PDA

View Full Version : Best article I’ve read all offseason!

RashanGary
09-03-2019, 03:22 PM
https://amp-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/02/nfl-super-bowl-50-gary-kubiak-peyton-manning?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQEKAFwAQ%3D%3D#aoh=15675394553918&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fmmqb%2F2016%2F 02%2F02%2Fnfl-super-bowl-50-gary-kubiak-peyton-manning

WOW!! This is what we’re going through right now!

Cheesehead Craig
09-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Kubiak is with the Vikes. So you're saying Cousins is going to blow up this season. What a ray of sunshine you are.

mraynrand
09-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Kubiak is with the Vikes. So you're saying Cousins is going to blow up this season. What a ray of sunshine you are.

Huge, if true.

Tony Oday
09-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Cousins will never do well in MN, there is no offensive line there.

RashanGary
09-03-2019, 04:24 PM
It’s the same thing. Shanahan offenses meet veteran head strong, audible-centric quarterbacks who play out of the shotgun formation.

Manning eventually bent to the system and won a SB. Will Rodgers?

RashanGary
09-03-2019, 04:26 PM
It’s the meshing of two completely different offensive philosophies and how those guys worked it out.

pbmax
09-03-2019, 05:49 PM
It’s the meshing of two completely different offensive philosophies and how those guys worked it out.

Does Aaron Rodgers have a deteriorating neck and nerve muscle injury I am not aware of? Plus a new foot injury?

It was a tremendous job of coaching to get that anemic an offense to the Super Bowl. But the best out of Peyton Manning? Maybe the limited Manning of his last four years.

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Even in his prime, Manning didn't have remotely close to the mobility Rodgers has.

pbmax
09-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Even in his prime, Manning didn't have remotely close to the mobility Rodgers has.

I mean, they basically brought Kubiak back to help them save Manning because he was physically falling apart.

texaspackerbacker
09-03-2019, 08:01 PM
True, and Rodgers is not. Manning got that way - in addition to bad luck - because he was not mobile like Rodgers - that's what I mean.

gbgary
09-04-2019, 10:33 PM

in mannings last four years he was sacked 72 times...rodgers 152. the most he was ever sacked...29. rodgers...51. rodgers has been sacked 50+ times twice (1 w/49 and 1w/48 also). mannings lack of mobility didn't cost him a thing.

pbmax
09-04-2019, 10:39 PM
in mannings last four years he was sacked 72 times...rodgers 152. the most he was ever sacked...29. rodgers...51. rodgers has been sacked 50+ times twice. mannings lack of mobility didn't cost him a thing.

Except his neck, his nerve and arm strength.

gbgary
09-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Except his neck, his nerve and arm strength.

ok that lol...but the point is he got the ball out quick.

pbmax
09-04-2019, 10:51 PM
ok that lol...but the point is he got the ball out quick.

He did. Also threw a bunch more picks. But he was even better at scoring.

RashanGary
09-05-2019, 04:06 AM
Will MLF scrap his whole philosophy (pace/play sequence/outside zone) in favor of (slowing the pace with more checks/audibles instead of play sequence/take what AR sees instead of establishing an outside zone identity)

Will AR buy into the Lafleur offense?

That’s what the article was about with Manning and Kubiak and that was the comparison I thought would be obvious here.

mraynrand
09-05-2019, 06:40 AM
Will MLF scrap his whole philosophy (pace/play sequence/outside zone) in favor of (slowing the pace with more checks/audibles instead of play sequence/take what AR sees instead of establishing an outside zone identity)

That’s what the article was about with Manning and Kubiak and that was the comparison I thought would be obvious here.

What’s troubling is that the way it’s described in the old article you posted is that the Kubiak offense is designed for physically limited QBs. For Manning it was even more limited I believe because they didn’t boot him much. A good offense for a Brian Griese. Also a good offense for a mentally less agile QG. Rodgers isn’t that limited yet physically and has a ‘fantastic brain’.

So do they run a schizophrenic offense? Some plays or drives under center with the Kub-O and then other drives with the read and audible that is suited for an on field Jeopardy Genius like Rodgers? Tune in tonight to find out! NBC should have Alex Trebek in the booth...

pbmax
09-05-2019, 07:19 AM
He did. Also threw a bunch more picks. But he was even better at scoring.

An interesting difference, is that Manning would just fall into a heap if the sacker had him dead to rights. Rodgers will move almost no matter what.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 07:26 AM

I think that is the basic question, yes. Manning did eventually buy in when what he ran didn't work for him anymore. But even that offense was severely limited and was developed with Osweiler starting.

The defense won them that Championship.

To me I expect an amalgam of La Fleur and Rodgers offense and some struggles early. Just natural. M4 has said they will keep concepts Rodgers likes. What I am hoping for is an emerging new Packers offense in the second half of the season. I want some adjustments. That would be proof that is a learning head coach and QB.

Cheesehead Craig
09-05-2019, 07:41 AM

The problem with your comparison is that Kubiak has brought out the best in his QBs wherever he has gone. I believe that he's the difference vs the system. So I'm not fully sold on the LaFleur system yet, even if it's based on similar philosophies. Will need to see it first, like all new systems. It's the argument about BB's assistants getting HC gigs and trying to implement the BB way wherever they go. They cannot replicate the success simply because they are not BB and they fail. I'm not saying that's going to happen here, but arguing that a system is going to work here because someone else did it elsewhere is faulty.

RashanGary
09-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Pb and cheesehead Craig, I do concede that there is so much to be determined and football has so many variables it would be near impossible to predict what will come.

I do think it’s a valid concern and a possibility that these two struggle to find a common ground that works. There is even a possibility that these two find a common ground that’s better than any shanahan offense we’ve seen. Even just for curiousities sake, it’s worth watching this season unfold.

Cheesehead Craig
09-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Pb and cheesehead Craig, I do concede that there is so much to be determined and football has so many variables it would be near impossible to predict what will come.

I do think it’s a valid concern and a possibility that these two struggle to find a common ground that works. There is even a possibility that these two find a common ground that’s better than any shanahan offense we’ve seen. Even just for curiousities sake, it’s worth watching this season unfold.

I totally get where you're coming from. I didn't mean to piss in your corn flakes too much. I do appreciate your optimism though. I'm really hoping things work out as you believe they will. Keep on keeping on my friend.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:50 AM
Oh, I agree that its far from conclusive that this works. But there are more variables than just audibles or not. Most NFL coaches are not Mike McCarthy, they are worse and more stubborn. We could get burnt by either end of this negotiation.

What is the saying that Generals are fond of saying, is it "guided by events on the ground?"

In one of football's many paradoxes, you need a great plan and then be ready to alter that plan based on events on the ground.