PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 2 vs. Minnesota

pbmax
09-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Worse offensive performance of a generation. But the D has a pass rush which is a great deodorant.

I'll take it. First quarter gives some hope for the offense.

We need to track down shotgun offensive numbers for this game. It was horrific.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 03:26 PM
Dr. Zaius hurt his ankle but came back in.

Raven Greene had an ankle and did nt return I do not believe.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 03:26 PM
I think at this point, defenses love to see the shotgun, because they know what's coming. Except now they know Rodgers can't even run the EO. It's EO - rodger's mobility - rodger's accuracy.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Y'all blame the playcalling, Rodgers, LaFluer, whatever.

The truth is, the Packers lack receivers - plural - that can get open consistently.

Pack have Adams and who else? Wankers.

Meanwhile, DK Metcalf had another nice game today.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 03:39 PM
If German Shepherd ain't gonna get 12 another receiving WMD, might as well trade for Melvin Gordon. Pound the rock like it's 1966 with Gordon and Jones.

Then again, the Queens just lost with a horny rushing attack.

Fuck the run. Get 12 more WMDs!

RashanGary
09-15-2019, 03:39 PM
They have to stay calm and keep working on it. They have two more home games before the road chaos throws them off. Now is the time to get this shit cleaned up. I’m gonna keep hoping.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 03:41 PM

The truth is, the Packers lack receivers - plural - that can get open consistently.

Maybe it's just the dominance of the hip hop safety and his pals on defense.

RashanGary
09-15-2019, 03:42 PM
It’s frustrating for me to watch so much good, on time QB play around the league and then watch Rodgers hold the ball. What the flying fuck. The only good thing is he doesn’t turn it over. That’s really helpful.

Joemailman
09-15-2019, 03:44 PM
The biggest difference with Rodgers is that he can't seem to escape the pocket when it starts to collapse. The leg injuries have taken a toll.

RashanGary
One thing Tex is right about, Mitchell trubisky and AR are very similar players.

Zool
Dr. Zaius hurt his ankle but came back in.

Raven Greene had an ankle and did nt return I do not believe.

Greene didn’t come back. I’m betting he got xrays.

Zool
09-15-2019, 03:45 PM
The biggest difference with Rodgers is that he can't seem to escape the pocket when it starts to collapse. The leg injuries have taken a toll.

It doesn’t look like he’s trying until it’s too late. They gotta re-program his brain to move a second earlier.

RashanGary
09-15-2019, 03:46 PM
It doesn’t look like he’s trying until it’s too late. They gotta re-program his brain to move a second earlier.

Or throw the ball like all of the other good quarterbacks

Joemailman
09-15-2019, 03:47 PM
One thing Tex is right about, Mitchell trubisky and AR are very similar players.

None of the NFCN starting QB's are off to a good start this year. So far it's a defense-dominated division.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 03:48 PM

ugh

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Maybe it's just the dominance of the hip hop safety and his pals on defense.

12 had no problems dismantling that same D in '16 when he had Cobbs, Adams, Nelson and Cook.

Adams, Sloth, MVS, seemly washed up Graham ain't a potent aerial attack.

beveaux1
09-15-2019, 03:50 PM
After the first quarter, how many times did Rodgers even attempt to throw the ball to an outside receiver or a TE. I can remember a couple of throws to Allison, one throw to Scandling, and one throw to Graham. He doesn’t throw interceptions, so they have to be very open for him to attempt a throw

They’re either not open, not on his progressions for that play, or...he doesn’t have trust in them.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2019, 03:52 PM
What happened to Homer's postgame show on ESPN radio?
Who is that jackass?

bobblehead
09-15-2019, 03:53 PM
It’s frustrating for me to watch so much good, on time QB play around the league and then watch Rodgers hold the ball. What the flying fuck. The only good thing is he doesn’t turn it over. That’s really helpful.

With ya. He held it too long and was inaccurate when he let fly after the first 11 passes. Even those he wasn't stellar, just had guys wide open a lot. He missed MVS for a TD by underthrowing it again. Was high on another that allowed D to carry him OOB. Rodgers looks bad unless you are watching some bad teams in which case he looks average.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 03:53 PM
They have to stay calm and keep working on it. They have two more home games before the road chaos throws them off. Now is the time to get this shit cleaned up. I’m gonna keep hoping.

For now, I agree. Being in a base offense, under center, threat of the run and then play action is their best bet until to get another weapon functioning.

Long term, they need a WR.

beveaux1
09-15-2019, 03:55 PM
For now, I agree. Being in a base offense, under center, threat of the run and then play action is their best bet until to get another weapon functioning.

Amen.

Joemailman
09-15-2019, 03:55 PM
12 had no problems dismantling that same D in '16 when he had Cobbs, Adams, Nelson and Cook.

It might be time to get back to drafting WR's in the 2nd round.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Gonna have to watch the game again. Rodgers did miss short at least twice. Bobble thought a third.

But given the tentative way Allison and MVS played at times, looked like they need another WR.

channtheman

I agree with this. I don't know who Metcalf is but our receiving corp sucks. One number 1 guy and a bunch of number 4's. Maybe MVS makes a step up but right now he's just OK. Allison is unfortunately useless. I think it was him that ran the 0 yard route on 3rd and 1 and then couldn't squeeze upfield quickly enough to pick up the first down when we went for it on 4th down. I don't even know our other receivers names are except Kumerow, but he must really suck to hardly see the field above any of the other jags we have.

Also, that 4th down going for it was a bad call. We so desperately needed those points and something positive to happen for us at that point in the game and if Cousins doesn't gives us the game with the easy INT at the end, we might have lost because we didn't kick a field goal there.

Harlan Huckleby
What happened to Homer's postgame show on ESPN radio?
Who is that jackass?

JFC. Apparently ESPN requires a premium membership now to hear either the games or postgame radio shows live. "Will be available tomorrow after 3PM."

My world has exploded.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2019, 03:58 PM
Personally, I thought Rodgers played a good game. Some strange (fumbled shotgun snap) and some good defensive plays where Rodgers the pinpoint passes.

beveaux1
09-15-2019, 04:00 PM
I agree with this. I don't know who Metcalf is but our receiving corp sucks. One number 1 guy and a bunch of number 4's. Maybe MVS makes a step up but right now he's just OK. Allison is unfortunately useless. I think it was him that ran the 0 yard route on 3rd and 1 and then couldn't squeeze upfield quickly enough to pick up the first down when we went for it on 4th down. I don't even know our other receivers names are except Kumerow, but he must really suck to hardly see the field above any of the other jags we have.

Also, that 4th down going for it was a bad call. We so desperately needed those points and something positive to happen for us at that point in the game and if Cousins doesn't gives us the game with the easy INT at the end, we might have lost because we didn't kick a field goal there.

This is what I’m seeing, also. It’s early, though.

Gotarace
His Spin move in the pocket turning his back to the play is concerning with his lack of Mobility so far this Season.

Anti-Polar Bear
It might be time to get back to drafting WR's in the 2nd round.

Metcalf and Isabella were available. Took a fuckin center instead.

channtheman
09-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Yup, I'm watching some random backup QB for the Saints -- they just said his name, Bridgewater (former Viking?) -- and I saw a screen pass and then another pass that looked better than any throw from Rodgers I've seen all year. Both Bridgewater's plays got called back for penalties but the throws were on point, accurate, and on time.

beveaux1
09-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Yup, I'm watching some random backup QB for the Saints -- they just said his name, Bridgewater (former Viking?) -- and I saw a screen pass and then another pass that looked better than any throw from Rodgers I've seen all year. Both Bridgewater's plays got called back for penalties but the throws were on point, accurate, and on time.

Best back up QB in the league.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Dk Metcalf. Hotshot rookie WR, Seattle. Off to a good start.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2019, 04:08 PM
JFC. Apparently ESPN requires a premium membership now to hear either the games or postgame radio shows live. "Will be available tomorrow after 3PM."

My world has exploded.

sorry, this is bad intel.
"Pack attack" is on without Homer and his sidekick. It is safe to assume they were suspended for some sort of sexual misconduct.

channtheman
09-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Got it. I agree with your post in the game day thread. We need to get a real NFL WR for Rodgers in addition to Adams. These other guys we have might look OK if two number 1 caliber receivers take all the attention away from them.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Got it. I agree with your post in the game day thread. We need to get a real NFL WR for Rodgers in addition to Adams. These other guys we have might look OK if two number 1 caliber receivers take all the attention away from them.

Well said.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 04:12 PM
sorry, this is bad intel.
"Pack attack" is on without Homer and his sidekick. It is safe to assume they were suspended for some sort of sexual misconduct.

Lol

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 04:17 PM

You probably don't mean the game they lost 17-14. You probably mean the one the Packers won in week 15 against the 7-7 Vikings who lost the previous week to Indy 34-6.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 04:18 PM

How is Wilson playing?

Joemailman
09-15-2019, 04:20 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/darkroom-cdn/2017/02/AFP-Getty_BRITAIN-TRADITION-VIKING-13.jpg

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 04:20 PM
^^^ always good to see

Anti-Polar Bear
09-15-2019, 04:28 PM
How is Wilson playing?

Mahommes won MVP, and KC still drafted Mecole Hardman a few picks after Gutekunst took the fucking center.

Rodgers struggled in 18 with wanker wrs and Pack took a fucking center.

Remember Rodgers famous quick release when he had multiple NFL WRs that could get open? Problem ain't Rodgers. Problem is the lack of kung fu at WR.

Allison is the suckiest slot guy in the NFL.

Rastak
09-15-2019, 04:39 PM
^^^ always good to see

Enjoy it while you can. It's the last time you'll see it this year!

:-)

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2019, 04:51 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/darkroom-cdn/2017/02/AFP-Getty_BRITAIN-TRADITION-VIKING-13.jpg

raping and pillaging has consequences

Rutnstrut
09-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Mahommes won MVP, and KC still drafted Mecole Hardman a few picks after Gutekunst took the fucking center.

Rodgers struggled in 18 with wanker wrs and Pack took a fucking center.

Remember Rodgers famous quick release when he had multiple NFL WRs that could get open? Problem ain't Rodgers. Problem is the lack of kung fu at WR.

Allison is the suckiest slot guy in the NFL.

Better WR's would help cover up some of his stinky throws. But it isn't going to fix what has been ailing him for the last year or so. Great QB's make mediocre WR's good/great. Rodgers is not elevating anyone's play right now.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Personally, I thought Rodgers played a good game. Some strange (fumbled shotgun snap) and some good defensive plays where Rodgers the pinpoint passes.

Threw short to Jones on that wheel route late. 1-2 feet farther its a long pass play. .5 foot farther its a key first down.

Threw short to MVS on possible TD (this one is bobble's (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?31064-More-Banjo-Week-2-vs-Minnesota&p=1021457&viewfull=1#post1021457), I don't remember it)

High pass on sideline got the WR pushed OOB.

He had another pass for a completion on his left that would have gone for much more if in stride. First half I believe.

Shotgun offense was a complete mess.

Unlike last week, the LaFleur offense looked like it outclassed Rodgers.

RashanGary
09-15-2019, 05:12 PM
Rodgers has a good first quarter and before the half was over he was already throwing a fit at Lafleur when he came off the field. He’s pissed off because he’s not calling the plays. He wants to run the whole show. Same as when he doesn’t want joint practices becsuse he doesn’t like how it affects him but doesn’t consider the other 89 guys... AR is self centered as fuck. He wants his way like a baby.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Rodgers PC

"Why the discrepancy between first three drives and rest of game"
They made some adjustments and we did as well but did not execute. Had some chances at some stuff. They tightened up. They made some plays on contested balls. 3 or 4 opportunities ... Marquez got carried out of bounds... Davante had one on sideline... Jonesy had one on sideline, I under threw that one... GMo trying to get extra yards might have cost us points...

My bonehead play there took away some points as well.

"What did you see?"

I looked over at Carl Johnson, the line judge and it looked like a positive mis-spot for us and a first down. Under 2 minutes, its a booth review call. So I wanted to get us on the ball. I don't know what happened when the ball came into the middle, but I assumed first down. Bad play by me.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT PLAY HE IS DESCRIBING. THE JAMAAL WILLIAMS RUN ON FOURTH DOWN? HE LATER SAID IT WAS A RUN UNDER 2 MINUTES IN THEIR TERRITORY, SO HAS TO BE I THINK

"Did the quick start have anything to do with the wristband?"

Yeah, its probably the wordiest offense I've been in since Cal. At Cal, we would signal from the sideline, and if it took 7 signals or more, it would go on the wristband. I think it helps with the communication so he doesn't have to say 12 syllables to me, then 12 syllables in the huddle, it helps speed things up a little bit. But we didn't use it a whole lot. Probably 5 or 6 times.

I liked the tempo, liked mixing it up, personnel and tempo. One time we had 12 guys in the huddle. Aaron Jones had a great game, offensive line was opening holes and he was pressing his aiming point and did a nice job cutting back. They gotta a hell of a back on that side as well, but I thought Aaron had a really good game.

"What has impressed you about the defense?"
We put them in a couple tough spots the last two weeks, that's why I was proud of our guys getting a couple of first downs on that last drive. And then another game winning punt for JK. Kevin with a big pick in the end zone, Preston with the deflection pick, the ball was out a number of times. That is what, when we have been at our best, we have been opportunistic turnover machine type of defense and its shaping up that way for those guys.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 05:31 PM
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/09/15/heres-how-experts-saw-offensive-pass-interference-call-vikings-against-packers/2336581001/

TV UMPS SAY TEAMS WERE WARNED IN PRESEASON THAT PICK PLAYS WERE REVIEWABLE NOW, ESPECIALLY ON SCORING PLAYS (AUTOMATIC REVIEW)

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Enjoy it while you can. It's the last time you'll see it this year!

:-)

It's always tougher in the dome

Rastak
09-15-2019, 05:37 PM
It's always tougher in the dome

The glass castle.

Joemailman
09-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Rodgers PC

They made some adjustments and we did as well but did not execute. Had some chances at some stuff. They tightened up. They made some plays on contested balls. 3 or 4 opportunities ... Marquez got carried out of bounds... Davante had one on sideline... Jonesy had one on sideline, I under threw that one... GMo trying to get extra yards might have cost us points...

"What did you see?"

I looked over at Carl Johnson, the line judge and it looked like a positive mis-spot for us and a first down. Under 2 minutes, its a booth review call. So I wanted to get us on the ball. I don't know what happened when the ball came into the middle, but I assumed first down. Bad play by me.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT PLAY HE IS DESCRIBING. THE JAMAAL WILLIAMS RUN ON FOURTH DOWN? HE LATER SAID IT WAS A RUN UNDER 2 MINUTES IN THEIR TERRITORY, SO HAS TO BE I THINK

Yes. It was the 4th down play.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 05:44 PM
The glass castle.

I'm never calling it that. :)

RashanGary
09-15-2019, 05:47 PM
The glass castle.

It is an upgrade from the toilet bowl but I wouldn’t call it a glass castle

Rastak
09-15-2019, 05:51 PM
It is an upgrade from the toilet bowl but I wouldn’t call it a glass castle

Well, I agree it's not a high class stadium in a billion dollar industry with fucking bleachers....

;-)

Cheesehead Craig
09-15-2019, 05:51 PM
I sit across from it everyday at work. Much more Star Wars sandcrawler than glass castle.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Yes. It was the 4th down play.

I thought it was the play by Allison where Rodgers thought he got the first and ran the "First down" play so they couldn't review the spot. But the refs had it as fourth down, and the packers blew a great chance to go up 24-7.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 05:54 PM
I sit across from it everyday at work. Much more Star Wars sandcrawler than glass castle.

Sandcrawler, yep.

edit: Filthy Jawas!

pbmax
09-15-2019, 05:58 PM
I thought it was the play by Allison where Rodgers thought he got the first and ran the "First down" play so they couldn't review the spot. But the refs had it as fourth down, and the packers blew a great chance to go up 24-7.

Yes, Allison was 3rd down I think. The Williams run then was for -2 on the fourth.

Teamcheez1
09-15-2019, 06:02 PM
If the Packers offenses can improve enough to put up 28+ points a game, coupled with their defense, they will win a lot of games.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Apparently they are a tag team for interviews this year. Packers present Smith and Smith

https://twitter.com/packers/status/1173387296021913601

pbmax
09-15-2019, 07:11 PM
If the Packers offenses can improve enough to put up 28+ points a game, coupled with their defense, they will win a lot of games.

I can find no fault with your logic.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 07:13 PM
Question: What does the 2 play call look like for 3rd and long?

On other downs, earlier or shorter, pass/run, it can be the same. What about a well defensed 3rd and long look? What is the call?

pbmax
09-15-2019, 07:14 PM
His thumbs are working and his phone is charged:

Raven Greene @RaayGreene
Thanks for the well wishes, prayers, and messages of concern. Love this team! 2️⃣-0️⃣ #GoPackGo #TMC

pbmax
09-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Jim Trotter @JimTrotter_NFL
Pro Football Focus offered this as context for Cousins’ INT on 1st-&-goal from 8: “From the opponents’ 10-yard line and in, Cousins ranks 27th out of 27 qualifying QBs in passer rating (76.5) since 2017, completing 44.6 percent of his passes w/ lowest yards per attempt avg (1.6)

Rastak
09-15-2019, 07:25 PM
Jim Trotter @JimTrotter_NFL
Pro Football Focus offered this as context for Cousins’ INT on 1st-&-goal from 8: “From the opponents’ 10-yard line and in, Cousins ranks 27th out of 27 qualifying QBs in passer rating (76.5) since 2017, completing 44.6 percent of his passes w/ lowest yards per attempt avg (1.6)

I was chatting with a friend I hadn't seen in MANY years but from what I did see watching the game, he was NOT GOOD.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 07:31 PM
I was chatting with a friend I hadn't seen in MANY years but from what I did see watching the game, he was NOT GOOD.

That late INT was such an unforced error. The Packer D was tired and on it's heels a bit. Bad play call, and bad decision by Cousins.

Gotarace
09-15-2019, 07:32 PM
The Packer should have had a Minimum of 4 interceptions...he looks real gun shy with any pressure applied. Clean pocket he looks like a world beater.

mraynrand
09-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Nice matchup between the Running Backs. Difference was that long TD run.

Cook
A Yds TD Rec Yds
20 154 1 3 37

Jones
A Yds TD Rec Yds
23 116 1 4 34

run pMc
09-15-2019, 08:17 PM

I agree with this, and there's still the possibility one of the youngsters will pan out, but I can't help but think isn't that why they have Graham -- to play a de facto vet WR role?

Rastak
09-15-2019, 08:21 PM
The Packer should have had a Minimum of 4 interceptions...he looks real gun shy with any pressure applied. Clean pocket he looks like a world beater.

World beater might be a stretch but yea, you are mostly correct.

pbmax
09-15-2019, 08:23 PM
I agree with this, and there's still the possibility one of the youngsters will pan out, but I can't help but think isn't that why they have Graham -- to play a de facto vet WR role?

I suspect Rodgers wants options to match defenses. But his alternates are either young (MVS, ESB), old (Graham, Lewis) or buried on the depth chart (Kumerow). Plus a new offense with a new focus on the run. Vikes just bracketed Adams.

So how much of his offense is out there? Hard to say. LaFleur has definitely agreed to put him in shotgun quite a bit. But that hasn't been a good option so far though I have not lost hope there, because Williams has run out of it OK.

I think they need to run the base and just add in bits as they go.

However, I do think its a good question what the heck their plan is on 3rd and short because its been problematic. Also, what is the plan on 3rd and long because shotgun has issues too.

Everyone suggested 6 weeks to figure it out and that might be exactly true.

RashanGary
09-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Well, I agree it's not a high class stadium in a billion dollar industry with fucking bleachers....

;-)

Salty

You can refer to our palace as “The Legendary Lambeau Field”

Rastak
09-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Salty

You can refer to our palace as “The Legendary Lambeau Field”

It is legendary, I grant you that.

bobblehead
09-15-2019, 09:34 PM
His thumbs are working and his phone is charged:

Raven Greene @RaayGreene
Thanks for the well wishes, prayers, and messages of concern. Love this team! 2️⃣-0️⃣ #GoPackGo #TMC

PS...you don't need to be trading for Minkah, I'll be back I promise....

Bretsky
09-15-2019, 09:42 PM
I was really down for this signing; but I'll say the obvious

Right now Jimmy Graham Sucks; he can't get open. He's not fast enough and he doesn't run good enough patterns. We are short a weapon on offense. Allison is not a #2. MVS and the other WR's need time to develop.

The HOCK was the prefect first round draft pick but he was gone so we got stuck with Shary

And AROD has to lead Aaron Jones on that pass. That should have been a TD and then it would have been game over.

Instead it took Viking incompetence to sneak out a win where the offense sleepwalked through the entire second half

channtheman
09-15-2019, 09:55 PM
I was really down for this signing; but I'll say the obvious

Right now Jimmy Graham Sucks; he can't get open. He's not fast enough and he doesn't run good enough patterns. We are short a weapon on offense. Allison is not a #2. MVS and the other WR's need time to develop.

The HOCK was the prefect first round draft pick but he was gone so we got stuck with Shary

And AROD has to lead Aaron Jones on that pass. That should have been a TD and then it would have been game over.

Instead it took Viking incompetence to sneak out a win where the offense sleepwalked through the entire second half

Yes on the Arod throw.

Edit: And I agree about Graham too. I really liked the signing and had high hopes, but he's been a total dud for us.

George Cumby
09-15-2019, 10:49 PM
Sandcrawler, yep.

edit: Filthy Jawas!

Can't abide those creatures. Vikings or Jawas.

Rutnstrut
09-16-2019, 12:01 AM
I would actually rather see Lewis get more snaps than Graham. Lewis is at least a decent blocker.

pbmax
09-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Ryan Clark @Realrclark25
Darnell Savage reminds me of a young Earl Thomas. I’m nervous to say this because E will be a HOFamer but this kid can flat out go

I *think* this is actually Ryan Clark, former Steelers safety. Running mate with Polamalu.

pbmax
09-16-2019, 08:21 AM
Some film on JA and Savage.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1173581111450046464

pbmax
09-16-2019, 08:21 AM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI
Not only was Raven Greene injured today but Darnell Savage walked out of the locker room in a boot. Could be merely precautionary - who knows.

mraynrand
09-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Ryan Clark @Realrclark25
Darnell Savage reminds me of a young Earl Thomas. I’m nervous to say this because E will be a HOFamer but this kid can flat out go

I *think* this is actually Ryan Clark, former Steelers safety. Running mate with Polamalu.

The number is correct

pbmax
09-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Kalyn Kahler @kalynkahler
Vikings were 1st team to have a TD cancelled bc of the new replay review on PI. Dalvin Cook was called for OPI for "clear & obvious" contact on S Darnell Savage while ball was still in air.
Savage's suggestion: "I mean, you could run the actual route."

I like this kid.

mraynrand
09-16-2019, 08:26 AM
Some film on JA and Savage.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1173581111450046464

Guided Missile™! Don't like to see the boot. That's like having the lid locked on the missile launch tube.

mraynrand
09-16-2019, 08:28 AM
Kalyn Kahler @kalynkahler
Vikings were 1st team to have a TD cancelled bc of the new replay review on PI. Dalvin Cook was called for OPI for "clear & obvious" contact on S Darnell Savage while ball was still in air.
Savage's suggestion: "I mean, you could run the actual route."

I like this kid.

Guided Missile™ Savage has the most updated tracking systems. He knows defective software when he sees it.

call_me_ishmael
09-16-2019, 08:29 AM
1. If Rashan Gary misses, Darnell Savage is gonna make it okay. He looks like a star in the making.

2. Dalvin Cook is really good. Aaron Jones is really good.

3. The NFC looks stacked this year. All three teams in the NFCN look legit, and Seattle, Dallas looks even better. How is Dallas going to pay everybody? Talk about a first world problem. They built too good of a roster, lol.

4. Remember when people would say sprinters and speedsters didn't really have a role in the league outside of deep routes? Y'all think these homies ever played Madden? It seems like every week there is a huge play broken by somebody just outrunning everybody with 4.3 speed. Route running is important, but I think a team has a huge advantage if they have at least one 4.2, 4.3 guy that can just explode. Packers should bring in Theodore Ginn for a look.

pbmax
09-16-2019, 10:00 AM
@BillHuberSI

Few snap-count notes:
Amos: all 65 on D and 9 on ST
Goodson: 38 on D, 16 on ST
More D: King 64, Clark 56, Williams just 21.
Offense (of 74): Adams 71, MVS 65, Taylor 56 (Jenkins 18), Jones 43, Williams 35.

pbmax
09-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Defense
Rashan Gary: 14 of 65
Kyler Fackrell: 21 of 65

Special Teams
Gary 4 of 29
Fackrell 25 of 29

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/57920/GB_Gamebook.pdf

mraynrand
09-16-2019, 10:17 AM
@BillHuberSI

Few snap-count notes:
Amos: all 65 on D and 9 on ST
Goodson: 38 on D, 16 on ST
More D: King 64, Clark 56, Williams just 21.
Offense (of 74): Adams 71, MVS 65, Taylor 56 (Jenkins 18), Jones 43, Williams 35.

That's quite a drop for Williams. It seems smart. He's lost speed and if they want him around for the season, he can't play every snap like last year. Also, more importantly, they have better cover guys than him and Minnesota doesn't really have depth at WR. More concerned about Cook running by him (or anyone else), the TE, than covering a slot guy.

I was disappointed to see Davis only got 4 snaps and no targets.

Worst decision of entire game might have been Graham blocking Hunter straight up, but Rodgers running that fourth down as a quick first down is right up there.

pbmax
09-16-2019, 10:51 AM
I can't watch plays like this and think Rodgers is done physically. His speed to the outside seems a bit better this year. Being healthy probably the biggest factor.

https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/1173495280148393984

Fritz
09-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Rodgers PC

"What did you see?"

"Did the quick start have anything to do with the wristband?"

Yeah, its probably the wordiest offense I've been in since Cal. At Cal, we would signal from the sideline, and if it took 7 signals or more, it would go on the wristband. I think it helps with the communication so he doesn't have to say 12 syllables to me, then 12 syllables in the huddle, it helps speed things up a little bit. But we didn't use it a whole lot. Probably 5 or 6 times.

I liked the tempo, liked mixing it up, personnel and tempo. One time we had 12 guys in the huddle. Aaron Jones had a great game, offensive line was opening holes and he was pressing his aiming point and did a nice job cutting back. They gotta a hell of a back on that side as well, but I thought Aaron had a really good game.

"What has impressed you about the defense?"
We put them in a couple tough spots the last two weeks, that's why I was proud of our guys getting a couple of first downs on that last drive. And then another game winning punt for JK. Kevin with a big pick in the end zone, Preston with the deflection pick, the ball was out a number of times. That is what, when we have been at our best, we have been opportunistic turnover machine type of defense and its shaping up that way for those guys.

I wanted to chime in on Geronimo Allison's play - well, three of them.

- that was a nice touchdown catch. Rodgers really put some mustard on it, but it was not a great placement, so Allison had to twist back around to get both hands on the ball - but he did.

- I was very disappointed in how he handled that third down short pass from Rodgers at the end of the first half. Clearly, the idea is that with his size, Allison can make that catch and bull forward for the yard needed. But he caught the ball and stood straight up, which allowed the tackler to drive him back in his chest. If Allison gets low and bulls forward, he gets that one yard. Come on, dude. Use your size.

- I think his fumble on the reception down around the Minny 25 yard line nearly cost the Packers the game. That would've ended up, probably, in some kind of score, and more time off the clock. And he was not necessarily trying to just get more yards. He just didn't secure the ball. Big turnover which, due to the victory, is not getting much play.

Is it time to give Kumerow or Davis a shot at playing the slot?

mraynrand
09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
I can't watch plays like this and think Rodgers is done physically. His speed to the outside seems a bit better this year. Being healthy probably the biggest factor.

that pass was behind Adams. :) ;)

pbmax
09-16-2019, 10:56 AM
Andrew Perloff @andrewperloff
"Every passing touchdown is going to be subject to looking all over the field to see if there's a grab or a push-off. ... We really don't know what's clear and obvious." - Tony Dungy doesn't like pass interference reviews (@dpshow)

I am less worried about clear and obvious (basically because EVERY review has this problem) but I am wondering why each individual on the field is under review?

Is it because the League (probably correctly) assumes that if you review a scoring play its going to make news, get play on social media and everyone will scream if you let an illegal play slide by?

Because I think that is the likeliest answer. Even if the League is not often accused of looking ahead.

run pMc
09-16-2019, 11:30 AM

He had a couple of really good throws yesterday...this was one of them. He also had a couple of bad throws that I think are footwork or rust related. He's still pretty good, but he's at a point in his career where he needs a good defense, etc. if they want to go deep into the post-season.
For just this season, would you take Mahomes or Rodgers as your QB?

pbmax
09-16-2019, 11:49 AM
He had a couple of really good throws yesterday...this was one of them. He also had a couple of bad throws that I think are footwork or rust related. He's still pretty good, but he's at a point in his career where he needs a good defense, etc. if they want to go deep into the post-season.
For just this season, would you take Mahomes or Rodgers as your QB?

Mahomes, but that's almost unfair. Mahomes is still very young.

Problem isn't Mahomes, its the lack of a good, developmental backup.

pittstang5
09-16-2019, 12:12 PM
Bill Huber @BillHuberSI
Not only was Raven Greene injured today but Darnell Savage walked out of the locker room in a boot. Could be merely precautionary - who knows.

Sounds like he was kicked in the shin on the final play of the game.

https://clutchpoints.com/packers-news-darnell-savage-in-walking-boot-but-injury-not-believed-to-be-serious/

pbmax
09-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Yep.

@JimOwczarski
#Packers rookie Darnell Savage Jr. was kicked in the right shin against the #Vikings so the postgame walking boot was a precautionary measure overnight. Source indicates he’s fine. The 1st round pick has made his presence known in two short weeks.

hoosier
09-16-2019, 12:57 PM
So far this season is shaping up to be a healthy one. The back spasms are subsiding with rest, the concerning post game images are turning out to be precautionary. Eventually someone is going to get a kneecap broken by a foul ball but for the moment I am enjoying the two straight games with no season ending IR and no "day to day" injuries that turn into six weeks on the shelf. There is no jinx to be worried about here, we all know it will come to an end whether we talk about it (NO INJURIES!!!!!) or not (....).

pbmax
09-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Steve Palazzolo @PFF_Steve
Highest percentage, uncatchable passes on targets in 1-20-yard range in 2018:

1. Josh Rosen 27.9%
2. Lamar Jackson 25.6
3. Mitchell Trubisky 24.2
4. Josh Allen 23.8
5. Jameis Winston 22.2
6. Blake Bortles 20.3
6. Ben Roethlisberger 20.3
8. Sam Darnold 20.0
9. Marcus Mariota 19.9

channtheman
09-16-2019, 01:34 PM
Would anyone have predicted we are 2-0 if we knew beforehand the offense would average 15.5 points in the first 2 games?

RashanGary
09-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Yep.

@JimOwczarski
#Packers rookie Darnell Savage Jr. was kicked in the right shin against the #Vikings so the postgame walking boot was a precautionary measure overnight. Source indicates he’s fine. The 1st round pick has made his presence known in two short weeks.

Good. Really don’t want to lose this guy. Wonder if they can design a shin protector that wouldn’t restrict movement and would help the bruise from getting aggravated.

pbmax
09-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
The #Packers did indeed vote on season-long captains for each phase. They will also have rotating game captains.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

@BillHuberSI
LaFleur took the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Diggs' TD to make sure the Vikings didn't go for two to potentially cut score to 21-18.

@BillHuberSI
LaFleur will only say that Raven Greene won't play against Denver on Sunday.

@BillHuberSI
Lane Taylor "stepped up" this week compared to Chicago and Jenkins played well, too, LaFleur says to close his press conference.

red
09-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Good. Really don’t want to lose this guy. Wonder if they can design a shin protector that wouldn’t restrict movement and would help the bruise from getting aggravated.

you mean something like what they wear in futball?

pbmax
09-16-2019, 04:04 PM
you mean something like what they wear in futball?

Here are the Dolphins gearing up for practice:

https://10bestranked.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Soccer-Shin-Guards-300x243.jpg

Carolina_Packer
09-16-2019, 04:39 PM

It looks like Lewis (or whoever was lined to the left of Bakhtiari) whiffed badly to allow that kind of penetration by Griffen, and if Jimmy Graham had noticed Griffen crashing through as he was coming in motion to the left, he might have been able to re-route or get in Griffen's way to provide more time for Rodgers as he was rolling out. That said, he made a nice throw under duress.

pittstang5
09-16-2019, 04:58 PM
Jim Owczarski @JimOwczarski
The #Packers did indeed vote on season-long captains for each phase. They will also have rotating game captains.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

@BillHuberSI
LaFleur took the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the Diggs' TD to make sure the Vikings didn't go for two to potentially cut score to 21-18.

@BillHuberSI
LaFleur will only say that Raven Greene won't play against Denver on Sunday.

@BillHuberSI
Lane Taylor "stepped up" this week compared to Chicago and Jenkins played well, too, LaFleur says to close his press conference.

Thought I read somewhere Greene was put on season ending IR

pbmax
09-16-2019, 05:00 PM
This is ridiculous. One Captain. 3 during the playoffs. They aren't signing a treaty.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EEncesJWsAEwGq4?format=jpg&name=large

pbmax
09-16-2019, 05:02 PM
@packers
The #Packers voted @AaronRodgers12, @TheRealZSmith & @crosbykicks2 permanent team captains for the season.

Three additional, rotating captains will be chosen on a weekly basis.

red
09-16-2019, 10:29 PM
@packers
The #Packers voted @AaronRodgers12, @TheRealZSmith & @crosbykicks2 permanent team captains for the season.

Three additional, rotating captains will be chosen on a weekly basis.

pretty impressive that the players have so much respect for a guy who had never played a down for the team before making him the season long captain along side 2 guys who have been here forever

guys gotta have some pretty impressive leadership abilities

Fritz
09-17-2019, 04:55 AM
pretty impressive that the players have so much respect for a guy who had never played a down for the team before making him the season long captain along side 2 guys who have been here forever

guys gotta have some pretty impressive leadership abilities

What's even more impressive is having half the team trotting across the field for the coin toss.

What is this, peewee league, where every kid's a winner and no one goes home without a trophy?

bobblehead
09-17-2019, 09:04 AM
Highest percentage, uncatchable passes on targets in 1-20-yard range in 2018:

1. Josh Rosen 27.9%
2. Lamar Jackson 25.6
3. Mitchell Trubisky 24.2
4. Josh Allen 23.8
5. Jameis Winston 22.2
6. Blake Bortles 20.3
6. Ben Roethlisberger 20.3
8. Sam Darnold 20.0
9. Marcus Mariota 19.9

Wow...if you asked me to make a top 10 list I would have nailed 8 of those names...Big Ben surprises me.

pbmax
09-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Wow...if you asked me to make a top 10 list I would have nailed 8 of those names...Big Ben surprises me.

Here are this year's numbers.

Highest percentage of uncatchable passes through two weeks:

Cam Newton 34.2%
Mitchell Trubisky 27.8
Ryan Fitzpatrick 27.3
Kirk Cousins 27.0
Kyler Murray 22.9
Matthew Stafford 22.9

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2019, 09:55 AM
I didn't get much chance to post - grandson's wedding and a lot of relatives in town over the weekend and yesterday.

What I saw in the game was pretty much normalcy early - Aaron Rodgers and a pass first attack setting up a surprisingly decent running game for most of the first half. Some play calling blunders late in the half kept the Packers from scoring more and let the Vikings back in the game. In the second half, LaFleur seemed to play McCarthy football - playing not to lose. I can't criticize that too much, because after all, we didn't lose. As good as Aaron Jones was, we ran the ball too much.

The bright spot, as always, was no interceptions. Arguably their QB putting it up for grabs and ours playing smart was the difference. All around the league, I saw QBs stupidly throwing into traffic - sometimes getting away with it, sometimes not. Despite this "new offense" crap, I'm so thankful that our guy doesn't do that.

Our D wasn't quite as good as it was the first week. Maybe their O Line played better (I thought it wasn't supposed to be very good), but for whatever reason, we didn't get the pass rush pressure I was hoping for. As somebody said, it looked like Martinez blew it on that long run, but clearly, he wasn't the only one. Still, Martinez was way more good than bad. The guy they picked up from the Jets, Goodson looked like crap. Summers was better. Kevin King continues to be excellent - a lot better than I remember even when he was healthy last year. Hopefully he stays healthy.

call_me_ishmael
09-17-2019, 10:41 AM
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1173984732742397952

Everybody in here writes off Buluga Whale and how this is his last year. I highly doubt that unless he gets another big injury. 30 ain't 34.

mraynrand
09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Sure, he can play. It’s just he’s injury prone! He has the proverbial glass knee.

SMBASS
09-17-2019, 12:18 PM
https://twitter.com/TheoAsh1/status/1173465878265880576

Anti-Polar Bear's man crush hip-hop safety Harrison Smith getting crunched by Aaron Jones. Dude's looking for a hole to crawl into after Jones popped him.

pbmax
09-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Anti-Polar Bear's man crush hip-hop safety Harrison Smith getting crunched by Aaron Jones. Dude's looking for a hole to crawl into after Jones popped him.

That was the play Rodgers bailed out of the pocket because he though Jones was going to lose that battle. :lol:

mraynrand
09-17-2019, 01:11 PM

I like how he keeps going after him even after he's down. Jones circles around the lineman to try and shove his face in the ground. l. o. l.

Smidgeon
09-17-2019, 01:31 PM
That was the play Rodgers bailed out of the pocket because he though Jones was going to lose that battle. :lol:

Well, next time Rodgers will have more faith. Well, he should now.

Bretsky
09-17-2019, 07:26 PM
https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1173984732742397952

Everybody in here writes off Buluga Whale and how this is his last year. I highly doubt that unless he gets another big injury. 30 ain't 34.

Not me

He's a great player when healthy. And he's tough as shit and plays injured when possible.

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Bulaga has been surprisingly good this season. Playing when injured, though, is a mixed blessing. Doing that probably has a lot to do with why I and a lot of others have had such a negative impression of him the past several years.

Bretsky
09-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Bulaga has been surprisingly good this season. Playing when injured, though, is a mixed blessing. Doing that probably has a lot to do with why I and a lot of others have had such a negative impression of him the past several years.

Tex, you are one of the biggest homers in general.

How can you say "surprisingly ?

When healthy he's a borderline Pro Bowler. He's our 2nd best OL

Problem is he never lasts the season

texaspackerbacker
09-17-2019, 10:52 PM
I haven't seen much of anything good from Bulaga for several years, maybe because he was playing hurt. Hell yeah, I'm surprised. As for staying healthy, yeah, I suppose that's a long shot. I generally regard injuries as a matter of luck. Some guys, though, seem to be snake bit. It's kinda like flipping a coin, though. If you get 8 or 10 straight "heads", what are the odds of "heads" on the next toss? still 50/50. Keep your fingers crossed for Bulaga; Kevin King too.

When it comes to the Packer O Line, my homerism fades - a lot.

RashanGary
09-18-2019, 12:41 AM
I haven't seen much of anything good from Bulaga for several years, maybe because he was playing hurt. Hell yeah, I'm surprised. As for staying healthy, yeah, I suppose that's a long shot. I generally regard injuries as a matter of luck. Some guys, though, seem to be snake bit. It's kinda like flipping a coin, though. If you get 8 or 10 straight "heads", what are the odds of "heads" on the next toss? still 50/50. Keep your fingers crossed for Bulaga; Kevin King too.

When it comes to the Packer O Line, my homerism fades - a lot.

Maybe you’re blaming everyone else for Rodgers holding the ball?

mraynrand
09-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Those receivers will eventually come open, and if it’s 75 yards downfield that just means guaranteed TD, baby!

texaspackerbacker
09-18-2019, 07:49 AM

On the contrary, I'm crediting Rodgers' mobility for the fact that our O Line has stats that are way better than what observation says their quality level is.

I'll take a QB who holds it longer and doesn't throw picks over one (of the many) who throw it quick into crowds and farts away games that way.

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2019, 08:07 AM
On the contrary, I'm crediting Rodgers' mobility for the fact that our O Line has stats that are way better than what observation says their quality level is.

I'll take a QB who holds it longer and doesn't throw picks over one (of the many) who throw it quick into crowds and farts away games that way.

I don't know if Favre farted games away, but I do know he was a world class belcher. So I would say he belched away games like that.

mraynrand
09-18-2019, 08:25 AM
For some reason Tex thinks quick throws are inherently evil. I judge each throw by the content of its character.

pbmax
09-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Well, next time Rodgers will have more faith. Well, he should now.

In his defense, its usually Williams who gets that block and Williams looks like he is going to win.

Anti-Polar Bear
09-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Got pancaked but still got the job done since 12 panicked and threw incomplete.

Perry over the hip hop safety still reeks of incompetence. Better hope Savage pans out or the search for Collins’ replacement will continue.

run pMc
09-18-2019, 11:53 AM
The OL is fine. Usually if a QB doesn't get the ball out in under 3.25 seconds, the sack is the QBs fault, and blocking for more than 5 seconds is a big ask of an OL.
Rodgers has either missed open receivers in his progressions, or the WRs haven't gotten open. I'd think you could blame that on the scheme and the QB/WRs (or give credit to the defense).

bobblehead
09-18-2019, 12:02 PM

Agreed. Protection was great. Rodgers missed on a lot of throws this game (even several that were completed). He needs to take underneath stuff to keep moving the ball and rest our D. Wish I had an overhead of the game, cuz if he is holding the ball that long and no one is open then we really do need to fire all our WR/TE.

bobblehead
09-18-2019, 12:03 PM

I ask again. Do you even watch football? Rodgers has NOT escaped many/any sacks this 2 games.

texaspackerbacker
09-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Do you even watch Packer games? Virtually every pass play over the past few years, the pass rush is in the Packers backfield a helluva lot quicker than most teams most games. That is so common that some people maybe don't even count it as avoiding a sack when Rodgers spins, dodges, or otherwise escapes the pass rush. The eternal question is how fantastic would Aaron Rodgers be if he had the pass blocking of Brady or a lot of other QBs? I doubt we will ever know.

As for watching football in general, yeah, most teams/most QBs do exactly what many in here want Rodgers to do - unload it quick, often into a crowd, occasionally for an interception. I'll take OURS over theirs any day.

pbmax
09-18-2019, 04:03 PM
I ask again. Do you even watch football? Rodgers has NOT escaped many/any sacks this 2 games.

I don't know about this. Bear game was a mess. Vikings was better. Lane Taylor got run over in the opener and Taylor got run over versus the Vikes.

It hasn't been the tire fire of last year, but its not been clean.

It has been good enough that his reads should get made.

And Rodgers mobility is back enough that he has escaped the pocket a few times and gotten wide enough to throw downfield or OOB.

RashanGary
09-18-2019, 11:06 PM
Pb,

I think turner got run over once for sure and maybe twice. Did you see more than that? He’s not great as a straight up pocket pass protector, more of an outside zone with those moving pocket kinda guys

pbmax
09-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Pb,

I think turner got run over once for sure and maybe twice. Did you see more than that? He’s not great as a straight up pocket pass protector, more of an outside zone with those moving pocket kinda guys

Saw him run over once and pushed back into Rodgers twice. It happens. Rodgers had more time versus the Vikes than the Bears. Could also be home field advantage.

pbmax
09-19-2019, 02:22 PM
Did Kevin King actually catch this INT?

I know they changed the catch rule, but doesn't it appear he lost control on the ground? Last slo-mo shot is best.

Forgot the link: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1173328769618075649

RashanGary
09-19-2019, 02:29 PM

I know they changed the catch rule, but doesn't it appear he lost control on the ground? Last slo-mo shot is best.

It sure was borderline. If they called it a drop on the field, I think it would have stayed a drop. But since they called it a catch..... it stayed that way.

If I had to lean one way or the other, I lean to drop.

mraynrand
09-19-2019, 02:38 PM

I can't see a thing

hoosier
09-19-2019, 02:57 PM
I say he caught it. Given what his body was doing, the camera angle wasn't great and made it difficult to see exactly when the ball left his hands, but it looks to me like it squirts out behind him after he comes down in the end zone and rolls over. Screen captures:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48760766498_7072c14e9b_m.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48761273562_e4c8a9529e_m.jpg

On a related note, King showed impressive catch up speed on this one. He was trailing Diggs the entire way, starting in mid end zone to left of goal posts and ending up five yards from right sideline. He really turns on the jets once the ball leaves the QBs hand.

hoosier
09-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Shit, those dinky images aren't really large enough to see the ball.

pbmax
09-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Here: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1173328769618075649

hoosier
09-19-2019, 03:09 PM
NFL rewind has better res, lets you clearly see the ball in has hands after he completes the roll. Not clear why it squirts out.

mraynrand
09-19-2019, 03:10 PM
That's a Calvin Johnson catch for sure. I also think they got the Theilen reception correct too.

Cheesehead Craig
09-19-2019, 05:24 PM
Clearly a catch.

RashanGary
09-19-2019, 05:31 PM
How do you define “through the fall?” I think it was a drop. He didn’t maintain position through the fall. However, once it was called on the field, I wouldn’t have overturned it based on the rules for that. It’s close enough that I can accept either way but if I saw it closely I would have called drop on field. It’s not a horrible Calle either way, it’s just right in that grey spot.

mraynrand
09-19-2019, 06:09 PM
How do you define “through the fall?” I think it was a drop. He didn’t maintain position through the fall. However, once it was called on the field, I wouldn’t have overturned it based on the rules for that. It’s close enough that I can accept either way but if I saw it closely I would have called drop on field. It’s not a horrible Calle either way, it’s just right in that grey spot.

I think he pulled it to his chest, possessed it, then hit the ground and was touched (play over), and then the ball came free. I could see someone arguing that he never established control of it; but that's the part you can't overturn, because there doesn't;t appear to be incontrovertible visual evidence. Called the other way, it might be hard to overturn that as well, but more likely, because he did pull the ball to his chest.

pbmax
09-19-2019, 08:26 PM

They got rid of the through the ground part of the rule.

RashanGary
09-19-2019, 09:45 PM
They got rid of the through the ground part of the rule.

What’s the rule now?

channtheman
09-19-2019, 10:57 PM
What’s the rule now?

Yeah, anyone have clarification on the new rule? Initially, I thought it was a drop because the ball squirted out at the end. But then I thought I remembered them changing the rule, but I don't really know what it is now.

pbmax
09-20-2019, 07:25 AM
New rule: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/03/20/nfl-sets-new-definitions-for-controversial-catch-rule/

RashanGary
09-20-2019, 10:18 AM
Thanks PB.

Yeah, that’s a catch then. For sure. I liked the old rule better. Made sense to me to maintain possession through the fall. It’s similar to the one, two, football move. It’s clear possession.

pbmax
09-20-2019, 10:25 AM
They should just make it simple. Two hands on ball, or arm and body PLUS one foot down in bounds. Everything after that is live.

I need to think through OBJ's one handed catches.

RashanGary
09-20-2019, 10:31 AM
That would be simpler and easier to officiate but I don’t consider it a catch until a guy really has it. Maybe that’s just years of conditioning from NFL football tho.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2019, 10:51 AM
They should just make it simple. Two hands on ball, or arm and body PLUS one foot down in bounds.

I never understood any value to making it any more difficult or complicated. Do we really see more exciting or athletic plays with players having to get two feet in bounds and demonstrate control through their next paycheck? Seems to me there will be many more circus catches if you allow one-foot inbounds. What is gained by narrowing the playing field? Why not make control a nearly instantaneous call? Who cares how long control is maintained? Maybe there is some rationale to making it harder to complete a pass that escapes me.

mraynrand
09-20-2019, 11:14 AM
I never understood any value to making it any more difficult or complicated. Do we really see more exciting or athletic plays with players having to get two feet in bounds and demonstrate control through their next paycheck? Seems to me there will be many more circus catches if you allow one-foot inbounds. What is gained by narrowing the playing field? Why not make control a nearly instantaneous call? Who cares how long control is maintained? Maybe there is some rationale to making it harder to complete a pass that escapes me.

I think you should have to maintain control all the way through the re-inflation process to normal PSI.

bobblehead
09-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Do you even watch Packer games? Virtually every pass play over the past few years, the pass rush is in the Packers backfield a helluva lot quicker than most teams most games. That is so common that some people maybe don't even count it as avoiding a sack when Rodgers spins, dodges, or otherwise escapes the pass rush. The eternal question is how fantastic would Aaron Rodgers be if he had the pass blocking of Brady or a lot of other QBs? I doubt we will ever know.

As for watching football in general, yeah, most teams/most QBs do exactly what many in here want Rodgers to do - unload it quick, often into a crowd, occasionally for an interception. I'll take OURS over theirs any day.

I'm talking THIS year and THIS ARod. He is not nearly as mobile or accurate as he once was. He has had plenty of pocket time this season. I have also been on record for years saying while Bak is good, he is over rated because Rodgers escapes the times he fails.

Through 2 games he has not avoided or saved more than 2 sacks total (I'm ballparking, I only recall one).

bobblehead
09-20-2019, 11:30 AM
I don't know about this. Bear game was a mess. Vikings was better. Lane Taylor got run over in the opener and Taylor got run over versus the Vikes.

It hasn't been the tire fire of last year, but its not been clean.

It has been good enough that his reads should get made.

And Rodgers mobility is back enough that he has escaped the pocket a few times and gotten wide enough to throw downfield or OOB.

On that bull rush rodgers fell meekly to the turf. He avoided nothing.

Fritz
09-20-2019, 11:36 AM

This could all be resolved - as well as what constitutes a fumble - if the NFL went back to the simple rules we used in our back yard football games from the 1970's:

- If the ball doesn't touch the ground as you are falling out of bounds ("bounds" being the imaginary line between the two pine trees on the right; between the grape vine post and the maple on the left side of the field), you caught it. Doesn't matter if you juggled it or not; if it's in your arms and didn't touch the ground, you caught it.

- It's a fumble if the ball comes out. Mike Kammer knocks you on your ass while you're running toward the goal line (the "goal line" being the imaginary line between the edge of the garden and the blue spruce), and you hit the ground, causing the ball to pop out - that's a fumble. Dave Kreuger tackles you, you stumble, one knee hits the ground, the ball comes out - that's a fumble.

mraynrand
09-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Dave Kreuger from Franklin? He never tackled anyone.

Fritz
09-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Nah, Dave Kreuger from Anchorville Michigan. He lives in Kentucky now.

mraynrand
09-20-2019, 11:44 AM
Nah, Dave Kreuger from Anchorville Michigan. He lives in Kentucky now.

Morehead? lol

pbmax
09-20-2019, 11:45 AM
On that bull rush rodgers fell meekly to the turf. He avoided nothing.

I'd say he and the line are not in sync past 2.5 seconds. Which sounds like a big ask, but there were times through 2016 (when Bulaga was healthy or there was just one sub on the O line) when between Rodgers moving inside the pocket and unreal Pass Pro, they often went for five seconds with a clean pocket.

Rodgers was so in sync he could get the DL to move toward his feints and then hop back into place, giving the tackle an edge he did not previously have.

Honestly, with a list of things the offense needs to iron out, I'd be happy for him to kneel after 3 seconds and facing big pressure. We don't need more hits early in the season.

But I do think his speed/reaction time has come back a bit. He is not getting chased down from behind as much as the last two years when he rolls out.

Fritz
09-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Morehead? lol

No, thanks.

mraynrand
09-20-2019, 02:20 PM
No, thanks.

lol I set em up, you knock 'em down. Err...sort of.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2019, 05:22 PM
This could all be resolved - as well as what constitutes a fumble - if the NFL went back to the simple rules we used in our back yard football games from the 1970's:

- If the ball doesn't touch the ground as you are falling out of bounds ("bounds" being the imaginary line between the two pine trees on the right; between the grape vine post and the maple on the left side of the field), you caught it. Doesn't matter if you juggled it or not; if it's in your arms and didn't touch the ground, you caught it.

- It's a fumble if the ball comes out. Mike Kammer knocks you on your ass while you're running toward the goal line (the "goal line" being the imaginary line between the edge of the garden and the blue spruce), and you hit the ground, causing the ball to pop out - that's a fumble. Dave Kreuger tackles you, you stumble, one knee hits the ground, the ball comes out - that's a fumble.

This forum is gradually turning into a rest home.

mraynrand
09-20-2019, 05:49 PM
This forum is gradually turning into a rest home.

Speak for yourself, gramps! :)

Fritz
09-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Dagnabbit, this forum is gradually turning into a gosh dern rest home.

FIFY