PDA

View Full Version : JUDGING QUARTERBACKS

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Each to his own way of thinking, but I tend to judge QBs by how similar they are to Aaron Rodgers. If a guy has a well above average arm, then the thing I really value is mobility - that and most of all, the good sense not to throw into coverage. Brady, of course, is great, maybe second only to our GOAT. The team around Brady, though, makes him seem better than he is. Everybody seems to love Brees (me not so much hahahahahaha). Mahomes, honestly I haven't seen enough of, but obviously, he's right up there. I have praised Trubisky to a limited extent - not to imply he deserves mention in the same breath as the four above or even the four below.

The three I really have a high opinion of (not necessarily 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best), though, based on my own criterion stated above, are Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, and Lamar Jackson. You can have people like Rivers, Cousins, Ryan, Eli, Stafford, etc.

RashanGary
09-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Mobility don’t mean shit if a guy doesn’t have a knack for making things happen. AR has had huge games hobbled. He seems to play better hobbled. The mobility is a bonus. AR is great without it. Take away his mind and arm and the mobility don’t mean shit.

mraynrand
09-09-2019, 10:37 PM
I judge QBs based on success at Jeopardy and color of their crocs.

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2019, 10:39 PM
Your last line is very true, RG, but he's played with a fair degree of mobility even "hobbled".

Non-mobile QBs like Brady, Cousins, to some extent Brees, Rivers, etc. would find it hard to survive much less thrive on a team with an O Line like the Packers.

Zool
09-09-2019, 11:01 PM
QBs are either accurate in college or they aren’t. They don’t magically become more accurate. Jameis Winston can throw the ball 80 yards, but he still hits WRs in the feet every game. Flynn had a noodle but could drop a mid-range throw super accurate. Lots of things you can develop. Accuracy seems to be 1 of the things you can’t.

HarveyWallbangers
09-09-2019, 11:09 PM
The three I really have a high opinion of (not necessarily 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best), though, based on my own criterion stated above, are Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, and Lamar Jackson. You can have people like Rivers, Cousins, Ryan, Eli, Stafford, etc.

Based on your criteria, Carson Wentz should on your list. I can't remember if you are a closet Cowboys fan? Cousins doesn't deserve to be on your list of non-mobile QBs. He has some mobility.

texaspackerbacker
09-09-2019, 11:33 PM
I guess I forgot Wentz and maybe some others too. I disagree to a large degree about Cousins, though. When he played for Washington, he didn't seem to have much mobility or good sense.

And yeah, no closet about it, I've always said the Cowboys are my second favorite NFL team, dating back to before I ever lived in Texas - from the time when the war was on between the NFL and AFL and both put new teams in Dallas. The Houston Texans are my third favorite - mostly because of geography, but also because of J.J. Watt and now Deshaun Watson. To be clear, they are distant favorites behind the Packers, but there's plenty of room for a hierarchy both on the top end and the low end.

run pMc
09-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Arm strength can be improved in the weight room.
Mobility is nice but plenty of pocket passers do fine.

I agree with Zool -- accuracy is important and usually not improved by more than a couple of % points via coaching/fixing mechanics

The other things that I value are

mental processing speed - can a QB go to their 2nd or 3rd read quickly and react fast?
pocket presence/poise - can a QB feel the pass rush, slide over a few feet and deliver a throw with a defenders closing in?

Take a look at Kizer. His accuracy was spotty and often either bolted the pocket too fast or didn't feel the rush at all.
Compare him with Brees. Accurate, can shift around in the pocket, not known as overly mobile. Same thing with Brady. Both can work thru their reads, slide in the pocket when they feel the rush, and deliver a big throw.

gbgary
09-10-2019, 10:22 AM
mobility and arm are things but what's between the ears is number one to me. knowing situations, limits, making the smart play.

RashanGary
09-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Based on your criteria, Carson Wentz should on your list. I can't remember if you are a closet Cowboys fan? Cousins doesn't deserve to be on your list of non-mobile QBs. He has some mobility.

Wentz is good. Good pocket awareness. Underrated skill.