PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 3 vs. Denver

pbmax
09-22-2019, 03:08 PM
Another win featuring some ugly offense and poor tackling on running plays. But they held it together at the end.

Dr. Zaius and Gary got hurt but came back. Preston Smith will get a game ball as will Jamaal Williams.

Corey Linsley and the O lone got abused at times.

mraynrand
09-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Week 2 time warp!

pbmax
09-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Week 2 time warp!

Stupid Auto Fill!

RashanGary
09-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Tonyan quit on a deep route
2 drops from MVS
1 drop from Allison
Untimely hold on Graham
AR with delay of game
AR with 3 easy misses when not setting feet
AR pouting like Cutler and just giving up on plays for two series

pbmax
09-22-2019, 03:25 PM
Offensive disfunction continues after similar good start as last week. Some really perplexing drives and calls in second half.

Rodgers definitely missed 2 throws and had 2 or 3 drops or the first half is nearly a blowout. They had a tough time running versus the Broncos but actually found some room in the second half.

But there were two drives that just looked like a team mutiny rather than a game plan.

RashanGary
09-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Defense gave up run yardage but three turnovers and only gave up 16 points

RashanGary
09-22-2019, 03:27 PM
But there were two drives that just looked like a team mutiny rather than a game plan.

That was only one player. Not team. Not one other player looked that way.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Tonyan quit on a deep route
2 drops from MVS
1 drop from Allison
Untimely hold on Graham
AR with delay of game
AR with 3 easy misses when not setting feet
AR pouting like Cutler and just giving up on plays for two series

Not sure Tonyan quit on the route.

What was Rodgers 3rd miss? He missed open sideline (overhead again) and then over threw a crossing route to GMO later (the set your body one way, throw other).

His short game, screens, flats and slants looked better.

RashanGary
09-22-2019, 03:29 PM
If AR hadn't already pulled this with the last coach, Id consider giving him the benefit of the doubt. But this is who he is as a person.

RashanGary
09-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Not sure Tonyan quit on the route.

What was Rodgers 3rd miss? He missed open sideline (overhead again) and then over threw a crossing route to GMO later (the set your body one way, throw other).

His short game, screens, flats and slants looked better.

Rewatch it. He gave up early and then when he saw it in the air, started running again.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 03:30 PM
That was only one player. Not team. Not one other player looked that way.

And you are sure the rest of the team ran the right routes?

On the last of those plays, it looked like a bad protection call that was defeated almost immediately.

George Cumby
09-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Can't bring myself to sit in front of the TV/Computer at 10 am on a beautiful Sunday morning. Filled a dumpster instead. Yay.

But the box score looks like a solid team win. No hundred yard receiver or rusher for the other guys, no picks for 12, three sacks for the D, almost 100 yards for MVS.

Win is a win is a win.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Can't bring myself to sit in front of the TV/Computer at 10 am on a beautiful Sunday morning. Filled a dumpster instead. Yay.

But the box score looks like a solid team win. No hundred yard receiver or rusher for the other guys, no picks for 12, three sacks for the D, almost 100 yards for MVS.

Win is a win is a win.

Think it was 5 sacks total.

George Cumby
09-22-2019, 03:50 PM
Think it was 5 sacks total.

Even better.

mmmdk
09-22-2019, 03:53 PM
Even better.

6 sacks.

George Cumby
09-22-2019, 03:59 PM
6 sacks.

Do I hear 7?

red
09-22-2019, 04:03 PM
am i wrong when i say that we are 0-3 right now if it wasn't for our stellar D?

gbgary
09-22-2019, 04:08 PM

no doubt. it gave up a lot of yards today but the turnovers they got were massive.

George Cumby
09-22-2019, 04:09 PM

Not wrong but is it relevant?

wthigoot
09-22-2019, 04:12 PM

Win is a win is a win.

The left upright came through with a nice block on that extra point.

Joemailman
09-22-2019, 04:15 PM
You don't get to the Super Bowl by playing your best football in September. But you can miss a chance at the Super Bowl if you can't win in September. The offense needs to get better, but you can't be better than 3-0 at this point.

This team has come ready to play every game. That alone is an improvement over the recent past.

red
09-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Not wrong but is it relevant?

just seems weird to think about after years of our defense shitting all over the field all the time

red
09-22-2019, 04:17 PM
You don't get to the Super Bowl by playing your best football in September. But you can miss a chance at the Super Bowl if you can't win in September. The offense needs to get better, but you can't be better than 3-0 at this point.

This team has come ready to play every game. That alone is an improvement over the recent past.

thats very true,we're coming out of the gates hot

that was rare with stubby the last few seasons

RashanGary
09-22-2019, 04:25 PM
The offense was better than the last two games. Still looks dysfunctional in stretches though. They’re not gonna be able to beat Dallas the way they’re playing now.

call_me_ishmael
09-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Is JK Scott the best punter in the league?

Is Jaire Alexander the best corner in the league?

Dallas has the best roster in the NFL imo, but I’m just a guy and they haven’t played anybody. The NFC is stacked. Seattle is gonna be a bitch come January too.

I think we’ve got something here fellas.

beveaux1
09-22-2019, 04:55 PM
We're 3-0 and haven't even played an average game offensively. Pretty remarkable.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 07:50 PM
No one has anything on the throwaways or the sideline meeting. Everyone is harping on Adams 21 targets over 3 games and lack of TDs.

Last year he averaged 11 targets per game (Silverstein).

pbmax
09-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Finally, a motto for the offense:

“I learned from one of my former teammates, Ryan Anderson of Washington,” outside linebacker Preston Smith said. “He told me this motto a couple years ago that one of his friends from his hometown said. ‘Don’t worry about the mule going blind. Load the wagon.’ We don’t care about what happens. We just know, ‘load the wagon.’ We don’t care what you give us. We’re going to go out there and we’re going to move it, we’re going to execute, we’re going to play hard and we’re going to play together.”

red
09-22-2019, 08:05 PM
Finally, a motto for the offense:

bunch of jackasses?

pbmax
09-22-2019, 08:06 PM
bunch of jackasses?

I was thinking Blind Mule

red
09-22-2019, 08:07 PM
I was thinking Blind Mule

ah, blind jackasses

hoosier
09-22-2019, 08:09 PM

Good points. Teams that play perfect ball in September are rarely still perfect when you need to be.

texaspackerbacker
09-22-2019, 09:00 PM
The blind mule thing is just another way of saying R E L A X.

The Packers have beaten three way above average teams (well, maybe not the Broncos), and they have done so playing, honestly, moderately shitty offensive football. There's not much to complain about there. Winning when you're not playing your best is generally considered a sign of a good team.

The Chiefs, Patriots, and Cowboys are gonna be tough, but I don't see anybody else that would be considered a favorite to beat the Packers, and it ought to be close even against those three.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 09:50 PM
The blind mule thing is just another way of saying R E L A X.

The Packers have beaten three way above average teams (well, maybe not the Broncos), and they have done so playing, honestly, moderately shitty offensive football. There's not much to complain about there. Winning when you're not playing your best is generally considered a sign of a good team.

The Chiefs, Patriots, and Cowboys are gonna be tough, but I don't see anybody else that would be considered a favorite to beat the Packers, and it ought to be close even against those three.

The blind mule story is that the mule train will still run because someone with sight can lead the train. He doesn't need to see, just pull. So don't worry about what others will be responsible for, do you job.

But we here at PackerRats are not the train loaders. Or the mule.

Out job is to over-react to problems on the team. And the list is impressive for a 3-0 team: special team coverage units, offense, and defense stopping the run.

Also, the Vikes (18th), the Bears (13th) and the Broncos (27th) are not above average. The Eagles (10th) the Chiefs (4th) and the Cowboys (5th) are above average. I don't know what year the Packers will next play the Patriots, but its not this year.

ThunderDan
09-22-2019, 09:52 PM
I don't know what year the Packers will next play the Patriots, but its not this year.

bobblehead
09-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Defense gave up run yardage but three turnovers and only gave up 16 points

Late, when they needed the stop they stuffed the run. I think the design is to allow run and avoid big plays against so we can get stops on 3rd down. Working so far, but its playing with fire.

bobblehead
09-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Rewatch it. He gave up early and then when he saw it in the air, started running again.

Somewhat agree. I thought same thing. He gave up, and then "shit, he actually threw it to me". Almost had enough to catch up, but if he had run thru it, TD.

bobblehead
09-22-2019, 10:09 PM

Hard to say. Without the stellar D, would they open up the playbook and score more? Likely you are right, but that was sort of the plan coming into the season. ARod, for all the gruff I and others give him, hasn't thrown a pick. Part of our Stellar D is that the Offense hasn't put them in too many holes, and hasn't hung them on the field for 3/4s of the game.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Hard to say. Without the stellar D, would they open up the playbook and score more? Likely you are right, but that was sort of the plan coming into the season. ARod, for all the gruff I and others give him, hasn't thrown a pick. Part of our Stellar D is that the Offense hasn't put them in too many holes, and hasn't hung them on the field for 3/4s of the game.

Leads do help.

bobblehead
09-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Is JK Scott the best punter in the league?

Is Jaire Alexander the best corner in the league?

Dallas has the best roster in the NFL imo, but I’m just a guy and they haven’t played anybody. The NFC is stacked. Seattle is gonna be a bitch come January too.

I think we’ve got something here fellas.

Jaire is very good. Not the best in the league, but really good. You know what I really noticed today about Jaire? They were throwing his way...as in, they weren't really throwing at King much. What does that tell you.

pbmax
09-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Jaire is very good. Not the best in the league, but really good. You know what I really noticed today about Jaire? They were throwing his way...as in, they weren't really throwing at King much. What does that tell you.

They nearly torched him deep twice. He got beat cleanly in the first half. Hard to tell with Flacco.

bobblehead
09-22-2019, 10:13 PM
bunch of jackasses?

That's what I took away from that.

bobblehead
09-22-2019, 10:17 PM
They nearly torched him deep twice. He got beat cleanly in the first half. Hard to tell with Flacco.

Yea, he also isn't the best in the league, but he is good enough that opposite Jaire, they aren't targeting him all that much.

call_me_ishmael
09-22-2019, 11:51 PM

I didn't watch the game so I have no idea what went down but I see all over Twitter that people thought King had a really bad game. Not really sure since my own eyes didn't watch a single snap.

RashanGary
09-23-2019, 02:10 AM
They do throw at jaire a lot more than King. Maybe King is locking down better than we give credit. When he was out, Tony Brown was abused by turdbisky

Anti-Polar Bear
09-23-2019, 06:56 AM
They do throw at jaire a lot more than King. Maybe King is locking down better than we give credit. When he was out, Tony Brown was abused by turdbisky

King was beat for a couple of large gains. First one was a short pass but 20 missed the tackle. 2nd one, a bomb, King slowed down midway for some reason. The Diggs bomb last week was also on King. I don't recall J-Alex allowing a bomb this season.

23 is starting to arouse me, but not in the gay way. He has the making of a shutdown corner. Belichick loved the guy during the 2018 draft.

Zool
09-23-2019, 07:44 AM
King hates to tackle. He avoids it at all costs. He gives up chunk plays, but then so does every DB. I just wish his run support was better, and he was willing to hit a guy going over the middle.

pbmax
09-23-2019, 07:45 AM
Defense yielded 4.0 ypc overall (not including Flacco). Offense got 3.3.

Defense not as leaky as I thought, but too many big plays on inside runs.

pbmax
09-23-2019, 07:51 AM
King hates to tackle. He avoids it at all costs. He gives up chunk plays, but then so does every DB. I just wish his run support was better, and he was willing to hit a guy going over the middle.

This isn't my sense of him. I think he likes to tackle. He ruined his shoulder twice on tackles last year.

But he isn't great on a long run to the ball carrier and then breaking down to get a take down. He flew past that guy yesterday on the smallest of hesitation moves.

Zool
09-23-2019, 07:53 AM
This isn't my sense of him. I think he likes to tackle. He ruined his shoulder twice on tackles last year.

But he isn't great on a long run to the ball carrier and then breaking down to get a take down. He flew past that guy yesterday on the smallest of hesitation moves.

He had a couple pretty bad ones yesterday and against the Vikes. Maybe he's gun-shy after injury?

pbmax
09-23-2019, 07:55 AM
53 total offensive plays, 23 runs, 30 passes. 44/56%

Scott had a net average of 47.2

pbmax
09-23-2019, 07:56 AM
He had a couple pretty bad ones yesterday and against the Vikes. Maybe he's gun-shy after injury?

Possible. The whole team look like toddlers trying to tackle someone on the move. Martinez had one of the few clean hits from distance and his guy wasn't looking.

mraynrand
09-23-2019, 08:22 AM
53 total offensive plays, 23 runs, 30 passes. 44/56%

Scott had a net average of 47.2

Scott is right at Hentrick’s career year level.

call_me_ishmael
09-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Man this is brutal. https://twitter.com/zachkruse2/status/1176141235934945280

pbmax
09-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Disagree on both counts. Hard to see his hands, but that blocked looked OK. Another case where defender going to ground caught ref attention.

On pass play, Graham helping to block then leaks out, not a primary on the play call. He should have stayed, but Rodgers was just throwing it away. Even if Jimmy stands still, not sure its a completion.

The fact that he is reduced to blocking is telling us all we need to know.

pbmax
09-23-2019, 11:47 AM
New Rodgers theory: Matchups versus Scheme

Scheme calls for 10 targets to Scantron because he is singled up. Adams gets 4 targets. Scantron gets 6 catches, Adams 4.

Rodgers would prefer to invert that by designing Adams open. M4 wants to call the offense and make the read.

mraynrand
09-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Scheme calls for 10 targets to Scantron because he is singled up. Adams gets 4 targets. Scantron gets 6 catches, Adams 4.

Rodgers would prefer to invert that by designing Adams open. M4 wants to call the offense and make the read.

This makes sense. And going on the ‘Cheat philosophy of defense, they’d be wrong to scheme Adams open more than developing other targets (like Vitale Signs and Exxon). Because if they simply get better scheming Adams open, at some point Cheat or someone else will just shut that down and they have no place to go. Develop the 2 and 3 options and the checkdown and teams watching that film will have to come off Adams to cover the others better and voila, Adams will be open again. Do the hard work now and pay dividends in Dec/Jan.

run pMc
09-23-2019, 12:43 PM

the 1st play I think he's blocking Chubb and struggles. Meh. That's not his strong point. If I were the DC I'd be happy to see Graham assigned to block Chubb.
the 2nd play I thought was more on Rodgers -- he either had him early or needed to throw it on the up. I'm thinking they just weren't on the same page, but I also thought Rodgers had other options.

There are times it seems like Rodgers isn't delivering the ball on time. It can be hard to tell what his primary reads or progressions on the plays are, but they are not in sync right now.

pbmax
09-23-2019, 01:56 PM
There are times it seems like Rodgers isn't delivering the ball on time. It can be hard to tell what his primary reads or progressions on the plays are, but they are not in sync right now.

I think this is very true. And I have not read a convincing theory for why, except maybe for Joe's idea that there are some throws he can't make anymore and just refuses.

The confounding thing is that he seems to have no problem with this and the opening script. There must just be some plays (against some looks) he just does not believe in.

Peyton Manning refused to run a certain boot play against a Wide 9 defender because he was certain he would get crushed. Maybe something like that?

deake
09-23-2019, 02:30 PM
On the play where a Denver lineman pulled the runner into the end zone on 4th down, I know there is a rule against that, is it ever called?

RashanGary
09-23-2019, 02:36 PM

Reasonable. I could see this being at least a part of the problem

gbgary
09-23-2019, 02:37 PM

he wrecked his shoulders tackling people. if he's avoiding it i haven't noticed but maybe he's been told not to be such a kamikaze.

mraynrand
09-23-2019, 02:41 PM
On the play where a Denver lineman pulled the runner into the end zone on 4th down, I know there is a rule against that, is it ever called?

Rule 12, section 1

"ARTICLE 4. ASSISTING THE RUNNER AND INTERLOCKING INTERFERENCE. No offensive player may:
(a) pull a runner in any direction at any time;
(b) use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate in an
effort to block an opponent; or
(c) push or throw his body against a teammate to aid him in an attempt to obstruct an opponent or to recover a loose ball.
Penalty: For assisting the runner, interlocking interference, or illegal use of hands, arms, or body by the offense: Loss
of 10 yards."

I see it called less and less often, especially the "pushing the pile" variety, because reading the rule, that variety isn't illegal.

pbmax
09-23-2019, 02:45 PM

Rarely, but that was pretty blatant.

mraynrand
09-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Rarely, but that was pretty blatant.

review all plays!

Cheesehead Craig
09-23-2019, 03:43 PM
review all plays!

My daughter's high school production of "Hello Dolly!" didn't start off particularly strong..

Freak Out
09-23-2019, 05:36 PM
lol