PDA

View Full Version : Making the Grade : Week 1

Radagast
09-07-2019, 12:52 AM
Packers @ Bears : Week 1

Packers Offense --- C

Not enough preseason game work for Rodgers and the 1st team Offense and it showed.

Packers Defense --- B+

Packers Defense played great against a Bears Offense that had -- D -- performance.

Packers Special Teams --- C+ --- .

Played well, but there is room for improvement. Both Kickers did their jobs well.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-07-2019, 02:35 AM
I understand every new season brings a new hope, but the Bears D averaged 17 ppg last season. GB scored 10. That’s below average.

I say the O earned a D.

Radagast
09-07-2019, 04:17 AM
I understand every new season brings a new hope, but the Bears D averaged 17 ppg last season. GB scored 10. That’s below average.

I say the O earned a D.

IMO, as I've already posted, the Bears Offense played a poor game and I rated their performance with a D.

I did not however rate the Bears Defense vs the Packers. I'd say the Bears Defense played well and I rate their performance with a B. Rodgers play was the difference in the game. His TD pass to TE Jimmy Graham won the game for GB

With some real game action to give the Offense the opportunity to get in better (than practice) sync., I look for the GB offense to be a little better next game vs the Vikings.

texaspackerbacker
09-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Scoring more points than the other team means a grade no lower than B minus, which is what I give the Packers offense. (if they had lost 56-53, the highest I would ever give in a lost game is B plus)

The D gets a solid A. Room for improvement? Yeah - shut 'em out and it would be A plus.

Special Teams: the rule is do no harm - that would get them a B. I would say Scott's punting and Crosby's good kicking in a small sample brings it up to B plus.

mraynrand
09-07-2019, 08:12 AM
Yeah I dunno how the ST gets a C for that performance. Scott elevated them and the coverage was solid.

RashanGary
09-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Defense A
Offense D (would be F if not for no turnovers)
Special Teams B

Good game and offense will only get better. Defense will fall back. 3 points is not sustainable.

Fritz
09-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Disagree with those grades, Rad.

Offense: D+
Defense: A
Special teams: B

Cheesehead Craig
09-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Offense: D+. There never seemed to be a flow.
Defense: A. That was a beautiful performance.
Special Teams: A. 47.6 yd punting avg with 5 inside the 20. Scott came up huge, and his 63 yd punt late in the 4th was a massive field position change. Crosby was perfect. Coverage was ok.

George Cumby
09-07-2019, 12:48 PM
What Fritz said.

run pMc
09-07-2019, 03:50 PM
What Fritz said.

Yup.

Rodgers goes 18-30 for just over 200 yds while getting sacked 5 times. Running on the Bears is not easy but I don't think they cracked 60 yards. Took too long getting out of the huddle and snapping at play clock of 0. Ugly performance.

Defense pressured well. Allen Robinson had a good game, but coverage overall was decent. Safety play was vastly better, and -- importantly -- players tackled quickly and limited YAC. Bears O was terrible but the defense had them in 3rd and long all night. (and got off the field!) The Smiths produced in a game what CM3/Perry did in 4.

Special teams did not lose the game which is an improvement in itself from last year, when the Zooksquad cost the team about 3 games (esp. the DET clunker). Scott's punts were instrumental in a defensive battle where field position plays an important role. CHI could not drive the length of the field. Crosby hit his kicks, coverage was decent, and don't recall a lot of stupid ST penalties. Maybe cutting Josh Jones solved that.

Radagast
09-08-2019, 11:59 PM
To restate my view:

Packers Offense --- C

Packers Defense --- B+

Packers Special Teams --- C+

Bears Offense --- D

Bears Defense --- B

The GB Offense, IMO, only rated a C against a Bears Defense that rated a B. GB's new offense faced off against what was a top defense last season. The lack of preseason play by key Packers offense was evident. The low score posted by the Packers should give plenty to work on in practice before week 2. A C rating says that there is much room for improvement and they will be need to improve fast as the Vikings will be next on the schedule.

GB's Defense deserves praise. I rated the GB defense with a B+. They played a Bears Offense that I rated with a D. Had they scored a TD or produced more turnovers or sacks I'd have rated them higher. As it stands, the Packer defense too has room to improve and I believe they will improve. With 10 days to rest, practice, and study they should play well vs the Vikings

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 02:25 AM
To restate my view:

Packers Offense --- C

Packers Defense --- B+

Packers Special Teams --- C+

Bears Offense --- D

Bears Defense --- B

The GB Offense, IMO, only rated a C against a Bears Defense that rated a B. GB's new offense faced off against what was a top defense last season. The lack of preseason play by key Packers offense was evident. The low score posted by the Packers should give plenty to work on in practice before week 2. A C rating says that there is much room for improvement and they will be need to improve fast as the Vikings will be next on the schedule.

GB's Defense deserves praise. I rated the GB defense with a B+. They played a Bears Offense that I rated with a D. Had they scored a TD or produced more turnovers or sacks I'd have rated them higher. As it stands, the Packer defense too has room to improve and I believe they will improve. With 10 days to rest, practice, and study they should play well vs the Vikings

I agree with this. The context of the other team makes the grades make more sense.

Radagast
09-09-2019, 02:39 AM
I agree with this. The context of the other team makes the grades make more sense.

I thank you.

As you've changed your "handle", why not change your avatar as well. Perhaps something to inspire like a SB Ring or Team Logo from the past.

Upnorth
09-09-2019, 10:51 AM
If we break down st grade I think our kickers were a+, coverage was a b-. Our o was a d mostly because of time issues and arod being off target. Our d was a except for whoever was covering Robison who was 70% of the bears o I think.

Looking forward to more context from more of the season. That bears d might be better than last year, I didn't see much separation for our receivers unless it was planned for. And we have a strong pass blocking line that got handled easily.

George Cumby
09-09-2019, 11:11 AM
I thank you.

As you've changed your "handle", why not change your avatar as well. Perhaps something to inspire like a SB Ring or Team Logo from the past.

Control freak much?

Radagast
09-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Control freak much?

Justin "Rashan Gary" Harrell changed his handle, a suggestion to complete the change is not being controlling. You might see life that way if your wife bullies and controls you though. I said,"why not change your avatar" and not you need to change. Go learn to read!

Yes Dear. Right away Dear. LOL

mraynrand
09-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Justin "Rashan Gary" Harrell changed his handle, a suggestion to complete the change is not being controlling. You might see life that way if your wife bullies and controls you though. I said,"why not change your avatar" and not you need to change. Go learn to read!

What a nag

Radagast
09-09-2019, 11:20 PM
If we break down st grade I think our kickers were a+, coverage was a b-. Our o was a d mostly because of time issues and arod being off target. Our d was a except for whoever was covering Robison who was 70% of the bears o I think.

Looking forward to more context from more of the season. That bears d might be better than last year, I didn't see much separation for our receivers unless it was planned for. And we have a strong pass blocking line that got handled easily.

Another thing, as good as GB's pass blocking was, the run blocking needs more work. I'm sure that HC LaFleur has identified this and will be focusing more on improving the run blocking. Aaron Jones can do better if the run blocking improves.

I expect to see improvement with the QB/Receivers by week 2. The lack of preseason scrimmage work was painfully apparent. The timing and rhythm of a well synchronized TEAM was missing. Minnesota has a highly rated Defense, GB will need to be offensively better in week 2 and not so dependent upon the Defense. I'd like to grade GB's Offense higher than a C following the Packers/Vikings game.

Radagast
09-09-2019, 11:27 PM
mraynrand, your post are being ignored. Any snarky comments, vulgar remarks, and/or schoolyard challenges are being IGNORED.

You can now spend more time playing with your toes. :bang:

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2019, 11:37 PM
What do Rand and RashanGary and I all agree on? Take a guess, Radagast hahahahahaha.

Radagast
09-10-2019, 12:19 AM
What do Rand and RashanGary and I all agree on? Take a guess, Radagast hahahahahaha.

No problems mate, everyone knows about you and I know even more than most. :)

Iron Mike
09-10-2019, 01:14 AM
Za'Darius Smith vs. Bears 9/5/19 = 7 QB pressures

Entire Packers Defense, 2 games vs. Bears 2018 = 9 QB pressures

Gutekunst gets an A+

Anti-Polar Bear
09-10-2019, 01:19 AM

Gutekunst gets an A+

But, but, but....free agency is shit and draft and develop is the bomb!

mraynrand
09-10-2019, 06:26 AM
mraynrand, your post are being ignored. Any snarky comments, vulgar remarks, and/or schoolyard challenges are being IGNORED.

Strange post

Joemailman
09-10-2019, 06:43 AM

You can now spend more time playing with your toes. :bang:

Excellent job of ignoring mraynrand.

MadScientist
09-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Gutekunst gets an A+

According to PFF he was credited with 10.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/09/zadarius-smith-sets-career-high-in-pressures-in-packers-debut/
Not sure if they had a different total for last years inept defensive showings against the Bears.

run pMc
09-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Excellent job of ignoring mraynrand.

There are days when I'm unsure if Radagast is really a twelve year old, or some college kid's AI chatbot project.

gbgary
09-10-2019, 10:13 AM

I say the O earned a D.

agreed. the Packers did nothing on O but got a win. whodathunkit?!

George Cumby
09-10-2019, 10:26 AM

“As you've changed your "handle", why not change your avatar as well.”

Your failure to use a question mark results in your “suggestion” being an imperative. Learn to punctuate, you loon.

RashanGary
09-10-2019, 10:42 AM
I’ve been around you crazy bastards for 15 years. We’re all becoming grumpy old men :lol:

Packers beat defending division champs.... not much to bitch about.... bitch at each other.

George Cumby
09-10-2019, 11:01 AM
A mans gotta have a hobby.

mraynrand
09-10-2019, 11:52 AM
A mans gotta have a hobby?

FIFY, you ruddy bastard!?

George Cumby
09-10-2019, 12:38 PM
lol

Upnorth
09-10-2019, 03:17 PM
FWIW grumpy old men was one heck of a funny show. It was full of knee slappers and rib ticklers. The Bees knees