PDA

View Full Version : OK, who wants Minkah Fitzpatrick?

pbmax
09-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Chris Mortensen @mortreport
The Dolphins have granted permission to DB Minkah Fitzpatrick to seek a trade, according to multiple sources who say Miami's asking price is too high. Dolphins have no comment. Story coming with help from
@CameronWolfe

pbmax
09-13-2019, 08:22 AM
They seem to be Micah Hyde-ing him.

Doug Farrar:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEU5eHDUwAA833Z?format=jpg&name=large

red
09-13-2019, 08:23 AM
It sounds like he wants out because he is being forced to play multiple positions

I don’t think he would be happy in green bay

red
09-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Plus there’s the whole thing with no Alabama player other then ILBers ever living up to the hype

pbmax
09-13-2019, 08:27 AM
It sounds like he wants out because he is being forced to play multiple positions

Sort of. He was fine last year. But this year, they imported a bunch of Patriots for the matchup zone D.

PFT:

Fitzpatrick has been unhappy with his current role in the Dolphins defense, which has seen him shuffled from position to position. Additionally, he played on just 48 of Miami’s 77 defensive snaps against Baltimore last weekend.

SudsMcBucky
09-13-2019, 08:28 AM

It actually sounds like he wants out because Miami is a complete train wreck.

pbmax
09-13-2019, 08:30 AM
Deadspin:

Harder to understand is that Fitzpatrick was only on the field for 49 of 77 defensive snaps on Sunday, ninth-most on the team. It’s one thing to use a player out of his preferred role, and another altogether to just...not use him. If you wanted to be suspicious about this, you could also point to the Dolphins’ curious under-usage of some other key players in Week 1, and wonder if this tank job isn’t only being prosecuted by the front office.

pbmax
09-13-2019, 08:36 AM
I can't find it. But basically, with Flores hire and D change, they brought in a bunch of scrubs to play because the know the defense from NE. And that has cost him snaps.

However, he did get quoted saying he was being misplayed at strong safety and, I am guessing, near the LOS. So could be Josh Jones situation.

But genius part is, he would make an excellent slot cover guy AND deep safety. Plus being able to fill in the box.

RashanGary
09-13-2019, 08:50 AM
I can't find it. But basically, with Flores hire and D change, they brought in a bunch of scrubs to play because the know the defense from NE. And that has cost him snaps.

However, he did get quoted saying he was being misplayed at strong safety and, I am guessing, near the LOS. So could be Josh Jones situation.

But genius part is, he would make an excellent slot cover guy AND deep safety. Plus being able to fill in the box.

Hed be a nice piece for us with Tramon moving on at some point soon. But more of a luxury because it would be hard to get him on the field in traditional base. And then some snaps he’d be almost like a linebacker in nickel vs 21 or 12 personnel. Against 11 personnel he’d be a good nickel fit. In dime he’d be a perfect fit.

gbgary
09-13-2019, 09:19 AM
saw he's a FS. we've got that position covered for several years. now if he's a true CB maybe trading king for him would work for the Packers.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2019, 11:18 AM
They have any good, egotistical WR to trade?

bobblehead
09-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Chris Mortensen @mortreport
The Dolphins have granted permission to DB Minkah Fitzpatrick to seek a trade, according to multiple sources who say Miami's asking price is too high. Dolphins have no comment. Story coming with help from
@CameronWolfe

He was a top 11 pick and had a pretty good rookie year. I think if you can land him for a 2nd its worth it. As JH said, Tramon is nearing the end and King is only healthy for all of a half games worth of snaps so far. I think winning cures a lot of ills and he would be a good fit at a bargain price. You won't land a player of his talent in the 2nd next year so its a no brainer if he can be had for that.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2019, 11:47 AM
He was a top 11 pick and had a pretty good rookie year. I think if you can land him for a 2nd its worth it. As JH said, Tramon is nearing the end and King is only healthy for all of a half games worth of snaps so far. I think winning cures a lot of ills and he would be a good fit at a bargain price. You won't land a player of his talent in the 2nd next year so its a no brainer if he can be had for that.

Fritz would certainly be a titanic upgrade over Raven Greene.

A 1st for Fritz and Amendola. Wait, Amendola is with the Lions now? Fuck!

texaspackerbacker
09-13-2019, 12:13 PM
I'll just settle for Tony Brown and keep whatever Miami wants in trade.

Fritz
09-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Fritz would certainly be a titanic upgrade over Raven Greene.

A 1st for Fritz and Amendola. Wait, Amendola is with the Lions now? Fuck!

I see that my value to this board is recognized; however, I'd like to finish my career here.

I really don't know Fitzpatrick, but if he could play the slot and be a third safety, that could be worth a second rounder. Guy's still on his rookie contract, so you'd have young, developing talent on the cheap for what, nearly three years?

That way, when King gets hurt, you could shift Tramon outside and still have some depth.

But like I said, I don't really know much about Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm interested in what others have to say.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-13-2019, 01:03 PM
I see that my value to this board is recognized; however, I'd like to finish my career here.

I really don't know Fitzpatrick, but if he could play the slot and be a third safety, that could be worth a second rounder. Guy's still on his rookie contract, so you'd have young, developing talent on the cheap for what, nearly three years?

That way, when King gets hurt, you could shift Tramon outside and still have some depth.

But like I said, I don't really know much about Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm interested in what others have to say.

Damn IPhone. Autocorrect.

The bigger issue is, Pack have Geronimo “Sloth” Allison in the slot. Amendola had a nice game last week.

Told ya all during the heyday of free agency that the German Shepherd shoulda ponied up for Cole Beasley.

Then I argued for the German Shepherd to draft Metcalf. And Isabella.

RashanGary
09-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Guess Packers are in on the talks. The speed of all the guys back there is intriguing. Especially if you bring Amos up to nickel linebacker. We’re looking at a ton of speed in the back six. Makes it even easier to play those 5 man lines on almost every play.

Alexander 4.37
King 4.43
Fitzpatrick 4.46
Savage 4.36

Amos 4.55
Martinez 4.71

Martinez and Amos are the slower ones, but Martinez plays faster with his instincts and experience and so does Amos. On base downs, we could play Amos at linebacker. Then against 11 personnel, Amos can move back to safety and Fitzpatrick would cover slot.

I think we’d be the fastest secondary in the league.

Fritz
09-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Guess Packers are in on the talks. The speed of all the guys back there is intriguing. Especially if you bring Amos up to nickel linebacker. We’re looking at a ton of speed on the back six. Makes it even easier to play those 5 man lines on almost every play.

You guess they're in or you have a source reporting they are?

RashanGary
09-13-2019, 03:17 PM
You guess they're in or you have a source reporting they are?

Twitter somewhere....

RashanGary
09-13-2019, 03:19 PM
Vegas Gambling Steam (@Pregame_Steam) Tweeted:
Vegas Source: Dolphins asking for 2nd for Minkah Fitzpatrick still might settle for 3rd+

Several Early teams involved:
🔹Steelers
🔹Packers
🔹Broncos
🔹Raiders
🔹Seahawks
🔹Jets

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2019, 03:26 PM
Would you trade Kevin King for Minkah straight up?

Yes. Yes I would.

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2019, 03:28 PM

Yep. AND you get him for a 5th year since he's a #1. So, really, you get him at a discount for only one year less than your 2nd round pick next spring. I'd do it in a second.

hoosier
09-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Vegas Gambling Steam (@Pregame_Steam) Tweeted:
Vegas Source: Dolphins asking for 2nd for Minkah Fitzpatrick still might settle for 3rd+

Several Early teams involved:
��Steelers
��Packers
��Broncos
��Raiders
��Seahawks
��Jets

They might accept a D3 from the RAIDERS, but the Packers are gonna have to dig deep and fork over a 2 because the value of their 3 will closer to a 4 than a 2.

RashanGary
09-13-2019, 04:16 PM

Yes. Yes I would.

I don’t know enough about minkah to say with certainty, but if he’s even close to the player king is, I’d do it in a heartbeat too. King has been injured too often to count on.

gbgary
09-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Yes. Yes I would.

yup. i'd even throw in a draft pick.

red
09-13-2019, 05:47 PM
i would trade king for him

i would also give up a second for him without king

maybe a 3rd or a 4th and king for him

Rastak
09-13-2019, 08:29 PM
I'd like to see the Vikings send a pick to grab this dude. Not likely but we'll see how it plays out. It's like the Sixers only in football with the Fins....

call_me_ishmael
09-13-2019, 08:58 PM
I'd like to see the Vikings send a pick to grab this dude. Not likely but we'll see how it plays out. It's like the Sixers only in football with the Fins....

Tank for two years, grab Lawrence, have N years of success. Not a bad plan at all.

Rastak
09-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Tank for two years, grab Lawrence, have N years of success. Not a bad plan at all.

True, but in football these guys don't buy that shit. Kind of hard to pull off.

Bretsky
09-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Sherry Gary for Micah and a Cheeseburger ?

bobblehead
09-14-2019, 01:15 AM
1) Hell no you don't give up King. King is uber talented in his own right and even though injury prone I don't want to give him up if I can give a 2nd instead.

2) If a 2nd is actually the ask, then make the deal asap. Throw in a 6th to seal it if you have to.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-14-2019, 02:21 AM

3 teams deal!

Queens get: The FitzMagic

Packers get: Hiphop safety Harrison Smith

Fins get: Packers 2nd and Sloth Allison

smuggler
09-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Who else? Many teams, which will price him out of our budget, I think.

bobblehead
09-14-2019, 10:53 AM
This is so easy in my book. We aren't talking about trading for an old and headache Randy Moss, a past his prime Tony Gonzalez. Its not like trading for a cancerous heavily paid Antonio Brown. Its not even like giving up TWO firsts and maybe a bit more (plus a monster contract) to get K Mack.

We are talking about a 2nd year #11 overall pick with several years left on his deal. Uber talented, underpaid (dolphins eat the signing bonus), decent guy who simply wants out of the shit show Miami has become. Several players have asked out of Miami recently, so I don't think he is a problem child here.

Honestly, he is worth our 1st. No way in hell we get a better player where we are likely to pick this year. No way we get said player with the signing bonus already paid. This is a total no Brainer. Ask what it takes to seal it on the phone right now. No leveraging our offer, right now. Then if its a 1st, or a 2nd and 4th make the deal. The team is better without a big cap hit. I can't see the downside unless you believe the kid is a cancer that we aren't seeing from the outside.

edit: This is for you Rand....if he gets traded for someones 2nd I KNOW I'm a better GM than Gutes :)

Patler
09-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Something is strange in this story. If the kid is as talented at multiple positions as they say, is healthy without long term medical concerns, is not a headcase or problem child and is as committed to the game as they say; why is the team shopping him at the start of his second season? If he "proved" himself in his first season, why is he reportedly being offered for less than the team has invested in him, particularly with the dead money impact?

I don't care if the kid wants out, a second year player doesn't really have much power in the relationship; not yet; unless he is willing to put his career on hold and walk out. This would be an odd time to do it. It is even more odd for the team to give in to him this soon in his career, this early in the season, especially if there are others wanting out.

I'm not arguing that GB shouldn't look into the possibility of acquiring him. I just think there is more to the story than we know.

bobblehead
09-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Something is strange in this story. If the kid is as talented at multiple positions as they say, is healthy without long term medical concerns, is not a headcase or problem child and is as committed to the game as they say; why is the team shopping him at the start of his second season? If he "proved" himself in his first season, why is he reportedly being offered for less than the team has invested in him, particularly with the dead money impact?

I don't care if the kid wants out, a second year player doesn't really have much power in the relationship; not yet; unless he is willing to put his career on hold and walk out. This would be an odd time to do it.

I'm not arguing that GB shouldn't look into the possibility of acquiring him. I just think there is more to the story than we know.

I get the instinct, but Miami players have been revolting for a bit now. They are in cataclysmic rebuild mode. They are losing and losing well. The new coach wants to purge all the roster of people who aren't happy there (it seems). I believe Fitz saw a chance to get out and jumped on it. Now...I don't think he is available for a 2nd. And teams hate trading their first (except NE...that should tell you something). He is a very good talent and player. I think its an easy call, but what do I know.

bobblehead
09-14-2019, 11:34 AM
Think BPA. If we pick outside the top 20 are we likely to get a better player than this?

pbmax
09-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Think BPA. If we pick outside the top 20 are we likely to get a better player than this?

Its a decent argument. If he were an ILB, I would endorse the first round pick. Only issue is that he plays a position they are relatively well stocked at.

Maybe he wants a chance to be a WR?

gbgary
09-14-2019, 12:49 PM
i would trade king for him

i would also give up a second for him without king

maybe a 3rd or a 4th and king for him

yup

MadScientist
09-14-2019, 01:16 PM

I don't care if the kid wants out, a second year player doesn't really have much power in the relationship; not yet; unless he is willing to put his career on hold and walk out. This would be an odd time to do it. It is even more odd for the team to give in to him this soon in his career, this early in the season, especially if there are others wanting out.

Miami is going full moneyball. By the time Minkah is ready for contract 2, the Fins won't be ready to compete. So trade him now for good future draft capital and they can get their whole team put together on first contracts and be ready to compete, with plenty of cap space to bring in FA's to fill any holes. They are fine with losing everything this year and maybe next. They still need to do well in the draft, but the overall strategy is sound.

Patler
09-14-2019, 01:34 PM
I get the instinct, but Miami players have been revolting for a bit now. They are in cataclysmic rebuild mode. They are losing and losing well. The new coach wants to purge all the roster of people who aren't happy there (it seems). I believe Fitz saw a chance to get out and jumped on it. Now...I don't think he is available for a 2nd. And teams hate trading their first (except NE...that should tell you something). He is a very good talent and player. I think its an easy call, but what do I know.

Miami is going full moneyball. By the time Minkah is ready for contract 2, the Fins won't be ready to compete. So trade him now for good future draft capital and they can get their whole team put together on first contracts and be ready to compete, with plenty of cap space to bring in FA's to fill any holes. They are fine with losing everything this year and maybe next. They still need to do well in the draft, but the overall strategy is sound.

I get all that, but it doesn't comport with reports that they would trade him for a second round pick. That implies they are anxious to move him. He should be a de-risked player, because he proved last year that he can adapt to the nfl game. He should be worth more than he was worth last year.

Patler
09-14-2019, 01:38 PM
Its a decent argument. If he were an ILB, I would endorse the first round pick. Only issue is that he plays a position they are relatively well stocked at.

Maybe he wants a chance to be a WR?

That's kind of where I'm at. If he expects to be a safety, he is less interesting to me.

Patler
09-14-2019, 01:50 PM
As for the suggestion of trading King, I don't think that will happen. I saw LaFleur and McCarren discussing King's play last week, and LaFleur was very excited about how well King had played. He said the plan had been to limit King to about 20 plays, but he was playing so well they couldn't take him out, and he ended up playing over 40 plays. Said King was a big reason why they were able to do what they did on defense. McCarren said with King being out so much last year, it is easy to forget how very physical he is with WRs, but he showed it against the Bears..

RashanGary
09-14-2019, 02:36 PM
As for the suggestion of trading King, I don't think that will happen. I saw LaFleur and McCarren discussing King's play last week, and LaFleur was very excited about how well King had played. He said the plan had been to limit King to about 20 plays, but he was playing so well they couldn't take him out, and he ended up playing over 40 plays. Said King was a big reason why they were able to do what they did on defense. McCarren said with King being out so much last year, it is easy to forget how very physical he is with WRs, but he showed it against the Bears..

I listened to Rodgers and Adams talk about the DBs earlier in the offseason too. The impression I got was that King was better than Alexander in their opinions.

pbmax
09-14-2019, 03:00 PM
That's kind of where I'm at. If he expects to be a safety, he is less interesting to me.

I could not find it, but there was the suggestion made that Fitzpatrick was losing snaps to Patriot veterans. Which could mean he wasn’t the change to the complex Patriot defense well.

But Doug Farrar pointed out that he played at Alabama (similar D philosophy) and played a great many roles in those (good) defenses.

You can’t rule out he is a bad fit in a complex scheme or that he doesn’t want to play a SS role.

But the Packers and Pettine don’t play that defense and if he’s not going to be asked to be Jones (he isn’t as big) he could be a nice piece.

call_me_ishmael
09-14-2019, 11:50 PM

I don't think it will happen either, but would you make the deal King for Minkah straight up if available?

pbmax
09-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Jason LaCanfora, Dolphins still looking for first round pick.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-likely-to-trade-minkah-fitzpatrick-with-several-teams-interested-but-theres-no-mutiny-in-miami/

According to league sources, roughly 20 teams have reached out to Segal and/or the Dolphins about Fitzpatrick, with the team seeking a future first-round pick for him at this point. The asking price could change depending on the strength of the offers.

This smells like an agent leak and I highly doubt 20 teams are seriously interested.

call_me_ishmael
09-16-2019, 09:34 PM
Wow, the 0-2 Steelers with a hurt quarterback so likely to sorta suck this year traded for Minkah. I am surprised since their top 10 pick holds more value as a future QB to them. That said, it's hard to argue with the Bobble logic of you get this cat under control for 4 years at a cheap rate and he's a stud player where you're unlikely to get a better palyer with the pick.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Wow, the 0-2 Steelers with a hurt quarterback so likely to sorta suck this year traded for Minkah. I am surprised since their top 10 pick holds more value as a future QB to them. That said, it's hard to argue with the Bobble logic of you get this cat under control for 4 years at a cheap rate and he's a stud player where you're unlikely to get a better palyer with the pick.

Pittsburgh's defense is such a mess, they need all the help they can get.

bobblehead
09-17-2019, 08:51 AM

Funny thing is, that of anyone I know (this board included) I was more all in on getting this guy...yet I don't think I would have traded that pick for him unless I truly believed Mason Rudolf is the future.

run pMc
09-17-2019, 11:47 AM
According to Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com, the Dolphins are getting a first-round and fifth-round pick for the 2020 NFL Draft and a sixth-round pick in 2021 from Pittsburgh in exchange for Fitzpatrick, a fourth-round pick in 2020 and a seventh-round pick in 2021

Minkah was the 11th pick. What are the odds PIT's R1 is @11 or lower? Seems like a good trade for MIA to me...they aren't playing him a lot now, plus they basically will get a redo on drafting with an additional high R1 pick.

Teamcheez1
09-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Even if we had offered our 1st round pick, Miami would be better off taking the Steelers. It's unlikely that our pick will be in the top half of the draft, while the Steelers have a great chance of picking in the top 10.

If we were in a parallel situation with Rodgers out for the season, I wouldn't want Gute to trade away our 1st round pick.

run pMc
09-17-2019, 04:38 PM
It's a weird trade, especially when you consider they gave up a 2020 R3 as part of the trade up to get Devin Bush. Is the 2020 draft crop that bad? PIT is 0-2 with an aging starter QB on IR, they are pretty much heading towards needing some major rebuilding and giving up picks is a little iffy. I guess maybe they will have a good defense and... uh... assume Rothlisberger is still gonna be around in 2021? No idea, but they don't look like a threat to the Ravens or (maybe) the Browns.

Fritz
09-18-2019, 10:54 AM

I think the fact that Roethlisberger is out for the year, and is aging, makes this a good point. At 0-2, it's looking like a top-15 pick, which is conceivably new-quarterback territory - you could perhaps move up if you needed to.

The big upside to Pittsburgh is that they have a young guy at cheap cost for three or four more years - and they know already he's a very good NFL player. Even when teams draft high (say, at #12) there's no guarantee the guy your draft is going to be a very good NFL player (rah...rah....rah - raSHAN! Oh, pardon my sneeze!). They know Fitzpatrick is a legit NFL player at a high level. Nonetheless, from this vantage point it looks like Pittsburgh picked up a fine starting safety while gambling that Roethlisberger will be healthy and effective for at least two more years after this one.

bobblehead
09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
They believe Rudolph is the future at QB. They are building a typical past steelers team. Game manager. Strong D. Run hard.

mraynrand
09-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Pittsburgh's defense is such a mess, they need all the help they can get.

Not too strange how a terrible injury to a key player can just decimate a defense. Even though it's still got good parts, they still haven't recovered from losing Shazier. And Bush doesn't replace him; not the same kind of LB. They have a lot to figure out on defense still, and they are a wreck on offense.