude and is shot dead!!!

Basically Josh Jones killed my friend.

mraynrand
08-28-2019, 09:45 AM
If we don't take Gary I never spit my beer on my good friend. My friend in turn doesn't have to drive home with his wet shirt in the back seat thus getting pulled over by a cop wondering wtf! My friend gets heated over cops attitude and is shot dead!!!

I believe you

gbgary
08-28-2019, 10:40 AM

LOL *made me spit my beer*

Joemailman
08-28-2019, 06:45 PM
Man, Jones doesn't even have veteran vesting to worry about I wouldn't think. Brutal, but I expect him to get picked up soon.

His problem is he has publicly said he doesn't want to play the position he's best at.

Teamcheez1
08-28-2019, 08:14 PM
The Packers get a conditional 7th round pick for an injured Reggie Gilbert, and Josh Jones is worth nothing.
Haven't seen the schedule for all the teams waiting to give him a tryout.
Teams are more interested in players getting cut this weekend.

bobblehead
08-28-2019, 08:33 PM
LOL *made me spit my beer*

The only part of the story that was true. I almost choked when they announced Gary.