PDA

View Full Version : On to the next one game week discussion thread: Vikings @ Lambeau

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Football gods showing favor on Flower and AR. Should be able to forge an identity and be better prepared for the road communication challenges a month from now.

We’ll know more about the opponent in a couple days, but the health and home games on the horizon is an ideal environment for our team to come together and thrive.

Gotta say, I’m as excited as Tex during the 4th quarter of a 0-21 losing game. I know we’re gonna get it together and win!

Mini bye doesn’t hurt going into this game either. A couple extra days to work on the pace and offensive operation, plus time to get ready for the next team!

Fritz
09-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Isn't this typically where we all get our hopes up, stating the kinds of things you do above, and then the defense goes out and gives up 30, and the offense continues to sputter?

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Isn't this typically where we all get our hopes up, stating the kinds of things you do above, and then the defense goes out and gives up 30, and the offense continues to sputter?

It could happen, because the Bears offense is not good, and could be very much worse than the good offenses the Packers will face going forward. Let's see how Minnesota plays this Sunday...

Bears defense looks very strong. Hopefully, and likely, they will be the toughest the Packers face this year. Cowboys on road second?

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Minnesota is a different kind of challenge. Better QB. Better receivers. Good game to get King back to 100%. I think the weaker part of our defense is the secondary. Savage looked good against Trubisky but he’s a rookie. He’s gonna have his moments. I do trust King, Alexander and Amos, but Williams will have his moments where his age gets picked on. We’ll see if Greene is as good at that coverage LB spot going forward. He’s hardly proven.

So yeah, a better QB/WR group will be a good test for our secondary.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 10:56 AM
There are reasons I do have some optimism going forward though. Martinez, Amos and Tramon are all savvy, experienced players so they can help keep the young guys pointed in the right direction play in and play out. Having those three to get the defense aligned and dialed in will give Savage the ability to know what he’s doing and play fast. King and Alexander are really good. So even though there is some probability that we’ll give up more than 3 points per game, with the pass rush being so effective, and the experience on the interior of our back 7, there sure is reason to believe they can be top 10 or even top 5 maybe.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 10:59 AM
It could go a number of directions, but I see the defensive personnel as fitting really well together. Some youth, but experience around the youth to keep things pointed in the right direction. Up front, what happened against the Bears top notch OL was real. I’d bet on that.

texaspackerbacker
09-06-2019, 11:41 AM
I really doubt Cousins is a better QB than Trubisky. He doesn't have near the mobility, and I don't think he is any better thrower. What the Vikings do have is better receivers, though. I think I read their O Line isn't as good as it used to be, so hopefully our pass rush will come through even more than last week. Did you notice, our guys just basically stayed in their lanes and pushed, to start with anyway on each play? I bet we do some more exotic stuff against Cousins, who is less of a threat to take off and run.

Having ten days to recover and prepare when the opponent only has seven can't hurt, especially this early in the season when everybody, not just the Packers, sat their regulars in preseason.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 11:47 AM
I really doubt Cousins is a better QB than Trubisky. He doesn't have near the mobility, and I don't think he is any better thrower. What the Vikings do have is better receivers, though. I think I read their O Line isn't as good as it used to be, so hopefully our pass rush will come through even more than last week. Did you notice, our guys just basically stayed in their lanes and pushed, to start with anyway on each play? I bet we do some more exotic stuff against Cousins, who is less of a threat to take off and run.

Having ten days to recover and prepare when the opponent only has seven can't hurt, especially this early in the season when everybody, not just the Packers, sat their regulars in preseason.

I do think cousins is a better QB but other than that, i agree with the rest, especially the pass rush opportunities against a lesser OL and less mobile QB. Minnesota is in trouble.

RashanGary
09-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Rookie center and journeyman RG.... Clark/whoever Pettine puts in there to confuse them is gonna get some opportunities to rag doll some OL.

mraynrand
09-06-2019, 12:30 PM
I really doubt Cousins is a better QB than Trubisky. He doesn't have near the mobility, and I don't think he is any better thrower. What the Vikings do have is better receivers, though.

Fact check: mostly true. Cousins is more accurate and has a better deep ball, but his better targets make his life easier. Truby can run, but it's not been a huge advantage.

mraynrand
09-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Packers should abandon the run and pass every down. Rodgers can’t possibly get hurt.

RashanGary
09-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Dalvin Cook is a beast. He’s gonna be tough to stop. Was really impressive. Thielen and Diggs are so smart. They’re good.

Tony Oday
09-08-2019, 10:43 PM
We are in trouble against the Vikings

Bretsky
09-08-2019, 11:24 PM
Exiting to see the game; I have optimism like the former Justin Harrelll

Upnorth
09-09-2019, 10:43 AM
I'm really interested to see what Smith squared will do against the vaunted vikes oline. They did well against Atlanta, but I think Atlanta has a pass rush similar to the 2018 packers. Cook and Rudolf are the challenge on d imo.

When we are on o I think Rodgers will have a touch more time, and our wrs will need it against that secondary. Strangely enough I think Jones and graham will be our best point of attack.

No homo,

I must have a crush on rb and te this morning.

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 10:45 AM
I'm really interested to see what Smith squared will do against the vaunted vikes oline. They did well against Atlanta, but I think Atlanta has a pass rush similar to the 2018 packers. Cook and Rudolf are the challenge on d imo.

When we are on o I think Rodgers will have a touch more time, and our wrs will need it against that secondary. Strangely enough I think Jones and graham will be our best point of attack.

I must have a crush on rb and te this morning.

It’s not gay if you say “no homo” first

Fritz
09-09-2019, 10:48 AM
I think the Vikes will be a tough test. They have Dalvin Cook, and they won't be afraid to use him. We'll see how the Daniels-less line does, and how the revamped LB corps will do.

mraynrand
09-09-2019, 10:51 AM
We’re gonna miss that 1 assisted tackle.

pbmax
09-09-2019, 10:56 AM
We’re gonna miss that 1 assisted tackle.

He was the "run stopper" according to JSO.

pbmax
09-09-2019, 01:11 PM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI
The #Packers are healthy after Week 1. Only Burks and Shepherd not practicing. No contact for Hollman. Here is Adams at work.

JINX!

Upnorth
09-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI
The #Packers are healthy after Week 1. Only Burks and Shepherd not practicing. No contact for Hollman. Here is Adams at work.

JINX!

Why would you do this!!!!!!!
If anything happens I'm voting you of the island

hoosier
09-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI

JINX!

Have at it. It's not like not nine years of NOT talking about injuries had any kind of salutary effect on team health.

pbmax
09-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Why would you do this!!!!!!!
If anything happens I'm voting you of the island

I report (other peoples stuff). You decide.

hoosier
09-09-2019, 03:19 PM
Viking defensive line looked disruptive against Falcons. It's always worse when next week's opponent does that against a team Packers have struggled against. Assuming things go relatively well for Packers on defense, the game will come down to whether or not GB OL can hold its own against a good front seven. We are used to seeing the offensive line in disarray for the first month of the season, so by habit I am expecting another ugly game.

gbgary
09-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Minnesota is a different kind of challenge. Better QB. Better receivers. Good game to get King back to 100%. I think the weaker part of our defense is the secondary. Savage looked good against Trubisky but he’s a rookie. He’s gonna have his moments. I do trust King, Alexander and Amos, but Williams will have his moments where his age gets picked on. We’ll see if Greene is as good at that coverage LB spot going forward. He’s hardly proven.

So yeah, a better QB/WR group will be a good test for our secondary.
i think it's the DT's. clark is the only good-to-great player in the group. as of right now the rest are just guys (nothing special). behind the DT's you've got a good LB in martinez but then just guys. the weak spot is low up the middle imo. i think the secondary has actually turned into a strength...and has some promising depth in brown and holman.
i think it's a min win. we get gashed up the middle and our O/rodgers continues to struggle. hope i'm wrong...again.

esoxx
09-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Packers favored by 3 points.

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 06:36 PM
i think it's the DT's. clark is the only good-to-great player in the group. as of right now the rest are just guys (nothing special). behind the DT's you've got a good LB in martinez but then just guys. the weak spot is low up the middle imo. i think the secondary has actually turned into a strength...and has some promising depth in brown and holman.
i think it's a min win. we get gashed up the middle and our O/rodgers continues to struggle. hope i'm wrong...again.

I was considering Greene and Williams as the guys on the shallow interior of the secondary as the potential soft spots for Thielen and Diggs to attack. And possibly the rookie of they want to try the deep middle... not saying it’s “soft” but it has potential to be a soft spot with one aging and two unproven guys in the middle.

Bretsky
09-09-2019, 06:58 PM
He was the "run stopper" according to JSO.

I actually listed to his interview about a week back. He considered Daniels our best weapon vs the run. Noted he'd often penetrats and tie up mulitiple blockers allowing others to make plays as well

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2019, 07:14 PM
JSO is dwelling on the past. Kenny Clark is more than making up for anything Daniels did, running plays or pass plays. Lowery and Adams were better than I might have expected in the Bears game too, especially when the criterion is tying up multiple blockers. It all is made possible, though, by the great upgrade at OLB. Plain fact is, the Packers D is way better off this season not only against the pass, but also against the run.

And as good as those guys are, I would heartily disagree that the secondary is "the weaker part of our D".

pbmax
09-09-2019, 07:50 PM
I actually listed to his interview about a week back. He considered Daniels our best weapon vs the run. Noted he'd often penetrats and tie up mulitiple blockers allowing others to make plays as well

Not sure about that. Someone is gonna get double teamed in the run game.

gbgary
09-10-2019, 10:09 AM
JSO is dwelling on the past. Kenny Clark is more than making up for anything Daniels did, running plays or pass plays. Lowery and Adams were better than I might have expected in the Bears game too, especially when the criterion is tying up multiple blockers. It all is made possible, though, by the great upgrade at OLB. Plain fact is, the Packers D is way better off this season not only against the pass, but also against the run.

And as good as those guys are, I would heartily disagree that the secondary is "the weaker part of our D".
clarks being clark. that's all he can do. it's for the others (the ones taking daniels' place) to make up for daniels.

run pMc
09-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Vikings O is better than Bears O
Vikings D is worse than Bears D (but still very good)

They will score more than 3 points on GB. MLF & Rodgers will need to get the offense unstuck to keep pace. Early season & division games are often a coin toss.

I don't miss Mike Daniels or Nick Perry. Nagy didn't run enough but the GB run D seems ok so far.
If GB can put MIN in a lot of 3rd and long downs like they did with CHI, and the secondary stays healthy it could push Cousins into a bad mistake.

A lot of it, as usual, comes down to Rodgers and unlocking Zimmer's D.

Upnorth
09-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Didn't King and Savage both have catchable balls in their hands that they couldn't hold on to? Didn't our pass rush get their quick? Isn't the bears oline better than the Vikings?

If MVS is better and draws consistent attention I like Graham working the inside against their MLB's. I am feeling confident today, and I am sober.

pbmax
09-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
Matt LaFleur on run game: It felt like it started to get going in the second half. We just didn't have enough opportunities.

I hate this excuse. The reason you did not have more opportunities was that your offense stunk even as the Defense played well and the ST fought at least to a draw.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2019, 01:11 PM
It just occurred to me that Packers were lucky to get their Thursday night game over on the first week. They don't have to deal with the bullshit short week during the year. I suppose this was mentioned already but it is news to me.

hoosier
09-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Both teams have to deal with the bullshit short week, genius. And this way they don't get the benefit of having an "extra bye" at a time when they're banged up. Some people's luck is other people's misfortune. And sometimes it's the same person.

pbmax
09-11-2019, 01:28 PM
It just occurred to me that Packers were lucky to get their Thursday night game over on the first week. They don't have to deal with the bullshit short week during the year. I suppose this was mentioned already but it is news to me.

Don't real estate agents send you magnets of the schedule by the truckload?

WEEK 4 · Thu 09/26 · 7:20 PM CDT

Packers vs. Philadelphia Eagles

pbmax
09-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
The #Packers LB Oren Burks (pec) and WR Darrius Shepherd (hamstring) remain out & CB Ka’Dar Hollman (neck) still in the non-contact red jersey. Healthy group as practice ramps up for Minnesota.

New guy is working the jinx.

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Don't real estate agents send you magnets of the schedule by the truckload?

WEEK 4 · Thu 09/26 · 7:20 PM CDT

Packers vs. Philadelphia Eagles

hmmm this is f-ed up. But I guess the bye-week during season opens up opportunity for extra thursday night game.

hoosier's schooling of me has fallen on deaf ears. It makes little sense. Perhaps if you repost it all-caps I'll get the point.

It's true that both teams have to deal with the short week, but still it is a suck ass situation that nobody enjoys.

RashanGary
09-11-2019, 03:52 PM
hmmm this is f-ed up. But I guess the bye-week during season opens up opportunity for extra thursday night game.

hoosier's schooling of me has fallen on deaf ears. It makes little sense. Perhaps if you repost it all-caps I'll get the point.

It's true that both teams have to deal with the short week, but still it is a suck ass situation that nobody enjoys.

I like starting the season on Thursday. That mini bye after week one is ideal for guys to recover from that first game. Also, early season is apt to be the sloppiest. I know Lafleur said they had a “bonus practice” and I’m guessing they had a bonus day of meetings too. No better time than coming out of week 1 with all of the rust, to get those extra days to shine things up. And it’s not such a long break that you see the first quarter rust like after a bye.

Mid season, yeah, that’s brutal on their bodies. The 10 days after is always nice. Would be smart if they tried to align Thursday games with bye weeks. During that stretch of the schedule so a team had an 11 day break and then a 10 day break.

pbmax
09-11-2019, 04:02 PM
It sure seemed like there was more pressure on Rodgers. Anyone get this impression from the game?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EENPTc5W4AEQdCB?format=png&name=900x900

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2019, 05:26 PM
I like starting the season on Thursday. That mini bye after week one is ideal for guys to recover from that first game. Also, early season is apt to be the sloppiest. I know Lafleur said they had a “bonus practice” and I’m guessing they had a bonus day of meetings too. No better time than coming out of week 1 with all of the rust, to get those extra days to shine things up. And it’s not such a long break that you see the first quarter rust like after a bye.

Mid season, yeah, that’s brutal on their bodies. The 10 days after is always nice. Would be smart if they tried to align Thursday games with bye weeks. During that stretch of the schedule so a team had an 11 day break and then a 10 day break.

Having an opening game on thursday is all good. I was hoping it fulfilled the Thursday game obligation. But after thinking about it, that would be unfair, double dipping on a good thing.

I agree that Thursday night games should be synced with bye-weeks. Why the fuck they can't do it is puzzling. Maybe the computers overheat when they try and do the algorithm.

texaspackerbacker
09-12-2019, 01:29 AM
It sure seemed like there was more pressure on Rodgers. Anyone get this impression from the game?

I always get that impression. I'm thinking in some cases, he escapes the pass rush so quick that it doesn't get counted by the statisticians.

I will say, though, our O Line played better than I expected in that Bears game.

Upnorth
09-12-2019, 08:11 AM
How are the bears not on the pressure list? It looked like trubisky rarely had a pocket or set feet.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-12-2019, 08:36 AM
How are the bears not on the pressure list? It looked like trubisky rarely had a pocket or set feet.

Math.

I think the Great Arm of Butte threw the rock 30 times. If the Bares got him 6 times, it's only a 20% Wu-Tang rate.

The Queens threw 10 times, i think. Suppose the Falconers knocked Capt. Kirk's head off 4 times. 40% wu-tang (that's hip hop for awesome, b/c the wu- tang clan defines awesomeness).

mraynrand
09-12-2019, 08:44 AM
It looked like trubisky rarely had a pocket or set feet.

Maybe he was just tying to emulate Rodgers.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Did Savage got cut? Pretty sure the very hot Olivia Reiner tweeted about Savage switching to 21, to pay homage to the Redcoat rapper, 21 Savage.

Pretty sure Charlie Peprah played last week.

I'd rather duct tape and Sharpie my old Reebok C-Wood jersey than feed a bunch of greedy pigs that would rather hire rapists than the dude fighting the good fight.

I just cancelled my streaming NFL Sunday Tix subscription.

Tony Oday
09-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Did Savage got cut? Pretty sure the very hot Olivia Reiner tweeted about Savage switching to 21, to pay homage to the Redcoat rapper, 21 Savage.

Pretty sure Charlie Peprah played last week.

I'd rather duct tape and Sharpie my old Reebok C-Wood jersey than feed a bunch of greedy pigs that would rather hire rapists than the dude fighting the good fight.

I just cancelled my streaming NFL Sunday Tix subscription.

Stunning and Brave

Fritz
09-12-2019, 10:57 AM

These kinds of charts confuse me, and explain why my wife tells me I overthink things.

Does the above chart mean that the teams on the list at the top generated the most defensive pressures on the opponent, or that their quarterbacks were pressured by the opponents' pass rushes?

gbgary
09-12-2019, 11:07 AM
These kinds of charts confuse me, and explain why my wife tells me I overthink things.

Does the above chart mean that the teams on the list at the top generated the most defensive pressures on the opponent, or that their quarterbacks were pressured by the opponents' pass rushes?

yeah me too. i think it's how much team's qb's were pressured. rodgers was pressured 32.7% of the snaps.

Tony Oday
09-12-2019, 11:14 AM
I do not see how the Packers can win this game. Zimmer has ARs number and we cannot run against this defense.

pbmax
09-12-2019, 11:39 AM

yeah me too. i think it's how much team's qb's were pressured. rodgers was pressured 32.7% of the snaps.

I think that is possible. I think its horribly labeled and it probably means the Packers pass pro was leaky. Bears lightly less leaky.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-12-2019, 12:44 PM
I do not see how the Packers can win this game. Zimmer has ARs number and we cannot run against this defense.

Man, you're dumber than an orangutan.

First of all, fuck the run.

Secondly, I'll let esoxx check the facts, but off the top of my head, the last time a Great Arm of Butte-led team lost to the Queens at Lambeau, Brett Favre was exposing the incompetence of Todd in purple.

Sure, A-Rod is 0 and whatever against the Queens at their new Metrosexual dome. At Lambeau, however, Rodgers is Freddie Mercury - a winner.

RashanGary
09-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Apb, Metcalf looked great on Sunday. Nice call.

George Cumby
09-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Tank is uniquely qualified to comment on the relative intelligence of our orange cousins.

mraynrand
09-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Tank is uniquely qualified to comment on the relative intelligence of our orange cousins.

Orange Ape Bad!

Joemailman
09-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Not that I want anyone to worry or anything, but...

David Bakhtiari missed practice today with a back injury. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/12/packers-lack-clear-backup-plan-if-lt-david-bakhtiari-cant-play-vs-vikings/

https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/e80af45a-9e7f-45d8-9e8b-e01e1fc896d9.png

pbmax
09-12-2019, 07:21 PM

First of all, fuck the run.

Secondly, I'll let esoxx check the facts, but off the top of my head, the last time a Great Arm of Butte-led team lost to the Queens at Lambeau, Brett Favre was exposing the incompetence of Todd in purple.

Sure, A-Rod is 0 and whatever against the Queens at their new Metrosexual dome. At Lambeau, however, Rodgers is Freddie Mercury - a winner.

This is his reverse jinx. You gotta take some notes.

pbmax
09-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Not that I want anyone to worry or anything, but...

David Bakhtiari missed practice today with a back injury. https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/12/packers-lack-clear-backup-plan-if-lt-david-bakhtiari-cant-play-vs-vikings/

https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/e80af45a-96d9.png

Oh, sure. Let's release Spriggs!

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Apb, Metcalf looked great on Sunday. Nice call.

German Shepherd shoulda drafted DK instead of the fucking center. “Wolverine” is fast and smart - perfect for the A-Rod extended/scrambling offense.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2019, 02:35 AM
This is his reverse jinx. You gotta take some notes.

Well, if that’s the case, America will soon be great again. O’Day did say something about the orange ape annihilating them all in 2020 in FYI. :)

bobblehead
09-13-2019, 11:45 AM
To be honest this game terrifies me. I hate the vikings with a purple passion. They are a much scarier team than the beats simply because they are more balanced. If you think we can hold them to 3 points, well....

We need to hold them to 17 and our offense needs to click to win this one. Their D is no joke though, not quite the Bears, but pretty damn good. Thank goodness we get them at Lambeau for this game and hopefully that is just enough to get us off to the 2-0 start we need for confidence.

Fritz
09-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the Vikes are a tough bunch. It was more fun when they were distracted with party boats and such, but Zimmer has control now, so it's all about toughness and defense. A throwback to the 70's game - well, sort of. I mean, Cousins does throw the ball around the lot in certain games. But you get the idea.

I don't think the Packers are going to get this offense all sorted out in one week. Hell, I'll be happy if Rodgers can get the play called right away and get them up to the line so they can increase the damn tempo. Never mind how the play actually goes; they can't even get the play called and the huddle broken with alacrity. So any Packer win will depend upon the defense again, and maybe a special teams or defensive touchdown.

Which means, given my prognosticating ability, the score will be 38-35.

RashanGary
09-13-2019, 12:38 PM
10 days off. An extra day of practice. At home. Playing a slightly less dominant defense. I do think they can get quite a bit cleaned up in one week.

Then two more home games back to back and let’s see if they can have their shit together on the road against Dallas in week 5. That’s another mini bye where they can self scout and then practice the road operation before they go in. I think it’s a really nice schedule as far as finding their groove early in the season.

Week 6 and on, that’s when we’ll really know what we have. Hopefully we win enough early to make some hay in November/December.

gbgary
09-13-2019, 05:34 PM

he's better than trubisky, as a whole, right now. he had a better year than rodgers did last year statistically.

Rastak
09-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Yeah, the Vikes are a tough bunch. It was more fun when they were distracted with party boats and such, but Zimmer has control now, so it's all about toughness and defense. A throwback to the 70's game - well, sort of. I mean, Cousins does throw the ball around the lot in certain games. But you get the idea.

I don't think the Packers are going to get this offense all sorted out in one week. Hell, I'll be happy if Rodgers can get the play called right away and get them up to the line so they can increase the damn tempo. Never mind how the play actually goes; they can't even get the play called and the huddle broken with alacrity. So any Packer win will depend upon the defense again, and maybe a special teams or defensive touchdown.

Which means, given my prognosticating ability, the score will be 38-35.

Nice observation Fritz. It does seem like a throwback 70's game, which suits me. Pinball football sucks. It's early, hard to give some solid prediction with such a small sample size but I do like the Vikings chances Sunday. Going over to a old buddy's house to watch the game Haven't seen him since 1984 so should be fun. Daughter dropping me off so beer shall flow.