PDA

View Full Version : Why the Packers offense is going to outperform expectations:

RashanGary
08-31-2019, 04:33 PM
David Bakhtiari 27 years old 90 starts

Lane Taylor 29 years old 47 starts

Corey Linsley 28 years old 70 starts

Billy Turner 27 years old 25 starts

Bryan Bulaga 30 years old 95 starts

A whole group of 5 guys either in the middle of the prime of their career or still at the tail end of their prime. All have had healthy full off seasons of work. All 5 have worked next to each other the whole off season. Combine that with QB1, and a rookie head coach couldn’t ask for a more capable, intelligent bunch to execute his gameplans and make up for some mistakes even.

Adams/Graham/Allison - All three of these guys are QB1 favorites. Rodgers is at his best when he has guys he can trust. At least out of the gate this year, he does.

MVS - AR has called him the most improved player from last year. He’s talked about his improved practice habits. And this is one where I paid close attention to at practice. I do think MVS is a rising star. His size/speed and route running are all off the charts. AR and him are on the same page. This guy takes the top off the defense.

Aaron Jones - dinged up a little through camp, but in the best shape of his life and a great fit for lafleurs wide outside zone scheme

Everything has fallen into place perfectly. I expect this offense to out perform expectations right out of the gate because the OL and QB cohesion insures that the usual confusion does not happen here.

texaspackerbacker
08-31-2019, 04:44 PM
I still say it will be a GREAT season in spite of - not because of - the O Line.

The huge improvement will be on the defensive side of the ball. Rodgers, of course, will have a great year, assuming he stays healthy. His receivers are excellent. The running game will be better and used very slightly more, but for the most part, THANKFULLY, the Packers will still be a Pass First offense. Will the offense "outperform" expectations? It just depends on what the expectations are. For everybody who is inexplicably negative, hell yeah, the offense will greatly outperform their expectations.

Upnorth
09-01-2019, 09:40 AM
I think when healthy we have an amazing pass blocking line. So at least 1/2 to 3/4 of a game.
I also expect a big jump at wr. I did at d, but am more skeptical after the preseason, perhaps mostly due to the gary build up then let down.

Joemailman
09-01-2019, 09:49 AM
It will be interesting. Packers will be running a completely different offense with mostly the same starters.( Vitale and MVS are new). They will be running the same defense as last year with as many as 6 new starters.

My biggest short-term concern on offense is with the running game. Installing the outside zone system with top 2 RB's missing much of training camp with injuries. Biggest concern on defense is whether they have a legit ILB other than Martinez, and how that will affect their ability to stop the run.

Vincenzo
09-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Gotta like your optimism! We still have Rodgers who is arguably the best QB in the league. Go Pack Go.

bobblehead
09-01-2019, 12:36 PM
When the season began I said we had too many holes to fill in a year. Gutes did exceed my expectations by signing 4 starters in FA. I also like the depth he brought in at WR. We still however have a gaping hole at RB after Jones, and Jones hasn't played 16 games yet. We should be better, but the idea that M4 can have a good running game will depend wholly on Jones health.

RashanGary
09-01-2019, 12:53 PM
When the season began I said we had too many holes to fill in a year. Gutes did exceed my expectations by signing 4 starters in FA. I also like the depth he brought in at WR. We still however have a gaping hole at RB after Jones, and Jones hasn't played 16 games yet. We should be better, but the idea that M4 can have a good running game will depend wholly on Jones health.

It’s hard to keep 15 years of data straight, but weren’t you the guy who used to swear it was the OL and not the RB that created the run game? Obviously opinions change over years, but do I remember that right?

gbgary
09-01-2019, 01:41 PM
i expect the O numbers to be about what they were last year. no dramatic jump either way.

TravisWilliams23
09-01-2019, 03:44 PM
I always worry about the lack of playing time for the starters in the pre-season games. New coach, new scheme screams playing time to get on the same page.
I look for a slow start but feel the new system will eventually have the o rolling by seasons end.

red
09-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Why they will exceed expectations?

Probably because stubby set the bar so low the last few years that we have almost nowhere to go but up

Hell, I’m blown away just by the idea that you don’t have to defer to the second half when you win the toss

red
09-01-2019, 06:05 PM
I always worry about the lack of playing time for the starters in the pre-season games. New coach, new scheme screams playing time to get on the same page.
I look for a slow start but feel the new system will eventually have the o rolling by seasons end.

I think the spoiled vet players managed to talk the new kid coach into them not playing at all in the pre season

Even though we always start out slow on offense, and no one ever learned

pbmax
09-01-2019, 06:26 PM
I think the spoiled vet players managed to talk the new kid coach into them not playing at all in the pre season

Everyone is doing this now. Its not just the Packer players.

Joemailman
09-01-2019, 07:43 PM

I'm sure you've done a lot of research. Do your records actually show that teams that play their starters more in the preseason outperform those that don't?

mraynrand
09-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Some are still stuck in the antiquated view of the NFL preseason as though these guys are offseason insurance and shoe polish salesmen who need six weeks to get into ball playing shape. Those days were long gone 20 years ago. Every player who wants to be on the final 53 is working out and prepping all offseason. No one needs a couple of months to get into playing shape. Football is a collision sport, and the more collisions, the higher chance of injury. So coaches are smartly reducing the number of collisions. Some may need some snaps to get the knack, but certainly not seasoned veterans. And in spy-vs-spy mode, if the other teams are protecting veterans/starters, and it works, you better keep up.

RashanGary
09-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Well said, mraynrand. Just the 15 years since we’ve all been talking football, it’s a different league. The days of Clitoris Cunt and Johnny Jolly selling weed in the offseason and drinking sizzurp are gone. Guys who don’t come in, in shape, they don’t exist anymore. Used to be a guy could play till he was 28-29 years old just playing his way back into shape during 2 a days.

With the new CBA restrictions, the onus is now on the Players to have themselves ready. And with that, preseason is less important.