PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 1 @ Chicago

pbmax
09-05-2019, 05:29 PM
I can't believe even he got hurt!

red
09-05-2019, 06:08 PM
WTF?

the game hasn't even started yet, how do we already have this thread???????????????

bobblehead
09-05-2019, 06:14 PM
I would just like to say that even though we still didn't run as much as I would like at least it was effective and we got away with a win!

pbmax
09-05-2019, 06:40 PM
I would just like to say that even though we still didn't run as much as I would like at least it was effective and we got away with a win!

Concur. Wasn't pretty but effective enough.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Banjo baby. The best threads in this joint.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 10:43 PM
I can't believe even he got hurt!

But I am glad that King, Jones and Adams came back in to play.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2019, 10:44 PM
http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/kAq6HQVQmK5WM/giphy.gif

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2019, 10:44 PM
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1169814726580350978

That's going to do it. Preston Smith was awesome tonight. Adrian Amos was awesome tonight. Za'Darius Smith was awesome tonight. Darnell Savage was awesome tonight. Brian Gutekunst looks like a genius.

Yep. This D looks really good. If Gary can become a quality contributor, watch out. The Bears are really darn good in my opinion.

The weak players this week were Tramon Williams (Is age finally catching up with him?), Lane Taylor (He stinks), and arguably Aaron Rodgers. Assuming ARod can be fixed and play well, the Packers only real hole after week one is left guard. That's why I think they could be a super bowl team if Rodgers plays to his potential.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2019, 10:46 PM
The weak players this week were Tramon Williams (Is age finally catching up with him?)
I thought age caught him last year. Really surprised he came back.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2019, 10:49 PM
The other two thoughts I had:

The Packers offense did look quite a bit different but the results were still largely the same as they've been. Lots of motion, end arounds, etc etc.

Matt LaFleur looked like he belonged. After the world's worst introductory press conference, I do think he has dramatically increased in confidence and at least looks/sounds the part now.

JK Scott looks like a nerdy teenager.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 10:49 PM
red spotted that Tony Brown got the start at outside CB. King played in sub packages outside. Made some nice tackles. Brown struggled with balls thrown right over his head. Needs to get around to see the ball when playing outside.

Maybe you noticed too, but when they played zone short, the entire DB corp closed faster and tackled better than in the last several years. Will be valuable with a lead.

Pass rush is a revelation. Dr. Zaius had the best night but Clark and Lowry's Army got inside pressure and Preston Smith showed up late. There was some talk that before injury, Preston was the better Smith as a natural pass rusher, but the Doctor was better tonight.

Offense was a catastrophe with the exception of a couple of pass plays and run plays. Jones getting banged up on that later drive ruined the best O momentum they had other than the scoring drive.

They ran outside zone better to the left I think. But Lane Taylor had a tough night.

mraynrand
09-05-2019, 11:02 PM
Jones getting banged up on that later drive ruined the best O momentum they had other than the scoring drive.

That was too bad. They were really bringing it on that drive.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Sarah Kelliher @sarahkelliher4
Matt LaFleur is the first Packers coach to win his debut against the Bears since Vince Lombardi

Warren Sharp @SharpFootball
I don't want to astonish or disgust Bears fans, but GM Ryan Pace, ladies and gentlemen...
...by the numbers:

3: drafted the fewest players in the NFL over the past 3 yrs

4: has the 4th least 2020 cap space

5: didn't earn a single comp pick the last 5 yrs

WATCHING TRUBISKY MAKES THAT TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND LOOK EVEN DUMBER. MAHOMES WAS STILL THERE.

mraynrand
09-05-2019, 11:06 PM
The bomb to MVS was a called play

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Rodgers fesses up a bit. On the official account too.

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1169823356465451009

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:09 PM
The bomb to MVS was a called play

Good to hear. That was the kind of thing I was expecting. Run run run, play action deep down the middle.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-05-2019, 11:14 PM
I thought age caught him last year. Really surprised he came back.

Rather have an experienced vet of nfl wars in there like twill than an undrafted free agent young un like Gunter.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Jersey Al - GBP @JerseyAlGBP
Aaron Rodgers, "We've got a defense."

@billbarnwell
GENIE: So you're going to hold the Packers to 10 points and nobody's going to be talking about your kicker after the gam-
MATT NAGY: /signs agreement so hard his hand hurts

Head Coach PC
https://twitter.com/packers/status/1169819361114124288

Just remember, you saw a 3rd and 40.

Matt Schneidman
@mattschneidman
Aaron Rodgers held onto the ball after his last kneel down and gave it to Matt LaFleur after his first career win.

texaspackerbacker
09-05-2019, 11:24 PM
But I am glad that King, Jones and Adams came back in to play.

Did Jones come back after getting hurt? I don't recall seeing him. Was it his hand or what?

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Did Jones come back after getting hurt? I don't recall seeing him. Was it his hand or what?

Head or neck got bent back. he came back for final drive.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2019, 11:27 PM
https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1169823184297713665

Za'Darius Smith (7 QB pressures) led a
@Packers
pass rush that generated 19 total pressures on Trubisky tonight (38% pressure rate).

In their two meetings against the Bears last season, the Packers combined for only 9 TOTAL pressures.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-05-2019, 11:31 PM
Since LaFluer doesn't want Kum in the slot, they need to bench Allison and insert Davis there.

The fit, black guy at your local Y can do what Allison did tonight.

MVS missed most of the 2nd half for some reason, while Allison played the entire game. 0 catches.

call_me_ishmael
09-05-2019, 11:33 PM
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1169830188034613249

This was another huge play that'll get lost in the box score. Preston Smith/Rashan Gary break through and hit Trubisky as he's throwing this ball. If he has time and a clean pocket, it's *probably* a TD.

This was the key play by Gary. I read somewhere he only played 3 snaps. No idea if that's true or not. Not a good sign from a top 10 pick though.

pbmax
09-05-2019, 11:38 PM

This was the key play by Gary. I read somewhere he only played 3 snaps. No idea if that's true or not. Not a good sign from a top 10 pick though.

video: https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy/status/1169812439644495877

That is one thing I have seen Gary do well. TE stunt where he speeds to the middle gap.

Joemailman
09-05-2019, 11:53 PM
Sarah Kelliher @sarahkelliher4
Matt LaFleur is the first Packers coach to win his debut against the Bears since Vince Lombardi

Warren Sharp @SharpFootball
I don't want to astonish or disgust Bears fans, but GM Ryan Pace, ladies and gentlemen...
...by the numbers:

3: drafted the fewest players in the NFL over the past 3 yrs

4: has the 4th least 2020 cap space

5: didn't earn a single comp pick the last 5 yrs

WATCHING TRUBISKY MAKES THAT TRADE UP IN THE FIRST ROUND LOOK EVEN DUMBER. MAHOMES WAS STILL THERE.

That stare down on the INT was shocking. No wonder Packers had 3 defenders there.

mraynrand
09-05-2019, 11:55 PM
That stare down on the INT was shocking. No wonder Packers had 3 defenders there.

Amos called out that it was a "7 route" to Tramon and they had it totally covered.

mraynrand
09-05-2019, 11:56 PM
video: https://twitter.com/NFLFilmStudy/status/1169812439644495877

That is one thing I have seen Gary do well. TE stunt where he speeds to the middle gap.

yep. they put him in and had him play to his strength. That's good coaching.

mraynrand
09-05-2019, 11:56 PM
MVS missed most of the 2nd half for some reason, while Allison played the entire game. 0 catches.

MVS had cramps

Anti-Polar Bear
09-06-2019, 12:06 AM
MVS had cramps

Time to trade for A.B?

bobblehead
09-06-2019, 12:39 AM

That is cuz they are only putting him positions to succeed.....

Smidgeon
09-06-2019, 01:52 AM
The weak players this week were Tramon Williams (Is age finally catching up with him?)

Sure, he had two personal fouls (one I didn't agree with, but who cares), but he also had two super-savvy plays that saved the game. One where he pushed the WR out of bounds and didn't care about the ball (Al and Chris talked about that one at length). The second was far more important. He screened the WR which allowed Amos to make the pick. He kept the WR out of the play completely by using his body to "look" for the ball. That was exceptional. I was surprised after the commercial break that Nagy hadn't challenged that for PI. So good.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 03:47 AM
I didn’t notice that smidge. Good point. That was intentional for sure. Him and Amos knew that play was coming. I don’t think he knew the pick would happen but he did that to legally fuck up the WRs route for sure.

Can’t believe how savvy Williams is playing. Reminds me of C Wood.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 04:16 AM
Really impressed that Aaron Rodgers was able to stay calm and not panic or press or turn the ball over against such a great defense. 95% of quarterbacks would have. He just grinded.

I’m impressed in how MLF empowers and credits the TEAM! It’s not all about him.

I’m impressed with how committed AR seems to the pace and new philosophies.

The offense didn’t play great, but there was chemistry signs between those two very important guys on offense to the point that I don’t have long term worries anymore. Imma bout to become Tex #2

pbmax
09-06-2019, 07:09 AM
MVS had cramps

Can't tell if this is a report or a setup to hamstring joke later.

pbmax
09-06-2019, 07:13 AM
This rivalry has turned a little darker recently.

Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL
Packers cornerback Tramon Williams said. "We knew they had a lot of weapons, we knew they were dangerous, we knew all of those things. But we knew if we could make Mitch play quarterback, that we'd have a chance."

ThunderDan
09-06-2019, 07:18 AM
Gary took 6 defensive snaps per the NFL game summary.

pbmax
09-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Brad Biggs: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-cb-bears-packers-10-thoughts-brad-biggs-20190906-j6ezjxxgmfedfm7t3vbu2edkm4-story.html

Credit is due to the Packers, who reshaped their defense in the offseason with some bold moves in free agency, including a $36 million, four-year contract for former Bears safety Adrian Amos. Green Bay also made moves to bolster the front seven, signing outside linebackers Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith. But the Packers don’t have the 1985 Bears defense. Heck, they don’t have the 2019 Bears defense.

Looked pretty close to me.

Patler
09-06-2019, 07:35 AM

Good thing he wasn't a top 10 pick! :)

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Good thing he wasn't a top 10 pick! :)

lol

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2019, 07:41 AM
Really impressed that Aaron Rodgers was able to stay calm and not panic or press or turn the ball over against such a great defense. 95% of quarterbacks would have. He just grinded.

I’m impressed in how MLF empowers and credits the TEAM! It’s not all about him.

I’m impressed with how committed AR seems to the pace and new philosophies.

The offense didn’t play great, but there was chemistry signs between those two very important guys on offense to the point that I don’t have long term worries anymore. Imma bout to become Tex #2

You should - everybody with a lick of sense should.

There are some short memories around here. We played with pace a lot last season and before. As for being "committed to new philosophies", yeah, he did seem to be, but to me, that was the downside of the game. The offense woulda been a lot better if they hadn't run it into the butts of the O Linemen and wasted downs so much, and those quick passes, ughhhhh - risk of interceptions.

As for staying calm and not panicking and absolutely not turning it over, that's Aaron Rodgers - always has been/always will be, although I give the RBs and receivers some credit too for wrapping it up with both hands and not fumbling.

And R E L A X everybody about Gary. The reason he didn't play much is because the Smith boys are so damn good, not because of anything wrong with him, at least it's way to soon to conclude that.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 07:47 AM
You should - everybody with a lick of sense should.

There are some short memories around here. We played with pace a lot last season and before. As for being "committed to new philosophies", yeah, he did seem to be, but to me, that was the downside of the game. The offense woulda been a lot better if they hadn't run it into the butts of the O Linemen and wasted downs so much, and those quick passes, ughhhhh - risk of interceptions.

The longest play came off play-action, set up by commitment to run. Hopefully, their late running with Jones won't be just a fluke against a gassed defense and will be a weapon they can use to both gain chunks of yards and put defenses on their heels. If you noticed, even when Rodgers had decent protection, and held the ball longer, a lot of times, guys weren't coming open. But that may be the best defense they play all year.

pbmax
09-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Another look at the INT from the end zone camera. TV showed it but Matt Bowen gives it to us again.

https://twitter.com/MattBowen41/status/1169947593784401921

@MattBowen41
#Bears-#Packers: End zone angle on the Trubisky INT. Eyes are locked-in on the corner route. That puts S Adrian Amos in a position to break on the ball & overlap the route.
@NFLMatchup

pbmax
09-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Silver with a gamer and a focus on LaFleur.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001051490/article/matt-lafleur-wins-packers-debut-behind-stout-defense

On first-and-10 from the Packers' 26, LaFleur sent in a play with an alert designed to beat "quarters" coverage, with four defensive backs spread across the back of the formation: Rodgers faked an end-around to Adams, who raced behind the quarterback and across the field, causing Bears (and former Packers) safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to creep up toward the line. Tight end Marcedes Lewis ran a corner route to the left, occupying the other safety, Eddie Jackson, and leaving second-year receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling singled up with cornerback Prince Amukamara in the middle of the field. Rodgers saw it unfold and dutifully uncorked a long pass that Valdes-Scantling corralled for a 47-yard gain.

Three plays later, Rodgers did what he does best: Raced to the line, quick-snapped and caught the Bears with 12 men on the field, earning a free play. He then bought time and floated a high pass toward Graham near the right corner of the end zone, with teammate Geronimo Allison hovering behind him. Graham jumped and beasted safety Deon Bush to score the game's only touchdown.

pbmax
09-06-2019, 08:15 AM
"I noticed you ran pretty fast to get that challenge flag in front of the ref," said Bre LaFleur who must have pretty good eyes, given that she and 40-plus friends and family members watched the game from Section 446 -- in the upper northeast corner of the stadium, where tissues should be handed out to combat the inevitable nosebleeds.

Well, not everyone in the LaFleur party was watching.

"I watched the whole game," Denny LaFleur said. Then, gesturing toward his wife, he added: "That woman -- not so much. She had her head down most of the time."

"Yes," Kristi LaFleur conceded, "cause I felt like I was gonna blow up."

:lol:

I suspect blow up was not exactly the term she used there.

Fritz
09-06-2019, 08:18 AM

A few observations on the game:

- First, because I came of age in the 70's, I am much more comfortable watching the Packers when they play good defense (paired with a lousy offense, which was the case last night), as opposed to the years in which they had a great offense but a lousy defense. That great 2011 offense, that team that went 15 - 1 or 14 - 2? I was miserable watching that. Packers would score, then Capers's defense would let the other team go right through them like butter. I hate watching that. So, for me, I enjoyed that game greatly last night. What a difference between that defense and what Capers/Thompson were putting out there just two or three years ago! Now, some of those players last night were Thompson's (Kenny Clark is really, really, really good), but on the whole, it was just a pleasure to feel confident in that Green Bay defense. I was especially impressed with the tackling - even when Trubisky completed a pass short, the linebackers/corners/safeties tackled the receiver right away. It's also clear, already, that Matthews/Perry were out of gas a couple years ago already. The Smith boys were consistently better. If this defense can play like this throughout the year, it will be a pleasure to watch, knowing the defense can keep them in games. They might not win any more than if they had a great offense and no defense, but for me, it's more enjoyable (and less stressful) to watch a good-defense-but-crummy-offense team, as opposed to the reverse.

- That on-the-field interview after the game with Rodgers. I told my wife that I haven't seen Aaron Rodgers look that happy since I don't know when. All this time we thought he was pissed because of the offense (and I think he was), but maybe it was more that he was sick of thinking the offense had to carry the team. Rodgers was smiling like a school kid, talking to Michelle Tafoya about the Packer defense. He didn't seem upset about the offense's failings, talked about how he'd have to be better, congratulated his coach, etc. But he just seemed truly, truly happy - moreso after interviews the past few years when the Packers would win. It was very noticeable.

- I was surprised they didn't call interference on Tramon Williams on the Amos pick. Relieved, but surprised.

- Didn't like The Flower's first challenge - it seemed obvious there was no offensive PI - but the second, of course, was a good challenge.

- I thought the safety play was excellent last night. Excellent. What a difference just having two competent safeties makes.

- Pettine may be becoming the Packers' best new weapon. Our own Vic Fangio. Man, that defense looked good.

-

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2019, 08:31 AM
It's also clear, already, that Matthews/Perry were out of gas a couple years ago already.

https://i.imgur.com/u5WLvL8.jpg

I kept thinking of the old cliche "it's a young man's game." The D linemen in particular are under 25.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 08:41 AM
- Pettine may be becoming the Packers' best new weapon. Our own Vic Fangio. Man, that defense looked good.

Another positive there is that Poutine likely doesn't ever want to be a head coach again. He was really put off by the experience in Cleveland, specifically the more administrative aspects and 'politics' of dealing with owners/presidents and to a smaller extent GMs who have non-football agendas. By that I mean, in the case of Cleveland, he was forced to play Manzier by the owner, and he knows that can happen anywhere and anytime. It can be hard to find a spot where you aren't being forced to act against your best chances to win. We've seen it a million times in the NFL. rn that doesn't seem to be the case in GB, so as a D-coordinator in GB, he has good support in building what he needs to succeed and not a lot of headaches from administration. Flower can deal with that crap and the offense. Finally, Poutine is well liked and respected by players. Was liked by players in Cleveland as well. That's a huge plus to have a talented guy who isn't aloof from today's NFL player. Builds great team chemistry. And being respected by Rodgers almost guarantees there will never be a schism between offense and defense. The current set-up appears to be very good and with just decent ability from Flower, could last a long time.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 08:43 AM
It's also clear, already, that Matthews/Perry were out of gas a couple years ago already.

Even though they were friends, Matthews Perry was truly an odd couple

Tony Oday
09-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Love AR after the game, *sly look at the camera*, "We got a defense."

Fritz
09-06-2019, 08:57 AM
He repeated it at the end of the interview, too. He seemed really, really pleased. Not the usual "we got a win, that's what's important, now we're looking ahead to next week, etc."

Haven't seen Rodgers look this relaxed in a while. He likes this team having a real defense. Hope it keeps on keeping on that way.

Did he even scream at any of his receivers last night? I didn't see it. Just a few gestures here and there.

Tony Oday
09-06-2019, 09:14 AM
He repeated it at the end of the interview, too. He seemed really, really pleased. Not the usual "we got a win, that's what's important, now we're looking ahead to next week, etc."

Haven't seen Rodgers look this relaxed in a while. He likes this team having a real defense. Hope it keeps on keeping on that way.

Did he even scream at any of his receivers last night? I didn't see it. Just a few gestures here and there.

I think he even took the blame for some of his Kizer like throws.

Cheesehead Craig
09-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Rodgers playful shove of Pettine, the players mobbing him after the game, the sheer look of joy on his face. Loved seeing that.

I was texting my son in college and told him afterwards that defensive games can be hard to watch at times, but they are the most satisfying wins, IMO. The last drive Chicago had, I really wasn't worried as I believed in the defense. It's been over a decade since I could say that, and it feels really good.

Fritz
09-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Craig, I only disagree with your line "defensive games can be hard to watch at times." Somehow, I find it less stressful when the Packer defense is playing well. But the rest of what you wrote - I totally agree. That felt good, watching that defense.

I hope they keep playing well so the offense can figure out what the hell they're doing. Looked like a bunch of clowns getting out of a Volkswagen. Nobody knew what they were doing. That's going to take a while to figure out. Once they work out what the hell the play calls actually are, they'll have to work on actually executing them.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Finally, Poutine is well liked and respected by players. Was liked by players in Cleveland as well. That's a huge plus to have a talented guy who isn't aloof from today's NFL player. Builds great team chemistry. And being respected by Rodgers almost guarantees there will never be a schism between offense and defense. The current set-up appears to be very good and with just decent ability from Flower, could last a long time.

Really good chemistry signs last night. Flower has the offense, defense and special teams seeming to feel like a big, close knit team. He lets each player and coach shine instead of muting personalities the way MM seemed to do. Good omens for sure.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Not sure it was mentioned, but the punting and also coverage was excellent (even without Crawford). Nice to have a 63 yard punt when you need it to change field position.

Freak Out
09-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Scott just killed it last night. He's a weapon now.

Fritz
09-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Not sure it was mentioned, but the punting and also coverage was excellent (even without Crawford). Nice to have a 63 yard punt when you need it to change field position.

Good point. The coverage looked solid, and the punting was not only long, the hang times seemed pretty good and their was even some directional punting.

Davis didn't fumble, and seemed to play it safe with lots of fair catches. Which was good because the Packers' guys couldn't seem to stop the Bears players from getting down the field, fast.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 10:32 AM

All preseason too. Best 5 game stretch of punting I’ve seen in over 20 years I think.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 10:44 AM
All preseason too. Best 5 game stretch of punting I’ve seen in over 20 years I think.

going back to Hentrich, really.

edit: His 47 average last night was the same as Hentrich's best season (his first with TN after leaving GB). Hentrich was a career 43 punter

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 10:47 AM

And given that he's still in middle school, he should be a weapon for two decades

https://d395i9ljze9h3x.cloudfront.net/req/20180910/images/headshots/ScotJK00_2019.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Weapon Fan Club?
https://i.imgur.com/8CAm52c.jpg

Here Weapon lays a lick on unlucky Bear.
https://i.imgur.com/ieQRBvg.jpg

George Cumby
09-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Man, I love the Kool-Aid being passed around.

Pass me some of dat shit. I'm on board.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 11:11 AM
"I've never had my butt fingered" Picked up by hot mike during the game. Harlan will be hardest hit by this news.

https://twitter.com/NotScTop10plays/status/1169785898713714688/video/1

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 11:13 AM
"I've never had my butt fingered" Picked up by hot mike during the game. Harlan will be hardest hit by this news.

:lol:

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 11:14 AM
What would we do without Twitter??

Fritz
09-06-2019, 11:18 AM
And given that he's still in middle school, he should be a weapon for two decades

https://d395i9ljze9h3x.cloudfront.net/req/20180910/images/headshots/ScotJK00_2019.jpg

He looks like some kid who's about ready to enter the Punt, Pass, and Kick competition.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 11:22 AM
He looks like some kid who's about ready to enter the Punt, Pass, and Kick competition.

and he'll lose to and be eaten by Andy Reid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J43shDi3XU

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2019, 11:24 AM
When I saw his 46+ yard average, I was thinking he must have the wind behind him on most of those, but then he fired off that 63 yarder in the other direction. The kid is looking good so far. Hopefully he won't fade like last year. When they showed that replay with his follow through foot way over his head - every bit of seven feet high, it really reminded me of Ray Guy back in the day.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Wow. Pettine’s unit held the hapless Bares offense to a fg, and folks are claiming this is the greatest defense since [spoilers alert!]

the Mother of Dragons successfully defended Winterfell for Jon Snow - Snow repaid Daenerys with a dagger through her heart.

Was the performance last night inspiring? Aside from that Capersesque 3 men rush, 3rd and 20-something completion, sure.

But get back to me when this defense shuts down Mahomes, like I shut down Darren Charles in a game.

Tony Oday
09-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Wow. Pettine’s unit held the hapless Bares offense to a fg, and folks are claiming this is the greatest defense since [spoilers alert!]

the Mother of Dragons successfully defended Winterfell for Jon Snow - Snow repaid Daenerys with a dagger through her heart.

Was the performance last night inspiring? Aside from that Capersesque 3 men rush, 3rd and 20-something completion, sure.

But get back to me when this defense shuts down Mahomes, like I shut down Darren Charles in a game.

Already proven you have never shut down anyone but I do have to apologize, you actually won on the Game Day Thread, good work.

Packgator
09-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Packers would score, then Capers's defense would let the other team go right through them like butter. I hate watching that. So, for me, I enjoyed that game greatly last night. What a difference between that defense and what Capers/Thompson were putting out there just two or three years ago!-

Exactly! In recent years, when the other team would get the ball near the end of a close game, there was a feeling of "doom". It got so bad that we would hope the other team would score with enough time on the clock for the offense to have one last chance. Last night I actually felt confident in the defense late in the game for the first time in years. Hope it wasn't a one time feeling.

channtheman
09-06-2019, 12:42 PM

The defense does look improved, but you're absolutely correct, it was just the Bears offense... in week 1. Everyone remembers how bad our offense looked yesterday, right?

Anti-Polar Bear
09-06-2019, 01:01 PM
The defense does look improved, but you're absolutely correct, it was just the Bears offense... in week 1. Everyone remembers how bad our offense looked yesterday, right?

The O in the 1st quarter made McCarthy’s latter day offense look like the greatest show on turf. -12 yards in a quarter? Not even McCarthy achieved that feat.

If the O doesn’t improve, I say fuck the Shananhan-McVay scheme and just let Rodgers call his own plays. Rodgers ain’t the player he was in his 20’s, but I still think the wanker wideouts will continue to hold the O down.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Exactly! In recent years, when the other team would get the ball near the end of a close game, there was a feeling of "doom". It got so bad that we would hope the other team would score with enough time on the clock for the offense to have one last chance. Last night I actually felt confident in the defense late in the game for the first time in years. Hope it wasn't a one time feeling.

hahahahaha I'd be lying if that thought didn't cross my mind last night too. If the Bears got a TD instead of the Amos pick, I'm confident the GOAT would have taken the Packers down the field for 3 or 6 as the clock ran out.

MadScientist
09-06-2019, 02:46 PM

hahahahaha I'd be lying if that thought didn't cross my mind last night too. If the Bears got a TD instead of the Amos pick, I'm confident the GOAT would have taken the Packers down the field for 3 or 6 as the clock ran out.

Honestly I was expecting the Bears final drive to march down the field. This defense is night and day better than previous years.

Also on that final series there was a QB hit (probably by a Smith) where he just ran into Trubisky just after the ball was thrown, with his head up and his arms down and just hit him with his chest. Still enough to knock Trubisky on his ass, but no chance for a penalty like Clay kept getting.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Also on that final series there was a QB hit (probably by a Smith) where he just ran into Trubisky just after the ball was thrown, with his head up and his arms down and just hit him with his chest. Still enough to knock Trubisky on his ass, but no chance for a penalty like Clay kept getting.

Dr. Zaius

Cheesehead Craig
09-06-2019, 03:20 PM

That was the same thought I had when Doc hit him. Somebody learned what to do in that situation.

call_me_ishmael
09-06-2019, 04:18 PM

lol, that is amazing and Al Michaels laughing makes it even better!

call_me_ishmael
09-06-2019, 04:19 PM
I thought this was a wobbly, trash throw when watching it. From this angle, I understand why it was so wobbly.

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1169949696418287616

Wow. Not sure if I should love or hate this. He's lucky it was completed in my opinion and I'd rather he get his foot work right. MVS had to nearly come to a full stop to make the catch.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 04:34 PM
I thought this was a wobbly, trash throw when watching it. From this angle, I understand why it was so wobbly.

Wow. Not sure if I should love or hate this. He's lucky it was completed in my opinion and I'd rather he get his foot work right. MVS had to nearly come to a full stop to make the catch.

Oh wow. Yeah. Amazing.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Oh wow. Yeah. Amazing.

He has incredible arm strength. You can see he's using his body and eyes to look everyone to the left and relying on arm strength to throw it where he wants it to the right. It's just very hard to throw a 50+ yard pass without stepping into it. But his body and eye mechanics did influence most of the defense.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Tramon Williams played all 73 snaps on defense. Again. This guy is amazing to be able to play every down as a 36 year old db.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Tramon Williams played all 73 snaps on defense. Again. This guy is amazing to be able to play every down as a 36 year old db.

Yep. Reminds me of CWood a little. I don’t know if you remember it the same way, but I recall Wood looking back for the ball and sort of Tripping the WR with incidental contact as he was looking for the ball... It was a dirty trick but he was good at it and got away with it damn near every time. Williams pulled that shit on that 7 route that Amos picked off. He looked back and happened to incidentally block the WR out. Savvy move. Intentional interference but looked incidental and by rule shouldn’t be called when both guys are going for ball.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Honestly I was expecting the Bears final drive to march down the field. This defense is night and day better than previous years.

I'll give Pettine a ton of credit for designing a great D game plan to put pressure on Trubisky and negate his ability to escape and scramble. The coverage was generally damn good too, BUT, that drive by the Bears at the end, it seemed like Pettine fell into the old prevent defense trap, for a while at least. I hope he learned from it and in the future, especially if the game is still close, just keep on doing what you did to get you to that point.

Smidgeon
09-06-2019, 05:38 PM

...as the oldest DB in the league.

yetisnowman
09-06-2019, 06:10 PM

Ridiculous arm talent. Terrible fundamentals. Honestly he could look off the safety there the exact same way and just take .6 seconds to set his feet and that's a touchdown on a well thrown ball.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2019, 06:14 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tramon Williams stinks.

Guess I must be wrrr. wrrrroo

Fuck it. He stinks.

pbmax
09-06-2019, 07:40 PM

Announcers said it was a line drive and returnable which was true until Cohen had to catch it over his shoulder while retreating.

That kid looked like Jon Ryan out there. Its either sky high and unreturnable for 42 yards or its a line drive bomb,

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Ridiculous arm talent. Terrible fundamentals. Honestly he could look off the safety there the exact same way and just take .6 seconds to set his feet and that's a touchdown on a well thrown ball.

He’s gotta clean up the footwork. All night that’s a problem. That long pass to Davis was in the dirt too because of crappy footwork. He gone too far with the deliberate unset foot deal (which he claims reduces injury chance if he’s hit).

Bretsky
09-06-2019, 09:50 PM
I guess I'm the only one who thinks Tramon Williams stinks.

Guess I must be wrrr. wrrrroo

Fuck it. He stinks.

It's OK; somebody always has to be wrong

This is you :)

smuggler
09-06-2019, 10:20 PM
I thought the safety play was excellent last night. Excellent. What a difference just having two competent safeties makes.

Honestly, I felt like Raven Greene also played pretty well. Quite the sea change in that position group...

bobblehead
09-07-2019, 12:23 AM
Weapon Fan Club?
https://i.imgur.com/8CAm52c.jpg

Here Weapon lays a lick on unlucky Bear.
https://i.imgur.com/ieQRBvg.jpg

Careful guys. Keep this up and Partial is gonna try and get our punter banned!!

mraynrand
09-07-2019, 06:52 AM
Careful guys. Keep this up and Partial is gonna try and get our punter banned!!

Please keep the dispute in the Packer Forum about football

Freak Out
09-07-2019, 09:03 AM
JK "Child Soldier" Scott

RashanGary
09-07-2019, 09:37 AM
Please keep the dispute in the Packer Forum about football

This is advertisement for FYI. I don’t touch politics, but the fights between Partial and bobble are intriguing.

Fritz
09-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Honestly, I felt like Raven Greene also played pretty well. Quite the sea change in that position group...

Couple of other notes:

- Trevor Davis seems to have grown and matured, both as a receiver and returner. On that pass from Rodgers, he was in a seam, I think, and sat down (which he had to, to catch what Rodgers had thrown), then, when tacklers came, he was sure to protect the ball. He also seems more certain in his decision-making as far as fair catching punts. Kudos to him.

- I thought I saw at least four or five occasions in which the Packers ran out the play clock but did not get penalized. The play clock went to zero, but there was no flag, and Linsley then snapped the ball. Weird.

- One play, late in the game, showed why Mercedes Lewis is a run-blocker, not a pass-catcher. The Bears' defender had sniffed out the play and so covered Lewis early in the play, when Rodgers was looking for him. So Lewis went upfield, but was still covered, so Rodgers threw the ball back-side. Lewis had to twist to get around, which he did, and it looked like it would have been a tough catch, but a makeable catch - but Lewis just couldn't do it. It went through his fingers.

- Yes, I'm complaining about the touchdown throw, even though it was a touchdown. Man, Rodgers looks so awkward, and the ball really doesn't have much zip on it. Same with the long completion to MVS. That thing looked like it hung up there forever. Is Rodgers no longer capable of setting his feet properly? Is he so afraid of having his legs hurt that he refuses to set his feet to pass?

- Went to a Bears forum. They are complaining bitterly about Nagy's play calling (which I also questioned, as it seemed to me more David Montgomery would've helped them), and about Bitch Trubisky. They compare him, mostly, to Kyle Orton.

- Finally, da Bears still suck!

mraynrand
09-07-2019, 11:51 AM
This is advertisement for FYI. I don’t touch politics, but the fights between Partial and bobble are intriguing.

Was not my intention to ‘advertise’ for FYI. My recommendation is actually to avoid it. Everyone who posts in there is a jerk.

bobblehead
09-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Not really. If I told Partial Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over much he would simply say thats old news and Rodgers is a turnover machine.

KYPack
09-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Couple of other notes:

- Trevor Davis seems to have grown and matured, both as a receiver and returner. On that pass from Rodgers, he was in a seam, I think, and sat down (which he had to, to catch what Rodgers had thrown), then, when tacklers came, he was sure to protect the ball. He also seems more certain in his decision-making as far as fair catching punts. Kudos to him.

- I thought I saw at least four or five occasions in which the Packers ran out the play clock but did not get penalized. The play clock went to zero, but there was no flag, and Linsley then snapped the ball. Weird.

- One play, late in the game, showed why Mercedes Lewis is a run-blocker, not a pass-catcher. The Bears' defender had sniffed out the play and so covered Lewis early in the play, when Rodgers was looking for him. So Lewis went upfield, but was still covered, so Rodgers threw the ball back-side. Lewis had to twist to get around, which he did, and it looked like it would have been a tough catch, but a makeable catch - but Lewis just couldn't do it. It went through his fingers.

- Yes, I'm complaining about the touchdown throw, even though it was a touchdown. Man, Rodgers looks so awkward, and the ball really doesn't have much zip on it. Same with the long completion to MVS. That thing looked like it hung up there forever. Is Rodgers no longer capable of setting his feet properly? Is he so afraid of having his legs hurt that he refuses to set his feet to pass?

- Went to a Bears forum. They are complaining bitterly about Nagy's play calling (which I also questioned, as it seemed to me more David Montgomery would've helped them), and about Bitch Trubisky. They compare him, mostly, to Kyle Orton.

Yes they do. They suck so hard, they can make a perfect vacuum.

Another guy who had a good game (especially for a rook) was S Darnell Savage. He made a solid breakup of a pass to Allen Robinson in the 3rd quarter. There were 2 other plays that were near interception before Amos made the big pick at the end of the game. We will start cashing in these turnover chances that will make us a top tier defense.

RashanGary
09-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Another guy who had a good game (especially for a rook) was S Darnell Savage. He made a solid breakup of a pass to Allen Robinson in the 3rd quarter. There were 2 other plays that were near interception before Amos made the big pick at the end of the game. We will start cashing in these turnover chances that will make us a top tier defense.

Welcome back, old timer! Yep. Savage looked relievingly good for a rook.

texaspackerbacker
09-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Couple of other notes:

I watched the replay this morning, and I did not see any sign of a penalty for 12 on the field by the Bears. Therefore, that was a risky pass to Graham. It was, however, damn near pin point accuracy even without Rodgers setting his feet - a GOAT play. On the long pass to MVS, if Rodgers led him more, the second Bear DB has a chance to get in the path of the ball. I'd say he threw it where it needed to be.

Hell yeah about Trevor Davis. I'd like to see him (or Kumerow or Lazard) get some of the snaps Allison got.

I don't like Marcedes Lewis. I was hoping they would cut him. I'm still hoping Sternberger comes off IR, and they cut Lewis then.

Suffice it to say, I have a lot higher opinion of Trubisky than some people - in this forum or in Chicagoland. I don't have a high opinion of Nagy. He didn't have his team prepared nearly as well as LaFleur, and I haven't ever seen much sign of intelligent play calling from him.

And hell yeah, Consensus, da Bears still suck!

The Shadow
09-07-2019, 03:39 PM
The Bears are on track to score a total of 48 points this year.

Harlan Huckleby
09-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Suffice it to say, I have a lot higher opinion of Trubisky than some people - in this forum or in Chicagoland.

I think he's a stud. He is a little too aggressive at times, but so was Burt Favre.

pbmax
09-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Savage was so early on that route he had to sit down to slow down and stay in position. Always good to be too fast than too slow. Easier to correct.

pbmax
09-07-2019, 04:26 PM

:mrgreen:

mraynrand
09-07-2019, 07:01 PM

lol. Best post of the season so far.

HarveyWallbangers
09-08-2019, 10:12 AM
I watched the replay this morning, and I did not see any sign of a penalty for 12 on the field by the Bears.

12 men on the field is clear as day. I saw it in real time. Just rewatched. Just before the play, the camera view is from behind the Packers. You'll see a Bears player running to the sideline, and he's several yards from the sideline when the ball is hiked. Would have been a terrible decision (1st down inside the 10 throwing a ball up for grabs) to make that throw if it wasn't a free play. Brilliant to make the throw knowing there were 12 men on the field.

texaspackerbacker
09-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Supposing the Packers did not get a TD, is it possible the 12 on the field could have been challenged or call from replay? Just asking - I'm not sure. I do know, there was no flag and no "penalty declined" announcement.

I hope ya'all are right hahahahaha. I'd hate to think he put it up for grabs like that even with the apparently rejuvenated Jimmy Graham.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-08-2019, 12:07 PM
lol. Best post of the season so far.

I ain’t a Bares fan, but the Packers are on track to score 160 this season. 160 is certainly plausible given the wankers the Pack have at WR.

I wouldn’t lol til the Packers score 30 in a game.

mraynrand
09-08-2019, 12:39 PM
I ain’t a Bares fan, but the Packers are on track to score 160 this season. 160 is certainly plausible given the wankers the Pack have at WR.

I wouldn’t lol til the Packers score 30 in a game.

If you’re not gonna lol at the Bears, you in the wrong place.

pbmax
09-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Tank is always zigging when the groups zags. Which is why he has a lot of hoof prints on his back.

mraynrand
09-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Tank is always zigging when the groups zags. Which is why he has a lot of hoof prints on his back.

Sure, most of the time it’s deliberate. That’s why I mostly don’t respond unless it’s to make a larger point or just to have fun.

pbmax
09-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Sure, most of the time it’s deliberate. That’s why I mostly don’t respond unless it’s to make a larger point or just to have fun.

If Tank was a camel, he would avoid all Oasis because some of them are mirages.

Cheesehead Craig
09-08-2019, 03:34 PM

He's just boring at this point. Same shit every day.

pbmax
09-08-2019, 03:47 PM
He's just boring at this point. Same shit every day.

He has gotten a little Top 40 radio lately.

"Play the Hits!"

pbmax
09-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Packers Morning Buzz: Defensive line passes first test without run-stopper Mike Daniels https://ift.tt/2ZJg5kH #Packers

He doesn't write the headlines, but Daniels was never a run stopper.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2019, 04:29 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/11/packers-had-free-play-on-aaron-rodgers-td-pass-to-jimmy-graham/

Validation that Rodgers had a free play on the Graham TD.

mraynrand
09-11-2019, 05:41 PM
He doesn't write the headlines, but Daniels was never a run stopper.

No one ever thought Daniels wrote the headlines.

pbmax
09-11-2019, 06:03 PM
No one ever thought Daniels wrote the headlines.

Oh I see. Pronoun trouble.

He doesn't have to shoot YOU now. So shoot me now!

Guiness
09-11-2019, 09:48 PM
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/11/packers-had-free-play-on-aaron-rodgers-td-pass-to-jimmy-graham/

Validation that Rodgers had a free play on the Graham TD.

thanks for that

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2019, 01:25 AM
ok, I'm relieved that it actually was apparently a free play. It's still strange that the officials didn't call it, but I guess that could have been challenged, right?

pbmax
09-12-2019, 08:08 AM
ok, I'm relieved that it actually was apparently a free play. It's still strange that the officials didn't call it, but I guess that could have been challenged, right?

I want to say, probably? I think they have challenged that before but am not entirely sure.

ThunderDan
09-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Yes, too many men on the field can be challenged.

call_me_ishmael
09-12-2019, 08:58 AM
https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/1171995689049612288

Concerns about Mitch Trubisky’s confidence and his ability to steady a rocking boat are very real inside Halas Hall.

It’s incredibly weird to say. But a Week 2 road game against an ordinary opponent suddenly feels much much heavier than it should.

LOL.

Somebody on Twitter posted the following:

Za’Darius Smith broke an entire organization...after one game. What a signing by Brian Gutekunst.

Patler
09-12-2019, 09:53 AM

The officials did call it. It is stated in the Game Book and indicated as 'Declined". I think they just didn't announce it.

pbmax
09-12-2019, 11:36 AM
The officials did call it. It is stated in the Game Book and indicated as 'Declined". I think they just didn't announce it.

I think we have seen that before on scoring plays, where the declined penalty simply doesn't have any effect.

Patler
09-12-2019, 12:59 PM
I think we have seen that before on scoring plays, where the declined penalty simply doesn't have any effect.

Makes sense, why waste the time?

pbmax
09-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Makes sense, why waste the time?

I also suspect TV isn't in a hurry to catch it since they can get to commercials.

pbmax
10-11-2019, 12:35 PM
I don't know how you can call this 10 minute package of replays, highlights. Woof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJE8T861vas

mraynrand
10-11-2019, 01:57 PM
7:50 - Tyreek Davis gets his one and only catch of the season with the Pack.